Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Oct 11, 2018 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
Too much crying in this episode with the supermodel diamond tears. Music kind of drowned out the exchange of letters not from the doll between damian and the princess. Not really something to criticize, but the relationship was creepy to me. We got some characterization of the teacher in episode 3. Violet stays the same personality-wise but does an out-of-character moment. That's not character development, that's inconsistent characterization. ED theme sounds like it's coming from the nose, dampened the moments at the end. They're breaking the "show don't tell" rule for the war all the time. Worse episode than the previous one.
removed-userOct 11, 2018 4:53 PM
Oct 20, 2018 11:03 PM

Sep 2016
I'm amazed how they can pull out something new and awesome in every single episode.
Usually this kind of genre isn't my cup of tea, but it's not boring at all so far. Hopefully it keeps getting better~
Nov 19, 2018 9:57 PM

Nov 2013
Meh. Better than the last episode, but not by much. Charlotte crying in every scene got on my nerves real quick.

Dec 15, 2018 7:50 PM

Jun 2015
14 huh, was expecting violet to be more of 17 or something... but i suppose being 14 adds onto the fact she really is a child who doesn't know anything more than war.
Dec 27, 2018 1:48 PM

Mar 2016
In a few months, Violet turned from someone who can only write reports into a high classed auto memoirs doll that answers directly to the princess. Now that's impressive! The other auto memoirs doll that answers directly to the prince is Cattleya, known to be the best of her class. SO now Violet has reached that high!? That's even more impressive!

Violet did say that she's around 14 years old. Even if she looks more mature for her age, realistically, she should be about 16, 17 or 18 years old at the present time.

Whoa, this romantic relationship between the princess and prince turned out to be surprisingly entertaining for this 1 episode! I like how Violet cooperated with Cattleya to encourage the prince and princess to write letters for each other by themselves, with some assistance. In the end, their marriage, though not shown is quite heartwarming!

But that's nothing compared to seeing Violet smiling genuinely for the first time!!! That sight is beautiful! I have to ingrain this into my mind...

Oh shiiiiiit... Violet has finally begun to settle with her new life as an auto memoirs doll, but now it seems that she has to face the dark past that she has left behind.
(That sequence of Violet slaughtering the sailors on the boat was cool!)
Dec 30, 2018 2:09 PM
Sep 2018
In this episode Violet's job is to not do her job. This is both ironic and hilarious. Also they turned a propaganda exchange of letters into a narrative in which the public is entertained by hanging on every word and probably waiting a week or two between each letter. Hilarious.

Also there is no way in hell that Violet in 14. 16 at least. Probably 18.
Jan 23, 2019 6:59 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Amazing, Violet now is taking care of ghostwriting a letter that can basically decide the future of a country, this is a big deal for both her, her country and her Auto Memoir Doll agency. I feel very proud.
So Violet is supposed to be around fourteen? I expected something around 17 to 19, they kept calling her a child but still, I never saw her like one, I mean, just look at her, she looks like a mature functional member of society I don't know how others came into the conclusion of calling her a child.
I don't know if this sort of thing was common back in the day, but looking at the citizens react to the love letter exchange looked like something entertaining, all parties cheering for either side like a spot event.
I don't know man, the prince seemed to have been trying his best to dodge a bullet thereby stalling for as far as he can, as though he was trying to make up every excuse to not marry that princess.
Don't forget to watch the after credits scene, there is something very big and controversial there, it sure will steer this show in a different direction.
I really love the episode's titles, they really are genius in the story's context.
Feb 19, 2019 1:49 PM

May 2014
This show seems more about the art and sound than substance. I was excited by the idea that each episode would be about her visiting a new place to help a new customer, but so far none of these side stories have really been that great.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Feb 26, 2019 8:59 PM

Dec 2018
So a royal family is entrusting the future of two nations to an autistic 14 year old with limited experience?
Apr 19, 2019 2:48 PM

Apr 2012
Interesting plot but idk execution felt cringy. Fine cliffhanging though.
May 8, 2019 3:28 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, she is great at writing letters now!
And omg, that smile, so sweet!
But meh, stuff from her past is coming back now.
May 26, 2019 12:47 AM

Sep 2012
RarePepes said:
So a royal family is entrusting the future of two nations to an autistic 14 year old with limited experience?

she is not autistic, she is just been in military her hole life and knows almost nothing about worrld outside it and emotions thats not autism and autism isn't daught and no1 isn't raised to become1 but she was daught and raised to be like that until she was given to major
Jun 16, 2019 2:55 PM

Mar 2018
I didn't like this episode tbh. The princess was annoying and I couldn't care less about her romance life.
Evangelion is shit
Jun 18, 2019 8:58 AM
May 2012
bitchassdarius said:
the framing and editing were fantastic in this episode, pretty kino imo

I agree, and I like how they didn't show the wedding, rather a nice moment between Charlotte and Alberta.
Jul 1, 2019 12:58 PM

Jul 2013
Frankly, the worst episode of the series so far. It was going great with Luculia and Iris's stories. Violet learned something from them and little by little had a grasp of what emotions are and in turn, Luculia and Iris also learned something from Violet's limited and simple understanding. However, this episode was just boring. It would have been miles better if the story was centered around the princess and Alberta's relationship since the maid was the one who raised her since she was a child and quite honestly, that last scene where Charlotte kissed Alberta's hand as a sign of respect left more of an impact on me than the nonsensical and creepy love story.

Not to mention, it doesn't make sense to send Violet to such an important matter between two nations. If the rest of the series proves to be as good as the last 4 episodes then I'm willing to overlook this episode and delete it from my memory lol.

How creepy is it that a 20 year old man was attracted to a 10 year old who he met only once. She's 14 now and it still doesn't make it any better lmao.

So far, everyone has been referring to Violet as "just a child" when they first met her and apparently, she's approximately 14 years old as well. I hope the major didn't have that kind of romantic interest in her with those words he left her because that would be creepy as well lmao. Although, on second thought, I find it hard to believe Violet is still 14. She looks more mature for her age and you can see it directly if you compare her to Princess Charlotte. She's probably in the same age range as Iris. So far, everything has been wild guesses regarding her age so I'll take it that she's most probably legal but still... the major thinking she's 14 or something and falling in love with her... yikes.

At least, it looks like things are gonna be interesting in the next episode with the appearance of Gilbert's younger brother.
Dull_LullJul 1, 2019 1:09 PM
Oct 3, 2019 5:42 AM

Mar 2015
Okay this was a really sweet episode!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 13, 2020 2:43 AM

Oct 2010
The part where the princess kneeled for her maid almost got me tearing up. Shes so thankful and happy for everything she has done for her :')

Also its rare to see Violet smile in the end
Apr 20, 2020 2:51 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Didn't see this coming, was not expecting to like this episode this much.
I m baffled that this is original content and not an adaptation... it is the best episode so far, WTF.

LOVED IT A LOT!

The Princess had such an endearing love going on, at first I thought she didn't like the guy, but then it was revealed and I was surprised by how delicate her true feelings were, her thoughtfulness towards him, and Violet couldn't have handled it better.
It was so pure and genuine those later love letters, the freaking ending left me smiling, and I will smile forever when I recall this bliss.

10/10 episode for me. Would 100% cry again no problems!
Perfecto.

PS: Violet is only 14? Hard to believe, she seems to be tall enough, always thought she was an adult already.
Apr 21, 2020 12:21 PM
May 2019
So Violet is 14? WTF!!

I THOUGHT SHE WAS AROUND 20
BY THE WAY Excited for next Episode
May 8, 2020 1:14 PM

Aug 2019
Better episode than the last. Charlotte was annoying with her incessant crying but the back and forth exchange of letters written by her and the prince was entertaining. But the last scene between Alberta and the princess was far more impactful than the love story. It was good to see Violet smile for the first time and the ending with Gilbert's brother was interesting. Also, Violet's age being 14 was a surprise and quite unbelievable.

I want to know what it is,
this 'sin' they say I've committed.
May 11, 2020 9:54 PM

Jun 2009
the princess not wanting to leave Alberta 😢

May 13, 2020 11:25 AM

Feb 2012
More familiar voices. Cattleya = Aya Endou (Sheryl Nome)
and now Charlotte = Megumi Nakajima (Ranka Lee and Turi)

I wonder if further in the timeline of Auto Memory Dolls would no longer be that common a profession as people, including Charlotte and Damian seem to be able to write themselves. I'm sure there are some rich people today would have an assistant to type down their words out of convenience rather than type/write themselves, but it seems to be people of multiple classes hiring auto memory dolls.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 23, 2020 3:48 AM

Feb 2019
Violet is 14 lol, TIL
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Aug 27, 2020 4:45 AM

Mar 2012
The huge age gaps in this anime make me uncomfortable af. Yeah I know it's a different era but still...10 y/o with a grown ass 20 years old, that's not romantic and creepy in my book.

Also the excessive crying is annoying.
Sep 2, 2020 4:46 PM

Oct 2015
She doesn't look 14 at all... She looks like an adult woman (or maybe +16).
Anime has no logic.
Sep 5, 2020 2:13 PM

Oct 2019
Idk but Charlotte and that king's relationship made me uncomfortable
Also the fact Violet is 14???
She looked older than that.
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Oct 17, 2020 9:44 AM
Sep 2020
I really like this, because it's really good
Dec 5, 2020 9:29 PM

Aug 2014
She is fourteen? ;o All this time I thought she is at least is seventeen / eighteen years old. There also seem to be a big difference in Violet and princess age. Strange.. maybe they lied to Violet about her age.
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Dec 19, 2020 9:40 AM

Jan 2019
I thought the line about her being 14 had to be a joke, that's deceptive character design if I've ever seen it, haha.

I was confused as to why they'd assign Violet to a job as seemingly important as this, but I suppose if they knew she'd be writing to their star doll, then it was a controlled risk.
Jan 4, 2021 10:09 PM

Jul 2020
If this keeps this emotional, the score may change for better. I loved this chapter. Glad Princess Charlotte ended up with Damian, she deserved everything. Not really convinced about their age but still good (for this show only). That last scene with Charlotte kneeling to Alberta was emotional. Really enjoyed this story, and also really like this episodic way of storytelling.

Also that last scene with the enemy admiral. And the chapter title. This is about to go crazy. 5/5
KingShuloxJan 4, 2021 10:14 PM
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Check my latest web novel on Our Greatest Comeback🦊⛩️ and please drop a like or comment if you liked it!
May 1, 2021 1:29 PM

Aug 2018
She's only 14?!?!?! How old was she when she was in the war then?
_______I like rocks__
Jul 6, 2021 2:04 PM

Jan 2021
Huh?? Wait what??? Violet is 14?
I thought she atleast was 17.
Jul 27, 2021 3:08 PM

Aug 2011
Being a crybaby is powerful in its own, being able to express your emotions, fears, insecurities I thought the Princess as a really amazing character
desu desu binches
Sep 30, 2021 9:10 PM

Aug 2021
"I was just following orders" is a questionable excuse used by the Nazi military when they were on trial for the Holocaust. Here the excuse for Violet is very different, although in some ways it comes close too thanks to manipulation.
Nov 23, 2021 8:37 AM
Jul 2019
Oh and I don't like these princesses so much, however our princess in this episode was quite mature. But even getting married at 14 is weird enough to ruin your childhood like that. And Violet is getting better and better at writing letters. 😳
Nov 29, 2021 11:56 AM

Jun 2016
Wow, now that is quite the leap. Going from relatively small jobs to writing multiple love letters during a courting exchange. That is some promotion.

Aww, Princess Charlotte -the sassy little brat- got what she wanted in the end. A happy end for her. Nice touch with the Charlotte/Alberta scene at the end, when she's in a wedding dress, showing how much Alberta truly meant to Charlotte.

I got to say, I love that Cattleya was Damien's Doll. It's the only way that conversation exchange could happen.

Oh, that ending tho. Gilbert's brother has shown up, and he doesn't look too pleased to see Violet...

Mar 16, 2022 10:41 PM

Jan 2010
I'm not sure what happened, but I really, really loved this episode. Was it the year and a half break since the last time I watched the 4th episode, giving me fresh eyes and ears to experience Violet Evergarden? Was it the simple and direct story that had emphasis on Princess Charlotte and Prince Damian? Was it the touching mother/daughter relationship held between Charlotte and Alberta? Perhaps it was the hilarious TV novella-esque setup the back and forth letters had on the public. It could have been how the letters slowly devolved from pristine, eloquent soliloquies to rambling and self-deprecating rants. Maybe it was how Violet made genuine efforts to seem less robotic, utilizing her past lessons and experiences.

Whatever it may be, that was worthy of being a short film in and of itself. That was great.

As an aside, I didn't realize Violet was supposed to be around 14 years old. Due to the art style and character design, I assumed she was in her early 20s. Now I'm starting to question how old everyone is.
ShockedMar 16, 2022 10:47 PM
May 7, 2022 3:03 AM
Jan 2021
This is just so beautiful

making violet learn emotions through writing letters for other people is just amazingly done love the scene at the end together with the princess and her maid

the two of them won't see each other for a long time so that was just a fitting scene for their goodbye

Also about violet i can't imagine what she must have been through in her childhood life and that freaking majors brother or was it cousen trying to make violet feel remorse about her past what are you trying to accomplish you insolent human being she's been through so much and you want to add a salt to her wounds like come on people in the military as at fault training a child to become a weapon for war

i feel like violet is gonna be a lot of pain in the next few episodes since she's already slowly learning about emotions well this might also trigger something to violet experiencing pain complex emotions first hand might make violet learn more about emotion i guess

Anyway violet is way too precious
Angel_crush1May 7, 2022 3:11 AM
Aug 12, 2022 5:44 AM
Jul 2022
It good Im Loved It!!
Aug 14, 2022 2:20 PM

Jan 2021
It was beautiful.
Aug 30, 2022 6:20 PM

Feb 2022
buen episodio de la violeta
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Oct 11, 2022 6:29 AM
Jun 2022
Best episode yet!

Lots of shots of flowers. Shots of falling flowers. Shots of legs. Trademark of this episodes storyboarder Naoko Yamada I guess....

Age thing is a bit weird, neither look or act 14.

Last scene with Alberta and Charlotte was exceptionally well done in the way it conveyed so much with minimal dialogue.
Oct 29, 2022 9:31 AM
Aug 2021
A little girl marrying an old man...

anyways...

the flashback got me interested
Jan 13, 2023 5:23 PM

Jan 2011
o know Kyoani is proud of how they animate tears but holy f, im glad we wont be seeeing that princess anymore

also she is around 14? she was doing all that crazy karate fighting, beating up soldiers when she was even younger than that? like wat
Mar 5, 2023 12:31 PM

Jul 2022
Violet Evergarden smiles!
Mar 14, 2023 8:26 PM

Oct 2021
Exquisite execution of story-telling! In one episode, all the wholesomeness is jam-packed on this one.

-------------------------
Marianne

~Effort, Fortitude, and Tenacity
Apr 6, 2023 2:53 PM

Jul 2016
there's no way violet is still just 14 after all this time. i'd wager that she only believes herself to be 14 or was, during the war. can't fathom that with the way she is drawn, the character design, height, and comparison to charlotte - whose presentation does fit. i know that it's fiction and fictional art doesn't have to adhere to realism, that there's some older looking children (vice versa) but this is ridiculous...
Apr 9, 2023 8:36 PM

Jan 2022
This episode was actually painful to watch. Of course the little girl is going to be a crybaby!! She's only 14 and she's expected to marry a 24 y/o ugh that's something else. I'm not understanding why they had to convince the princes?? To marry her or to write letters back?? Also how is Violet only 14?? It was nice to see a small smile from Violet <3
This never updates so that's cool
Jun 14, 2023 9:02 AM

Apr 2013
Kind of a pointless episode? I mean if Violet had not interferred, the outcomme would've been the same. Only thing she did is lose money, even twice because Cattleya also stopped writing. Also why should I feel anything about these that one-episode only princess? xD
Aug 18, 2023 1:56 PM
Aug 2023
monky.....lost wife... emotion nostalgia...
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

427 by White-Iris »»
Yesterday, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

507 by Jaymun12 »»
Yesterday, 8:44 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

637 by Vedsi »»
Sep 23, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.