Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2012 1:24 PM

May 2010
I like it, i will be watching it hopefully it will be good and I say that with a grain of salt

4/5
Apr 5, 2012 1:26 PM

Nov 2010
dat Ginyu Force reference.
That was the best part of the ep... which doesn't bode well for the series when the best part it just a reference.
Apr 5, 2012 1:31 PM

Mar 2008
love the DBZ reference. Thins is going to be a good adaptation.
The only thing to make it perfect would be Kumagawa.
Apr 5, 2012 1:33 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
That was..... Ok. I'm not a fan of characters who think they're better than everyone else. Especially an MC. So i don't really like Medaka at all. If she doesn't cool it with the superiority thing, I'll probably drop this.

I did however, like the blonde guy and the little blue haired girl. She was hilarious.
Apr 5, 2012 1:39 PM
Jan 2012
It directly followed the manga, great first episode now I know I'm definitely watching more of the anime.

And people should give this a chance jeez, it's just the freaking first episode.
Apr 5, 2012 1:43 PM

Sep 2007
Hmm was hoping for Gainax to do something more badass but I guess I'll continue watching Medaka Boobs.
Apr 5, 2012 1:58 PM
Mar 2012
ClaudiusClotaire said:
It directly followed the manga, great first episode now I know I'm definitely watching more of the anime.

And people should give this a chance jeez, it's just the freaking first episode.

I agree. Dropping this just because Gainax makes it more of an Ecchi style right now doesn't reflect what is to come.

Laraid said:
Meh... the generic romance isn't really helping. It would've been better if Zenkichi wasn't there.

2/5 for now.

Opinions, of course, but what romance ISNT generic?
Apr 5, 2012 2:12 PM

Feb 2011
Todd_Jensen said:
That was..... Ok. I'm not a fan of characters who think they're better than everyone else. Especially an MC. So i don't really like Medaka at all. If she doesn't cool it with the superiority thing, I'll probably drop this.
you'll have an hard time with this show with that kind of mindset
if it can help you see it a different way: medaka doesn't think she is better than others (which should imply selfdishonesty or an illusory superiority complex), she Is better than others (others characters in the same show)
the faster you can accept that(it's only a story) and the most you'll be able to enjoy about the show, this anime is going to have an high droprate anyway if it'll follow the manga steps

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 5, 2012 2:21 PM

Aug 2010
It was an okay first episode I guess. Medaka has a nice pair
Apr 5, 2012 2:30 PM
Feb 2012
Seems like a solid show. Can't say more for now so I'll wait and see what else happens.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 5, 2012 3:22 PM

Jul 2011
I don't care about the ecchi. I already expected it.

But the animation kind of bothers me. :@
Apr 5, 2012 3:27 PM

Sep 2011
Was a fun watch, looking forward to more.
[center]
Apr 5, 2012 3:37 PM

Dec 2009
Nice so far, have to see more though.
Apr 5, 2012 3:43 PM

Dec 2007
The opening so far is my only complaint. I also would have been okay with more fanservice, this seems to be nothing compared to last season's highschool dxd.
Apr 5, 2012 3:59 PM

Apr 2009
Sux drawing and animation. Not gonna watch this.

I hate AB types. Selfish bastards xD
SatoujiApr 5, 2012 4:08 PM
Apr 5, 2012 4:05 PM

Nov 2008
evilchris said:
The opening so far is my only complaint. I also would have been okay with more fanservice, this seems to be nothing compared to last season's highschool dxd.

Heaven forbid this falls into the same trap as DxD. I could barely handle four episodes of that shit.
Apr 5, 2012 4:10 PM
Dec 2007
What I remember after watching the episode : boobs, crappy animation, an unlikable lead female character and a decent lead male character. And clichés, loads of clichés everywhere. Really not sure I"ll watch the second ep.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 5, 2012 4:14 PM

Nov 2008
Bear in mind that this is Gainax's b-team. Kind of like how Sunrise's c-team did Tiger & Bunny. It's not going to be stunningly well animated all the time.

And while I haven't read the manga, it evidently gets very, very different as it goes on.
Apr 5, 2012 4:46 PM

Nov 2011
Meh, somewhat catchy OP song and animation. A lot more fan-service than I expected but I can deal with it. I hope this will have a linear storyline rather than the episode-by-episode slice of lifish theme.

I'll continue watching this although my impression wasn't something that I hoped it would be originally.
Apr 5, 2012 5:01 PM
Mar 2011
first impressions- if the blonde guy continue and do more of inner dialogues or narration he will turn out like kyon and medaka is like haruhi in a body of mikuru. i like that little girl character. seems like she will be the "balancer" of the main couple and a reason why i would be watching more. shes not an alien is she?
"....i am the villain in this story"
Apr 5, 2012 5:16 PM

Dec 2008
Tachii said:
yaHzee said:
I love reading posts along the lines of: "wasnt what I was expecting, so I am going to post that if something doesn't change, I'm going to drop it." Hey guys, it's the first episode LOL. What is this, amateur hour?
Meh, people even start to rate the series based on one episode. Apparently first impression is very important.

Paul said:
Ah so much fun. Wants more episodes. Lol @ Medaka turning him into a tsundere.
First time I have seen a guy admit he's a tsundere. I think that was a GAINAX moment.

I've seen so many people say that Zenkichi claimed that he was a tsundere.

WHEN THE BLOODY HELL DID HE CLAIM THAT AS I DID NOT HEAR HIM CALL HIMSELF A TSUNDERE ONCE IN THE ENTIRE EPISODE.

He called Medaka's second special skill being a tsundere... the first being preaching to lesser mortals. He didn't call himself a tsundere -_-

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Apr 5, 2012 5:20 PM

Feb 2010
Eh seems pretty boring, ecchi makes it less boring.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 5, 2012 6:01 PM

Jun 2010
I didn't find it that boring, and I ignored the ecchi moments.

I find Zenkichi (Yes! Male Tsundere) Medaka, and Shiranui to be adorable. Can't wait for the rest of the cast.

Whether this is cliche romance, drama, comedy, action or all of them, I will watch. I kinda want some drama mixed in at any rate. Seems like there will be, plus the summary I read (wait fffffff- I got spoiled didn't I?)
Apr 5, 2012 6:06 PM

Nov 2008
I didn't think this was that ecchi.

Then again, I'm pretty much desensitised to that by now.
Apr 5, 2012 6:15 PM

Jan 2011
Well i planned on reading the manga a few months ago but then i found out about it getting a anime so i held out it seems like it could be a pretty good series if it goes on for more then 24eps and is it safe to say Sket dance + over the top action = Medaka box? if so im on board.

and who told Kamina he could show up without his glasses Lol
Apr 5, 2012 6:20 PM

Jul 2009
the story (i won't use the other word in case of confusion in this context) for Medaka Box is your typical bait and switch. Think Madoka ep1~3, except it stretches to possibly the first 13 episodes. Now I'm not saying that the change will be the same to madoka, but people will be very surprised when it comes to that part of the story.

Let's just say that Nisio Isin got bored with writing Sket Dance very quickly.
Apr 5, 2012 6:32 PM

Feb 2009
Misdreavius said:

WHEN THE BLOODY HELL DID HE CLAIM THAT AS I DID NOT HEAR HIM CALL HIMSELF A TSUNDERE ONCE IN THE ENTIRE EPISODE.

He called Medaka's second special skill being a tsundere... the first being preaching to lesser mortals. He didn't call himself a tsundere -_-

He bluntly stated it right near the end, when Medaka hugged him. He says,

"Kurokami Medaka is advancing on me and I'm... Tsundere!"

So yeah, he is a self-claimed tsundere.

It kind of bugged me how much that lead delinquent looked like Kamina, although I suppose it makes sense because Gainax did Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as well.
Apr 5, 2012 6:33 PM

Jun 2009
Well, this works out better than what i expected. Art is very smiliar to manga, animation is ok. It's a tad too colorful with mostly light colors everywhar, but it will make a nic contrast when darker themes start going on. Should look good.
Not really sure how they plan to stuff almost 100 chapters in 45(?) episodes, but we'll see.
I was very dissapointed when i heard Toyosaki Aki of all seiyuu out there will be voicing Medaka, feared retard-Yui-like voice coming, but damn. She just outdid herself and actually sounds pretty good, must be her only role where she's not only bearable, but even sounds good. Well, Medaka's voice is fitting, so is, more or less Zenkichi's but most of all Shiranui's. Looking forward to Kayano Ai voicing Kikaijima.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 5, 2012 6:37 PM

Mar 2009
Been wondering when they would make an anime for the manga. ^_^

All in all it was enjoyable... looking forward to the next one!
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Apr 5, 2012 6:47 PM

Dec 2008
Kipcha said:
Misdreavius said:

It kind of bugged me how much that lead delinquent looked like Kamina, although I suppose it makes sense because Gainax did Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as well.

Is that what SubDesu translated it as cause there's one hell of a mistranslation. WhyNot had the correctly translated line, especially so seeing as the bloody manga scanlators had the same correct line.

Tonight... we are young... so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter, than the sun...
Apr 5, 2012 6:56 PM

Apr 2011
Is SubDESU translating this correctly? I just saw their subs and I heard many characters saying fuck this and fuck that. Fuck was said at least4-5 times. Bitch was also said about 3-4 times as well. Is this anime R-18? Or is this mistranslated?

Anyways the episode was pretty good. I don't read manga but from what I can tell about the developers this adaption of Medaka Box should be in very good hands...I hope.
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Apr 5, 2012 6:58 PM
Jan 2010
Elite60 said:
lol, the blue haired guy sounded exactly like Oga, Tatsumi from Beezlebub (probably the same VA).

Seeing pantsu shots in the OP was all I needed to know that the show will be tilted towards the ecchi side at times.

I suppose you may have subconsciously thought this because he resembles Kamina from Gurren Lagann a little bit and Kamina has the same VA as Oga. He does have that quality to his voice so I also had a similar thought, but Medaka Box doesn't show up in that's VA's list of roles.

EDIT: I'm not so sure he isn't the VA anymore...He sounds pretty damn close to Katsuyuki Konishi. I haven't found the credit for the character anywhere, but I'll bet it's Katsuyuki Konishi.
Jonouchi619Apr 5, 2012 7:21 PM
Apr 5, 2012 6:59 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
jeroz said:

This. If anyone thinks this is going to be actually about solving student affairs and high school comedy and slice of life... prepare to be surprised.

This is a battle shounen series. With power levels beyond those displayed in Katanagatari.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 5, 2012 7:14 PM

Dec 2010
wakka9ca said:
jeroz said:

This. If anyone thinks this is going to be actually about solving student affairs and high school comedy and slice of life... prepare to be surprised.

This is a battle shounen series. With power levels beyond those displayed in Katanagatari.

People should give it more time; at this pace it shouldn't take that long before the genre shift kicks in; as for those who dislike the characters i believe it was already mentioned, but there will plenty more characters to be introduced, Medaka is not the only character in the show.
Apr 5, 2012 7:23 PM

Jun 2009
Man, this is boring. Granted I don't read the manga.

It's not bad, it's just too bland.
Apr 5, 2012 7:26 PM

Jul 2010
Elite60 said:
lol, the blue haired guy sounded exactly like Oga, Tatsumi from Beezlebub (probably the same VA)..

to me he looks and sounds exaclty like a teen kamina from tengen toppa gurren laggann.

well i dont know about you guys, but i enjoyed this.

Apr 5, 2012 7:33 PM

Jul 2011
Favorite of the season! So awesome :)
Apr 5, 2012 7:33 PM

Jul 2011
Was really looking forward to watching this and gotta say, I'm not disappointed. I mean I wasn't really blown away or anything, but I didn't expect to be in the first episode. It did get a little boring here and there, but the medonkadonks kept me into it.

Still way to early to tell how the series is going to be, but no major complaints from me so far. I'm not really sure what anyone else expected besides just fleshing out the characters a bit in the first episode.
Apr 5, 2012 8:00 PM

May 2011
JerichoxBarrons said:
Favorite of the season! So awesome :)

Agreed, this definitely looks like it'll turn out really awesome. :D
Apr 5, 2012 8:10 PM

Sep 2011
Blue haired guy seemed like Kamina, same voice I think too...

yeah good episode, but I am probably going to be bored with the next few episodes... until the great change in the manga
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Apr 5, 2012 9:03 PM

Dec 2010
boring
and medaka’s a freakin’ freak
「J>K>W」
事実。
Apr 5, 2012 9:30 PM

Jul 2009
depend on how you like it, but the most consistent thing about medaka box is how each chapter outdone the previous one in term of the insanity level.
jerozApr 5, 2012 9:34 PM
Apr 5, 2012 9:45 PM

Sep 2011
Boy Tsundre FTW
Apr 5, 2012 9:59 PM

Dec 2007
Haven't read the manga, but are the characters always going to be this boring? There wasn't a single one that caught my interest. And next episode they got to find a lost dog? Yeah... two episodes to go before this show fails the 3 episode test miserably.
Apr 5, 2012 10:01 PM

Aug 2010
Lot of people are gonna drop this before the arcs hit, shame.
fuck everything and rumble
Apr 5, 2012 10:10 PM

May 2011
Damn..that Moji is seriously like Kamina without glasses..
Next week preview I can see Shiranui more like Ryushii from denpa onna to seishun otoko. LOL..overall, not an amazing start but still watchable. If i don't look at MAL I will never expect VA for Medaka is Toyosaki Aki. Different voice acting from before. Keeps the good work up Aki.

Hoping that i will not dropping the anime too soon
Apr 5, 2012 10:17 PM

Jan 2010
Considering how the Enforcers were shown in the OP and in the first scene during her speech, I doubt Gainax plans on taking very long to get to them and the Flask Plan.
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Apr 5, 2012 10:40 PM

Nov 2010
Awesome episode, been waiting for this season since it was first announced can't wait till they hit the main arcs later one. But regardless they adapted the manga nearly perfectly from what i am seeing which is very kind to people who read the manga beforehand.
Apr 5, 2012 10:55 PM

Nov 2011
Glorious. This girl's not afraid to show some skin at all (:

Apr 5, 2012 11:11 PM

Dec 2010
Misdreavius said:
Kipcha said:
Misdreavius said:

Is that what SubDesu translated it as cause there's one hell of a mistranslation. WhyNot had the correctly translated line, especially so seeing as the bloody manga scanlators had the same correct line.

yes, it’s mistranslated.
「J>K>W」
事実。
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 25, 2012

103 by Karva1 »»
Jun 29, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2012

129 by Homura24 »»
Jun 13, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2012

124 by Homura24 »»
Jun 13, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Medaka Box Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 11, 2012

158 by RaidenSteiner »»
Oct 22, 2023 6:01 PM

» Moji, Mahibi

Ugliz - Mar 10, 2014

1 by gust4835 »»
Sep 4, 2023 8:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.