Forum Settings
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 7, 2016 3:15 AM

Oct 2013
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Raw is out, after 100 years we finally reach the basement! Tap yourself on your back for all who had made it this far. So as you have read in the ending, humanty isn't extinct and outside the wall is much more modern than inside the walls.

Prepare yourself for next chapter guys, we are having history lesson next month. :)

Sep 7, 2016 4:52 AM
May 2015
I've never expected that things would go that far this chapter.

I predict that probably a missing piece will be left for later explaining the warriors' hometown and motive, which we will see or hear about from the warriors themselves.
Sep 7, 2016 4:55 AM

Aug 2016
FUCKING BASEMENT. FINALLY!!!!
Sep 7, 2016 8:01 AM
Aug 2016
Any link so I can read this chapter
Sep 7, 2016 8:18 AM

Mar 2014
so the key was useless the entire time? wtf?
Sep 7, 2016 8:24 AM

Oct 2013
sullynathan said:

huh? but the key was used.
Sep 7, 2016 9:04 AM

Mar 2014
keragamming said:
sullynathan said:

huh? but the key was used.
levi kicked the door, or maybe I'm wrong. I'll read the English translations tomorrow then.
Sep 7, 2016 10:49 AM
Dec 2014
What a time to be alive. Basement-sama is finally here.

sullynathan said:
levi kicked the door, or maybe I'm wrong. I'll read the English translations tomorrow then.

They used the key to open something in the room.
Sep 7, 2016 11:26 AM

Mar 2014
does anyone know where the English translations are?
Sep 7, 2016 11:51 AM

Jul 2013
I didn't really like the fact that humanity isn't really extinct and is much more advanced outside the walls, still excited about how will people inside the walls react after knowing about this.

sullynathan said:

you can read it here http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/150071173337/shingeki-no-kyojinattack-on-titan-chapter-85
Sep 7, 2016 11:53 AM
Jun 2013
sullynathan said:

Probably still in the making since the raws aren't that old. I can't read japanese so i guess I also will just have to wait. I looked at the RAW already though and i am glad we are finally there (Basement).
Can some crazy person tell us how long it actually took the series to get to this point, from first mentioning it to now? Not Chapters- actual time, like in months.
Sep 7, 2016 1:22 PM

Nov 2012
sullynathan said:

They used the key on that desk in the basement. Actually, earlier when Mikasa asked Eren if he still had the key I thought "why does she even care anymore? after such an odissey a simple door wouldn't stop anyone (even more so when I saw the door), this isn't an RPG." Luckily, Isayama was savvy enough to think about all those details and make it more realistic.

sullynathan said:

So far I've only found them properly (not with "subtitles" next to the Japanese version) in Spanish (fortunately, my mother tongue). Look for @ShingekiNoKyojin2013 on facebook (I'd give you the exact link but I'm not sure I can share it here)

- Armin's feelings after being told he was a titan... Wanting to throw up was to be expected XD
- Levi sounds almost like a tsundere subversion about his decision... He's like "We chose you" rather than "We didn't have any other choice"
-The panels dedicated to show the house and indicating how much time has passed since the titans invasion... awesome. No need for words, everything is right there in the details.
- The pacing when they finally get to Eren's home... The pacing was perfectly balanced for suspension in my opinion, it didn't fill like filler because every step was handled realistically (how many authors would care about possible floodings in a situation like this?)
-So, not only there are humans outside the walls but they also have access to more advanced technology (Something between Industrial revolution and WWII perhaps? If that photograph is in black and white, judging from the clothing of the people in it, I'd asume so) D: Just like everyone with the "the village" theory was predicting (a bit underwhelming, but we'll have to see where it goes from here).

5/5
Dammit Isayama!!!!!!! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WAIT A MONTH AFTER THIS???
kchorrex2012Sep 7, 2016 7:09 PM
Sep 7, 2016 3:48 PM
Jun 2016
Finally they are going to basement! I believe that there is at least one more country ( I had it in my mind for a long time)Dr. Yaeger probably had “came from outside the walls, where life is harmonious for humanity.” I can't wait to see what is in those books. If you had read Before the fall you probably remember that they say that there is a land outside of walls where MP sends prisoners. I can't remember how they call that place...
*****SORY FOR MY ENGLISH*****
Sep 7, 2016 6:35 PM

Apr 2012
"We're home." - "We're back" That page with younger Eren and Mikasa running towards the broken house and then switch to the current version of the two standing there has quite a impact.
All along I thought the key for the basement door, but no it's for the desk, that door only needs a kick.
Congratulations Eren you now have a half brother.
Affinity to MAL
Anime: 47.35%
Manga: 46.36%
Sep 7, 2016 10:16 PM
Nov 2015
So, we finally get to see the basement, and the key was useless. lol
Sep 7, 2016 10:30 PM
May 2014
i believe there is an even greater wall and the titans that were between the two acted as a mot around the other walls
just your favorite dino sailor
Sep 7, 2016 10:31 PM
Nov 2015
block1 said:
DanHellSing said:
So, we finally get to see the basement, and the key was useless. lol

Not necessarily, it was needed to unlock the secret drawer.

Oh wow, really? I thought they used different key to open the drawer.
Sep 7, 2016 10:54 PM

Aug 2012
DanHellSing said:
block1 said:

Not necessarily, it was needed to unlock the secret drawer.

Oh wow, really? I thought they used different key to open the drawer.
They only had 1 key with them
Sep 7, 2016 11:27 PM
Mar 2014
Can't wait for chapter 86 :D

Just caught up after a LONG break since chapter 70... and it looks like I picked the perfect time too. Angry that they didn't pick Erwin, since he's clearly the logical chose.

So it looks like outside the walls is going to be the "real" modern day humanity that we all know of, and inside the walls lies this uncivilized cluster fuck of a society... filled with evil humans that the "real" humanity deemed to be a lost cause.

...PERFECT :) And the titans are probably meant to keep the people inside the walls from venturing out, instead of keeping the titans outside of the walls from venturing in.
The10tailedwolfSep 7, 2016 11:33 PM
Sep 8, 2016 12:08 AM

Jul 2012
After 85 months, we finally made it guys 😭 👏🏻

And what a twist! Humans are actually living luxuriously outside of a "4th" wall and with at least 19th century technology :O That was revealed through one photograph too; we still have 3 whole books to get through :D
Sep 8, 2016 12:55 AM

Dec 2012
Only 9 members of the Survey Corps left.

Finally at the Basement. Humans are not extinct outside the walls.
Levi doesn't have the time. Gotta kick that door down.

Wall Maria has been taken back.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Sep 8, 2016 1:30 AM

Jun 2014
Damn only 9 members left in the Survey Corps? Well that's not important right now, what is important is that they FINALLY made it to the basement. I remember about 15 chapters ago people were coming up with a theory of a more advanced world outside the walls. Looks like that ended up being the case. So Grisha is from the outside, and it turns out humanity isn't on the brink of extinction after all. Now I'm starting to believe that the walls were created to keep the people from getting out, rather than to keep Titans from getting in. Or maybe the Titans were experiments created by the outside world that were unleashed on the people behind the walls. Fuck it, idk, I absolutely can't wait for the next chapter.
thebrentinator24Sep 8, 2016 1:43 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Sep 8, 2016 1:31 AM
Apr 2016
I'm still mad that it was Armin who was ressurected instead of Erwin, that plot armour tho

4/5, nice revelation in the end.

Feels bad for Erwin, too bad he didn't have plot armour.
Sep 8, 2016 1:42 AM

Jan 2009
im just glad they finally unlock the secrets on the basement, there are like 3 important books there on the basement that will reveal more in the upcoming chapters

i guess the whole titan place is on an isolated country or something, nice to know that humanity is doing well outside that titan/wall place
Sep 8, 2016 2:46 AM

Sep 2016
Looks like another long wait til chapter 86.
Sep 8, 2016 3:04 AM

Nov 2011
Interesting chapter. I mean it's about damn time they found what's inside that basement.

So it looks like the outside world has been progressing while those inside the walls were lagged behind. Hopefully we'll find out what they've been doing all this time and their connection to the Titans. Exciting.
Sep 8, 2016 3:08 AM

Sep 2014
Very nice chapter. A much calmer tone after the long stretch of fighting and the serious revelation about the basement.
I'm seriously excited to find out what else in those three books in the coming chapters.
Sep 8, 2016 3:12 AM
Jul 2016
only 9 members survived.....
they finally went to the basement
levi kicks the door down(ehh not suprised he is badass as always)
and the picture it looks like humanity is safe outside the walls and they must be near 19th century but it's how are they alive why where they not eaten by the titans maybe they live in a different continent but still don't the people outside of the walls know about the titans or the people that live inside the walls why did the titans appear only there omg i can't wait for the next chapter i am excited

Sep 8, 2016 4:07 AM

Jun 2011
The plot kinda resemble the live action movie version a bit..also Divergent series...
Sep 8, 2016 4:07 AM

Aug 2012
After 84 chapters we've finally made it. Also (Happy 7th anniversary when it officially comes out in Japan tomorrow). The panel with Armin looking at the Colossal Titan was creepy. Hange the new commander and Armin having big shoes to fill. Levi knows the pain of us readers and kicks the door open, didn't come this far and not know what's inside the basement and get info. The key was not for the door but the drawer lol. Next chapter we are going to have a load of info given to us with those 3 books they've found.
Sep 8, 2016 4:40 AM

Nov 2011
Inb4 the titan origin is exactly like the live action movie.

Sep 8, 2016 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
So, the humans living in the walls have been outsiders all this time? Reminds me of one episode from Dinotopia series.
Sep 8, 2016 5:54 AM

Feb 2012
This was such a great and emotive chapter... Looking forward to the next one!
If you want to know where this is from, send me a message.

Sep 8, 2016 6:16 AM
Dec 2015
Everyone's talking about the photograph but the one panel that struck me was when Armin sees colossal titan crying.
no
Sep 8, 2016 7:23 AM

Jul 2015
omfg! hell of a chapter Isayama is a GOD! i mean the chapter was perfectly balanced at the start i was like "ehh? thats hmmm" but at the end i was having goosebumps all over my body lol! and he chose the best century for outsiders i mean if they were in 21st then they would have probably found these humans ( HELIKOPTER! )

overall 20/10!
Sep 8, 2016 7:31 AM
Jul 2015
So what's the content of the books?
Sep 8, 2016 8:05 AM

Sep 2014
I wonder if Armin has Berthold's memories now.
I was kinda expecting more pictures of the outside, maybe next chapter.
Now I wonder what's the actual origin of the titans knowing there's more people outside.
Humanity's also not extinct and people are actually in harmony o.O now that's something to look forward to.
Ugh..I can't wait for the next chapter >_<
nerfxSep 8, 2016 8:08 AM
Sep 8, 2016 8:37 AM
Jun 2016
Levi still badaas as ever :v
Sep 8, 2016 8:53 AM

Jul 2016
I don't think Dr.Jaeger meant that humans are still there outside the walls.. i think that he meant the life outside the wall.. the life before titans, where they lived in harmony.. i think this chapter was justifying and answering erwin's question to his father and friends by dr.jaeger's words/basement.. we know dr.jaeger was a titan.. so he obviously must have eaten a titan who could transform.. thats why is was able to come back to his human form and willingly able to change to a titan.. and when that other guy(the previous commander of survey corp,forgot his name)jaeger didnt remember anything or a bit confused to the life that was right then.. so i think what they found in the basement was the truth about the outside world before titans.. and if you ask how to defeat this god damn titans then i think the answer is that eren will have to be able to control those titans with his coordinator power.. so jaeger created that basement to research on this toic and also to seal his secrets about the outside world on the hope that one day eren will find it.
Sep 8, 2016 9:22 AM

Feb 2011
arjupg said:
I don't think Dr.Jaeger meant that humans are still there outside the walls.. i think that he meant the life outside the wall.. the life before titans, where they lived in harmony.. i think this chapter was justifying and answering erwin's question to his father and friends by dr.jaeger's words/basement.. we know dr.jaeger was a titan.. so he obviously must have eaten a titan who could transform.. thats why is was able to come back to his human form and willingly able to change to a titan.. and when that other guy(the previous commander of survey corp,forgot his name)jaeger didnt remember anything or a bit confused to the life that was right then.. so i think what they found in the basement was the truth about the outside world before titans.. and if you ask how to defeat this god damn titans then i think the answer is that eren will have to be able to control those titans with his coordinator power.. so jaeger created that basement to research on this toic and also to seal his secrets about the outside world on the hope that one day eren will find it.

+1

We've seen the outside world in 'Before the fall' it's obviously a wasted land, far from harmonious and crawling with titans. Like you, I believe that the picture was intended to show the world before the titans.
Forever Berserk
Sep 8, 2016 9:25 AM

Nov 2012
UkRs said:
omfg! hell of a chapter Isayama is a GOD! i mean the chapter was perfectly balanced at the start i was like "ehh? thats hmmm" but at the end i was having goosebumps all over my body lol! and he chose the best century for outsiders i mean if they were in 21st then they would have probably found these humans ( HELIKOPTER! )

overall 20/10!

What if it is really 2015??

EREN GET IN THE FUCKING TITAN NAO!! (sorry too much sugar)
Sep 8, 2016 9:44 AM

Dec 2014
I called it. The key wouldn't open anything but then they found the right spot, nvm ;-;
Sep 8, 2016 11:09 AM

Jul 2014
I've encountered twists like this one several times before... now this manga feels diferent for me. That key though-such a troll!XD

Sep 8, 2016 11:28 AM

Oct 2013
@arjupg
@TBSM

"The truth is, humanity is not extinct at all"

ani147 said:
I've encountered twists like this one several times before... now this manga feels diferent for me. That key though-such a troll!XD

Originality is a myth these days, so I don't think you can judge the series from a twist that you've seen done several times before, it's how the twist was executed and what Isayama will do with the story here on now, that should be the exciting part.
keragammingSep 8, 2016 11:38 AM
Sep 8, 2016 11:31 AM

Apr 2012
Such a great chapter. I can't believe there's only 9 members left in the Survey Corps.

Glad we finally reached the basement, can't wait to find out what's in those 3 books
Sep 8, 2016 11:55 AM

Oct 2015
This chapter had some suspence for sure. The key's only purpose was to indicate what to look for, after all. They'd pry open the drawer too, probably.

I don't mind if next chapters will be calm, maybe slow, I just hope they will explain lots of things. Maybe those 3 books will be full of blueprints so people can make modern stuff, but it'd still be awesome. If it's history, diary, it's even better!

Outsiders have the technology of 1860-1930 probably. I just wonder, what is this picture exactly? The guy must be Grisha.
So Eren has a half-brother...?
For some reason that child reminds me of Zeke, the Beast Titan. Could it be possible?
Sep 8, 2016 12:13 PM

Oct 2013
tkrisz2 said:
This chapter had some suspence for sure. The key's only purpose was to indicate what to look for, after all. They'd pry open the drawer too, probably.

I don't mind if next chapters will be calm, maybe slow, I just hope they will explain lots of things. Maybe those 3 books will be full of blueprints so people can make modern stuff, but it'd still be awesome. If it's history, diary, it's even better!

Outsiders have the technology of 1860-1930 probably. I just wonder, what is this picture exactly? The guy must be Grisha.
So Eren has a half-brother...?
For some reason that child reminds me of Zeke, the Beast Titan. Could it be possible?

Its possible. I think Grisha probably got turn into a a mindless titan wondering around the outside for 50 years for eg, and after eating a shifter he returns back to normal and some how finds his way inside the walls and had Eren. So basically Grisha could possible be in the same situation as Ymir. And that's why Zeke looks as old as his father or even older.

So Zeke could be Eren older brother????? ;p It sounds farfetch, but it is possible. And I say it is a much better plot twist than Zeke being Grisha brother.
keragammingSep 8, 2016 12:18 PM
Sep 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Dec 2015

Finally it's been so long.

Only 9 of them left, hopefully that's all it takes to overthrow the titans. A bit farfetched, but who knows what Isayama will throw into the mix yet. It's starting to get even more interesting.

Sep 8, 2016 12:21 PM

Nov 2012
Was it just me, or did Grisha actually have photographs of Erwin and his past and future! That's not just modern world photographs, that's time traveling or future-sight photos!!!!!
Sep 8, 2016 1:12 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Finally, finally they reach the basement. Been waiting for this for years now.

As many of us expected, there is or was a humanity outside the walls that was more advanced than this.
Some years ago I remember I wrote that this gave me an air to the film The Village. That's still the case with this revelation.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2013

231 by victoria00000000 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 121 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Arjuna777 - Sep 4, 2019

263 by Berry-Vodka »»
Sep 27, 12:25 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 122 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Arjuna777 - Oct 4, 2019

246 by Berry-Vodka »»
Sep 25, 2:16 PM

» Is Chapter 140 & 141 coming?

KMohZaid - Aug 30, 2021

7 by TheFlyingOrange »»
Sep 25, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 123 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Arjuna777 - Nov 6, 2019

220 by Berry-Vodka »»
Sep 24, 12:37 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.