Forum Settings
Forums

Do you watch filler episodes or do you skip them?

New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Mar 16, 2017 4:55 PM

Dec 2014
Honestly, I don't watch shounen a lot, and that's because I just.. can't stand pointless filler. If there's filler that I can actually take something from after viewing it, though, then I'd sit through it. That's just my personal taste though. After all, I understand that sometimes filler must be a requirement for long-running shounen at times too, to give padding and to allow for the characters to form all of these strong bonds with eachother and with the viewer.
Mar 16, 2017 4:57 PM

Oct 2014
I liked the filler episodes in Cardcaptor Sakura because they added a lot more to the world (although this also means adapting the Clear Card Arc might be difficult). I much preferred the Shugo Chara manga over the anime because it always got straight to the point rather than showing a pointless generic fight all the time like the anime did so I would say I didn't like the filler in that anime.
Mar 16, 2017 5:00 PM

Feb 2016
Wow guys you got pretty original ideas for liking fillers(and I mean it srsly), although if fillers make a show better for you then it only shows flaws in the source material. Most people dont like filler at all but I think its a good way to wait for the manga. You can decide between either skipping and saving 20 mins or if you have your weekly routine then watch the filler. I personally dont care if a show goes on hiatus or shows fillers as I skip them 90% of the time. It would be obviously preferred if they were of good quality.

Oh, I forgot about the review part: I think you should mention it and describe but also advise skipping/not skipping certain arcs/episodes but thats material for a bigger guide I guess.
SpaghettiSpikeMar 16, 2017 5:03 PM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 16, 2017 5:01 PM

Jan 2008
Fillers should be factored in the anime review, you shouldn't just skip it because it isn't from the source material, it isn't a review on the manga, it's a review on the anime.
Mar 16, 2017 5:07 PM

Apr 2016
I'm surprised to see so many people saying they like filler; I've always viewed it as an inherently negative term. To me, "down time" episodes of any anime aren't filler if they're entertaining or flesh out the universe/characters in some meaningful way. Filler adds nothing of value and is just there to take up space and pad airtime.
Mar 16, 2017 5:08 PM

Jul 2012
To me fillers are good when it doesn't feel like I'm watching a filler.
In particular it either blends well enough with the show that I can't spot the difference, it is generally entertaining, or it feels like the events are significant enough that I don't worry whether it's canon or not. Some exceptions to this though are things like crossovers or movie episodes.
Mar 16, 2017 5:10 PM

Feb 2010
If the options are to have filler or to have a well-paced canon adaption I'd always go for the canon just to be on the safe side. But I'm generally all for fillers if it means the show is going to continue as a long-runner. Because if it just ends it's unsure whether it will get another season, but as long as it continues I will eventually get to see more of the canon stuff too.

That being said, bad fillers are just bad and deserve to be criticized. Just because something is filler doesn't mean it has a free pass to be uncreative and boring and out of place. But just because something is filler also doesn't mean it's bad. Just saying 'this is bad because of filler' is not an argument. Why are the fillers bad? Good filler and good canon stuff both results in a good episode, it really doesn't make much of a difference. Also I don't see a problem with skipping them if you're still interested in the canon parts of the show so I'm never too harsh with my ratings on shows like Naruto. I skipped a lot of Naruto fillers because I always enjoyed the main story but a lot of the fillers were just extremely tedious so I didn't watch them but I don't want to judge the show based on the parts I didn't watch. But there were also some fillers in the later parts of Shippuuden that I legitimately enjoyed and wouldn't want to miss and which actually improved my opinion of the show.

From the perspective of a manga reader I can understand not liking them though. Generally changes to the source material are not well received among fans of the source material. I don't think it's always rational, but I'm not immune to it myself. I've been a long-time fan of the Walking Dead comics and when they got a TV adaption I was super hyped but ended up disappointed because they made so many changes to the source material. The funny thing is that the author himself advocated for a lot of these changes and he said he wanted to make the series a new experience so even fans of the comic can get surprised and aren't able to predict anything.

And I can see where he's coming from and logically I do think that an adaption can add or change things without it being an issue. It makes sense to want to provide the fans with a new and interesting experience instead of just giving them what they already got. But I still can't get over TWD TV Series killing off my favorite characters early on, ruining all the romance ships and just making more changes. Don't fit it if it ain't broke, basically.

So yeah, logically speaking I don't have an issue with fillers or others changes to the source material, but I know from experience how hard it is to stay neutral when you're personally involved. For that reason I try to avoid reading manga that have or are getting or are even likely to get an adaption at some point. I don't want to put myself in a position where I can't enjoy the anime even if it's good, just because it changes some things.

I can't even count how many times I've watched an anime and found it pretty damn good but the fans just couldn't get over it not being exactly the same as the source material. It always seems so petty to me but when I think of me and TWD I understand them.

What I can't understand though is willingly putting yourself in the position of only being able to judge the anime in relation to the source material and not on it's own. I'm talking about people who see that an anime is announced and rush to read the source material before it airs so they can then be unhappy with the adaption instead of just enjoying the adaption on its own merits. I always try to avoid that. I don't want another TWD where I'm unable to enjoy something just because I know the source material even though the adaption is still good as its own show. I'm pretty sure I'd have loved the TV Series if I didn't bring in certain expectations from the source material.

To some degree this applies to fillers too (which is why I brought it up). For example I never knew One Piece even had fillers because I wasn't reading the manga. Shows like Bleach and Naruto make it pretty damn obvious by just pausing the story in the middle of an arc or even fight but most shows are more subtle about the fillers and you won't necessarily notice them, especially filler endings when the source material wasn't completely adapted. And just viewing them as canon or filler in your mind can already make you think of them differently so not realizing filler is the best thing that can happen when it comes to your enjoyment.
AlcoholicideMar 16, 2017 5:18 PM
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 16, 2017 5:13 PM

Sep 2016
I watched Bleach, and that is the only one I watched that had a significant amount of fillers, but not all were bad. I did kind of enjoy the Bount arc, but it did get boring after a while, the Lady Rorichio (?) arc was not that good, the Reign arc was 'meh,' but the Zanpakto arc was really good. That was probably the only filler that I wish wasn't a filler because, let's be honest, who doesn't love seeing your favorite character have to fight their own weapon. Love 10/10

PS: I don't really know the official names of these arcs, I just named them what I normally call them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 16, 2017 6:34 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
To me it's more of a question like, is it entertaining or not. Because if it isn't then yeah, I wouldn't waste my time watching it.
Mar 16, 2017 7:57 PM

Aug 2014
A true fan will always watch fillers. i skip them because i like to finish the show and move on to another quick.
Mar 16, 2017 7:58 PM

Dec 2016
I like fillers if they arent boring. Even though Bleach had a lot of fillers, i still really enjoyed them. Dbz on the other-hand, is a different story.
ShadowCodeMar 16, 2017 8:02 PM
Mar 16, 2017 8:23 PM

Feb 2015
Mar 17, 2017 9:47 AM

Mar 2017
Bickslow77 said:
I like fillers for the reason that it seperates larger arcs and makes it seem like the MCs are not constantly at war.

I agree it creates more downtime for the characters. Otherwise it seems like as soon as one battle is over another one begins.
Mar 17, 2017 9:54 AM

May 2016
I'm not against filler episodes as a concept; I just want them to be good if they're there.

Slayers and Slayers NEXT had great filler episodes, for example, and if you disagree, you're wrong.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 17, 2017 11:54 AM

Sep 2015
It depends entirely on the filler; as a general rule of thumb, filler that feels like filler is filler I enjoy a lot less than filler which isn't immediately obvious as being filler. How many times can I say filler in one sentence?

If you look at some series like Rurouni Kenshin, I wasn't actually aware that a fair portion of episodes 1-30 were filler episodes; it wasn't until after I had seen the first 60 episodes and looked up where the canon episodes ended completely that I saw there had actually been fillers in the earlier parts of the series. The reason for this was because they were all mini-arcs in their own right and flowed quite naturally with the rest of the story. They didn't seem out of place or like they were there just to pad the episode count out.

But then you compare that to other filler, like the Jiggle Butt Gang from Fairy Tail, and suddenly it's entirely understandable why filler gets a bad name. Episodes that are pure stupidity are those I tend to skip entirely because they're obvious filler and I simply don't enjoy them, for the most part. The main reason for this is immersion. I want to feel immersed in the story, but when it suddenly comes to a halt and the characters are cross-dressing and doing other stupid shit just for the sake of doing stupid shit, it takes me completely out of the story.

I'll also give a mention to filler that is ruined by its awful timing, rather than by its actual quality. Twice in Bleach the story is stopped midway through arcs (and even midway through fucking fights, of all the places to start filler ... ) and filler begins. I had no problems with the filler arcs themselves - they were enjoyable in their own right - but I resented them purely because they were so jarringly forced in. Waiting dozens and dozens of episodes to see Ichigo vs Grimmjow fight, only for it to stop halfway through so that an entirely different arc can begin was both confusing (back when I didn't know what filler was and didn't understand why a new story was randomly starting) and hype-killing. Something you'd wait so long to see only for it to be stopped before the climax was awful, and made me hate the filler that took place purely for its timing and nothing more.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 17, 2017 12:02 PM

Mar 2017
Maz said:
It depends entirely on the filler; as a general rule of thumb, filler that feels like filler is filler I enjoy a lot less than filler which isn't immediately obvious as being filler. How many times can I say filler in one sentence?

If you look at some series like Rurouni Kenshin, I wasn't actually aware that a fair portion of episodes 1-30 were filler episodes; it wasn't until after I had seen the first 60 episodes and looked up where the canon episodes ended completely that I saw there had actually been fillers in the earlier parts of the series. The reason for this was because they were all mini-arcs in their own right and flowed quite naturally with the rest of the story. They didn't seem out of place or like they were there just to pad the episode count out.

But then you compare that to other filler, like the Jiggle Butt Gang from Fairy Tail, and suddenly it's entirely understandable why filler gets a bad name. Episodes that are pure stupidity are those I tend to skip entirely because they're obvious filler and I simply don't enjoy them, for the most part. The main reason for this is immersion. I want to feel immersed in the story, but when it suddenly comes to a halt and the characters are cross-dressing and doing other stupid shit just for the sake of doing stupid shit, it takes me completely out of the story.

I'll also give a mention to filler that is ruined by its awful timing, rather than by its actual quality. Twice in Bleach the story is stopped midway through arcs (and even midway through fucking fights, of all the places to start filler ... ) and filler begins. I had no problems with the filler arcs themselves - they were enjoyable in their own right - but I resented them purely because they were so jarringly forced in. Waiting dozens and dozens of episodes to see Ichigo vs Grimmjow fight, only for it to stop halfway through so that an entirely different arc can begin was both confusing (back when I didn't know what filler was and didn't understand why a new story was randomly starting) and hype-killing. Something you'd wait so long to see only for it to be stopped before the climax was awful, and made me hate the filler that took place purely for its timing and nothing more.

oh my the Jiggle Butt Gang....... Literally the worst characters in the entire show and the only filler I truly hate from Fairy Tail. So out of place and cringy.
Mar 17, 2017 12:10 PM

Sep 2015
keiski72 said:

oh my the Jiggle Butt Gang....... Literally the worst characters in the entire show and the only filler I truly hate from Fairy Tail. So out of place and cringy.

Yeah, all things considered I thought a fair portion of the filler in Fairy Tail was somewhat decent. But there's no excuse for the JBG.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 17, 2017 12:14 PM

Mar 2017
Maz said:
keiski72 said:

Yeah, all things considered I thought a fair portion of the filler in Fairy Tail was somewhat decent. But there's no excuse for the JBG.

I was checkin out your anime list you definitely need to watch Fairy Tail 2014 the first series ends on a huge cliffhanger. Lets just say shit gets crazy.....
Mar 17, 2017 12:17 PM

May 2015
I describe 'filler' as anything that kills time and adds nothing, no character development/exploration, humor, self-contained stories and so forth. Fillers also appear in short anime.

As for these anime, it doesn't matter whether they stray from the source or not. They're so long-winded for no reason they become crap.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 17, 2017 12:24 PM

Mar 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
I describe 'filler' as anything that kills time and adds nothing, no character development/exploration, humor, self-contained stories and so forth. Fillers also appear in short anime.

As for these anime, it doesn't matter whether they stray from the source or not. They're so long-winded for no reason they become crap.

They may not be in class with FMAB but there certainly not crap.... There's a reason there so popular.
Mar 17, 2017 12:41 PM
Jan 2015
Good writing is good writing, filler or not filler.

I prefer Dragon Ball Z over Dragon Ball Kai because of the filler it has, the one of the Saiyan saga at least. It made that whole year they train and wait for Vegeta and Nappa feel real and not just a time skip with a few samples for the characters to be stronger after it.

And I don't even like DBZ that much.
Mar 17, 2017 12:48 PM

Jun 2016
When I decide to watch a show, I decide to watch all of it. I'm not just gonna skip the episodes that I assume won't be fun, they're part of the show! That being said, some fillers really do make me sad. One Piece's Long Ring Long Land arc had me not want to watch anymore.
On the other side, some fillers are good. I enjoyed Bleach's Zanpakutō Rebellion no less than the non-filler episodes, at times even more.
Mar 17, 2017 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
Having fillers are better than story becoming unnecessary stretched, since they can be easily skipped. Dont care much about its quality since I dont think anyone watch it anymore. Fillers may have been still relevant few years ago, but not anymore
Mar 17, 2017 1:23 PM

Aug 2011
ltyannikov said:
23+ College girl, alone for the next few week. All alone...hmmm... looking for some good looking, fit, open-minded, fun company this weekend.... Im here - http://u.to/K2zMDw Nick - LillyWinter

Should watch the Zanpakuto Rebellion arc. Good stuff for the weekend.

OT: I'm a no-filler type of person. Sure they're part of the anime, but that doesn't mean I should care about them or waste my time if I don't find them interesting. Most, if not all, of Naruto filler arcs are so damn boring, I just can't sit and watch 20 episodes about some random person I don't care about. Bleach did kind of get it right (except Bount, fuck the Bount arc), but then again they shoved fillers in such crucial moments that it was hated so much more.

I can say the filler arc I did like from OG Naruto was the mini arc with the dude in that race.

Mar 17, 2017 2:39 PM

Dec 2015
Depends..
Sometimes they give the series a nice 'pause', while they stitche things together.
However, many anime (especially long running ones) tend to overdo it with fillers, thus end up ruining the whole experience..
Mar 17, 2017 2:44 PM

Dec 2012
I don't really mind fillers, though I don't really watch too many shows that feature much of them lol. Some fillers can actually be pretty entertaining.
Mar 17, 2017 11:20 PM

Jul 2014
Filler arcs are god awful straight up ass but I'd prefer those over ridiculously slow pacing.
Other than that I can't find anything positive about excessive filler.
Mar 17, 2017 11:29 PM

Mar 2017
Depends on what anime I am watching.

Animes like One Piece tend to have good quality fillers. Unfortunately, Toei are so braindead that they think stretching one chapter of a manga in one episode of anime is much better than giving fillers (looking at you, Dressrosa).

If we take any Clown's animes like Naruto or Bleach, then they have the shittest fillers and animations of all time. I would suggest to not even bother with them unless the fans recommend some filler arcs (The one with Kakashi is pretty good).

If the show's quality itself is very high then the fillers are pretty tolerable. Gintama has very less amount of fillers but they are still fun to watch.

tl;dr Read my first sentence.
Mar 18, 2017 12:40 AM

Jul 2012
Maz said:
keiski72 said:

To be fair, the jiggle butt gang was just a call back/cameo to rave master in which they were introduced. Which Fairy Tail does a ton of the time even in canon arcs.
GamerDLMMar 18, 2017 12:51 AM
Mar 18, 2017 12:42 AM
Feb 2017
I dislike fillers as I generally want to know the story based on how the author presents it, not the studio.
Mar 18, 2017 2:06 AM

May 2015
keiski72 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

They may not be in class with FMAB but there certainly not crap.... There's a reason there so popular.

Popularity has nothing to do with quality. Isn't that the most basic of the informal fallacies?
Mar 18, 2017 2:37 AM

Dec 2015
Well, actually they hate them, because they are normie trash, but I guess actual criticism and dumb nonsense are easy to mix up for a normie.
Mar 18, 2017 6:11 AM

May 2016
I would say no filler, but than I remembered One Piece's horrible pacing and animation. So I'm all up for filler as long as pace and animation of the main content, otherwise screw filler.

Mod Edit: Removed duplicated posts.
AlfyanMar 19, 2017 5:59 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Mar 18, 2017 6:49 AM

Nov 2014
The reality is that everything is fine if it is done well.

In order for a filler to work
1. Likable characters
2. Proper pacing
3. A decent storyline
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Mar 18, 2017 6:56 AM

Jun 2014
All depends. Ranma 1/2's best episode is a filler. Many of Urusei Yatsura's best episodes were filler.

Naruto, Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin's fillers were terrible. So not a simple yes/no question.
TEN COMMANDMENTS:
1) If Evangelion and Psycho-Pass are his only 10s, he probably also worships Tool and smells like cheesy puffs 2) Freudian psychosis =/= good writing 3) Moe blob art style is only ok in pure slice-of-life comedy 4) It's ok to enjoy shounen. Having fun is allowed 5) It is not ok to enjoy isekai (jk, it is, I just fucking hate it) 6) Creator breakdown =/= good writing 7) A story does not have to be wrapped up with a bow. Life is messy, why would a good story need to be tidy? 8) InuYasha is proto-Twilight 9) Ecchi CAN be good, but is almost always an abomination 10) If God is real, They allowed Super Kid to happen, so fuck Them
Mar 18, 2017 6:59 AM
Dec 2015
It doesn't really matter to me as long it's good.
Mar 18, 2017 7:01 AM

Feb 2017
Some fillers are good and you wont even notice that it was a filler.
But some are bad and get repetetive
Mar 18, 2017 12:59 PM
Yamete!

Apr 2016
As most said, if they are good then I'm ok with that.
Mar 18, 2017 1:03 PM

Sep 2016
hmm, the real question is 2B or not 2B?

CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 18, 2017 1:06 PM

Nov 2015
I don't care. I mean, if you are so frustrated they add to many fillers like in Naruto just skip them, they are not cannon. They are necessary so that the anime won't catch up to the manga . It's true that some are exagerating like Naruto, who is doing it only for money right now, but as I said, just don't watch it if you don't like them, I really find them annoying when people consider the fillers when talking about the quality of an anime.

Mar 19, 2017 12:43 AM

Feb 2017
Detective Conan is 75% fillers, I live on them so if you asked me whether I'd like to have less fillers, I would give you a definite no.

They started animating it in 1996, so if they didn't have fillers, it would have ended long ago. I like all fillers except in animes that are already boring (it would make it even worse).

☆°•*.`•艾门°*.`•°☆
Mar 19, 2017 1:52 AM

May 2015
xxxYaoiMaster said:
I don't care. I mean, if you are so frustrated they add to many fillers like in Naruto just skip them, they are not cannon. They are necessary so that the anime won't catch up to the manga . It's true that some are exagerating like Naruto, who is doing it only for money right now, but as I said, just don't watch it if you don't like them, I really find them annoying when people consider the fillers when talking about the quality of an anime.

That's like saying 'skip these 400 pages'. At this point, you're not experiencing the art like they delivered it but reconstructing it to suit your needs.
Mar 19, 2017 11:40 AM

Mar 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
xxxYaoiMaster said:

That's like saying 'skip these 400 pages'. At this point, you're not experiencing the art like they delivered it but reconstructing it to suit your needs.

That's why i'm not a fan of DB Kai. Sure it follow the manga but its wayyyyy shorter and cuts out so much content that was in the original show. Not to mention it's blood free which is just odd for something like Dragon Ball.
Mar 19, 2017 3:40 PM

Dec 2016
I wouldn't mind a little bit of filler every now and then, it mostly depends on the anime
Mar 19, 2017 4:10 PM

Sep 2015
fillers should be added in the review since you are reviewing the anime not the manga/series. if you think the fillers or the anime as a whole are bad than you can just redirect them to the source material, and vice versa.

as for the fillers themselves as long as they are decently written, produced, and well timed. pretty much in between large arcs as a breather and down time for the characters.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Mar 19, 2017 6:00 PM

Mar 2011
Thread has been merged due to duplication
Mar 19, 2017 6:07 PM

Dec 2016
I watch all of it, otherwise I wouldn't feel like I completed it. And when I don't feel like I completed it, it bugs me for a while
Mar 19, 2017 6:11 PM

Jul 2016
depends, for naruto i remember the second time rewatching i went ahead and watched according to a guide that showed which were fillers so i could avoid them.
for one piece, i'd watch fillers and they wouldn't even feel like fillers lol.
Mar 20, 2017 12:34 PM

May 2015
Keiski said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

That's why i'm not a fan of DB Kai. Sure it follow the manga but its wayyyyy shorter and cuts out so much content that was in the original show. Not to mention it's blood free which is just odd for something like Dragon Ball.

Well, I think that DBZ overdid it with the amount of content. It's overloaded and demands too much commitment. But hey, at least you view it as a whole work.
Mar 20, 2017 12:37 PM

Aug 2016
Yes, I watch fillers.

I can't say I completed the anime, if I skip the episodes.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - 7 hours ago

9 by alshu »»
2 seconds ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7405 by RainyEvenings »»
3 minutes ago

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 4 hours ago

17 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

76 by Rally- »»
55 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

58 by luisfunes99 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.