Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 6, 2016 10:10 AM

Sep 2014
It was a Nice Back story Episode. Little Kino was looking cute.
Mikoshiba-sanFeb 6, 2016 10:15 AM
May 25, 2016 4:10 PM

Feb 2013
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

1. Kino really is a girl.
2. Kino isn't really her name.
3. I would have thought she had the surgery considering ep2.
4. I am wondering if Hermes is all in her head. I started the show just accepting that machines can talk. Now I'm not so sure.
Oct 9, 2016 5:12 AM

Jun 2013
I did not expect any of this, but the quote about the birds from the first episode makes a lot more sense now. It's unfortunate that we didn't get to learn more about the original Kino.

The way our Kino took on the original's name reminds me of how some superheroes have multiple incarnations. (That's not to say she's a superhero.)

BurntJelly said:
4. I am wondering if Hermes is all in her head. I started the show just accepting that machines can talk. Now I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure either. There have been times where other people reacted when Hermes spoke, and where they didn't react.
Nov 18, 2016 1:24 AM

Dec 2013
Kino was so cute as a kid!

That town was really messed up. Wtf.
Dec 5, 2016 2:43 PM

Aug 2014
It was nice to see a backstory, but Kino's (previous Kino) decision was a bit stupid lol.
Feb 5, 2017 4:41 PM

Jan 2012
So she is a girl , and there's million of ways to avoid a knife attack
but nice some back info on kino

Apr 24, 2017 8:30 PM

Nov 2010
Wow, those were some mad mad people. kinda creepy tbh.

Good episode.
Jun 29, 2017 10:00 AM

Oct 2012
What a horrible country that force "adults" to become robots
Poor Kino :(
So she took his identity
It's final fantasy 7 all over again

This is not a beautiful world at all, it's horrible world
Rayl1ghtJun 29, 2017 10:04 AM
"Signature removed"
Jul 13, 2017 5:38 AM

Jun 2016
Very Walden Two, a story about free will in which the civilians only want what they have access to, that which they cannot obtain is removed completely from their desires.

Are these adults happy with such limited free will, forced to do what they hate but enjoying what they hate nonetheless from the lack of ability not to? Well... that's definitely a loaded question, the most I can say is that it seems monstrous from the outside at the very least. Do we need a deeper level of freedom to access true happiness, or can we be happy living like robots?

If you liked the subject matter of this episode I recommend Gunslinger Girl, a major theme of the anime is that very question.

This and the last episode of Kino were interesting, I loved the presentation at the end when og Kino's singing started to play. This is show is truly a beautiful melancholy.
Jul 28, 2017 1:38 PM

Nov 2016
The fact that Kino is a girl was the most shocking thing in this episode xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 13, 2017 2:20 AM

Jul 2015
Nice timing for Kino's backstory, wow, his country was fucked up.

I feel so bad for original Kino, he was a cool man.
Sep 1, 2017 10:10 AM
Jan 2012
The irony on this show is strong. The so-called adults are child-like, have poor judgement and apparently need the guidance of that inspector person. They were forced to grow up too soon and that was the result. Even as a 12 years old, Kino was more mature than then.

I found interesting how she didn't cry or freak out. If I am reading her personality right, I think she probably cried a fair bit after the dust settled and mostly because of the original Kino's death. Speaking of him, he was awesome.
Sep 1, 2017 10:14 AM
Jan 2012
Dr-Eyes said:
It was nice to see a backstory, but Kino's (previous Kino) decision was a bit stupid lol.
I don't think it was stupidity, but he could have pushed little Kino's father to the side, punched him or something else. Something that doesn't involve dying in the process. The original Kino seemed to be an empathetic person and an actual adult, unlike the residents of that country. Perhaps as empathetic as he was, he was also terrible at coming up with strategies.
Sep 15, 2017 9:07 AM

Sep 2015
While the last episode had a bit of darkness to it. And dealt with some heavy themes. It was also comparatively lighthearted throughout. For all the ruined lives there was a thread of humor that pervaded the little stories we saw. This episode was just really dark and made me very sad. I didn't imagine Kino would have a happy origin story. But this was just tragic. And I usually hate it when anime tries to garner sympathy through horrible parents. It's the oldest narrative trick in the book to make your protagonist abused or straight up orphaned. So the audience pities them.

But here it felt interesting and earned. It's not the beginning of the series and we've gotten used to every town having a gimmick. The gimmick of this town was REALLY dark and explained directly why her parents were so horrible. At the point they're willing to ram her through with a knife as defective goods. You're not even surprised, it seems like the logical turn. In what felt almost like a town attacking the ideals of communism. That working for the betterment of the state is all that matters. (Not saying that's how I feel in my political ideology. Just seemed to be what the episode was getting at.)

I think the most interesting thing about the episode to me. Was how necessary was Kino V1s sacrifice. I mean sure Kino V2 gets to lead a fuller life now and that's definitely a good thing. Preserving her innocent young life was definitely his main goal. But part of what drove him to interfere in the first place. Was feeling sad that Kino V2 wasn't going to get to have a full childhood. They're lobotomized when they turn a certain age. And while at least it was of her own volition. And based off choices she made. I don't think you can say Kino V2 is a kid anymore. Though they do still have their emotional little moments at big events in their journey. I guess what I'm getting at. Is anyway you slice it, Kino V2 was doomed to have her childhood cut short.
Sep 19, 2017 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
What a beautiful story! I get now what is this anime storyline about. It is certainly will start to interest me from me.
Nov 19, 2017 2:30 PM

Oct 2012
Really good origin story! As I said before those episodes where Kino is center of the story are great, those where she's just an observer sucks.
Have to say her city was pretty wacky.. to try to kill small girl like that.

Also, I thought before that all motorads usually talks and I would swear those slavers heard it talking before but... now I'm not so sure. To me Hermes seems more like the result of her trauma, her inner voice if you will.
Dec 21, 2017 12:52 AM
Dec 2017
merle_noir said:
It's a good thing Kino got out of that country. I was really shocked when her parents were standing there smiling as her dad held out the knife. o_o Kids are the property of their parents?! Unbelievable. I'm sure anyone who could consciously recognise how terrible it is would hate living in that country...

Poor [original] Kino. :\ It's kind of weird that Hermes can actually talk though. I wonder how that works. I'm looking forward to finding out what Kino's name is, too. I really loved this episode though; it's nice to have the background of our main character...

(Not mine)So I guess I will leave it at this one final note. The original name of Kino is Sakura and that's why she reacted so strongly to Sakura's name in Kind Country.
Dec 21, 2017 11:19 PM
Jun 2013
holy shit "kino" home town is horrible. Basically taking free will away and if you speak out your dead and everyone laughs. So far shes only been in 1 town that doesn't suck which was the cat ear dance place. I feel bad for the orginal kino and couldn't he just grab "kino" and run instead of ya know running in front of a knife. If people didn't react to hermes talking I would figure that hermes is just "kinos" way of dealing with the trama of kinos death and loneliness.
Aug 8, 2018 5:06 AM

Jul 2008
Well that was a screwed up place she came from, no wonder why she doesn't want to settle anywhere.
Apr 3, 2019 8:56 AM
Oct 2018
As a motorcycle person, i can't help but distracted by the bike stuff in this episode. That bike they chose for Hermes- the Brough Superior SS100 was like the Bugatti veyron of bikes in the 1920s and 30s- super-expensive, super-fast (by the day's standards), super-luxury, super-rare. Today they're like the ultimate "old rich guy's collector's bike", selling for a half-million or more (when one comes up for sale every few years). The thought of "some guy said it was junk, so I could just have it for free" is like the motorcycle version of "Some old lady was cleaning her basement, and found this painting by some guy named Michaelangelo- It had a scratched up frame, so she just gave it to me for free..." Just the casual way they handled it all was fucking hillarious.

Same with the idea that, at any time, in any place, you could go to the "parts store" and come out with a paper bag full of Brough Superior valves and head gaskets, like you'd go to a grocery store to buy corn flakes. (nit-picky, I know, but it was just funny)

I love the fact they chose the Brough- I guess the mangaka is into bikes maybe? idk. It's not like a HD or triumph or something you'd expect a non-bike-person to choose. But the way it was handled in this episode was so weird and off-hand and casual, it just made me laugh.
Apr 24, 2019 2:18 PM

Aug 2017
Another dark episode. In the land of adults children have their inner child extracted at the age of twelve to become adults. Interesting how stupid and unempathetic adult logic sounds. I was glad to see that Kino was able to escape. Well, this is how she met Hermes and became a traveler herself (just like the 'old' Kino). I am looking forward to the next episode!
May 17, 2019 7:21 PM

Jul 2016
Adult Kino.... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(
May 17, 2019 7:22 PM

Jul 2016
I actually teared up a bit for adult Kino, one of the saddest scenes I have ever witnessed in Anime.
May 17, 2019 7:23 PM

Jul 2016
Another great philosophical episode, and in here Kino actually looks like a girl. Good backstory for Kino and Hermes. Another 5/5 episode in my opinion.
Feb 23, 2020 5:53 PM
Sep 2019
This episode made me think of Orwell's 1984 and FGM. I never thought I would have commented this on an anime.
Mar 7, 2020 4:47 AM
Aug 2016
I feel sad for original Kino, he is about to leave the country and continue his travel. Despite his policy to stay for 3 days per country, he didnt lose his humanity. Kino as an adult, protected the girl, also perhaps he felt the responsibility of telling too much.

I have read the novel before watching the show, it gives me more impact then now. Though, I still feel bad for adult Kino, rip

Mar 20, 2020 3:26 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
So that was Kino's backstory with the first Kino and Hermès... really beautiful
Mar 28, 2020 3:02 PM

May 2017
Kyaa~~ she said , i wonder if she love that kino guy
Loli world is just a cute world full of cute meat

May 3, 2020 1:25 AM

Jun 2015
Societies like these DO actually exist within our current era. I've once seen a video of a child beheading on the Internet, it was some kind of sects of muslim/arab rituals. What shocked me about that video wasn't the beheading of the six year old girl itself, but the atmosphere of the event itself, people were actually happy and celebrating while watching the poor girl losing her head, the girl herself didn't even feel a threat from such an atmosphere.
That surreal feel of the video reminded me of this episode, a mixture between joy and brutality. It wasn't even a joy of revenge upon the child, nor a joy of a psychopass of inflicting a violence.
A sociopath might not feel guilt after doing something "wrong" such as inflicting suffering upon a human being, but knowing in the first place that they DID made the other suffer, on the other hand, hese societies believe that such a suffering is... okay. One can't even feel guilt if they think what they do is not something wrong in the first place, it is like killing a cow while having a happy conversation with the family. These people aren't even inherently brutal, they simpliy have different perspective from you and me about what makes a doing brutal.
Jun 26, 2020 3:01 AM

Jul 2016
Kino is a non-binary girl? That's cool.
Aug 27, 2020 4:29 PM

Sep 2014
Wow this was good. Didnt expect to get an origin story at this point
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 31, 2020 2:04 PM
Sep 2020
This episode hit pretty hard for me. I've always felt like I'm not mature enough, like a child in a teen's body. I don't know when I'll be an adult and when I'm still a child. I have a lot of growing to do, but I guess that could be said for everyone.

Also, the implications that Kino is trans or enby are really strong. In other episodes I think that they prefer to be called just "Kino", rejecting titles like "little boy" and "Missy".
Nov 8, 2020 4:47 AM

Jun 2010
Personally I'm not very excited to learn Kino's backstory as I don't find her to be a very interesting character. It may be deliberate she doesn't have a very strong presence to let the stories of the countries stand more on their own than through the lens of a stronger personality and/or it's appropriate in a series about perception and reaction to the world rather than action on it. That just leaves me not caring much to know where this traveler started out life, though.

There might be a more complex explanation for there being a backstory to a character who doesn't need one:

I'm aware Kino's Journey originated as a series of novels although I haven't read them. If this story is adapted from them, which is more likely than not, I think it lost something in the adaptation to animation. In a novel the fact that the "Kino" in this story is not the same character as in the others could easily be missed by the reader and may be impossible to tell depending on how its written. The reader would likely mistake the young girl as another one-shot character like the man from the telepathic country or the hermit scholar or anyone else and been completely shocked when "Kino" dies and the little girl escapes the country only to find out she was the main character of the series all along.

The misapprehension the reader is enticed into plays into the series' theme of how one reacts to the world but in animation it's obvious from the start that this is a flashback of the main character due to character design and voice-acting. I read some people were genuinely confused as to Kino's sex but I've always taken her for a girl so the grown man in this story is obviously not her even aside from the little girl having the same eyes and voice as the Kino from the other episodes.
Jan 30, 2021 7:16 AM

Mar 2010
This episode was sad. Rip original kino
Feb 5, 2021 11:56 PM
Feb 2020
Amazing episode, I feel this episode portrays why humans shouldn’t believe things blindly and we shouldn’t always conform to the ideas of the mass. But my favorite part has to be the poet and the lore about him, I just really felt the emotion and the pain felt by the man, and the people.
Mar 12, 2021 9:39 AM

Jul 2020
And that’s how the story began! Pretty cool one too. Didn’t know Kino was a girl though 0_0
Apr 25, 2021 6:18 PM

Dec 2020
Nice metaphor with some real life societies. The concept of being an "adult" is nothing more than a set of behaviours fabricated by governments and powers in order to control people, no matter how deranged and insane those behaviours might be. Someone who doesn't do what they tell them will never be considered an adult.

Also, i don't think her original name even matters, and it was a good choice to not having it mentioned at all. It was given to her from the society which wanted to strip her of her own identity. It's a name which symbolize the person that fucked up country wanted her to be. To make an analogy with the Matrix movie, the main character calls himself Neo because he wants to chose his own identity instead of the name Anderson he was given by the matrix.
Lux_VacuiApr 25, 2021 6:29 PM
Feb 3, 2022 7:00 AM

Dec 2018
lol the adults were all dumb because they were most, if not all children with adult like robot bodies
Mar 10, 2022 8:12 AM

Jun 2020
kino trans icon. changed their name and everything
Apr 23, 2022 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
So Kino turns out to be a reverse trap, huh? xD
But dayum, she could have developed into a quite magnificent young lady as a girly girl

Very interesting concepts again. For some reason, it feels like the countries are doing extreme exaggerations of concepts and twist those, in this case what it means to be an adult. True, you can do jobs even when you don't like those, but that's not a sign of being an adult, but rather of a personal choice or rather: lack of a choice

Children being the property of their adults is taking the abortion debate to an extreme. Reminds me on some reason thread in CD, lol

Anyway, what are the red flowers called? Seems like it was a hint to Kino's original name
Apr 24, 2022 10:19 AM

Feb 2021
3 mediocre episodes and we finally get one that's actually great. Kino's backstory was awesome and it's nice to see how she (I guess?) succeeds her predecessor
Apr 24, 2022 10:21 AM

Feb 2021
Also totally shocked when the parents literally tried to stab Kino, my god that was sinister
Aug 4, 2022 5:42 PM
Sep 2013
In this country of heroin, it's not that children were the property of their parents, it was that everyone was the property of the city, the city reprogrammed everyone from childhood to think in one way, that is, their individual freedoms were stolen and everyone who thought differently was eliminated.
Kino (Original) is kind of stupid to put himself in front of the knife instead of trying to stop it normally.
An intriguing thing is how Hermes was “conceived”, does the bike really speak or is it all the brainchild of Kino?

PT-BR

Nesse país da heroína, não é que as crianças eram propriedade dos pais, era que todo mundo era propriedade da cidade, a cidade reprogramou todo mundo desde criança para pensar de um jeito, ou seja suas liberdades individuais foram roubadas e todo mundo que pensava diferente era eliminado.
Meio burro o Kino(Original) se colocar na frente da faca na vez de tentar para-la normalmente.
Uma coisa intrigante é como Hermes foi “concebido”, a moto fala mesmo ou é tudo fruto da cabeça da Kino?
Sep 4, 2022 8:20 AM

Sep 2017
Kino's a girl now.

Well, her country is pretty shitty damn. RIP OG Kino traveller, who gave his life to save a girl.

Dunno if hermes is an auditory hallucination or real.

That country was messed up. her parents too messed up.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Nov 29, 2022 9:17 PM

Feb 2016
What a fucked up country

This anime never ceases to impress me, amazing episode
Dec 19, 2022 3:18 AM
Apr 2021
So Kino is a girl who adopted the life of the man Kino? Well, this is at least getting interesting. I like how this episode portrayed tradition and culture like the episode before this but looked at it from a different viewpoint. Its more about everyone having to do "something" and for someone to oppose this idea is just seen as wrong, potentially because going through this "something" is actually awful and the people of the town keep this status quo because they are mad that they had to go through this something, therefore everyone should because "fairness". Rather than finding out if it was even a good idea in the first place. Nothing will ever get better in that town since this is how they operate. Also, it's nice to finally get a greater understanding of Kinos (the girl) mindset when it comes to not interfering with other people's way of living.
Bror11Dec 19, 2022 3:30 AM
Feb 17, 2023 7:50 PM
Feb 2023
uhhhh the ending :0
Apr 12, 2023 3:20 PM
Dec 2022
best episode yet! What a fitting backstory for a character like kino
Apr 13, 2023 6:16 AM
Apr 2018
That was a fucked up country to grow up in. Kino's escape has been so far the sole positive development in this series. Not that I will be quitting this show any time soon, though.
Apr 16, 2023 10:44 PM
Mar 2023
Masterpiece, amazing history
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kotori - Apr 15, 2008

183 by RIRafi »»
Sep 21, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 9, 2008

124 by jilebi_james23 »»
Sep 2, 12:54 PM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 8, 2008

124 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 29, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Jul 29, 2008

198 by jilebi_james23 »»
Aug 29, 2:55 AM

Poll: » Kino's Journey Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jul 14, 2008

100 by Explosion_Bread »»
Aug 5, 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.