Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 3, 2:11 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Sealshark122
I love all bl sometimes the more messed up they are the more I enjoy them
Sometimes the fluffy romance slice of life one's are really boring
@Sealshark122, yes, me too, I also like to read messed up BL stories sometimes.
MemoreMay 4, 4:30 AM
May 3, 6:42 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to Lucifrost
Mishiia said:
Idk if there men that make fetishize BL genre.

Manga drawn by gay men tends to be a smaller niche.
https://myanimelist.net/people/8697/Gengorou_Tagame
https://myanimelist.net/people/11205/Itto
@Lucifrost more muscle than being feminized draw?( Usually as the'uke')
May 4, 7:55 AM
Community Mod
Entranced

Mar 2022
Thread cleaned

The thread is about BL, not your problems with the LGBTQIA+.

Stay on topic.
May 4, 8:16 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Mishiia
@Lucifrost more muscle than being feminized draw?( Usually as the'uke')
@Mishiia, in bara there are usually very muscular men.
May 4, 8:27 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to Maou_heika
I don't like the genre exactly for the reasons mentioned in the original post. BL often romanticizes abusive and non-consensual relationships as cute and desirable and fans often defend these abusers and rapists by interpreting these scenes as the victim having internalized homophobia and/or being in denial, rape and violence is hardly ever depicted in negative light. The authors add to this shit by showing the victim blushing when he's being violated to give the atmosphere that he secretly wanted it and there are no consequences to these acts, the victim is back and interacting with his rapist/abuser as if these things never happened in the next scene. What really made me hate BL though was its fans, you aren't allowed to criticize such relationships otherwise fujoshis/fudanshis will immediately label you homophobic and I've seen plenty of them going to lengths to prove that their toxic relationship is "representation", and this doesn't come just from straight girls but from gay men as well.

Although most of the recent adaptations have been better ones, I didn't like SasaMiya because I'm not fond of fudanshi characters but they had a great relationship, CherryMaho was pretty good too. Given would have been good if not for the sexual assault in the movie. Not fond of unscientific things like omegaverse, I'm only watching it because Toshiyuki Morikawa is voicing a character in it but the relationship depicted so far is a good one. Even so these kind of titles are very few in number and do not represent the entire genre, my overall opinion of the genre will most likely continue to remain negative till its fans stop pushing toxic relationships under the guise of promoting LGBT.
@Maou_heika i don't get why people trash on given for that scene.
There is a difference compared to standard BL
It was never romanticized/fetishized, as kaji also expressed CLEAR guilt, it was perfectly in character and their circumstances (seeing kaji's state of mind due to his situationship) were also realistic and not "unnecessary". Later they even talked things out like adults, i don't see why it's a huge problem, do you want every single character to be mary sue goody goody?
Comparing it to trash bl which make is made out to be romantic with no consequences is just so wrong lmao.
Blueberry173May 4, 8:37 AM
May 4, 9:05 AM

Mar 2012
Reply to Blueberry173
@Maou_heika i don't get why people trash on given for that scene.
There is a difference compared to standard BL
It was never romanticized/fetishized, as kaji also expressed CLEAR guilt, it was perfectly in character and their circumstances (seeing kaji's state of mind due to his situationship) were also realistic and not "unnecessary". Later they even talked things out like adults, i don't see why it's a huge problem, do you want every single character to be mary sue goody goody?
Comparing it to trash bl which make is made out to be romantic with no consequences is just so wrong lmao.
@Blueberry173 Assault is assault no matter what the reason and they end up being a couple in the end which I don't want to see. The fact that the author has to use such a plot device to get them together puts it on the same level as other trashy BL. I hate goody-two-shoes characters but if I have to choose between a sexual offender and a goody-two-shoes I'll most definitely pick the goody-two-shoes any day.
May 4, 5:24 PM

Oct 2022
I dunno I thought Stranger By the Shore was definitely fetishized. I think I started Sasaki & Miyano a while ago but didn't get past the first episode.

I loved Love Stage as probably my favorite BL show, mostly because I enjoyed the characters and that it actually portrayed gay relationships as *gasp* DIFFERENT THAN hetero ones.

The problems with BL are no different than with all the other genres- it's a current-day attitude that shows need to be made exactly for a specific audience and to deliver ONLY what the specific audience is supposed to expect- and EXACTLY that and nothing more. So you get game-adaptations that are literally- just playthroughs OF THE GAME. You get manga adaptations that adapt exact chapters and cannot stray an inch from the source material. In fact most people bitch when the writers develop an imagination and do anything remotely different. Yuri stories have to feature high school girls in skirts, and BL are made for women audiences who want to see young men with THICCC.... necks... in suits, and it's all very formulaic. Next they want Gae Secks... and Stranger By the Shore delivers that after a wait of 30 minutes perhaps.... A good BL will exist when someone decides to:

write an original story that isn't like any of the others.
May 4, 5:35 PM

Apr 2024
As someone who enjoys BL I can successfully say it's in a pretty bad shape (Depending on what you define is bad)
Instead of normalizing, it's just fetishizing it for the girls to start fangirling
The fact that maybe (being generous) 3/4 of all BL is just pointless sm*t just proves my point. It's hard to come across a good BL that treats the characters like proper humans with feeling and emotions instead of just really horny?
Don't get me wrong, there are some AMAZING Bl out there for me at least. I think it's better when it's not the focal point though, and break the formula a bit. Just like any other tory BL his very common tropes, even more so then most. Quite a few stories feel exactly the same and are very forgettable.
Perhaps I'm going around in circles a bit, but you get my point.
BL is stuck in a problem where they have trapped themselves in to one particular audience, fujoshis that like seeing some of that action. However to the general public not only is that not something that they'd read, but it makes most people run in the opposite direction. The creators of BL manga manhwa manhua and anime are stuck with trying to fulfil their only audience with the same basic tropes, and by doing that they're chasing away the possibility of getting anyone else that's into gay sm*t .

This is just my opinion ofc, but please feel free to correct me if I misunderstood anything, or if you want to add on :)
May 4, 5:46 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to Maou_heika
@Blueberry173 Assault is assault no matter what the reason and they end up being a couple in the end which I don't want to see. The fact that the author has to use such a plot device to get them together puts it on the same level as other trashy BL. I hate goody-two-shoes characters but if I have to choose between a sexual offender and a goody-two-shoes I'll most definitely pick the goody-two-shoes any day.
@Maou_heika
Yea this is a plot device not just in BL... they did that in Citrus, and it wasn't anything small... it was so bad and I couldn't believe it and ranted about it for days and never watched another episode. But there is a difference between characters crossing a line and all-out assault, it depends on where the line is and I haven't seen Given so I can't say til I see it. I don't understand the motivations behind a lot of the plot contrivances they put in anime, but I think they are extremely ignorant about gay relationships.
May 4, 7:23 PM

Feb 2017
I feel kinda the same as you, though I'm not opposed to toxic/weird relationship dynamics as long as they are explored in interesting ways.The main issue for me is a lot are way too short for me to get invested in. so many are just 1 volume, I like romance stuff that develops it's characters more which I find hard to find in BL. Even longer bl, if they're are too fluffy and light they tend to bore me. I also don't like really ikemen looking character designs lol.

I've liked The Stranger By The Shore, The Summer Hikaru Died, Doukyuusei, and that's about it really. Though I haven't really dug too hard so there's probably more out there that I'd enjoy, but it's a hassle because it feels like 95% of the genre ain't for me.
May 4, 8:17 PM
Apr 2022
It seem BL genre need more good author to write them and not just write as smut or fetishizing stuff.
May 5, 9:42 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to FedeMetal
Not enough BL anime. There's like 3 yuri per season, but barely BL.
@FedeMetal this.
The Japanese anime industry would rather see 2 girls kissing rather than 2 boys kissing.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 5, 2:22 PM

Jul 2023
In terms of "fetishisation", I honestly think that's an inherent part of the BL genre (regardless of what BL fans are willing to admit) that also acts as part of the appeal. It's gay relationships written by straight women for an audience of straight women. The fact that the people who make up this subculture generally have no idea about the demographic they're writing about is part of the fantasy and also gives authors a lot of creative freedom to just do whatever they want and explore dyamics/scenarios they wouldn't be able to in a straight fictional relationship. There's a reason the number of gay men who are BL fans is so much smaller than the number of women. You're better off just looking for another medium (movies, books, hell even poetry, drag, blah blah) if fetishisation of gay men is a hard line for you, and I say this as a BL fan. I'd say in general this is changing gradually, but I'm not sure in what way yet. To be honest I have no idea what BL will look like in 5 or 10 years time. Will it even still be around as we recognise it today?

And the "gross, toxic and weird stuff"... well, yeah, the state of the romance genre in general was a little shocking even 10 years ago. Remember all the dogshit romcoms that were around in the 90s and 2000s? Times have (thankfully) changed, there's generally less of that around in all romance. They're always going to have an appeal to some people though, so these types of stories are always going to get made. I don't think there's a problem with these kinds of themes or topics being present in romances/dramas in general, any good story is going to have points of conflict and in a romance one way to do that is have one of the characters fucking up/doing something "toxic". I personally think it goes back to BL authors and fans not knowing anything about the demographic they're writing about. There's a reason the conflicts in these stories tend to be so convoluted (i.e. the omegaverse, the fixation on topping and bottoming and having the right "personalities" for each role), rather than the types of actual issues gay Japanese men might deal with day-to-day. Just to be clear, this isn't me saying "BL should be about the struggles of gay Japanese men", because I don't think that. There is space for all kinds of stories, everyone should be able to write the kind of story they want. What I'm trying to get at is there's a link between the kind of content being made and who makes it - these stories are set up in a way to appeal to a target audience of women rather than men. There are obviously exceptions, and this is a generalisation. I also don't think this means these stories don't have some kind of value.

It's also harder to fetishise a character who feels like a real person, which, y'know, not ideal for a fujoshi who kind of just wants to turn their brain off while they engage with their smutty romance animanga for the most part.

I could go on forever, but I won't. BL is a fascinating genre. Where do you see BL in the next few years?

Oh, I nearly forgot: Calling it BL is definitely stretch, it's a sci-fi/action noir story with two male leads that have undeniable romantic and sexual tension between them (there's also some badass yuri couples), but Immortal Days is the most exciting bl-adjacent story I've read in years.
spiritgun01May 5, 2:58 PM
May 5, 2:33 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to spiritgun01
In terms of "fetishisation", I honestly think that's an inherent part of the BL genre (regardless of what BL fans are willing to admit) that also acts as part of the appeal. It's gay relationships written by straight women for an audience of straight women. The fact that the people who make up this subculture generally have no idea about the demographic they're writing about is part of the fantasy and also gives authors a lot of creative freedom to just do whatever they want and explore dyamics/scenarios they wouldn't be able to in a straight fictional relationship. There's a reason the number of gay men who are BL fans is so much smaller than the number of women. You're better off just looking for another medium (movies, books, hell even poetry, drag, blah blah) if fetishisation of gay men is a hard line for you, and I say this as a BL fan. I'd say in general this is changing gradually, but I'm not sure in what way yet. To be honest I have no idea what BL will look like in 5 or 10 years time. Will it even still be around as we recognise it today?

And the "gross, toxic and weird stuff"... well, yeah, the state of the romance genre in general was a little shocking even 10 years ago. Remember all the dogshit romcoms that were around in the 90s and 2000s? Times have (thankfully) changed, there's generally less of that around in all romance. They're always going to have an appeal to some people though, so these types of stories are always going to get made. I don't think there's a problem with these kinds of themes or topics being present in romances/dramas in general, any good story is going to have points of conflict and in a romance one way to do that is have one of the characters fucking up/doing something "toxic". I personally think it goes back to BL authors and fans not knowing anything about the demographic they're writing about. There's a reason the conflicts in these stories tend to be so convoluted (i.e. the omegaverse, the fixation on topping and bottoming and having the right "personalities" for each role), rather than the types of actual issues gay Japanese men might deal with day-to-day. Just to be clear, this isn't me saying "BL should be about the struggles of gay Japanese men", because I don't think that. There is space for all kinds of stories, everyone should be able to write the kind of story they want. What I'm trying to get at is there's a link between the kind of content being made and who makes it - these stories are set up in a way to appeal to a target audience of women rather than men. There are obviously exceptions, and this is a generalisation. I also don't think this means these stories don't have some kind of value.

It's also harder to fetishise a character who feels like a real person, which, y'know, not ideal for a fujoshi who kind of just wants to turn their brain off while they engage with their smutty romance animanga for the most part.

I could go on forever, but I won't. BL is a fascinating genre. Where do you see BL in the next few years?

Oh, I nearly forgot: Calling it BL is definitely stretch, it's a sci-fi/action noir story with two male leads that have undeniable romantic and sexual tension between them (there's also some badass yuri couples), but Immortal Days is the most exciting bl-adjacent story I've read in years.
@spiritgun01 Gay men being into BL is more common than lesbians being into GL so no way its smaller. GL fandom is almost composed by straight man while BL fanbase is more diverse. I know many gays who are into BL compared to lesbians who are into GL.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 5, 2:35 PM

Feb 2017
It's good and I completely disagree with you hitorijime, junjo romantica and super lovers are all good, you knew it was age gap going into it, if its not your kind of thing then don't watch it. I love yaoi anime and manga, just separate fiction from reality... and don't watch something if you don't like the themes it has just because it's bl. Taking a look at your list you never even watched Junjou Romantica???

Anyways my opinion on the state of Bl is that it's great, really glad we're getting more anime, and there can never be enough yaoi manga and webtoons 😩
SphealzMay 5, 2:40 PM
May 5, 2:39 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to Nurguburu
@spiritgun01 Gay men being into BL is more common than lesbians being into GL so no way its smaller. GL fandom is almost composed by straight man while BL fanbase is more diverse. I know many gays who are into BL compared to lesbians who are into GL.
@Nurguburu I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think personal anecdotes offer any kind of useful evidence one way or the other. I am a gay man who is a BL fan, I know they exist. You say you know a lot of them... good for you? I also didn't say anything about the GL genre because I don't know anything about it. If it's full of straight men I woudn't be surprised.
May 5, 2:59 PM

Aug 2017
Reply to spiritgun01
@Nurguburu I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think personal anecdotes offer any kind of useful evidence one way or the other. I am a gay man who is a BL fan, I know they exist. You say you know a lot of them... good for you? I also didn't say anything about the GL genre because I don't know anything about it. If it's full of straight men I woudn't be surprised.
@spiritgun01 No issues with it. I already have a feeling you were trying to say. Yes, I know about it since I'm a gay man too haha, that's why I'm saying it. All males I know who are into BL or are BL fans in every site I interact for example are either gay or bi at very least, I don't know any straight man being a BL fan. Even some gays who are into Bara tend to like BL at least now. The only gays who are not into BL were some furry fans from a site which I think its down but that was from like 7-6 years ago and BL was different back then and Bara was much popular among us, I think even if others gays disagree they still tend to like BL, even OP is still one of them even if he doesn't like some stuff as he said. I mentioned GL since I expected it to be popular among lesbians too but since I interact with the Anime fandom (which it includes the GL/yuri fandom) since at least 2018, I can count with my fingers the amount the lesbians who are GL fans lol, yeah I'm not a lesbian myself so I can't explain why but as I said, from my experience, lesbians being to GL isn't common as gays being to BL. Maybe BL can be a lot of stuff at the time, cute, romantic, nsfw and I saw some of them are more uncensored than before. I think the reason I'm not into Bara as I used to be is due its just sexual, faces are almost the same and characters have too much muscles to the point it isn't hot after a while. If I want something sexual, I'll probably like hard BL. If I want something more romantic, I'll watch or read shonen-ai or just soft BL. If I want something both cute and sexual at the same time, I'll probably read or watch a normal BL. I felt BL/yaoi is more complete than Bara despite Bara is written by other gay people.
NurguburuMay 5, 3:08 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 5, 3:03 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to SwordBreaker36
I find it utterly lacking but then again we are speaking japan they are not as open as the rest of the world. I like my BL if it´s good but then at the same time im glad the WOKE western LGBTQ+ crap has not reach japan because west is even worse. And not im not homophobia im bi with a trans boyfriend. But western LGBTQ+ is radical and trash.

Like take Dragon age Absolution. Where the female lead is lesbian but lets also joke that the 2 dudes are gay it´s like every one had to be gay and the main plot of it all. Like every time they add a gay person they always need to make them badly written or flamboyant as hell like why do gay need to be flamboyant ? what shitty stereotype is that ?
You can be a gay dude with out being feminine and you can be a lesbian with out being masculine it´s so damn dumb. I mean your gay not another gender.
@SwordBreaker36 I'm sure your trans boyfriend would love to see you use the phrase "woke western LGBTQ+ crap" and conflate feminine gay men with women and mascluline lesbians with men.
May 5, 3:15 PM

Jul 2023
Reply to Nurguburu
@spiritgun01 No issues with it. I already have a feeling you were trying to say. Yes, I know about it since I'm a gay man too haha, that's why I'm saying it. All males I know who are into BL or are BL fans in every site I interact for example are either gay or bi at very least, I don't know any straight man being a BL fan. Even some gays who are into Bara tend to like BL at least now. The only gays who are not into BL were some furry fans from a site which I think its down but that was from like 7-6 years ago and BL was different back then and Bara was much popular among us, I think even if others gays disagree they still tend to like BL, even OP is still one of them even if he doesn't like some stuff as he said. I mentioned GL since I expected it to be popular among lesbians too but since I interact with the Anime fandom (which it includes the GL/yuri fandom) since at least 2018, I can count with my fingers the amount the lesbians who are GL fans lol, yeah I'm not a lesbian myself so I can't explain why but as I said, from my experience, lesbians being to GL isn't common as gays being to BL. Maybe BL can be a lot of stuff at the time, cute, romantic, nsfw and I saw some of them are more uncensored than before. I think the reason I'm not into Bara as I used to be is due its just sexual, faces are almost the same and characters have too much muscles to the point it isn't hot after a while. If I want something sexual, I'll probably like hard BL. If I want something more romantic, I'll watch or read shonen-ai or just soft BL. If I want something both cute and sexual at the same time, I'll probably read or watch a normal BL. I felt BL/yaoi is more complete than Bara despite Bara is written by other gay people.
@Nurguburu Oh I see, sorry for my defensive tone. I agree I think BL is more accessible than ever now, Yuri on Ice's and then Given's popularity has pushed it more into the mainstream and set the standards for "good BL". The only GL fan I've known was a friend in high school, and she complained all the time about how terrible she thought the stories were and how they were all targeted towards men. She just stopped bothering with it after a while and focused on Western animation.

I wouldn't surprise me at all if BL written by straight women on the whole tends to be more emotionally engaging, sensual and romantic than GL written by men.
Nurguburu said:
Maybe BL can be a lot of stuff at the time, cute, romantic, nsfw and I saw some of them are more uncensored than before.

I think this is a great point. BL's variety is it's strong point.

I don't know much about bara but it's interesting to hear your thoughts on it.

I can't lie I wasn't expecting to have an interesting conversation on MAL about BL lol, thanks for that.
May 5, 5:58 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to spiritgun01

spiritgun01 said:
Calling it BL is definitely stretch, it's a sci-fi/action noir story with two male leads that have undeniable romantic and sexual tension between them (there's also some badass yuri couples), but Immortal Days is the most exciting bl-adjacent story I've read in years.

I know a cool anime like that. It's based on an old, untranslated manga that recently got an untranslated sequel manga. I would love to be able to read Miyake's works someday.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37522/Pet
その目だれの目?
May 6, 3:30 AM

Mar 2009
Reply to spiritgun01
@SwordBreaker36 I'm sure your trans boyfriend would love to see you use the phrase "woke western LGBTQ+ crap" and conflate feminine gay men with women and mascluline lesbians with men.
@spiritgun01 He is the one who hates the woke LGBTQ+ the most because as he says it him self they make people hates trans gay people even more with their bullshit and hate and how they see fit to attack any one that don´t agree with their lunatic behavior. He is the one that even says they are more fanatics that just make it harder for real trans people to feel accepted.

So he knows fully well what I think about today's shitty LGBTQ+ because the the one that hates them the most because they make it worse for him.

May 11, 2:02 AM
Feb 2024
I love BL and I have similar feelings. I get it people have different perspectives and expectations, but the BL anime range is pretty small and this (more or less) creepy stuff is overrepresented there imo. So I hope the genre will be developed and we'll have a wider choice.

It's not typical BL, but I guess you might enjoy these ones:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37208/Mo_Dao_Zu_Shi
https://myanimelist.net/anime/40730/Tian_Guan_Cifu
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » is the word "disney" plot or story a valid criticism?

deg - Yesterday

29 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

swirlydragon - Apr 17, 2021

205 by RareAnimeHunter »»
10 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

10 by deg »»
16 minutes ago

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 5 hours ago

20 by Clarissah »»
16 minutes ago

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - 5 hours ago

6 by alshu »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.