Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2015 3:09 PM

Oct 2011
Pretty Awful. I can't imagine I'll keep watching this for long before it gets dropped.
Jan 6, 2015 3:20 PM

Mar 2014
Reminds me a little of last season's Trinity Seven except the MC isn't an open pervert. Seems like Kirito Thor is already forming his harem. Not a fan of the OP, but the ED is nice.
Zanos1Jan 6, 2015 3:31 PM
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 6, 2015 3:22 PM

May 2014
Pretty good so far
Jan 6, 2015 3:23 PM

Jun 2014
I thought the first episode was OK for what it was... I'll give the series this though, one episode in and I already really like the Julie character.
Jan 6, 2015 3:34 PM
Aug 2014
It feels like it's trying too hard to be funny. The elements are all over the place.
Jan 6, 2015 3:50 PM

Feb 2014
Ok first episode, will try a few more.
Jan 6, 2015 4:12 PM
Feb 2012
As generic as it can get..From the premise to the characters to the setting. Which I wouldn't have to much of a problem with if it was at least funny..But aside from maybe the classroom scene it really was not. Maybe I'll try one other episode and see if it gets better. Atleast funnier. If it doesn't I'm gonna drop it. I've seen to many of these generic magical high school anime with standard moe characters and MCs that hardly have any personality whatsoever. It's not worth the time.
Jan 6, 2015 4:37 PM

Apr 2010
Okashi_sama said:
Dropped the ep in the middle of it. it's hardly interesting. it looks like a higher budget version of Trinity Seven and somewhat similar to Mahou Sensou. definitely not watching this.

Oh God if it lacks even 50% as much soul as Mahou Sensou everyone should avoid this like the plague.
Jan 6, 2015 4:44 PM
Nov 2013
Was not as bad as I thought it would be, although very generic. I like the character designs and animation and op and ed songs were nice, I thought it was a decent first episode. Hopefully I don't end up dropping this
Jan 6, 2015 5:28 PM

Jul 2013
im disappointed from the first episode as a light novel reader well it was expected thank you 8bit first grisaia and now this -_-
Jan 6, 2015 5:31 PM

Jan 2008
So Kirito Yoshitsugu Matsuoka is like the voice actor of choice for generic harem anime insert magic/plot/etc now?

Well, these kind of shows I find fun but never expect much out of em, let alone for them to get anywhere.
Jan 6, 2015 5:40 PM

Mar 2009
OK first episode. Pretty generic, but the one redeeming factor is Julie. She's super sweet.

The character designs look like cheap version of Asura Cryin'. And the animation was pretty typical all together.

I my give it one more ep, depending on how good the rest of FUNi's pics are.

5/10
Jan 6, 2015 5:55 PM

Aug 2013
Naudri said:
As I thought, this is the typical ecchi-harem anime about magical schools.
Pretty average, as the genre implies. And pretty similar to Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance.

That teacher remindend me of Shinonono Tabane from Infinite Stratos with her behaviour.

There are a very few series that got my attention this season, so I might watch it to spend some free time.

Teacher reminded me of several different characters, partly because of the voice.

I disliked Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance because the female lead was overly tsundere. At least it doesn't seem like this series is going that way.
Jan 6, 2015 5:58 PM

Jun 2013
Not a bad start :)
Jan 6, 2015 5:58 PM

May 2012
Hmm... Somewhat entertaining so far. The opening, and especially the ending were nice.

I hope the ecchi part of the anime stays as mild as it currently is. Don't really mind if it's a harem though. But yeah, there's really nothing "special" about it.

Can't really blame MAL for hating on it, I guess. But geez, it's only the first episode lol

Jan 6, 2015 6:25 PM

Nov 2011
its like someone took infinite stratos and blade dance and made an anime
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jan 6, 2015 6:29 PM

Aug 2013
Was pretty meh.

The video quality was pretty shit for being 720p. I'm sure it would look a lot better on BD.

Art quality was decent. Again, probably would've looked better if the video quality wasn't bad. The art in the OP was pretty shitty though.

3D used in the quick beginning fight was atrocious. Hope we don't see too much more of that.

Funi subs were just as bad as always. Bishojou now means "cute little thing" and Tooru is now "Thor". Going to be a fun 11 more episodes with those subs.

Didn't really care for Julie too much. Found pretty much every other female character more appealing; bunny sensei, dark haired whip girl, and super tits girl next to her.

Everything else was pretty standard. Nothing different from any other show in the same genre, so if this your fancy, you'll probably like it. If not, take a hike now before you start complaining later down the road.
Jan 6, 2015 6:30 PM

Feb 2013
Randomly generated high school LN adaptation #684747584787843232. Nothing to see here folks
Jan 6, 2015 6:30 PM

Jan 2011
ohh you can't fool me with your kickass opening Duo!, at least gonna give this the benefit of the doubt since it's only the start but it feels like another typical battle harem.

just when i thought i was gonna have a break from Matsuoka's voice... nope they even brought along Tomatsu Haruka this is gonna take some time to get used to
Jan 6, 2015 6:32 PM

Feb 2008
I feel like this show is terrible, but it really wasn't all that bad, I'll give it a few more episodes.
Jan 6, 2015 6:47 PM
Jun 2014
i felt like when julie said "well thats "puts head down than up" too bad" they made a reference to that one guy who puts his head down before he finishes his one liner, he was on family guy too and i can't remember who it was. Thought it probably was the fact she was just tired.
Jan 6, 2015 6:52 PM

Oct 2013
Finally, some subs.
Been waiting forever for this.
Jan 6, 2015 7:01 PM

Jul 2013
This is the first time I've seen a school show where the first girl the MC meets isn't the main character.

and this mixed dorms stuff, I'm surprised the MC isn't a pervert judging by who his voice actor is lmao
lol
Jan 6, 2015 7:06 PM

Aug 2011
I don't want to be bitchy, but the colors were really really dark. I'm not sure who decided this but surely not a clever decision.

It was generic yet entertaining. I will give it a try.

» Escapism.

Jan 6, 2015 7:13 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
For a generic series it wasn't half bad, I liked it

The MC didn't seem like the typical harem MC and thank god the two girls we pretty much got introduced to the longest aren't the standard Tsundere cliche

Other than that the animation and art looked amazing and the action was pretty cool. The plot does raise some questions for me, so I hope that they get answered

Glad to hear that it was adapted pretty well too, should be a fun ride :)

Also I loveeeeeeeed the OP and ED
Jan 6, 2015 7:34 PM

May 2011
Ehhh... dropped. If I need to pick this up again in the next few weeks I'll hear the buzz about it. However, I don't see much promise in Absolute Duo. I'm not absolutely in love with the character models either.
Jan 6, 2015 7:39 PM

Dec 2013
Just as expected, this looks just like the usual magic school harem/ecchi, nothing new here, generic start, generic characters, etc. I'm getting tired of this formula tbh.

If anything, i'm glad the fanservice wasn't as heavy as i expected, but judging from the preview, i don't think it will stay this way for long. I just hope it's better than Trinity Seven.

Matsuoka Yoshitsu (Kirito, Sora, Arata) is a pretty damn good VA, sad to see his talent constantly wasted on generic harem/ecchi MCs.

Okay start, i wouldn't call it boring at least. Op is cool

3/5
PriestSlayerJan 6, 2015 8:46 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 6, 2015 8:41 PM

Apr 2014
MC is ok, hopefully his background won't be absolute shit.
Julie is a bore, other characters (bunny girl, black haired girl and brown haired girl) seem to be a lot more interesting.

- AP
Jan 6, 2015 9:50 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
透流
Tooru

Wtf is "thor". How in the world did they mess that up. Hopefully by next episode they get his name right because that was seriously distracting.
Jan 6, 2015 10:03 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
KuroDubZero said:
透流
Tooru

Wtf is "thor". How in the world did they mess that up. Hopefully by next episode they get his name right because that was seriously distracting.

Well, Thor is technically what the female MC calls the MC so it's not that far off. However, it isn't what's in the novels though even though "Thor" is mentioned. I would have preferred they stuck with Tooru and used Thor when the female MC calls him.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 6, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2013
Generic magic school ecchi harem LN adaptation for sure, but I'm a sucker for these types of shows if the characters are cute.
Jan 6, 2015 10:33 PM

Feb 2008
Ha ha ha... no. I didn't even last ten minutes. The goth loli is tempting, but I'll pass.
Jan 6, 2015 10:45 PM

Dec 2012
Great animation. I thought it was going to be a harem, but maybe not.
Julie is so cute, I want the same roommate (*-*).

Nice first episode.
Jan 6, 2015 10:52 PM

Dec 2014
Really bland and generic but I'll be damned if I wasn't entertained. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 6, 2015 11:00 PM

Jul 2013
The question is whether this will go the Trinity Seven route or the more bearable one like Madan Ou Vanadis. Although this feels more like Dragonar or that anime about one lone guy in an all-female school entering a competition in order to be granted a wish (I forgot it's title but it's from a few seasons back)

Unfortunately the MC is the type who scream every time he sees a half-naked chick *sigh*.

I probably won't last till more than episode 2 but I hope it changes.
Jan 6, 2015 11:01 PM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
wakka9ca said:
KuroDubZero said:
透流
Tooru

Well, Thor is technically what the female MC calls the MC so it's not that far off. However, it isn't what's in the novels though even though "Thor" is mentioned. I would have preferred they stuck with Tooru and used Thor when the female MC calls him.

There's a line from the novel saying something about her accent makes it sound like "Thor" so that could work if it's only her, but overall I still prefer "Tooru".
Jan 7, 2015 12:30 AM

Dec 2007

This is how I enjoy cheap entertainment.
Jan 7, 2015 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
I sort of have a Kirito and Asuna vibe at the first half of the episode since they have the same voice actors

Anyway, pretty much a generic start, since I seen a lot of this for its story, characters, and a harem. So nothing to say here, I would say the action and music was really good, especially those OP and ED songs. Damn, I could have pick Imari as the best girl, but then she leaves the school already. Hope she comes back in later episode.

Jan 7, 2015 12:39 AM

Apr 2011
Enjoyed the first episode. has similar aspects as Trinity Seven. Hope this show turns out good.
Jan 7, 2015 12:41 AM
Oct 2013
I did not expect there to be quite so much fan service so quickly.
Jan 7, 2015 12:43 AM

Dec 2010
Pretty dissapointing, only 12 episodes...they should make al least 20 episodes out of 5-6 volumes..
Mim
Jan 7, 2015 2:11 AM

Feb 2012
This feels like an old anime, cheesy ost and bad comedic timing. Just by the first episode I know I'll watch the whole thing shamelessly.

chris5462 said:
Enjoyed the first episode. has similar aspects as Trinity Seven. Hope this show turns out good.
I'm guessing Trinity Seven is like the only harem you've watched.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2015 2:14 AM

Jul 2013
Nice OP and ED.
Rather rushed but whatever.
Julie <3
Jan 7, 2015 3:19 AM
Apr 2014
KuroDubZero said:
透流
Tooru

Its supposed to be like that, Tooru is just the jap pronunciation. This show is based on Norse mythology and the "real" Thor (the god) is even in the OP...

Not to mention that Julie is swedish and Thor is a not that uncommon name in Sweden, she even states that its a name from her home country.
MineurJan 7, 2015 3:24 AM
Jan 7, 2015 3:25 AM

Dec 2014
Tooru is probably nicknamed after Thor because the way Japanese pronounce English is different than in the western world.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2015 3:59 AM

May 2013
>Good Afternoon

Typical Yoshitsugu and his engrish. Fancy.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jan 7, 2015 5:09 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
Mineur said:
KuroDubZero said:
透流
Tooru

Its supposed to be like that, Tooru is just the jap pronunciation. This show is based on Norse mythology and the "real" Thor (the god) is even in the OP...

Not to mention that Julie is swedish and Thor is a not that uncommon name in Sweden, she even states that its a name from her home country.

Norse Mythology? No. In fact this title is leaning more towards science fiction, but I can't explain all that without spoiling the story. The reason "Thor" was even associated with his name was because of the way she says his name in the novel. Apparently her accent makes it sound like she's saying "Thor" instead of "Tooru".

Later she tries to name fighting moves for Tooru similar to Lightning God Thor, but that's as far as that goes with the association. To just change his name to Thor isn't correct.
Jan 7, 2015 6:55 AM
Apr 2014
KuroDubZero said:

Norse Mythology? No. In fact this title is leaning more towards science fiction, but I can't explain all that without spoiling the story. The reason "Thor" was even associated with his name was because of the way she says his name in the novel. Apparently her accent makes it sound like she's saying "Thor" instead of "Tooru".

So the fact that the "real" Thor is in the OP and Julie's surname is a town with a LOT of ancient viking remains are just a plain coincidence ok.
Jan 7, 2015 7:21 AM

Oct 2013
ok for casual watching. .. like trinity seven, another is seirei blade or something. .. pretty similar with fun and ecchi and some fight...
Jan 7, 2015 7:28 AM
Manga Moderator
Sleepy

Jul 2009
Mineur said:
KuroDubZero said:

So the fact that the "real" Thor is in the OP and Julie's surname is a town with a LOT of ancient viking remains are just a plain coincidence ok.

If I didn't read the novel I would probably try to make the same connections to Norse Mythology, but I just explained that she tries to name his fighting moves in reference to Thor.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

220 by Baka_God »»
Sep 11, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

99 by Baka_God »»
Sep 11, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2015

120 by Zwavel »»
Mar 18, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2015

114 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Mar 2, 5:22 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2015

156 by Matheus_henriwue »»
Nov 13, 2023 12:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.