Forum Settings
Forums

Would you rate a bad anime 1/10 if it had average graphics?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 3, 2015 4:25 AM

Apr 2014
It's rare for me but sure, if the rest is so abominable, not even the visuals can save it, regardless of how good they are!
Jul 3, 2015 4:48 AM

Aug 2014
A "1-rating" for me means I subtracted 4 points from my original starting point of "5". It makes me rating anime easier because I can just weigh down what are its selling points and downsides respectively, playing the score gauge meter until (mostly) everything was put into account.

1-rating will usually mean (to me) anime is imbalance, that I can find obvious flaws worth 4 points but at the same time won't let me give points to it for its good sides. Since this is basically impossible (every anime has at least a good point even just a teeny tiny one), I can say I might never give a 1-rating, graphics or visuals included, unless it is exceptionally (bad?).
HaeduansJul 3, 2015 4:52 AM
Jul 3, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2010
Nah, I don't imagine something to be bad enough to deserve 1 from me... Expect maybe things like Boku no Pico, but I wouldn't even bother to put it on my list, lolz. Average is average.
Jul 3, 2015 7:51 PM

Sep 2014
Animation is nice and all, but if it has abysmal plot, characters, atmosphere, world building and so on I'd give it a 1/10 no matter if it had the best animation of any anime ever created. It's like graphics in a video game they don't really matter a whole lot as long if it's passable and doesn't look like crap.
Jul 3, 2015 7:59 PM

Dec 2012
For regular anime, no, the lowest I'd rate one is 2.
For hentai, yes, because I don't rate them with the same scale.

My 1/10 spot is basically reserved for the worst of the worst hentai titles I saw.
KruszerJul 3, 2015 8:05 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jul 3, 2015 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
The only anime I have as 1/10 is this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/4389/Amada_Anime_Series:_Super_Mario_Brothers

I think it deserves it. The 'graphics' really aren't average though, so I suppose that's a bad example.

If the animation was only average, nothing more, and EVERYTHING else was shit, then yeah, I think I would give it a 1.
Jul 3, 2015 9:40 PM
May 2015
If I ever rated an anime 1/10, this means I dropped the hell out of this crap.

I just can't find it suitable to waste valuable time on crap anime while you have already a pretty long list in front of you.
Jul 4, 2015 12:45 AM

Mar 2015
please, watch utsu musume sayuri. it animation is not bad compared to nageo takena works. but, did it deserve higher rating than nageo takena works?

also don't forget the legend mars of destruction and stalker+heaven.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 4, 2015 4:34 AM

May 2015
Imaishi said:
LionCake said:

I know enough about it to say it has some redeeming qualities.

Redeeming for someone doesn't make it redeeming for others. There was like 1 thing I liked about the anime - and that was a character I found to be hot (Touka). Other than that, I absolutely hated the watch.

But that's beside the point anyway. 10/10 doesn't mean flawless, so 1/10 doesn't equal zero quality either.

Quite true.
Jul 4, 2015 3:58 PM

Jul 2014
Of course not
Jul 4, 2015 3:59 PM

Jun 2014
Only one show on my list deserves a 1/10 so no.
Jul 4, 2015 5:05 PM

Nov 2013
If everything else was horrible, yes. I can rate something 10/10 even if it has flaws, so I can rate something 1/10 even if it has a couple good stuff in it.
Jul 4, 2015 5:12 PM

Aug 2014
The only answer to this topic is a big fat no.

If you base off your liking towards graphics only, have fun with old school anime then.
Jul 4, 2015 5:19 PM

Jul 2012
Only if the characters, voice acting and plot sucks as well
Jul 4, 2015 5:40 PM

Feb 2014
The graphics of an anime are what make or break an anime for me.
I could not bring myself to enjoy Tengen Toppa, Kill La Kill, Stardust Crusaders, Ping Pong the Animation, NG and moreL, just due to how it looks. Just was not any fun. No matter how promising the story looks, if it literally looks horrendous then it'll be a 1/10.
v8 said:
The only answer to this topic is a big fat no.

If you base off your liking towards graphics only, have fun with old school anime then.

Old school anime (Anime with "old" animation) will always suck, for me.
Jul 4, 2015 5:51 PM

Feb 2015
Animation is one of the most key elements in watching anime in my opinion.

For me, I rate two points into animation. One point for fluidity, technique, and overall easiness on my eyes. The other point I give if it's my favourite style of animation or the people/studio working on the animation. My second point is purely biased and intertwines with the other factors that I rate on (such as story and sound)
My rating is also based on the era it came from. I wouldn't compare an anime's animation from the 80's and one from a current season.

For example:
If the animation blows my mind, and works well with the other elements, It's a 2/2 generally.
If I like how the animation flows, but I don't like how it looks, 1/2.
If I think there is too much going on to pay attention, but I love the animation or it's my favourite studio working on it, again 1/2
And of course, if I can't even understand how it got a green light with it's animation, 0/2.
Jul 5, 2015 2:14 PM

Dec 2013
I set the standard for a 1 as Mars of Destruction. If it's that bad, then it's a 1. Plain and simple.
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Jul 9, 2015 10:40 AM

Aug 2010
the only thing I gave a 1/10 ever to is Pupa. But pupa fails at more than just graphics, it fails at every thing. I think if at least graphics are decent then u can get 2/10.
1/10 is reserved for shows that have no redeeming points at all, but I gave them a 1 because they created a finished product. it gets a 1 for merely being a show lol.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 9, 2015 11:33 AM

Jun 2015
DGrimreaperD said:
"Bad" meaning that it's rushed/too slow, has bad characters, is unoriginal etc.

I would only rank an anime 1/10 if it had no redeeming qualities.

Graphics alone won't get a ranking higher than 2/10 or 3/10 from me.

yhunata said:
I find it amazing how people can say that the visuals of a visual medium is not important. That's like saying grammar or vocabulary isn't important for books or gameplay isn't important for games.

Story and character are independent of medium, and much more important.

A book written by even the most demanding grammar nazi would still be horrible without a strong, consistent plot and interesting characters.
DariamusJul 9, 2015 11:39 AM
Jul 9, 2015 11:48 AM

May 2015
kaorl said:
Graphics do not matter in a anime if the storyline is shit and the development is bad. If the storyline is bullcrap, and the characters are just pure no, you gonna rate that 1/10 even if the graphics were splendid.

That's too harsh. I'd give an anime about 3 or 4 out of 10 if the art was great but the story was poor. I'm not really talking about animation quality but rather art style. If the art style is unique/enjoyable enough to look at, it meant it contributed a little.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jul 14, 2015 11:45 AM

Jun 2015
I rate mostly based on plot line and originality. Graphics do effect my rating but not that much.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 )

Cestlavie_ - 7 hours ago

81 by RudeRedis »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Yesterday

29 by Shirayukin »»
5 minutes ago

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - Yesterday

17 by Trivia-man-Frank »»
6 minutes ago

» Are you a fan of the Touhou Project series?

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

15 by Punkero »»
9 minutes ago

» How generous are you with your 10s ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

n6ah - Apr 22, 2021

212 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.