Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (28) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »
Jun 28, 2016 9:05 AM

Jun 2016
RainyRai said:
Julius was 100% in the right.

Nope, he was almost as stupid as Subaru. Subaru admitted that he lacks both resolve and strength and yet he was still like "so you think you are some big shot eh". Cracking down on some nobody who is obviously not anywhere near your level is not an honorable thing to do.
Jun 28, 2016 9:08 AM

May 2015
Noumu said:
RainyRai said:

Nope, he was almost as stupid as Subaru. Subaru admitted that he lacks both resolve and strength and yet he was still like "so you think you are some big shot eh". Cracking down on some nobody who is obviously not anywhere near your level is not an honorable thing to do.

Subaru insulted the council of people and all the knights, and he refused to back down when Julius confronted him, and in the match, because of his own stubborn pride. Subaru triggered everything that happened by yelling out loud that he was a knight.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 28, 2016 9:40 AM

Jun 2016
RainyRai said:
Noumu said:

Subaru insulted the council of people and all the knights, and he refused to back down when Julius confronted him, and in the match, because of his own stubborn pride. Subaru triggered everything that happened by yelling out loud that he was a knight.

So what? That only means that they both screwed-up.The council is able to speak for themselves and if they wanted Subaru gone they could have simply called the guards. As for their pride, they were justified in calling him out on his BS but everything they did after Subaru admitted that he doesn't know what he's talking about just made them look bad. Being butthurt is not a justification for beating a dead horse.
NoumuJun 28, 2016 9:43 AM
Jun 28, 2016 9:41 AM

May 2015
bastek66 said:
Quetzaly said:
I knew this was a harem anime but I continued to watch because I liked the premise but hell...

This episode was a mess, Subaru is annoying af. I really hope this gets better in the 2nd part.

There is no harem.

Harem-Ly.

Or maybe it is just fanservice, what I mean is that there are many female characters (not that I complain) but all seem to be potential love interests. The OP didn't helped.
Jun 28, 2016 9:46 AM

Jul 2007
Noumu said:
RainyRai said:

So what? That only means that they both screwed-up.The council is able to speak for themselves and if they wanted Subaru gone they could have simply called the guards. As for their pride, they were justified in calling him out on his BS but everything they did after Subaru admitted that he doesn't know what he's talking about just made them look bad. Being butthurt is not a justification for beating a dead horse.

He literally verbally assaulted an organistation based around chivalry.

As Julius said, his behavior is worthy of public execution. The fact that he did not kill Subaru is already Julius being generous.
Jun 28, 2016 10:00 AM

Jan 2011
Noumu said:
RainyRai said:

Regardless of Subaru's honesty it was stupid on his part. This is serious business and he made a mockery of a potential ruler by admitting his short comings in a room full of people who largely despised her. It may seem cool to us as the viewer to be able to admit that but ask yourself: would you tell a room full of assholes you're basically a punk without properly assessing the situation? Excluding the dumb ass out burst Al, himself made as well as the classless bitching of the candidates, Subaru ultimately stepped out of place, even worse as an outsider who wasn't familiar to anyone in the room aside from Emilia and didn't even try to convince anyone of consequences should they sully his master's name. For experienced knights a kid dressed as a servant going off about being a "knight" of someone was an insult in itself. From their angle he clearly didn't know what it meant to be a knight. Confirmed this assumption by saying he is neither strong or even has the resolve (LN fucking love that word don't they?)

Julius' asshattery kinda starts when challenges Subaru someone who he knows has no chance, but that was never the point. Thew point was (at least if he is meant to be a more respectable character [right now he just seems like the stuffy noble who can still do something]) was to show Subaru and probably others the price of talking the talk while casually admit not being able to walk the walk. Specifically while claiming to be the attendant and therefore the right/left hand of who could possibly the next ruler.
Jun 28, 2016 10:26 AM

Jun 2016
Fai said:
Noumu said:

And? I was talking about Julius, not Subaru. Subaru committing an offence punishable by death doesn't mean that Julius wasn't beating a dead horse.
Jun 28, 2016 10:28 AM
Jun 2015
13 episodes in and I wonder when will Subaru just shut the fuck up?
Jun 28, 2016 10:35 AM

Jul 2007
Noumu said:
Fai said:

And? I was talking about Julius, not Subaru. Subaru committing an offence punishable by death doesn't mean that Julius wasn't beating a dead horse.

Julius was well in his right to do far more than fuck Subaru up.
Beating him up and teaching him a lesson is not fucking up. Its being merciful.
Jun 28, 2016 10:39 AM

Jan 2011
Noumu said:
Fai said:

Not to cherry pick here, but beating a dead horse in this situation would involved either slowly killing Subaru or stringing him up shortly after.
Jun 28, 2016 10:49 AM
Dec 2014
Quetzaly said:
bastek66 said:

There is no harem.

Harem-Ly.

Or maybe it is just fanservice, what I mean is that there are many female characters (not that I complain) but all seem to be potential love interests. The OP didn't helped.

Nope it's not a harem
None of the female loves subaru...just rem loved him.
Even emillia doesn't love him, she only thinks of him like a friend
Jun 28, 2016 10:55 AM

Apr 2014
Quetzaly said:

Harem-Ly.

dont worry m8, you can still ship him with everyone, since every girl will get some characterization (for better or worse)
期待しているよ、私のサリアだって、嘘ばっかり!
でもねアンジュ、あんたがいなくなれば、私の方が強いってわかれば,
それができるなら、何もいらない!
Jun 28, 2016 10:58 AM
Mar 2016
Nice to see Felt again, and too bad for Subaru, he and his big mouth and now he faces some butt kicking from them knights, he could have done what Tom Curise did at the Edge of Tomorrow, were he would repeatedly kill himself after every bout until he kicks Julis butt.
Jun 28, 2016 11:03 AM

Aug 2015
Fai said:
its just absolute strange that in show where we have flawed and interesting characters like Rem, the supposed lead heroine is pretty much kept as this messianic embodiment of purity and niceness. Whyyy. they could have added more flavor to her rant against him but even that was "aww I can't see you get hurt for me" kind of deal till Subaru MAJORLY fucked up.

This isn't strange. You just don't understand where it's coming from. Subaru and Emilia both are this kind of being who'd gladly sacrifice for those they love. Their reasons why seem to differ greatly, however, it is meant to show that their similarity, in the end, clash instead of mingling. Well, as far as misunderstandings go though.

Do you see that guy who keeps miraculously save you and everyone all the time, he does all he can to protect and help you even if it means he's destroying himself. You want to repay such a person and even protect him yourself but he keeps destroying himself for what appears to be your sake.

Do you let that person continue?
"Vaut mieux se suffire à soi que finir assoiffé dans le monde des apparences."

Jun 28, 2016 11:05 AM

Jan 2011
Whoahoho said:
Nice to see Felt again, and too bad for Subaru, he and his big mouth and now he faces some butt kicking from them knights, he could have done what Tom Curise did at the Edge of Tomorrow, were he would repeatedly kill himself after every bout until he kicks Julis butt.

That would seem like an effective use of his power. But the catch to this power is the fact he has no control over where exactly he will end up, nor does he understand when the save points will change. So far a checkpoint has taken him as far back as a few hours to a few days, the prerequisite to it are still not clear, should he attempt to "go back" he runs the risk of losing more than he would've wanted.

Tony_SansNom said:
Fai said:
its just absolute strange that in show where we have flawed and interesting characters like Rem, the supposed lead heroine is pretty much kept as this messianic embodiment of purity and niceness. Whyyy. they could have added more flavor to her rant against him but even that was "aww I can't see you get hurt for me" kind of deal till Subaru MAJORLY fucked up.

This isn't strange. You just don't understand where it's coming from. Subaru and Emilia both are this kind of being who'd gladly sacrifice for those they love. Their reasons why seem to differ greatly, however, it is meant to show that their similarity, in the end, clash instead of mingling. Well, as far as misunderstandings go though.

Do you see that guy who keeps miraculously save you and everyone all the time, he does all he can to protect and help you even if it means he's destroying himself. You want to repay such a person and even protect him yourself but he keeps destroying himself for what appears to be your sake.

Cheesy archetypes we have seen a million times before. And we've only been shown the surface of this archetype largely. At least with Rem we understood why she was the way she was towards her sister and why she seemed to succeed Ram from what Subaru could tell. This one so far is just there. She's just nice for the sake of being for everyone's sake. If Subaru's banter causes her to zone out like it makes some of us I can really understand why she doesn't have a clue as ti what the hell he is doing. She doesn't understand the extant of his suffering like we do. All she knows him as is a nice guy who does reckless she for the right reasons. She considers him a friend and as such doesn't want him to endanger himself along with knowing he's largely incapable. That "ASADA-SAN!" rant of his passed him off as a selfish not in her head. Which only confirmed, in her eyes, what she began to suspect
QWERTYFish25Jun 28, 2016 11:40 AM
Jun 28, 2016 11:19 AM

Aug 2015
QWERTYFish25 said:
Tony_SansNom said:

Cheesy archetypes we have seen a million times before. And we've only been shown the surface of this archetype largely. At least with Rem we understood why she was the way she was towards her sister and why she seemed to succeed Ram from what Subaru could tell. This one so far is just there. She's just nice for the sake of being for everyone's sake. If Subaru's banter causes her to zone out like it makes some of us I can really understand why she doesn't have a clue as ti what the hell he is doing. She doesn't understand the extant of his suffering like we do. All she knows him as is a nice guy who does reckless she for the right reasons. She considers him a friend and as such doesn't want him to endanger himself along with knowing he's largely incapable. That "ASADA-SAN!" rant of his passed him off as a selfish not in her head. Which only confirmed, in her eyes, what she began to suspect

Cheesy? Not really. And it isn't like all the others because of what happened at the end of this episode. You can see that he is selfish. That in itself is something that was never tackled for "heroes". So Subaru isn't the "archetype you saw millions of times".

And he's pretty humane. He's flawed. In fact, he's a total dumbass. Cite me any MC who is like him instead of perfect? You won't find that many.

Jun 28, 2016 11:29 AM

Jan 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:
That would seem like an effective use of his power. But the catch to this power is the fact he has no control over where exactly he will end up, nor does he understand when the save points will change. So far a checkpoint has taken him as far back as a few hours to a few days, the prerequisite to it are still not clear, should he attempt to "go back" he runs the risk of losing more than he would've wanted.

He thinks in the terms of Visual Novels, seeing everything that transpired as a scripted moments when you need to make a correct decision in order to progress the plot, he don't really need to grind for skills as they are supposed to come to him automatically through the same decision. Despite the obvious crisis we saw and suffering he came through, he still thinks of whole world as a game, characters as NPCs etc.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jun 28, 2016 11:35 AM

Jan 2011
beast_regards said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

He thinks in the terms of Visual Novels, seeing everything that transpired as a scripted moments when you need to make a correct decision in order to progress the plot, he don't really need to grind for skills as they are supposed to come to him automatically through the same decision. Despite the obvious crisis we saw and suffering he came through, he still thinks of whole world as a game, characters as NPCs etc.

That's retarded at this point. Didn't we go through an entire cour for him to understand the hell he is in? Excluding the pain of losing the moments he spends with those he begins to grow attached to?

Tony_SansNom said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

Cheesy? Not really. And it isn't like all the others because of what happened at the end of this episode. You can see that he is selfish. That in itself is something that was never tackled for "heroes". So Subaru isn't the "archetype you saw millions of times".

And he's pretty humane. He's flawed. In fact, he's a total dumbass. Cite me any MC who is like him instead of perfect? You won't find that many.

Flawed doesn't equal good character. And mix matching archetypes doesn't make a character unique. Ignoring the wave of LNs we've come to know and love. You can flind plenty of characters who have stunted personalities who are (at least in their own way) exceptional. Not saying a MC must be exception but you get where I'm going. We've seen Sabaru's nerdy floppy, obnoxious, finicky personality before as we've seen Emilia's good girl personality before. We can pretty much predict what they'll say and do and how they'll feel at most points. Even if we're not spot on we can guess the outcome. This storyline that has the ability to fully express the downfall of the main character without ending itself there has breathing room to show his flaws in a way many shows don't/can't. But that doesn't excuse the vapid archetypes that exit beforehand or the so-so means and pace in which they are explored. With Emilia this show seems hell bent on keeping her as the idealistic-waifu in our eyes, possibly for the mindfuck should she reveal to be Satella. Or even, so we can 'empathize" with her when the time comes for her to donate all of her teeth to some sadistic anime crazed loony in some cult.
Jun 28, 2016 11:49 AM

Jan 2013
Bl4ckR4bbi7 said:
but I'm getting nervous lol xD l he'll find a way, but I've seen an official illustration and spoiler, he looks like a fucked up psycho killer (-_- )

What? Damn xD It must be hard for him, noone can understand how/what he feels.
But as you said, if he will have Rem by his side he will be fine ;)
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 28, 2016 12:01 PM

Apr 2014
-Janet said:

Forget Emilia x Subaru let's make Reinhard and Felt the protagonist I'm pretty sure they'll have better chemistry !!

onii sama always there to save the day
期待しているよ、私のサリアだって、嘘ばっかり!
でもねアンジュ、あんたがいなくなれば、私の方が強いってわかれば,
それができるなら、何もいらない!
Jun 28, 2016 12:05 PM

Jan 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:
That's retarded at this point. Didn't we go through an entire cour for him to understand the hell he is in? Excluding the pain of losing the moments he spends with those he begins to grow attached to?

It's retarded, but check the whole scene with Priscilla. This is last time Subaru actually tried to "think" and then do something idiotic, rather tan going for something idiotic straight away. One would think we are behind this point, considering the fact he went through one hell of PTSD moment earlier, but that seems to be already cured from that, for one reason or another. Getting to some imaginary checkpoint in imaginary harem route in equally imaginary Visual Novel helps a lot.
Jun 28, 2016 12:24 PM

Oct 2011
whoa damn suburu. 😢
Jun 28, 2016 12:26 PM

Jan 2011
beast_regards said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

It's retarded, but check the whole scene with Priscilla. This is last time Subaru actually tried to "think" and then do something idiotic, rather tan going for something idiotic straight away. One would think we are behind this point, considering the fact he went through one hell of PTSD moment earlier, but that seems to be already cured from that, for one reason or another. Getting to some imaginary checkpoint in imaginary harem route in equally imaginary Visual Novel helps a lot.

That would make sense. But considering the pain of death as well as facing the possibility it may have been brought about by someone he is close to should at the very least make him a little bit cautious.

This is just being presumptuous. He still doesn't understand how his power works and for all he knows he could be sent right back to the first day in the mansion. I'm assuming source readers know this not to be true, nor will I assume the author will put us through another cour of diabetic maids and house chores. To think he is "home" free because he survived the mansion is just plain stupid as a character and doesn't justify his carelessness. His paranoia for Emilia should at least apply for him to some extent, even if he can simply get another chance he can very easily lose the "precious diabetic) moments" he did share with everybody. The selfless white knight bs is not a proper excuse.
QWERTYFish25Jun 28, 2016 12:35 PM
Jun 28, 2016 12:39 PM

May 2012
Hatsuyuki said:
I have no idea why Subaru acted like a faggot during the entire episode
exactly my thought.. felt forced to me. Thought hes gonna act cooler but instead losing his cool..

Jun 28, 2016 1:12 PM

May 2009
Quetzaly said:
Harem-Ly.

Stop coming up with retarded terms. There is no harem. Two love interests aren't a harem.
Jun 28, 2016 1:29 PM

Jan 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:
That would make sense. But considering the pain of death as well as facing the possibility it may have been brought about by someone he is close to should at the very least make him a little bit cautious.

Subaru don't know where (or rather when) checkpoint is. He thought about it perhaps once during the entire story, then he did random bulls*** anyway. But it doesn't really stops him from doing something stupid and/or shouting utter nonsense at the worst possible moment. It also don't stop him from thinking about whole situation as a game (or as Visual Novel, even worse) and acting according to this belief. There has been quite a few serious and equally painful situation that should already convince him he indeed isn't protagonist of some shounen/harem novel, but he doesn't seem to take a hint.
Jun 28, 2016 1:36 PM

Jan 2013
bastek66 said:
Stop coming up with retarded terms. There is no harem. Two love interests aren't a harem.

Tell that to Subaru, actually. He jumped off the cliff to get harem ending in setting that isn't a harem.
Jun 28, 2016 1:41 PM

Jan 2011
I mean, I think there's impracticality of personality in fiction that kinda requires a suspension of disbelief. Problem is Subaru is really stretching it consider the reputation the source material has gotten for being "brutal". Supposedly some have dropped it because it was to violent.
Jun 28, 2016 1:44 PM
Jun 2012
I definitely liked how this episode ended, cringe and all. Subaru's white-knighting was growing more and more irritating. Most cliche anime would have the girl fall head over heels for the guy if he broke his promise "for her sake" and whatnot. But she condemns his actions, I liked that.

Also I was expecting him to pull some shit out of his ass to get one over on Julius, not beat him, but humble him a bit. Nope. Julius owned him completely. This anime is not going down the predictable trope-y route and I like it.
Jun 28, 2016 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:
bastek66 said:

Tell that to Subaru, actually. He jumped off the cliff to get harem ending in setting that isn't a harem.

Misusing a term won't make it appear correct. You clown.
Jun 28, 2016 1:58 PM

Jan 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:
I mean, I think there's impracticality of personality in fiction that kinda requires a suspension of disbelief. Problem is Subaru is really stretching it consider the reputation the source material has gotten for being "brutal". Supposedly some have dropped it because it was to violent.

This is another thing. Entire plot exist only because Subaru acts the way he acts, whole story would probably collapse into itself with Error404path not found if he didn't start his nonsense act.

iRels said:

I believe I remember this discussion - harems are shit and this show can't be a harem because it is actually great and because protagonist dies repeatedly.
Jun 28, 2016 2:06 PM

Jan 2011
beast_regards said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

This is another thing. Entire plot exist only because Subaru acts the way he acts, whole story would probably collapse into itself with Error404path not found if he didn't start his nonsense act.

lol.

bullshit message for 15 char
Jun 28, 2016 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
QWERTYFish25 said:
beast_regards said:

lol.

I Would be really interested in some omake version where other choices has been made. Or whole alternative univerze when Subaru;s character is replaced by someone more capable.
Jun 28, 2016 2:27 PM

Jul 2015
beast_regards said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

lol.

I Would be really interested in some omake version where other choices has been made. Or whole alternative univerze when Subaru;s character is replaced by someone more capable.

There are alternative chapters (two, if I'm correct). In one for example:
Bernkishi07Jun 28, 2016 2:33 PM
Re:Zero nice troll ending.
Jun 28, 2016 2:42 PM
Jul 2018
beast_regards said:

iRels said:

I believe I remember this discussion - harems are shit and this show can't be a harem because it is actually great and because protagonist dies repeatedly.

Harems might be known to be sh*t, yeah. I don't remember watching them... Hmm. Maybe that show, D-Frag. Was enjoyable. But... Hmm. Not. I don't really think it was one... eh. The females weren't falling for the male protag... from what I remember.

In this one they aren't, either. Only Rem has shown actual interest for Subaru. And it was after he did a lot for her. It was well-deserved. But Ram is interested in Roswaal, it seems. Beatrice is in Puck. And Subaru's too low-class in her eyes. Emilia sees Subaru as a friend, not as a love interest. It's one-sided on his part. Felt? (Let's just adress everyone...) She's zero interest in him. He has zero interest in her. Elsa? He'd be her torture slave. He couldn't even handle her. Priscilla? Her s*x, human-sized toy. Felix? (*Laughs*) Think he's more interested in Crusch. Whose Subaru hasn't even talked with - along with Anastasia.

Subaru wants Emilia for her goodness. He's not a womanizer. He'd not see himself as worthy of her, were he.

beast_regards said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

That sounds incorrect. Subaru's the view. But he's changed history, yeah. Emilia would've been killed by Elsa... along with Felt. The story would go a different way. But it'd still go. The world already existed.
removed-userJun 28, 2016 2:49 PM
Jun 28, 2016 4:13 PM

Aug 2015
Subaru's love for Emilia is unrequited. Rem's love for Subaru is unrequited. For it to be a harem, Subaru needs to love both or both of them to love him.

Now get out. I'm sick of seeing these terms where they don't belong.

Jun 28, 2016 4:19 PM

Oct 2012
Great dialogue exchange, all of this episode. And Emilia x Subaru quarell was done really well.
In fact, both of their opinions were correct, they were arguing logically from their position.. it's not their fault that they don't have knowledge of everything the other one knows. So their disagreement was justified. Even though Subaru took it way more personally, solely because he knew Emilia more than she knows him.

His intentions were noble. He can't tell her everything even if he wanted. But his temerity had certainly worsen everything.

Antearion said:
That ending tho. Who ever directed that, please buy that man a fucking drink! You can feel the emotion coming from the characters. Hell buy the voice actors a drink as well. They portrayed that argument fantastically. Shit I would have said that was a real argument that they recorded. It goes to show that you shouldn't talk to things when you angry. Might say something you don't really mean.
+1, my thoughts exactly.

One thing that doesn't fits though, when they were sparing with each other Julius told him they can fight with only wooden sword because he's Emilia's attendant. Yet Emilia told them he ISN'T her attendant before. Fail writing or execution I guess?
Jun 28, 2016 4:45 PM

Mar 2010
beast_regards said:
QWERTYFish25 said:

Sooo... like every story with a MC.

Sigh I don't even know bother with nonsecial crap in this thread.
Jun 28, 2016 4:48 PM
Nov 2015
Omg I hate Emilia, that's it.
I knew she was going to be like that a long time ago, screw her.
Jun 28, 2016 4:57 PM

Nov 2015

Ok, I loved this episode. It was intense.
I saw that this episode triggered a bunch of people but I'd gotta say that I understand both Emilia and Subaru.

You see, Subaru pays the price for his big mouth. Almost the entire episode I was like "Subaru, please, stop talking. Stop making it worse! Shut up!". Self-proclaiming himself as knight and fighting that purple hair guy, and then passing the bill to Emilia of all he's done for her? Man, that was too much...

Emilia in the other hand, I can understand her being upset and disappointed at Subaru. It was right, the only thing and small thing she asked him to do and he did not do it. All that unnecessary drama he made in the hall, that was too much.

It was quite the fight they had, and it kept my eyes peeled. Great episode again.
We need the story to have its upside and downs. Their arguing was very human I must say. An argument in which each one can say things they will later regret.

To finish this, I'm not hating Subaru but as he was getting his ass kicked I didn't feel sorry for him at all. He got himself into that for that jealousy and unnecessary talking. I'm sorry, but that was no stage for you to be in the center of.
HumbertoZeroJun 28, 2016 5:07 PM
Jun 28, 2016 5:07 PM
Jul 2018
Mich666 said:

One thing that doesn't fits though, when they were sparing with each other Julius told him they can fight with only wooden sword because he's Emilia's attendant. Yet Emilia told them he ISN'T her attendant before. Fail writing or execution I guess?

She did it in a lower voice tone, to Subaru's ears, only. She wasn't replying to what Maicrotof said, but taking the opportunity to make it (even more) clear for Subaru, that she doesn't want him involved, while bringing him further back - making him 'stand down'.

What Julius did, btw... was for Subaru and the others' sake. Subaru gave a bad impression, and Julius said that the respectability of those around him could be questioned because of that. The other knights were shown with angry expressions. Of those wanting justice. Julius then invited Subaru to a duel, and gave him what the others wanted. But even more, to the point where they started feeling sorry for Subaru. His insults to Subaru in the duel were probably meant to decrease Subaru's credibility, so that others don't mind too much what he says. Words that come from the weak have little to no weight.

It was similar to what happened in Shingeki no Kyojin, when Levi gave Eren a beating, to convince others that he shouldn't be feared.
removed-userJun 28, 2016 5:13 PM
Jun 28, 2016 5:34 PM

Jun 2015
Damn Subaru, everyone knows "You never go full Retard.", but you, you went full Retard man.

I thought this episode was pretty good, even if Subaru was a bit cringey. We all knew that this was coming, the reality of this new world he's in just came crashing down on him.

It was really nice watching Subaru being put into his place. Now he knows this, and maybe he can recover and become stronger than he was before.
Jun 28, 2016 7:19 PM
Mar 2016
@Fai Subaru's character seems to be badly written, but I'll try to convince you that it is at least not that badly written.
We notice that the more Subaru worries or whatever emotion he has on Emilia, the more he becomes impulsive and forgets how to think more carefully. Idk if it normally happens in normal people but it also sometimes happened to me.
I think he has an impulsive-compulsive disorder. But the symptoms only kick out if he perceives Emilia is in danger.
Jun 28, 2016 7:31 PM

Jan 2011
AshcrowKnight said:
I thought this episode was pretty good, even if Subaru was a bit cringey. We all knew that this was coming, the reality of this new world he's in just came crashing down on him.

Because the reality of this new world didn't already come crashing down on him when he was gutted by a yandre-mouthed assassin? Or that that assassin murdered Emilia right in front of him or diced up Felt and Rom? Or having his arm severed by a mysterious person (who later was proved to be Rem) after thinking he and his big mouth were welcome there? Once again we have to sit through another one of Subaru's "I'm the MC-OH WAIT!" moments.

crx07 said:
@Fai Subaru's character seems to be badly written, but I'll try to convince you that it is at least not that badly written.
We notice that the more Subaru worries or whatever emotion he has on Emilia, the more he becomes impulsive and forgets how to think more carefully. Idk if it normally happens in normal people but it also sometimes happened to me.
I think he has an impulsive-compulsive disorder. But the symptoms only kick out if he perceives Emilia is in danger.

But what else? it's understandable he'd be protective of Emilia and all, especially seeing as she was murdered right before his eyes in one loop. And he undoubtedly still sees her as he fantasy world waifu. But what else is there about the guy? Apart from the obvious tropes he embodies what else is Subaru, besides the obvious outside of his obsession for Emilia?
QWERTYFish25Jun 28, 2016 7:58 PM
Jun 28, 2016 7:56 PM

Mar 2016
I've only been watching the anime so this ep hit me hard at the end. Felt like a genuine desperate breakup, which I've had before. I haven't been so uncomfortable between anime eps in forever.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 28, 2016 8:00 PM
Mar 2016
QWERTYFish25 said:
But what else? it's understandable he'd be protective of Emilia and all, especially seeing as she was murdered right before his eyes in one loop. And he undoubtedly still sees her as he fantasy world waifu. But what else is there about the guy? Apart from the obvious tropes he embodies what else is Subaru, besides the obvious outside of his obsession for Emilia?
I dunno. I'm not good at knowing people. I have to think deeply to know. I only state that Subaru's character is written less worse than Fai thinks. I'm not a fan of Subaru. But I believe so far that he is made to torture SAO fans and the like. And I'm just interested in the world with that politics and Subaru's curse.
I'm sorry I don't know much about Subaru. I think the author wrote him like the characters with anime tropes then torture him for being like them. And I'm happy about that.
I dunno who Subaru is but the treatment of the story towards him is more realistic than other anime out there. He needs to think if he wants to get things his way. Your cookie-cutter characters get what they want even though what they are doing is unreasonable. Subaru gets what he deserved regardless of his actions.
And Subaru acts as if he is your cookie-cutter MC even though he isn't. His thing against Julius (I forgot but he's the one Subaru sparred with) is what he learned in his otaku days and applied in fantasy-world life. That's why he acts like your cookie-cutter characters. But the treatment of the author to his pretense is gold.
crx07Jun 28, 2016 8:07 PM
Jun 28, 2016 8:00 PM

May 2016
QWERTYFish25 said:
crx07 said:

What tropes is he embodying?

All I see is a character that is not your typical anime/LN character. And the whole bickering with Emilia is almost a deconstruction of the Harem trope where the one of the girls is strong enough to stand on her own and protagonist (Subaru is fearful of rejection).

The character interactions are so beautiful and well thought out.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'
Jun 28, 2016 8:07 PM

Mar 2016
crx07 said:

Subaru is a brilliant character. You're all saying he's cringey but he seems so believable to me. If you consider the crazy stuff he's been though it's no wonder he acts the way he does.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 28, 2016 8:32 PM
Mar 2016
OtakuDaikun said:
Subaru is a brilliant character. You're all saying he's cringey but he seems so believable to me. If you consider the crazy stuff he's been though it's no wonder he acts the way he does.
I also don't wonder why he acts that way.
He wants to be the MC of the fantasy world by acting like typical LN characters (meta commentaries, white knighting etc). He wants to get Emilia's stamp of approval from time to time because I think he thinks it soothes himself from the trauma he got from the gorey scenes he experienced. If he loses Emilia, I think his will to live is gone, especially when his only source of comfort rejects him. I think that's the reason why Emilia is very important to Subaru.
Tadao-kun said:
Omg I hate Emilia, that's it.
I knew she was going to be like that a long time ago, screw her.
If we look at Emilia's perspective, what she did is very very kind and generous. She trusted Subaru even though they are strangers and Subaru cannot give any reason why he can be trusted aside from helping Emilia out from danger. Emilia wants to trust Subaru but Subaru himself disrespected Emilia by not trusting and obeying Emilia. She needs to cut off her ties to Subaru because she thinks Subaru is hurting when he involves himself to the selection. Idk if her trust to him really lost or it's just a pretense to cut off her ties with him, but that's a smart decision to send off a stranger with a dubious background.
Jun 28, 2016 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
QWERTYFish25 said:
crx07 said:

There might not be much more. He's meant to be someone with much potential for improvement, after all. He couldn't have too much.

Subaru's not badly written, btw. I've been saying that he had escapism. In the real world, he might've been a loser. Why? Because he appeared defeated.

So he was miraculously given a new chance in life, in another world. There, he started doing everything he could to make him feel better about himself. With aid of the knowledge he had from the previous world. Some girl appeared, saved him. He got interested in her. Decided to play the hero, because that'd make him feel really good about himself, had he succeeded. The girl wasn't anyone. It was the first he was so intimate with in years. It meant much for him. He was impressed by her beauty. Of personality and appearance. Then the story continues... He struggles hard, but doesn't give up. Because he believes that what he's fighting for, is worth the effort. It's for his new life, after all... And he was too greedy to give up - and in a way, assume defeat... again. In this new world, he has to win. That's what he believes. He had never worked so hard before. He became too caught up in everything that was happening, that he barely had time to stop and review everything that happened. When the time came, he was stable, he believed. Made it easier for him to choose to accept. After some more struggle, he almost gave up, but didn't, thinking that what he was fighting for, was again, worth the effort. Convinced of that, he endures. And he succeeds. He's then faced with another challenge. His own worth. He fails the test. Succumbs to desperation... Of losing even the girl that meant so much for him.

... I tried making it as understandable and short as possible, eh.
Pages (28) « First ... « 18 19 [20] 21 22 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

2078 by NicoIsCool »»
Yesterday, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2016

1835 by Pruzkumak »»
Sep 24, 12:54 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2016

513 by ionelHeredia »»
Sep 23, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2016

793 by cibertopia »»
Sep 21, 9:35 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2016

767 by OverThedge_32 »»
Sep 19, 1:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.