Forum Settings
Forums

Cheese Nips and the tragedy of discontinued snacks

New
Jun 17, 11:44 AM

May 2013
I'm coming here today to lament I just learned the fact that Cheese Nips are a discontinued product. Man I love grabbing and nibbling on those cheese nips. Twas the good life.

Another discontinued snack I'm still upset about is Shaq soda. Bunch if different flavored cream soda that was so good. Guzzling down Shaq's cream soda.

Are there any snack foods you miss? I know a classic is crystal Pepsi but I've never had it lol. Ecto cooler? Wonka bar?

Tell me your stories, preferably with silly euphemisms.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jun 17, 12:31 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah...I used to like Cheese Nips too, but Cheez-Its are still fine.

The timing of this thread is interesting, because just yesterday I bought cheese crackers from India at Dollar Tree. They seem to have more natural ingredients and are surprisingly good for something so affordable.

The snack I miss most is my favorite candy: Starburst Fruit Twists from the 1990s. They were like Twizzlers, but so much better in flavor and texture. They were discontinued due to poor sales (no idea why) but some speculate they were paid off so Twizzlers would have less competition.

Jun 17, 12:46 PM

Sep 2016
I miss the times when Coca Cola still had cocaine.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 17, 12:53 PM

Feb 2020
I swear I can remember eating these fairly often

But I don't really remember why? as I don't think they tasted all-that amazing. Perhaps they came free a Comic I'd bought or something? (some comics would come with free candy over here, dunno if that's also a thing elsewhere?), anyway, I guess I don't miss them too badly.
Jun 17, 3:00 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe cheese nips should have thought of a name that didn't make people think about cheesy nipples.

As for what I miss, that chocolate dessert from pizza hut. Chocolate dunkers I think they were called. Whatever it was, I still hate the hut for that. Not enough to stop getting their pizza though....But still.
Jun 17, 3:20 PM

Aug 2014
FanofAction said:
Maybe cheese nips should have thought of a name that didn't make people think about cheesy nipples.

gwahaha XD

They were apparently recalled in 2019 "due to the potential presence of small food-grade yellow plastic pieces from a dough scraper that was incorporated into the production process of a small amount of product." Ironic that such a trivial matter could end a product that's been around since the 1950s.

"They are still sold in Canada by a brand named "Christie" as "Ritz Cheese Nibs" as of 2022, however."
Jun 17, 3:57 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to SmugSatoko
FanofAction said:

gwahaha XD

They were apparently recalled in 2019 "due to the potential presence of small food-grade yellow plastic pieces from a dough scraper that was incorporated into the production process of a small amount of product." Ironic that such a trivial matter could end a product that's been around since the 1950s.

"They are still sold in Canada by a brand named "Christie" as "Ritz Cheese Nibs" as of 2022, however."
@SmugSatoko Go figure Canada still gets them.
Jun 17, 7:46 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to SmugSatoko
Yeah...I used to like Cheese Nips too, but Cheez-Its are still fine.

The timing of this thread is interesting, because just yesterday I bought cheese crackers from India at Dollar Tree. They seem to have more natural ingredients and are surprisingly good for something so affordable.

The snack I miss most is my favorite candy: Starburst Fruit Twists from the 1990s. They were like Twizzlers, but so much better in flavor and texture. They were discontinued due to poor sales (no idea why) but some speculate they were paid off so Twizzlers would have less competition.

SmugSatoko said:

Are Starburst jelly beans still a thing? I only had them once but thought they were better than Jelly Belly.

I ate Amy's pocket sandwiches every day for over a decade, until they discontinued every flavor.
その目だれの目?
Jun 17, 8:14 PM

Aug 2014
Lucifrost said:
Are Starburst jelly beans still a thing? I only had them once but thought they were better than Jelly Belly.

Yeah, I get them from the local supermarket on occasion. The Fruit Twists were so much better than anything Starburst still makes. My favorite Starburst candy that's still made are the Airs Gummies, but they're expensive.
Jun 17, 9:20 PM

Mar 2008
You can get Crystal Pepsi. It was rereleased in mid 2010s so there is plenty around still if you can find it. People have drank older. It tastes a lot like normal Pepsi so it is purely a novelty experience rather than a special flavour.

Pepsi Blue on the other hand is actually a flavour difference. Not much kola nut flavour to it it seems. Supposedly it is still available in the Philippines @deg you seen it?

Sierra Mist which used actual sugar was recently tossed out and replaced with another trash corn syrup drink Starry because we cant have nice things in capitalism. Starry is marketed like a bootleg Sprite and it tastes inferior to Sierra Mist and Sprite both. Pure garbage.

Apparently 1893 was discontinued without me knowing. Another better product that didnt sell enough and gone. The big price didnt help though.

Zarutaku said:
I miss the times when Coca Cola still had cocaine.

They never added cocaine itself just coca leaves so the cocaine content was pretty mild amount. They still use coca leaves. They have a special agreement with the FDA to import coca leaves that have the cocaine removed I heard.
traedJun 17, 9:29 PM
Jun 18, 12:41 AM

Jan 2009
@traed i got no idea dude because i rarely drink soda for years now ever since the sugar tax here made them so expensive
Jun 20, 7:54 AM

Jun 2024
The biscuits and gravy flavored lays chips and the beer cheese flavored lays chips were the best tasting snacks ever made.
Jun 22, 1:28 AM

Aug 2014
doctor said:
I miss the original Scooby Doo Fruit Snacks, They were discontinued in 2015 and both the flavoring and coloring were changed. The new ones taste absolutely atrocious.

That reminds me, the original Shark Bites fruit snacks were among my favorites in the '90s.

...Then, for some inexplicable reason, they made them more or less identical to generic fruit snacks (with that sticky texture and samey taste) and I didn't even like them much anymore. -___-

Nowadays I usually go with Welch's for fruit snacks, since they have real fruit and are better than most of the others.

At least Fruit Gushers have remained the same after all these years...but they're less healthy.
Jun 22, 2:46 AM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
...Then, for some inexplicable reason, they made them more or less identical to generic fruit snacks (with that sticky texture and samey taste) and I didn't even like them much anymore. -___-

Nowadays I usually go with Welch's for fruit snacks, since they have real fruit and are better than most of the others.

At least Fruit Gushers have remained the same after all these years...but they're less healthy.

Never had them but looking it up they originally had fruit puree and no corn syrup and looking up modern ingredients surprise surprise they cheaped out and went to corn syrup and fruit juice concentrate.

Both Welch's fruit snacks and Gushers use fruit concentrate. Both contain bad ingredients like fructose from corn syrup (causes the body to crave more sugar and is one of the worse sugars in it causes glycation in the body more to my recall) and possibly carcinogenic food dyes. Welch's has more variety of the fruit juices used though and added fiber from chicory root so just a small difference. Annie's fruit snacks use brown rice syrup and tapioca syrup instead of corn syrup which is better and they use cane sugar instead of processed sugar which is better and likely more similar to the original Shark Bites for that reason, though they seem different texture and more costly than some other brands due to being an organic brand. Personally I like candied fruit better sometimes.
Jun 22, 1:42 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
Never had them but looking it up they originally had fruit puree and no corn syrup and looking up modern ingredients surprise surprise they cheaped out and went to corn syrup and fruit juice concentrate.

Both Welch's fruit snacks and Gushers use fruit concentrate. Both contain bad ingredients like fructose from corn syrup (causes the body to crave more sugar and is one of the worse sugars in it causes glycation in the body more to my recall) and possibly carcinogenic food dyes. Welch's has more variety of the fruit juices used though and added fiber from chicory root so just a small difference. Annie's fruit snacks use brown rice syrup and tapioca syrup instead of corn syrup which is better and they use cane sugar instead of processed sugar which is better and likely more similar to the original Shark Bites for that reason, though they seem different texture and more costly than some other brands due to being an organic brand. Personally I like candied fruit better sometimes.

Sounds about right. Damn sell-outs...

I wouldn't say it's a small difference between Welch's and Gushers. Briefly trying them is enough to make it obvious how much less healthy Gushers are. Eating lots of them for extended periods makes it even more apparent. Looking at the ingredients, Gushers have a lot more that sound like they came from a laboratory. The ingredients list doesn't tell the full story either, especially since they're allowed to not disclose some and instead list them as natural and artificial flavors. Maybe Welch's has a higher concentration of fruit. Welch's Juicefuls (basically their version of Gushers) are also very obviously less healthy than the normal version; I like them, but they kind of make me feel sick.

And yeah, actual fruit is better, but not always preferable in terms of convenience. Fruit goes bad fairly quickly and can get sabotaged by insects and so on. Dried fruit is also many times more expensive and not nearly as good as nature's rendition.

Even when it comes to packaged fruit snacks, the higher quality ones can be harder to find since they have less market reach in stores. Plus they're pricier.

Although companies opting for cheaper, less healthy ingredients that result in an inferior-tasting product is an alarming trend, it can go the other way too; breakfast cereals like Trix (silly rabbit, lol) used to taste a lot better to me before they switched to whole grain. I believe government subsidies were a prime factor in all these cases, though.

Now I'm thinking of the latest South Park special.

SmugSatokoJun 22, 2:28 PM
Jun 22, 2:51 PM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
Sounds about right. Damn sell-outs...

I wouldn't say it's a small difference between Welch's and Gushers. Briefly trying them is enough to make it obvious how much less healthy Gushers are. Eating lots of them for extended periods makes it even more apparent. The ingredients list doesn't tell the full story, especially since they're allowed to not disclose some ingredients and instead list them as natural and artificial flavors. Maybe Welch's has a higher concentration of fruit. Welch's Juicefuls (basically their version of Gushers) are also very obviously less healthy than the normal version; I like them, but they kind of make me feel sick.

And yeah, actual fruit is better, but not always preferable in terms of convenience. Fruit goes bad fairly quickly and can get sabotaged by insects and so on. Dried fruit is also many times more expensive and not nearly as good as nature's rendition.

Even when it comes to packaged fruit snacks, the higher quality ones can be harder to find since they have less market reach in stores. Plus they're pricier.

Although companies opting for cheaper, less healthy ingredients that result in an inferior-tasting product is an alarming trend, it can go the other way too; breakfast cereals like Trix (silly rabbit, lol) used to taste a lot better to me before they switched to whole grain. I believe government subsidies were a prime factor in all these cases, though.

Now I'm thinking of the latest South Park special.

Yeah true Gushers has this weird taste and texture. I never really liked them and it just feels gross to eat. I don't think companies should even be allowed to have secret ingredients, maybe the exact quantities that's fine to be secret since ingredient order at least tells you an idea how much it might be.

Dried fruit supposedly has most the nutrients as fresh fruit but i havent heavily looked into it. Ive considered getting a dehydrator but nah. I know frozen fruits are as good as fresh unless you're getting stuff form a local farmer's market. What is supposed to make fruit better is the fiber helps prevent some of the absorption of sugar.

Corn seems to be the most subsidized crop in the US. In Europe a lot of the same foods by same companies that would use high fructose corn syrup instead use beet sugar which is not as unhealthy. Beet sugar is pretty comparable to cane sugar. I used to drink Surge (you can actually still get it in cans in some areas) like every day when I was younger then at some point decided to stop and I lost like 20 pounds. Now I only will drink soda if it has cane sugar or just on occasion the corn syrup stuff. Though it isnt just that it's the additives. The US has a lot of cereal with ingredients banned in the EU for being harmful. I think brominated vegetable oil is one but it seems to be taken out of a lot of foods lately. Some cereal it tears the inside of your mouth up from the rough texture too which I always found odd.

I didnt know South Park did a special that covered the food industry like that.
Jun 22, 3:45 PM

Jun 2016
I miss fruit-flavored Altoids. I used to collect the tin cans they came in, I still have a few.
Jun 22, 3:50 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
Yeah true Gushers has this weird taste and texture. I never really liked them and it just feels gross to eat. I don't think companies should even be allowed to have secret ingredients, maybe the exact quantities that's fine to be secret since ingredient order at least tells you an idea how much it might be.

Dried fruit supposedly has most the nutrients as fresh fruit but i havent heavily looked into it. Ive considered getting a dehydrator but nah. I know frozen fruits are as good as fresh unless you're getting stuff form a local farmer's market. What is supposed to make fruit better is the fiber helps prevent some of the absorption of sugar.

Corn seems to be the most subsidized crop in the US. In Europe a lot of the same foods by same companies that would use high fructose corn syrup instead use beet sugar which is not as unhealthy. Beet sugar is pretty comparable to cane sugar. I used to drink Surge (you can actually still get it in cans in some areas) like every day when I was younger then at some point decided to stop and I lost like 20 pounds. Now I only will drink soda if it has cane sugar or just on occasion the corn syrup stuff. Though it isnt just that it's the additives. The US has a lot of cereal with ingredients banned in the EU for being harmful. I think brominated vegetable oil is one but it seems to be taken out of a lot of foods lately. Some cereal it tears the inside of your mouth up from the rough texture too which I always found odd.

I didnt know South Park did a special that covered the food industry like that.

I always liked Gushers, but only every once in awhile. They're overwhelmingly sweet.

I suspect they still have to show the relevant authorities the full ingredients for safety purposes. The reason they wouldn't want it all to be publicly known is that trade secrets give each brand an advantage in the market, making it harder to copy them.

I don't know the technical causes, but fresh fruit is considerably better than dried overall. The juice and texture is a big part of the experience, especially with ones like peaches.

I was actually going to mention Surge in reply to your soda post. I drank Surge back in the day too. I definitely want to get it again, but it's hard to find now.

Nowadays I mostly drink Mountain Dew when it comes to soda. (Or energy drinks like Monster Nitro and Red Bull when my budget is higher.) Unfortunately, I'm addicted and need them every day just to function normally. I plan on replacing them with a healthy lifestyle eventually, but that will take a lot of time and effort.

Mountain Dew removed BVO from their ingredients in the US not too long ago. They have a real sugar version but you'd have to go out of your way to get it.

As for losing weight, I have a fast metabolism. I'm skinny and can eat anything I want without even gaining a pound.

Long-running cartoons like South Park and The Simpsons have covered just about every imaginable topic. I've seen all 300+ episodes of the former. The latter has over 700 episodes. I plan on watching them all someday, but only after many other series.
SmugSatokoJun 22, 4:17 PM
Jun 22, 4:57 PM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
I suspect they still have to show the relevant authorities the full ingredients for safety purposes. The reason they wouldn't want it all to be publicly known is that trade secrets give each brand an advantage in the market, making it harder to copy them.

I wouldnt count on it. The FDA doesnt even regulate if supplements contain what they claim they do which is why you have to rely on third party testing. People that work for these food companies are sometimes part of the FDA so it is corrupt.

SmugSatoko said:
I was actually going to mention Surge in reply to your soda post. I drank Surge back in the day too. I definitely want to get it again, but it's hard to find now.

It is sold in South Eastern states. I can get it where I am. I havent gotten any in a while but may grab a can if i am by a vending machine instead of buying a whole case if they still sell it by the case. I heard you can get it on Amazon.

SmugSatoko said:
Nowadays I mostly drink Mountain Dew when it comes to soda. (Or energy drinks like Monster Nitro and Red Bull when my budget is higher.) Unfortunately, I'm addicted and need them every day just to function normally. I plan on replacing them with a healthy lifestyle eventually, but that will take a lot of time and effort.

Mountain Dew removed BVO from their ingredients in the US not too long ago. They have a real sugar version but you'd have to go out of your way to get it.

There is a fruit punch flavoured Mountain Dew Southern Shock they only sell at Bojangles. I kind of like the Sweet Lightning they have at KFC but it has a little bit of an aftertaste from the sugar replacement in it.

Yeah I was getting Mountain Dew Throwback a while but stopped seeing it around even though i havent seen any info indicating it was discontinued and had noticed they took out the BVO likely because of the European market they had to remove it anyway and found it did fine without it I guess. I am not sure why Pepsi Throwback became Pepsi with Real Sugar which even has slightly different ingredients and doesnt taste as good.

Energy drinks are pricey so I dont know how you manage your addiction. Home brewed coffee is cheaper and as long as it is paper filtered brewed in glass or ceramic it is fairly healthy deoending on how it is sweetened after if any (one trick is tiny pinch of salt to cut bitterness). I also drink matcha green tea but it is expensive but highest caffeine drink aside from coffee and the l theanine mellows out caffein jitters. The taurine in energy drinks is healthy but they dont put anywhere near enough it is better supplemented along with glycine since people often dont get enough from diet. I usually get Bang or Hi Ball Energy Seltzer / Energy Drink if I do get an energy drink and occasionally Monster or whatever is on sale.

SmugSatoko said:
Long-running cartoons like South Park and The Simpsons have covered just about every imaginable topic. I've seen all 300+ episodes of the former. The latter has over 700 episodes. I plan on watching them all someday, but only after many other series.

I used to watch the Simpsons weekly till it got dull and i just stopped and only check in now and then, at some point it did get funny again though. South Park I never liked that much but wind up watching it a lot anyway since can be pretty funny sometimes while really dumbly annoying others.
Jun 22, 5:17 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
Yeah I was getting Mountain Dew Throwback a while but stopped seeing it around even though i havent seen any info indicating it was discontinued

It was renamed to Mountain Dew Real Sugar. (Though they could have changed the ingredients again. Didn't check.) It's easy to find online, but not in many supermarkets.

Energy drinks are pricey so I dont know how you manage your addiction.

Yes, they are stupidly expensive. A 12 ounce can of Red Bull is nearly $3. But perhaps you didn't notice when I posted about how I have owned a quarter million dollars worth of audio gear. hehe

Home brewed coffee is cheaper and as long as it is paper filtered brewed in glass or ceramic it is fairly healthy deoending on how it is sweetened after if any (one trick is tiny pinch of salt to cut bitterness). I also drink matcha green tea but it is expensive but highest caffeine drink aside from coffee and the l theanine mellows out caffein jitters. The taurine in energy drinks is healthy but they dont put anywhere near enough it is better supplemented along with glycine since people often dont get enough from diet. I usually get Bang or Hi Ball Energy Seltzer / Energy Drink if I do get an energy drink and occasionally Monster or whatever is on sale.

I drink coffee to relax. (Or when I'm in the mood for certain flavors.) I can't use coffee for energy purposes because energy drinks altered my body chemistry too much, so now even strong coffee (including energy drink coffee like Java Monster) is too weak for me. Black espresso can make me sleepy. Tea is another I only drink for pleasure. The tea you mentioned has very low caffeine compared to energy drinks.

Bang is one of those zero sugar zero calories drinks I can't stand. The artificial sweeteners (and other ingredients) make me feel terrible, plus they taste strange to me. Their unique flavors are good...too bad I can't properly enjoy them.

I used to watch the Simpsons weekly till it got dull and i just stopped and only check in now and then, at some point it did get funny again though. South Park I never liked that much but wind up watching it a lot anyway since can be pretty funny sometimes while really dumbly annoying others.

Yeah, most series that long become less fresh over time. But there are still great new episodes from time to time, like the one that parodied Death Note. (That one's a must watch.)

South Park is my #1 western cartoon. It's pure creative genius, easily surpassing most anime. (But too many anime fans don't have the patience to watch enough of it to realize that, and the silly art style can be off-putting.) No anime has communicated even one percent of the ideas South Park has, and few western series can compare in that regard either. Thanks to their production techniques that allow them to create new episodes quickly, they are also the only popular animated series that can make social commentary on current events shortly after they happen.
SmugSatokoJun 22, 5:59 PM
Jun 22, 6:28 PM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
It was renamed to Mountain Dew Real Sugar. (Though they could have changed the ingredients again. Didn't check.) It's easy to find online, but not in many supermarkets.

Then Im guessing the ingredients change like Pepsi Throwback to Real Sugar became. The change was small but I noticed the difference. Weird it doesnt sell well since it actually doesnt really cost much more if any.

SmugSatoko said:
Yes, they are stupidly expensive. A 12 ounce can of Red Bull is nearly $3. But perhaps you didn't notice when I posted about how I have owned a quarter million dollars worth of audio gear. hehe

Yeah something that lasts is different from a daily expense. Which reminds me there also is some expensive Mountain Dew variety I forgot the name of i think it was white label and black label I havent seen a while, though i rarely leave the house.

SmugSatoko said:
I drink coffee to relax. (Or when I'm in the mood for certain flavors.) Even black espresso can make me sleepy. I can't use coffee for energy purposes because energy drinks altered my body chemistry too much, so now even strong coffee is too weak for me. Tea is another I only drink for pleasure.

Bang is one of those zero sugar zero calories drinks I can't stand. The artificial sweeteners (and other ingredients) make me feel terrible, plus they taste strange to me.

I find coffee relaxing too. It improves my mood, I found it has an amusing effect to pair that with 15 to 30mg saffron. You would have to gradually decline the caffeine intake at a hyperbolic curve dosage reduction and your brain should adjust.

I dont really like sucrolose either but eh it's cheapest energy drink there is and has BCAA and creatine which for some reason makes it more effective on me. Some time I want to get ahold of miracle berry tablets and play around with those, it is supposed to block your bitter receptors so it makes stuff taste sweet. It's more a novelty than a sugar substitute. Supposedly allulose is healthy, it's the mirror form of fructose, I have to find some product with it in it some time to see how it tastes.

SmugSatoko said:
Yeah, most series that long become less fresh over time. But there are still great new episodes from time to time, like the one that parodied Death Note. (That one's a must watch.)

South Park is my #1 western cartoon. It's pure creative genius, easily surpassing most anime. (But too many anime fans don't have the patience to watch enough of it to realize that, and the silly art style can be off-putting.) No anime has communicated even one percent of the ideas South Park has, and few western series can compare in that regard either. Thanks to their production techniques that allow them to create new episodes quickly, they are also the only popular animated series that can make social commentary on current events shortly after they happen.

Yeah I saw that one.

Sometimes, other times it just seems like it's not even making any real point since it makes fun of everything at times.
Jun 22, 6:38 PM

Aug 2014
traed said:
it's cheapest energy drink there is

What?! Bang is not cheap. It's around $2 for 16 ounces, which is about average. There are many cheaper ones. Rip It is a notable one, which can often be found for not much more than a dollar.

traed said:
other times it just seems like it's not even making any real point since it makes fun of everything at times.

I love their style of making fun of everyone and everything, including themselves. But with so many episodes, the quality can vary a lot, with some episodes being far better than others. I know a lot about it, so if you're confused about what the point was for a certain episode or scene, feel free to post a comment on my profile.
Jun 22, 6:45 PM

Mar 2008
SmugSatoko said:
What?! Bang is not cheap. It's around $2 for 16 ounces, which is about average. There are many cheaper ones. Rip It is a notable one, which can often be found for not much more than a dollar.

I havent seen one cheaper where I am and it's a bit cheaper here to my recall but I also dont grocery shop at many stores or do so very often. Id have to look around what is available around here, though im better off not drinking energy drinks unless there is some that are kinda healthy.

SmugSatoko said:
I love their style of making fun of everyone and everything, including themselves. But with so many episodes, the quality can vary a lot, with some episodes being far better than others. I know a lot about it, so if you're confused about what the point was for a certain episode or scene, feel free to post a comment on my profile.

Maybe if one comes to mind lol
Jun 28, 10:19 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Reply to SmugSatoko
doctor said:
I miss the original Scooby Doo Fruit Snacks, They were discontinued in 2015 and both the flavoring and coloring were changed. The new ones taste absolutely atrocious.

That reminds me, the original Shark Bites fruit snacks were among my favorites in the '90s.

Damn, really? I used to have those (until I decided that Cheez-Its are better).

@SmugSatoko
Man, this brings me back, I haven't thought about these in ages. Sad to hear they're discontinued, because I really liked them (especially how different the white ones tasted).

More topics from this board

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships? ( 1 2 )

Amityblight - Sep 20

57 by lalabella »»
14 minutes ago

» Tired of social relationships

EmiliaHoarfrost - Sep 22

31 by lalabella »»
22 minutes ago

» How often do you go to the gym or workout in general?

ZakuF_ - Yesterday

16 by Icymatika »»
25 minutes ago

» do you ever feel like not forgetting the person you liked in your past?

FruitPunchBaka - May 25

18 by Zarutaku »»
30 minutes ago

» I believe in solipsism. Is that crazy?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

32 by SmugSatoko »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.