Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Welcome to the Ballroom
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 16, 2017 4:59 PM

May 2010
The MC is starting to annoy me already but let's see. I like Hyoudo so far.

And the ED song really is brilliant.
Jul 16, 2017 5:00 PM

Jul 2014
Absolutely terrible. A show about dancing should at least be drawn by someone who has seen a human before. Every character was drawn like Mr. Fantastic.
Jul 16, 2017 5:12 PM

Jan 2015
wow very good direction this episode and just a splendid execution. We got introduced to 3 characters and one very important one, established relationship with those 3 where Hyoudou basically says he doesnt care about anything and even if he loses her partner but in reality he treasures them the most from everyone else. Also its quite obvious Shizuku totally in love with Hyoudou, how she cares for him when he is sick, how she is frustarted where he got hit, how she was frustrated when he said he doesnt care what happens with his partner. And MC is basically a fan of Hyoudou right now especially after seeing his "dance with a ghost' i'll call it that.

Very very good buildup episode. What i hope for is that MC doesnt get really good really quick, i doubt its very easy to jump into dancing and become good very fast. Let at least several years pass lol
Jul 16, 2017 5:28 PM

Sep 2016
you need to be part-giraffe if you want to be a good ballroom dancer XD
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jul 16, 2017 5:33 PM

May 2014
these first 2 episodes have been so good that I could cry

Everything was on point again this week- music, art/animation, character interactions & expressions in particular.
And god, Hyoudou's solo at the end there looked gorgeous *o*

I really like Hyoudou actually, which surprised me because I thought he was gonna be your typical hard-ass, stoic rival character we get in most sports anime...but he's absolutely adorkable and his yawns are hilarious XD

I guess the idea of Shizuku being Tatara's partner is squandered since she's been with Hyoudou for nine years. Hopefully he gets a cute dance partner of his own soon!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2017 5:41 PM

May 2015
Sokah said:
Absolutely terrible. A show about dancing should at least be drawn by someone who has seen a human before. Every character was drawn like Mr. Fantastic.

The show's terrible just because of that?

Jul 16, 2017 6:00 PM

Dec 2012
Great episode. Awesome to see Kiyoharu & Shizuku dance.

LOL Fujita accidently walking on Shizuku changing. Fujita learning to dance by following Kiyoharu.
Love how determined he is to do his best.

Sengoku has some hilarious reaction faces.
DAMN seeing Kiyoharu shadow dance was cool. The glow really portrays his tenacity.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jul 16, 2017 6:01 PM

Apr 2014
yeah this episode was better than the last, i didn't think it was as cringy. i still have yet to get used to the awkward body proportions but i'm getting there
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2017 7:03 PM

Jun 2013
Another great episode!
However while it was funny and also pretty hot, was the cliche Changing room scene really necessary?
Jul 16, 2017 7:07 PM

Jan 2011
pretty funny episode sorta gotten used to the necks they only look really long during the dancing, I.G using dat Haikyuu Black ink effect for Hyoudou's solo was great
Jul 16, 2017 7:15 PM
Apr 2017
ewelee said:
I love the adaptation so far!
I feel like it;s going to be my favourite amine this season <3

Me too! I think this anime is my favourite for the season... It is inspiring, fun, and it has a very good storyline...😊 I read the manga and because of that, I become excited to watch how the dance movements are animated...

Though, in episode 2, I am disappointed to see Hyoudo's competition scene... It somehow didn't show that Hyoudo is superb...only the result of the competition represents how good Hyoudo and his partner dance in the competition...

Other than that, this episode made me laugh a lot! Really can't wait for the next episode! 😂
Jul 16, 2017 8:06 PM

Dec 2016
HyperL said:
Also, I know they're probably just saving budget for the more important dances, but the amount of still shots this episode still bothered me.
It's hard to get a grasp of how amazing their dance moves are when you can't see them in animated action you know.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Too many still shots in the beginning. Really wanted to see some quality animation... but would have settled for at least a little movement here and there in the competition scene.

In general, the episode kind of left me with meh. Some of the excitement from the first episode felt missing. Hoping next week will have a bit more drama.
Jul 16, 2017 8:39 PM

May 2015
I like this anime. Pretty lighthearted and easy to watch, but it looks good. Hyoudou looks like a chill guy. He may be one of those quiet tsundere types who says he "doesn't care about his partner" but "cares about his partner more than anyone else." Personally I ship Hyoudou and Hanaoka. I hope it stays that way and let Fujita level up in his dancing skills. I wish the competition wasn't a whole bunch of still frames. I want to see it animated smoothly and beautifully. Looks like the next episode will have a faster dance, so I hope to see that animated as well.

TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:17 AM
Jul 16, 2017 8:41 PM

Dec 2014
well nice character development...can wait for more
Jul 16, 2017 8:47 PM

May 2016
SakurasouBusters said:
Another great episode!
However while it was funny and also pretty hot, was the cliche Changing room scene really necessary?

Considering that we got to see Shizuku in just underwear, I think it was totally worth it XD.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 16, 2017 8:57 PM
May 2009
LaPokota said:
HyperL said:
Also, I know they're probably just saving budget for the more important dances, but the amount of still shots this episode still bothered me.
It's hard to get a grasp of how amazing their dance moves are when you can't see them in animated action you know.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Too many still shots in the beginning. Really wanted to see some quality animation... but would have settled for at least a little movement here and there in the competition scene.

In general, the episode kind of left me with meh. Some of the excitement from the first episode felt missing. Hoping next week will have a bit more drama.

Pretty much this. The fact that the first two episodes did not feature any quality dancing other than stills or 2 second scenes (and, no, the basic doesn't count, although that, too, is very short) does not make me expect them to animate them in more details in the future. At least yuri on ice, for all its faults, had a lovingly animated a full ice skating routine in the very first episode. This anime, on the other hand, feels more like the first season of Nodame Cantabile in terms of its animation, except 10 times worse, because at least Nodame, a series about an orchestra, did not skimp on music.

And as someone who did do ballroom for several years, the way they are teaching him (practicing completely on his own without a partner) is driving me up the wall and completely mad. This is not how you ballroom. Yes, practicing on your own is important, but until you have the weight of your partner in your arms, until you know how to make them respond to your movements and make them move, you don't know how to lead. Which means that, as a leader, you don't know how to dance. Oh, and they decided that this is a perfect time to get him pants for dancing. Like that is the single most important thing for him to have at this point in his studies.
Jul 16, 2017 9:12 PM
Jul 2018
Exellent episode!!! it has so much to do with H.I.(altho this one had super fast development, maybe less complicated than boxing?)! Cool! Dammit! I wanna join ballroom now :( [dammit, MC was lucky there...]
Jul 16, 2017 9:46 PM

Apr 2016
I’d like to see more ballroom dancing in the future. Having stills or a few seconds of the ballroom dancing wasn’t enough for me. :/

As someone who has experience with ballroom dancing, I find it odd that Fujita hasn’t been assigned a partner yet. Ballroom dancing is done by two people. You learn how to move with someone else, and you learn how to respond to your partner. In my experiences, we rotated partners. There were more females than males in the room, so that gave females the opportunities to dance with different leaders and to practice alone like Kiyoharu has. So I’m in no way invalidating dancing alone, but learning ballroom dancing is easier (and more fun!) when you dance with a partner. I don’t understand why Sengoku and the two teachers were laughing and exploding at Fujita, when they should have taught him how to hold his –imaginary– partner and express what it’s like to dance together.

It also seemed unrealistic for Sengoku to ‘see’ Shizuku when Fujita was dancing, because this protagonist hasn’t grasped or understood the way she moves yet. It makes sense to see Shizuku when Kiyoharu practices alone, because he has been dancing with her for nine years and he pictures her with him. But Fujita? That doesn’t make sense. In my experiences for example, rotating partners allowed people to see who you were compatible dancing with; not everyone connects with everyone. -_- So, we don’t even know Fujita and Shizuku’s compatibility as ballroom dancing partners at this point.

I'm glad we saw Kiyoharu this episode. I'd definitely like to see his side of the story in the future. Kiyoharu is very dedicated to ballroom dancing; he's been partnered with Shizuku since they were five years old, and he practices with her and by himself. But Kiyoharu's so great at ballroom dancing that he was bored when he and Shizuku won... Japan is no longer a challenge to Kiyoharu, which is why he wants to go overseas. I want to see more of Kiyoharu and Shizuku's relationship. So far, it doesn't seem that Kiyoharu is forcing Shizuku to go overseas with him either; it's her choice.

Fujita was in no place to think of telling Kiyoharu off, since this protagonist has no idea what Kiyoharu is experiencing. Shizuku wasn't complaining about Kiyoharu and even said her partner cares about her. :/ – Yes, Shizuku was unhappy when Kiyoharu said, "I don't care," after Sengoku teased our talented dancer of his partner being 'stolen' by Fujita, but if that was really an issue, Shizuku could just talk with Kiyoharu one-on-one. Shizuku and Kiyoharu have been dancing together for almost a decade after all. @.@ So at the moment, I’m not fond of Fujita. I hope the protagonist matures later on.

I'm also dissatisfied with Shizuku being sexualized; it was unnecessary to see Shizuku's undergarments while she was in the middle of changing.

I acknowledge Fujita's talent at learning by watching others dance. His assigned teachers didn't seem very relevant. Would these two people serve a purpose later in the story?

I hope Fujita falls deeply in love with ballroom dancing later. So far, he’s been fascinated by Sengoku’s dancing, and says that Shizuku is beautiful –but anyone would look beautiful during ballroom dancing competitions– but I don’t know why else Fujita is drawn to ballroom dancing. I hope to see more passion from Fujita.

I hope in the next episode, there's progression. I like the ending theme song at least; it’s mature and hopeful. :)
Jul 16, 2017 10:05 PM

Jul 2014
Kittens-kun said:
Sokah said:

The show's terrible just because of that?

No, but if a hobo vomited on your shoe, you probably wouldn't be commenting on his body odor, face tattoos, and aggressive flatulence.

The main character is garbage, overreacting, not noticing he's destroyed his feet for at least a week (oh wait, that injury just magically vanished) or that he's spent all night "practicing." He doesn't even remotely resemble a human being in action anymore than the characters resemble human beings in form. It's like watching some weird show about aliens that share nothing with humans besides architecture and car design.

This isn't a show about mecha, magic or explosions, it's a show about dancing and people, and it's completely screwing those two things up.

We get a few shows like this almost every cour, although often the activity is sports, and this is the worst I've seen of any of them. I'd take another season of Baby Steps, Yuri on Ice or Tribe Cool Crew over this garbage any day. Even this cour's "Dive" is better. At least in Dive they sort of look like humans.
SokahJul 16, 2017 10:11 PM
Jul 16, 2017 10:27 PM

Jan 2010
stand said:
Shicchi said:
My first impression from watching last ep preview was he is gonna be the arrogant jerk with amazing talent like Bakugou so I was looking forward to hear more screaming from Okamoto Nobuhiko.

This is blasphemy to want another Okamoto Nobuhiko Bakugoushit screaming character in my precious Hyoudou.

He's so perfect that he even glows in the dark. More neck comments.... then how come I never hear about all the loli that look like disfigured bobble-heads?

Aww don't be like that, I love my precious asshole boy Katsuki too! So you should be flattered I was expecting myself to like a character I knew nothing about except the fact that he is a prodigy and also his seiyuu!

Anyway, I already grow to like Kiyoharu more than Tatara so, yeah, talented and hard working characters are my forte, screaming or not lol. And also Okamoto Nobuhiko <3

Ask to those lolicons about the lolis
I don't mind the long necks it just needs time to grow used to.
CrimsonMidnightJul 16, 2017 10:31 PM
Jul 16, 2017 10:35 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
I'm really liking the art style, even the really exaggerated dance poses, and, yes, even the giraffe necks. But Hyodo's super furry eyelashes? DON'T WANT. (And they called Yuzu "matsuge"!) I can't wait to see Tatara's growth -- it will be exponential. Dunno what to think about the "voluptuous" instructor... but for what it's worth, I'm happy to see a greater diversity of body types and gender expression in anime.
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Jul 16, 2017 10:39 PM

Aug 2016
Wow thought I wouldn't like a dance anime but its turning out to be really interesting. Though, I'm not sure about you guys but I'm getting this feeling that the anime will take a focus on Fujita wanting to dance with Hanaoka. It's not that I don't want this to happen, but I really hope that the anime focuses on the dance aspects and Fujita gaining confidence not only in the dance floor but also in real life.

I don't usually like to make suggestions to animes, especially ones that just started, but I really want them to introduce a long-term partner for Fujita, who also sucks at dancing but has a lot of potential, and focus on their partnership. Like they said, Fujita is not on Hyoudou's radar and they should keep it that way for a long time.

Personally I feel like this anime can easily have a couple of seasons. I'm just praying that Fujita doesn't become some amazing dancer in like one season. Please do not rush this anime!!!
Jul 17, 2017 1:24 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Even though this episode wasn't as good as the first episode, it was still pretty good and an essential block for what is to be coming in the next episode. Personally, I loved the ending the most where an imaginary dancer appears to be dancing along Fujita thus proving his worth as a dancer. However, the comedy of this show seems pretty bland to me as I only giggled a couple of times at most while cringing at the rest. Well, not like I particularly mind that...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 17, 2017 2:42 AM

Jan 2016
Looks like the MC is NTRed at 2 episodes XD joking aside

Really great episode, nice dance especially the one at the end of episode. Hope next week episode will be more interesting(judging from the preview I guess it'll be)
Jul 17, 2017 3:06 AM

Jul 2013
Luckily I checked out the manga after the first episode or I would have dropped this anime right away after watching this episode. I'm just disappointed by the direction, the voice acting, and many other things. Somehow the manga captured the intensity better than the anime, which is saying a lot considering it's a dance manga and should have had better portrayal in animated form. While I understand the difficulty of the task, it was still a let down to see the dance competition were mostly still shots. If the 3rd episode is still like this, I'd rather drop the anime and stick to the manga.
Jul 17, 2017 6:33 AM

Aug 2016
Sad said:
i definitely don't like the OP after another listen, the ED on the other hand... pretty nice

the opening is a massive miss and waste. they could have easily chosen somethign more " afrocaribbean" considering the importance of latinamerican dancing style, but they had to chose that lame song
:v
Jul 17, 2017 7:01 AM
Sep 2013
Wow. That scene when Hyoudou was practising along was awesome! The music really complemented that scene and the colour palette that they used for it was very pleasing to the eyes! So far, I'm loving it :)
Jul 17, 2017 7:09 AM

Jun 2008
The music blended well with the scenes especially the last one, Sengoku is fast to pick on Tatara's ability which makes him a great dancer/teacher, his facial expressions are funny xD
Jul 17, 2017 7:53 AM

Oct 2008
gaining an imaginary shadow partner proves that Fujita is quickly improving!
I'm really getting freaked-out of their over-excessive LONG giraffe necks!
nice curves and accidental peep-show bu Shizuku!
4/5.
matias067Jul 17, 2017 8:05 AM

Jul 17, 2017 8:45 AM

Jul 2015
People in this anime like to dance with ghosts, spooky.
Jul 17, 2017 8:58 AM

Jun 2017
The really long necks are bugging me. But this episode was quite funny especially with Hyodo's yawning and Sengoku's jeering.
Jul 17, 2017 9:53 AM

Jul 2012
These kids look like they're at least in their last year of high school and look even older when they're dressed up to dance. But then you remember that they are only 14 😅

I'm loving the OST so far, and this episode was great! And it gets even better when you remember that this will be 2 cours. Can't wait for more 😊
Jul 17, 2017 10:59 AM

Dec 2015
I constantly find myself smiling and excited while watching this anime, it's definitely a very relatable anime for me, looking forward to the next episode!!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jul 17, 2017 12:02 PM

Mar 2013
Seems our MC have OP rival present here.

Some of the dance poses were outright hilarious and some were majestic af lmao.

The art might seem good for the panel-wise manga but it comes off hilarious at times in anime.

Wow watching that literally hurts lol

Yup, definitely reminiscent of Takamura from Ippo haha

What?
What's with that face that basically saying "aewgasfdsfa" right now!

Yeah. I'm getting too. But entirely for a different reason .-.

Wow, nice fan service and definitely nice body proportions for once ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, this scene looks good. Hyoudou is a monster in this sport.

Will our MC be able to steal the girl from Hyoudou??
FinalFlash18Jul 17, 2017 12:06 PM
Jul 17, 2017 1:03 PM

Nov 2016
Still my favorite anime this season, characters, animation, OSTs, comedy and the vibe I'm receiving, everything is really good.

The last scene where Tatara managed to do the Shadow Dancing gave me the chills.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 17, 2017 3:03 PM

May 2016
really looking forward to the continual excitement of this series.

Jul 17, 2017 8:18 PM

Mar 2014
what we got are numerous still frames instead of dancing animation.
Jul 17, 2017 8:48 PM

Jun 2013
that was funny this gonna be good i can tell
Jul 18, 2017 12:52 AM

Aug 2014
This episode was so good.
We got a bit of dance from a pro,the shadow practice thingy and some character development
The MC is quite amazing,he steals stuff very quickly and is hard working but I can't deny I love the red head,such a pro,such a work,such a beauty
Jul 18, 2017 1:57 AM

Dec 2013
Laughing at everyone saying that Tatara's love rival is Hyoudou. You all don't even know.... XD

Tatara's ability to mimic what he's seen is amazing, though he's still got a long way to go before he actually becomes any good. I can't wait until Sengoku's partner appears. Molto hilarious times ahead.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 18, 2017 7:29 AM
Jul 2017
I think this anime is going to be my top 1 for this season i mean it's only the 2nd episode and i m so thrilled ! looking forward to the next one
Jul 18, 2017 9:11 AM
May 2015
Blah! I though this could be a good choice when it comes to another artistic sport, but so very little dance animated, I don't get the idea of wanting to surprise later on with amazing animation. I guess YoI did spoil me, because there were minutes of animated skating every episode.

Also, the lack of sound some of the time kinda breaks the mood. And the comedic scenes are out there. Gonna wait a bit to see what happens in the future to decide if I watch this again or not.
Jul 18, 2017 9:33 AM
Sep 2016
I am just confused, with hyoudou relationship with shizuku whether they are lovers, childhood friends or just as a pair of dancers in the ballroom

Anyone understand the answer?

Another question, does my shizuku with tatara like each other?

Mod edit: Combined double posts
ArdanazJul 19, 2017 1:15 AM
Jul 18, 2017 5:25 PM
Jun 2016
So far am enjoying this greatly, but I only have one problem and it's what many people are still pointing out: the necks. They are very noticeably long. Very. Quite... hilarious. I have this little urge to grab and choke them. lol Wonder if this will be a meme for this anime soon?

SoundsOfTheWild3 said:
alpha_shadow said:

The necks haven't bothered me once, I think you're focusing too hard on them. The characters look so elegant and majestic. (and beautiful and hot af)

I find them to be funny to be honest.

Just look at this nigga he is part giraffe. lol

lmao exactly.
Jul 19, 2017 9:41 AM

Jun 2016
Despite how weird the animation looks to me which really freaks me out sometimes (especially their long arse necks), I'm liking this anime. Can't wait for the next one.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jul 19, 2017 11:10 AM

Sep 2013
I feel Tatara's love for dancing is so sudden... Like, he started liking it way too fast. On another note, wow, this anime's art is... weird. And so are their eyelashes lol.

So our main character is full of potential here. He reads the movements with his eyes. Let's hope he doesn't get too good too fast... I mean, his "opponent" is the goat or something xD
Jul 19, 2017 10:59 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Once you stop thinking about how blah the way the MC kinda decided he was going to do dance was, the show can be enjoyable.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 19, 2017 11:42 PM

Mar 2016
I agree. Next week's episode seems to get good. I wonder if he becomes a replacement dancer or something. He was wearing the formal attire...
Jul 20, 2017 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
Animation and abnormal body features proportions make this slighly tough for me to enjoy. I.G should sit down seriously and fix this up.
But damn eyes and eyelashes are such delicious aesthetics. I have no complaints in that part.
Jul 20, 2017 11:36 AM

Jul 2009
Tatara learns kinda fast, he was able to dance imagining Shizuku.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

52 by Uneducated_Weeb »»
Jul 31, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

173 by SpoonMaster »»
Jun 28, 2:03 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2017

59 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 10:34 PM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2017

57 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 30, 2023 12:16 AM

Poll: » Ballroom e Youkoso Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2017

51 by RawrOMG »»
Oct 28, 2023 9:41 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.