Forum Settings
Forums

If somebody wanted to get into older anime what anime would you reccomend them to start off with and why?

New
Apr 11, 2016 6:45 PM

Nov 2011
I would reccomend them Future Boy Conan since people fanboy over Miyazaki anyway and this is easily his best work. The art is still very solid and beautiful and the story is still engaging and full of lovable characters.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2016 6:46 PM

Jan 2008
Great Teacher Onizuka. Because it's great like the name suggests.
Apr 11, 2016 6:51 PM

Sep 2013
fist of the north star...
Apr 11, 2016 6:53 PM

Feb 2010
Well, aside from the obligatory 'it depends on the person's taste and what prejudices they have against older anime', I could probably agree that Future Boy Conan is a decent show to show them because of the universal appeal of Miyazaki. But I could also see myself going for a bunch of movies with high budget just to showcase how great older anime can look visually. Akira, Venus Wars, Sea Prince and Fire Child, Yousei Florence for example. Or even Bebop if that's where 'old' starts for them. There's tons of other options too...

So yeah, it's hard to pick one general recommendation since I always try to cater to the individual taste of someone if I recommend them something.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 11, 2016 6:56 PM
Jul 2018
The original Lupin III. The animation is very good so it's great for someone who wants to get used to older stuff.
Apr 11, 2016 6:57 PM

Jun 2015
Ghost In the Shell movies, because they are objective masterpieces.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Apr 11, 2016 6:58 PM

Apr 2014
Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are usually safe bets for anyone to take. Also, Akira if you feel they are edgy enough.
Apr 11, 2016 6:58 PM

May 2014
Ghibli movies

Trigun + Cowboy Bebop probably
Apr 11, 2016 7:01 PM

Nov 2011
Pullman said:
Well, aside from the obligatory 'it depends on the person's taste and what prejudices they have against older anime', I could probably agree that Future Boy Conan is a decent show to show them because of the universal appeal of Miyazaki. But I could also see myself going for a bunch of movies with high budget just to showcase how great older anime can look visually. Akira, Venus Wars, Sea Prince and Fire Child, Yousei Florence for example. Or even Bebop if that's where 'old' starts for them. There's tons of other options too...

So yeah, it's hard to pick one general recommendation since I always try to cater to the individual taste of someone if I recommend them something.

I figure most know that a lot of older anime movies still look good I mean Akira is still pretty famous and known for its impressive visuals but I would want to prove that older series can still look beautiful and have a strong story and set of characters that have aged well and still feels solid today. I did also pick it because not knowing the person's personal preference I figure Future Boy Conan is likely to appeal to the average anime watcher since it focuses on adventure and science fiction in a not as campy way as say Captain Harlock (Which I personally enjoyed just as much).
Apr 11, 2016 7:02 PM

Aug 2014
Trigun, granted the art style doesn't really hold up to modern day standards. However, the story is still really good in my opinion, the comedy elements are still funny, the characters are memorable and most people consider it to be a good anime even now. Don't really know anyone who hates it outright, but I'm sure someone will prove me wrong at some point.
Apr 11, 2016 7:02 PM

Nov 2011
Protaku said:
Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are usually safe bets for anyone to take. Also, Akira if you feel they are edgy enough.

What's so edgy about Akira? Its considered an anime masterpiece even though the manga is far superior.
Apr 11, 2016 7:07 PM

Apr 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
Protaku said:

What's so edgy about Akira? Its considered an anime masterpiece even though the manga is far superior.

It can be considered edgy to someone who has never seen an anime before and is easily impressionable.
Apr 11, 2016 7:13 PM

Feb 2016
YuYu Hakusho, Tenchi Muyou, Dragon Ball, that are pretty good old anime tho...
''Ask not the Sparrow, how the Eagle soars'' - Kiryūin Satsuki
Apr 11, 2016 7:45 PM

Apr 2015
I wouldn't want to recommend anything too lengthy so they don't have to invest time into something they would not like.

Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen
It's a four episode OVA that is a prequel to the main series. Despite being a prequel it stands on its own pretty well and is short enough to watch in a single sitting so you don't have to invest much time into it. It also looks great in terms of art style, animation, and cinematography even compared to today's standards.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/44/Rurouni_Kenshin__Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan_-_Tsuiokuhen

Cowboy Bebop
Tons of fun. A lot of "filler" episodes so you can pick up a lot of episodes by themselves. Looks clean and fluid. OST is great. Appeals to a lot of people that don't watch anime.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1/Cowboy_Bebop

Berserk
I actually don't really like this anime that much. My reading of the manga makes me hold this in a noticeably lower regard. Most people still like it though (It's Berserk, who wouldn't).
http://myanimelist.net/anime/33/Berserk

The only anime besides these I can think of right now are Akira, GitS (1995), and some Ghibli movies.
InducedPhobiaApr 11, 2016 7:51 PM
Apr 11, 2016 8:08 PM

Nov 2011
I should've expected when I said older anime people would mainly stick to the 90s though I was thinking 70s, and 80s when I made this.
Apr 11, 2016 8:12 PM

Jun 2015
Saint Seiya, Lupin III , Yu yu Hakusho or Maison Ikkoku, depending on their preferred genre. Reason is because I still think they're good.
Apr 12, 2016 4:56 AM

Feb 2013
Death Note, Code Geass, Clannad, Monster, and the original Mushishi are my favorite retro anime everyone should watch
Apr 12, 2016 4:58 AM
Mar 2011
romagia said:
Death Note, Code Geass, Clannad, Monster, and the original Mushishi are my favorite retro anime everyone should watch

none of waitch are old in any way fact
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 12, 2016 5:00 AM
Mar 2011
people here have odd ideals of what old is here moslt yonger people im 31 and i can match show 20 years older than me and while by then i call them old but there still enjoyable
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 12, 2016 5:00 AM

Apr 2015
inb4 LoGH

Perhaps Cowboy Bebop, Urusei Yatsura, MSG, Evangelion, Astro Boy, or maybe Touch?
Apr 12, 2016 5:03 AM

Aug 2013
Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball, original Saint Seiya, Megazone 23, Bebop, Black Jack 1993 Ova.
Apr 12, 2016 5:03 AM

May 2015
Cowboy Bebop, and if they didn't like it, I would then strangle them.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Apr 12, 2016 5:04 AM

Jun 2015
If old is pre-2000, I'd start with 90s titles like:

Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Shoujo Kakumei Utena
Ghost in the Shell
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
Seikai no Monshou

Then some Ghibli, Top wo Nerae! and Early Days as introductory to the 80s, you can follow with some classic long-runners that are quite accessible like Touch and Kimagure Orange Road.
+ some random ovas, introduction to some big franchises such as Gundam or Macross and the more Dezaki anime, the better
Apr 12, 2016 5:15 AM

Feb 2015
When you say older I will assume you are talking about 60s,70s and 80s. I would recomend:
Lupin III part1, castle of cagliostro: Lupin, Jigen, Fujiko, Goemon and Zenigata are just some of the most iconic characters and even te old series are quite good, also miyazaki directed some episodes and cagliostro was his first movie. Lupin is actually similar to Bebop

Captain Tsubasa: the anime of my childhood.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0079, Zeta, ZZ and Char's counter attack: The UC timeline gundam series are just amazing and you have dozens of iconic characters like Char Aznable, Amuro Ray, Kamille Bidan, Bright Noa, Haman Karn, etc. Char is basically Lelouch 1.00 and is a way better character. The story is also super epic.

Old Tezuka anime like Astro Boy (60s and 80s), Princess Knight and Kimba the White lion: Some of the most influencial works ever.

Old Go Nagai series like Devilman and Mazinger: again some of the most influencial anime out ther.

Akira: one of the best movies ever made and it is so famous it doesn't need any more explanation

Some others that are influencial and famous to be good: space battleship yamato, super dimension fortress macross, galaxy express 999, space pirate captain harlock, Ashita no space adventure cobra, Saint Seiya, the original Dragon Ball, Fist of the north star, Sakigake!! Otokojuku etc.
You_Go_NowApr 12, 2016 5:31 AM
Apr 12, 2016 5:23 AM

Jun 2015
You_Go_Now said:
The problem of that approach is that it most probably wouldn't work. You get someone from current anime right into Mazinger or Galaxy Express and they'd quit after an episode (or half).
The better way is to progressively watch older works, so you'll appreciate the artstyle and way to make anime in a much easier way than just starting from the raw beginning.

And you won't find stuff like Princess Knight subbed, but I guess you know that far.
Apr 12, 2016 5:29 AM
Jul 2018
Utena, because it's revolutionary
Apr 12, 2016 5:30 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Some old Ghibli films seems like the safest choice if you ask me
Apr 12, 2016 5:31 AM

Jan 2016
Hmm, really depends on how many years ago is "older" :P
And the tastes of the person, of course.

Looking at the other suggestions, maybe something like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Trigun (loved this so much), a few Ghibli movies, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, and many others that are already named.
Apr 12, 2016 5:33 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
If they like something manly, I recommend them Fist of the North Star, they definitely need to see some ATATATATATA

If they like something girly, then I recommend them Cardcaptor Sakura.

If they're into Mecha, then I recommend them Gundam Wing.

If they're into Sports, then I recommend them Ashita no Joe

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Apr 12, 2016 5:35 AM

Aug 2014
KuuhakuDesu said:
I would recommend Cardcaptor Sakura, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, InuYasha and Hunter x Hunter (1999).

I have Rurouni Kenshin on queue, but is the old Hunter x Hunter as long as the current one going on?
Apr 12, 2016 5:36 AM

Feb 2015
Lordwen said:
You_Go_Now said:
The problem of that approach is that it most probably wouldn't work. You get someone from current anime right into Mazinger or Galaxy Express and they'd quit after an episode (or half).
The better way is to progressively watch older works, so you'll appreciate the artstyle and way to make anime in a much easier way than just starting from the raw beginning.

And you won't find stuff like Princess Knight subbed, but I guess you know that far.

When i watched Lupin for the first time the oldest stuff i had watched were, My neighbour totoro, Akira, Bebop and Lain so if you are really intersted in old anime you can get over the animation, after a few series yu'll get used to it. But that may be just me since I used to watch some weird retro anime on portuguese TV and some of them are not even available sub or dubbed online like Bakusou Kyoudai Let's & Go, Captain Tsubasa, Ninja Hattori-kun, Doraemon and even princess knight.
Apr 12, 2016 5:39 AM

Dec 2015
DateYutaka said:
people here have odd ideals of what old is here moslt yonger people im 31 and i can match show 20 years older than me and while by then i call them old but there still enjoyable

Yeah I'm amazed some people here think stuff from a mere 10 years ago is old.
Apr 12, 2016 5:45 AM

Feb 2013
From the 70's (even though it's from 79 to 80) I would recommend Rose of Versailles, it's a great romance and historical anime about the french revolution, even though we know stuff from school the anime is really entertaining.
From the 80's I would recommend Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, it's the first good battle shounen anime, Saint Seiya was ok, but the first arcs are always the same and the animation doesn't help too much.
From the 90's I would recommend Slam Dunk that is the best sports anime ever from my opinion even though I don't like basketball at all, it has everything from great rivalries between Rukawa and Sendoh and a lot of comedy coming from Sakuragi.
Also from the 90's I would also recommend Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin, both have amazing fights and a lot of sad moments.
Apr 14, 2016 11:57 AM

Nov 2014
InducedPhobia said:
I wouldn't want to recommend anything too lengthy so they don't have to invest time into something they would not like.

Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen
It's a four episode OVA that is a prequel to the main series. Despite being a prequel it stands on its own pretty well and is short enough to watch in a single sitting so you don't have to invest much time into it. It also looks great in terms of art style, animation, and cinematography even compared to today's standards.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/44/Rurouni_Kenshin__Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan_-_Tsuiokuhen

Cowboy Bebop
Tons of fun. A lot of "filler" episodes so you can pick up a lot of episodes by themselves. Looks clean and fluid. OST is great. Appeals to a lot of people that don't watch anime.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1/Cowboy_Bebop

Berserk
I actually don't really like this anime that much. My reading of the manga makes me hold this in a noticeably lower regard. Most people still like it though (It's Berserk, who wouldn't).
http://myanimelist.net/anime/33/Berserk

The only anime besides these I can think of right now are Akira, GitS (1995), and some Ghibli movies.

Came here to post these, maybe a few others but mainly these.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Apr 14, 2016 12:02 PM
Aug 2015
romagia said:
the fact that you think those qualify as old, means you don't know what old is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2016 12:03 PM

Jun 2013
Waifu_Strangler said:
I would reccomend them Future Boy Conan since people fanboy over Miyazaki anyway and this is easily his best work. The art is still very solid and beautiful and the story is still engaging and full of lovable characters.

I'd do the same. Currently watching it. How could I miss this one?! Also Bebop for action junkies, if you consider it old thou.

DateYutaka said:
romagia said:

He's being sarcastic. Of all people, you should know better. lel
ImpalaApr 14, 2016 12:18 PM
Apr 14, 2016 12:15 PM

Oct 2014
romagia said:
MAL's definition of "new anime" is "anime from after MAL started in 2004" so none of these would count as "old anime".

My favourite old anime are Full Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Berserk, but obviously not everyone is going to like these. It depends on their taste.
Apr 14, 2016 12:22 PM

Jan 2016
Depends on what would you call an older anime, if it's smth atleast 10 years old...

Ergo Proxy - It's pretty interesting and easy to comprehend.
Elfen Lied - It was my first anime ever seen (excluding DBZ) and I enjoyed it!
Afro Samurai - this is made in 2007, but the art is old-school... And the anime itself is only 5 episodes long.

Can't really offer much since I didn't watch any old animes :x
Apr 14, 2016 12:30 PM

Nov 2011
Impala said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

I'd do the same. Currently watching it. How could I miss this one?! Also Bebop for action junkies, if you consider it old thou.

DateYutaka said:

He's being sarcastic. Of all people, you should know better. lel

Are you sure he was? Because I can't fucking tell with folks on MAL..

TheMoonServant said:
Depends on what would you call an older anime, if it's smth atleast 10 years old...

Afro Samurai - this is made in 2007, but the art is old-school... And the anime itself is only 5 episodes long.

When I made this thread I was thinking 70s, and 80s anime.
Apr 14, 2016 12:30 PM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
romagia said:
MAL's definition of "new anime" is "anime from after MAL started in 2004" so none of these would count as "old anime".

My favourite old anime are Full Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Berserk, but obviously not everyone is going to like these. It depends on their taste.
This might be a tad off topic, but i've been looking up the history of MAL because of this post, and the oldest record of the site is from 2003, which is a simple page without any listing features
https://web.archive.org/web/20031017013422/http://www.myanimelist.net/

Following that, there's a period of ~2.5 years when no records of MAL are found (except for a 404 page, which could indicate that the site was dead). After that, the next oldest web archive page is in may 2006 which is really close to the whois for the site which shows a 2006-04-01 creation date, and finally starts looking like the MAL we know and love (unlike the 2003 page)

What actually was created in 2004 is Crave Online, which bought MAL in 2008 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CraveOnline ).

So, Monster and Mushishi would somewhat qualify as "old" by this definition, since they appeared in that 2.5 year blackout of the site. Or alternatively, the definition should be expanded to late 2003 anime which would be the oldest "new anime".
romagiaApr 14, 2016 12:36 PM
Apr 14, 2016 12:32 PM

Nov 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
romagia said:

I thought MALs definition of new anime was ani e that first aired within the last 6 months?
Apr 14, 2016 12:34 PM

Jan 2016
Waifu_Strangler said:
TheMoonServant said:

Well, I definitely can't help then :D
Apr 14, 2016 12:38 PM

Nov 2011
TheMoonServant said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Well, I definitely can't help then :D

That said DBZ technically first aired in 1989 so it would count ofcourse everyone has already seen it and made their opinion on it. We all know the original Dragon Ball was far better anyway :/
Apr 14, 2016 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
@romagia @Waifu_Strangler
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=490777&show=0

"Then why all of the Ghibli titles now?
To note, it wasn't all of the Ghibli titles now. It was 13 of the 31 Ghibli entries, which amounts to roughly 41.9%. Additionally, all of Ghibli's movies released after MAL's creation (2004) have romanized titles; e.g. Gedo Senki vs. Tales of the Earthsea; Gake no Ue no Ponyo vs. Ponyo on a Cliff; Karigurashi no Arrietty vs. The Secret World of Arrietty; Kokurikozaka kara vs. From Up on Poppy Hill; etc."

"Consider the newer Ghibli movies (post-2004)"
Apr 14, 2016 12:41 PM

Nov 2013
If they...

-are someone that like tits and ass, watches a lot of R+ stuff, heaven's lost property or highschool of the dead

-are your friend, but not like very close, code geass, or death notes. The mainstream stuff

-are your best friend, school days and boku no pico 10/10
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Apr 14, 2016 12:44 PM

Jul 2015
I'd start with the mandatory pretty sci-fi movies, Akira and Ghost in the Shell.
Apr 14, 2016 12:49 PM

Feb 2013
zombie_pegasus said:
@romagia @Waifu_Strangler
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=490777&show=0

"Then why all of the Ghibli titles now?
To note, it wasn't all of the Ghibli titles now. It was 13 of the 31 Ghibli entries, which amounts to roughly 41.9%. Additionally, all of Ghibli's movies released after MAL's creation (2004) have romanized titles; e.g. Gedo Senki vs. Tales of the Earthsea; Gake no Ue no Ponyo vs. Ponyo on a Cliff; Karigurashi no Arrietty vs. The Secret World of Arrietty; Kokurikozaka kara vs. From Up on Poppy Hill; etc."

"Consider the newer Ghibli movies (post-2004)"
yeah, and it's also xinil's join date (which is still later than Monster's first eps!)
but there's still a black hole of information from 2005.. and the "in construction" page from 2003
Apr 14, 2016 12:56 PM

Oct 2015
Well Akira and Cowboy Bebop have always been reliable gateway anime for a lot of westerners.
Apr 14, 2016 1:01 PM

Feb 2010
romagia said:
zombie_pegasus said:

This might be a tad off topic, but i've been looking up the history of MAL because of this post, and the oldest record of the site is from 2003, which is a simple page without any listing features
https://web.archive.org/web/20031017013422/http://www.myanimelist.net/

Following that, there's a period of ~2.5 years when no records of MAL are found (except for a 404 page, which could indicate that the site was dead). After that, the next oldest web archive page is in may 2006 which is really close to the whois for the site which shows a 2006-04-01 creation date, and finally starts looking like the MAL we know and love (unlike the 2003 page)

What actually was created in 2004 is Crave Online, which bought MAL in 2008 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CraveOnline ).

So, Monster and Mushishi would somewhat qualify as "old" by this definition, since they appeared in that 2.5 year blackout of the site. Or alternatively, the definition should be expanded to late 2003 anime which would be the oldest "new anime".

I've definitely seen 2004 and 2005 registration dates though when I was browsing threads from 2006/07
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 14, 2016 1:03 PM

Oct 2012
If you are talking mainly about the 80s, I would highly recommend Area 88. It's a pretty short anime, but makes quite an impression. Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, or Kimagure Orange Road would work if he/she likes rom-coms. Otherwise, there is stuff like Patlabor. If you want to go 70s, I would say Rose of Versailles definitely! If he/she is not interested in shoujo, I guess Ashita no Joe/Lupin III would be solid popular choices.

Edit: Someone else mentioned Megazone 23. It's a pretty solid gateway into 80s OVAs if he/she doesn't mind some camp.
toyall123Apr 14, 2016 1:07 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 9 minutes ago

2 by Rally- »»
52 seconds ago

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - 45 minutes ago

2 by Dumb »»
2 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by Rally- »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

15 by Dumb »»
12 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - 4 hours ago

4 by Trivia-man-Frank »»
54 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.