Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Sep 23, 2022 2:31 AM

Jul 2020
I want to take this opportunity to congratulate everyone on Chisato's birthday which is today, 9/23. Happy Chisato's birthday, everyone!
Sep 23, 2022 3:24 AM
May 2021
This is what is getting zero pussy does to a mf
Sep 23, 2022 4:36 AM

Aug 2022
Not gonna lie her entire character made me drop the series after watching the first episode,
I thought she was unbearably annoying, I didn't like a single aspect of her other than her visual design because tits.

I'm usually into upbeat characters leaning on the moe-moe side of things but I couldn't stand her.
Sep 23, 2022 5:01 AM
Aug 2021
StaleNut said:
If you think anyone's reading that, well you might wanna reconsider. This is a MAL forum, people don't care about your opinion, especially when it's so long and convoluted.

Facts , He wrote a whole essay about a single character with a troll and baiting title
Sep 23, 2022 5:42 AM
May 2021
thunderkitten667 said:
SkyhighCFC said:

That would be classroom of the elite. But nice try 👍

According to Niconico, Lycoris Recoil is second only to Uncle from Another world, but only as of recently, since it has been number one for the past 11 weeks. Next time do your research?

Maybe YOU should do your research, because on multiple sources (such as ABEMA) it shows that COTE is the #1 most watched anime from this season. It shocked me too, but it's clearly COTE.
Sep 23, 2022 5:43 AM
May 2021
GrimAtrament said:
so a character is bad because they have an character flaw and don't act like edgy power fantasy portagonist 1000? I get that people on mal don't like being reminded that they are flawed humans, but to bad we all have our flaws our hypocrites and we are not perfect. You call it a bad character I call it realistic.

SkyhighCFC said:

That would be classroom of the elite. But nice try 👍

never heard of it.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. Either way, it doesn't even matter. Because the fact is COTE has been the most watched anime this szn 🤷‍♂️
Sep 23, 2022 5:44 AM
May 2021
SaiyanGod_15 said:
thunderkitten667 said:

Honestly. The hate threads are coming on after Lycoris Recoil has been dominating for 11 weeks. I would understand after week 3, but week 11? They just can’t stand a Chisato and Takina dominating the spotlight, an original anime only series that is more popular than shows that are even on their second season.

IKR just your typical "It's Popular so let's hate it because it's the cool thing to do" bandwagon. I been seeing this with Bleach as well ever since It's Blood war arc was announced.

God forbid a popular show receive criticism!
Sep 23, 2022 6:17 AM
cinnamon girl ♡

Apr 2021
i dont agree her voice is a bit annoying
Sep 23, 2022 7:06 AM
Apr 2022
The only thing people care about in this anime is the two fl scissoring each other and shooting guns sometimes that's why they want it to win anime of the year.
Sep 23, 2022 7:08 AM
Feb 2019
SkyhighCFC said:
SaiyanGod_15 said:

IKR just your typical "It's Popular so let's hate it because it's the cool thing to do" bandwagon. I been seeing this with Bleach as well ever since It's Blood war arc was announced.

Idc if a show gets criticism as long as it's constructive :P
Sep 23, 2022 8:05 AM

Jun 2020
*yawn* nice try, next person please
Sep 23, 2022 8:17 AM
Jun 2020
last episode in the last minute where she made that retarded smile and said ahh watashi no bagu made me feel sick who cares about a freaking bag
Sep 23, 2022 8:37 AM
May 2021
SaiyanGod_15 said:
SkyhighCFC said:

Idc if a show gets criticism as long as it's constructive :P

The criticism in this post is constructive though. OP isn't blindly hating on the show.
Sep 23, 2022 8:38 AM
May 2021
chocomayu said:
*yawn* nice try, next person please

Outstanding argument! You sure showed those darn haters! /s
Sep 23, 2022 8:51 AM

Nov 2007
fwiw, I think it boils down to whether her morals are 'no direct killing' or 'being a savior' (despite her saying it outright that she wants to be a saviour in the flashback in epi 9).

If it's the former, her actions are still consistent and in line with her morals and ideals. She doesn't care about the trolley problem, 'indirect killing' doesn't bother her all that much, and being repulsed to killing (like how she describes it at the aquarium in epi 4) just so happens to have an altruistic side effect and she's just not killing simply because she 'does what she wants', which is to not feel disgusted about having to kill someone.

If it's the later, her actions are inconsistent and not in line with her own morals and ideals. Which can be chalked up to either lazy writing or her being dumb and mixing 'no killing' with 'being a saviour'.

Still like Chisato though lol.

Sep 23, 2022 9:11 AM
Oct 2021
boku said:
fwiw, I think it boils down to whether her morals are 'no direct killing' or 'being a savior' (despite her saying it outright that she wants to be a saviour in the flashback in epi 9).

If it's the former, her actions are still consistent and in line with her morals and ideals. She doesn't care about the trolley problem, 'indirect killing' doesn't bother her all that much, and being repulsed to killing (like how she describes it at the aquarium in epi 4) just so happens to have an altruistic side effect and she's just not killing simply because she 'does what she wants', which is to not feel disgusted about having to kill someone.

If it's the later, her actions are inconsistent and not in line with her own morals and ideals. Which can be chalked up to either lazy writing or her being dumb and mixing 'no killing' with 'being a saviour'.

Still like Chisato though lol.

Yeah I think you summarized the issue pretty well. I concluded that the show thinks she’s the later even when her action say otherwise.
Sep 23, 2022 9:55 AM
Dec 2020
cringe opinon dude
Sep 23, 2022 10:11 AM

Jul 2016
Dude, the show is already dead. Stop beating the corpse of it.

That said, the show is indeed bad and the writing got laughable the moment they explained how Chisato's dodging bullets ability worked.
Sep 23, 2022 11:28 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Even though this show slaps, yeah Chisato might be a little bit of a contradictory character. If people are dying left and right and Chisato doesn't seem to give af, then sure whatever. Not worth over-thinking it. The problem is that she makes a big deal of not wanting to kill people, so she does value human life. It's one of the show's central themes; Chisato believes everyone deserves to live no matter what, that everyone should get a second chance... or third... or fourth. Batman will kill somebody before Chisato does.

Chisato's kind of like: "If a mass-murderer kills a bunch of people it's fine... just as long as I MYSELF don't kill anybody, it's all good!"

Idc though, I still love Chisato and her matrix bullet time abilities. It does kind of suck to realize though that she did kind of let Takina die there just because of her refusal to kill. Thank goodness for convenient plot-device beam-kun.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 23, 2022 11:41 AM

Oct 2021
Make it under 20 words and maybe I'll consider... anyways I just remembered I need to binge the rest of the show once the last ep airs tomorrow

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Sep 23, 2022 12:58 PM

Feb 2010
SkyhighCFC said:
GrimAtrament said:
so a character is bad because they have an character flaw and don't act like edgy power fantasy portagonist 1000? I get that people on mal don't like being reminded that they are flawed humans, but to bad we all have our flaws our hypocrites and we are not perfect. You call it a bad character I call it realistic.

never heard of it.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not. Either way, it doesn't even matter. Because the fact is COTE has been the most watched anime this szn 🤷‍♂️

no that would be Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou according to analytics also i am serious wtf is COTE?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 23, 2022 1:03 PM

Jul 2011
Secret333 said:
animedude1287 said:

1: Yes, Chisato cares about life, but what can she do about it? They died, and there's nothing she can do to bring them back. She also doesn't know who's targeting them, so she just can't go out and hunt down the person doing this. She doesn't want to kill but knows well that it still happens.

2: Again, what can she do? Chisato can't just tap some wall in her apartment, and a gun comes down from the ceiling and falls into her hands. Like I said before, the two are too even lee matched, and I don't think there is a way for Chisato to fight him.

3: Even still, we didn't see them get hurt or killed. For all we know, they just crashed, and that's all that happened. They might have regained control of the car and didn't crash. I've been in crashes before, and I've never been injured or been close to being killed. Yes, it is odd for her, but Chisato is smart and would most likely be able to avoid them getting hurt.

4: I didn't answer four cause I didn't get it, but now I do. You do know she doesn't like this group? So, of course, she's going to give them a bulshit answer. Plus, how was she going to capture him? She was outnumbered the first time and had nothing to get him the second time. There is no way she'd be able to keep Majima.

5: Yeah, but that was still her choice. Chisato was just giving them the option. Again, I don't think she did anything wrong.

7: Yeah, and she still lived. So, saying that Takina died is misleading.

8: It's like you're ignoring they had other stuff to deal with. Like making sure all the other Lycoris don't die and Japan doesn't start firing guns left and right. Yes, the rope gun is good for a few things, but it's still rope, and it can still be broken. The episode proves that Majima could break out of it, or do you think that's his twin brother? Also, the women they battled had a lot of knives on her. So, unless they can waste time searching for her and get all of them, they're wasting time. Plus, Chisato most likely wants him to get to a hospital and get some help.

9: Not sure what that bit is, but even Japan has to follow some rules on TV. I'm just saying there have been plenty of dark moments in the show. Thou, I don't follow Twitter feeds and other stuff like that.

10: Only time will tell.

Just seems like you're nitpicking a few things here and there that don't matter as much. The last few just seem pointless to bring up, as there's still one more episode.

1. She could've shown even the slightest hint of seriousness rather than her "4 people died? eh, whatever"
2. She could've tried.
3. If Chisato went and planted a bomb and detonated it because she's sad, but no one died due to sheer luck and not anything she did, would you call that in character because nobody died?
4. Again, she could've tried. You see how Takina tried to hit him after he ran away. Something like that. And her not liking DA shouldn't have anything to do with capturing a terrorist.
5. She didn't give them any option, she just kicked them out and closed the shop down.
7. People took this line litteraly and fail to see the point behind it so they just say "she didn't die though" and think they responded. I know she's not dead. I say she doesn't die in the post. And I say that the only reason she doesn't die isn't because of Chisato stopping the woman, but just due to sheer luck on the side of Takina.
8. Until Mizuki and Kurumi pulled in with the helicopter and explained the situation, they didn't have any of that on their mind. And Chisato and Takina clearly think the rope gun is relieble since the left Majima alone after they tied him up. We, the audience, know it's not relieble by the end of the episode. The charecters do not.
9. You brought that up out of nowhere, saying that I don't think other dark things happened when I never said anything like that.

You know what? The points I raised do not matter to the show, because like I said, I don't think the writers are aware of them. We're not gonna get a scene where Takina asks Chisato "why the hell did you let her kick me out of a window possibly to my death?" because the writers don't think that's something that happened. And at what point do we have enough "nitpicks" to conclude that there's a problem with what the show tells us vs what we see?

1: Well, she didn't, and that's just not who she is.
2: Tried what? You keep saying she could do something, but don't say anything about what she could do. Even if she took Majima's gun, she wouldn't use it cause it has live ammo. So, again they'd be at a stalemate.
3:Well, not seeing any more intelligent conversations from this point. You clearly don't know Chisato as she would never do something like this. Stop being so desperate to win this one.
4: Cause Takina has a gun on her, and Chisato doesn't. I'm starting to think you shut your eyes when you watch this.
5: I didn't say she gave them an option. This is just what she wanted.
7: But you still put the line down like this. So it's your own fault for putting it like that. She didn't die, and the only thing she did that you seem not to understand is a pull-up. Next time think before you put something like that down because people are just going to call you out on it.

Why would Takina ask Chisato that in the first place? Takina knows Chisato's gun is full of live ammo and won't fire it. Again, this just shows how little attention you pay to the show. Also, the show is good at showing us, and not telling us. While they aren't amazing, it's better than some animes I see.
Sep 23, 2022 2:39 PM

Feb 2010
animedude1287 said:
Secret333 said:

1. She could've shown even the slightest hint of seriousness rather than her "4 people died? eh, whatever"
2. She could've tried.
3. If Chisato went and planted a bomb and detonated it because she's sad, but no one died due to sheer luck and not anything she did, would you call that in character because nobody died?
4. Again, she could've tried. You see how Takina tried to hit him after he ran away. Something like that. And her not liking DA shouldn't have anything to do with capturing a terrorist.
5. She didn't give them any option, she just kicked them out and closed the shop down.
7. People took this line litteraly and fail to see the point behind it so they just say "she didn't die though" and think they responded. I know she's not dead. I say she doesn't die in the post. And I say that the only reason she doesn't die isn't because of Chisato stopping the woman, but just due to sheer luck on the side of Takina.
8. Until Mizuki and Kurumi pulled in with the helicopter and explained the situation, they didn't have any of that on their mind. And Chisato and Takina clearly think the rope gun is relieble since the left Majima alone after they tied him up. We, the audience, know it's not relieble by the end of the episode. The charecters do not.
9. You brought that up out of nowhere, saying that I don't think other dark things happened when I never said anything like that.

You know what? The points I raised do not matter to the show, because like I said, I don't think the writers are aware of them. We're not gonna get a scene where Takina asks Chisato "why the hell did you let her kick me out of a window possibly to my death?" because the writers don't think that's something that happened. And at what point do we have enough "nitpicks" to conclude that there's a problem with what the show tells us vs what we see?

2: Tried what? You keep saying she could do something, but don't say anything about what she could do. Even if she took Majima's gun, she wouldn't use it cause it has live ammo. So, again they'd be at a stalemate.
3:Well, not seeing any more intelligent conversations from this point. You clearly don't know Chisato as she would never do something like this. Stop being so desperate to win this one.
4: Cause Takina has a gun on her, and Chisato doesn't. I'm starting to think you shut your eyes when you watch this.
7: But you still put the line down like this. So it's your own fault for putting it like that. She didn't die, and the only thing she did that you seem not to understand is a pull-up. Next time think before you put something like that down because people are just going to call you out on it.

Why would Takina ask Chisato that in the first place? Takina knows Chisato's gun is full of live ammo and won't fire it. Again, this just shows how little attention you pay to the show. Also, the show is good at showing us, and not telling us. While they aren't amazing, it's better than some animes I see.

to continue off this @Secret333

mostly for points 1-4

1. most people don't overly care when they hear about police deaths or just random deaths in general on the news. Literally most people i've seen go "oh no anyways." I've yet to see anyone break down on hearing about deaths of an unamed stranger. There is nothing they could have done about it. And Chisato hasn't been with most the Lycoris in years. So I doubt she would have been emotionally attached to any of them outside Harukawa, Fuki.

2.honestly the only thing she could have tried is leaving the room, but that could have lead to a worse situation since it would get civilians involved and she even managed to defuse the situation with Majima slightly before Takina arrived.

3. this is a strawman.

4. Chisato was unarmed Majima was armed, do you honestly expect her to take out a fully grown combat trained adult unarmed? whos being unrealistic now?

Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 23, 2022 2:41 PM
Oct 2021
animedude1287 said:
Secret333 said:

2. She could've tried.

1. And I'm saying that's contradictory to what she is. I guess we can never see eye-to-eye on this one.
2. Lycorises are trained in close quarters. We see them fight with their fists multiple times through-out the show. You decided they're at a stalemate because the show tells you that.
3. Oh you don't see how that was a response to your pathetic argument of "nobody died so it's fine". Yeah no intelligence is here because you seem incapable of comprehending the very obvious point. The MC put people's lives in danger. It's so fucking simple yet you don't get it.
4. Nah, I'll help you out on this one. Takina didn't try because she had a gun. She tried because she saw a terrorist and had the normal reaction of trying to stop them. Doesn't have anything to do with having guns. And again, Chisato could try to defeat him in hand to hand combat since his gun is irrelevant to her.
5. "Chisato was just giving them the option. Again, I don't think she did anything wrong" copy-pasted from your previous response. And I know that's what she wanted. I never said otherwise.
7. You legit can't read can you? I told you I said Takina doesn't die. When I said she let Takina die, that's because to her, she has no reason to believe Takina would live after falling from that window. Again, you, and people who made that same response can't comprehend anything beyond the surface interpretation, can you?

If I thought someone was my dearest friend, and they didn't move a muscle to try and help me as a crazy lady is trying to kill me, I'd sure as hell ask them why they didn't do shit. And before you say "oh that's just you" no. I'm using "I" as an example of what ANY person would do. And funny you mention the gun with real bullets. Isn't that what she uses seconds later against Yoshi to save Takina? The problem is that the writers put the moral dilemma for Chisato in that scene, but she should've had that dilemma as the lady was charging at Takina. And as we saw with Yoshi, she could very well try to shoot the lady in her legs or somewhere where she wouldn't die. But she just didn't. She just let Takina drop from a building.

Unfortunetly, you started using insults instead of actual arguments, denying what you said one post ago, ignoring my arguments, and trying to end conversations with "stop being so desperate to win this one". That's just sad, man.
Sep 23, 2022 2:51 PM
Oct 2021
GrimAtrament said:
animedude1287 said:

mostly for points 1-4

1. most people don't overly care when they hear about police deaths or just random deaths in general on the news. Literally most people i've seen go "oh no anyways." I've yet to see anyone break down on hearing about deaths of an unamed stranger. There is nothing they could have done about it. And Chisato hasn't been with most the Lycoris in years. So I doubt she would have been emotionally attached to any of them outside Harukawa, Fuki.

2.honestly the only thing she could have tried is leaving the room, but that could have lead to a worse situation since it would get civilians involved and she even managed to defuse the situation with Majima slightly before Takina arrived.

3. this is a strawman.

4. Chisato was unarmed Majima was armed, do you honestly expect her to take out a fully grown combat trained adult unarmed? whos being unrealistic now?

1. Most people aren't Chisato. Most people don't go out of their way to make sure they don't kill people if those people are trying to kill them. Most people didn't swear to become a saviour since childhood. Most people don't think (as stated by Chisato herself) that their mission in life is to use their supernatural ability to help people.
For points 2-4. We know the Lycorises can take adult men in hand to hand combat. We see them do that multiple times in this show. But I guess poor Chisato can't do anything if the show just says she can't.
And I'm not exactly sure who you're saying strawmanned who for point 3.
Sep 23, 2022 2:57 PM

Jul 2011
Secret333 said:
animedude1287 said:

1. And I'm saying that's contradictory to what she is. I guess we can never see eye-to-eye on this one.
2. Lycorises are trained in close quarters. We see them fight with their fists multiple times through-out the show. You decided they're at a stalemate because the show tells you that.
3. Oh you don't see how that was a response to your pathetic argument of "nobody died so it's fine". Yeah no intelligence is here because you seem incapable of comprehending the very obvious point. The MC put people's lives in danger. It's so fucking simple yet you don't get it.
4. Nah, I'll help you out on this one. Takina didn't try because she had a gun. She tried because she saw a terrorist and had the normal reaction of trying to stop them. Doesn't have anything to do with having guns. And again, Chisato could try to defeat him in hand to hand combat since his gun is irrelevant to her.
5. "Chisato was just giving them the option. Again, I don't think she did anything wrong" copy-pasted from your previous response. And I know that's what she wanted. I never said otherwise.
7. You legit can't read can you? I told you I said Takina doesn't die. When I said she let Takina die, that's because to her, she has no reason to believe Takina would live after falling from that window. Again, you, and people who made that same response can't comprehend anything beyond the surface interpretation, can you?

If I thought someone was my dearest friend, and they didn't move a muscle to try and help me as a crazy lady is trying to kill me, I'd sure as hell ask them why they didn't do shit. And before you say "oh that's just you" no. I'm using "I" as an example of what ANY person would do. And funny you mention the gun with real bullets. Isn't that what she uses seconds later against Yoshi to save Takina? The problem is that the writers put the moral dilemma for Chisato in that scene, but she should've had that dilemma as the lady was charging at Takina. And as we saw with Yoshi, she could very well try to shoot the lady in her legs or somewhere where she wouldn't die. But she just didn't. She just let Takina drop from a building.

Unfortunetly, you started using insults instead of actual arguments, denying what you said one post ago, ignoring my arguments, and trying to end conversations with "stop being so desperate to win this one". That's just sad, man.

And you don’t want to use anything for support. I’ve given reason after reason. You just don’t want to lessen. Your just as sad.

I think we’re done here.
animedude1287Sep 23, 2022 3:07 PM
Sep 23, 2022 3:07 PM
Oct 2021
animedude1287 said:
Secret333 said:

And you don’t want to use anything for support. I’ve given reason after reason. You just don’t want to lessen. Your just as sad.

I think we’re done here.

Oh I’m the one who doesn’t support their arguments?

Goodnight mate.
Sep 23, 2022 3:22 PM

Feb 2010
Secret333 said:
GrimAtrament said:

mostly for points 1-4

3. this is a strawman.

1. Most people aren't Chisato. Most people don't go out of their way to make sure they don't kill people if those people are trying to kill them. Most people didn't swear to become a saviour since childhood. Most people don't think (as stated by Chisato herself) that their mission in life is to use their supernatural ability to help people.
For points 2-4. We know the Lycorises can take adult men in hand to hand combat. We see them do that multiple times in this show. But I guess poor Chisato can't do anything if the show just says she can't.

And? Chisato is still human not some omnimessah. Being human means being flawed. Actually quite a few do including myself i work at retail do you know how many gun threats, physicals violence etc that we experience every day? I still don't have a body count where I work despite how many times I've had to defend myself and I work in literally what are the city slums in one of the more dangerous states. maybe hard to believe, but most people don't think murder as the immediate thing to do when being attacked. many deaths from cases where the person defending themselves kills someone are usually accidental. The fact that you are going out of the way to not treating Chisato as a human is literally kind of what the shows talking about with the DA treating them like tools and not people with flaws and human emotions.

the fact that you omitted the combat trained part shows how shaky your argument is. not to mention that Majima was in a apartment complex I might add would have lead to civilian collateral. Chisato was right to prevent Taikna from chasing him at that moment especially since Majima himself was not engaging in combat.
on 3. you are creating a hypothetical situation where you want to get a one sided answer thus it is a strawman because it's irrelevant since it never happened and never will happen.

Sep 2012
Secret333 said:
I know fully well how many people love this character, so I am fully prepared to qualify that statement.
Full spoilers and a longish read ahead. You can skip to the last paragraph for a tldr.

If we first try to describe Chisato, she's an upbeat lycoris who used to work for the DA, now trying to find the person who gave her a second chance in life by replacing her weak heart with a mechanical one. She's the best lycoris ever, owing to her supernatural ability to dodge bullets that she had from birth, but she never wants to take away people's lives, so she uses non-lethal bullets, and goes out of her way to make sure the people she fights do not die, not even by friendly fire from their comrades.

Ignoring the mechanics of how anything I said above works, here are what I consider to be the moments that weaken or destroy her character:

1. Episode 6 starts with Takina telling Chisato that 4 lycorises lost their lives. Chisato's response to this is very careless, and it's clear she doesn't even give a shit. A moment later she's all smiles because "Takina is gonna live with me, yay!". A normal person would've had a more serious reaction to that, but Chisato should've had an even bigger reaction because of much she values people's lives, and she grew in the same environment that the dead lycorises grew up in. She recieved the same brutal training in her childhood, so the tragedy of their wasted lives should've hit her harder but no, no signs of fucks given here.
2. In episode 8 she talks with the terrorist that killed those 4 lycorises, tried to kill her two episodes ago, and massacred an entire police department who were all innocent people. We know he can't hit her with the gun, he even puts it down. Does she try to stop him? arrest him? anything? nope. he can just go away and enact his plan that leads to even more people dying. Great job Chisato!
3. In episode 9 she just straight up shoots at innocent civilians at a highway, making them lose control of their car. She's just very lucky that that didn't cause an accident that lead to them + anyone else on the road dying. Fucking Mizuki's reaction to this is also of someone who doesn't give a fuck about people's lives. "But she was dealing with a lot and she was sad at that time, that scene is there to show us that she's not herself" is a defense that someone might try. The problem is this betrays her character, her morals, and just normal common sense. I can't believe this needs to be said but you can't just shoot at people just because you're sad. And does she look back at this regretfully? nope. Zero introspection and zero acknowledgement that she endangered innocent lives. This scene reminds me of that deleted scene from Captain Marvel, if anyone knows that one.
4. Again in episode 9, when Kusonoki questions her on letting Majima go, her response is "it's not my job". Forget about what's ethical, forget about what any normal decent human being would've done if they knew someone is a terrorist and they have the ability to stop them. She gives the stupidest excuse I've ever seen and dumbass Kusonoki doesn't say anything to that.
5. In episode 10, when she finds out Mizuki and Kurumi are looking for a way to save her, she decides to close down the cafe because "I can't have you guys wasting time worrying about me". This is just selfishness. It would weigh too much on her conciouseness to have them there trying to help her, so she's just gonna force them to leave their lives in Japan and move countires on her whim. And the two dumbfucks don't even argue back against that. No speech about how much she means to them or any kind of friendship speech that actually would've been appropriate for that moment because those two are nothing but glorified plot devices.
6. This point is less of a character thing, I just wanted to point this out because it's funny. At the end of episode 11, when Majima is shooting at her and Takina, she uses her bullet proof bag to block the bullets. She did that a lot and blocked a lot of bullets, but 1 bullet just knocks the bag out of her hand and so far away it falls down out of reach. The bullet didn't even hit her hand. This is funny because had she not lost that bag there, she could've just blocked Yoshi's bullets in episode 12 when he was shooting Takina, effectively bailing her out of making the choice. I guess the writers realized this and decided that the best solution is: "uuhh she just loosens her grip on the bag and loses it. Genius!". This is just lazy writing at its finest.
7. Chisato let Takina die in episode 12. That's the truth. When that lady who works for Yoshi was charging at Takina to kill her, Chisato didn't try to stop her, which lead to Takina falling off the building. Chisato is just very very lucky Takina fell on a beam and was able to hold on to dear life when the expected scenario would be that she falls to her death.
8. Chisato let's Yoshi go free. He's the guy who funded the terrorists and lead to so many innocents dying, and tried to kill her friend, but no. He gets to go because she can't kill him. So she just can't tie him up with her convenient gun that ties people up? She can't go after him after she calmed Takina down? Nah because we let terrorist funders go free in this show.
9. The choice is bullshit. She fired a real bullet for once. Did she actually have to kill someone? No. We can't let the show be too dark so we're gonna bait the choice while having the show bail her out so now she can't learn or grow or develope in any meaningful way.
10. Majima fucking emptied a mag on her friends when they were standing in the elevator. They could all be dead if it wasn't for Fuki's quick thinking. How does she respond to that happening? She doesn't. She lets it happen and then confronts him with "Yo.". I have to assume this is planned and they're gonna do something together next episode but fucking hell, lucky none of your friends were hurt in this stunt, huh Chisato?

And all of this doesn't include her constantly shifting power levels, the uncharacteristic stupid decisions she makes, how she never wonders if people could've been saved if she killed Majima in the tower incident (The most obvious question she should be asking herself). But this thread is long enough already.

I made this thread because while I always criticized other aspects of the writing, I don't think I went too deep into characters because there was always the chance they'd develope in a good way. I don't see that happening with episode 13 but I would happily eat my words if it proved me wrong. Characters is usually the thing people point to for this show but the characters are as terrible as the rest of the show. This is a 2/10 show on a good day.

If you asked the writers to describe Chisato, I don't think any of the above would come up. It really feels like the writers ignore innocent lives and have no awareness of the implications of the decisions the characters make or do not make. But the unfortunate reality is this:

Tldr; Chisato is an extremely selfish, immoral character that can be as compitent or as incompitent as the writing needs. She doesn't want to kill people with her own hands, but gives no fucks about people dying if she's not holding the gun. She forces others to follow her whims and desires and they rarely question her. She has no compelling developement or struggle. Chisato is not a waifu bait because a jpeg of a random female character would be a better waifu than this horrendous disaster of a character.

suprised im not the only 1 that didn't really "like" chisato, you went a bit more deep into the writing than i initially did.
still a good show, could have been better.
Culture-sensei
Mar 2021
I like Chisato, but I only like her as a pair with Takina. The two personalities really just balance each other nicely. I haven’t been this much of a fan of a yuri since Puella Magi.
Sep 23, 2022 3:34 PM
May 2021
GrimAtrament said:
SkyhighCFC said:

no that would be Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou according to analytics also i am serious wtf is COTE?

Source? If you're right about Made in Abyss being #1 I wouldn't mind. Because quite frankly it deserves it. But COTE is Classroom of the Elite. I'm shocked there are people who haven't even heard of it.
Sep 23, 2022 3:35 PM
May 2021
MAL_mashu said:
I like Chisato, but I only like her as a pair with Takina. The two personalities really just balance each other nicely. I haven’t been this much of a fan of a yuri since Puella Magi.

The show isn't really a yuri tho
Sep 23, 2022 3:45 PM
Culture-sensei
Mar 2021
SkyhighCFC said:
MAL_mashu said:

It’s about as much of one as Puella Magi was, albeit a little less. Chisato drives the yuri vibe. Edit: yuri doesn’t always mean it’s sexual in nature unlike yaoi which pretty much that’s the point of yaoi
Sep 23, 2022 3:48 PM

Feb 2010
SkyhighCFC said:
GrimAtrament said:

Source? If you're right about Made in Abyss being #1 I wouldn't mind. Because quite frankly it deserves it. But COTE is Classroom of the Elite. I'm shocked there are people who haven't even heard of it.

you can literally check on MAL top airing. what you mean source? neither of you provided a source so I assume you are talking about on this site.

SkyhighCFC said:
MAL_mashu said:

people said the same thing about Nanoha
before this official art dropped.

GrimAtramentSep 23, 2022 3:55 PM

Sep 23, 2022 4:22 PM
Oct 2021
GrimAtrament said:
Secret333 said:

And? Chisato is still human not some omnimessah. Being human means being flawed. Actually quite a few do including myself i work at retail do you know how many gun threats, physicals violence etc that we experience every day? I still don't have a body count where I work despite how many times I've had to defend myself and I work in literally what are the city slums in one of the more dangerous states. maybe hard to believe, but most people don't think murder as the immediate thing to do when being attacked. many deaths from cases where the person defending themselves kills someone are usually accidental. The fact that you are going out of the way to not treating Chisato as a human is literally kind of what the shows talking about with the DA treating them like tools and not people with flaws and human emotions.

the fact that you omitted the combat trained part shows how shaky your argument is. not to mention that Majima was in a apartment complex I might add would have lead to civilian collateral. Chisato was right to prevent Taikna from chasing him at that moment especially since Majima himself was not engaging in combat.
on 3. you are creating a hypothetical situation where you want to get a one sided answer thus it is a strawman because it's irrelevant since it never happened and never will happen.

I never said she's an "omnimessah". I'm saying she wan't to help people with her powers. With the gun she recived. And when she heard that 4 people were targeted and killed, she should've tried to investigate since this very much falls into her area of expertise. I don't expect her to obsess over all the worlds problems if that's what you mean by "omnimessah". And Chisato is a human, non of what I said makes her not one, despite your attmepts to strawman my arguments.

And on the topic of strawman, if a hypothetical situation that I presented wasn't relevant to what happened, the word you'd be looking for is "False equivalence". Not that you could say that about the hypothetical that I presented. It was very much relevant, since I was using to to answer the OP's argument of "nobody died so Chisato putting their lives in danger isn't out of character". Maybe learn what words mean before you use them. And learn how to take the meaning out of hypotheticals before you dismiss them.

And how the hell did I omit the combat trained part? I said lycorises have been shown to defeat adult men in combat. Did I have to specify that those men were combat trained? I hope you didn't think I meant normal civillian adult men because that would be funny. And funny you try to bring up innocents getting caught up when the reason she should try and stop him is that he killed a bunch of civilians the previous episode, and he ends up killing more because she let's him go. Chisato never thinks of how many lives were lost due to her actions. That's obvious since she never looks back and wonders if she could've prevented all of what happens later. That has been a constant complaint of mine and you don't seem interested in addressing that.

Man, your response included strawmanning (trying to imply I think Chisato should be an "omnimessah"), false claims about my arguments (Saying I omitted things, when it's just your misunderstanding), And bad faith argumentation (saying I was trying to get a "one sided response", when it's just you not understanding what the point of my hypothetical is, when you could've just asked me what the hell I meant by it). Would you like to make another response that contains even more?
Sep 23, 2022 4:40 PM

Aug 2017
Damn. This thread is pretty heated.
The amount of heat in here helped seasoned my food with salt. Let's goo!

All jokes aside, I think Chisato is an overrated character who has major flaws. Definitely a poorly written character.

Her trying to go the pacifist route will never work. It goes against Yoshimatsu's aka her savior's goal to kill. Chisato trying not to kill anyone puts her comrades at risk. Especially Takina. There is only so much that close hand to hand combat can do.

Her letting Yoshimatsu free is a big mistake because it just means more trouble later down the line. He could easily order more of his henchmen from the Alan Institute to hunt and kill Chisato. I honestly think she should've shot him for one, she can obtain the mechanical heart which can make her live longer. And two, Yoshi had deceived and lied to Chisato. He cannot be trusted nor does he care for her well being. Yoshi basically used her as a pawn to complete his dirty deeds. That is not the savior Chisato should look up to. I say he's even worse than a savior.

What also irritates me about her is that she's too soft. When her enemies get wounded, she would tend to their injuries and heal them or reduce the bleeding. Bruh she's a fucking lycoris assassin not a medic.

Hell, I think Takina is a way better character than Chisato because of her realism. She is willing to get the job done even if it means pulling the trigger to kill. She does not beat around the bush.

Sep 23, 2022 4:41 PM
Culture-sensei
Mar 2021
GrimAtrament said:
SkyhighCFC said:

you can literally check on MAL top airing. what you mean source? neither of you provided a source so I assume you are talking about on this site.

SkyhighCFC said:

I’ve only watch Nanoha ViVid but it was pretty obvious that was a lesbian relationship when Vivio talks about her “two moms”
Sep 23, 2022 4:45 PM

Feb 2010
MAL_mashu said:
GrimAtrament said:

I’ve only watch Nanoha ViVid but it was pretty obvious that was a lesbian relationship when Vivio talks about her “two moms”

you weren't around for the before nanoha Vivid.

from nanoha season 1 to 3 people would fight you if you said Nanoha was yuri. There are still a few outliers who still don't think they are despite living in the same house raising the same kid sleeping practically nude in the same bed. the list goes on, but ya they are not straight and never have been.

Sep 23, 2022 4:49 PM
Apr 2022
People are saying that this point is an average "To bring out fans" but that's wrong. Most of your points actually come together.
Sep 23, 2022 5:57 PM
May 2021
GrimAtrament said:
SkyhighCFC said:

SkyhighCFC said:

What's the correlation when comparing it to Nanoha? 2 different shows m8
Sep 24, 2022 12:50 AM
Jan 2021
steely2017 said:
agreed this Shaw has a cool concept and good story but chisato and takina have ruined for me, the only reason i'am still watching is majima

Yes my man, the only reason I'm still watching is Majima, other characters are sh*t
Sep 24, 2022 1:22 AM

May 2018
Calm down and take a chill pill. Your massive review which is null

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Sep 24, 2022 3:03 AM

Jul 2015
Don't think this is a matter of her being a bad character.

Chisato is a pacifist type of character, and these types of character usually are hypocrites, like "yeah, I'll not kill you, but hey my friend right here will do it and I don't care".

Stories centered around these types of characters usually tend to be bad/lazy written, Lycoris is pretty much like this, but to be honest, no one cares, because this is not the reason people are watching, people who's watching doesn't care about Chisato morality, this is not relevant, people is watching this anime because of the two cute girls relationship that was pretty fun and solid to see, by now no one cares about how Chisato will end, if killing or not killing someone, what everyone wants is to see a mindless happy ending.

Think about Batman, Batman doesn't kill his villains, right? Well, supposedly, because he will let them bleeding to death in a alley or something, he did not ACTUALLY killed them, the consequences did, and no one cares much about it.
Sep 24, 2022 10:58 AM

Feb 2021
alright. so we've got ourselves an anti. at least we can tell this show is getting more popular when antis come try and attack a show. anyways... L take
Sep 24, 2022 10:59 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
SkyhighCFC said:
thunderkitten667 said:

According to Niconico, Lycoris Recoil is second only to Uncle from Another world, but only as of recently, since it has been number one for the past 11 weeks. Next time do your research?

Maybe YOU should do your research, because on multiple sources (such as ABEMA) it shows that COTE is the #1 most watched anime from this season. It shocked me too, but it's clearly COTE.

You're all wrong, One Piece has the most viewers this season on Japanese TV, like pretty much every season except when Demon Slayer is on.
Sep 24, 2022 11:05 AM
May 2021
ACasualViewer said:
SkyhighCFC said:

You're all wrong, One Piece has the most viewers this season on Japanese TV, like pretty much every season except when Demon Slayer is on.

Good point tbf. I should have specified for this season's anime
Sep 24, 2022 11:42 AM
May 2016
Secret333 said:
I know fully well how many people love this character, so I am fully prepared to qualify that statement.
Full spoilers and a longish read ahead. You can skip to the last paragraph for a tldr.

If we first try to describe Chisato, she's an upbeat lycoris who used to work for the DA, now trying to find the person who gave her a second chance in life by replacing her weak heart with a mechanical one. She's the best lycoris ever, owing to her supernatural ability to dodge bullets that she had from birth, but she never wants to take away people's lives, so she uses non-lethal bullets, and goes out of her way to make sure the people she fights do not die, not even by friendly fire from their comrades.

Ignoring the mechanics of how anything I said above works, here are what I consider to be the moments that weaken or destroy her character:

1. Episode 6 starts with Takina telling Chisato that 4 lycorises lost their lives. Chisato's response to this is very careless, and it's clear she doesn't even give a shit. A moment later she's all smiles because "Takina is gonna live with me, yay!". A normal person would've had a more serious reaction to that, but Chisato should've had an even bigger reaction because of much she values people's lives, and she grew in the same environment that the dead lycorises grew up in. She recieved the same brutal training in her childhood, so the tragedy of their wasted lives should've hit her harder but no, no signs of fucks given here.
2. In episode 8 she talks with the terrorist that killed those 4 lycorises, tried to kill her two episodes ago, and massacred an entire police department who were all innocent people. We know he can't hit her with the gun, he even puts it down. Does she try to stop him? arrest him? anything? nope. he can just go away and enact his plan that leads to even more people dying. Great job Chisato!
3. In episode 9 she just straight up shoots at innocent civilians at a highway, making them lose control of their car. She's just very lucky that that didn't cause an accident that lead to them + anyone else on the road dying. Fucking Mizuki's reaction to this is also of someone who doesn't give a fuck about people's lives. "But she was dealing with a lot and she was sad at that time, that scene is there to show us that she's not herself" is a defense that someone might try. The problem is this betrays her character, her morals, and just normal common sense. I can't believe this needs to be said but you can't just shoot at people just because you're sad. And does she look back at this regretfully? nope. Zero introspection and zero acknowledgement that she endangered innocent lives. This scene reminds me of that deleted scene from Captain Marvel, if anyone knows that one.
4. Again in episode 9, when Kusonoki questions her on letting Majima go, her response is "it's not my job". Forget about what's ethical, forget about what any normal decent human being would've done if they knew someone is a terrorist and they have the ability to stop them. She gives the stupidest excuse I've ever seen and dumbass Kusonoki doesn't say anything to that.
5. In episode 10, when she finds out Mizuki and Kurumi are looking for a way to save her, she decides to close down the cafe because "I can't have you guys wasting time worrying about me". This is just selfishness. It would weigh too much on her conciouseness to have them there trying to help her, so she's just gonna force them to leave their lives in Japan and move countires on her whim. And the two dumbfucks don't even argue back against that. No speech about how much she means to them or any kind of friendship speech that actually would've been appropriate for that moment because those two are nothing but glorified plot devices.
6. This point is less of a character thing, I just wanted to point this out because it's funny. At the end of episode 11, when Majima is shooting at her and Takina, she uses her bullet proof bag to block the bullets. She did that a lot and blocked a lot of bullets, but 1 bullet just knocks the bag out of her hand and so far away it falls down out of reach. The bullet didn't even hit her hand. This is funny because had she not lost that bag there, she could've just blocked Yoshi's bullets in episode 12 when he was shooting Takina, effectively bailing her out of making the choice. I guess the writers realized this and decided that the best solution is: "uuhh she just loosens her grip on the bag and loses it. Genius!". This is just lazy writing at its finest.
7. Chisato let Takina die in episode 12. That's the truth. When that lady who works for Yoshi was charging at Takina to kill her, Chisato didn't try to stop her, which lead to Takina falling off the building. Chisato is just very very lucky Takina fell on a beam and was able to hold on to dear life when the expected scenario would be that she falls to her death.
8. Chisato let's Yoshi go free. He's the guy who funded the terrorists and lead to so many innocents dying, and tried to kill her friend, but no. He gets to go because she can't kill him. So she just can't tie him up with her convenient gun that ties people up? She can't go after him after she calmed Takina down? Nah because we let terrorist funders go free in this show.
9. The choice is bullshit. She fired a real bullet for once. Did she actually have to kill someone? No. We can't let the show be too dark so we're gonna bait the choice while having the show bail her out so now she can't learn or grow or develope in any meaningful way.
10. Majima fucking emptied a mag on her friends when they were standing in the elevator. They could all be dead if it wasn't for Fuki's quick thinking. How does she respond to that happening? She doesn't. She lets it happen and then confronts him with "Yo.". I have to assume this is planned and they're gonna do something together next episode but fucking hell, lucky none of your friends were hurt in this stunt, huh Chisato?

And all of this doesn't include her constantly shifting power levels, the uncharacteristic stupid decisions she makes, how she never wonders if people could've been saved if she killed Majima in the tower incident (The most obvious question she should be asking herself). But this thread is long enough already.

I made this thread because while I always criticized other aspects of the writing, I don't think I went too deep into characters because there was always the chance they'd develope in a good way. I don't see that happening with episode 13 but I would happily eat my words if it proved me wrong. Characters is usually the thing people point to for this show but the characters are as terrible as the rest of the show. This is a 2/10 show on a good day.

If you asked the writers to describe Chisato, I don't think any of the above would come up. It really feels like the writers ignore innocent lives and have no awareness of the implications of the decisions the characters make or do not make. But the unfortunate reality is this:

Tldr; Chisato is an extremely selfish, immoral character that can be as compitent or as incompitent as the writing needs. She doesn't want to kill people with her own hands, but gives no fucks about people dying if she's not holding the gun. She forces others to follow her whims and desires and they rarely question her. She has no compelling developement or struggle. Chisato is not a waifu bait because a jpeg of a random female character would be a better waifu than this horrendous disaster of a character.

for 1,2,3,4,and 5
yeah she's selfish that can be character developpement , the whole serie is about her doing what she likes , she's not perfect and thats the point
and about that the world is acutally not perfect too , pointing out that everyone is actually stupid , that is part of the world building too
6. yeah i can argue the "heart battery" was "kicking in" but no one's gonna agree with me Lol
but about the blocking
man they are thing called physics and logics. the fact that bag is "bullet proof" doens't mean it can stop the knockback created by the bullets
what ever i can let that go (my opinion )
and yeah her talent depends of her eyes so she can dodge only if she's looking toward the ennemy and processing the situation
7 she was in bad condition + mental shock + self doubt eveything lead her into doing bad decisions
that goes for the no 8. too
8. yeah the "i am kinda your father so she's nice to him" yeah i can let that go for the plot , ( my opinion. )
9. yeah a bit a shame ... its kinda bad for character developpement but i'm fine because that means no 2nd season which is fine by me too
10. yeah she took the bait and luckily only 1 got hurt thats for the drama and the plot i'm fine (still my opinion)

But Overall i think this is a "100 years anime" kind of anime that will never come back unless other good artist comes up with something that good like this
you will never find an anime with that much good "compromises" kind of investment in years
for exemple "cowboy bebop" with the same type of original anime
Sep 24, 2022 11:47 AM
Apr 2018
if chisato is a terrible character
then kirito is a masterpiece
and eren is shit
and death note character is all time disaster
and bible black is GOAT
Sep 24, 2022 1:15 PM

Nov 2014
good to see my suspicion was correct. i had a weird hunch about her in the 1st eps and dropped it then cuz neither the characters nor the story interested me, and ig it was the right choice since chisato really did turn out as a bad character as my intuition had suspected
Sep 24, 2022 2:40 PM

Jul 2017
Game Over dare mo nozomanai (nozomanai)
Take Over make wa mitomenai (mitomenai)

Buttobe kuso atsui iki na matsuri itadake ichiban
Yatte yare appare na jinsei ichi kara Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah

Why? Naze itsumo surinuketeku chikai you de tooi
Korosare kaketa yume wo kirai ni narenai ichizu na norainu

Katsutenai hodo no donzoko furidashi marude kozou no koro
Nani wo se ni mukau Big City sujigaki no nai mirai

Nannimo shaberanai yatsura damaraseteru dake
Fuantei na kono jiritsu shinkei no SHIISOO sake to masui suu

KASU ga ichiban toru gekokujou seigi mo toki ni reikoku mujou
NAIFU wo te ni mogaki kurushimi kirihiraku shinjidai

Zetsubou de somaru SHINARIO kuruizake yami no jidai to Fly
Maiagare hikaru mirai no densetsu to naru hi he

Nando kutabatte mo kutabarazu ni itadake ichiban
Shinjite tachimukae ima no ichi kara
Bucchake kuso dasai nan mo motanai yuusha demo ii'n da
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Sayuri, who wrote the ending song, passed away on September 20, 2024 at the age of 28

Xanek - 37 minutes ago

8 by bezardo »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Lycoris Recoil Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2022

450 by StewedBeefHaunch »»
Sep 8, 2:17 AM

» Your favourite character and scenes.

Hickykissy - Aug 24

24 by thelastavocado »»
Aug 26, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Lycoris Recoil Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2022

289 by six20 »»
Aug 19, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Lycoris Recoil Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2022

305 by Satireslovers »»
Aug 15, 9:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.