Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 26, 2015 12:17 PM

Aug 2011
"Nanka eroi"
"Hentai"

Oh god I freakin' love those two's conversation and the atmosphere between them. Reina calling Kumiko by her first name all the time then forcing Rumiko to call her first name is super cute.
I also love Natsuki and Yuuko's relationship. Seeing them together in the festival is nice xD
May 26, 2015 12:20 PM

Jun 2013

LOL at these yuri fans. If every two female getting close means they must become lesbians, then half of the female population will be lesbians.

Nah, I don't ship people casually, KyoAni is really being terrible this time. And talking about sexual orientation in fictional works like anime is just pointless.
May 26, 2015 12:27 PM

May 2012
The yuri route's fine too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But yeah, I like this weird little friendship Kousaka and Kumiko have. Don't really care about romance in this anime despite my comment in a previous episode discussion, but like I said, I like this weird bond Kousaka and Kumiko have.

Thought Kousaka would just be a plain dandere character but she's actually pretty cute

May 26, 2015 12:34 PM

Dec 2013
First episode in the series that actually glued me to the screen. This show overall has some amazing atmosphere, but damn this episode was almost magical.
May 26, 2015 12:34 PM

May 2009
So much yuribait, well, bunch of people wants to be disappointed.
May 26, 2015 12:45 PM
Feb 2015
Poor hazuki, she got rejected but shuuchi isn't going to get kumiko anyway. Kumiko has reina:3

Reina looks amazing in that dress and I like her personality.
Omg sapphires little sis is so adorable. They are basicly twins :D can't contain that cuteness!!!
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
May 26, 2015 12:55 PM

Apr 2013
Can someone please explain what happened between Kousaka and Kumiko?
I think I missed something, because it felt like it came out from nowhere to me...
May 26, 2015 12:59 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
An ok episode. Aesthetically, this is probably KyoAni's best work to date. The sheer detail in backgrounds, objects, buildings, roads and so on are really a site to behold; especially for a 1 cour TV show, and not a movie or a high budget 2 cour.

I kind of hate the fact that this is just going to turn into one giant shipping war. I think the plot about the band redeeming themselves and are fixing their terrible reputation by working hard was fairly decent. I supposed that's just another reason why this show remains mediocre.

Poor Hazuki. She's such a cutie, I hate to her heart broken like that. But I guess that's what happens to side characters. Hopefully she can find another guy. Also hoping she can get Shuuichi and Kumiko together. You can do it Hazuki!

Good on Shuuichi for mustering up the courage to ask Kumiko. It's just too bad the terrible bitch Kousaka exists.

Speaking of Kousaka, boy that whole conversation between her and Kumiko was awkward. Really hate all this yuri undertone garbage. But judging by what some people are saying, it won't last long. Thank God.

Man, Sapphire's sister is just one giant ball of kawaii.
May 26, 2015 1:03 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014

R.I.P. my sanity
May 26, 2015 1:12 PM

Oct 2006
Smudy said:

R.I.P. my sanity

I don't know what you all mean, this is obviously how totally normal gal pals act all the time.

:^)
May 26, 2015 1:13 PM
Jun 2014
I love how they just turned to a more dramatic sort of episode. Also the scenery was gorgeous in this episode, even topping what I thought was really beautiful in the others. Good job, KyoAni.
May 26, 2015 1:21 PM

Mar 2013
Pen3 said:
LOL at these yuri fans. If every two female getting close means they must become lesbians, then half of the female population will be lesbians.

She literally said she loved her lmfao. Are you one of those people that says Shinji and Kaworu were just friends?
May 26, 2015 1:36 PM

Aug 2009
*shipping goggles on* I'M SHIPPING THEM ALL. This episode was a treat to shippers.

I'm usually very weak to unrequited love stories that I obsess over them for a period of time but gosh, I got over Hazuki and Shuuichi so fast. Kumiko and Reina's scenes were just simply wonderful. The reactions, the awkwardness, the sexual tension... The music they played was beautiful. Their interactions are certainly one of my favorites in this show. Gosh, KyoAni's performance in this show is superb.

(If Sapphire calls herself Midori, is it possible that Kohaku's real name is Amber?)

tl;dr Bait is super effective gdi
May 26, 2015 1:38 PM

Mar 2013
I really like that they included this lesbian relationship between Kumiko and Kousaka. Hope they will go deeper into that topic, since it feels unique compared to other shows and kinda realistic (the whole slow build up).
May 26, 2015 1:39 PM
Jan 2012
YumeNoMonogatari said:
I think I missed something, because it felt like it came out from nowhere to me...

I don't think this is Yuri at all.

As it is shown also in the previous episodes, Reina Kosaka (trumpet) and Kumiko Omae (euphonium) have different personalities, but they are drawn to each other as friends because of those differences.

Reina: a lone highly-motivated challenger, who wants to reach higher grounds, who dislikes things on live-and let-live basis, and who don't mind stirring up conflict.
Kumiko: a sociable non-motivated drag, who is traumatized by past conflicts, who is constantly is worried of confrontation, but who nevertheless stirs up by her slip of the tongue / crude honesty.

At their last tournament in the junior high school, as shown in the very beginning of Ep.1, Kumiko says to Reina whether she had really thought that they could win through to the national tournament (as in her honest evaluation, they weren't that good enough). Reina burst into tears saying that she was immensely disappointed, which became Kumiko's painful memory. Kumiko was hesitant to join the wind orchestra at highschool because of this, at least partly.

In this Episode 8, we learn that Reina wasn't actually hateful of Kumiko's past comment. She was attracted towards Kumiko because of her rather difficult "bad personality"; Kumiko being on the surface the usual nice and sociable cutie which Reina dislikes, but in the reality a cool minded girl who feels a distance from the very sociable but boring crowd. Reina is a loner who doesn't have friends to understand her motivation, but from past episodes she sees that Kumiko understands her well.

Like in Episode 6 when they both see the 3rd grader Kaori Nakaseko practicing trumpet. Kumiko says Kaori is great at playing it; Reina says well Kaori's good among those lot (implying that Reina is better/isn't going to lose in the audition). Kumiko then says that attitude is typical of Reina, showing understanding of Reina's personality, her pros and cons. Which is a direct reply to Reina's remark about Kumiko in Episode 5.
GohanwaOkazuMay 26, 2015 1:51 PM
May 26, 2015 1:39 PM

Aug 2011
Breathtaking episode. I love how Hazuki went from happily talking about her night to instantly crying from holding the rejection in; sad but beautiful. Wonder what Kumiko is going to say when they're back in school.

Reina x Kumiko all the way. Beautiful ending to the episode, especially with Reina's speech on how she's striving to be the "different" kind of different. The trek up the mountain was lol worthy too. "That's... kinda hot." "... Pervert." Their relationship is amazing. KyoAni please don't disappoint...

Excited to see the auditions! I wonder how Hazuki will do now that she's been heartbroken..

5/5 episode

May 26, 2015 1:40 PM

Apr 2013
VanishingKira said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Hurrah for anime physics! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 26, 2015 1:42 PM
Jan 2015
Masterpiece. Just like that.
May 26, 2015 1:43 PM

Apr 2014
I feel for Shuuichi and Hazuki. Like, so much. ;_;
May 26, 2015 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:

I don't think this is Yuri at all.

As it is shown also in the previous episodes, Reina Kosaka (trumpet) and Kumiko Omae (euphonium) have different personalities, but they are drawn to each other as friends because of those differences.

Reina: a lone highly-motivated challenger, who wants to reach higher grounds, who dislikes things on live-and let-live basis, and who don't mind stirring up conflict.
Kumiko: a sociable non-motivated drag, who is traumatized by past conflicts, who is constantly is worried of confrontation, but who nevertheless stirs up by her slip of the tongue / crude honesty.

At their last tournament in the junior high school, as shown in the very beginning of Ep.1, Kumiko says to Reina whether she had really thought that they could win through to the national tournament (as in her honest evaluation, they weren't that good enough). Reina burst into tears saying that she was immensely disappointed, which became Kumiko's painful memory. Kumiko was hesitant to join the wind orchestra at highschool because of this, at least partly.

In this Episode 8, we learn that Reina wasn't actually hateful of Kumiko's past comment. She was attracted towards Kumiko because of her rather difficult "bad personality"; Kumiko being on the surface the usual nice and sociable cutie which Reina dislikes, but in the reality a cool minded girl who differentiates herself from the crowd. Reina is a loner who doesn't have friends to understand her motivation, but from past episodes she sees that Kumiko understands her well.

Like in Episode 6 when they both see the 3rd grader Kaori Nakaseko practicing trumpet. Kumiko says Kaori is great at playing it; Reina says well Kaori's good among those lot (implying that Reina is better/won't lose in the audition). Kumiko then says it's typical of Reina, showing understanding of Reina's personality, her pros and cons. Which is a direct reply to Reina's remark about Kumiko in Episode 5.

I understood most of it when watching the episode. I was just curious if they went full yuri or not. I always felt yuri undertones but I thought that it was all there was to it. Undertones. But they suddenly got stronger this episode so didn't know if it was just two girls becoming friends or more.
May 26, 2015 1:51 PM

Apr 2012
May 26, 2015 1:58 PM

Nov 2013
Another great episode. Just love this show.
May 26, 2015 1:59 PM
Jan 2012
YumeNoMonogatari said:
I understood most of it when watching the episode. I was just curious if they went full yuri or not. I always felt yuri undertones but I thought that it was all there was to it. Undertones. But they suddenly got stronger this episode so didn't know if it was just two girls becoming friends or more.

I suppose you may call that sort of affection between girls "Yuri" if you must; I am not policing your understanding or wording (I am not a Yuri hater, in any case). However, I honestly don't think Reina is physically attracted to Kumiko at all (I suspect she is a bit physically and emotionally attracted to the advisor Taki-sensei).

You're alone with no one seemingly around understanding you. Then someone who understands your difficult personality but still likes you appears. You belong to the same sex, and become good buddies. Would you call that gay or yuri ?

... But I suppose it would be awkward to have guys saying and doing the same thing (imagine Goto-senpai and Shuichi doing the same thing. Free. Yuck).
GohanwaOkazuMay 26, 2015 2:06 PM
May 26, 2015 2:04 PM

Aug 2012
No mention of the mini-Sapphire ? Come on guys
May 26, 2015 2:10 PM

Apr 2013
GohanwaOkazu said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:

I suppose you may call that sort of affection between girls "Yuri" if you must; I am not policing your understanding or wording (I am not a Yuri hater, in any case). However, I honestly don't think Reina is physically attracted to Kumiko at all (I suspect she is a bit physically and emotionally attracted to the advisor Taki-sensei).

You're alone with no one seemingly around understanding you. Then someone who understands your difficult personality but still likes you appears. You become good buddies. Would you call that gay or yuri ?

No I wouldn't. This is what exactly what I think happened. Kumiko and Kousaka acknowledged each other, got closer to each other and became friends after a nice talk. It's just that the execution of those scenes made me confused. I think I got the wrong idea after scenes like this

or this (especially this one)

In the end we both agree that it was not yuri, right?
May 26, 2015 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was...actually fucking awesome and one of the best this season,if not the best.

Though my heart could hardly take all the yuri nuances.
"Nuances."
May 26, 2015 2:13 PM

Aug 2013
Such a good episode. I really hope Kumiko and Kousaka become a thing. I have felt something between the two since around Episode 5, and now it is getting really strong.
May 26, 2015 2:20 PM

Sep 2008
Hazuki scored a lot of points in my book this episode, she looked super cute in those clothes. I really wish it will work for her in the end since I think she'd be a good girlfriend.

Those two are SUPER gay for each other. Like super mega ultra gay. While I do not really mind, that level of gay is up to eleven, making it a bit awkward.

ooo333 said:
Aipom said:
If Kumiko ends up with that lame guy instead of Kousaka-san I'll be seriously pissed off. Hazuki was also very sweet this episode.

I actually like the personality of Shuichi. I like how he is not cliche or generic.

Exhibit A. Male childhood friend that likes his female childhood friend.
Exhibit B. When questioned about it, says "It isn't like that."
Exhibit C. Keeps pestering her even though it's clear he is not even remotely in her radar or has a chance in hell.

Nope, not generic/cliche at all.
May 26, 2015 2:32 PM
Jan 2012
To me, it's quite evident that Kumiko does have some feelings towards Shuichi, although she wouldn't like to admit it.

1) She is just being sulky because of Shuichi's premature attitude in public.
2) She is clearly perplexed when Shuichi is invited by Hazuki for the festival, which is shown in how she tightly grabs Reina's arm (and Reina realizes that well; that's why she asked Kumiko at the hilltop about worrying about Shuiichi). She is rather shocked at the time of returning home from school.
3) Kumiko has shown her special plainly unvarnished attitude towards Shuiichi as if he's a member of her family. They are that close.
May 26, 2015 2:32 PM

Jun 2013
So many emotions in this episode haha. Kyoto animation is really trying hard to make me bump up the score and I might consider it. Everyone was cute in the festival, Kumiko is in a interesting situation, and it was literally 5 screen shots per second near the end (I mostly got Reina)

The image "spoils" for this episode.
May 26, 2015 2:34 PM
Jul 2018
Bakken said:
Best episode so far!

Kumiko - "Doesn't your feet hurt?"
Kousaka - "They hurt. But I don't hate pain."
Kumiko - "What? That's kind of hot."
Kousaka - "Hentai."

Loved this.

Haha That conversation made me lol!

This episode was simply wonderful, 5/5!
May 26, 2015 2:37 PM

Apr 2013
Thespacepope said:
Exhibit A. Male childhood friend that likes his female childhood friend.
Exhibit B. When questioned about it, says "It isn't like that."
Exhibit C. Keeps pestering her even though it's clear he is not even remotely in her radar or has a chance in hell.

Nope, not generic/cliche at all.

Well he is kinda generic but maybe he wanted to say that he feels "natural"? (don't know if you can use that as an adjective)

GohanwaOkazu said:
To me, it's quite evident that Kumiko does have some feelings towards Shuichi, although she wouldn't like to admit it.

1) She is just being sulky because of Shuichi's premature attitude in public.
2) She is clearly perplexed when Shuichi is invited by Hazuki for the festival, which is shown in how she tightly grabs Reina's arm (and Reina realizes that well; that's why she asked Kumiko at the hilltop about worrying about Shuiichi). She is rather shocked at the time of returning home from school.
3) Kumiko has shown her special plainly unvarnished attitude towards Shuiichi as if he's a member of her family. They are that close.

She may have feelings for him or she may not... :P We can't tell for sure just yet.
May 26, 2015 2:52 PM
Mar 2012
MAH HEART. THE YURI. NEXT WEEK COME FASTER.
May 26, 2015 2:56 PM

Apr 2015
Yuri feels is in the air but this is Kyoani so unless their is a confession, it'll still not be shoujo-ai.

Shuichi rejecting Hazuki is expected. He is not romatically "in" to her. He has someone he likes definitely. That is Kumiko.

Reina is drawn to Kumiko. True. By why? Because Kumiko as friends. She is envious of her and so she wants to be like her, someone that is special. Why is Kumiko drawn to Reina, becoz she's like "close to perfect", and beautiful. Any girl will be drawn to another girl becoz of their looks or personality. But you can't say it's love. You are just fooled by the scene, and the music. Fool yah!! Ahahaha!!!

Note the reaction of Kmiko when Reina and Hazuki mentioned about Shuichi to Kumiko, she pauses, Reina noticed that in the hill and she knew Kumiko is in denial. No doubt Kumiko thinks of Shuichi at the festival.

Next episode, what will Kumiko think if she learn Shuichi rejected Hazuki. Hazuki will surely think Shuichi likes Kumiko and Kumiko will also think that way too.
#CHEXIT
May 26, 2015 3:02 PM

May 2009
Looks like Midori and Pikachu's child
May 26, 2015 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
Imeon said:
Yuri feels is in the air but this is Kyoani so unless their is a confession, it'll still not be shoujo-ai.

Shuichi rejecting Hazuki is expected. He is not romatically "in" to her. He has someone he likes definitely. That is Kumiko.

Reina is drawn to Kumiko. True. By why? Because Kumiko as friends. She is envious of her and so she wants to be like her, someone that is special. Why is Kumiko drawn to Reina, becoz she's like "close to perfect", and beautiful. Any girl will be drawn to another girl becoz of their looks or personality. But you can't say it's love. You are just fooled by the scene, and the music. Fool yah!! Ahahaha!!!

Note the reaction of Kmiko when Reina and Hazuki mentioned about Shuichi to Kumiko, she pauses, Reina noticed that in the hill and she knew Kumiko is in denial. No doubt Kumiko thinks of Shuichi at the festival.

Next episode, what will Kumiko think if she learn Shuichi rejected Hazuki. Hazuki will surely think Shuichi likes Kumiko and Kumiko will also think that way too.

Don't ruin it.
May 26, 2015 3:12 PM
Apr 2015
i really love the atmosphere and visuals on the hill besides the awkward finger brushing face that is totally unrealistic. (but i liked that the lips actually bounced a little xD)

friends do not touch each others lips. that gesture was definitely romantic.

Shuichi is absolutely stupid because he asks Kumiko out, but then goes with a friend of her and doesn't even think that she could be interested in him. who is that stupid?

i really loved Hazuki's hair after she took out the flower ♥
when she met up with Midori she had Ritsu movements from k-on^^
May 26, 2015 3:14 PM

Jul 2012
Jeez, it's amazing how much this show surprises me, it's awesome! And that art, can never get enough of it in this show, it's so gorgeous
May 26, 2015 3:15 PM
Nov 2013
This was such a stunning episode. Particuraly Kumiko and Kousaka's performance on the mountain together. I totally ship this possible yuri route, sorry Kumiko x Tsukamoto fans.
May 26, 2015 3:20 PM

Feb 2012
This could be KyoAni's best anime if they don't fuck it up.
May 26, 2015 3:23 PM
Sep 2014
And now have a little yuri and romance
May 26, 2015 3:43 PM

Feb 2009
Triangle indeed! So Shuichi likes Kumiko, and Hazuki likes Shuichi, but Kumiko might be falling for Reina? God, that's awesome. This better be a Shoujo-ai, or I'm going to be very upset. Don't use Shuichi as a cop-out, please.

May 26, 2015 3:48 PM

Jun 2014
I feel bad for all of the Reina/Kumiko shippers. I guess they would've made a cute couple. Too bad.

On the other hand, I think this is the first time I've heard the sound of a Euph so clearly. The duet at the end is pretty sweet. If only every episode could be this good.
May 26, 2015 3:48 PM

Apr 2015
cO_zero said:

friends do not touch each others lips. that gesture was definitely romantic.

Uhmm... only Reina did that!!!! Kumiko did not reciprocate!

Besides, my old friend always grabs my butt, but he is not gay!!!

But it's definitely forced, so that you will take the bait that Kyoani is AGAIN doing.

DejWo said:

Don't ruin it.

Oh..... gomen-ne. LOL
#CHEXIT
May 26, 2015 3:50 PM
Oct 2011
straggy said:
Pen3 said:

She literally said she loved her lmfao. Are you one of those people that says Shinji and Kaworu were just friends?

And Kumiko responds with "There's no way you're serious" she doesn't take it seriously and i don't either.

There are tons of anime with bromance that leads to nothing. Seems that it is impossible for some pure women connection without the yuri goggles on. Girls in High School act like that in real life and we finally get an anime that is more "life like" and people instantly think it is yuri. Yes girls in my HS touch each others boobs and i don't think they're lesbians doing so.
Pen3May 26, 2015 3:55 PM
May 26, 2015 4:09 PM
Jan 2012
Imeon said:
Besides, my old friend always grabs my butt, but he is not gay!!!

Are you sure?

... Just kidding.
May 26, 2015 4:20 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode. I felt the ending, with Kumiko and Reina playing together as the credits rolled, was brilliant. The music fit the melancholy atmosphere of the episode. I felt bad for Hazuki being rejected like that, and seeing her crying in front of Midori and her little sis.
May 26, 2015 4:24 PM
Mar 2014
Wow what an amazing episode. KyoAni doing what they do.

Kumiko x Reina scenes were incredible. And that night scenery..
May 26, 2015 4:25 PM

Jul 2012
Shuichi was so cute... I've always had a liking for him since the first episode. I feel like everything else but his crush on Kumiko was forced. But I did like what GohanwaOkazu said~ I don't really see the romance... I mean, I see why people think it's gonna turn into a shoujo-ai, but... Yeah.
Also, some translations were a bit awkward at times, too. Anyways, looks like I'll keep watching this for Shuichi... Here's to hoping he doesn't get thrown out on the back burner. I don't see him getting together with Hazuki or Kumiko though, but we'll see~
May 26, 2015 4:26 PM

Jul 2013
Panaru said:
alcrowry said:
All these moments between Kumiko and Reina...
If they are not together by the end of the series, we riot!

That scenery at the end was so beautiful. Good animation as usual.

I'll skip rioting and go full nuclear.

HAHA
KumikoxReina woo

Had a feeling I'd like Reina before watching the series, like her even more now while watching it.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

287 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Aug 6, 2:26 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2015

214 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Aug 6, 2:03 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2015

136 by JohnZ_GGs »»
Aug 6, 1:09 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

399 by PodcastsandAnime »»
Jul 19, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2015

194 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 26, 4:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.