Forum Settings
Forums

Are your watching habits influenced by the hype train created by social media?

New
May 2, 2021 4:55 AM
Aug 2013
Hi

I would like to know whether your watching habits - what you watch and your enjoyment of it - have been influenced by the rise of social media. Especially taking the slew of battle shounen anime we have been seeing (funded by let's say foreign companies - American one's) being heavily promoted on social media platforms such as instagram, Facebook or Twitter. Do you think that has affected your ratings? or other's ratings and do you agree that hype (created by social media instead of how good the source of the anime - manga - is Or how good the anime is regardless of the source) has been a determining factor (Stand-up Kakegurui) in your viewing, other's viewing that particular anime and consequently the ratings of it?

Thanks for any feedback
May 2, 2021 5:04 AM

Mar 2019
I rarely get hyped over people hyping up something. Even when i do, i tend to forget it quick.

Also...
> whether your watching habits - what you watch and your enjoyment of it - have been influenced by the rise of social media.
Not really. Usually i just watch whatever i want, and my enjoyment is based merely on my opinion of the anime.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
May 2, 2021 5:10 AM

Mar 2020
I don't use social media.

I don't really get hyped often and when I do it is self inflicted. Usually when an anime I want more seasons of finally gets them after like 5 years I get a bit excited.
May 2, 2021 5:28 AM
Apr 2021
If anything it's more likely to be the opposite, because I find hyperbolic hype and fandom:ism to be really annoying.

So much of it is artifical, and companies know this and actively incentivize it.
For as much as you can criticize Disney for, they're really good at creating artificial hype and capitalizing on herd mentality.
Often times the success of something has a lot more to do with marketing than the actual quality of the product.
May 2, 2021 7:53 AM

Jan 2020
On winter 2020 (last year) i was influenced with popularity of Darwin's Game , but it ended up being the worst show I've ever watch, so yeah I stopped following mainstream voice and focused more on synopsis while picking series to watch.

But sometimes I need a bit hype to watch a show. It's very annoying that I'm the only one who follow Appare Ranman and Deca Dence last year, i just felt it's boring without other. That's a reason why I delete Super Cub on my PTW in March before I put it back since iQiYi aired it and the hype train is big
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
May 2, 2021 7:58 AM

Jun 2016
No I don't get excited for something because other people are excited and I also don't use social media. I do watch stuff that are popular on this website and on /a/ or /m/ though if that counts.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 2, 2021 7:58 AM

Aug 2018
not really, i rarely use social media anyway
May 2, 2021 7:59 AM

Jul 2019
i mostly use twitter for updates on games and stuff but when i do see some hype usually it ends up with me trying the show and dropping it after 3-6 eps (happened with demon slayer and jujutsu kaisen)
May 2, 2021 8:19 AM

Jan 2017
I don't use social media platforms outside of debatably MAL itself and Youtube, so no, they aren't.
May 2, 2021 8:25 AM

Feb 2021
I haven’t bothered to watched Higehiro yet, but I watched JJK. So maybe.
May 2, 2021 8:30 AM

Jan 2019
As close to never as it's possible to get without actually being never.

It takes an incredible effort to make me buy into any hype-train. And while I might miss out on that "OMG this is gonna be fucking boss!" feeling, I get the "Wow, that was a pleasant surprise!" feeling a whole lot more.

Also, I dodge a lot of disappointment.
May 2, 2021 9:27 AM

Apr 2019
I was often influenced by social networks in this regard, especially when I was younger, and that's how I saw anime like sword art online and dragonball z.

Nowadays I only watch what I really like, but I still take a look at anime that are being very popular.
May 2, 2021 9:30 AM

Apr 2017
No, you can hype a show up to high heaven but if it turns out its a garbage anime, I will give whatever rating it earns. I will watch show regardless if its hyped or not anyway so that's not affected either.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
May 2, 2021 9:33 AM

Sep 2018
I could start an anime because of the hype train, but if it's trash I will not pretend to like it.
May 2, 2021 9:53 AM

Feb 2020
Only social media I use nowadays is MAL. We got something called "hate hype" here. It makes me want to watch those anime more. But whether its good or bad is a different thing can only be judged after watching. Though in my experience most of the times hate hypes turns out to be good or atleast watchable.
AdampkMay 2, 2021 10:00 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 2, 2021 10:18 AM

Jul 2013
No, I just read the synopsis, look at a few pics and the trailer, then if it's good, I'll watch it
May 2, 2021 11:25 AM

Mar 2021
nope, I'm not easily falls into. I more likely prefer CGDCT and not to heavy action/adventure rather than Shonen/Isekai anime and mostly hype anime is Shonen/Isekai/weird Action . the only overhyped anime is Demon Slayer and I watch AoT and BnHA before its crazily overhyped and I didn't watch AoT S3 onwards because its starting overhyped then become a cult, for BnHA I'm planning watching S5 when its finished so I can watch Batch watching.
k, imma gonna disappear
May 2, 2021 11:38 AM

Mar 2018
The closest thing I use to social media is MAL and YouTube and even YouTube I don’t watch anime youtubers so not really. Also given my anime ratings seem to drop off significantly in the 2010”s and on, I doubt the newer foreign funded ones are getting much of a boost on my ratings. Having said that, I tend to watch anime that are popular which may be influenced by promotion on social media platforms
May 2, 2021 12:37 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
I don't think so. If I like something, I'll like it regardless

May 2, 2021 12:52 PM

Jul 2020
In terms of what I watch, yeah. I watch things that I see on social media. I don't see much of a problem with that. In anything, I'm being exposed to animes that I might've not been able to seen if it weren't for social media.

In terms of my ratings, no. I rate based on how much I enjoy the show, not what I think the show deserves based on its hype or reputation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2021 12:57 PM

Nov 2015
No. I don't really use social media apps outside Youtube and I don't usually watch anime related things on Youtube.
May 2, 2021 1:07 PM

Jul 2016
Not at all. Hype is usually centered around seasonal shows and I'm always 3 or 4 seasons behind.
May 2, 2021 1:25 PM

Jul 2013
Yes, somewhat. If I see a lot of people on my Twitter timeline talking about a anime, my interest will increase and I may watch it. That's how I started BNHA 2 years ago, then Demon Slayer and Haikyuu.

At the same time, there's stuff I watch that I see no one on my timeline talking about (Boruto, Fire Force, etc.) and there's anime/manga I see people raving about that I don't care to consume right now (JJK, Chainsaw Man).
May 2, 2021 1:28 PM

Jan 2021
Not really, plus I rarely use social media outside from MAL.
May 2, 2021 1:55 PM

May 2020
Rarely.

I can't remember when that happened last time with anime, but I might pick Fire Punch (which is a manga with no anime yet BTW) because of a meme.

Speaking of Fujimoto, yeah, I will surely watch Chainsaw man.

May 2, 2021 2:14 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
No, I like what I like. I won't like a thing just because 20 people liked it. But if the series is popular, I'd be interested to watch it.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

May 2, 2021 2:18 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Honestly? I think I could benefit from allowing social media to dictate what I watch a lil bit more
Generally I tend to do my own thing without considering others' opinions
May 2, 2021 3:22 PM

Jul 2019
No and I don't need social media to know if an anime is being hyped or whatever. :p
Life is a despicable endurance race
May 2, 2021 3:38 PM

Feb 2020
I don't follow trend if I usually watch underrated gems per season and skip hyped up bt later after completion I watch them in bulk

More topics from this board

» Modern Animes That Bring Back Childhood Memories

tahikiry - 9 hours ago

9 by Quadruple_Oi »»
47 seconds ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 )

Cestlavie_ - 3 hours ago

51 by DigiCat »»
1 minute ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - Yesterday

15 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» How generous are you with your 10s ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

n6ah - Apr 22, 2021

210 by LordCrueltyV »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?

Xypheron - 3 hours ago

24 by Rosy_Rose »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.