Aug 28, 2015 7:47 PM
Jul 2018
Dubbed anime is how i got into anime but now i watch mostly subbed
Jan 30, 2016 6:24 PM
Jan 2016
I'm a newbie to anime. I only watch dubs because:
1. I'm from the United States.
2. English is my mother tongue.
3. I don't want to stare at the bottom of the screen when I am listening to Japanese audio.
4. I am nearsighted.

Another thing is that when I see google images of anime shots with English subtitles, (don't call me a weirdo or anything) I get it stuck in my head, stay in the same position when I was looking at images, and then I can't sleep at night, and finally I don't search something again.

I love dubs and it's just a fact that I am a newbie to the anime world. So yeah.
Jan 30, 2016 6:25 PM

Jul 2013
Because i fucken want to OP. That is why i watch dub.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jan 30, 2016 7:13 PM

Nov 2013
Some times I want to watch casually while I'm playing a game or something and I don't want to stare at the bottom third of the screen.
Jan 30, 2016 7:21 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Only if I don't find the subbed version of anime I want to watch everywhere.....like Yu Yu Hakusho and Medabots.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 30, 2016 7:58 PM

Mar 2012
Okay, we really need to get something out of the way. The negative attitude towards English dubs doesn't come from 'enlightenment' or some bullshit like that. It's ignorance plain and simple.

The quality of dubs vary quite a bit. There are dubs that are amazing, there are dubs that are great, there are dubs that are good, that are dubs that are just okay, there are mediocre dubs, there are sub par dubs, there are bad dubs and there are fucking awful dubs. The attitude that causes people to arbitrarily label all or the vast majority of that as shit is not the result of some sort of informed conclusion. Quite the opposite actually.

The attitude usually comes from a number of outside factors that have nothing to do with whether or not the people making the dubs are doing their jobs. Watching shows in Japanese as they air and getting overly attached to the version you saw first, peer pressure, /a/ meme culture infecting the brain, watching some awful Sentai dub and somehow coming to the conclusion that all dubs are that bad from that, sometimes even all of the above.

Never does this attitude ever come from experience. Experience allows you to tell good from bad and also understand the varying levels in between. Experience will teach you that it is wrong to stereotype. Simply put, the anti dub attitude is stupid as hell.

So no, I do not have to justify why I watch English dubs nor should I ever need to.
SeibaaHomuJan 30, 2016 8:09 PM
Jan 30, 2016 8:17 PM

Dec 2015
Because I fucking can. Why do I have to justify myself for watching it?
Jan 31, 2016 1:38 AM

Oct 2015
Unless the dub is terrible I usually watch the dub because if I'm reading subtitles I sometimes (though rarely) miss whats going on if it's an action scene or something.
Jan 31, 2016 4:16 AM

Mar 2014
Unnecessary dub thread necro, oy vey!
xSakuraBeautyx said:
I'm a newbie to anime. I only watch dubs because:
1. I'm from the United States.
2. English is my mother tongue.
I am from Sweden and France but I don't watch anime dubbed in Swedish or French

Language and country is irrelevant

Or are you implying that native English speakers are allergic to listening to foreign languages? Because I can assure you that that is not the case
3. I don't want to stare at the bottom of the screen when I am listening to Japanese audio.
Which is why, after a while, your brain will get used to it and start processing the translation so quickly that you won't even notice that you're reading subs
4. I am nearsighted.
Glasses exist for a reason
Another thing is that when I see google images of anime shots with English subtitles, (don't call me a weirdo or anything) I get it stuck in my head, stay in the same position when I was looking at images, and then I can't sleep at night, and finally I don't search something again.
WFT?
I love dubs and it's just a fact that I am a newbie to the anime world. So yeah.
I don't see what your point is
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 31, 2016 5:09 AM

Oct 2015
If it's on TV, I watch it casually. When I am watching a specific anime, no, never.
Jan 31, 2016 5:21 AM

Nov 2015
BigT232 said:
Comic_Sans said:
Not this shitty excuse again

When will people learn that reading a book and watching a foreign movie with subtitles are two completely different things?

Not really an excuse, it's the truth. I have a back catalog of books to read and when I feel like reading I grab a book. If I want to watch something I do so in English because that's how I enjoy watching TV/movies.

If anime subs were to be a book you wouldn't understand shit anyway. I would be like reading a play script without intros.
Im not against people who watch dubs or anything but I've heard this shit a thousand times before irl and I'm just doing my job here..
Jan 31, 2016 5:34 AM

May 2014
I watch both dub and sub, and I never have understood why so many people hate dubbed anime so much- of course, there are bad ones, but there are good ones as well. Some dubs can even be better than the subs and fit the overall mood of the show more which was the case with anime such as Hetalia, Black Butler and Baccano! imo.

Overall, I guess I prefer subs since I just really like Japanese as a language (it's easy on the ears), but if I can't be bothered reading subs or if a show is particularly wordy, then odds are that I'll watch the dub instead.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2016 5:42 AM
Jan 2016
I've never watched a dubbed anime. But now I'm wondering. How do they translate words like oni chan, tsundere, eroge...
Jan 31, 2016 5:47 AM

Jul 2015
english voice in anime is disgusting
Jan 31, 2016 6:31 AM

Jul 2013
jasonj5 said:
I've never watched a dubbed anime. But now I'm wondering. How do they translate words like oni chan, tsundere, eroge...

They don't lol. They still use the Japanese word.
Jan 31, 2016 6:42 AM

Mar 2014
Oh here we go again. Well i started out like most people watching dubs only, I quickly accepted subs though, now I watch both. Shows like black butler and hellsing set in victorian england or have german etc... characters feel wrong when watched in japanese. Also believe it or not some dubs are pretty darn good such as death note and code geass which i'm also currently watching in dub.

notice how its mostly people who watch sub only hate on dub and not the other way around.
Jan 31, 2016 6:46 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, I watch both now, I watch more subs than I did before when I posted on here months back.

I also think it makes far more sense to watch Black Butler in dub form and did and will watch Hellsing that way too. I agree a lot of dubs are much better than people give them credit for including Death Note and I think even Bleach has a pretty good dub. I'm watching Bleach dubbed and most of the voices are great, at the end of some of eps I've watched the next time and illustrated guide bits have still been in Japanese and I don't really like their voices.

I don't see why it bothers people, watch a mix, watch one or the other, it doesn't really matter to one person what another does concerning something so trivial.
Jan 31, 2016 6:56 AM

Apr 2008
I do what I want .<.

though tbh I only watch dubbed anime if I'm watching on a small device.

stephtastrophe said:
I don't see why it bothers people, watch a mix, watch one or the other, it doesn't really matter to one person what another does concerning something so trivial.

this
can't we all just get along

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Jan 31, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah we should be able to. At the end of the day we still enjoy anime either way.
Jan 31, 2016 7:10 AM

Jul 2015
What is original is usually better.

Jan 31, 2016 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
I find that dubs often dilute the experience. Subs aren't perfect either, but they are much better as they tend to stay closer to the author's original vision.

Basically, I have a very hard time understanding why anyone would watch dubbed anime, but if they enjoy it, who am I to judge?
Jan 31, 2016 7:49 AM

Jul 2013
They change a few things a person says sometimes in dubs but the overall plot and characters are the same so it really makes no difference either way.
Jan 31, 2016 7:56 AM

Mar 2015
Lemon said:

You sound like some middle-aged tourist in a Japanese restaurant in Japan which serves local Japanese people, complaining the Japanese curry is not authentic and tastes nothing like Indian curry.

I agree. What this guy means is dubs are an interpretation of something created for a different audience, so don't complain about it cause it's nothing like the original. Arguably, subs are also an interpretation of the anime- it's in Japanese and translated to English so you can understand. Some of the meaning is lost through translation so you don't get exactly what the creator may have meant, and there are also many different subs for a single anime. Therefore, the only "real" way to enjoy anime as "how it should be" is to learn Japanese and watch it without subs.

When I download anime, I don't care for subs or dubs- just whatever downloads faster lol. Sometimes I download a version where both subs and dubs are available, so I listen to them both and pick the one I like better e.g. FMA, Soul Eater I watched in dub
GaryMuffuginOakJan 31, 2016 8:00 AM
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jan 31, 2016 8:45 AM

Mar 2014
_Lain said:
notice how its mostly people who watch sub only hate on dub and not the other way around.
Not really

Dub fans can also get quite aggressive

The difference is that instead of attacking the audio, they start insulting the sub fans directly
4blaze2it0 said:
BigT232 said:

Not really an excuse, it's the truth. I have a back catalog of books to read and when I feel like reading I grab a book. If I want to watch something I do so in English because that's how I enjoy watching TV/movies.

If anime subs were to be a book you wouldn't understand shit anyway. I would be like reading a play script without intros.
Im not against people who watch dubs or anything but I've heard this shit a thousand times before irl and I'm just doing my job here..
Thank you
GaryMuffuginOak said:
Arguably, subs are also an interpretation of the anime- it's in Japanese and translated to English so you can understand. Some of the meaning is lost through translation so you don't get exactly what the creator may have meant, and there are also many different subs for a single anime. Therefore, the only "real" way to enjoy anime as "how it should be" is to learn Japanese and watch it without subs.
Subs still tend to preserve the original meaning more than dubs do though (at least from my experience)
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 31, 2016 8:48 AM

Jan 2016
I watch dubs because they make it easier for me to eat while I watch.

Jan 31, 2016 9:50 AM

Aug 2015
i sometimes watch dubs when i'm doing something else while watching

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Jan 31, 2016 10:42 AM

Jan 2014
I watched Dragon Ball series in dub and that's it...
Jan 31, 2016 11:17 AM
Jul 2018
I dislike dubs and I hate fandubs in my native (they're just disgusting)
But I would probably watch dubbed show if I can't find any subs at all.
Jan 31, 2016 11:21 AM

Dec 2015
I watch dubbed anime a lot, but I'll watch subbed if it's on hulu without a dubbed version (which is where I watch most of the series. If I can't find them there I just search online).
Banner credit to @turnip
Jan 31, 2016 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
I usually only watch dubs when I'm really tired, drunk/hungover, or doing other things while I watch. There are some dubs that I just genuinely enjoy the dub more than sub though. For example Girls Bravo, Fukuyama is just hilarious in the dub and I felt it wasn't as funny subbed. Also Rosario + Vampire, at least as far as the singing scenes are concerned I loved the sound of the English voice actors.
Jan 31, 2016 1:17 PM
Oct 2014
Only Children watch dubbed entertainment in my country. Adult watch in original language and with subs. Adult entertainment is never dubbed. So because of that I mostly watch with subs.
Jan 31, 2016 1:31 PM
Dec 2013
Because it's the only way Ghost Stories can and should be watched.
Jan 31, 2016 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
Probably because they are not able to multitask.

Oh well.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 31, 2016 8:17 PM

Mar 2014
Because I like watching shows in my own language. There's nothing wrong with subs at all, I like them, but if I have the opportunity to watch dubs, I will do it.
Jan 31, 2016 8:20 PM
Mar 2015
Within this community is it more common for people to watch subbed anime or dubbed? Or roughly equally split? Just wondering... :)
Jan 31, 2016 8:26 PM

Dec 2009
I mostly watch dubs because I don't really like Japanese voice actors that much. I love Japanese dubs from early 2000s and before but all these contemporary seiyuu all sound the same.

Also, I don't like reading subs at the bottom of the screen while watching a show.

Anyways, the vast majority of anime I watch is subtitled but I usually watch dubbed anime if given the option.
Jan 31, 2016 8:29 PM

Dec 2015
Funimation dub of One Piece gave me another excuse to watch Luffy vs CP9 guys again for the 10th time.

Jan 31, 2016 8:30 PM

Sep 2014
there are some anime I watch with the dub since kid like YuYu Hakusho and Dragon Ball, and since i get used what the hell.... but brazlian dub for anime isnt tht good, so I prefer not tp watch anything with dub..

I like some english dub....

especially action anime, Like Cowboy Bebop, Deserts Punk, Blak Lagoon... I think the dub for these anime are great, and since the story is not taken place in japan, i think the context really fits for english speak....
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jan 31, 2016 8:34 PM

Apr 2011
Because I don't understand Nihongo ? Why should I force myself to listen to un-understandable blathering when I can switch to english and not worry about keeping up with a text? You waste to much reading text.
Jan 31, 2016 8:35 PM
Jan 2016
I watch both english dubs and subs in the same amount.

The thing is, both can equally have poor voice acting and its understandable on why people wouldn't notice the Japanese side of this since its not their dominant language.

Personally? I love dubs because they give me another excuse to rewatch an entire series that I love and want to see again in some new form.
Feb 2, 2016 8:15 AM
Jul 2015
If it's good, I can get into the show more easily.

And also because Ghibli movies have the best dubs.

Example: Every version of When Marnie Was There I've seen, English, Japanese, French and Italian, has an amazing cast. They did not spare any expense there.
Feb 2, 2016 10:13 AM

Jul 2013
I understand someone using dubs for Death Note or DBZ... but everything else is better with subs, imo.
LivingANightmareFeb 2, 2016 10:56 AM
Feb 2, 2016 10:18 AM

Nov 2015
So I can paint my nails or text my friend talking shit about that one bitch we don't like...without having to stare at my screen and read what's being said.
Feb 2, 2016 10:19 AM

Nov 2015
lustinNthrustin said:
I understand someone using dubs for Death Note or DBZ... but everything else is better with subs.

Baccano! I think you're mistaken saying EVERYthing else is better with subs :p
Feb 2, 2016 10:23 AM

Jan 2016
I've never been interested on watching dubbed anime. Everything is better with subtitles (including non anime series in my opinion).
Feb 2, 2016 11:31 AM

Nov 2012
1. I don't like staring at the subtitles all the time, especially in a cartoon, when I should be looking at the art instead.

2. I personally enjoy something a lot more when it is in a language I actually understand (e.g. I usually laugh harder at jokes when they are in English).

3. I don't care what you say, but 90% of Japanese I hear is annoying as fuck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 2, 2016 11:35 AM

Oct 2015
I like both subs and dubs.
You like what you like, man. That's really all there is to it. Nothing you say will convince me to watch subs exclusively, and nothing I say will convince you to start watching dubs.
Feb 2, 2016 11:38 AM

Jul 2015
Lemon said:
To the people without learning disabilities or visual problems that affect their ability to read subtitles, I ask you this - why?

Is authenticity and having the correct intonations and pacing to match the mood not important to you? Does the weird contrast between cultural cues and language not bother you?

Please enlighten me.

Most people I know who don't want to watch anime or movies subbed is because it means they can't focus on the show itself. I know quite a few people who just won't watch subbed anime because it means they spend 90% of their time looking at the bottom inch of the TV and missing the art.

I on the other hand just watch the occasional dubbed show when it's a show I don't care about and I want to be able to watch it whilst playing a game or something. I also know people who don't watch subbed anime as they refuse to do only one thing at a time and would rather be playing a game and watching something at the same time instead of just sitting and watching something, having to focus on it entirely.

Also know other people who simply don't like the cliche anime voices. Know people who find the "kawaii" and high pitched female voices really annoying and also hate that half the guys have deep, booming voices that are far too old for the character.

So, yeah, lots of reasons.
Feb 2, 2016 11:42 AM

Feb 2014
Jesus Christ, why are people still necroing this thread? I feel so punished every time I get a notification.
Feb 2, 2016 11:44 AM

Jan 2012
If I hear that the dub is good or funny I'll watch it.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 21 minutes ago

1 by Adnash »»
5 minutes ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 9

70 by thorin001 »»
14 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - 2 hours ago

2 by thorin001 »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - 12 hours ago

31 by perseii »»
1 hour ago

» 🎖️Best Protagonist of all time & discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Aug 16

692 by silversain2 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.