Forums
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 8, 2016 5:02 AM

Apr 2016
opiktea said:
CrashD said:

Idiotic? maybe. How is it pretentious?
Mind me not. I just want to unleash my fury.

Ummmmmmmmm okay.
Nov 8, 2016 6:45 AM

Nov 2009
QWERTYFish25 said:
Ryo's tits as much as I like them are a problem in that situation. You wanna do fan-service fine. But when you lack the confidence to push your plot along to the view so as you need to keep flopping tits in between the conversation says a bit about the author's intention. I've watched shows where fanservice is rampant. To the point I need to rewatch because I missed it or I simply didn't care. They rush the plot or the MC's lines but they dedicate bouncing breasts smack dab into the MC's joke or revelation. There's a difference between cutting to some awkward shit the sidekick is doing while in the midst of a serious moment and just trying to distract the viewer from either the main attraction or hide the show's flaws.

I think that some conversations were just boring, but could not be dropped off, because of some reason. Comic-relief Ryo-tas to the rescue!
Really, I have the impression that by the time Ryo-tas starts jumping around, everything worthwhile has already been said. When Gamon really goes overboard with his speeches (which are pretty dumb, just like Gamon himself), she even interrupts him. I like that.
Nov 8, 2016 3:28 PM

Nov 2013
flannan said:
Really, I have the impression that by the time Ryo-tas starts jumping around, everything worthwhile has already been said. When Gamon really goes overboard with his speeches (which are pretty dumb, just like Gamon himself), she even interrupts him. I like that.

I agree. Couldn't have said it better.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 10, 2016 2:56 PM
Apr 2007
No need to look far away as to why the big amount of hate.

The director of this show is failing fast and hard. That's what it is. He's trying to turn a suspenseful supernatural story into a comedy of sorts and fails miserably in the process.

The creative choices are all over the place and the dots are not really connecting. That's what puts people off.
Awkward cutting, hyperactive talking, horrible sound choices, 0 breather moments, jiggle physics and storytelling that's similarly all over the place.
And the main characters are trying to be copies from those from steins;gate, but we end up with B-level replacements instead.

And that's sad, because behind all the bad may be a story that's actually worth seeing. There's enough interesting points in the murders to help me return to this series.
I've watched through all five episodes and I'll probably keep watching till the end, hoping that there's a gem hiding in this train-wreck (although the chances for that are slim to none at this point).
Nov 11, 2016 8:59 AM

Mar 2014
Lower then 5k ratings...dayum son I know MAL ratings dont matter but man this Anime will be put behind peoples mind in the end with "Top Fall animes 2016"
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Nov 12, 2016 8:57 AM

Nov 2016
Lack of attention span. Only the first episode that's actually considered a mess, the rest is pretty straightforward providing you can be bothered to actually listen and watch the scenes. By episode three you can guess what the main mystery in this series (the mystery itself, NOT the solution) as well as a bunch of clues about what connecting the casts and what actually happened to them.
Nov 12, 2016 10:15 AM

Feb 2008
It doesn't seem to get enough hate, it's still higher than 6.00

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Nov 12, 2016 6:18 PM

Jul 2007
As someone who watched S;G and had zero expectations for this show, I'm enjoying it. The only things that I would complain about are:

1- Ryo-tas massive boobs. They're so stupidly big that I'm sure they can be seen from space so don't expect me to fully take your show seriously when you pull dumb crap like that. Want to make a fanservice anime, by all means, but don't figuratively (and almost literally, thank god that this show isn't in 3D) shove her boobs at my face whenever you get the chance.

2- You have no idea where the plot is going, what's connecting everyone together, etc. I can't honestly tell if this show will be great or a complete trainwreck.

That aside, I saw no similarities between this and S;G besides having sort of a few mystery vibes and characters with their own point of views. I guess it's like people mentioned before, people saw the ";" in the name and automatically expected it to be as great.

Other than that, even though they're different anime, I think people are full of BS giving this a lower score than Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume. I'd find watching paint dry more interesting than a show that devoid of substance that you could make a drinking game out of the times people say "doki doki suru" and watch one episode of it as call it a day, because the rest of them are so formulaic they're basically the same.

TL;DR: what the damn show, ignore the score and just see if it's your thing.
Nov 22, 2016 11:09 AM

Jan 2014
I dropped it after watching the first episode. It was too underwhelming...... this season is pretty bad so far.
Nov 22, 2016 11:20 AM

May 2009
Umineko said:
I dropped it after watching the first episode. It was too underwhelming...... this season is pretty bad so far.

What was underwhelming?
Also season is good. Just because there is no one anime that has huge following and retarded overhype (like Re:Zero and Erased) doesn't mean season is bad - sheeps and shitposters don't have show to praise/shit on.
Nov 22, 2016 12:47 PM

Sep 2016
I personally enjoy it, however I can also see why anyone can hate it.

1. Ryotas
2. Fast pace
3. Hype

I could easily prove that at least the first two actually make the show better, but as it´s usually said "Haters gonna hate"
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Nov 22, 2016 5:01 PM

Jan 2014
bastek66 said:
What was underwhelming?

The fact it tries to replicate bakemonogatari in a bad way. Couldn't get into the characters at all and the female with huge tits seems annoying.

bastek66 said:
Also season is good. Just because there is no one anime that has huge following and retarded overhype (like Re:Zero and Erased) doesn't mean season is bad - sheeps and shitposters don't have show to praise/shit on.

I don't follow the hype when it comes to anime. Not a lot of people spoke about new game and in my opinion, it was better than re:zero.
Nov 22, 2016 5:24 PM

May 2009
Umineko said:
bastek66 said:
What was underwhelming?

The fact it tries to replicate bakemonogatari in a bad way. Couldn't get into the characters at all and the female with huge tits seems annoying.

How the fuck is this anything like Bakemonogatari?
Nov 22, 2016 5:52 PM

Oct 2015
It has a girl with big boobs and that triggers people

oh and the pacing is meant to be garbage
Nov 22, 2016 7:24 PM

May 2009
Lobinde said:

What's wrong with pacing?
(Note: people talking fast isn't pacing)
Nov 22, 2016 9:10 PM

Nov 2009
bastek66 said:
Lobinde said:

What's wrong with pacing?
(Note: people talking fast isn't pacing)

It has pretty crazy pacing that is hard on the viewer. But it seems to work, since I'm still watching the anime.
Nov 22, 2016 9:13 PM

Mar 2016
After seven episodes, I can say that I don't mind the fast dialogue and the fanservice isn't really there. The story is actually mildly interesting too even with all of the attempts to cram as much info as possible into each episode.

What kills the enjoyment for me is the utter faggot of an MC. Seriously, literally anyone else including titty chan would have been better.
Aure0linNov 22, 2016 9:16 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Nov 22, 2016 11:44 PM

Feb 2014
It's definitely under-rated for MAL, but the show hasn't ended yet so that could change.

Also re: hate. I can't give this more than an 8 because I'm too grossed out by the distended boob. The first two eps or so were a little too all over the place but that's a minor problem compare to those two ginormous problems on Ryo-tas' chest. If the BL Lady and Boob Girl had slightly smaller boobs, or if they had bodies proportioned to support those boobs I'd give this a 9.

The pacing I actually quite enjoy, and the art & animation are both great. I'm not too fond of any of the characters though, and the whole pseudo-science thing is irking me out. I wish they just stuck to not explaining the 'science' of the soul.

Also I love how when people say Other;Titles, they casually forget the trainwreck that is Chaos;Head...
LemonNov 22, 2016 11:49 PM
Dec 16, 2016 8:17 AM

Mar 2014
It will forever remain average for me and a lot of watchers, but the end can be seen not too long now so who knows.
Dec 16, 2016 10:21 AM

May 2014
After catching up to the latest episode, I have to kinda agree with the low rating this show is getting on MAL. Occultic Nine tries very hard to be an intelligent and original show, perhaps trying to live up to Steins;Gate's expectations. But due to the horridly fast pacing and rather unmemorable characters all it ends up being instead is a convoluted mess. I pity native Japanese speakers who watch this show without the subs because the camera angles on this show are awful - sometimes being sideways or upside down for no good reason. Sure, it gets "better" after the first 5 episodes, and perhaps the last few episodes may redeem the entire show itself. But for now, the rating Occultic Nine is getting on MAL is entirely justified.
Dec 18, 2016 4:43 AM

Oct 2014
TheBigGuy said:

Like in Persona 4, when you have to guess the culprit. The goofball Adachi was one of the last persons I suspected.

WHY DID YOU SAID IT WITHOUT SPOILERTAG
Dec 18, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2013
PizzaWarrior said:
TheBigGuy said:

Like in Persona 4, when you have to guess the culprit. The goofball Adachi was one of the last persons I suspected.

Because the game is already 8 years old and it's hardly a spoiler anymore.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Dec 18, 2016 11:10 AM

Oct 2014
TheBigGuy said:
PizzaWarrior said:

Dunno, have bought PS Vita and P4G a couple months ago and it looks like pretty huge spoiler to me
Dec 18, 2016 11:24 AM

Jul 2009
PizzaWarrior said:
TheBigGuy said:

Dunno, have bought PS Vita and P4G a couple months ago and it looks like pretty huge spoiler to me

Yeah, I was shocked when I read that... >_>
Nobody should go around like that and spoil things, regardless of how old it is. I even played and completed P4G a few months ago, so I would be pretty mad if that would have spoiled me :/
Dec 19, 2016 5:44 AM

May 2013
So the show is almost over. Anybody think it's good? Not just average or passable but actually good?
PS: I haven't watched it beyond the 1st episode so just wanna know if i should or not
Dec 19, 2016 10:52 AM
Jan 2013
Baka-man said:
So the show is almost over. Anybody think it's good? Not just average or passable but actually good?
PS: I haven't watched it beyond the 1st episode so just wanna know if i should or not
For right now I'd say it's average/passable still, even with everything going on.
Dec 20, 2016 1:30 PM

Oct 2014
Baka-man said:

I think that show is really good, but I'm also liked first ep with its wild pacing
Dec 20, 2016 5:45 PM

Jun 2014
The problem is most people on this site arent willing to watch shows that require investment from the viewer. Everyone says, "waaaah this is too complex and confusing" and drops. Occultic;Nine intentionally gives zero consideration to helping viewers keep up with the pace; so it takes a lot of effort from viewers to understand what is going on. Keeping track of characters; reading subtitles at the speed of light; paying attention to and remembering major events; picking up on tiny details that are only shown visually; its a lot to digest, and once pieces of the mystery start to get solved, it feels like there is info dump after info dump that you have to process. The character dialogues will verbally give you all the answers, but you are responsible for assembling the pieces together to understand the big picture.

tl;dr The nontraditional story-telling technique makes the show a lot more exciting and interesting; but most people are not willing to put in the effort required to understand what they are watching and enjoy it.
Dec 22, 2016 10:38 AM

Jun 2011
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
The problem is most people on this site arent willing to watch shows that require investment from the viewer. Everyone says, "waaaah this is too complex and confusing" and drops. Occultic;Nine intentionally gives zero consideration to helping viewers keep up with the pace; so it takes a lot of effort from viewers to understand what is going on. Keeping track of characters; reading subtitles at the speed of light; paying attention to and remembering major events; picking up on tiny details that are only shown visually; its a lot to digest, and once pieces of the mystery start to get solved, it feels like there is info dump after info dump that you have to process. The character dialogues will verbally give you all the answers, but you are responsible for assembling the pieces together to understand the big picture.

tl;dr The nontraditional story-telling technique makes the show a lot more exciting and interesting; but most people are not willing to put in the effort required to understand what they are watching and enjoy it.

I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, this isn't the case. I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that this show has become, at least in the last three or four episodes, an unqualified mess. The characters talk at the speed of light and sound like they're saying intelligent things, but ultimately, it's all pseudoscientific garbage masquerading as actual theory. The show's premise (that the main characters are all dead people kept alive as electronically-charged particles by scandium of all things) is not just unrealistic--which I admit doesn't disqualify it; this is anime after all--but the visuals, story, and animation have no idea how to cope with it. How are they driving cars? Why can they hold things? How can they speak to other people? Radio waves? Give me a break. If we give the plot point itself the benefit of the doubt, the fact remains that it makes the rest of show harder and harder to keep theoretically consistent. And the way in which this revelation was communicated to us is so obtuse as to be almost completely incomprehensible. Trust me, I've been paying attention to the infodumping thus far--nothing this show has communicated to me thus far has made even the faintest lick of sense. And this isn't because it's "too complex", but you are right about one thing: this is because Occultic;Nine "intentionally gives zero consideration to helping viewers keep up with the pace"--thus leaving us all out to dry while the show engages in a massive circlejerk of quackery and eclecticism.

Plot progression has also been a huge problem with this series, so much so that if you asked me what this show was about, I'd have trouble telling you in any concise manner. It seems like a bunch of misfits centered around the occult, but then a bunch of people commit suicide and this albino kid uses their bodies in some sort of ancient curse that was literally introduced THAT SAME EPISODE in order to make use of it in a gratuitous display of blood and gore in a shrine somewhere--followed by the introduction of yet another character that had not been foreshadowed up until this point who just so happens to be able to use psychic powers to look into the lives of the dead and communicate with them, a contrivance specifically made to move the plot forward from the dead end that it had been written into. Every plot revelation and significant event in this series (Gamon's dad being a goddamn cult leader, Ryouka being the illegitimate daughter of frigging Nikola Tesla, et cetera) has been largely unforeshadowed in this vein, and seems to just muddy the waters more and more instead of making things clearer like it should. Rather than watching a tight knot slowly being undone, watching this show is like watching someone tighten a knot to the point where you'd have to cut it out to straighten things out.

The characters themselves are nothing as well; they're just placid containers of information (like Sarai or Ryouka) for the writers to use for infodumping purposes, or they're stand-ins for the viewer in this very process (like Gamon or Miyuu). They have no distinguishable or interesting personalities of their own, and seem to operate on the basis of tropes and clichés most of the time. I've never once felt attached to any one of them, and even if this was the story's intention, I can't help but feel that it's lazy and it takes me out of the experience personally. Ironically, there were some characters that, when they were introduced at the beginning of the story, I figured would be pretty interesting, like Aria, Shun, and Ririka, but the show has largely written them out of relevancy for the final act and treats them like they don't exist. Even if they were brought back for the final episode in some sort of capacity, their roles will be so convoluted and cryptic that I doubt I'll even be able to care.

This rant is not meant to be directed personally at you, m-i-c-h-e-a-l, but it's something that I needed to get off my chest. I was personally pretty hyped for this show when it came out: the premise sounded interesting, it was done by the studio that did Steins;Gate (one of my favourite shows of all time), the art and animation had an aesthetic that did and still does appeal to me, and the characters seemed to hold a lot of intrigue that I hoped the show would make good on. Unfortunately, we are getting the last episode on Saturday and it seems like the show has utterly wasted (or, in the case of the latter aspect, failed to deliver on) all of these aspects. This is my honest assessment as the show as a whole, and while I don't begrudge anyone from liking the show, it seems to me more and more nowadays--in the wake of disappointing shows like Chaos;Head, Robotics;Notes, and now this--that Steins;Gate was a one-off and that I'll never get anything remotely as interesting from this studio ever again. And that's the sad thing about all of this.

Occultic;Nine can make me laugh, but it can't do much more than that.
Reaper71Jun 22, 2017 7:57 AM
And what if all love is an act of bravery?

Could you look me in the eye and say that you are not afraid?

Dec 22, 2016 8:03 PM

Jun 2014
Reaper71 said:
I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, this isn't the case. I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that this show has become, at least in the last three or four episodes, an unqualified mess. The characters talk at the speed of light and sound like they're saying intelligent things, but ultimately, it's all pseudoscientific garbage masquerading as actual theory. The show's premise (that the main characters are all dead people kept alive as electronically-charged particles by scandium of all things) is not just unrealistic--which I admit doesn't disqualify it; this is anime after all--but the visuals, story, and animation have no idea how to cope with it. How are they driving cars? Why can they hold things? How can they speak to other people? Radio waves? Give me a break. If we give the plot point itself the benefit of the doubt, the fact remains that it makes the rest of show harder and harder to keep theoretically consistent. And the way in which this revelation was communicated to us is so obtuse as to be almost completely incomprehensible. Trust me, I've been paying attention to the infodumping thus far--nothing this show has communicated to me thus far has made even the faintest lick of sense. And this isn't because it's "too complex", but you are right about one thing: this is because Occultic;Nine "intentionally gives zero consideration to helping viewers keep up with the pace"--thus leaving us all out to dry while the show engages in a massive circlejerk of quacker and eclecticism.

But its fiction. It is a mystery series, so people want answers. But it is also largely a supernatural series, so the mysteries they are having to answer to are along the lines of "why/how did they become ghosts?" ect. Therefore, to give a satisfactory explanation to the mystery, there will be pseudoscience. And it's a fictional story, so pseudoscience shouldn't be a problem. Any person with common sense knows you cant make ghosts from injecting people with a random element from the Period Table. Also, the pseudoscience is the reason why characters talk at lightspeed. They know many people won't be interested with long, detailed, and made-up explanations; so they make characters speed talk through it, but leave it there for the people who want answers.

@ paragraph 3; Some of the characters (though few) do have personalities. Other characters have bland personalities (which is not the same as having no personality); Other characters have mysterious or difficult to read personalities; but this is intentional towards the overall tone of the show. Also, the show isnt meant to be about the characters; it is more about unraveling a series of events. A show like Durarara heavily revolves around character personalities and actions; but Occultic;Nine uses its inventory of characters for mechanical purposes. (This is why people REALLY need to stop comparing Durarara to every other show with more than 5 characters).
Dec 25, 2016 9:50 AM

Mar 2014
Even in the end..the anime was rushy as heck like jeez had potetial from episode 6 onwards but never fully succeed in a grat ending but rather a okay ish one.

Let the hate carry on through the future and more -.-
Dec 31, 2016 10:52 PM

Mar 2015
I wanted to like this show but everything just felt rushed and some of the dialogue was too quick.
Jan 2, 2017 12:12 AM

Jan 2013
I can safely say it deserves most the hate it gets.
Lightning-speed pacing, unbearable characters and pretentious pseudosicence do not mix well.

It's still not the worst thing ever, just average.
Jan 3, 2017 7:05 AM
Aug 2010
Reaper71 said:
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion, this isn't the case. I think a lot of people would agree with me when I say that this show has become, at least in the last three or four episodes, an unqualified mess. The characters talk at the speed of light and sound like they're saying intelligent things, but ultimately, it's all pseudoscientific garbage masquerading as actual theory. The show's premise (that the main characters are all dead people kept alive as electronically-charged particles by scandium of all things) is not just unrealistic--which I admit doesn't disqualify it; this is anime after all--but the visuals, story, and animation have no idea how to cope with it. How are they driving cars? Why can they hold things? How can they speak to other people? Radio waves? Give me a break. If we give the plot point itself the benefit of the doubt, the fact remains that it makes the rest of show harder and harder to keep theoretically consistent. And the way in which this revelation was communicated to us is so obtuse as to be almost completely incomprehensible. Trust me, I've been paying attention to the infodumping thus far--nothing this show has communicated to me thus far has made even the faintest lick of sense. And this isn't because it's "too complex", but you are right about one thing: this is because Occultic;Nine "intentionally gives zero consideration to helping viewers keep up with the pace"--thus leaving us all out to dry while the show engages in a massive circlejerk of quacker and eclecticism.

Plot progression has also been a huge problem with this series, so much so that if you asked me what this show was about, I'd have trouble telling you in any concise manner. It seems like a bunch of misfits centered around the occult, but then a bunch of people commit suicide and this albino kid uses their bodies in some sort of ancient curse that was literally introduced THAT SAME EPISODE in order to make use of it in a gratuitous display of blood and gore in a shrine somewhere--followed by the introduction of yet another character that had not been foreshadowed up until this point who just so happens to be able to use psychic powers to look into the lives of the dead and communicate with them, a contrivance specifically made to move the plot forward from the dead end that it had been written into. Everything plot revelation and significant event in this series (Gamon's dad being a goddamn cult leader, Ryouka being the illegitimate daughter of frigging Nikola Tesla, et cetera) has been largely unforeshadowed in this vein, and seems to just muddy the waters more and more instead of making things clearer like it should. Rather than watching a tight knot slowly being undone, watching this show is like watching someone tighten a knot to the point where you'd have to cut it out to straighten things out.

The characters themselves are nothing as well; they're just placid containers of information (like Sarai or Ryouka) for the writers to use for infodumping purposes, or they're stand-ins for the viewer in this very process (like Gamon or Miyuu). They have no distinguishable or interesting personalities of their own, and seem to operate on the basis of tropes and clichés most of the time. I've never once felt attached to any one of them, and even if this was the story's intention, I can't help but feel that it's lazy and it takes me out of the experience personally. Ironically, there were some characters that, when they were introduced at the beginning of the story, I figured would be pretty interesting, like Aria, Shun, and Ririka, but the show has largely written them out of relevancy for the final act and treats them like they don't exist. Even if they were brought back for the final episode in some sort of capacity, their roles will be so convoluted and cryptic that I doubt I'll even be able to care.

This rant is not meant to be directed personally at you, m-i-c-h-e-a-l, but it's something that I needed to get off my chest. I was personally pretty hyped for this show when it came out: the premise sounded interesting, it was done by the studio that did Steins;Gate (one of my favourite shows of all time), the art and animation had an aesthetic that did and still does appeal to me, and the characters seemed to hold a lot of intrigue that I hoped the show would make good on. Unfortunately, we are getting the last episode on Saturday and it seems like the show has utterly wasted (or, in the case of the latter aspect, failed to deliver on) all of these aspects. This is my honest assessment as the show as a whole, and while I don't begrudge anyone from liking the show, it seems to me more and more nowadays--in the wake of disappointing shows like Chaos;Head, Robotics;Notes, and now this--that Steins;Gate was a one-off and that I'll never get anything remotely as interesting from this studio ever again. And that's the sad thing about all of this.

Occultic;Nine can make me laugh, but it can't do much more than that.

Just a little bit of information, O;N (A-1) was not made by the same studio as S;G(white fox) .
The ";" series are from 5pb and nitroplus, and they generally are visual novels, except for O;N.
Jan 3, 2017 7:36 AM

Apr 2015
I Actually Loved It And Rated It 8/10.Dont Know The Hate :)
Jan 3, 2017 10:23 AM

Aug 2015
Uchihaaa said:

The fact that the series rushes on important elements of the series and the characters aren't developed. I think that's enough to say the series is bad.
It's a Nisemonodurarara. :/
Jan 3, 2017 12:28 PM

Apr 2015
TuyNOM said:
Uchihaaa said:

The fact that the series rushes on important elements of the series and the characters aren't developed. I think that's enough to say the series is bad.
Yes That Is Indeed True But It Was Better Than Most Shows Last Season IMO...
Jan 3, 2017 2:16 PM

Aug 2015
Uchihaaa said:
TuyNOM said:

Yes That Is Indeed True But It Was Better Than Most Shows Last Season IMO...

The series was a huge potential to make a masterpiece.
But the director has ruined everything.
That frustrates me a little ...
Jan 3, 2017 4:23 PM
Jul 2016
maybe im just stupid

i never asked to get my review be the most helpful

its all my opinion
Jan 23, 2017 9:32 AM

Jan 2014
I'm currently on catching up most anime in the last season, because I thought it would be better to just marathon it rather than follow them every week.

but before I started to watch, I wonder if this show is still worthed, because I hate to watch an anime with cliffhanger ending or something like that.

so, is this show still worth watching?
Feb 4, 2017 6:15 AM

Nov 2009
Abyhape said:
I'm currently on catching up most anime in the last season, because I thought it would be better to just marathon it rather than follow them every week.

but before I started to watch, I wonder if this show is still worthed, because I hate to watch an anime with cliffhanger ending or something like that.

so, is this show still worth watching?

Do you fancy yourself clever?
Are you tired of shows that spend 3 episodes to chew up a character's battle technique?
Do you want something unusual in general?
If you answered "yes" to any of it - go on and watch it. It will be worth your time.

Baka-man said:

Yes, it's good. I rated it 8 out of 10. There is about 1000 voters who rated it 10 out of 10 on MAL. The most votes are on "7: good" mark.
Did you like Lain, Chaos;Head or any other hard-to-get-into show? If yes, go on and watch it.

TuyNOM said:
Uchihaaa said:

This isn't a character-driven show. And that's what makes it good. People suck.
Also yes, it's pacing is not for everyone, but compared to S.E.Lain it's pretty accessible.
flannanFeb 4, 2017 6:36 AM
Feb 4, 2017 6:46 AM

Aug 2015
flannan said:

TuyNOM said:

Also yes, it's pacing is not for everyone, but compared to S.E.Lain it's pretty accessible.

It may be a question of tastes but I'm more interested in the shows that showcase the characters and develop them. That's why I didn't like Occultic; Nine.

Having not yet read the light novel, I don't know if it's also the same in the original support... :
Feb 4, 2017 6:56 AM

Oct 2015
TuyNOM said:
flannan said:

It may be a question of tastes but I'm more interested in the shows that showcase the characters and develop them. That's why I didn't like Occultic; Nine.

Having not yet read the light novel, I don't know if it's also the same in the original support... :
the light novel was canceled as far as I'm aware, they did plan for this to be a VN though
Feb 4, 2017 10:42 AM

Aug 2015
EGOIST said:
TuyNOM said:
the light novel was canceled as far as I'm aware, they did plan for this to be a VN though

Okay, thank you for the information. I didn't know.
This will be a way to review the shortcomings of the scenario.
Feb 5, 2017 9:13 AM

Mar 2010
IMHO, I don't find O;N to be outright a bad anime. I loved the pacing, nothing infuriates me more than slow pacing. However, I do think it didn't have an established target audience. Do you like action and suspense? Well, there is like 10 minutes of that in total. Do you like deep themes that resonate with your life? This is basically about dead people wanting to travel back in time and I doubt anyone can relate to that. Do you like a complex well built plot? This has as many holes as an emmental cheese. Do you like an anime that's easy to follow? Yeah, nice try, bye.

Basically, only a minority of people will actually enjoy it because it tries to be way too smart and complicates its own plot so hard that it creates more plot holes than plot points. Sure, it has its bright moments and I really liked about 80% of the cast (I wish Sarai was the MC). But for an anime so heavily focused on plot that it neglects characters (which is perfectly fine in my book) it creates unnecessary inconsistencies and the plot eventually leads to nothing greater than "and so they returned to their normal lives". Middle 5-6 episodes were actually really good (from ep 5) but the last episode was just excruciatingly boring to watch and all the interesting plot points went nowhere.

In other words, there is no central audience this anime would be focusing on and that let to majority of people disliking it because it tried to be everything at once and did nothing properly.
Feb 10, 2017 1:10 PM

Nov 2009
Reaper71 said:
Plot progression has also been a huge problem with this series, so much so that if you asked me what this show was about, I'd have trouble telling you in any concise manner.

A sinister plot is unfolding in Tokyo - a bunch of mad capitalists want to take over the world with the help of technology that is meant to give people eternal life as extra-real ghosts. A number of young people have what it takes to solve this mystery, but most of them fall prey to the first test of the technology, and they die, mind-controlled to drown in a lake. Fortunately, they do get eternal life as ghosts, but it does not help them to solve the mystery. They enlist help of a psychometric detective, arrest a psycho killer entangled with the conspiracy, crack the code by a dead defector of the conspiracy, but it leads them nowhere. Threads of the puzzle seem slipping out of their hands, when the plan concocted by the ghost of Nicola Tesla's daughter comes to fruition, and they manage to pull through.

SuiNoByakko said:
Do you like a complex well built plot? This has as many holes as an emmental cheese.

Oh no, not another of those unsupported "plot holes" statements. Sure, the anime leaves a few questions unanswered, but there are no plot holes here. The term "plot hole" has a very precise meaning, and it does not mean "I did not understand it".
Apr 24, 2017 9:58 AM

Mar 2014
The thing I hate about it is that it's like watching a normal anime on 2x speed. It moves so fast I don't take half of it in.
Jan 2, 2018 6:02 PM

Sep 2016
Just finished watching this dubbed and I have to say it's actually a lot better than I expected. The problem seems to stem from the rush pacing but that's to be expected as the whole story is crammed into 12 short episodes.
If this was 24 episodes instead then I bet the average score would be at least an 8 or something. I have to say, the story is almost as good as Steins Gate. Shame the studio didn't bother enough to make a quality anime adaptation.
Hopefully they localize the visual novel to the west so I can actually fully enjoy this.

The melon tits though, that's the only think I can't understand.
aSuperiorGamerJan 2, 2018 6:28 PM

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Feb 16, 2021 6:13 AM
Nov 2020
Ryuu_Mayo said:
Two things: pacing n boobs, anime is really good and unique
Fast pacing helps with overall "crazy" vibe

So the consclusion in this topic just a "Because of fast pacing and gigantic boobs" Lmao that was simple lol
Mar 4, 2021 9:50 PM
Feb 2021

Mnurrafi said:
Ryuu_Maymessage=61809643 said:
Two things: pacing n boobs, anime is really good and unique
Fast pacing helps with overall "crazy" vibe

So the consclusion in this topic just a "Because of fast pacing and gigantic boobs" Lmao that was simple lol

Agree because I wasn't keen on keep on going back when it was a seasonal watch. I mean everything was so condensed with all the fast-paced talking and info being displayed in the subs that you're forced to pause to read the subs containing the info on-screen. I doubt listening to English dub will make a difference or lessen the off-putting condensed stuff I was seeing in first episode.

As well as the male MC being too childish and unrealistic. Being the admin of an occult site means part of you who must be serious to be suspicious of any ghost coming to attack you.

In the final minutes of first episode, he was grabbing a knife and swinging it like it's a really cool toy...I know it's very dark in the professor's room but the way he reacts doesn't make him a serious guy who believes in the occult and ghost stuff. He didn't even anticipate that there's something suspicious in the dark room he was in.

That got me put off with this scriptwriting being off-putting and making me believe that I'm unable to take the main character seriously. As for side characters, they're kind of one-dimensional though that's due to appearing suddenly without proper introduction or a piece of important info about who they are exactly.

Instead, we only remember as "son of professor" and "cheerful childhood friend" and so forth as those kind of introduction in first episode I had dropped long time ago.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

218 by HibiChika »»
Aug 4, 7:21 AM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

172 by Selltar »»
Jun 10, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

450 by Selltar »»
Jun 10, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

95 by Archean-Return »»
May 20, 2:36 PM

» For the people who seen it

mathbg - Sep 8, 2023

3 by mathbg »»
Sep 9, 2023 8:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.