Forum Settings
Forums

Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do???

New
4 hours ago

Jul 2021
This site has been around since 2004 and a simple toggle function can't be implemented? I know this site has some , well a lot of "Japanese purists" that would never want anything to do with English associated with their favorite anime but this is just silly at this point. If the people running this site are so infatuated with Japanese might as well display the titles in Kanji, cause the Japanese dont even use romaji for anime. Anilist has this function so I see no reason why MAL can't.

AND YES I KNOW U CAN TOGGLE IN UR LIST
Which I find pretty meaningless tbh, and a function that is about 3 yrs old now.

I will not call Erased "Boku dake ga Inai Machi"

You guys can say what u want, but the very fact that english titles are more used in forums on this site than their Japanese counterparts is proof enough that we need a toggle function
Cestlavie_3 hours ago
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
4 hours ago

Jun 2017
Romaji and English use the same letters... just read it lol
4 hours ago

Jan 2009
because mal is an english website first heck how many japanese uses mal?
4 hours ago

Feb 2011
I think Fullmetal Alchemist should be finally changed to Hagane no Renkinjutsushi.
4 hours ago

Feb 2023
deg said:

Yes, it's an English website where most of its audience doesn't understand Japanese. Why shouldn't we use English titles then?
4 hours ago

Jan 2009
Reply to Vaturna
deg said:

Yes, it's an English website where most of its audience doesn't understand Japanese. Why shouldn't we use English titles then?
@Vaturna romaji is using the english alphabets though plus there is a toggle to use english titles but not all anime have english titles hence the use of romaji
4 hours ago

Feb 2020
It looks better in Japanese in my opinion.
4 hours ago

Nov 2020
lmao why are you so hurt over that of all things
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

4 hours ago

Feb 2021
Yeah I also find funny how some people refuse to use the official english titles, and only use romanji, when not even JP people use the romanji titles...
4 hours ago

Jun 2024
Ah yes, my favorite anime is...

Shinseiki Evangelion Movie: Air/Magokoro wo, Kimi ni
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
AMBITZZ said:

Cause I was browsing the popular anime page here, saw the Erased romaji title and wept.
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
Because the Romaji titles are the closest to the original titles and most MAL users can only read Latin letters.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
3 hours ago

Nov 2020
Reply to Cestlavie_
AMBITZZ said:

Cause I was browsing the popular anime page here, saw the Erased romaji title and wept.
@Cestlavie_ ooh. erased is one of those few exceptions lol
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

3 hours ago

Sep 2024
I would actually prefer if all titles stay exclusively in native Japanese format instead of English.

3 hours ago

Feb 2016
Reply to Mualani
Ah yes, my favorite anime is...

Shinseiki Evangelion Movie: Air/Magokoro wo, Kimi ni
@Mualani
The Evangelion titles are wrong since they're not even called "movies" in Japanese. They are "gekijouban."
その目だれの目?
3 hours ago

Jun 2024
Reply to Lucifrost
@Mualani
The Evangelion titles are wrong since they're not even called "movies" in Japanese. They are "gekijouban."
@Lucifrost This oversight should not be tolerated, and the mods need to change this ASAP.
3 hours ago

Jul 2010
Sounds better in Japanese, and when it doesn't they use English.
3 hours ago

May 2021
Cestlavie_ said:
This site has been around since 2004 and a simple toggle function can't be implemented? I know this site has some , well a lot of "Japanese purists" that would never want anything to do with English associated with their favorite anime but this is just silly at this point. If the people running this site are so infatuated with Japanese might as well display the titles in Kanji, cause the Japanese dont even use romaji for anime. Anilist has this function so I see no reason why MAL can't.

Which I find pretty meaningless tbh, and a function that is about 3 yrs old now

Romaji is literally "romanized", aka the roman alphabet spelling of japanese words, it's obvious that an english anime site will use the current alphabet used in english to write anime titles instead of kanji most english speakers don't know how to read

If you want to read anime titles in kanji, go to a japanese anime site where the target audience is people who can speak, read, and write japanese
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
DigiCat said:
Cestlavie_ said:

Romaji is literally "romanized", aka the roman alphabet spelling of japanese words, it's obvious that an english anime site will use the current alphabet used in english to write anime titles instead of kanji most english speakers don't know how to read

If you want to read anime titles in kanji, go to a japanese anime site where the target audience is people who can speak, read, and write japanese

That's besides the point. I want to read them in English. I said might as well put it in Kanji if they are already using romaji
3 hours ago

May 2021
Reply to Lucifrost
@Mualani
@Lucifrost Gekijouban actually does mean movie, it's just a specific word for movies that are part of series, we just don't have a specifc word to directly translate it
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
deg said:
@Vaturna romaji is using the english alphabets though plus there is a toggle to use english titles but not all anime have english titles hence the use of romaji

U can't toggle on the main site, only on ur personal list, which is quite silly
3 hours ago

Jan 2009
Reply to Cestlavie_
deg said:

U can't toggle on the main site, only on ur personal list, which is quite silly
@Cestlavie_ then make the toggle default to english titles then thats what you should suggest if you want everyone to use the english titles by default
3 hours ago

May 2021
Reply to Cestlavie_
DigiCat said:
Cestlavie_ said:

That's besides the point. I want to read them in English. I said might as well put it in Kanji if they are already using romaji
@Cestlavie_ The anime that do have english titles have both japanese and english title on their page, click on the pages and you'll get to read the english title
3 hours ago

Jul 2016
Cestlavie_ said:
I want to read them in English. I said might as well put it in Kanji if they are already using romaji

Romaji is used to make learning Japanese easy. You want people to be illiterate?

"Japanese don't use Romaji" is 100% false. They use it when they program video games. The filenames are in Romaji.

Official websites for anime titles have the URL in Romaji.
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
IpreferEcchi said:
Cestlavie_ said:
I want to read them in English. I said might as well put it in Kanji if they are already using romaji

Romaji is used to make learning Japanese easy. You want people to be illiterate?

"Japanese don't use Romaji" is 100% false. They use it when they program video games. The filenames are in Romaji.

I clearly meant in anime titles like check out Anikore
Cestlavie_3 hours ago
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
DigiCat said:
@Cestlavie_ The anime that do have english titles have both japanese and english title on their page, click on the pages and you'll get to read the english title

It's not the same . When I'm looking at the top 100 popular shows, I shouldn't have to do extra clicks just to see it in English.
3 hours ago

Jul 2016
Cestlavie_ said:

"Official websites for anime titles have the URL in Romaji."

I shouldn't need to repeat myself. Those official websites were created by Japanese people, and the URL has Romaji in it.
3 hours ago

Feb 2016
Reply to DigiCat
@Lucifrost Gekijouban actually does mean movie, it's just a specific word for movies that are part of series, we just don't have a specifc word to directly translate it
@DigiCat
I know. My point is that the MAL title uses an English word instead of the Japanese word used in Japan.
その目だれの目?
3 hours ago

Nov 2011
Reply to IpreferEcchi
Cestlavie_ said:

I shouldn't need to repeat myself. Those official websites were created by Japanese people, and the URL has Romaji in it.
@IpreferEcchi what official websites are you talking about? because anikore doesn't use the anime title. instead, they use numbers. for example,
ダンジョンに出会いを求めるのは間違っているだろうかⅤ 豊穣の女神篇(TVアニメ動画)have the url
https://www.anikore.jp/anime/14743/
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
2 hours ago

Sep 2016
Cestlavie_ said:
the very fact that english titles are more used in forums on this site than their Japanese counterparts is proof enough

Would you mind providing the evidence for this "fact" ?
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
2 hours ago

Feb 2016
Reply to IpreferEcchi
Cestlavie_ said:

IpreferEcchi said:
Romaji is used to make learning Japanese easy.

No, that is what hiragana and katakana are for.
その目だれの目?
2 hours ago

Oct 2017
I think the fact that we don't even have a toggle on MAL when competitors do is kind of ridiculous. I have a backup of my watchlist on Anilist and they allow you to toggle between three options of show titles that effects both your personal list as well as what name shows up when you search for a show. They offer the officially localized English titles for shows that have them, the romanization of the Japanese title for every show, or the titles in Japanese using kana and kanji.

Similarly, they allow you the option for names of characters and staff members to be displayed in Romaji or in Japanese, with additional options to change the name order to be family name first given name second like in Japanese, or given name first family name second like in English.

The fact that MAL is missing basic features like this is really dumb and can cause a lot of unnecessary confusion for newer fans trying to find shows to add to their list that they may have already watched, since the display option of the name when entering "Erased" in the search bar isn't going to match what they typed in, and you really shouldn't assume that every single person knows that the show is called "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" in Japanese. Even if someone were to prefer using the romaji titles, if they simply added in a toggle for search it wouldn't hurt anyone since it would be the user's choice as for which title to display and other sites have proven that this option is effective.
LSSJ_Gaming2 minutes ago
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
2 hours ago

Nov 2011
by the way, if you go to setting > list, you can set the language for the titles in your list. i don't see why they couldn't implement this site-wide.
i don't think it would be too computationally expensive, though maybe i'm wrong.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
IpreferEcchi said:
Cestlavie_ said:

the URL is insignificant compared to the titles that are actually displayed for the user to see
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Zarutaku said:
Cestlavie_ said:
the very fact that english titles are more used in forums on this site than their Japanese counterparts is proof enough

Would you mind providing the evidence for this "fact" ?

Well, I don't have hard numbers, but through sampling, it's clear. Take the forum page for AOT.
In those forum titles, how many say Shingeki no Kyogin and not AOT?. This is usually the case for most shows on this app except those that don't have English counterparts
2 hours ago

Jun 2017
Isn't it for the same reason that the Japanese use katakana to represent English words in anime names, only the other way around?

2 hours ago

Sep 2018
Giving the romanji makes it easier to search. Giving the kanji is pointless since nobody would type it in to search. Kanji is not for a english focused website. If you understand kanji why not just use the japanese version of mal alternative instead?
2 hours ago

Feb 2024
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
I think the fact that we don't even have a toggle on MAL when competitors do is kind of ridiculous. I have a backup of my watchlist on Anilist and they allow you to toggle between three options of show titles that effects both your personal list as well as what name shows up when you search for a show. They offer the officially localized English titles for shows that have them, the romanization of the Japanese title for every show, or the titles in Japanese using kana and kanji.

Similarly, they allow you the option for names of characters and staff members to be displayed in Romaji or in Japanese, with additional options to change the name order to be family name first given name second like in Japanese, or given name first family name second like in English.

The fact that MAL is missing basic features like this is really dumb and can cause a lot of unnecessary confusion for newer fans trying to find shows to add to their list that they may have already watched, since the display option of the name when entering "Erased" in the search bar isn't going to match what they typed in, and you really shouldn't assume that every single person knows that the show is called "Boku dake ga Inai Machi" in Japanese. Even if someone were to prefer using the romaji titles, if they simply added in a toggle for search it wouldn't hurt anyone since it would be the user's choice as for which title to display and other sites have proven that this option is effective.
@LSSJ_Gaming

The anime pictures that show in the search exist for a reason
2 hours ago

Nov 2015
The English titles, if they exist, are included right below the Romaji. Why is that a problem?
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night

Removes the colours from our sight

Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right

And which is an illusion.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
rohan121 said:
Giving the romanji makes it easier to search. Giving the kanji is pointless since nobody would type it in to search. Kanji is not for a english focused website. If you understand kanji why not just use the japanese version of mal alternative instead?

An English focused website that doesn't even have a function to display its titles in English.
Isn't that the height of irony?
2 hours ago

Oct 2017
Reply to cyandaqil
The English titles, if they exist, are included right below the Romaji. Why is that a problem?
@cyandaqil
they don't appear under in the search, only on the page itself
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
2 hours ago

Jul 2021
Here's a thread from the Suggestions board: Instead of default Rōmaji have an option use officially translated English title

I think the biggest concern is the mods will have to go through the entire database and make sure the English titles are correct and "official," instead of some fan translation. I think we can enable English toggle first and then worry about fixing those later, but that's just my opinion.

I've just gotten used to seeing Romaji and identifying entries by their posters, but I vote 'yes' to a title toggle feature.
2 hours ago

Aug 2017
I respect the original language. Just because you must write in English here, it doesn't mean all titles must be in English only. This is a site for a foreign media so why are you surprised many prefer the foreign media language over the English one? English doesn't even speak by majority of the world.
Nurguburu2 hours ago
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
2 hours ago

Oct 2018
Yeah, humanity really needs a world war 3
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
1 hour ago

Apr 2021
MAL wants to be consistent. A lot of anime/mangas doesn't have a english name. It's going to be pain to show the japanese name for some and english for others.

And it's not that big of an issue anyways. Let it be.

Cestlavie_ said:
I will not call Erased "Boku dake ga Inai Machi"
Nobody's forcing you. By the way, erased is one of the worst english name for an anime. Doesn't make sense at all why it was named erased.
mshfqtny1 hour ago
1 hour ago

May 2021
Reply to Cestlavie_
DigiCat said:

It's not the same . When I'm looking at the top 100 popular shows, I shouldn't have to do extra clicks just to see it in English.
@Cestlavie_ You shouldn't have to do extra clicks?

So on a site that does show the english names as the main title, but someone preferes to read the romaji ones, then is it faitr to say they shouldn't have to do extra clicks to get to it?

What kind of spoilt logic is that?

If you don't like the site layout find another one instead of trying in vain to force it to conform to your preferences
1 hour ago

Jul 2021
Nurguburu said:
I respect the original language. Just because you must write in English here, it doesn't mean all titles must be in English only. This is a site for a foreign media so why are you surprised many prefer the foreign media language over the English one? English doesn't even speak by majority of the world.

That's because this is not a Japanese site. it is a site for foreign media for foreigners to use. The majority of MAL users don't even speak Japanese. It's, in my opinion, that I should be able to understand what the title means
Plus, English is the world's international language, doesn't it make sense for a so-called foreign site to have that option to change it to. Mustn't even only be English. It could be French, German, or Spanish. I just see no reason in 2024 to be limited to Japanese when other anime database sites have a toggle option.
1 hour ago

Oct 2013
The better question is, why are they so inconsistent with it? I swear at one point they went full Romanji, and used it even for series no one calls by their Japanese name outside of Japan, like Fullmetal Alchemist. But then they realized that was dumb and changed it back. But then there's series like Ghost in The Shell, where they still have it up as "Koukaku Kidoutai", which I've NEVER seen anyone call it. And again, I SWEAR it was up as Ghost in The Shell at one point. I know there's series where people use both titles, GitS isn't one of them. Neither is FMA.

And this brings me back to OP, because there's one thing you've forgotten. There are series that don't have an actual English title. And I'm not talking about series named after a character, Naruto for example. I'm talking shows like Jujutsu Kaisen. Yes, there's the little "synonyms: Sorcery Fight" thing on it's page, but that's not an official English title as far as I know. And it wouldn't make sense to do your sarcastic suggestion of switching to kanji, because they know most people here can't read that. And who here even has a freakin Japanese keyboard? This is something you're just going to have to deal with until they think it's worth addressing. Which, given how long they can leave an entry "pending" I wouldn't hold your breath.
1 hour ago

Jul 2021
DigiCat said:
@Cestlavie_ You shouldn't have to do extra clicks?

So on a site that does show the english names as the main title, but someone preferes to read the romaji ones, then is it faitr to say they shouldn't have to do extra clicks to get to it?

What kind of spoilt logic is that?

If you don't like the site layout find another one instead of trying in vain to force it to conform to your preferences

It's not spoilt logic it's a simple function that any redeemable foreign site should have. It's like MAL doesn't care to cater to the newcomers in Anime. A normal friendly user base would have the titles displayed in the user's home language is not about being spoilt it's just the standard. Why do u think Anilist is more popular with newcomers.

By the way, people who prefer Kanji can also leave it like that, I'm saying people who prefer in their native language should also have the choice
1 hour ago
Apr 2013
While I agree that such a toggle would be helpful to a minority of people, I also find it funny how you defeat your own argument with the very first statement of how this site has a lot of japanese purists. Also, your argument that just because some, not even all, people use english titles in an english forum doesn't really much sense, because A.) The minority of all MAL users are active forum users, and B.) this is still an international site with users from all over the world, which might have different dubbed titles than you do. As such, the japanese name obviously should be used as the standard, since its the original name.
What you call anime yourself doesn't matter in this situation one bit, I always call it Boku dake ga Inai Machi, or sometimes Inai Machi in spoken short form after using the full name once, and yes, I can even read it as kanji. But the obvious reason why Romaji is used because not everyone has learned japanese yet, or does not even intend to (but yet still use the original title).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Yesterday

24 by Yuno »»
7 minutes ago

» Are you a fan of the Touhou Project series?

DesuMaiden - 14 minutes ago

2 by DesuMaiden »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9412 by Kenny_Stryker »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?

Xypheron - 4 hours ago

25 by TheTrueRedblood »»
16 minutes ago

» Do we need more cooking scenes in anime?

SgtBateMan - Jul 17

34 by Khashishi »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.