Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Aug 11, 2022 2:20 PM

Oct 2019
Instead of making updates for the things nobody asked for why dont you guys change literally ANYTHING else about mal?

Interest stacks was a great addition, for something that's 10 years late.

Why can't I have a gallery view when filtering anime/manga searches instead of being stuck on the compact list display, and where's dark theme for mal?
Why can't we add tags like "yandere, tragedy, bland MC" and so on for animes so we can find them easier
Aug 11, 2022 7:49 PM

Apr 2013
... So uh, I know I said the reviews changes was broken and bad but it was worse than I thought. Upon reading some reviews recently (Which... didn't save me time but wasted my time and was impossible to tell how biased or not the reviews were given what am about to say + what i said in my prev posts on this) I realized something was missing, a few things in fact i believe but atm the only one that stands out to me that i noticed for sure is missing is the episodes count. No offense MAL but HOW IN THE HECK did u think removing whether someone has completed the anime or not and if not, HOW many eps have they seen was a good thing?

For all i know i could be reading a review (possibly troll review...) where someone is not able to provide a fair review because they only saw a single episode out of a 10-26 ep anime series! The old system was GREAT, not perfect, but LEAGUES and WORLDS APART DISTANCE WISE better than this crappy update. D: Please its been 10 days now, revert it back already please...
Aug 12, 2022 1:49 AM
Jun 2011
I’m so excited for this new change. MAL has been ruined by trolls and idiots for years now. Finally MAL has addressed the issue which this update is obviously all about. RIP trolls

Marinate1016 said:
I really just wanna know what the mental process was to make yall think this was needed or requested? Like there's so much shit that needs to be fixed on this website, like the block system, the LN database, favourites needing to have a separate LN and manga section, decimal ratings etc etc. Just a joke of an update and shows how out of touch y'all are
wrong be gone troll

DarkSageRK said:
The featured reviews on Spy X Family are all "Recommended" which means this system didn't fix a damn thing.
how so?

Satyr_icon said:
Funny how most people supporting this change are the ones that are constantly mad at reviewers for criticising their favourite shows and go as far as badmouthing and slandering them and inventing conspiracies such a "review cartel" (lmao). All just for daring to have their own opinions.

Sad that the website is being run for these kind of attitudes.
so mad that this site was taken over by trolls and assholes who spend their time manipulating and ruining the site. RIP this I’s the best thing to happen to this site in years
StephAug 12, 2022 6:09 PM
Aug 12, 2022 7:48 AM

Dec 2016
MyOwnGod said:
New review system definitely requires some changes.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2036878&show=50#msg67139169

Simply put, it considers all types of reactions received by a review as "positive" and uses them to put odd reviews to the top. I and some other people were confused by the fact that the top 2 reviews of Yofukashi are just complaining about "pedophilia" which isn't even in the show. It took me a while to figure out the real reason.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/50346/Yofukashi_no_Uta

You see, the top two reviews have a bunch of "Confusing" reactions, which basically means that they didn't make much sense to people and "Funny", which can be interpreted as a review being considered nonsensical. Those two are, pretty much, the closest this site currently has for a downvote. Basically, the top two reviews are the most DOWNVOTED, but with the current system they get to the top as the most liked. Does it even make any sense? Out of the top reviews the first has only around 100 Likes, the second has only 50, while the third has 250. Basically right now reviews get to the top based on the number of reactions, it doesn't matter if they're positive or negative ones. That leads to controversial and straight offensive reviews getting to the top, is this really what people want?

Also, yeah. I think that most people would agree that we want to see the rating of the review before reading it fully. And, for most people me included, ratings like 5/10 or 6/10 mean "not recommend" or "mediocre at best".

This is what I had to say. In fact, it's just now reviews by mentally disabled are on top and with most likes.

And emoji are still cringe as fuck. 😭
Aug 12, 2022 9:34 AM

Apr 2022
KingCrucible said:
MyOwnGod said:

Simply put, it considers all types of reactions received by a review as "positive" and uses them to put odd reviews to the top. I and some other people were confused by the fact that the top 2 reviews of Yofukashi are just complaining about "pedophilia" which isn't even in the show. It took me a while to figure out the real reason.

You see, the top two reviews have a bunch of "Confusing" reactions, which basically means that they didn't make much sense to people and "Funny", which can be interpreted as a review being considered nonsensical. Those two are, pretty much, the closest this site currently has for a downvote. Basically, the top two reviews are the most DOWNVOTED, but with the current system they get to the top as the most liked. Does it even make any sense? Out of the top reviews the first has only around 100 Likes, the second has only 50, while the third has 250. Basically right now reviews get to the top based on the number of reactions, it doesn't matter if they're positive or negative ones. That leads to controversial and straight offensive reviews getting to the top, is this really what people want?

Also, yeah. I think that most people would agree that we want to see the rating of the review before reading it fully. And, for most people me included, ratings like 5/10 or 6/10 mean "not recommend" or "mediocre at best".

This is what I had to say. In fact, it's just now reviews by mentally disabled are on top and with most likes.

And emoji are still cringe as fuck. 😭

This. Emojis suck, remove them and just randomize the reviews.
I may make you feel but I can't make you think.

Aug 12, 2022 10:03 AM

Feb 2019
Mangaman162 said:
Marinate1016 said:
I really just wanna know what the mental process was to make yall think this was needed or requested? Like there's so much shit that needs to be fixed on this website, like the block system, the LN database, favourites needing to have a separate LN and manga section, decimal ratings etc etc. Just a joke of an update and shows how out of touch y'all are
wrong be gone troll

The irony of calling someone a troll after writing out a one sentence reply of drivel.
Aug 12, 2022 1:09 PM
Dec 2014
The visible number for ratings worked much better. You can't "solve" the problem where certain reviewers are high or low outliers for ratings across the board by pigeonholing every review into three categories and hiding the numerical rating. That makes it worse. Now we have to expand every rating and scroll down through each egotistical essay to see the actual number.

YouTube went the snowflake route by hiding negative reactions to protect content creators. Steam reviews are a much more applicable to this review system because the reviewers didn't make the content of what is being reviewed and PURPOSEFULLY put their opinion out on this website with the knowledge and expectation that some people will disagree. Trying to stamp out disagreement only serves as a detriment to the users of the website. Only allowing positive reactions to reviews is cowardly and prevents proper filtering of reviews.
Aug 13, 2022 1:21 AM

Feb 2021
Emronnn said:
I'm beginning to fear that they won't do anything about it. This is really sad... most people don't want this change, maybe a few people at most. I've been following this topic from the beginning and it's downright clear that the review system needs to be changed. People here have a lot of cool ideas about what can be done about it, so why not listen to some of that advice?

I think so too. At least listen to people's opinions and make dislike button too! It is necessary!
Aug 13, 2022 7:26 AM

Oct 2015
Great update. But I need a databased update for my manhua and Manhwa. Their original name are still written as "Japanese" instead South Korea or China :(
Aug 13, 2022 2:37 PM
Aug 2018
I don't mind the new emojis and I think a new sorting system that shows some newer reviews is good. And I don't care about negative feedback being implemented. But please show numeric scores on the top of the reviews, and add back the number of episodes the reviewer has seen.
Aug 13, 2022 5:40 PM

Feb 2021
this update sucks. don't recall anyone asking for it. how it is even a review system if you cant see what someone scored it or you cant downvote it? seems like a forced way for all reviews to be positive. kinda like youtube with their removal of the dislike button

"𝘏𝘦𝘺, 𝘏𝘢𝘤𝘩𝘪... 𝘕𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘳 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘰𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘯 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳, 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘢 𝘸𝘢𝘴𝘵𝘦."
⁻𝘕𝘢𝘯𝘢 𝘖𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘪
Aug 13, 2022 9:38 PM

Aug 2015
MyOwnGod said:

In other words those reviews are getting ratio'd to the top.
Aug 14, 2022 12:23 AM

Jan 2015
Put the reviewer's numerical score next to the recommended/not-recommended and I will accept this out of touch update.
Aug 14, 2022 3:50 AM

Jul 2008
Good updates. I like that you're changing how reviews are displayed on pages soon. Hopefully this will encourage more people to write reviews if they know their work won't get buried. I also like that the score categories (art, story, characters, etc.) have been removed. I feel like that guided some reviewers into writing a bit of a narrow, bullet point type of review.

I've just changed some of my reviews from 'Recommended' to 'Mixed Feelings', but these edits don't seem to have applied yet on either the anime/manga pages, or on my profile. I guess there's some delay.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Aug 14, 2022 3:32 PM

Mar 2017
My 2 cents:
I don't like the Recommend/Mixed/Don't Recommend system. I definitely would never recommend a a show that I rated below a 7. Plus the categories are just way too broad. Please bring back the numerical rating system.

No point in adding different kinds of reactions if none of the reactions are negative.

Go back to displaying 4 reviews instead of 3 on the main anime page.
Aug 14, 2022 4:48 PM
May 2018
I think mixing up what reviews appear on the front page is a good thing as seeing the same few names for every fucking anime gets tiresome real quick, especially if they write some drivel every time that you rarely agree with. See some people here call it clout chasing which in some cases I gotta agree with.

Negative feedback needs to be a thing though. There's just too many troll or really really poorly written reviews on this site since anyone can write a review. If anyone can write a review however they like then people should be able to give appropriate feedback, not just positive ones.

The recommend/mixed/not recommended option is a fine addition, but I think the numerical rating should still stay. Overall not a bad update compared to how barebones the system was before, but not really an improvement either.
Aug 14, 2022 5:07 PM

Nov 2007
As someone with a background and expertise in user centered design, this redesign is only going to perpetuate a lot of the negativity introduced on other social forums. While the intention of providing more "reactions" beyond helpful/not helpful isn't necessarily bad, when you provide quick, simple emojis to do so, and especially give weight and prominence to "Like" as that is what people are familiar with (and I know you've called it "Nice" here, but let's call a spade a spade shall we?), you are encouraging a simplistic value judgment, rather than rewarding deeper thought.

If you look at whether something is helpful or not, the focus is to determine if the content serves a need. While that need can be individually determined, the measurement itself puts into frame of mind a different sort of value call and thought process than does, "Did I like this or not?" When you try to minimize something to "did I like it?" you are automatically enforcing binary and simple thinking because that question implies that there are only 2 outcomes: I liked it, or I didn't. There's no further thought provoked. And I can like or not like something for completely arbitrary reasons. It forces the user to be self-centered and consume all content through a lens of personal judgement (I liked this, I didn't), which only helps fuel flame wars, minimizing other viewpoints. I can appreciate something without having to like it. But if you provide mechanisms designed to be addictive by nature of their interaction that encourage me to basically see everything as "good/bad," then that's quickly where all conversation goes. I genuinely think the introduction of the "Like" button has been the single most destructive concept to online discourse. And it's such a shame to see the same concepts making their way here. If I could wave my design wand and undo 1 thing in the history of the internet, it would be the Like button.

A better approach, if your goal is to encourage thoughtful reviews, would be to allow other users of the site to ideally put in a line or two about why they found the review helpful. Barring that, at the least, focus on inputs that emphasize the value reviews bring (the well-written option, for example, is closer to where you'd ideally want to go. But this could be further broken down into "grammatically solid," for example). You can have icons associated with this, but really, you want written out tags, not just emojis, if you want to encourage thoughtful behavior and not just knee-jerk self-centered judgement. Another approach is to keep most of this hidden from other users and tie it to tags/icons that get associated with the actual reviewer once a threshold is met.

Further, if we're going for value add and nuance, then why not enforce a minor template where I as the reviewer can put up front what my top 2 things I look for in an anime are along with things I will not touch? If I can see form a review that a given reviewer, say, finds the music to be a one of their big things they look for in an anime, and I do, too, then I can say, "Hey! This might be someone whose list I should check out." Or, for example, if I see someone's major turn off is sexism and I also want to avoid that, then I can put more weight on how they rate a given thing. To that end, maybe this isn't shown to users on a per review basis, but every reviewer can put in a line or two for highlights and what could be better about an anime and then the top tags can be an overall stat rating for the show (this could be a cool feature that would help folks avoid those sexist shows or find anime with wicked mech designs, etc...). I think from a design perspective you should be looking for how to improve the quality/engagement of the reviews/reviewers, not "engagement" of the consumers of the reviews.

I'm also not a fan of replacing the score with the recommended/mixed feelings/not recommended. It's fine if you add that as an extra piece of data in conjunction with the score, but replacing it entirely is going to trivialize reviews in and of themselves (if they all fall into the same categories so I see it over and over, what exactly is my incentive to read more than 2 reviews total? Just one for and one against? It makes all the content at the top end look similar, which makes it easier to quickly glance over; thereby, creating in the user a willingness to dismiss it all). People hated when Netflix took away the 5 stars because it robs all nuance and encourages being that mindless binary. A big reason they've now gone to the 3 level system. But even then, what is the behavior you're seeking from your audience? I also liked MAL because it was a community with good discussion. These design features may encourage more "engagement," but that engagement from the design is guaranteed to be shallow.

It'd really behoove you all to determine what you wish the community to look like, then seriously think over what designs might drive that behavior. And not focus on what is common elsewhere. Just because a design is common, doesn't make it good. Once you've got an idea, test that on a small scale and see how that impacts behavior and mindset against the design principles you are trying to achieve. Is a principal rigorous debate? Is a principal a sense of belonging and friendship? Is a principal valuing users' time? Is a principal joy? Those principals will require very different designs than do principals of "user views," "click throughs," and "time spent," which have been the unfortunate internet drivers that have gotten us to where we are today.
TsumayoujiAug 14, 2022 5:18 PM
Aug 15, 2022 4:00 PM

Apr 2016
1. "More feedback options beyond "Helpful"" but still no way to comment on reviews or dislike bad reviews
2. Why move review score to the bottom? There's an empty space at the top where it used to be anyway
3. What happened to "preliminary rating"? Now it's very hard to tell which reviews are outdated for 0 reason
Aug 15, 2022 8:08 PM

Jul 2013
What happened to the "not helpful?" Now we will not know how many people think a review is not helpful. Plus, now I have to click more to see the actual score at the bottom of the review. It should be at the top, like how it was, not before. Also, allowing people to reply/comment towards a review is helpful and provides good discussion, and allows people to think on a more deeper level too.
Aug 16, 2022 2:43 PM

Feb 2018
2 weeks since launch and the emojis are already being heavily misused, all you see everywhere is an out of control spamming of the "Confused" and "Funny" emoji.

Did the admins really expect people to use the emojis for their intended purposes?

What is the point of having a "Informative", "Creative" or a "Well-written" emoji, when no one so far has been actually using them?

I feel that the emojis are the biggest flaw with this new review system. They make an otherwise polished feature feel like an elementary school project ridden by ideals and wishful thinking.
Aug 18, 2022 12:29 AM

Nov 2019
SomeNewGuy said:
They make an otherwise polished feature feel like an elementary school project ridden by ideals and wishful thinking.

agreed. while i like the more modern and polished design those emojis are completely unnecessary and way too easily abusable. the only one we need is the 'this review is helpful' button. removing the other ones would actually make this a pretty good update imo.

xㅤㅤxㅤㅤx
『 胡桃 』
anime list⠀/⠀manga list
Aug 18, 2022 3:36 AM
Aug 2022
i created an account just to post to this topic once

please return the review rating number to the top

i've never read a single word on the reviews and don't care a tiny bit about "drama", "cartel", "seasonal reviewers" or whatever the devs thought is the problem of review system

i only ever glanced through the review numbers to get a rough idea of whats a general reaction to the series beyond just the overall rating number, which isn't very good metric when most of all the anime average rating revolves around 7,5

here is an idea: replace the entire "top reviews" feature of an anime front page with this kind of graph of all user reviews (yes, the dropdown menu ratings, not written review) of the show as seen on visual novel database: (and iirc ANN too?)
https://vndb.org/v19273

that i've found to be my favourite way to get an idea of how a title is received at a glance.
then you can move the worded reviews into its own tab (like vndb) and people who need to get told what to think of a series instead of watching it can go read worded reviews over there.

i also just want to express heavy disagreement about yet another website turning from the traditional and understandable 1-10 scale and discussion format into modern social media norm of "emojis" and disallowing of negative expression of any form. at that point you might as well just remove worded reviews. there's no point in writing one if you aren't willing to discuss your opinion on the series with other users.
Aug 18, 2022 9:50 AM

Dec 2012
aLiteralNobody said:

here is an idea: replace the entire "top reviews" feature of an anime front page with this kind of graph of all user reviews (yes, the dropdown menu ratings, not written review) of the show as seen on visual novel database: (and iirc ANN too?)
https://vndb.org/v19273

I like the idea. In many situations, people were mainly interested in how reviewers rated a title. Interesting, this option is currently available in the "Stats" section under each anime title, but it would be nice to put it somewhere on the main page of a given anime.

I still think the emoji should be removed, this is one of the weakest ideas I've seen here since.... no, I don't think I've ever seen such a bad idea here as the one with rating using emoji.
Aug 19, 2022 1:24 AM
Aug 2018
I find it much more frustrating to scroll through reviews now just to get a general feeling for what people thought about a show. I'm genuinely considering creating a Chromium extension just to bring the review score back up to the top, so I don't have to click "Show More" and scroll all the way to the bottom of the review just to see if a "Recommended" was a 10 or a 7 (which, on MAL, is an enormous difference).
Aug 19, 2022 7:04 AM

Nov 2012
What a great update! The section has been improved in many ways, so thank you. :)

It is true that the Funny/Confusing emojis look a bit out of place though.
On the topic of negative reactions - I understand the reasoning, on the other hand it would be good to have something to express our disagreement with the review. For example, some review can have 200 likes, but the people who did not like it probably did not vote at all. If they did, the review could have 200 likes and 250 dislikes. No one is interested in like wars, but still it makes sense to be able to react somehow to people who critizise unreasonably etc.
☩☩☩ MALoween 2023 ☩☩☩

x14
Aug 19, 2022 8:45 AM

Apr 2015
Not a fan of this update. Old layout was better
Aug 20, 2022 2:31 PM

Sep 2014
What the fuck are those emojis for. Just why?
Aug 20, 2022 3:02 PM
Aug 2022
Love it
Aug 21, 2022 12:54 PM
Reviewer

Apr 2012
JimmyGodShoes said:

I agree with this idea completely. Adding the score in this format would fix the score issue. Crazy that the website still hasn't fixed the reviews after all of this backlash. Not sure what the issue is or why they're taking so long, it's pretty easy to code and I probably could've coded it in one day or less.

On another note, the reactions feature is really bad for reviews. Now, reviews rise to the top even if they're bad because people are confused while reading it. If you're going to have various emotes, then some should be positive and some should be negative. Negative emotes should either have a neutral effect or reduce the overall "score" of the reactions for review ranking.

I've been seeing a good number of poor quality reviews making it to the top because of the new system.

Aug 22, 2022 12:48 PM

Jul 2021
So have there been any updates or announcements since the initial changes?

I couldn't find any posts on the Updates forum or this thread. Was there something on social media perhaps?
Aug 24, 2022 10:52 AM
Nov 2021
Manaban said:
Kineta said:
allow review readers to give different types of feedback to the review writer beyond "helpful"

well yeah that's sweet when will we be allowed to express disagreement with reviews in any way whatsoever at all

because all you did was add various forms of praising the content

like, a hi five is still a hi five no matter if you want to go up top or down low

I'm not even asking for downvotes to return just let there be some kind of way for people to say "I don't think this guy does a good job representing the series at all"

literally anything would suffice at this point, like just letting us criticize specific reviews when the topic comes up without calling it harassment/trolling, there's not even a need for a button if that gets a pass

there is such an incredible fear of any negativity touching reviewers at all that it leads to suffocating and punishing civil expressions of disagreement and it is absolutely ridiculous, can we just revisit that in some way

Nah we can't disagree with people anymore remember? We all have to live in a nice little echo chamber where we all agree with each other.
Aug 24, 2022 4:43 PM

Dec 2012
So, numerical score ranking is bad now because it hurts people feelings? Numbers is an old concept that only belongs to millennials now?
Please return to the basics (helpful/not helpful + 1-10 score rank), any attempt at making things fancy will at the end, make them worst.
Don't penalize all users because a bunch of people abused the system.
Aug 24, 2022 11:03 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
For the most part, the MAL I fell in love with and convinced over a dozen people to join has remained decent...with the exception of review ratings(or lack thereof), where negative feed back to reviews are non-existent. I understand that this website has come under Japanese control and the older population still see negative feedback as taboo but this website is still primarily western where negative feed back of normal and we need to keep that in mind, goddammit.
Aug 26, 2022 9:19 PM

Feb 2011
The only thing the forum was missing is the option to downvote.
but until we get a proper downvote, i'll be "confused" or "funny" for every trash review that i can't properly downvote.

even the "not helpful" was better than this useless downgrade.

Aug 26, 2022 11:27 PM

Oct 2008
This is so annoying!
With the recent update, when every time i update the episode watched of an Anime Series, there's always a pop-up review to rate it from 1 star to 5 star.
That pop-up is freaking ANNOYING!
Is there anyway to disable that feature???
I've been using MAL to keep track of my already watched Anime episodes since Oct 2008 till this date, that's a whole lot entire 14 years!! so it is very inconvenient for me to adapt the changes...so again: IS THERE ANYWAY TO DISABLE THAT FEATURE?????!?

EDIT: NEVERMIND -> I already found the solution: "Ask to Discuss? - Do not ask if I want to discuss an episode"

sorry for my attitude, cuz i don't have a lot of time reviewing/reading/skimming the changelog updates...

BTW great Lead Admin Kineta, it seems like you like Chimimo...well i also like this Chimimo show! AHIHI!!
matias067Aug 26, 2022 11:37 PM

Aug 27, 2022 4:40 AM

Mar 2018
We couldn't even rate the animes with decimals, but now MAL prefers to show cringe emojis than reviews ratings.
Aug 27, 2022 7:06 AM

Feb 2010
If you are annoyed with the reviewer's score being hidden I made a quick script to fix that. Will have to update it for the reviews page later and move it to the right instead of the left btw

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2039272

Shishio-kunAug 27, 2022 7:13 AM
Aug 27, 2022 11:51 AM

Oct 2015
It is late but people still are talking about this, so I'm going to add that I think this review system is an improvement, so people can finally stop "hate reviewing" or trying to grab attention with reviews. Now the number of actual reviews will grow. Were are still missing a downvote option though.
Aug 27, 2022 12:59 PM

May 2021
Please remove recommendations every time I updated an episode

It is really annoying for someone that watches many shows to have to go through this for every series I update

https://imgur.com/a/74QDjM4

give us an option to turn this off please
Never Give Up
Aug 27, 2022 5:20 PM

Sep 2010
SaeLiuS said:
It is late but people still are talking about this, so I'm going to add that I think this review system is an improvement, so people can finally stop "hate reviewing" or trying to grab attention with reviews. Now the number of actual reviews will grow. Were are still missing a downvote option though.
...and you clearly didn't either read any of the replies here or checked how the already written reviews are holding. If anything, people will continue to do so-called "hate reviews" (hint: a negative review is also a legit review) with multiplied efforts. Because now other people use "Confusing" and "Funny" as negative reactions, but it will elevate reviews anyway. So, yeah, the number of reviews absolutely will grow, but hate (intended) to break it to you, it won't be the reviews you consider as so-called "actual" (hint: there is no potential reviews, every review is actual). So yes, we need a negative option, or reviews will turn into a clown show.
There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Aug 28, 2022 1:27 AM

Oct 2008
CoMpUtErMiNuN said:
Please remove recommendations every time I updated an episode

It is really annoying for someone that watches many shows to have to go through this for every series I update

https://imgur.com/a/74QDjM4

give us an option to turn this off please

hey it seems like you didn't read my post...so let me solve it for you:

go to Profile Settings >> then click "List" tab >> then look for "Ask to Discuss?" >> then change it to: "Do not ask if I want to discuss an episode"

Aug 28, 2022 3:13 AM

Mar 2014
Man I hate this update. I think the review system became convoluted for no reason. First off, not seeing the score of the review from the get-go is annoying because you have to scroll through everything to see the reviewer's score. The recommended/mixed feelings/not recommended feature is also a bit redundant, since it doesn't offer much and it can be easily misinterpreted due to its heavily subjective nature. I saw someone scoring a show 7/10 and stating 'mixed feelings'. The standard numerical system is much more objective and easier to discern. The emojis are also a huge turn-off, i think if we absolutely need to have negative reactions to reviews, then the 'helpful'/ not helpful buttons we used to have back in 2014-2015 were much more efficient. The emojis are useless, cringe and they can also be used to troll reviewers. No one will use them accordingly, which is why we have so many funny and confused reactions to reviews.

Idk what compelled MAL to change the review system of all things, when no one was against it and its minor flaws could be erased with a few minor tweaks. There are so many more things one can fix on MAL, like the apparent lack of LNs or manga that have not even been registered for years.
Aug 28, 2022 5:21 AM
May 2017
When you see review scores 8-9-8-7 or 10-7-6-8 or 6-7-8-5 or 1-3-5-9 you much better understand human opinions rather then 'recommend' or 'not recommend'
Change back plz (I know that you wouldn't but anyway)
Aug 28, 2022 6:51 AM

Jun 2012
I'm explicitly looking for a number rating in reviews. Why would you hide this? Let users make up their own minds about meaning.

It's also far quicker to scan through than the default tags of Recommended, Mixed Feelings, or Not Recommended, and these ones aren't useful.

A 4/10 compared to a 6/10 provides more information to the reader than 'Mixed Feelings' for both.

A 7/10 is hardly a full recommendation, and it's nowhere near a 10/10. Which better approximates a masterpiece? There are millions of reviews that have misleading tags now.
Aug 28, 2022 12:03 PM

Oct 2020
Pray a mod or admin sees this.

It would be amazing if we could get decimal ratings bc it’s been way too long. I know that many people would like to rate their series in a different way then just a number. Maybe similar to AniList where you have scoring freedom and can implement any type of score. Anyone in charge that reads this, thank you for your time. 🙏

"Hard work is worthless for those that don’t believe in themselves" - Naruto Uzumaki
Aug 28, 2022 12:58 PM

Feb 2010
JayDaAnimeLord said:
Pray a mod or admin sees this.

It would be amazing if we could get decimal ratings bc it’s been way too long. I know that many people would like to rate their series in a different way then just a number. Maybe similar to AniList where you have scoring freedom and can implement any type of score. Anyone in charge that reads this, thank you for your time. 🙏

I'm sure they'd appreciate that suggestion but they know this is heavily requested already; it's been brought up a lot in the suggestions forums since the site began. As far as I know, the staff has never been in favor of it.

I agree with the decimal system suggestion though, because anime in the 6-9 range could be split up. This is usually because you're trying to order your favorites and top scores, which makes sense. Regarding that, there's even been custom layouts by some very smart users that order the top scored anime on the user's list by default, but these were never released to the public and used third-party stuff.

For your own list, you could aesthetically add a decimal, but it's visual-only and honestly it's quite tricky to implement this.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1640096#msg56466319
Shishio-kunAug 28, 2022 1:04 PM
Aug 29, 2022 6:43 PM

May 2020
crazy after a month of non stop backlash they have still not reverted it
Aug 30, 2022 4:37 AM

Jun 2011
CickNipolla said:
crazy after a month of non stop backlash they have still not reverted it

They are basically just waiting for people to stop complaining. MAL doesn't give a shit what the users want.
NarmyAug 30, 2022 3:18 PM
Aug 30, 2022 9:17 AM

Oct 2018
SaeLiuS said:
And what "actual reviews", exactly? Those poor quality subjective ones?

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Aug 30, 2022 2:35 PM

Oct 2015
kitsune0 said:
SaeLiuS said:
...and you clearly didn't either read any of the replies here or checked how the already written reviews are holding. If anything, people will continue to do so-called "hate reviews" (hint: a negative review is also a legit review) with multiplied efforts. Because now other people use "Confusing" and "Funny" as negative reactions, but it will elevate reviews anyway. So, yeah, the number of reviews absolutely will grow, but hate (intended) to break it to you, it won't be the reviews you consider as so-called "actual" (hint: there is no potential reviews, every review is actual). So yes, we need a negative option, or reviews will turn into a clown show.

Yeah, I didn't read anything. Honestly, I don't care that much to be wasting my time on that. I was a bit imprecise though, with "hate review" I meant people that don't like a very specific point, for example, then proceed to rate the anime with a 1 and write a book about how bad it was, even though the series is one of the top 10 best rated. I mean, you can dislike it, obviously, not everyone likes everything the same, but no one is going to believe that 1. The previous review system is just a window to rant about something and get attention.

The old review system, if properly used, is better than the actual one that's for sure. But only if properly used, in that regard the new one is better to take the motivation away from ranters, as you can write a book about not liking a certain anime, but your rating is just "not recommended" hahaha.

Well like I said, I don't care that much, and probably won't come back to read or write another reply about this topic, y already wasted enough time. Good luck, bye bye
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Fall 2024 ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Sep 12

130 by weenbeans »»
2 hours ago

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Jul 30

332 by vulcab »»
5 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by badabass »»
Sep 17, 5:59 PM

» Join MAL's Moderator Team!

Kineta - Sep 12

0 by Kineta »»
Sep 12, 7:26 PM

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

124 by Chronowarp »»
Sep 10, 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.