Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 27, 12:39 AM

Nov 2020
What are your favourite Pokémon games of all time, rank your top 3 and what starters you chose for those games, also feel free to mention why these games are you're favourite

Ive recently replayed some Pokémon games on the emulators and I just got a surge or nostalgia from my childhood, Most of the Pokemon games still hold up to this day and are really fun to play. I haven't played any Pokemon games after XY so im not sure how good they really are but Ive heard some ppl like them and others not so much.

My top 3 is;

1. Platinum - Chimchar
2. Black 2 - Oshawott
3. Emerald - Torchic

Honourable mention; Soul Silver

Pg13_May 27, 12:43 AM
“Maybe nothing in this world happens by accident. As everything happens for a reason, our destiny slowly takes form.” - Rayleigh

May 27, 12:53 AM

Apr 2013
I'm old enough to have started with the very first generation, so I'm biased with the old games.

1. Pokemon Gold - Totodile
One of the best sequels to any game ever. Not only did it improve move sets and add two new types which finally put Psychic in its place, but also the possiblity to go back to Kanto was great.
2. Pokemon Red - Charmander
The OG where it all started, the original 151 Pokemon are still the best.
3. Pokemon X - Fennekin
I read that a lot of people liked Black/White and disliked X/Y, but for me it's actually the opposite. I had a lot of fun in Kalos.
May 27, 1:03 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Gator
I'm old enough to have started with the very first generation, so I'm biased with the old games.

1. Pokemon Gold - Totodile
One of the best sequels to any game ever. Not only did it improve move sets and add two new types which finally put Psychic in its place, but also the possiblity to go back to Kanto was great.
2. Pokemon Red - Charmander
The OG where it all started, the original 151 Pokemon are still the best.
3. Pokemon X - Fennekin
I read that a lot of people liked Black/White and disliked X/Y, but for me it's actually the opposite. I had a lot of fun in Kalos.
@Gator It's great to hear from someone who has played the first generation games, I also agree that the Dark and Steel Pokemon types that were introduced in gold helped balance the game and make it more enjoyable and anytime you are revisiting Kanto it's always a good time. The original 151 Pokemon have that special something because for me no other generation can match the nostalgia I feel with the 1st gen. I personally enjoyed Pokemon X when I played it on my 3ds and I also chose Fennekin as my starter

Its also crazy to think about how many mainline Pokemon games have come out over the years, if I had to guess I think there are probably 30+
“Maybe nothing in this world happens by accident. As everything happens for a reason, our destiny slowly takes form.” - Rayleigh

May 27, 1:20 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to Pg13_
@Gator It's great to hear from someone who has played the first generation games, I also agree that the Dark and Steel Pokemon types that were introduced in gold helped balance the game and make it more enjoyable and anytime you are revisiting Kanto it's always a good time. The original 151 Pokemon have that special something because for me no other generation can match the nostalgia I feel with the 1st gen. I personally enjoyed Pokemon X when I played it on my 3ds and I also chose Fennekin as my starter

Its also crazy to think about how many mainline Pokemon games have come out over the years, if I had to guess I think there are probably 30+
@Pg13_ I really liked Fennekin, definitely one of my favorite starters. Fire and Psychic are some of my favorite types, having Mystical Fire and Psychic in the move set was super cool.

I think that depends if you count Red, Blue and Yellow as separate games, there really is not that much difference between them. Though 9 generations of Pokemon certainly mean a lot of games being released, with the Legends spinoffs being quite similar to actual main games as well, aside from almost no new Pokemon appearing.
I hope GameFreak really goes all out of the 10th generation, Scarlet/Violet was unfortunately a step back from Sword/Shield imo.
May 27, 1:29 AM

Sep 2023
I only played the first four generations, I think, but I liked Pokemon Pearl/Diamond. Being on the DS made the graphics a step up and much more immersive. I really liked the dive ability too haha
It used to be WTF is meaning, all I know is loyalty.
Now it's all I know is meaning, and I'm loyal to that.
May 27, 2:39 AM
Niyama Forever

Dec 2021
Crystal - Totodile
White - Oshawott
Sun - Rowlet

I lost interest after Sun and Moon, though
It's fun to emulate for the nostalgia but I kinda moved onto different JRPGs, sorry Pokémon 😭
May 27, 3:26 AM

Sep 2016
  1. Platinum
  2. Crystal
  3. Emerald
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 27, 10:03 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Gator
@Pg13_ I really liked Fennekin, definitely one of my favorite starters. Fire and Psychic are some of my favorite types, having Mystical Fire and Psychic in the move set was super cool.

I think that depends if you count Red, Blue and Yellow as separate games, there really is not that much difference between them. Though 9 generations of Pokemon certainly mean a lot of games being released, with the Legends spinoffs being quite similar to actual main games as well, aside from almost no new Pokemon appearing.
I hope GameFreak really goes all out of the 10th generation, Scarlet/Violet was unfortunately a step back from Sword/Shield imo.
@Gator Also I don't know if you heard but the next Pokemon games that is releasing in 2025 called, Pokémon Legends: Z-A is going to be set in the Kalos region so if you do decide to get the game im am sure you will enjoy it. The starters haven't been revealed but from the predictions I have seen many people believe Snivy, Scourbunny, and Piplup will be the 3 starters.

May 27, 10:05 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Zharux11
I only played the first four generations, I think, but I liked Pokemon Pearl/Diamond. Being on the DS made the graphics a step up and much more immersive. I really liked the dive ability too haha
@Zharux11 I also really liked Pokemon Diamond and Pearl but for some reason in the Pokemon community it's not rated as highly as you would think. On most people's top games it usually placed towards the Botton half of the list. Im not too sure why they dislike it but at least I enjoyed it

May 27, 10:06 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
  1. Platinum
  2. Crystal
  3. Emerald
@Zarutaku Lets goo! We both got Platinum and Emerald in our top 3

May 28, 5:04 AM

Oct 2021
1. Platinum - Piplup

Diamond was my very first own Pokemon game and Platinum has managed to make many things better. Sinnoh overall is a beautiful region. You were able to do ton of stuffs and the trainers weren't too easy either. Piplup is my very first starter and I like to pick it up in most of my Playthroughs as well. I also have been playing with Turtwig and Chimchar, but I enjoy playing with Piplup more.

2. Pokemon Emerald - Treecko

Pokemon Emerald is arguably the Pokemon game, I have been playing the second most. I have been playing with all starters here as well, but playing with Treecko is the most fun, because it's fast, and its signature move, Leaf Blade, is very strong. There aren't many strong grass type pokemon in this generation, so it's really worth to go with it.

3. Pokemon B2/W2 - Oshawott

I'm currently playing Pokemon Black 2 again, and it's really underrated. The previous edition was already an underrated game, but now you have even a bigger pool of pokemon to choose from during your adventure. Also, the region is very beautiful with unique cities and beautiful landscapes.

Honorable mentions:

Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver - Cyndaquil

I would have included it into the Top 3 if I haven't been playing Soulsilver just once. Being able to play in two regions with a lot of stuff going on and many daily activities, it hardly becomes boring to play this game. Seeing your pokemon following you is such a nice feature. Idk why they haven't kept it.

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - Sprigatito

Playing Pokemon Scarlet has brought something back I was really missing. Discovering areas without knowing what's coming next. Having to watch out for pokemon, which might be interesting to you, especially shiny pokemon, was such a pleasure. The region is also very beautiful with many different kinds of areas, interesting cities and characters. Even though there isn't much to do after the main story, the main story itself has brought me the experience of me as a small child, who really enjoys playing pokemon, again.
Ricchan__May 28, 11:32 PM
May 28, 10:12 AM
Mar 2016
1. Silver/Gold
2. Silver/Gold
3. Silver/Gold
May 28, 11:57 AM

Sep 2020
white 2-oshawott(i have played once with each starter and i prefer snivy)
emerald- treecko
platinum- chimchar
May 28, 9:47 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to Ricchan__
1. Platinum - Piplup

Diamond was my very first own Pokemon game and Platinum has managed to make many things better. Sinnoh overall is a beautiful region. You were able to do ton of stuffs and the trainers weren't too easy either. Piplup is my very first starter and I like to pick it up in most of my Playthroughs as well. I also have been playing with Turtwig and Chimchar, but I enjoy playing with Piplup more.

2. Pokemon Emerald - Treecko

Pokemon Emerald is arguably the Pokemon game, I have been playing the second most. I have been playing with all starters here as well, but playing with Treecko is the most fun, because it's fast, and its signature move, Leaf Blade, is very strong. There aren't many strong grass type pokemon in this generation, so it's really worth to go with it.

3. Pokemon B2/W2 - Oshawott

I'm currently playing Pokemon Black 2 again, and it's really underrated. The previous edition was already an underrated game, but now you have even a bigger pool of pokemon to choose from during your adventure. Also, the region is very beautiful with unique cities and beautiful landscapes.

Honorable mentions:

Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver - Cyndaquil

I would have included it into the Top 3 if I haven't been playing Soulsilver just once. Being able to play in two regions with a lot of stuff going on and many daily activities, it hardly becomes boring to play this game. Seeing your pokemon following you is such a nice feature. Idk why they haven't kept it.

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - Sprigatito

Playing Pokemon Scarlet has brought something back I was really missing. Discovering areas without knowing what's coming next. Having to watch out for pokemon, which might be interesting to you, especially shiny pokemon, was such a pleasure. The region is also very beautiful with many different kinds of areas, interesting cities and characters. Even though there isn't much to do after the main story, the main story itself has brought me the experience of me as a small child, who really enjoys playing pokemon, again.
@Ricchan__ Great choices, after hearing what you had to say about Scarlet/Violet I might have to give the game a try. I've havent played any Pokemon games after XY so I might give Scarlet/Violet a chance. I've also recently started a playthrough of Pokemon Emerald after so many years and the only problem I have is the Pokemon that are available in the early stages of the game cause I doubt really want to catch them if that makes any sense. Like in other Pokemon games there are some really cool and good pokemons that you could catch and want to catch. Other than my starter and a few pokemons to to use my HM moves I've only wanted catch Skarmory so far.

May 28, 9:48 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to Firwik_Howlo
1. Silver/Gold
2. Silver/Gold
3. Silver/Gold
@Firwik_Howlo After Im done playing emerald again Im definitely going to either play Pokemon Platinum or HGSS.

May 28, 9:50 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to Rndmguypassingby
white 2-oshawott(i have played once with each starter and i prefer snivy)
emerald- treecko
platinum- chimchar
@Rndmguypassingby Nice top 3, have you played any of the "newer" pokemon games or played any of the older games in the last few years?

May 29, 12:57 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to Pg13_
@Rndmguypassingby Nice top 3, have you played any of the "newer" pokemon games or played any of the older games in the last few years?

@Pg13_ i have only played yellow, ill play green soon and silver and for the newer games i did start X but had to drop it for some reason andi was also kinda getting bored, i will prob play it soon tho as for the ones followed by sun and moon i don't think i will play them anytime soon
Jun 14, 4:28 AM

Apr 2023
Same, I played Pokemon games since Gold version. I completed the earlier Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games too.

Emerald - Because of the battle frontier
Legends Arceus - Unique mechanics
Heart Gold - So much content

I always chose fire type starters because the type seemed to be rare, can easily get an alternative grass and water Pokemon to the team.
Jun 14, 4:17 PM

Oct 2009
Gen 1 and 2 are the best. Gen 3 is pretty good but pretty much everything beyond gen 2 lacked the charm the first 2 gens did. Coincidentally, the creator of Pokémon retired after gen 2.

Jun 14, 4:29 PM
May 2012
1: Fire Red/Leaf Green. My favorite starter is Squirtle because I own a turtle named Squirtle, lol. Also, Squirtle is really strong.

2: Heart Gold/Soul Silver. My starter is Cyndaquil because Choice Specs Fire Blast pwns everything. I love these games a WHOLE lot more than Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby.

3: Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby. I like Mudkip because he has almost no weaknesses. These games have a lot of flaws but I love taking on the Elite 4 with a powerful legendary Pokemon.
Jun 14, 5:59 PM

Oct 2023
Reply to Pg13_
@Gator Also I don't know if you heard but the next Pokemon games that is releasing in 2025 called, Pokémon Legends: Z-A is going to be set in the Kalos region so if you do decide to get the game im am sure you will enjoy it. The starters haven't been revealed but from the predictions I have seen many people believe Snivy, Scourbunny, and Piplup will be the 3 starters.

@Pg13_ I'm genuinely excited for the release! I love the Kalos region, it's literally my favourite region out of all the others. I don't know exactly why, perhaps it's nostalgia from playing Y.
Fun fact: My forum avatar/pfp is a drug addicted alcoholic man who's probably went through mid-life crisis 3 times :3
Jun 14, 6:00 PM

Oct 2023
My favorite Pokemone games have got to be Y, Moon, and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Fun fact: My forum avatar/pfp is a drug addicted alcoholic man who's probably went through mid-life crisis 3 times :3
Jun 15, 10:08 AM

Jul 2017
I don’t think I really have a favorite mainline Pokemon game tbh. If I were to put all of the ones that I’ve played on a tier list, I feel like most of them belong in the same two or three tiers. There wasn’t really one in particular that stood out above the rest.

As for starter choices, here are all of my starters for all the Pokemon games I've played: 

Crystal: Totodile 
Emerald: Treecko 
Leaf Green: Charmander 
Platinum: Chimchar
Soul Silver: Totodile
Black: Oshawott
X: Fennekin
Omega Ruby: Treecko 
Moon: Popplio 
Shield: Scorbunny 
Scarlet: Sprigatito

Looking back, I should've chosen Rowlet over Popplio, and Cyndaquil over Totodile, but it wasn't so obvious to me at the time.

Also, I have yet to complete Scarlet, but I’ll definitely complete it, hopefully by the end of this year. 👌
Jun 18, 1:35 PM

Jul 2013
Probably Pokemon Red and Yellow for the original Game Boy.
Jun 18, 1:36 PM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
1. Pokémon diamond
2. Pokemon Ruby
3. Pokemon Black 2

Since I’ve played every Pokemon game now, here’s the starters I chose
Red and blue: Squirtle
Gold and silver: Cyndaquil
Ruby and sapphire: Mudkip
Diamond and pearl: Piplup
Black and white: Oshawatt
X and Y: Froakie
Sun and moon: Litten
Sword and shield: Sobble
Scarlet and violet: Sprigatito
AverageRiceFanJun 18, 1:39 PM
Jun 19, 12:47 AM

Aug 2020
Top 3, I'd have to say:

Legends Arceus - Cyndaquil (but I feel like Oshawott is the best choice, I just really wanted to see Hisuian Typhlosion)
Simply, I think this is the best vision of what The Pokemon Company sees Pokemon being, which is catch Pokemon and explore the region. Surprisingly a fun gameplay loop and theres actual tension of losing which is absent in the series outside of PvP. Combat system could be better and it was missing the good ol' Pokemon bgm (it was more ambient music), but I think throwing Pokeballs and avoiding Pokemon with your character makes up for it.

HeartGold - Totodile
I'd pick Gold and I even prefer gen 2 artstyle and sprites, but these remakes actually improved from even Crystal so yea. Love what the extra storybit and exclusive bgm they gave Ho-oh (and Lugia ofc). Battle Frontier at its glory, all the good stuff of the original Johto games plus all the QoL of gen 4 like Phys/Special split, gym rematches, double battles, etc. Johto really goes out of its way to give that "immersion through gameplay" feeling like the exp curve making it NOT easy to level making it feel like the NPCs are above you (which they should be), in-game events tied to the time of day and day of the week, phone calls from NPCs, Pokemon following you, roaming legendaries. Not saying that "we need to go back to the old days" since some of this stuff wont be a good idea, but they should really do something about the out of control exp gain in newer games..

Emerald - Torchic
I'd put Platinum but I really preferred Emerald and not having stupid fog or needing Rock Climb. Like...sure you need Whirlpool and Dive in Hoenn, but thats for the last stretch only. Gen 4 has way more HM usage. But yea aside from Platinum, Emerald is the one of the only couple of enhanced versions that actually make it worth buying again when you've bought the first versions already (B2W2 are sequels). First introduction of an end game of sorts with Battle Frontier, first introduction of abilities and abilities working in overworld, double battle introduction and rematch with gym leader introduction, secret bases were cool, and we can catch all the legendaries. Sadly, all enhanced versions make the game easier with a lot more options for your team and lower levels/team changes on hard bosses like the Champions, so its down here.
Keep scrolling
Jun 19, 12:53 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to Pg13_
@Zharux11 I also really liked Pokemon Diamond and Pearl but for some reason in the Pokemon community it's not rated as highly as you would think. On most people's top games it usually placed towards the Botton half of the list. Im not too sure why they dislike it but at least I enjoyed it
Its because on actual hardware, it had super slow menu scrolling that makes Scarlet and Violet's fps problems seem like nothing in comparison. Platinum fixed that, but still has the slow HP loss thing going on.
Keep scrolling
Jun 20, 8:04 AM

Oct 2009
Alright boys, I dusted off the ol' new 3ds xl and modded it w/ some cfw (btw, very easy). Using NDS forwarder to natively play DS games from my home screen. So now I'm replaying Pokemon Soul Silver. It's too bad the 3ds xl has such a bad upscaler but I can get used to it. I considered buying a heavily used dsi xl and replacing the screens but apparently I need a soldering gun for the top screen. Not doing that. Does anyone have experience increasing video quality w/ TWiLightMenu? NDS Forwarder is a very basic DS tool.

After Soul Silver, I'm playing Omega Ruby, then White, then Black 2.

Jul 13, 7:23 AM
Mar 2023
I only played Sword, Shining Pearl, Legend Arceus and Violet but I watched many gameplays of older games on Youtube my favourites probably are X and Y, Legends Arceus and Black and White
Jul 13, 10:29 PM

Jun 2024
Pokemon Yellow- All starters.

Pokemon Crystal- Todotile

Pokemon Emerald- Mudkip(all time favorite starter)

Pokemon Platinum- Turtwig.

Well this is my favorite Pokemon game bonus with stater.
Aug 2, 3:54 AM

Jul 2024
Pokemon Yellow: Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle

Pokemon Crystal: Cyndaquil

Pokemon Emerald: Mudkip

Pokemon Platinum: Turtwig

Pokemon White: Tepig

Pokemon Black 2: Tepig

Pokemon X : Froakie

Pokemon Ultra Sun: Popplio
Aug 2, 8:10 AM

Oct 2015
Pokemon Emerald Hands down

No I'm not copying anyone!
Aug 6, 4:42 AM

Jul 2013
I've only played Pokemon Red and Yellow, so my experience with Pokemon is rather limited.
Aug 10, 3:26 AM

Jul 2024
I'll list the pokemon ganes I've played along with said starters.

Pokemon Blue - Charmander
Pokemon Silver - Totodile
Pokemon Ruby - Treecko
Pokemon Emerald - Torchic
Pokemon FireRed - Squirtle
Pokemon Pearl - Piplup
Pokemon SoulSilver - Totodile
Pokemon X - Chespin
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire - Treecko
Pokemon Ultra Sun - Rowlet
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond - Piplup
"Tentacles! Why did it have to be tentacles?!"

More topics from this board

» Overwatch 2 x My Hero Academia | Collaboration Trailer

Old_School_Akira - 6 hours ago

2 by Mualani »»
42 minutes ago

» California’s new law forces digital stores to admit you’re just licensing content, not buying it

deg - 6 hours ago

4 by rohan121 »»
1 hour ago

» Minecraft???

_spoon_ - Nov 21, 2021

24 by VampireLord1024 »»
4 hours ago

» Microsoft Office 2013+ on Linux

Agamendon - Jan 14, 2022

13 by RudeRedis »»
7 hours ago

» Thoughts on Zelda/Switch games?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

4 by lucjan »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.