Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Aug 14, 2011 8:35 PM

Aug 2010
Anime tends to be mostly still frames with moving mouths and often action footage is reused. Your frequent example gundam is a huge offender of that. Shit like that wouldn't pass quite as easily in a live action series. And that isn't a fault of just old anime. Star Driver used the exact same footage every episode just this past year. Not many series are that well animated, few anime have the animation that can rival the action scenes that can be done with live action.

I find action scenes from anime to be much more entertaining then the ones from live action.

This thread is pretty much pointless. I think live-actions and anime are too different. this thread is pretty much biased. I for one prefer anime.
Aug 14, 2011 9:11 PM

Sep 2008
Armiga21 said:
That's got a lot of hyperbole dripping from it. I suppose another good thing to point out was DBZ has 'things to get done' to begin with. No matter what beef you want to throw at DBZ, it actually does have a plot with each episode picking up where the last left off. Raditz lands on Earth, confronts Goku, kidnaps Gohan, fights Goku and Piccolo, Goku dies, everyone trains, etc.

Sure, I exaggerated the slowness a bit, I admit that, but not that much. Seriously, it took a whole season just to beat Freeza. They were pretty much just standing at the same spot staring at each other all the time, sometimes trading a blow or two; all while the planet apparently will explode in 5 minutes, something that still hasn't happened 7 episodes later.

Basically, the story progression is extremely slow, with several episodes that could pretty much be completely left out without affecting the plot much at all.

Armiga21 said:
Supernatural as well.. six season now? I remember the creator only wanted a few, but then contrived reasons kept coming up, and even after they accomplished their goal, they suddenly have new goals.

I do agree with you that one of the things I like about anime is that lots of shows actually end after 13-26 episodes, that's a huge plus, but it kinda feels like DBZ fits in with the pattern you're pointing out here perfectly. I mean, villian shows up, then they beat him up, and then a new villian shows up, and repeat. If there was some kind of overall plot except for this I didn't notice it.

But yeah, I have to agree with you in general, I don't really watch that many American TV-shows anymore, but on the basis of the ones I have seen my experiences seem to agree with many of your points. But then agian, with my rather limited experience maybe I shouldn't really say that. =/
Aug 14, 2011 9:29 PM

May 2011
i prefer anime. live action isnt too bad, but i never see any worthwhile plot coming out of most of em. i do see it in a few, cant name em off the top of my head, but i see it far more often in anime
Aug 15, 2011 12:08 AM

May 2009
Because it's clear it's a budget limitation than some creative vision.

I disagree, look at his other works and you will see his works are rarely defined by the genre and characters are the most important aspect.

I already said I've seen those episode, but you seem insistent the only way someone wouldn't like it is if they didn't see them. I had to look up what those episode were since I don't remember the names off hand, but I don't see how the ones with that bounty hunter or the female assassin were very sci-fi-y.

This has nothing to do with you not liking the show, it has to do with you saying:

Firefly, for example, was pretty much a low-budget wild west show only they say they're in space, since all the fights were typical gun slinging cowboy fights (usually on a remote desert planet).

when the wild west part of the series is only part of it.

River is probably the most sci-fi thing about the show, but she's just like Buff in she punches and kung-fu's people, with some mind reading/procog powers. Her whole backstory and end fate isn't even bothered with until the movie.

It got canceled -_- and the start of her story is very much in the show.

and remember, the Reavers are just men gone mad or whatever, not actual aliens or anything.

They were subjected to a chemical that was supposed to make the population docile but had the opposite effect on them making them go essentially mad. If it's not science fiction then what is it? Seems like fictional science to me.

AND HEY HEY LOOK AT ME!!!! IT'S NOT JUST A SCI-FI AND HAS TO DO EVERYTHING ABOUT SCIENCE FICTION TROPES. IT CAN HAVE MORE THAN THAT.

Cowboy Bebop blends Western themes with sci-fi far better; or Samurai Champloo blending rap/R&B with samurai themes.

I think they do it as well as each other and i think you can't seen past your biased. What is overly sci-fi-y about Bebop so much more than Firefly? Again I think that it is just a part of the show that blends with all its other elements.

If you're comparing them to a show like Star Trek then yes, that is laughable. I don't see how you can say you don't know what Naruto's story is when it's pretty obvious and everything has been building up to it. Ever since Orochimaru invaded the Leaf Village during the Chunin exams and brough the Akatsuki into the storyline, everything has been building upon each event. They've been taking down the Akatsuki one by one, and now they're facing the final memeber, Madara, in his grand scheme and plan.

I'm saying that the ultimate goal of the series, getting to the grand line, is very much similar to the getting home story used by some sci-fi shows, while they just go around and help each island they arrive on using a very similar, if not exact same formula each time.

For Naruto, maybe it's just I blocked it out or that it got buried under all the filler and cliched nonsense.

Clear narrative each season is a bit iffy. There's tons of filler episodes there. That's mainly the problem with the US format. The season start and end might be connected, but the middle barely builds upon it usually (like Buffy), and yes, anime does tend to end after the first 26, and that's the main difference. Just how many narratives does Buffy have? Something new each season? Then there's no main narrative at all. Heck, after the show got cancelled, they tried to milk it again with some comic books.. they don't want to end it, because there's no real way to end it since there was never a main point to the show.

Actually in Buffy the main plot is generally well spread out through the season or focused in the last half, not just the end.
eg. season 2:
episode 3 - spike introduced
episode 6 and 7 - spike appears some more
episode 9 and 10 - Kendra introduced and show down between Spike and the scoobies.
episode 13 and 14 - Main villain of the season revealed.
episode 17 - someone dies.
episode 19 - Mainly unrelated but main plot gets connected to finish the story.
episode 21 and 22 - final.

Most of the other episodes are related to character events, though of course there are a few that could be considered pointless.
I can do other seasons if you like.

God if Buffy stopped at the first season we would have a cheesy 90's show that no one remembers with 1 or 2 impressive episodes and would have missed out on wildly acclaimed episodes like Hush, The Body and Once more with Feeling. It's connected by the characters because the main plot is that Buffy is a slayer, so this doesn't end until she dies. Not to sound all cliched and lame and all that but it's about the journey not the destination.
And Do i like the comics? No not really, just one arc and a one shot sort of thing i liked and now I don't read them. Buffy season 1-7 tells a complete story in itself so I don't need to continue to read them, it doesn't change the fact that i see it as one of the greatest shows in existence. Yes I think they should have stopped there but some may still argue that it is as good as ever and Buffy is still after all a slayer.

Complain about the filler in certain shows all you like, but why do you have to claim all real tv shows are inferior to anime (even anime that I see have the same "problems") because they don't have a narrative when they do? Or is it that you can't get past having more than one plot and it has to be straight forward, this is the goal, once it's achieved the story is done?
Can you even like one season of a show that is self contained mostly ignoring the rest?

Hell say you don't like character focused episodes and find them pointless, it's what I'm getting when you use most of the examples you do.

It gets to the point that when children anime that advertise toys, like Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh, end up having more plot and character development

its comments like that that leave people wondering if you have actually seen any of the shows you keep mentioning or if you are really just just saying shit to get a reaction. Not that I mind, arguing is fun.
Dark_PuddlesAug 15, 2011 12:22 AM
Aug 15, 2011 10:20 AM

Oct 2008
So uh, Dark_Puddles, did you read that thing I sent ya?
Aug 15, 2011 1:51 PM
Mar 2011
I don't really care if it's live or not. However, I haven't seen a live TV show that I consider better than the top 3 anime on my list. I like Castle (8/10), Rizzoli & Isles (7/10), Murder she Wrote (8.5/10), Flashforward (8/10), but I'e rated 9+ only anime. It seems that live TV shows are usually not deep enough or original.
Aug 15, 2011 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
Armiga21 said:

jpem said:
That would be false though. if you had said logh then maybe it would have worked, but not berserk. Me saying game of thrones and other series like it having more politics than gundam isn't. When it comes down to it those series are about over powered mechs defeating lesser mechs. They may be set in a more serious war setting but the plots are generally driven more by teen angst than politics.

Have you watched Gundam? I'm serious. Or I guess I should say which Gundams. If you've only seen G Gundam or SD Gundam, then I guess I could see how you might say it's just 'super powered mechs punching' and stuff, but just about any other Gundam (that focuses on a war) will play out both sides and do a very nice job analyzing the horrors of war. I think the most popular one in America was Wing, and that pretty much had a hero who was trained as a child soldier, forced to kill other children, what it means to be a pacifist when someone is shooting you and killing you, and all kinds of terrible things war can involve. Then you got plenty of others that focus on a smaller scale like 08 MS Team, which just focuses on how war is for an average soldier unit. Even with a single franchise like Gundam, you can't lump them all into the same category.

Star Driver is a good example, very over the top and awesome mech fights. It was fabulous. Not really set in space like Vandread, though.

Having a darker war themed setting isn't the same thing as a series with a lot of political intrigue. The plots in all the gundam series are rather simple and at times down right stupid in the case of a few series(SEED DESTINY, ZZ,etc). Don't get me wrong i like a few of the gundam series, ovas a lot but they aren't something i would consider to be shows with a lot of politics in them.
Aug 16, 2011 12:07 AM
Jun 2011
HydraA said:
Basically, the story progression is extremely slow, with several episodes that could pretty much be completely left out without affecting the plot much at all.

Slow story progression is still story progression; compared to a show like Star Trek where there is none, though.

I do agree with you that one of the things I like about anime is that lots of shows actually end after 13-26 episodes, that's a huge plus, but it kinda feels like DBZ fits in with the pattern you're pointing out here perfectly. I mean, villian shows up, then they beat him up, and then a new villian shows up, and repeat. If there was some kind of overall plot except for this I didn't notice it.

Well the Buu arc is the one that feels a bit disconnected from the previous three, which were pretty connected, but it still had a structure.. and DBZ is just one show, after all.

Dark_Puddles said:
I disagree, look at his other works and you will see his works are rarely defined by the genre and characters are the most important aspect.

Maybe we're having a miscommunication. I'm not referring to what the show is about (characters or space or whatever), just that it mimiced a more western setting than a sci-fi one with aliens and fantasy tech. They didn't wander futuristic towering cities in futuristic hover vehicles and such (well, I think they had a hover freight lift, but still) most of the places they went to were old run down wild-west style towns and junkheaps; at least until the movie.

They were subjected to a chemical that was supposed to make the population docile but had the opposite effect on them making them go essentially mad. If it's not science fiction then what is it? Seems like fictional science to me.

Well now that's just more semantics; yes, it's fictional science, but when people say sci-fi the general accepted term refers to things like Star Wars or Gundam or at least Alien.

I think they do it as well as each other and i think you can't seen past your biased. What is overly sci-fi-y about Bebop so much more than Firefly? Again I think that it is just a part of the show that blends with all its other elements.

Well, not every planet was a run down western town for one. It ranged from cities of various cultures and technology levels.. one episode they were fighting some death laser satellite, for example. Granted, Bebop was low-sci-fi compared to other shows, but the animated format let it go things Firefly could only dream of.

I'm saying that the ultimate goal of the series, getting to the grand line, is very much similar to the getting home story used by some sci-fi shows, while they just go around and help each island they arrive on using a very similar, if not exact same formula each time.

I'm not sure which show we're talking about now. The Star Trek I saw was just them on a ship with episodic adventures and no story at all aside from the rare 2-part episode. All I can think of that reminds me of 'space crew getting home' is that old Nickelodoen show Space Cases, and they never really did come close. "Finding One Piece" may be vague, but there's so many plot threads and future planning set up by Oda it's kind of insulting to say they're the same. I mean, that whale that they meet at Reverse Mountain and mentions his crew end up becoming a major plot point later on, and everything leads into the next stage of the story with the Shichibukai and World Government.

God if Buffy stopped at the first season we would have a cheesy 90's show that no one remembers with 1 or 2 impressive episodes and would have missed out on wildly acclaimed episodes like Hush, The Body and Once more with Feeling. It's connected by the characters because the main plot is that Buffy is a slayer, so this doesn't end until she dies. Not to sound all cliched and lame and all that but it's about the journey not the destination.

Buffy is cheesy, though.... and yeah the 'journey not the destination' is pretty over used, but that also implies there is a end destination to begin with. Buffy may have ended (though not conclusive enough if it can be revived, apparently) nor does that mean the entire show is about that final season's plotline. I love journeys, but only if they have a destination to reach. God knows I wouldn't want to still be reading Lord of the Rings about Frodo's Journey to Mount Doom, or have it be cancelled mid book because they wanted to stretch it out as much as they could, which is what happens with US shows.

Complain about the filler in certain shows all you like, but why do you have to claim all real tv shows are inferior to anime (even anime that I see have the same "problems") because they don't have a narrative when they do?

Or is it that you can't get past having more than one plot and it has to be straight forward, this is the goal, once it's achieved the story is done?

Because you twist my meaning of narrative to make it be about a non-narrative. And I really hope you don't mean 'more than one plot' as in each episode has it's own plot, because that's a real cop out answer. Let me turn this around then, why is it so rare for a US show to be made with an ending in mind? Can people not get past that stories end and can actually have endings here?

Can you even like one season of a show that is self contained mostly ignoring the rest?

Why should we settle for that when we can have the whole story? Is it really self contained? Most of the time I see that word used it's not. It's like comic fans who say I can jump in and read this random Batman arc because it's self contained... despite the fact I'm obviously not going to know the backstory and history to all those characters. I just find it amazing anime doesn't have that problem. "Oh, you can watch this season of <show> without seeing the previous ones" Well, why not just be like the typical book/movie/anime and start from the beginning and read to the end and get the whole complete, one story?

As for 'character focused episodes', which kind do we mean? The one where 'Character B learns about a flaw they never had before this episode, works on it then fixes the problem within 30 minutes then it's never mentioned again'? I don't consider those important episodes, those are typical filler ones. Typical Aesop of the Day tropes.

its comments like that that leave people wondering if you have actually seen any of the shows you keep mentioning or if you are really just just saying shit to get a reaction. Not that I mind, arguing is fun.

Of course I've seen them. It's easy to say Digimon Tamers has more of a story than Star Trek because it can't be disproven. It was made with a set number of episodes and then it ended once it got there. Done deal. Star Trek was entirely unrelated events one after another each episodes
Aug 16, 2011 3:28 AM

May 2009
Maybe we're having a miscommunication. I'm not referring to what the show is about (characters or space or whatever), just that it mimiced a more western setting than a sci-fi one with aliens and fantasy tech. They didn't wander futuristic towering cities in futuristic hover vehicles and such (well, I think they had a hover freight lift, but still) most of the places they went to were old run down wild-west style towns and junkheaps; at least until the movie.

I thought you were saying this was not a stylistic choice but just came from restraints which I disagreed with.

Well now that's just more semantics; yes, it's fictional science, but when people say sci-fi the general accepted term refers to things like Star Wars or Gundam or at least Alien.

So what do we call the shows like Firefly and Bebop that don't want to sit with the non sci fi shows but not do the whole alien and mecha thing?

Well, not every planet was a run down western town for one. It ranged from cities of various cultures and technology levels.. one episode they were fighting some death laser satellite, for example. Granted, Bebop was low-sci-fi compared to other shows, but the animated format let it go things Firefly could only dream of.

Not every planet was like that in Firefly either, there was those like Ariel and the planet in Trash and a lot of the time in the show was spent on the ship. And I'm not sure where these places were that Bebop went that Firefly never could.

I'm not sure which show we're talking about now. The Star Trek I saw was just them on a ship with episodic adventures and no story at all aside from the rare 2-part episode. All I can think of that reminds me of 'space crew getting home' is that old Nickelodoen show Space Cases, and they never really did come close. "Finding One Piece" may be vague, but there's so many plot threads and future planning set up by Oda it's kind of insulting to say they're the same. I mean, that whale that they meet at Reverse Mountain and mentions his crew end up becoming a major plot point later on, and everything leads into the next stage of the story with the Shichibukai and World Government.

That whale thing is hardly genius, he could easily bring back any number of plot points that would fit in perfectly with the series without any prior intention to do so. I don't buy the whole Oda is a master thing everyone else seems to buy into, he's probably just full of shit and even if he's not that hardly makes his work good. If you want to go down this route, Buffy had hints of Dawn arriving in season 5 as early as season 3 and a plot of Inara dying of an illness was already set up in Firefly that probably wouldn't have come up until quite later on.
I still just find it interesting those vague plot points between the series are fine for you to cling onto but characters are not.

Never watched Star Trek.

Buffy is cheesy, though.... and yeah the 'journey not the destination' is pretty over used, but that also implies there is a end destination to begin with. Buffy may have ended (though not conclusive enough if it can be revived, apparently) nor does that mean the entire show is about that final season's plotline. I love journeys, but only if they have a destination to reach. God knows I wouldn't want to still be reading Lord of the Rings about Frodo's Journey to Mount Doom, or have it be cancelled mid book because they wanted to stretch it out as much as they could, which is what happens with US shows.

Yes Buffy has its cheesy moments but a lot of it is intentional and there weren't many moments I thought it was over done, it's quite the feat when you can do a musical episode that people don't just want to forget about straight away as cheesy nonsense, but for it to stand as one of your most loved of all time,

Because you twist my meaning of narrative to make it be about a non-narrative. And I really hope you don't mean 'more than one plot' as in each episode has it's own plot, because that's a real cop out answer. Let me turn this around then, why is it so rare for a US show to be made with an ending in mind? Can people not get past that stories end and can actually have endings here?

Don't know, I wish they had an ending point in mind as well.
I took your meaning of narrative as arcs over a season which seemed to fit with the examples you were giving. Such as One Piece.

Why should we settle for that when we can have the whole story? Is it really self contained? Most of the time I see that word used it's not. It's like comic fans who say I can jump in and read this random Batman arc because it's self contained... despite the fact I'm obviously not going to know the backstory and history to all those characters.

Exactly. The characters are the thing that carries over and makes the series, not the random plot in that episode. It is a character connected narrative.

"Oh, you can watch this season of <show> without seeing the previous ones" Well, why not just be like the typical book/movie/anime and start from the beginning and read to the end and get the whole complete, one story?

Because as you said TV shows don't know when to end so you end up with pretty much different shows within the same series in the end when they change all the characters. Doesn't change what they were for when they were running their character arcs. And why would we want all stories to follow that exact formula, 90% of the episodes in my favourite shows are better than a lot of the whole 26 episodes of anime trying to tell a story that I have seen. Why would I take that averagely written plot with little character anything over the interesting seperate plots with great character arcs.

As for 'character focused episodes', which kind do we mean?

Using Buffy as the continous example, the episodes that deal with all the character relationships, things like the Zeppo that deal with Xanders insecurities that runs through to season 7, where Dawn develops hers. Faiths whole arc that runs across and goes on to Angel, before she comes back and even in the comic book (the one arc I actually like) it is still on going.
The likes of the Faith arc begun in season 3 as the main character plot along side the mayor accension plot and continued throughout the seasons.
You can even look at anything after the Body that focuses on Buffy and her insecurities in everything and her complete change in her outlook in life that only begins to resolve itself end of season 6 and throughout season 7.

So uh, Dark_Puddles, did you read that thing I sent ya?

Yeah I read through a bit of it and it seems to echo some of my exact thoughts on the use of characters and their role in shows that don't have a one main plot that runs through the whole thing.
Dark_PuddlesAug 16, 2011 3:51 AM
Aug 24, 2011 6:11 AM

Mar 2011
Probably Yes, TV show can compete with anime. But if one time, there are popular tv show and popular anime air in the same time, i will mostly watch anime
Aug 24, 2011 10:00 AM

Jul 2010
I think there are some pretty damn good tv shows out there that could rival some good animies. For example, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead for thrilling sensations, Entourage, How I met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory for comedy.
Aug 24, 2011 3:48 PM
Aug 2011
Hm...I do watch a lot of Tv shows (mostly British comedies like Black Adder,Only for Fools and Horses, The New Statesmen, Monty Python's Flying Circus and such) ...currently I'm watching The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother, but I could never compare them with anime because: 1. One is 2-D, the other 3-D;
2.Anime has a totally different kind of humor and the overall feel to it
and 3. some of the anime I watched I could never watch as a Tv show (mostly because of the character's expressions in anime which could never be fully conveyed in real life...for example Ouran (I watched the first 5 min of the drama and it was horrible))

In other words, anime is like a completely different world to me...I think I couldn't even compare a Tv show and anime even if they had the same content.
Aug 24, 2011 3:54 PM
Mar 2011
the Ouren Drama is very good Tamaki is funnier nn live action imo
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 24, 2011 3:57 PM

Jul 2011
I don't watch TV anymore, only soccer and news.

Anime 4 Life >
Aug 24, 2011 4:11 PM

Jul 2011
While I do enjoy watching some TV series like Bones, Dr. House, How I Met Your Mother and stuff like that I would change channel if there was a good anime on TV.
index.php
Finnaly got a host for my sig ._.
Oct 25, 2012 4:12 PM
Jul 2012
I barely even watch TV anymore, only watch it whenever the Jags / Heat are playing. That's pretty much it.

Most shit on TV nowadays is stupid and I find anime to be much more engaging and entertaining.
Oct 25, 2012 4:20 PM

Jan 2012
I enjoy seeing real people acting way better than I do just hearing people voice act and cartoons.
Sure anime can sometimes have a decent plot, but I just don't get the same feel with anime when I do while watching certain TV shows.

I've tried to watch live action. OMG. They can not act for the life of them o-o.
Oct 25, 2012 4:29 PM

Oct 2012
I hate rl shows, this thead deserves death
'Stay gold'
-Nenthus
Oct 25, 2012 9:10 PM
Oct 2012
see heres the thing i like anime cuz it is ANIME and u know i like the storylines,characters, and settings better but thats jst my opinion. i mean ive seen pretty good tv shows like the walking dead or house but they dont really grab my attention like anime does but thats jst me
Oct 25, 2012 9:21 PM

Nov 2010
While I watch alot of anime, there are still regular shows that I do watch like crime shows especially, because anime only really has detective conan which is pretty predictable. So I watch shows like Criminal minds, CSI new york, Bones, The Mentalist, and probably a couple others. Other than that I might possibly watch something while I pass through the living room while my family is watching tv.
Oct 25, 2012 9:29 PM

Jun 2012
My favourtie TV shows are Big Bang Theory and South Park. The latter especially con compete with the best comedy anime and then some.

Other shows I like such as Dexter can compete too imo. Though overall I watch far more anime than television. (These days at least). And the TV shows I do watch, I watch online. All I watch on my TV is sport.
Oct 25, 2012 9:32 PM

Feb 2011
You know what's good about anime ? You can make your characters do everything , i mean like special powers n shiz but in a real tv show it takes alot of struggle to make your character have powers , it needs alot of effects ... so yeah
Oct 25, 2012 9:36 PM

Nov 2011
ITT: Weaboos
The Art of Eight
Oct 25, 2012 9:44 PM

Oct 2009
I watch documentaries on TV. No, anime is not everything. Few shows that I liked for example Heroes, Sherlock Holmes, NCIS, Law and Order.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Oct 25, 2012 9:57 PM

Nov 2011
Game of Thrones is seriously better than 95% of anime I've seen. Anyway, here is a chart for those looking for good TV.

The Art of Eight
Oct 25, 2012 9:58 PM

May 2012
i like CSI... but i prefer anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2012 10:50 PM

Jul 2012
I like the tv series

1. Heroes
2. Invasion
3. Macgyver
4. gilligans island
5. star trek
6. revolution-still trying

why? did you get cancelled!
Oct 25, 2012 11:06 PM

Sep 2010
dankickyou said:
Game of Thrones is seriously better than 95% of anime I've seen. Anyway, here is a chart for those looking for good TV.

Anime fans fans here can consider 2005 to be ancient and that TV list recommends The Wonder Years, Twin Peaks, Twilight Zone and M.A.S.H...good luck with that.

Also, no True Blood = fail.

Oct 25, 2012 11:10 PM

Nov 2011
Anime_Name said:
dankickyou said:

Anime fans fans here can consider 2005 to be ancient and that TV list recommends The Wonder Years, Twin Peaks, Twilight Zone and M.A.S.H...good luck with that.

Eh True Blood is there, at the bottom left
The Art of Eight
Oct 25, 2012 11:11 PM

Nov 2010
dankickyou said:

While I'm glad that Pushing Daisies is in there, there is no Criminal minds that is no good.

And spoiler that.
Oct 25, 2012 11:18 PM

Apr 2011
Breaking bad is what I call a good series. If it was an anime it would've been 10/10 (lol)
Other than that I think Games of thrones and dexter needs mentioning.

The walking dead is garbage, don't know why I watched 2 season of it
Oct 25, 2012 11:21 PM

Aug 2012
Never found a really captivating real life tv show to be honest.
Oct 25, 2012 11:23 PM

Nov 2011
georgedavidlee said:
Never found a really captivating real life tv show to be honest.

Thats cause you have bad taste. :3
The Art of Eight
Oct 25, 2012 11:27 PM

Sep 2010
dankickyou said:
Anime_Name said:
dankickyou said:

Eh True Blood is there, at the bottom left

I see. That list no longer fails because of that.

Oct 26, 2012 12:38 AM

Oct 2012
Game of thrones (very true to the books)
Firefly
Big Bang theory

are my favorites but other than that anime is the only medium that has truly delivered story's that were unique and art that took risks.

Also the fact, someone had to draw every single frame that you see and admire that type of handiwork and dedication. I studied animation myself and I found a whole a new respect for animators. I just wish western animation studios would have the guts to do something remotely like anime. Too much flash and 3D and are animators are suffering for it working on children shows that will never get a recognition they deserve. ( MLP is popular...why?...because its very similar anime if you think about it) Even the art designs are more technically advanced then what you see in western animation....anyways I digress...anime has more quality shows I rather watch then real life tv shows...though the real life tv shows I like...are epic but not enough of them.
Oct 26, 2012 1:48 AM

Apr 2012
I haven't watched TV shows for like ~2 years probably. I just enjoy watching anime more.
Dies Irae! :)
Oct 26, 2012 2:24 AM
Apr 2012
There is some good TV shows like Californication, Dexter, Skins etc., but mainly anime is better.
Oct 26, 2012 2:34 AM

Jul 2012
i dont watch tv anymore but if its a documentary then yeah
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Oct 26, 2012 3:09 AM
May 2009
I like Game of Thrones, but it has its limits on how good it is. true its better then some shows. But there are just shows it can't beat. Due to the fact I've never rewatched it.
Oct 26, 2012 3:12 AM

Nov 2011
Nyaaaa said:
I can only find Game of Thrones and Supernatural to be superior to most of anime.

I should catch up with more of Supernatural
The Art of Eight
Oct 26, 2012 3:30 AM
Jul 2018
The only one show i can think of is Futurama.
It's the best show, by far!

But still, i pick Anime over Real Life TV Shows :)
Oct 26, 2012 4:06 AM

Sep 2012
So basically this thread is just a re-worded "what's your favorite non-anime tv show" thread.

Dexter
Game of Thrones
Breaking Bad
House
Hell on Wheels
Sons of Anarchy

Seen every ep of each show. They easily hold their own against anime for me. Though there's a metric shit ton more anime for me to watch, so even though I enjoy these, I still like anime just as much if not a little more, seeing as I can watch them year round.
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Oct 26, 2012 5:43 AM

Oct 2012
Anime. Hands down.
Oct 26, 2012 5:49 AM

Aug 2012
I like most anime better, that's why I watch it. Most TV shows just seem to drag on for too long for me and it's too easy to compare TV shows with real life and it takes a way a lot of the magic that anime has for me. Finally, I just like the way anime looks, it's a nice art form.
Oct 26, 2012 5:54 AM
Jul 2012
I haven't touched my tv in months, but when I do it's going to be when the NBA season starts up again. Even then, bulls games don't come on in new york. So I'm still going to be on my laptop all day.
Oct 26, 2012 6:03 AM

Mar 2012
In general I prefer animes, but there's a very good TV Show which is Dexter. One the best tv shows ever made, although I don't really watch TV, just the things I Download. Watching tv channels Sucks.
"A shinobi who violates the rules is scum, but a shinobi who abandons their friends is worse than scum" - Uchiha Obito
Oct 26, 2012 6:57 AM

Oct 2012
I like both, but prefer anime .. since february 2012 when I moved I seen .. less then 5 episodes of tv show ?? ... anime is more enjoyable for me

I've got a bad habit of clicking spoilers too fast, then regret it ..

"The only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed."
Oct 26, 2012 7:48 AM
Apr 2009
Like I said in similar threads, they're equal.

The amount of crap they both have balances out. Then their greats like Fate/Zero, 24, Gintama, & Breaking Bad match each other.

If you prefer one over the other you haven't seen enough of the other.

I have 20+ shows that are 5-10/10 right now because I watch both. Watching Btooom!, Person of Interest, Arrow, Little Busters!, Dexter, Homeland, Gintama: Overtime, Jormungand: Perfect Order, The Walking Dead etc.

Brightens up my week personally.
AltaceOct 26, 2012 7:56 AM
Oct 26, 2012 7:59 AM

Apr 2009
Real life tv shows? Doesn't that mean reality shows? If yes, then anime is defenitely better.
Oct 26, 2012 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
MagnumBookworm said:
Real life tv shows? Doesn't that mean reality shows? If yes, then anime is defenitely better.

It means live action shows, brah
The Art of Eight
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - 51 minutes ago

3 by 61969 »»
1 minute ago

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 15 minutes ago

2 by Rally- »»
7 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by Rally- »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

15 by Dumb »»
18 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - 4 hours ago

4 by Trivia-man-Frank »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.