Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 13, 9:28 PM

Dec 2021
Only took this many episodes to finally get some semblance of Zai's backstory.

Higan grieves over Emma's passing just as a letter challenging him to a duel arrives from Zai. Meanwhile, Mike and Jason aim to disclose the data they've hacked from AUZA to the public, only to hit a snag: Emma's external memory drive is encrypted, thwarting their plans.

We're hit with this philosophical BS about "wEaKliNGs LiKe HiM hAvE nO rIgHt tO bE hEre." Okay, but did you have to KILL HIM DUDE?! I mean, geez, talk about going from one extreme to another. Oh... yeah, no, if this is the story, Zai was never going to side with them. This man was 100% going to side with the leader... HOLD THEM OFF BY YOURSELF?!

All of this... and they even told him... Yeah... like I said... he was never going to join them in this... he just... he couldn't... his loyalty is to the Ninja. And that final CG fight in this episode is just this show summed up after that bomb-ass episode 1... just garbage CG action. Sigh.

The long-awaited rematch between Zai and Higan... hopefully, it won't be CG.

Apr 13, 11:31 PM

Jan 2011
That was some good shit right there. Nice setup episode that I think shows this story is really about Higan and Mike not Emma. So her death, while sad, made a lot of sense for the story. This shit is so good. I can't wait for the next episode. I love the angle they are going with where everyone is trying to clean up their past so they can have a good future.

Lastly, the music was on point this episode too. The armor is off boys we are going to have a real fight for those that didn't like the CGI ninjas.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Apr 13, 11:33 PM

Jan 2011
Reply to IzanaSolos

Higan grieves over Emma's passing just as a letter challenging him to a duel arrives from Zai. Meanwhile, Mike and Jason aim to disclose the data they've hacked from AUZA to the public, only to hit a snag: Emma's external memory drive is encrypted, thwarting their plans.

We're hit with this philosophical BS about "wEaKliNGs LiKe HiM hAvE nO rIgHt tO bE hEre." Okay, but did you have to KILL HIM DUDE?! I mean, geez, talk about going from one extreme to another. Oh... yeah, no, if this is the story, Zai was never going to side with them. This man was 100% going to side with the leader... HOLD THEM OFF BY YOURSELF?!

All of this... and they even told him... Yeah... like I said... he was never going to join them in this... he just... he couldn't... his loyalty is to the Ninja. And that final CG fight in this episode is just this show summed up after that bomb-ass episode 1... just garbage CG action. Sigh.

The long-awaited rematch between Zai and Higan... hopefully, it won't be CG.
@IzanaSolos Zai is someone is not only duty bound but wants power so it isn't shocked dude is ruthless with everyone. I don't think the CGI is that bad as I found the fight with RJ to be really cool.
Apr 14, 2:28 AM
Jun 2022
One of the better episodes, only a shame that this climatic battle had shitty cgi while Higan's battle against random ninjas in episode 1 was animated much better. But now that they are out of the armour, next ep should be good.
Also, I do hope Mike does something cool in the end though, guy has mostly been taking L's.
Apr 14, 2:34 AM

Jun 2014
Now that we've gotten to the inevitable and long-awaited Higan vs Zai fight, it makes sense to now get Zai's backstory. He had it rough and was cold toward everyone until meeting Higan and Mari. The action scenes during the backstory were fire and more reminiscent of the pre-Gusoku gear action.

Speaking of Gusoku gear, I remember worrying that this fated battle would be fought entirely in those suits rather than traditional hand to hand combat, and hoped that at the very least it would be a half and half type thing. Looks like I'm getting my wish, we got part of the fight toward the end with them in the suits (with a fire insert song in the background) but now those have been shattered. Looks like this show's action will go back to its roots for this climactic battle with some fire 2D animation.

IzanaSolos said:

Right before his final fight against Higan is literally the perfect place to put his backstory. Anywhere earlier in the series, when he was never the focus until this episode, wouldn't have made any sense and would have felt out of place.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 14, 3:23 AM
May 2018
Reply to MasterHavik
That was some good shit right there. Nice setup episode that I think shows this story is really about Higan and Mike not Emma. So her death, while sad, made a lot of sense for the story. This shit is so good. I can't wait for the next episode. I love the angle they are going with where everyone is trying to clean up their past so they can have a good future.

Lastly, the music was on point this episode too. The armor is off boys we are going to have a real fight for those that didn't like the CGI ninjas.
MasterHavik said:
ice setup episode that I think shows this story is really about Higan and Mike not Emma. So her death, while sad, made a lot of sense for the story.

That statement is so terrible, never mind the fact that Emma has literally been the driving force of the story far more than Mike. But I guess we got fridge the female mc for shock value and man's pain, amirite?
Apr 14, 3:52 AM
Sep 2015
I may forgive all of this anime's faults if Higan kiss with the Reaper.
Apr 14, 4:07 AM

Jul 2010
Should have been a show about the past (Gungrave meets Basilisk), much more interesting this way. That's where all the cool fights, sick backstories and chemistry is.
Only watching it to set as completed, show dropped the ball hard and I feel sorry I recommended it to so many people...
Apr 14, 4:55 AM

Sep 2023
This episode was fine. At least there were some nicely animated fights for once, despite the garbage CGI mech fight at the end between Higan and Zai. It was somewhat interesting to see Zai's backstory but, for whatever reason, I just cannot bring myself to care about the plot in this anime. I don't know if it's because it's so cliche or if it's because of the lack of exciting animation, but either way it's just boring.
Apr 14, 5:02 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to AfroWarrior27
MasterHavik said:
ice setup episode that I think shows this story is really about Higan and Mike not Emma. So her death, while sad, made a lot of sense for the story.

That statement is so terrible, never mind the fact that Emma has literally been the driving force of the story far more than Mike. But I guess we got fridge the female mc for shock value and man's pain, amirite?
@AfroWarrior27 This anime has made it clear from the start characters could die any minute, so being shock doesn't make it to the end because of a promise she made his late wife shouldn't shock you. The story was really about them when you think about it as Emma's character arc was pretty much done once she reveal everything to Higan.
Apr 14, 5:11 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
A duel predestined!!!
kekeke
Apr 14, 5:13 AM

Jan 2013
Awful episode, wish the anime would stop focusing so much on its story
Apr 14, 5:52 AM

Apr 2022
first decent episode in forever with some 2D sword action, the pov stuff was cool. shame they went back to CGI mechs at the end there.
Apr 14, 6:37 AM
Nov 2019
duel saudara antara zai dan higan
My Candies :
Apr 14, 7:52 AM

Oct 2016
This is the first episode where I felt the anime going downhill like the general consensus about it, but it has happened before in retrospect.

I'm not really picky about the plot, since it is a rule of cool type of series, but characters are not interesting nor flesh out properly, here we have 3/4 of an episode dedicated to flashbacks between flashbacks to flesh out a character before a lackluster short fight, supposedly before the final showdown.

I personaly still like this anime but the rating is probably not going to be a good one in the end.
Apr 14, 9:18 AM

Dec 2018
What the hell was Mike thinking? I'd prefer if the bros fought it out without the mecha shit, it just leaves a bad taste.
Apr 14, 9:37 AM
May 2018
Reply to MasterHavik
@AfroWarrior27 This anime has made it clear from the start characters could die any minute, so being shock doesn't make it to the end because of a promise she made his late wife shouldn't shock you. The story was really about them when you think about it as Emma's character arc was pretty much done once she reveal everything to Higan.
@MasterHavik literally none of the MC has died so far, and they more or less immediately replace her with the that pasty middles aged Neet.

And it pretty much is shock value because he death is so dumb and contrived when you think about it. It more or less relied on the characters making dumb decisions for it to even happen in the first place.
Apr 14, 9:46 AM

Jan 2011
Reply to AfroWarrior27
@MasterHavik literally none of the MC has died so far, and they more or less immediately replace her with the that pasty middles aged Neet.

And it pretty much is shock value because he death is so dumb and contrived when you think about it. It more or less relied on the characters making dumb decisions for it to even happen in the first place.
@AfroWarrior27 This reeks of you just being mad your waifu died than actual criticism. Also we don't know if Mike will make it to the end he nearly got snipe in the last episode if he didn't have body armor. So he isn't save. Our nerdy guy ain't safe either as he can't fight for shit. He isn't neet so....that's odd of you to bring up. Emma story was over. It wasn't shock value but a surprise as no one thought RJ's Kamui was rigged to do that.
Apr 14, 9:50 AM

Jul 2019
So is nobody gonna absolutely shit on the fact that this man was fed and raised by GOD DAMN CROWS?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT IS GODS NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 14, 9:57 AM
May 2018
MasterHavik said:
@AfroWarrior27 This reeks of you just being mad your waifu died than actual criticism. Also we don't know if Mike will make it to the end he nearly got snipe in the last episode if he didn't have body armor. So he isn't save. Our nerdy guy ain't safe either as he can't fight for shit. He isn't neet so....that's odd of you to bring up. Emma story was over. It wasn't shock value but a surprise as no one thought RJ's Kamui was rigged to do that.

No it more like you blindly praising the story and can’t handle a mid-tier show flawed being brought to light. And of course
I’m going to be harsh when the show only remotely decent character does a stupid death.

I’ll go even further to explain how dumb and contrived her death is. Why did she abandon using her mech suit from here on out? was that ever explain. If it was she could have easily avoided death.

If that’s not good enough, why the heck did Higan suddenly powered down when he defeated Big D, when the threat was still alive and active? He didn’t do that with Lil.

And third, they already experienced that the mech suit could self exploded right after fighting that gross midget as a last resort. He was literally in his mech suit and ripped him right before he explode. Knowing that happen in the previous episode. Why the heck did they all approach Big D when the same thing could happen with him?

All of that nonsense happen just so Emma could die. The whole scenario is so force and dumb.

And if he was still in his mech suit he could have easily saved Emma. Especially if he could save that nasty little pervert from dying inside his own exploding mech.

Again, a forced and contrived death that relied on the characters being dumb for the sake of it.

But sure, I’m only mad because of dead waifu.

Give me a break.
AfroWarrior27Apr 14, 11:01 AM
Apr 14, 11:11 AM

Mar 2013
Reply to Mystogan14579
So is nobody gonna absolutely shit on the fact that this man was fed and raised by GOD DAMN CROWS?!?!?!?!?!
WHAT IS GODS NAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
@Mystogan14579 Don't underestimate crows: they're very smart (and hold a grudge very well).
Apr 14, 11:20 AM

Jul 2019
Reply to hawk222
@Mystogan14579 Don't underestimate crows: they're very smart (and hold a grudge very well).
@hawk222 CA-CAW CAW CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW (The crows sent this message, it's too late for him)
Apr 14, 11:44 AM
Sep 2021
hell nah man , absolutely downgrade , how even shinobi can become a mecha duel now , make sense if the rating goes down , and for what secret technique was created for
Apr 14, 11:56 AM

Aug 2013
Those suits got destroyed quite quick.

Hand-to-hand combat coming up now or...?

Auza guy destroying the place wouldn't surprise me at this point.
Apr 14, 1:42 PM

May 2020
This cliche can't be saved at this point. It is directed so badly as well. I would have dropped this at 9th episode but there is 2 more left so i will finish it.

There are 2 good things about this anime which are opening and 1st episode. Other than these is so mediocre.
defaulticusApr 14, 1:47 PM
Apr 14, 2:29 PM
Oct 2010
LEŞ....................
Apr 14, 5:48 PM

Mar 2010
Zai is pretty cringe. I am not really too excited for rest of series.
Apr 14, 6:03 PM

Dec 2022
would have been a 10/10 episode if it weren't for the cgi suits. such a darn shame that uglified junk has become standard in modern anime, sad!
either way still a good ep
Apr 14, 8:09 PM
Jun 2019
Apart from the horrible 3D at the end of the episode, this was much better than the last ones. Now that the costumes are broken. I hope for a badass fight in the next ep.
Apr 14, 11:07 PM

Nov 2015
this show has several problems like concealing the plot and the action on the show, thanks for trying but others couldn't realize that either and ended up as a dumb action shows. i.e hellsing ultimate 🤣

💢

Apr 15, 12:39 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
This show fell off significantly for me ever since the mechs came out; but this one episode was quite alright actually.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 15, 5:41 AM
Jan 2020
Watching this is like watching a Michael Bay Movie, for good or for worst

They shouldn't have introduced the mechs in the first place
Apr 15, 8:07 AM

May 2021
I was hoping the suit would come off and it did. We can finally go back to raw H2H no-mech fight.

Apr 15, 8:22 AM

Jan 2024
Finally the shitty animated stupid battle-suits broke lol. Hopefully we can have at least some great last fights, like the ones in the first episodes. Story is pretty predictable, can already imagine what happens in the end.
Apr 15, 9:20 AM
Aug 2023
I am still enjoying the show very much. I do agree it has its faults and it is by no means a perfect anime. I do find it predictable, but it does not take away from the enjoyment as it was pretty much inevitable that Higan and Zai's encounter would start in the mech suits but ultimately lead to them fighting bare bones.

I really liked the placement of Zai's backstory and he is your typical angsty teenage-like character but at least it is not beating you over the head with it. His whole crow-like persona is cool aside from him saying they raised him which really does not fit in this world and comes off as silly, but I don't feel it is meant to be taken seriously and is more to explain his dark vibe.

I really do like the main premise of the story as it is a simple revenge story, and when it focuses on that and the past it works wonderfully. When it shifts focus to Auza is when it loses interest for me.

The loss of Emma is truly felt on the show as Mike and Jason are no help to Higan for the rest of the way. I really wanted Mike's character to get better after Mike and Higan meeting in episode 2, but it just hasn't evolved further. There is still hope with two episodes remaining.

I still feel it deserves a worthy watch. It is a solid show
Apr 15, 2:52 PM

May 2021
Gotta say things are shaping up for grand finale to be a shitty CGI fight, which is a spit in the face of the great choreography we've had so far. I hope that's not the case with suits falling apart, but something's telling me otherwise.
Apr 16, 6:27 AM

Jul 2015
Does anyone know the name of the song during the final moments of the episode?
Apr 16, 8:35 AM
Sep 2021
Zai's backstory, his past was shown & now he is fighting higan to finish things once and for all.
Apr 17, 1:04 AM
Apr 2021
I have no clue why so many ppl here and on twitter and tiktok are complaining about this episode this was a really good episode with good 2D fist fighting animation between Higan and Zai and POV part with Zai killing those soldiers was lit as hell especially when Higan was slicing them up and Zai joined in was so cool, ppl see a bit of CGI and think the whole show is riddled with it😭🤦🏽‍♂️😭

FINALLY we got to see more backstory with Zai and I couldn’t be more happier so that’s why Zai is the way he is, bros broken as hell seeing his 2 best friends break the code after planning on being together ;(

The ending of this episode was really good the song playing while the song in the background was just playing while icing on the cake for this episode, Sunghoo Park is a goat man🔥🔥
Apr 17, 3:55 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to Pokitaru
Does anyone know the name of the song during the final moments of the episode?
@Pokitaru Unbroken (R.O.N)
Apr 17, 4:16 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to Leylarrk
@Pokitaru Unbroken (R.O.N)
@Leylarrk Thank you very much!
Apr 17, 5:31 PM
Nov 2016
Damn, what happened to this anime? it had an awesome beginning with a great 1st episode, then it started degrading bit by bit and by episode 10 the animation looks like shit, I can't even feel the emotional moments here, Emma died in the previous episode and I didn't even felt sad about it and I'm a sucker for good emotional moments, it's the thing I enjoy the most in an anime, but I simply couldn't feel a thing when Emma died, it was a cheap as hell emotional scene so they fucked up IMHO.

And this isn't even about Ninjas anymore, this is a crappy-ass Mecha anime at this point with crappy animation, they obviously used all their budget in the 1st episode, this looks like shit now, what the fuck has this anime turned into?
Apr 17, 6:08 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Well this episode was pretty boring. It was basically everyone sitting around and getting some backstory of Zai which I feel like we should’ve gotten forever ago. The end of the episode did not give me good hopes for the upcoming battle between the two mechs 😂
Apr 18, 3:03 AM

Mar 2019
This episode was kind of okay. I liked getting the Zai backstory as it makes it easier to understand his motivation. Looks like he's coping with rejection just as much as he's doing it for the ninja code or whatever.

Mike and the hacker scenes were stupid as usual. The fight at the end was atrocious visually, but it looks like they broke the armored suits? Maybe we'll get a nicely animated Higan vs Zai armor-less fight next episode? He'll still have to fight the main villain and other Auza enemies so we're not out of the woods yet with ugly CG armor fights, but I'm hopeful for one decent looking scene in the final episodes.

Btw, what was the point of fighting with swords if the armor could block the impact of swings and stabs? Kind of dumb
poemofdevilApr 18, 3:07 AM
Apr 21, 3:43 AM

May 2015
Ninjas doing ninja stuff!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 21, 2:18 PM
Apr 2020
Decent Episode. Betrayal Story was expected.
Apr 27, 11:30 AM

Jun 2021
Hand to hand now please, the suits ain't the thing making it interesting
Zai's backstory was depressing as hell, dude went through a lot

ıllıllı 𝘚𝘦𝘵 𝘣𝘺 : Cozii ıllıllı | ᑕᗩᖇᗪ ᑕOᒪᒪEᑕTIOᑎ | • • ᗪEᒪIᐯEᖇY • •
Apr 28, 3:33 AM
Aug 2021
Okay, getting things from Zai's (Reaper's) perspective makes me feel bad for him. They did betray him. He already had abandonment issues and opened up to them about it. They promised they would be together forever and then they left him as well. He couldn't even initially bring himself to kill them instead just screamed out their names and cried. i genuinely don't blame him for being angry.
May 21, 7:35 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Zai vs Higan after that backstory, it's gonna be action packed
May 25, 3:40 AM
Apr 2024
Solid episode. Nice to see the backstory of the Reaper. Bro was betrayed by the people he trusted most, so I guess his anger is justified. Fight scene was also good, still prefer hand-to-hand fights though.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ninja Kamui Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

54 by Matheus050 »»
Sep 25, 7:32 PM

Poll: » Ninja Kamui Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - May 4

138 by menacce »»
Sep 22, 8:56 AM

Poll: » Ninja Kamui Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Mar 30

50 by menacce »»
Sep 22, 7:36 AM

Poll: » Ninja Kamui Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

IzanaSolos - Feb 10

224 by menacce »»
Sep 21, 6:11 AM

Poll: » Ninja Kamui Episode 7 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Mar 23

41 by Matheus050 »»
Aug 30, 9:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.