Forum Settings
Forums

Worst wish fulfillment anime on the market?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 8, 2017 3:21 PM

Oct 2014
zal said:
Grey-Zone said:
No. Any of these claims about "wish-fulfillment" are most certainly wrong, or at least invalid in terms of credibility.

Fact: Any claim by someone to be able to "deduce" the author's internal thought processes when creating their work, just by reading/watching/playing the author's work, is definite sign for cognitive dissonance, i.e. the claim is bullshit.
Do you study psychology? If so can you elaborate on how does relate cognitive resonance of that someone with the perceived intent of author?

The same applies to cases where a person themselves doesn't feel their own wishes fulfilled when reading/watching/playing an author's work, but at the same time being convinced that "less intelligent, instant-gratification-seeking people" would consider it wish-fulfillment. No basis whatsoever, but still being sure of it, is just as the case in the previous paragraph, a sign of cognitive dissonance, i.e. a bullshit claim.
What is the internal inconsistency of said persons cognition/actions?

The ONLY thing a human can do is evaluate whether their own wishes were "fulfilled" by an author's work. But no one can speak for others' perceptions or the intent of the author in that regard.

Nope, burden of proof is on you. If someone claims they have mindreading abilities, they have to prove it.
Aug 8, 2017 3:28 PM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
Darek said:
Do you guys btw have any fucking clue what are you talking about here to begin with?

I mean, when they're calling certain shows wish-fulfillment and then the definition they provide others with doesn't fit with that at all then I'd say no

Ima just work with "What is the worst anime you have seen with an MC that is powerful and/or you feel has little personality?" as being what this thread is asking, since that's the impression I have here.

And with that definition in mind, I say Ruroni Kenshin is the worst wish-fulfillment anime I have watched :V

From my perspective, I'm referring to a show in which you are theoretically meant to identify with the MC and insert yourself as him, rather than watch a narrative about him and others growing and dealing with a truly dramatic and brutal overall conflict or well, what have you (such as say, a gag series or a series where the protagonist is the villain, etc. etc.). Technically almost any piece of fiction can be considered wish-fulfillment in some way but this is generally what's being referred to.
Aug 8, 2017 3:29 PM

Feb 2016
I found Sora's struggles somewhat relatable since i'm always freaking out about what i'll do from now on and if i have talent to do it. The romance wasn't that important >to me<, as far as i remember i didn't give a shit about the main pair kissing or confessing, i think how the friendship between the whole cast worked was far more interesting and believable.

But it was one of the first 20-30 anime i watched for real (not on TV) so i don't know how i'd feel if i rewatched it....

edit; I totally forgot the purpose of the thread, but i really don't have a clue on what to say. Maybe Code Geass with all the "look how Lelouch is really smart omg tactics. And now he's at scholl and he's really popular!" which was rather meh. But there's a lot of anime that do similar things, if i stop to think i'll be able to find this in basically every anime/manga to some degree.
llorandoAug 8, 2017 3:35 PM
Aug 8, 2017 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
Frostbytes said:
Maneki-Mew said:

Yes, yes, I know, but she was "too smart for her age"... at the age of 1? Do I remember this right? That must be a parody. XD
(So, added GATE. Forget about it)

Don't forget about the asspulls to win games(chess one especially).

Yes, but I liked the chess game the most (because I didn't take the anime too serious XD)

oryouohagi said:
Yes, they are idolized characters, if they weren't the plot wouldn't work. Imagine average people going through the situation, winning everything. No one would watch something like that.

Well, but the inhuman intelligence, for the asspulls to win all games, is another big Mary Sue-factor. That's why I said, I think of them as parodies.

CatSoul said:
I feel like things like Eromanga Sensei and Eiken where very young girls are included in harems have to be the worst. I guess it's better to get your fulfillment from trashy anime showing off twelve-year-old fanservice then to pursue actual twelve-year-olds, but...

Also this.
Aug 8, 2017 3:35 PM

May 2015
Grey-Zone said:
zal said:
Do you study psychology? If so can you elaborate on how does relate cognitive resonance of that someone with the perceived intent of author?

What is the internal inconsistency of said persons cognition/actions?

Nope, burden of proof is on you. If someone claims they have mindreading abilities, they have to prove it.
Is the burden of proof that what you describe is cognitive dissonance on me?

Don't focus just on the image disregarding my questions.
zalAug 8, 2017 3:46 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2017 3:37 PM

Sep 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
From my perspective, I'm referring to a show in which you are theoretically meant to identify with the MC and insert yourself as him, rather than watch a narrative about him and others growing and dealing with a truly dramatic and brutal overall conflict or well, what have you (such as say, a gag series or a series where the protagonist is the villain, etc. etc.). Technically almost any piece of fiction can be considered wish-fulfillment in some way but this is generally what's being referred to.

What standards are you holding against something to determine whether or not that's the purpose the series is being meant to serve?

You can define what you consider to be not, but I got very little in the way of explaining what it *is* other than "you're meant to identify and insert yourself as the MC" and I'm somebody who is legitimately confused as to what counts as a wish-fulfillment MC at this point.
ManabanAug 8, 2017 3:46 PM

Aug 8, 2017 3:44 PM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

What standards are you holding against something to determine whether or not that's the purpose the series is being meant to serve?
Is the MC a blatant blank slate? Does it have many of the kinds of tropes and characters popularly described as part of a wish-fulfillment fantasy? Is it framed in a way that the MC is meant to look amazing and never go through any real internal conflict and only go through external conflict in which he is always right? Does the MC behave in a way it seems that most LN readers and corporates believe their target audience to behave under these mudane situations, such as seeing a girl in a state of undress or accidents groping/accidental awkward scenario apart from the aforementioned? These kinds of series would say yes to a vast majority, if not all of these.

Before you jump to conclusions, I'd never just cop out and say "Light Novel" like some might given that Re:Zero, Konosuba, and Fate/Zero exist, though most of these are most often seen in Light Novels and their adaptations. They've been doing this kind of thing since the beginning of the current millennium (aka for about 17 years or so now). It's just sort of s codified thing her mangof us have grown to accept, as well as the current concept of what a "wish fulfillment" series is supposed to be. Basically any series predicated on "look how cool the main character is; don't you want to be like him?", which has reportedly dated back to the book known as Beowulf. You can even classify Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 under this.
CodeBlazeFateAug 8, 2017 3:50 PM
Aug 8, 2017 3:49 PM

Jul 2015
SA motherfucking O. The worst I've seen. The generic harems are just bland, but nothing that dirves me mad at least
It's okay to smirk

Aug 8, 2017 3:51 PM
Jan 2015
So worst anime basically? Every series is technically someones wish-fulfillment.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 3:55 PM

Sep 2011
Just fyi, the author of Accel World is the author of Sword Art Online.
Also, both were started around the same time and both were also aired around the same time.

Some interesting things from a BD interview, which I have that I can't find on youtube or anywhere. This also could give some of you people who make little stories around here/other sites a view inside a successful authors mind.
Author - Reki Kawahara (Middle)
Director - Tomohiko Ito (Left)
Producer(Aniplex) - Shinichiro Kashiwada (Right)

Q. Who is your favorite character?
Reki- Oh. That's a hard one.
Tomohiko - Is this that agonizing a decision?
*laughs*
Shinichiro - You said you didn't get to emotionally invested in characters.
Reki - Right. I try not to get too emotionally connected to my characters as I...
Shinichiro - It must be hard to write about them without empathizing with them.
Reki - I just assume that those characters exist in this world.
Shinichiro - And so you base them on others?
Reki - What?
Shinichiro - Does that mean they're based on actual persons?
Reki - No, that's not it. I assume the characters are people who live in the world of Sword Art Online and that they live there independently of my own will. Rather, I control them, I let them act or talk as they like.
Shinichiro - So you're saying you're just watching them objectively?
Reki - That's more or less it, so it really doesn't have much to do with my will or whatever the title dictates... I try not to burden the characters with any of that. So I don't really have any likes or dislikes but if I had to pick 1
Shinichiro - If you had to pick 1
Reki - After watching the anime... Oberon in the second arc.
*Laughs*

Shinichiro - Because you like the voice actor of Oberon?
Reki - I was like, "Whoa!" as I saw Mr. Takahito Koyasu's performance
Tomohiko - So you want to lick Asuna like he does?
Reki - That's right.
*Laughs*
Tomohiko - That's right. (joke)
Reki - To be honest, I thought he didn't stand out much as a villain
Shinichiro - Actually, Mr. Ito insisted to cast Mr. Koyasu for Oberon
Reki - Since he was rather a weak villain in the light novels, I was wondering how he'd turn out.
Shinichiro - But he sure became powerful.
Reki - Right
Shinichiro - His character stood out.
Reki - Mr. Koyasu's performance breathed life into Oberon. *laughs* It makes me sad he wont be appearing anymore. I wanted to see him more!
*laughs*

-- Another interesting thing mentioned in the interview just for the hell of it
Reki - But getting to see the storyboards... When I think that someone's going to draw it all alone.. *he has "wow like" expressions*
Shinichiro - Well it does take about a month
Tomohiko - That's right. On average that's how long.
Shinichiro - The slower people take 6 months.
Reki - Ahhh..
Shinichiro - That wouldn't be good for us.
Tomohiko - I think it's ok if just 1 out of 25 episodes turn out to be one of those.
Shinichiro - But I'd do it quickly for the rest. Well basically, I think it'd be fun to spend more time on a climax episode.

-- Also funny comments about Shinichiro would pick Asuna out of the girls and Reki saying she doesn't really have any strong points as a heroine. Shinichiro replies with, she gives him free reign and has a generous spirit. Also comments about Kirito never telling Asuna anything definitive yet but they are stuck together because they kind of have a child already so there is no escape from her anymore.

So I guess SAO is off the list and could only be listed under a different thread of "Useless OP MC that I dislike who gets the girls I don't."
NEETs (No Employment Education Training) are the least desirable people anybody would want to hire and yet they are the first choice to become moderators/admins around the internet. They have yet to have established a sense of responsibility or role in society and many are plain leeches (with minor exceptions). They are given "authority" to police sections of the internet with the powers of The Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Isn't that weird?
-Migrating to another site-
Update 11/9/2016 - Inactive Over a Year. Logged in to laugh at elections.
Aug 8, 2017 4:00 PM

May 2015
MadScientist said:

Shinichiro - So you're saying you're just watching them objectively?
Reki - That's more or less it, so it really doesn't have much to do with my will or whatever the title dictates... I try not to burden the characters with any of that. So I don't really have any likes or dislikes but if I had to pick 1
Does that mean that people can also evaluate his work more or less objectively?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2017 4:09 PM

Oct 2014
zal said:
Grey-Zone said:

Your strawman "questions" are almost as irrelevant as your entire baity existence though, so no thanks.
Aug 8, 2017 4:19 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
So worst anime basically? Every series is technically someones wish-fulfillment.
Then again, what kind of wish fulfillment could you get from Corpse Party, Hand Shakers, or Texhnolyze.
Aug 8, 2017 4:22 PM

May 2015
Grey-Zone said:
zal said:

Your strawman "questions" are almost as irrelevant as your entire baity existence though, so no thanks.
How did I try to refute an argument that you didn't presented?
You said that people who claim a show is wish fulfilling have cognitive dissonance and I am asking you what are you talking about.
Aug 8, 2017 4:29 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
-Mahesvara said:
Then again, what kind of wish fulfillment could you get from Corpse Party, Hand Shakers, or Texhnolyze.
I'm sure there exists people who liked those shows, which indicates that they fulfilled desires from those fans.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 4:38 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
I'm sure there exists people who liked those shows, which indicates that they fulfilled desires from those fans.
That's...now the kind of wish-fulfillment being referred to here. We're definitely not talking as if wish-fulfillment meant the desire of people to like the show.
Aug 8, 2017 4:45 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
-Mahesvara said:
That's...now the kind of wish-fulfillment being referred to here. We're definitely not talking as if wish-fulfillment meant the desire of people to like the show.
That's the definition of wish-fulfillment tho?

wish ful·fill·ment
noun
the satisfying of unconscious desires in dreams or fantasies.

You're just making your own definition out of your own biases.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 4:50 PM

Sep 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:

Maybe the issue lies with the term being something vague enough that it's not really concise in setting across what's trying to be discussed, then, because it just doesn't make sense to me either in a lot of cases.

To me, it does sort of sound like asking "What is the worst anime that tried to do things you wanted it to do?" which would still be a form of wish-fulfillment in of itself and also kind of incredibly stupid at that.

Aug 8, 2017 5:02 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
That's the definition of wish-fulfillment tho?

wish ful·fill·ment
noun
the satisfying of unconscious desires in dreams or fantasies.

You're just making your own definition out of your own biases.
No, I'm just using the definition well-accepted within the community. You're using a different definition altogether, thinking that the phrase can only have one defintion, when words like dense have proven that a word can have multiple accepted definitions based on the context it's used in. Besides, who literally fantasizes or dreams about what show they are watching next, specifically about if they'll enjoy it or not? By this definition, what you've said would even apply; you don't even understand the very definition you've given me as you have misinterpreted it. Leave Sigmund Freud's definition out of this discussion.
CodeBlazeFateAug 8, 2017 5:23 PM
Aug 8, 2017 5:04 PM

Apr 2016
Manaban said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Maybe the issue lies with the term being something vague enough that it's not really concise in setting across what's trying to be discussed, then, because it just doesn't make sense to me either in a lot of cases.

To me, it does sort of sound like asking "What is the worst anime that tried to do things you wanted it to do?" which would still be a form of wish-fulfillment in of itself and also kind of incredibly stupid at that.
Even still, when we mean wish-fulfillment in the context of s type of narrative, we're definitely not talking about what we want the anime to do in its writing. Even if OP used a definition that is incongruous to that which most people in this thread are using, from what I interpreted, it's not necessarily the same as what you are using, though OP didn't make things clear so we just sssumed, all things considered.
Aug 8, 2017 5:06 PM

Jan 2014
Brb said:
If you hated Sakuraso, imagine how much you'd hate it if it got fully adapted.

OT. Some reverse harem something.

What happens down the line? I don't hate it i found it to be a really fun watch :P.
Spoil me. I think i heard some shit but not sure.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Aug 8, 2017 5:08 PM
Jul 2018
@MadScientist
Thanks for the interview, that's interesting.

Shinichiro - You said you didn't get to emotionally invested in characters.
Reki - Right. I try not to get too emotionally connected to my characters as I...
Shinichiro - It must be hard to write about them without empathizing with them.
Reki - I just assume that those characters exist in this world.
Shinichiro - And so you base them on others?
Reki - What?
Shinichiro - Does that mean they're based on actual persons?
Reki - No, that's not it. I assume the characters are people who live in the world of Sword Art Online and that they live there independently of my own will. Rather, I control them, I let them act or talk as they like.

Self insert or wish fulfillment doesn't necessarily mean for the author. It could be a self insert for the audience too, even if HE tries not to get too emotionally connected to them.

Reki - I was like, "Whoa!" as I saw Mr. Takahito Koyasu's performance
Tomohiko - So you want to lick Asuna like he does?
Reki - That's right.
*Laughs*
Tomohiko - That's right. (joke)

Dafuq. O_O
removed-userAug 8, 2017 5:15 PM
Aug 8, 2017 5:27 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
No, I'm just using the definition well-accepted within the community. You're using a different definition altogether, thinking that the phrase can only have one defintion, when words like dense have proven that a word can have multiple accepted definitions based on the context it's used in. Besides, who literally fantasizes or dreams about what show they are watching next, specifically about if they'll enjoy it or not? By this definition, what you've said would even apply; you don't even understand the very definition you've given me as you have misinterpreted it.
First off the community is filled with hypocrisy, any definition contrived from the community with be filled with it and will ultimately be turned into a buzzword that lost its original meaning. I'm not taking this literally, like you said, some words have multiple meanings. With that being said at its core, wish-fulfillment is basically your wishes/desires being fulfilled and that is an undisputed fact, but how they are fulfilled varies.

In Anime's case, one of the overall goals is to fulfill their consumers desires, like every entertainment medium, so all of their content, like every entertainment content, is wish-fulfillment.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 5:32 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
No, I'm just using the definition well-accepted within the community. You're using a different definition altogether, thinking that the phrase can only have one defintion, when words like dense have proven that a word can have multiple accepted definitions based on the context it's used in. Besides, who literally fantasizes or dreams about what show they are watching next, specifically about if they'll enjoy it or not? By this definition, what you've said would even apply; you don't even understand the very definition you've given me as you have misinterpreted it.
First off the community is filled with hypocrisy, any definition contrived from the community with be filled with it and will ultimately be turned into a buzzword that lost its original meaning. I'm not taking this literally, like you said, some words have multiple meanings. With that being said at its core, wish-fulfillment is basically your wishes/desires being fulfilled and that is an undisputed fact, but how they are fulfilled varies.

In Anime's case, one of the overall goals is to fulfill their consumers desires, like every entertainment medium, so all of their content, like every entertainment content, is wish-fulfillment.
But given the definition you gave, its genuinely i congruous to what you were trying to say. Since you mean the desire for the viewer to enjoy an anime, you can argue that as a viable definition but it's ultimately not what we think of when we use it, even if it had become a bad buzzword under the same level as "pretentious" and "deconstruction" due to misuse. The definition we use under this context is that of the desires of the target demographic that has seen the show to project themselves onto the protagonist, which the anime in question has purposely made viable for said audience. These anime want the viewer to project themselves onto the protagonist, and this kind of narrative more than certainly applies to any medium.
Aug 8, 2017 5:34 PM

Mar 2017
I've already posted on this forum but I just came back to say SAKURASOU NO PET NA KANOJO 8/10
Aug 8, 2017 5:51 PM

Jun 2015
AstZero said:
Brb said:
If you hated Sakuraso, imagine how much you'd hate it if it got fully adapted.

OT. Some reverse harem something.

What happens down the line? I don't hate it i found it to be a really fun watch :P.

Aug 8, 2017 5:55 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
The definition we use under this context is that of the desires of the target demographic that has seen the show to project themselves onto the protagonist, which the anime in question has purposely made viable for said audience. These anime want the viewer to project themselves onto the protagonist, and this kind of narrative more than certainly applies to any medium.
That's a narrow and shallow POV, since the definition you provided is only tackling one aspect of a show. That definition is closer to self-insertion, as that's the specific aspect you are referring to and self-insertion is only a small a sub sect of wish-fulfillment overall. The whole thought process that these two things are the exact same thing is very flawed when wish-fulfillment runs on a much broader field covering many aspects. Which goes back to hypocrisy, as the ones who are using it as a negative term, turn a blind eye to the aspects of wish-fulfillment in their favorite shows.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 6:05 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
The definition we use under this context is that of the desires of the target demographic that has seen the show to project themselves onto the protagonist, which the anime in question has purposely made viable for said audience. These anime want the viewer to project themselves onto the protagonist, and this kind of narrative more than certainly applies to any medium.
That's a narrow and shallow POV, since the definition you provided is only tackling one aspect of a show. That definition is closer to self-insertion, as that's the specific aspect you are referring to and self-insertion is only a small a sub sect of wish-fulfillment overall. The whole thought process that these two things are the exact same thing is very flawed when wish-fulfillment runs on a much broader field covering many aspects. Which goes back to hypocrisy, as the ones who are using it as a negative term, turn a blind eye to the aspects of wish-fulfillment in their favorite shows.
You're assuming we only use it as a negative term rather than a neutral term to describe a type of show of self-insertion, which I agree is a better way of referring this kind of show to. I wouldn't call it hypocrisy, more like a misconception, as these two do go hand in hand for certain viewers but yeah, we should definitely call these shows self-insertion shows instead of wish fulfillment.
Aug 8, 2017 6:15 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
You're assuming we only use it as a negative term rather than a neutral term to describe a type of show of self-insertion, which I agree is a better way of referring this kind of show to. I wouldn't call it hypocrisy, more like a misconception, as these two do go hand in hand for certain viewers but yeah, we should definitely call these shows self-insertion shows instead of wish fulfillment.
I never said everyone uses it negatively, but the ones who use the term most are typically using it as criticism, like the OP for example. It can be considered a misconception to many, since wish-fulfillment has become a buzzword and is often used wrongly, so the ignorant will gradually latch onto it and keep misusing the term, but I'm sure their are more than a fair share of people who use it incorrectly and are aware of it. I'm glad we at least found some common ground here though.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 6:23 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
I never said everyone uses it negatively, but the ones who use the term most are typically using it as criticism, like the OP for example. It can be considered a misconception to many, since wish-fulfillment has become a buzzword and is often used wrongly, so the ignorant will gradually latch onto it and keep misusing the term, but I'm sure their are more than a fair share of people who use it incorrectly and are aware of it. I'm glad we at least found some common ground here though.
Glad we did, and sorry for not reading more carefully on that last post. So, as for self-insert anime, which is the worst thetnyoufe seen?
Aug 8, 2017 6:34 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
Glad we did, and sorry for not reading more carefully on that last post. So, as for self-insert anime, which is the worst thetnyoufe seen?

Didn't care for this https://myanimelist.net/anime/34392/One_Room?q=my%20room

Its the closest thing to a true-self insert anime.
My Queens

Aug 8, 2017 6:40 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Didn't care for this https://myanimelist.net/anime/34392/One_Room?q=my%20room

Its the closest thing to a true-self insert anime.
I heard how bad it was. Glad I never saw it.
Aug 8, 2017 6:50 PM

Jan 2014
Brb said:
AstZero said:

Ugh.. I can say i'm glad they didn't reach that part in the adaptation. It would definetly fundamentally lower my score of it lol.
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Aug 8, 2017 8:09 PM

Mar 2015
AstZero said:
Brb said:

Ugh.. I can say i'm glad they didn't reach that part in the adaptation. It would definetly fundamentally lower my score of it lol.

full explanation

https://frogkun.com/2013/08/13/the-ending-of-sakurasou-no-pet-na-kanojo-sucked-light-novel-spoilers/
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 8, 2017 8:09 PM

Dec 2012
I'm going to say Heaven's Lost Property here, each and every installment in the franchise just seemed to get worse.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Aug 8, 2017 8:23 PM

Aug 2008
Worst wish fulfillment is Mahouka.

But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 8, 2017 8:44 PM

Aug 2010
Darek said:
Grey-Zone said:
No. Any of these claims about "wish-fulfillment" are most certainly wrong, or at least invalid in terms of credibility.

Fact: Any claim by someone to be able to "deduce" the author's internal thought processes when creating their work, just by reading/watching/playing the author's work, is definite sign for cognitive dissonance, i.e. the claim is bullshit.

The same applies to cases where a person themselves doesn't feel their own wishes fulfilled when reading/watching/playing an author's work, but at the same time being convinced that "less intelligent, instant-gratification-seeking people" would consider it wish-fulfillment. No basis whatsoever, but still being sure of it, is just as the case in the previous paragraph, a sign of cognitive dissonance, i.e. a bullshit claim.

The ONLY thing a human can do is evaluate whether their own wishes were "fulfilled" by an author's work. But no one can speak for others' perceptions or the intent of the author in that regard.
I second this post.

Also gotta love how whenever someone asks something, OP is just like "shut up, it is wish fulfillment, I don't have to explain shit" kek.

Either way I remember talking to the OP before, he is not worth debating.

Do you guys btw have any fucking clue what are you talking about here to begin with?

Thought we were here to debate? This is a forum afterall.
Sorry for hurting you earlier.
oryouohagiAug 8, 2017 8:56 PM
Aug 8, 2017 8:47 PM

Jul 2014
No Game No Life, by far. It has all of the worst clichés from wish fulfillment stories and makes them even worse.
Aug 8, 2017 8:54 PM

Jan 2014
Kuma said:
AstZero said:

full explanation

https://frogkun.com/2013/08/13/the-ending-of-sakurasou-no-pet-na-kanojo-sucked-light-novel-spoilers/

Oh god what a mess... Lmao.
I guess when i want to make a "adaptation is better than source" reccomendation or point i'll keep sakurasou in the back of my mind.
As for the novel i don't even need to read it. 5/10 at best.
I'll also use that to justify my grade for the anime xD.
AstZeroAug 8, 2017 9:08 PM
Aug 8, 2017 8:54 PM

Nov 2013
isekai + harem = NO.

when I see those two words get anywhere near a light novel , manga or anime, you can be sure as hell I already noped the fuck out.
Aug 9, 2017 12:13 AM

Nov 2009
zal said:
Maybe not the worst but the most disappointing: Steins;Gate.
While it has a pretty good example of Mary Sue main character in Okabe Rintarou thanks to his ability Reading Steiner, charisma, social skills and intelligence (except when he needs to be dumb for comedy scenes for likeability) it was a disappinting wish fulfillment anime because he is not able to freely move across the timelines at his will and the anime's female character cast is lacking in amount of potential love interests.

Interestingly enough I actually found him in those "comedic scenes", especially the ones in the first few episodes, completely obnoxious and unlikable. It was as if the anime tried its best to make the MC that you were supposed to care for an immature chuuni brat right before shit hits the fan. Needless to say, it did affect my enjoyment of the rest of the series since I simply didn't give a crap about him or the rest of the uninteresting cast.
Aug 9, 2017 2:10 AM

Sep 2015
MadScientist said:

Shinichiro - If you had to pick 1
Reki - After watching the anime... Oberon in the second arc.
*raughs*

Oh

This also means Suguo confirmed best girl btw

An innocent man who did nothing wrong and was as unfortunate enough to get caught up in Kirito's evil schemes, smh tbh

Aug 9, 2017 12:46 PM

Apr 2017
I really do not like No Game no Life...
Aug 9, 2017 2:43 PM

Aug 2016
can't get worse than asterisk war surely
it's a whole other beast from the likes of SAO and the like

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job

Aug 9, 2017 4:28 PM

Jun 2015
Kami-Koto said:
Isekai Smartphone and a lot of other isekai stories (including manga and LNs) that are already released or yet to come.

I honestly love the isekai genre itself, but almost every new work is just a beta fag getting hit by a truck, then getting reincarnated in a new world with cheat powers and collecting girls like they're items.
Even then you can make something decent out of it, but all those LNs read like they're written to help the author cope with their psychological trauma they got from being bullied at school.

Yep, you're so right. Also, it comes down towhat you define as wish fulfillment. If a character has a personality, I don't consider as wish fulfillment per se (since, for me, wish fulfillment is partially equivalent to self insertion). But, in anime like Sakurasou, where...

Well, fuck I don't wanna talk about that shit.

All anime that SAO and some others titles spawned. Fortunately, this trend has started drifting away.

''Sekai wo Kakumei suru tame ni.''

~~ Me, who then was a brand spanking new university student.
Aug 9, 2017 4:42 PM

Jun 2008
SAO!

>Generic dude becomes a literal over-the-top, over-powered, Deus Ex Machina walking badass in the most ridiculous scenario ever...

>Naturally all the bitches are wetting themselves to fuck said dude...

>Even when they get out....generic dude's sudden attributes seem to coincide with real life.

I mean COME THE FUCK ON!!
Aug 9, 2017 4:50 PM

Jun 2011
oryouohagi said:
catherine-t said:
Don't bully Sorata ...

The worst wish-fulfillment I've ever seen goes to Accel World. I basically hated it from beginning to end. I didn't like any of the characters. I was very bored throughout most of it.

I couldn't even finish accel world, it was so pathetic.
Kuma said:
NHK ni youkoso, that's literaly a hard dick for a hikikomori NEET... you can literaly being a fucking delisonla self-centeric pathethivh failure asshole yet you still get pussy swarming at you... at least, accel world MC actually done something good for his harem...

it's really hard for me to take MC and his relationship with character around him seriously at all... it piss me off most of time...

Now that I think about it, it is a damn wish fulfillment to be honest. But it adresses so many other subjects besides being a neet, that I can't really hate it.

True facts, when I was the style of NEET which didn't even leave the house, I saw NHK as a model for potential life outside and found it incredibly inspiring. I now go outside. It can't be all bad.

But yes, it was wish fullfillment. I actually saw everything in it as "happy" and what I wished would happen. Just magically my neighbor is an Otaku too so I don't have to travel far... I actually didn't even notice the romance when I watched it TWICE. So I have a really hard time with that aspect that it is labeled romance and yet when I was NEET I saw her as "sweet friendo who come over to my house and save me from being NEET"
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 9, 2017 4:59 PM

Jun 2011
I really can't say what the worst is. I can firmly say what the MOST is.

Sailor Moon.

Main character who is relatable to YOU the audience in every way. And if not her, one of her friends will be in every way relatable to YOU the audience which are girls.

But for simplicity sake, lets run down Usagi. Talking cat, princess in a past life so is now a princess in this one. Has a literal soul mate- who is an older man in college even though she is in middle school and is tall dark and handsome. That guy is in constant need of rescue by Usagi. Magical girl. The Power Crit is real on Sailor Moon's power-
Her strength comes from magic so she doesn't have to be literally strong. Anyone could randomly be Sailor Moon tomorrow. She fights for Love and Justice and other undefinable things.

I would sooner want to be Sailor Moon than Goku for sure. I really like Sailor Moon. I think wish fullfillment is good.
Energetic-NovaAug 9, 2017 5:06 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Aug 11, 2017 2:29 AM

Feb 2015
Aug 11, 2017 2:35 AM

Apr 2013
InsaneLeader13 said:
LotGH is the worst wish-fulfillment anime, because it plays to people who have one of these factors:
1) A crippling fascination with warfare form the 1600's-1800's, ignoring the Z-Axis
2) A crippling fascination with military hierarchy
3) Tangentially related to #1, a casual enjoyment of space-sci-fi like Star Trek.
4) It feeds the ego of anyone who believes themselves to be smart, as the entire series only showcases incredibly intelligent characters making intelligent decisions...decisions that are only intelligent because of the vapidness of the world's battle strategies as mentioned above.

Now to see how long until I get bashed for this.

Leaving aside the statement about it being the worst wish fulfilling stuff out there, this is pretty correct.
And you know what's worse? Novel side, the way it's written is awfully heavy and arrogant. Basically the narration is done like it's a History book. Even though the author was too lazy to do his job and properly document himself on the various subject he talked about during the story, creating a war story where 100% of the strategy used cannot work, where the space ships behave like ships on water instead, where space is apparently such a narrow thing that one single fortress can block the entry of half of a galaxy to the other half, where in january it's obvious it's snowing no matter the planet, where an entire galaxy of peoples is run like it's a small town or a village, where for absolutely no reason no general in this world has a clue about strategies that were used thousand of years ago already and qualifies them of genius (and like I said on top of this they can't work in space anyway), well, on top of all of this and even more, do you imagine this, the narration style keeps throwing at you its displaced self importance.

If the style was light, you could forgive a lot more. I mean it's a space opera, liek star treck, star wars. What do you expect, of course it's full of nonsensical stuff, like sound in space and so on, it's entertainment only, you're supposed to ignore it and just enjoy the silly story. But when the narration is so full of itself, so heavy, so indigestible during those 3800 pages of content despite being full of mistake? Yeah, that's pretty hard to enjoy.

The incessant reminder (it feels like it's done like twice per page sometimes) about how much of a genius the main characters are (yet none of the things those characters did "on screen" have genius in them) adds to the global heaviness of the whole narration.

I've read thousands and thousands of novels, but that's one of the most indigestible I've ever read.

LOGH is a space opera that is full of massive problems because the author simply was too lazy to do its job of documenting itself before writing. To remain with well known japanese novels(for the international anime community, I mean), he's basically the polar opposite of proper novel authors like Hasekura Isuna, who for example read around 50 books about medieval economy before writing spice & wolf (and did similar on another subject before writing Magdala de nemure). Without going as far as Hasekura sensei did, there was a minimum of data gathering to do before talking about a subject you don't know. That's what any proper author do. That's wjhat he was obviously far too lazy to do, and you can already fill it in the first 30 pages of this work (yes, it didn't took 30 pages out of the 3800 to see that).

Most of Logh's author novels are IIRC either left unfinished or turn badly after a while, too. Definitely not a good author, yet peoples around here think he's some kind of genius or something.

There's still plenty of nice stuff in it, but definitely not anything close of a masterpiece.
ZefyrisAug 11, 2017 2:44 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How generous are you with your 10s ( 1 2 3 4 )

n6ah - Apr 22, 2021

198 by ComboSmooth »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?

Xypheron - 2 hours ago

19 by GinInYourJuice »»
4 minutes ago

» Do we need more cooking scenes in anime?

SgtBateMan - Jul 17

33 by ComboSmooth »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - Yesterday

35 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do???

Cestlavie_ - 2 hours ago

39 by Cestlavie_ »»
5 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.