New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 4, 2008 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
This r amazing news!!!!

I'm gonna love MAL even more now ^^

Aug 4, 2008 2:31 PM

Mar 2008
Okay.. we heard the goos side of the story...

so what's the catch?
Aug 4, 2008 2:36 PM

Apr 2008
Will this affect the Fansub DB at all?

Oh, and, congratulations Xinil.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Aug 4, 2008 2:37 PM

Nov 2007
Video sounds amazing and extremely beneficial. I'm happy for MAL, and us! =D
Aug 4, 2008 3:05 PM

Jun 2007
Wow, so this means MAL is pretty big time now? Well, I hope this site continues to go from strength to strength!

Also, congrats Xinil, It's pretty hard to stand out on the internet these days...
Your search on "Oran Solus" returned the following quotes:
"Oran Solus? I know him. What a wanker. He still owes me a tenner." Oscar Wilde
"Oran, you're so intelligent and awesome <3" Bakayaro
"Oran's sexy." LolitaDecay
"Oran is a sophisticated penguin." Drybananna
"Oran is a Hand-Eye you faggots." EddieSpaghetti
"Oran for Prime Minister." the_prime_one
"Oran is all that is stated in his sig and more." orbitzz

Aug 4, 2008 3:10 PM

Nov 2007
Congrats Xinil, you´re the man!
Aug 4, 2008 3:12 PM

Nov 2006
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 4, 2008 3:17 PM

Nov 2004
I'm kind of surprised. Very. However, congratulations to you Xinil. I do hope MAL will continue to prosper over the years. It's a bit weird to witness all this time how far we've come.
Aug 4, 2008 3:56 PM

Jul 2007
Oh... wow...

Video Trailers would definitely be nice though, and they have onemanga... hmm... And though I rated bleach low, I'm part of the demographic anyways.

Well done, Xinil.
asandariAug 4, 2008 4:12 PM
Aug 4, 2008 3:59 PM

Apr 2007
at first I wasnt sure what to think, but congrats Xinil. Great Business move.
Aug 4, 2008 4:05 PM

Jan 2008
DarkFlash said:
CraveOnline Acquires MyAnimeList - World's Largest Anime & Manga Social Networking Site

HAHA the heading looks great :D
That doesn't look great, it looks freaking awesome XD

Congrats Xinil!!
Aug 4, 2008 4:07 PM

Oct 2007
Now that's some interesting news. Hope MAL continues to grow. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2008 4:09 PM

May 2007
Awesome. One step closer to taking over the world.
Aug 4, 2008 4:09 PM
Apr 2008
Wow, it just keeps on getting better and better. :D
Aug 4, 2008 4:17 PM

Oct 2007
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- CraveOnline.com (http://www.CraveOnline.com) a leading lifestyle destination for men featuring video, movies, TV, music, sports, games, cars, humor and more, announced today that it has acquired MyAnimeList (http://www.MyAnimeList.net), the world's largest anime & manga social networking site with over 10,000 members signing in daily.

Founded in 2006, Wut? Did you say MAL was founded in 2006? You do know its wrong to give out false information. MyAnimeList was created to give users an immediate and easy way of cataloging their anime or manga collection. The site allows users to create a profile, connect with other enthusiasts and provide detailed information on anime or manga characters, plot line and more. The catalog of over 4.4 million anime and 775,000 manga user based entries on the site make MyAnimeList the largest of its kind online.

In addition the site provides members the ability to create their own club or join existing ones, start a blog, check anime compatibility rating with other members, receive email notifications on newly released episodes and read a variety of anime and manga reviews.

"MyAnimeList continues to bolster CraveOnline's leadership position in the highly competitive online male youth market," stated Mike Dodge, SVP/General Manager of AtomicOnline. "The acquisition appeals to AtomicOnline's growing family of quality owned and operated affinity properties." Wait what? We continue to bolster CraveOnline. You liar, in order to continue to bolster your position MAL would have had to be in your possesion for some time now. You just now bought us.

About CraveOnline.com

CraveOnline.com (http://www.CraveOnline.com) is a leading lifestyle destination for young men ages 18-34 For som reason that doesn't sound like MAL that much do to the fact that alot of our users are a lot younger then 18 and we do have a fair amount of females here. and also serves as the demographic/psychographic hub for a family of other male-centric Oh great, stereotyping again web properties featuring video, movies, TV, music, sports, games, cars, humor and more. As one of the fastest growing destinations on the web with sites like ComingSoon.net, Sherdog.com, ActionTrip.com, Superherohype.com and SpikedHumor.com. CraveOnline attracts over 36 million unique visitors per month, and is larger than leading competitor Heavy Networks and twice the size of Maxim. Your point being wut For advertisers, opportunities for sponsorship and creative integration go beyond the banner to make marketing messages an uninterrupted part of the user experience. Recent brand advertisers include Kohl's, Intel, Scion, PlayStation, NBC, Harley Davidson, Hanes, Wrigley, Burger King, Axe,hell no, not on MAL you dont 20th and Century Fox. The company is based in Los Angeles with sales offices in New York, Chicago and San Francisco. CraveOnline is part of AtomicOnline (http://www.AtomicOnline.com), a diversified online media company
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 4, 2008 4:27 PM

May 2007
That is so awesome. Congrats!!
Aug 4, 2008 5:06 PM

Feb 2007
I'm in utter shock...
Aug 4, 2008 5:10 PM

Oct 2007
it would be nice if MAL could start streaming anime someday.
Aug 4, 2008 5:22 PM

Feb 2008
Lots of mixed feelings about this... I'm really glad the bandwidth and funding issues have been lightened, but at the same time, regardless of what agreements are made and how well Xinil tries to preserve MAL, I'm a bit concerned that it could eventually end up becoming another anti-fansub ANN or something like Facebook that completely loses its original focus. But I don't know anything about CraveOnline, so give them the benefit of the doubt, perhaps?

I am very glad, however, that Xinil seems to have finally gotten a small bit of payback for all the work he's put into this site, and even if it changes, I feel that he is one of the only people who is truly entitled to have a say in what happens with MAL.
Aug 4, 2008 5:28 PM

Jul 2007
I don't like how this deal went down. There was no input from the community and even Crystal, who has been one of the hardest working and longest serving admins, is left in surprise. That's not good. Not good at all.
Crystal said:
I'm kind of surprised. Very. However, congratulations to you Xinil. I do hope MAL will continue to prosper over the years. It's a bit weird to witness all this time how far we've come.

This is one of my big gripes with MAL, there's hardly any communication between any of the admin staff. The forum mods aren't consistent between each other. The anime database staff are all over the place viewing what is quality and not. alot of character submissions are approved with bad photos or spoilers in the descriptions or other things which are just plain quality control. The same goes for the manga staff. And this shows that Xinil is not in communication with anyone.

For me on the outside looking in, that's a huge slap in the face to everyone who made the site what it is today, especially to people like Crystal and Faust and also to the people who reported one thing or made one good post.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 4, 2008 5:37 PM

Jan 2008
To be honest, I'm going with the assumption that only Xinil has put the most time, effort and money into MAL. Everyone else is voluntarily helping out, so if Xinil wants to sell MAL or whatever, he can do what he likes. Sure it'd be nice to give a heads up, but he's not obligated to. Its a free service he's providing us, and as long as it stays like that I dont think we're justified in demanding anything from him. I dont see how this remotely concerns mods and staff, its a personal business deal.

I do think MAL still needs to iron out wrinkles, but everyone's doing this voluntarily I think, right? It comes with the territory, we cant expect a professional service when its not guaranteed to us.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 4, 2008 5:44 PM

Feb 2007
Congratulations on getting acquired! I'm glad all the work you've put into this site paid off. You deserve it! :D
Aug 4, 2008 5:53 PM

Jan 2008
selective_yellow said:
I'm in utter shock...

But congrats anyways.

EDIT: I'm on the site, but I can't find anything that mentions MAL anywhere on it...
JelloAug 4, 2008 6:23 PM
Aug 4, 2008 5:54 PM

Mar 2007
@TWE: I like how your post turned into a bash against all the mods which HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MAL BEING BOUGHT.

We VOLUNTEER to help Xinil out. it's his website, he can do whatever he wants with it. we're just here to support him. he created it. the end.

get over it.

/end.
Aug 4, 2008 6:38 PM

Feb 2007
Jello said:
selective_yellow said:
I'm in utter shock...

But congrats anyways.

I don't get it?

edit: Windy explained. Nevermind.
SY_IS_DEAD_IRLAug 4, 2008 7:28 PM
Aug 4, 2008 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
This sounds good as it seems Xinil won't have to worry about funding anymore and perhaps can do some things that he couldn't do before because of such limitations.

And congrats MAL. hopefully this helps the site expand.

And saying that Xinil should feel obligated to contact admins and moderators about this change is (no offense) a bit asinine. It seems like they're all volunteers and do what they do because they like what the site is. I'm under the assumption that the programming work, the servers, and the bulk of the work that goes into maintaining the basic functionality of this site is Xinil's.

Though you can say that the users are what define a site, the truth is that if the interface and function of the site was sub-par, there wouldn't be those users.
Aug 4, 2008 6:43 PM

Jul 2007
Oy, he announced as soon as he could that MAL was bought. I've been a member of some sites where they don't even tell ya that, and on top of that start selling whatever data you put in a profile to target some crappy ads at you *cough* Facebook *cough* Congrats again, Xinil

Everyone talks about rock these days, the problem is they forget about the roll - Keith Richards
Aug 4, 2008 6:58 PM

Jun 2007
uuuwaaaah!
o__o shock-desu
What to say about this? Its great & awesome news!
Video Features would be a great addition! Like anime Trailers, OP & END's *excited!!!!*

Aug 4, 2008 7:07 PM

Jul 2007
ReverseHarem said:
@TWE: I like how your post turned into a bash against all the mods which HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MAL BEING BOUGHT.

We VOLUNTEER to help Xinil out. it's his website, he can do whatever he wants with it. we're just here to support him. he created it. the end.

get over it.

/end.

Brian333 said:
This sounds good as it seems Xinil won't have to worry about funding anymore and perhaps can do some things that he couldn't do before because of such limitations.

And congrats MAL. hopefully this helps the site expand.

And saying that Xinil should feel obligated to contact admins and moderators about this change is (no offense) a bit asinine. It seems like they're all volunteers and do what they do because they like what the site is. I'm under the assumption that the programming work, the servers, and the bulk of the work that goes into maintaining the basic functionality of this site is Xinil's.

Though you can say that the users are what define a site, the truth is that if the interface and function of the site was sub-par, there wouldn't be those users.

I never said that Xinil was obligated to do anything. He say fuck it all and delete every last of MAL tomorrow and he'd have full right to, well, maybe not after he sold MAL but you get the point. The mods volunteer their time and helped built a great site. And we can go back and forth with, "Without Xinil there wouldn't be the framework." "Without the mods there wouldn't be the content.", they worked hand in hand to build MAL what it is today.

Xinil didn't do anything bad or illegal or break something he was obligated to do, but how he went about selling MAL was rude. Congrats to him for making a return on his investment though.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 4, 2008 7:18 PM

Nov 2007
Can't say it bothers me either way as long as this new owner doesn't make drastic changes to the way lists and the DB work. I don't really want to see MAL turn in to a streaming annex or anything though. Trailers are fine, I guess, but that'd only work for licensed series, which make up a relatively small amount of the total DB.

I'm not surprised or disappointed or anything, it's just another step in the capitalistic dream. The advertising went down just like this, suddenly implemented without any mod/user polling, so a buyout happening like this is to be expected too. If the money allows for better servers and bandwidth, great. Less downtime, more responsive lists, all good. No complaints here.

But then, I run ABP, so the ads never had any impact on me. And anything this new deal may change in such regards will be blocked too, so as long as the core lists and DB stay as is, I don't really care.
Aug 4, 2008 7:32 PM

Mar 2008
Nice news, will help MAL expand. However, I sure hope they don't try to 'switch' the site to a more male audience. Males aren't the only one's who like anime/manga :/.
Aug 4, 2008 7:32 PM

Nov 2007
Asako said:
Can't say it bothers me either way as long as this new owner doesn't make drastic changes to the way lists and the DB work. I don't really want to see MAL turn in to a streaming annex or anything though. Trailers are fine, I guess, but that'd only work for licensed series, which make up a relatively small amount of the total DB.

I'm not surprised or disappointed or anything, it's just another step in the capitalistic dream. The advertising went down just like this, suddenly implemented without any mod/user polling, so a buyout happening like this is to be expected too. If the money allows for better servers and bandwidth, great. Less downtime, more responsive lists, all good. No complaints here.

But then, I run ABP, so the ads never had any impact on me. And anything this new deal may change in such regards will be blocked too, so as long as the core lists and DB stay as is, I don't really care.

Pretty much the exact same. I only use MAL for my list and for being able to look up information in the database. As for ads, ABP is a neat little plugin, ain't it?

Gaia said:
Nice news, will help MAL expand. However, I sure hope they don't try to 'switch' the site to a more male audience. Males aren't the only one's who like anime/manga :/.

Only change I could see happening in that regard, is the ads. Assuming you don't have a blocker, you'll probably be seeing ads for the teen-male demographic. Just my guess anyway.
Aug 4, 2008 7:34 PM

Mar 2008
This generally good news. But keep close tabs on your baby, Xinil.
'only the dead have seen the end of war' Plato
listen to the whispers of your ghost
Aug 4, 2008 7:42 PM

Nov 2006
cr4sian_phil said:
i am 100% against this and really hope this never happens.
Aug 4, 2008 7:45 PM

Apr 2008
Will CraveOnline be fixing the damn Search function? ^_^
Aug 4, 2008 7:49 PM

Aug 2007
Congratulation Xinil and MAL, now I'll be able to start ADblocking the ads since the servers are getting paid for :P While I don't like one bit CraveOnline one bit (more like the opposite actually) I'm happy for MAL since it means it's growing :P
Also...
windy said:
cr4sian_phil said:

Windy speaketh words of wisdom instead of the usual spam and 4chan links.
Trailer could be nice though, but not really needed, there are tons of more useful (and urgent) things that would benefit MAL way more than that.
Like Xinil iStalk T-shirts.
Needs to fix this sometime but I'm lazy - since 11/05/2009
Aug 4, 2008 7:55 PM

Jan 2007
windy said:
cr4sian_phil said:

actually, i would like to see this, but directly from the companies. kinda like how gonzo is uploading to crunchyroll. We could have funimation/adv/bandai/etc. stream free episodes before dvd release here like they are doing now at other places.
Aug 4, 2008 7:59 PM

Aug 2007
Faust721 said:
windy said:
cr4sian_phil said:

actually, i would like to see this, but directly from the companies. kinda like how gonzo is uploading to crunchyroll. We could have funimation/adv/bandai/etc. stream free episodes before dvd release here like they are doing now at other places.

That's a different story altogheter... I'd like that even if it wasn't free but had some kinda of monthly fee like satellite or cable TV. But it would need to have english subs
Aug 4, 2008 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
TheWestExit said:
I never said that Xinil was obligated to do anything. He say fuck it all and delete every last of MAL tomorrow and he'd have full right to, well, maybe not after he sold MAL but you get the point. The mods volunteer their time and helped built a great site. And we can go back and forth with, "Without Xinil there wouldn't be the framework." "Without the mods there wouldn't be the content.", they worked hand in hand to build MAL what it is today.

Xinil didn't do anything bad or illegal or break something he was obligated to do, but how he went about selling MAL was rude. Congrats to him for making a return on his investment though.

I don't think you can go back and forth with that at all. Without Xinil, there would've been no MAL. That much you can say for sure (unless another web designer with time on his hands just happens to have the same idea and skills). Without the current admins and moderators, there would just be other admins and moderators that replace them. Now, I'm not trying to say they've done a bad job or trying to disrespect their work. I'm just saying that Xinil is clearly on a different level of importance.

Personally, I don't think it's rude at all. If my boss at a company wants to sell his company, he's the boss. I might help produce the work but it's not like I can claim any real ownership to the company.
Aug 4, 2008 8:07 PM

Mar 2005
TheWestExit said:
I don't like how this deal went down. There was no input from the community and even Crystal, who has been one of the hardest working and longest serving admins, is left in surprise. That's not good. Not good at all.
Crystal said:

This is one of my big gripes with MAL, there's hardly any communication between any of the admin staff. The forum mods aren't consistent between each other. The anime database staff are all over the place viewing what is quality and not. alot of character submissions are approved with bad photos or spoilers in the descriptions or other things which are just plain quality control. The same goes for the manga staff. And this shows that Xinil is not in communication with anyone.

For me on the outside looking in, that's a huge slap in the face to everyone who made the site what it is today, especially to people like Crystal and Faust and also to the people who reported one thing or made one good post.

Considering that xinil has shouldered the VAST MAJORITY of the VERY expensive server fees that went into the site, I say anything has anything to do with the finances of the site should rest solely with the man himself. After all, it's not like Xinil hasn't discussed with us our opinions on certain aspects of the site in the past. When he felt like changing the name of MyAnimeList to AnimeBasho, he could have just gone ahead and did it without asking any of us, but instead he listened to the very strong opposition to the idea, and we are better off today because of the communication.

As for the other parts of staff, I can't speak for the rest of them but I don't see how the forum mods at least are inconsistent. We have a set of rules and guidelines worked on and agreed upon by each , and we go by them. Sometimes we have a thread or something that falls into "grey area", and when that happens we often ask each other for second/third opinions in the staff channel on what to do. So yes, as long as you realize that you are speaking from the outside looking in, you should realize that there's often more to the staff then we let out.
Aug 4, 2008 8:13 PM

Aug 2007
My lurker senses smell trolls! :D

I think that TWE is just complaining because even if lots of people worked for years as a team to help MAL grow and dedicating lots of time to MAL, when something big as this happened they weren't informed of it before and left out of what was happening :P

And yes, I can't seem to sleep so I'm camping the forums.
Aug 4, 2008 8:18 PM

Mar 2008
windy said:
cr4sian_phil said:

I also hope MAL doesn't go into the anime streaming business. The trailers would be fine. But not full episodes. Things will just get too out of hand and turn into a CrunchyRoll duplicate.
Aug 4, 2008 8:39 PM

Aug 2007
CanadaAotS said:
Asako said:

Pretty much the exact same. I only use MAL for my list and for being able to look up information in the database. As for ads, ABP is a neat little plugin, ain't it?

Gaia said:

Only change I could see happening in that regard, is the ads. Assuming you don't have a blocker, you'll probably be seeing ads for the teen-male demographic. Just my guess anyway.

Exactly the same here.

Anyways, grats Xinil!

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Aug 4, 2008 8:43 PM

Nov 2004
Aug 4, 2008 9:22 PM

Aug 2007
Gaia said:
windy said:
cr4sian_phil said:

I also hope MAL doesn't go into the anime streaming business. The trailers would be fine. But not full episodes. Things will just get too out of hand and turn into a CrunchyRoll duplicate.

MAL is going to disappear if Anime Streaming happens.
Aug 4, 2008 9:34 PM

Aug 2008
nice =]

Aug 4, 2008 9:35 PM

Feb 2008
Aokaado said:
jacobpaige said:
from what the yahoo article was saying they primarily target a demographic of which i am not a part

actually u are, CO is for males 18-34

the way they usually define this demographic means that i'm not who they're looking for.
asandari said:
though I rated bleach low, I'm part of the demographic anyways.

i was just using it as an example, there are several other anime that i could have used that hold no interest for me (and i assume many others) but are well loved by their key demographic.

as for what TWE's posts, i think she is just trying to say that it would have been nice if people who had dedicated a large portion of their lives to the site had been informed of such an important change before the general community (even if they weren't actually consulted).

btw, does this mean that the admin/mods will start getting paid? ;)
Aug 4, 2008 9:55 PM

Dec 2007
Congrats Xinil

Though i do agree that streaming anime should not become a part of this site.
Aug 4, 2008 10:07 PM

Dec 2007
Pretty good news, the only compliant I could have is if they drastically changed something about it, I don't really know what they could change to make it suck rather than to completely change everything.

#NBHNC
Aug 4, 2008 11:36 PM

Apr 2007
Cool. I did like this place alot better as a small community, but nothing stays that way forever. So it's goon news.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

130 by weenbeans »»
2 hours ago

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

332 by vulcab »»
5 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.