Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (25) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Sep 23, 2013 12:28 AM

Sep 2013
I don't give a rat's ass about the companies, and worst case is no more animes? yeah i'll be pissed but i'll be less pissed knowing that I didn't waste loads of cash of legal copies and shit.
Sep 23, 2013 12:30 AM

Oct 2010
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:
There is a moral issue indeed. The problem is, the excuses I can find benefit me a lot more than being limited by this moral issue.

Exactly, it's so much more convenient and easier to just throw excuses around and continue than actually trying to support what you pretend to love so much.

Yeah, I know, but look, one attitude allows me to watch what I want and the other limits me to the decisions of other people (I probably haven't emphasized enough on how my favorite series is not licensed in my country), as well as the known economical investment.

Of course I'll choose the "illegal" pathway.

I don't love the industry, by the way. I love anime, which has values beyond their economical. Therefore why I don't need to "pretend" to love anything.
Sep 23, 2013 12:30 AM

Sep 2013
newsWatch9 said:

It makes it way too convenient to just go "meh, I wouldn't have bought it anyways" at everything.
If you are not interested enough to buy a show, don't watch it!

It's not that I'm not interested, it's just why buy when you can watch it for free.
Sep 23, 2013 12:31 AM

Jun 2013
newsWatch9 said:
it'd be even better off without you guys!
If a pirate has no intention on purchasing a product, and the industry is better off without them then could you please clarify who exactly is losing out?
Sep 23, 2013 12:31 AM

Sep 2013
natsucule said:
I don't give a rat's ass about the companies, and worst case is no more animes? yeah i'll be pissed but i'll be less pissed knowing that I didn't waste loads of cash of legal copies and shit.

Yea we already know you don't give a damn about nor respect the people delivering you your favorite kind of entertainment, asshat.
Internet-piracy is the cancer of Anime, leechers need to get caught and die out!
Sep 23, 2013 12:34 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:
There is a moral issue indeed. The problem is, the excuses I can find benefit me a lot more than being limited by this moral issue.

Exactly, it's so much more convenient and easier to just throw excuses around and continue than actually trying to support what you pretend to love so much.

Which is why so many people immediately gang up against anything and anyone trying pop the excuses-bubble they work after.

No, its just that we know what bullshit its. Try to ACTUALLY defend your views instead of attacking everybody else's views. I already proved that you were wrong about piracy effecting the companies anyway.

You have proven NOTHING, just because you wouldn't have bought it in the first place doesn't mean it isn't a "lost sale".

It makes it way too convenient to just go "meh, I wouldn't have bought it anyways" at everything.

Yet again you haven't defended your views. Plus you don't know what a lost sale is. A lost sale is when a person pirates something they WOULD have bot since the company actually loses money. If the person never intended on buying it then there is no lost sale because the company literally cannot lose money from that. Besides that you ignored where I said you have probably pirated at least once in your life.
Sep 23, 2013 12:34 AM

Sep 2013
Thanks newsWatch9 for providing an argument stance, It's more fun than all of us agreeing on the same thing :).
Sep 23, 2013 12:39 AM

Sep 2013
jal90 said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:

Yeah, I know, but look, one attitude allows me to watch what I want and the other limits me to the decisions of other people (I probably haven't emphasized enough on how my favorite series is not licensed in my country), as well as the known economical investment.

Of course I'll choose the "illegal" pathway.

I don't love the industry, by the way. I love anime, which has values beyond their economical. Therefore why I don't need to "pretend" to love anything.

I do not like the industry either, quite greedy and the only thing they seem to be after is money BUT they are the only we can sort of regulate the distribution with. If we buy their products, they'd love to wipe our asses with more shows!

Still, they are the reason why I can't watch (or a lot later) most of the shows I wanted this year and last year. I hate them for that, on the other hand, we can't blame them since we continue to steal everything and as soon as they try and release something the sales just don't look as good because (well obviously) no one is interested in stuff they've already seen and people will not buy. <--convenient excuse to not buy: "meh wasn't even that good, I've already seen it anyways"

This mindset is what pisses me off the most!
Internet-piracy is the cancer of Anime, leechers need to get caught and die out!
Sep 23, 2013 12:42 AM

Sep 2013
newsWatch9 said:

This mindset is what pisses me off the most!

And here I thought you liked our cheerful personality.
Sep 23, 2013 12:45 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:

Which is why so many people immediately gang up against anything and anyone trying pop the excuses-bubble they work after.

No, its just that we know what bullshit its. Try to ACTUALLY defend your views instead of attacking everybody else's views. I already proved that you were wrong about piracy effecting the companies anyway.

You have proven NOTHING, just because you wouldn't have bought it in the first place doesn't mean it isn't a "lost sale".

Yet again you haven't defended your views. Plus you don't know what a lost sale is. A lost sale is when a person pirates something they WOULD have bot since the company actually loses money. If the person never intended on buying it then there is no lost sale because the company literally cannot lose money from that. Besides that you ignored where I said you have probably pirated at least once in your life.

Alright, I've heard your bullshit argument a lot lately and NO we cannot know when a sale is lost.

Imagine a world without internet-piracy, now IF a person wanted to watch a show, he'd have to buy it or use (pay, maybe, on->)crunchyroll.

If this person was interested enough to watch the show but not pay for it (which is the mindest you're coming from), then either he'll lose interest after some time or will, eventually, buy it. We don't know if you'd eventually want it so much to pay for it if you can just go ahead and pirate it because obviously, you seem interested enough to watch it no problem.
Sep 23, 2013 12:46 AM

Sep 2013
Last thing before signing off.
This whole time I spent on this thread I downloaded 145 episodes of One Piece and 20 ''12 episodes'' shows.
Pirating good. Copyright bad.
Sep 23, 2013 12:48 AM

Sep 2013
natsucule said:
Last thing before signing off.
This whole time I spent on this thread I downloaded 145 episodes of One Piece and 20 ''12 episodes'' shows.
Pirating good. Copyright bad.

aw man, congratulations dumbass, you really told me!
*slowclap*
Sep 23, 2013 12:51 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:

Alright, I've heard your bullshit argument a lot lately and NO we cannot know when a sale is lost.

Imagine a world without internet-piracy, now IF a person wanted to watch a show, he'd have to buy it or use (pay, maybe, on->)crunchyroll.

If this person was interested enough to watch the show but not pay for it (which is the mindest you're coming from), then either he'll lose interest after some time or will, eventually, buy it. We don't know if you'd eventually want it so much to pay for it if you can just go ahead and pirate it because obviously, you seem interested enough to watch it no problem.

If piracy was completely eradicated in the world I still wouldn't buy shit. Also you are once again wrong. I already told you what a lost sale and what I said is actually fact. There literally is no lost sale if a person with no intention of buying something pirated since the company would not have gotten that money in any form. Also from your other post you don't know what stealing is.
Sep 23, 2013 12:51 AM

Sep 2013
newsWatch9 said:

aw man, congratulations!
*slowclap*

Thank you,thank you. you far too kind.
Sep 23, 2013 12:53 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:

If piracy was completely eradicated in the world I still wouldn't buy shit. Also you are once again wrong. I already told you what a lost sale and what I said is actually fact. There literally is no lost sale if a person with no intention of buying something pirated since the company would not have gotten that money in any form. Also from your other post you don't know what stealing is.

Are you actually retarded?
I just told you WE DO NOT KNOW WHETHER YOU WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT OR NOT IF YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY INTERESTED ENOUGH TO WATCH IT!

You must be like, 10!
Sep 23, 2013 1:00 AM
Nov 2009
newsWatch9 said:
just because you wouldn't have bought it in the first place doesn't mean it isn't a "lost sale".

newsWatch9 said:
NO we cannot know when a sale is lost.

This is fun.
Sep 23, 2013 1:01 AM

Sep 2013
elevenletters said:
newsWatch9 said:
just because you wouldn't have bought it in the first place doesn't mean it isn't a "lost sale".

newsWatch9 said:
NO we cannot know when a sale is lost.

This is fun.

right? it's like politics minus the...politics.
Sep 23, 2013 1:02 AM

Jun 2013
newsWatch9 said:

the only thing they seem to be after is money BUT they are the only we can sort of regulate the distribution with.
I would reply to this if I could comprehend what you'r trying to say.

newsWatch9 said:

Still, they are the reason why I can't watch (or a lot later) most of the shows I wanted this year and last year.
Please elaborate on this, who are they?

newsWatch9 said:
on the other hand, we can't blame them since we continue to steal everything and as soon as they try and release something the sales just don't look as good because (well obviously) no one is interested in stuff they've already seen and people will not buy.
You conveniently choose to ignore the people in this thread (and every other thread like it) who clearly say they purchase the bd's once they've found a show they enjoy. You also fail to understand the anime industry never has and never will rely on any sales outside of Japan.
Sep 23, 2013 1:02 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:

I just told you WE DO NOT KNOW WHETHER YOU WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT OR NOT IF YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY INTERESTED ENOUGH TO WATCH IT!

You must be like, 10!

This is funny. You really need to learn how to debate/argue. Anyway I just told you what a lost sale is. Not my fault that you're ignoring it.
Sep 23, 2013 1:07 AM

Mar 2012
I did watch that video and I agree with Arkada, but I also disagree with him on one point. Illegal streaming is probably more beneficial to the anime industry than a harm. While there are legal alternatives to watching anime, that's really only beneficial to those in North America since Crunchyroll is region locked.

I also disagreed with him on his fact that "anime isn't expensive." Not necessarily true. SOME anime isn't expensive. Anyone who wants to go out and buy the Fate/Zero box set knows what I'm talking about. Sometimes, we don't have $400 just to throw around on one box set. Sure, it's inexpensive to WATCH anime, but it's pretty expensive to buy.

Of course, $40-70 for a box set isn't too bad since you can get most American TV show box sets for that price, but once it starts getting up to around $100+, it becomes a pretty expensive hobby, ESPECIALLY if you watch a lot of anime.
Sep 23, 2013 1:15 AM

Sep 2013
fackifiknow said:
newsWatch9 said:

the only thing they seem to be after is money BUT they are the only we can sort of regulate the distribution with.
I would reply to this if I could comprehend what you'r trying to say.

newsWatch9 said:

Still, they are the reason why I can't watch (or a lot later) most of the shows I wanted this year and last year.
Please elaborate on this, who are they?

newsWatch9 said:
on the other hand, we can't blame them since we continue to steal everything and as soon as they try and release something the sales just don't look as good because (well obviously) no one is interested in stuff they've already seen and people will not buy.
You conveniently choose to ignore the people in this thread (and every other thread like it) who clearly say they purchase the bd's once they've found a show they enjoy. You also fail to understand the anime industry never has and never will rely on any sales outside of Japan.

>If we'd buy what we are watching (not just what we eventually, after sucking down 100s of 7's, 8's and 9's that just weren't good enough or had no money :'(, find to be lol "enjoyable" to pay for) *they* are gonna love to pay for the licensing of new shows and distribute them around the world!

>you don't know *them* because you pirate too much.

• AnimEigo
  • Funimation Entertainment
  • Kadokawa Pictures
  • Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
  • Viz Media

...to only name a few!

>And what kind of criteria are we going after in deciding whether a series is "enjoyable enough" for the money, is it our own bank account at the moment? This makes it way too easy to say "Oh I don't have enough money so I'm not gonna buy even though it's really good and I loved it" "meh, I'll buy it later" (spoilers: they never do)

There's people putting actual work into these shows and want to get the most out of it, you are not entitled to watch it for free and then conveniently decide to buy or not to buy. That's ridiculous!
Sep 23, 2013 1:17 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
jal90 said:

You must be like, 10!

This is funny. You really need to learn how to debate/argue. Anyway I just told you what a lost sale is. Not my fault that you're ignoring it.

Arguing with you is worse than talking to an autistic brick wall!
Sep 23, 2013 1:20 AM

Sep 2013
Toucanbird said:
I did watch that video and I agree with Arkada, but I also disagree with him on one point. Illegal streaming is probably more beneficial to the anime industry than a harm. While there are legal alternatives to watching anime, that's really only beneficial to those in North America since Crunchyroll is region locked.

I also disagreed with him on his fact that "anime isn't expensive." Not necessarily true. SOME anime isn't expensive. Anyone who wants to go out and buy the Fate/Zero box set knows what I'm talking about. Sometimes, we don't have $400 just to throw around on one box set. Sure, it's inexpensive to WATCH anime, but it's pretty expensive to buy.

Of course, $40-70 for a box set isn't too bad since you can get most American TV show box sets for that price, but once it starts getting up to around $100+, it becomes a pretty expensive hobby, ESPECIALLY if you watch a lot of anime.

Then save up and adjust your viewing habits, it's like that with any other hobby in this world jeez!

If you can't afford it, slow down. I am forced do that a lot!
Sep 23, 2013 1:23 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
]

You're really good with irony. You haven't even debated/argued at all since you have yet to defend anything you say.
Sep 23, 2013 1:28 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
]

You're really good with irony. You haven't even debated/argued at all since you have yet to defend anything you say.

Holy shit man, shut the fak up.
Sep 23, 2013 1:32 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
]

You really must be young. This was no challenge at all trying to debate with you. At least I defended my arguments unlike you. In fact, I never even insulted you like you have done with multiple people in this thread.
Sep 23, 2013 1:34 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
]

You really must be young. This was no challenge at all trying to debate with you. At least I defended my arguments unlike you. In fact, I never even insulted you like you have done with multiple people in this thread.

Yes.
Telling you the same damn thing over and over and over and over again really is tiring!
Sep 23, 2013 1:41 AM

Sep 2009
newsWatch9 said:

You realize Japan doesn't give a flying fuck about people like you right? The money generated by oversea fans is abyssal. That is why pirating is so heavy overseas, they don't give a shit since the majority of revenue is from the Japanese audience, not you. You wanna pay for every miniscule thing you come across? Fine by me. Even if I had a steady income I wouldn't want to pay for every trivial thing I come across, I'm just not that stupid. Not to mention the real money is in merchandise, not your silly little oversea DVD purchases.

You don't know the meaning of half the words and phrases you use, you contradict yourself upon using those words (even more hilarious), and you assume you're on some moral high ground because of.... a few microscopic transactions?, I don't even know. Clearly just arguing out of your ass.

I'll pay for CERTAIN things, things I like, once and when I have a steady income. If you think you are more knowledgeable, more passionate, or possess some sort of advance mastery then think again. I'd school you left, right, and center on any given day of the week. I'm not even that deep. I've seen people here on MAL that are 10x above my pay grade that you wouldn't even register as an annoyance. Don't go thinking because you solely pay for whatever tiny amount of Anime you've come across that you have some sort of hidden knowledge or special standing. You're just another scrub who believe one person can make a difference, and in the business sector at that.
Sep 23, 2013 1:54 AM

Sep 2013
LordLagann said:
newsWatch9 said:

You realize Japan doesn't give a flying fuck about people like you right? The money generated by oversea fans is abyssal. That is why pirating is so heavy overseas, they don't give a shit since the majority of revenue is from the Japanese audience, not you. You wanna pay for every miniscule thing you come across? Fine by me. Even if I had a steady income I wouldn't want to pay for every trivial thing I come across, I'm just not that stupid. Not to mention the real money is in merchandise, not your silly little oversea DVD purchases.

You don't know the meaning of half the words and phrases you use, you contradict yourself upon using those words (even more hilarious), and you assume you're on some moral high ground because of.... a few microscopic transactions?, I don't even know. Clearly just arguing out of your ass.

I'll pay for CERTAIN things, things I like, once and when I have a steady income. If you think you are more knowledgeable, more passionate, or possess some sort of advance mastery then think again. I'd school you left, right, and center on any given day of the week. I'm not even that deep. I've seen people here on MAL that are 10x above my pay grade that you wouldn't even register as an annoyance. Don't go thinking because you solely pay for whatever tiny amount of Anime you've come across that you have some sort of hidden knowledge or special standing. You're just another scrub who believe one person can make a difference, and in the business sector at that.

Shut the hell up, pirating is as big as we have it now because distrubution is terrible and WHY is distribution terrible?
Because the disrespectful community outside of japan LIKE YOU doesn't give a fuck and continues to steal all their work.

I'm not rich or have an all too steady income, but I don't feel the need to fak the people working for my favorite kind of entertainment in the a$$ like that, how disrespectful and selfish can you be??

Judging by the amount of piracy going on, they'd just love to give us everything if we'd all stop pirating because global sales would extremely spike all of a sudden.
Sep 23, 2013 2:02 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
]Yes.
Telling you the same damn thing over and over and over and over again really is tiring!

You haven't been telling me the same thing over and over again. I already proved you wrong about lost sales.

newsWatch9 said:
LordLagann said:
newsWatch9 said:

Shut the hell up, pirating is as big as we have it now because distrubution is terrible and WHY is distribution terrible?
Because the disrespectful community outside of japan LIKE YOU doesn't give a fuck and continues to steal all their work.

I'm not rich or have an all too steady income, but I don't feel the need to fak the people working for my favorite kind of entertainment in the a$$ like that, how disrespectful and selfish can you be??

Judging by the amount of piracy going on, they'd just love to give us everything if we'd all stop pirating because global sales would extremely spike all of a sudden.

You are so incredibly ignorant that its hilariously unbelievable.

1) Distribution is only terrible because of the companies not wanting to release worldwide.

2) For fucks sake, piracy is not theft. You have to actually TAKE something in order for it to be theft. All piracy does is make a copy.

3) This was the worst part of your post. You know what would actually happen if everybody stopped pirating? It would just mean nobody watches anime anymore since most people wouldn't have bought the product in the first place.
Sep 23, 2013 2:11 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
]Yes.

You haven't been telling me the same thing over and over again. I already proved you wrong about lost sales.

newsWatch9 said:
LordLagann said:
newsWatch9 said:

You are so incredibly ignorant that its hilariously unbelievable.

1) Distribution is only terrible because of the companies not wanting to release worldwide.

2) For fucks sake, piracy is not theft. You have to actually TAKE something in order for it to be theft. All piracy does is make a copy.

3) This was the worst part of your post. You know what would actually happen if everybody stopped pirating? It would just mean nobody watches anime anymore since most people wouldn't have bought the product in the first place.

1) Companies would love to but licensing is expensive and anime doesn't sell very well (LOLPIRACY)

2)For fucks sake, let's all just make tons of copies of a show on dvd and send it to people for free, PIRACY IS STEALING! DISTRIBUTION OF COPYRIGHTED CONTENT WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL. PIRACY IS THE WORD GENERALLY USED FOR INTERNET STEALING!

You are taking something you'd otherwise have to pay for in order to own it! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULD NOT GET TO ENJOY/NOT ENJOY IT

3)We do not know what people would buy if they did not have the option to get it free off the internet! (LOLPIRACY)
Sep 23, 2013 2:14 AM

Mar 2012
newsWatch9 said:
Toucanbird said:

Then save up and adjust your viewing habits, it's like that with any other hobby in this world jeez!

You're being ridiculous. You do realize not everyone has the best source of income and sometimes "saving up" isn't always an option, right? For the record, I do buy anime DVDs. I don't pull an Arkada where I buy everything I watch because if I did that, I'd be in debt up to my eyebrows. I also don't want to buy "everything I watch" because I'll admit, I do occasionally see a terrible/disappointing show. I do believe in supporting the industry, but why would I buy an inferior product? If I went by your logic, I should go out and buy every box set of every TV show I've ever seen because that's how I would "support the industry." Nobody does that. I'm already swamped with a ton of student loan debt, rent, car loans, and other miscellaneous expenses and I don't have the most income coming in right now.

You've got a very jaded view on how anime fans should act. It doesn't matter if anime streams are legal or illegal. The fact of the matter is, streams create outside exposure to a niche industry. Buying everything you watch is preposterous. While I do believe in supporting the industry, why would you support a company that produced a piece of trash? If you buy the anime you liked, then great, but why would you buy the anime you didn't like? Again, I do believe in supporting the industry, but you shouldn't feel obligated to buy an inferior product because of those beliefs.
Sep 23, 2013 2:16 AM

Jun 2013
newsWatch9 said:
what kind of criteria are we going after in deciding whether a series is "enjoyable enough" for the money
That's a question that every consumer must ask when they consider making a purchase, and it varies depending on the product and the person contemplating the purchase.

newsWatch9 said:
There's people putting actual work into these shows and want to get the most out of it,
The worth of a show is not up to the producer, it's up to the consumer.

newsWatch9 said:
you are not entitled to watch it for free and then conveniently decide to buy or not to buy. That's ridiculous!
You're right. Not that you've actually made a point, but because you don't understand what the term entitled means. A quick skim of this thread would make it clear that people don't perceive pirated media to be right they may claim as they wish.

You're damn right i'm going to watch something before I choose to buy it, simply because in this instance (anime&manga) I don't understand Japanese. Considering shows air in their native language and without english subtitles I'm left with few practical options, I sure a fuck will not wait for a show to be released on dvd/bd and take a $50 stab in the dark based on a synopsis and some cover art.
Sep 23, 2013 2:19 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
]

1) Companies would love to but licensing is expensive and anime doesn't sell very well (LOLPIRACY)

2)For fucks sake, let's all just make tons of copies of a show on dvd and send it to people for free, PIRACY IS STEALING! DISTRIBUTION OF COPYRIGHTED CONTENT WITHOUT THE PERMISSION OF THE OWNER IS ILLEGAL. PIRACY IS THE WORD GENERALLY USED FOR INTERNET STEALING!

You are taking something you'd otherwise have to pay for in order to own it! IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULD NOT GET TO ENJOY/NOT ENJOY IT

3)We do not know what people would buy if they did not have the option to get it free off the internet! (LOLPIRACY)

1) Anime doesn't sell very well? Maybe you mean compared to how many people are pirates but anime does actually sale.

2) Piracy is copying simple as that. Theft/stealing literally mean TAKING something. While piracy actually makes a COPY of the product. So piracy is only used for internet copying. Besides the "logic" you've been using would actually hurt companies more. "if you're not interested in a show then don't buy it" would actually hurt the industry since nobody would be watching anime. Piracy is what has made anime so popular. There is no denying that. Piracy has even made companies license certain series.

3) We actually would know since most people who pirate wouldn't buy the product in the first place. We already went over this when it was revealed you don't know what a lost sale is.
Sep 23, 2013 2:21 AM

Sep 2013
Toucanbird said:
newsWatch9 said:
Toucanbird said:

You're being ridiculous. You do realize not everyone has the best source of income and sometimes "saving up" isn't always an option, right? For the record, I do buy anime DVDs. I don't pull an Arkada where I buy everything I watch because if I did that, I'd be in debt up to my eyebrows. I also don't want to buy "everything I watch" because I'll admit, I do occasionally see a terrible/disappointing show. I do believe in supporting the industry, but why would I buy an inferior product? If I went by your logic, I should go out and buy every box set of every TV show I've ever seen because that's how I would "support the industry." Nobody does that. I'm already swamped with a ton of student loan debt, rent, car loans, and other miscellaneous expenses and I don't have the most income coming in right now.

You've got a very jaded view on how anime fans should act. It doesn't matter if anime streams are legal or illegal. The fact of the matter is, streams create outside exposure to a niche industry. Buying everything you watch is preposterous. While I do believe in supporting the industry, why would you support a company that produced a piece of trash? If you buy the anime you liked, then great, but why would you buy the anime you didn't like? Again, I do believe in supporting the industry, but you shouldn't feel obligated to buy an inferior product because of those beliefs.

Oh that one's easy; I DON'T

I don't buy everything, I don't watch everything. I'd look for a show I feel confident enough to pay some money for, wait for release and/or import/buy the DVD right away and watch. If it's disappointing, fine I won't buy the next one or wait for reviews.

I'm not sitting on my kings throne, entitled to watch everything and give it a thumbs up/ thumbs down after. I don't have much income, I can barely afford 2 $30-$40 boxes every month and adjust my viewing habits according to the money I have.
Sep 23, 2013 2:27 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
2) Piracy is copying simple as that. Theft/stealing literally mean TAKING something. While piracy actually makes a COPY of the product. So piracy is only used for internet copying. Besides the "logic" you've been using would actually hurt companies more. "if you're not interested in a show then don't buy it" would actually hurt the industry since nobody would be watching anime. Piracy is what has made anime so popular. There is no denying that. Piracy has even made companies license certain series.

Jesus fakkn christ man, if you pirate something that means you don't need it anymore dropping its personal value for YOU immensely making it much less likely for YOU to buy it even if YOU liked it.
Sep 23, 2013 2:27 AM

Feb 2013
I could care less the negative opinions of "pirating" and "streaming". Both have added a great quality to my life that normally wouldn't be there because of how much money I lack in my pocket book. I have been able to keep my normally depressed mind in a much better state of mind by having something to do ALWAYS (watching anime).

Also, pirating is a good way of promoting something that most people NORMALLY wouldn't buy or even attempt to watch, I can remember countless times of STUMBLING into an anime through a torrent or streaming site, and then being like "oh well" *download* and then I sat through the entire thing, only to later buy some merchandise of that series because it quickly became my favorite.

It has it's pro's and con's, but I've been a pirate since age 12, and will always be a pirate.
Sep 23, 2013 2:31 AM

Apr 2012
What a crazy little schizo we have in this thread.
Sep 23, 2013 2:32 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Jesus fakkn christ man, if you pirate something that means you don't need it anymore dropping its personal value for YOU immensely making it much less likely for YOU to buy it even if YOU liked it.

You're just so damn ignorant. You seriously think people do not rewatch series? Also I love how you ignored the rest of my post and that your own fail "logic" would actually hurt the industry.
Sep 23, 2013 2:35 AM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

You're just so damn ignorant. You seriously think people do not rewatch series? Also I love how you ignored the rest of my post and that your own fail "logic" would actually hurt the industry.

Well as far as I can tell now we'd be left with all the honest people we have right now plus some extra that converted over from piracy, there rest wasn't contributing much anyway other than some "fame" so; nothing of value lost.
Sep 23, 2013 2:38 AM

Mar 2012
newsWatch9 said:
Toucanbird said:
newsWatch9 said:
Toucanbird said:

I don't buy everything, I don't watch everything. I'd look for a show I feel confident enough to pay some money for, wait for release and/or import/buy the DVD right away and watch. If it's disappointing, fine I won't buy the next one or wait for reviews.

I'm not sitting on my kings throne, entitled to watch everything and give it a thumbs up/ thumbs down after. I don't have much income, I can barely afford 2 $30-$40 boxes every month and adjust my viewing habits according to the money I have.

So, you don't buy everything you watch, but you criticize other people when they do the same thing?

Your logic is actually more detrimental to the industry than helpful. For example, a lot of the anime that I do own now or planning on buying mostly came as a surprise. About 90% of my favorite anime came from recommendations of anime I never planned on watching before. For example, I didn't watch Angel Beats for the longest time because I thought the character designs were atrocious. However, after getting enough recommendations, I decided to give it a watch. It turned out to be one of my favorite anime ever made. I never would've considered buying it unless I saw it first to make sure it was good.

What about "surprisingly" good anime? I'm sure you've seen some anime you never expected to be good and it turned out great. Going by your logic, you'll never own those anime because you're "confident that it wouldn't be good."

The point I'm making is streaming is beneficial for consumers. I'd compare streaming anime to test driving a car before you buy it. 99% of the time when someone goes car shopping, they test drive the vehicle to make sure it's a good fit. Same goes for streaming anime. You're acting like watching streaming anime is a cardinal sin when it's probably a whole lot more beneficial to the industry than no streaming at all.
Sep 23, 2013 2:42 AM

Jun 2013
As I watch the hours tick by I find myself wondering... Don't you have school in the morning newswatch9?
Sep 23, 2013 2:53 AM

Feb 2013
fackifiknow said:
As I watch the hours tick by I find myself wondering... Don't you have school in the morning newswatch9?

lol.

On a side note: Why is everyone so heated about this subject? Isn't it a personal choice? kinda like if you decide that Santa exists for the sheer enjoyment of sliding down his backside through your chimney each Christmas? or that bunnies shit eggs on east, or that there is an all knowing man in the sky with dreadlocks and a spliff in hand? or maybe there were no dreadlocks and spliff... Idk, personal choices and opinions, everyone should just calm down...
Sep 23, 2013 3:01 AM

Jun 2013
Trebel said:
fackifiknow said:

lol.

On a side note: Why is everyone so heated about this subject? Isn't it a personal choice? kinda like if you decide that Santa exists for the sheer enjoyment of sliding down his backside through your chimney each Christmas? or that bunnies shit eggs on east, or that there is an all knowing man in the sky with dreadlocks and a spliff in hand? or maybe there were no dreadlocks and spliff... Idk, personal choices and opinions, everyone should just calm down...
It's a whiteknights moral obligation to put their finger in your face and tell you you're wrong and why their view is superior. It's all about the act of arguing rather than the result of understanding, If newswatch9 had any intention on proving his point he would have busted out some sales figures in his first post. ( Not that it'd have done any good, considering he was way off the mark to begin with)
Sep 23, 2013 3:02 AM

Aug 2007
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
newsWatch9 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Well as far as I can tell now we'd be left with all the honest people we have right now plus some extra that converted over from piracy, there rest wasn't contributing much anyway other than some "fame" so; nothing of value lost.

This is hillarious. I actually am loling. You seriously need to read everything that I have typed and what others have typed and try again some other time. Without piracy there would be no anime industry, as simple as that.
Sep 23, 2013 3:06 AM

May 2012
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=738019

Everything in that list (that isn't marked 'yet to watch') I have watched illegally and then purchased later. I can guarantee that if I hadn't watched them all first, the number of anime series I would have purchased would be 0. (The ones I haven't watched yet are either very highly regarded or I am quite confident I will enjoy.) Anime is not cheap, it's about ~$70 for a full length series boxset of a popular series and to spend that kind of money when you're not even sure you'll like what you see would be ridiculous. By pre-watching something before you buy it, even if it's not through legal means, you get to have your own copy of a series you love and the satisfaction of knowing you're supporting the industry.

Not to mention that plenty of well-recieved shows don't even have legal releases outside of Japan...
RaritySep 23, 2013 3:14 AM
Sep 23, 2013 3:07 AM

Feb 2013
fackifiknow said:
It's a whiteknights moral obligation to put their finger in your face and tell you you're wrong and why their view is superior. It's all about the act of arguing rather than the result of understanding, If newswatch9 had any intention on proving his point he would have busted out some sales figures in his first post. ( Not that it'd have done any good, considering he was way off the mark to begin with)

I feel like I already knew the answer but wanted to ask the question anyways. Honestly, I feel sorry for the "anti piracy" kiddos out there because I think they would have a lot better time with it all if they just clicked on that "download torrent" link to a show they couldn't see otherwise. Might relieve some stress, I know it does for me when I get that 16gb+ file downloaded after a few days of sitting there staring at my computer screen.

Maybe I should look up the forum rules about pirating before I'm so open about it, I got banned from a forum for just mentioning the fact that I pirated material before lol.

Rarity said:
http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=738019

Everything in that list I have watched illegally and then purchased later. I can guarantee that if I hadn't watched them all first, the number of anime series I would have purchased would be 0. Anime is not cheap, it's about ~$70 for a full length series boxset of a popular series and to spend that kind of money when you're not even sure you'll like what you see would be ridiculous. By pre-watching something before you buy it, even if it's not through legal means, you get to have your own copy of a series you love and the satisfaction of knowing you're supporting the industry.

Only 7- bucks?? Man I wish I lived where you lived, it would be like well close to 160 for a full length series around here. But I'm with you, I wouldn't have purchased anything anime-wise if I hadn't seen it first. It's not like buy a new release dvd fresh out of the theatre's that you KNOW is what you want to see just by looking at the ratings. Anime is touch-and-go for a lot of people and certain anime speaks to certain people on different levels so not everyone is gonna be happy with their purchase of "madoka magica" that looked so cool in the shop window but was totally not what you bargained for when it came down to watching it. (not hating on madoka magica by any means).
TrebelSep 23, 2013 3:12 AM
Sep 23, 2013 3:12 AM

Aug 2007
Trebel said:
fackifiknow said:

I feel like I already knew the answer but wanted to ask the question anyways. Honestly, I feel sorry for the "anti piracy" kiddos out there because I think they would have a lot better time with it all if they just clicked on that "download torrent" link to a show they couldn't see otherwise. Might relieve some stress, I know it does for me when I get that 16gb+ file downloaded after a few days of sitting there staring at my computer screen.

Maybe I should look up the forum rules about pirating before I'm so open about it, I got banned from a forum for just mentioning the fact that I pirated material before lol.

There are better people than newsWatch9 at debating their side. I wish one of them would actually come here. That sounds hilarious. What forum was it? That's a stupid reason to ban somebody.
Sep 23, 2013 3:13 AM

Sep 2013
Toucanbird said:
newsWatch9 said:
Toucanbird said:
newsWatch9 said:
Toucanbird said:

So, you don't buy everything you watch, but you criticize other people when they do the same thing?

Your logic is actually more detrimental to the industry than helpful. For example, a lot of the anime that I do own now or planning on buying mostly came as a surprise. About 90% of my favorite anime came from recommendations of anime I never planned on watching before. For example, I didn't watch Angel Beats for the longest time because I thought the character designs were atrocious. However, after getting enough recommendations, I decided to give it a watch. It turned out to be one of my favorite anime ever made. I never would've considered buying it unless I saw it first to make sure it was good.

What about "surprisingly" good anime? I'm sure you've seen some anime you never expected to be good and it turned out great. Going by your logic, you'll never own those anime because you're "confident that it wouldn't be good."

The point I'm making is streaming is beneficial for consumers. I'd compare streaming anime to test driving a car before you buy it. 99% of the time when someone goes car shopping, they test drive the vehicle to make sure it's a good fit. Same goes for streaming anime. You're acting like watching streaming anime is a cardinal sin when it's probably a whole lot more beneficial to the industry than no streaming at all.

I've never said anything about recommendations, OF COURSE I'd watch highly recommended stuff all I'm refusing is this general mentality to, test drive a car for a lifetime!
If you're going to entertain yourself, at least have the decency to pay for it in some way that's actually actively contributing, be it TV, Crunchyroll traffic or like a DVD. If you're uncertain about a series, watch trailers, read reviews or ask people who watched it already.

Look guys, I know this is a fakkn moral issue, I can't understand how people can literally gulp down hundreds of series and only pay for a very small % of those. Feels like a series has to be a 10/10 before people even consider paying IF they have the money and that's just unfair. (if they don't have money this excuse will just get conveniently ignored)
Sep 23, 2013 3:13 AM

Jun 2013
Trebel said:

Afaik you can talk about it, but don't link to torrent sites or illegal streams and the like, if you really must discuss those kind of specifics with someone you should do it via pm's.
Pages (25) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How come all anime girls cosplay as black cats and not orange cats?

Catalano - 9 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

» What ruins an anime?

RealClutch - 5 hours ago

26 by Otakupervert890 »»
7 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7416 by machy871 »»
15 minutes ago

» If there was an anime based off your whole life, How liked would the anime be ?

Thy-Veseveia - 4 hours ago

1 by Catalano »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you care more about Art or Entertainment?

zaganGao - Sep 27

37 by Catalano »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.