Forum Settings
Forums

Petting confirmed removed from the English localized version of Fire Emblem: Fates

New
Pages (27) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Feb 12, 2016 6:36 AM
Feb 2014
megahobbit said:
I find this whole thing interesting its really weird that nintendo is trying to market what for all intents and purposes is a niche game to a mainstream audience.

Far, far from mainstream if you ask me. Fire Emblem's niche as it gets. Most casual Nintendo fans/buyers don't even know Fire Emblem well enough as it is aside from Smash.

Vanisher said:
Fun thing, I work at a video game dev company and the other day one of my coworkers was talking to me and said me "hey did you read about that controversy about the new fire emblem game? you could pet characters with the stylus in the japanese version? that's creepy" and I remembered this thread and laughed.

But hey it's a "extremely small minority" right?

Nah, not really a small minority. In fact, I'd wager more gamers are against it anyways. Hell, those who don't care outnumber everyone, including those who advocate for censorship such as you. Talk about being against censorship yet, this alone makes your skin crawl. Astounding agenda with double standards galore you want to push that you've got there.
AqutanFeb 12, 2016 6:50 AM
Feb 12, 2016 6:52 AM

Feb 2016
Its going to be very interesting seeing the sale figures.
Feb 12, 2016 7:49 AM

Apr 2012
SaltySeaking said:
The censored games are successful too. =/

Everyone and their mother just bought Xenoblade even with the changes.
Actually, UK charts say otherwise, Xenoblades didn't flop for certain, but it wasn't much more than a "thanks for giving me my money back".

Anyway, the issue here isn't that there games will flop because of these changes, the issue is these games get less sales because of these changes because there's another group boycotting it except the usual groups. That is, the anti-censorship group.
Rinshansan said:
Nah, not really a small minority. In fact, I'd wager more gamers are against it anyways. Hell, those who don't care outnumber everyone, including those who advocate for censorship such as you. Talk about being against censorship yet, this alone makes your skin crawl. Astounding agenda with double standards galore you want to push that you've got there.
You'd wager, but you'd be wrong. I'll drop this poll until I get bored.

I mean, it's still a 3% margin of error at 1.4m sales if it's as successful as Awakening.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Feb 12, 2016 8:07 AM

Feb 2016
That's a weird poll. Where is the "I'm not buying the game because it's censored" option? Thats as softcore of a poll as it gets. lol
SaltySeakingFeb 12, 2016 8:13 AM
Feb 12, 2016 8:16 AM

Apr 2012
SaltySeaking said:
That's a weird poll. Where is the "I'm not buying the game because it's censored" option? Thats as softcore of a poll as it gets. lol
You keep on missing the point. No matter how you take it, the people that are bothered by this shit are a minimal group, and even if all of them wouldn't have bought the game, they wouldn't be able to even outnumber at least 1/4 or less the people that are against this change (even if ALL of them wouldn't buy the game because the petting or other content is still in).

And because there are people actively boycotting and pirating too from the anti-censorship group, there is at least a percentage of people that won't buy the game part of the higher %'s.

Just because you don't understand data, that doesn't mean it doesn't work in my favor.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 8:22 AM

Apr 2013
I don't get it? Are people actually in favour of censorship in the name of "localization?"

What a fucking cancerous cesspool full of sheeple.
Feb 12, 2016 8:24 AM

Feb 2016
And how many plan on pirating and boycotting the game? Can't see shit because theres no poll expressing that. I'd wager a majority of people that bitch about it will still buy the game.

Do you think the pirating/boycotting is going to be greater than the physical sale copies of the game?

Feb 12, 2016 8:29 AM

Apr 2012
SaltySeaking said:
And how many plan on pirating and boycotting the game? Can't see shit because theres no poll expressing that. I'd wager a majority of people that bitch about it will still buy the game.

Do you think thats going to be greater than the physical sale copies of the game?

E.g.

The most upvoted comments are those that claim they won't buy the game and cancelled their preorders.

Any other site that respects themselves is the same, like Nichegamer.

And I think I told you already, I never thought that any of these groups will make a dent in the sales, MOST PEOPLE INDEED DON'T CARE EITHER WAY. The issue is the anti-censorship group is bigger than the pro-censorship group. That also translates in more freedom of content. So why pick the idiots?

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 8:51 AM
Feb 2014
Immahnoob said:
SaltySeaking said:
The censored games are successful too. =/

Everyone and their mother just bought Xenoblade even with the changes.
Actually, UK charts say otherwise, Xenoblades didn't flop for certain, but it wasn't much more than a "thanks for giving me my money back".

Anyway, the issue here isn't that there games will flop because of these changes, the issue is these games get less sales because of these changes because there's another group boycotting it except the usual groups. That is, the anti-censorship group.
Rinshansan said:
You'd wager, but you'd be wrong. I'll drop this poll until I get bored.

I mean, it's still a 3% margin of error at 1.4m sales if it's as successful as Awakening.

Well I stand corrected then. Nice to know people have the right mind all along!
Feb 12, 2016 9:09 AM

Feb 2016
Never said I was pro-censorship. I believe you should be able to do whatever you want to do with your work, but just slap on the appropriate age rating.

So you have a tiny group being vocal about the censorship, an even smaller group defending it, but a gigantic group that simply doesn't care.

Now try to think why the censors are there to begin with. Could it possibly effect the ESRB rating for a game? Japan is just plain weird? The social justice police? Or a blend of all? There's a reason behind everything no matter how irrational it originally seems. I'd rather try to understand the thinking before loading up with my pitchfork.
Feb 12, 2016 9:09 AM

Apr 2012
The full changes to the Henry support conversations with Olivia are here. Found 'em.

@SaltySeaking
Never said I was pro-censorship.
Never said you were.
Well, maybe I did once but that was when I didn't know your position and you were ambiguous. I think... I won't check.

Now try to think why the censors are there to begin with. Could it possibly effect the ESRB rating for a game?
No. Content like "blow at your waifu" and bathhouses are still in. "Wake up your waifu" is still there too, so petting shouldn't have been an issue.

Japan is just plain weird?
I'm not sure how it's related...

The social justice police?
This and yet not this. Treehouse is also filled with SJWs.
There's a reason behind everything no matter how irrational it originally seems. I'd rather try to understand the thinking before loading up with my pitchfork.
Sure, I guess... I don't accept any reasons for censorship unless they harm the sales considerably, like an AO rating would.
ImmahnoobFeb 12, 2016 9:12 AM

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 9:24 AM
Mar 2011
any one whp defends this change in pro censorship

this is not like taking nukes from a game in the Japanese market a thing that still hold deep physiological scares for he people of the nation [ im anti censorship but that midly understandable]

while this and nis us censorship is benal and infantile as is the ESRB

but my view is of i was the artist is say ban my game i wont have my art censored [changed] of puritanical benal and over all infantile reasoning

fuck nintendo fr this[ id stand my fellow gamers world wide on this
its non censored here but it should not be censored

at lest for alont of Japanese games over all it happens more ot japanese game beng taken over to us then the other way round

soimg liek ao does not extaist in japan cero z games are not banned form stores

cero are less puritanical and infantie when it comes ot Games and censoring of them [ or even banning them]
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 12, 2016 11:51 AM
Feb 12, 2016 12:39 PM

Jan 2013
Localization is not the same thing as censorship.
Feb 12, 2016 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
megahobbit said:
Actually, in most cases it is.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
Immahnoob said:

The most upvoted comments are those that claim they won't buy the game and cancelled their preorders.
hehe

My inbox has been plagued ever since.
Feb 12, 2016 1:52 PM

Apr 2012
Battlechili said:
Immahnoob said:

hehe

My inbox has been plagued ever since.
Kek, I didn't actually read who wrote them. I missed it.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 2:18 PM

Sep 2011

They aren't even trying holy shit...... Fucking disgusting.
Feb 12, 2016 2:22 PM

Apr 2012
Fullmetal89 said:

They aren't even trying holy shit...... Fucking disgusting.
Not yet, not just yet. Hehehe...

There had to be memes too.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 2:27 PM
Mar 2011
megahobbit said:

you art has to be changed its censorship yes im that hardliner on this any art audio visual or textual censorship in genreal if not its cultural censorship witch is even worse the us us not be as melting pot s people says if cultural censorship is needed

Localisation is just cultural censorship and its insidous
#Translatenotlocalize
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 12, 2016 4:17 PM

Sep 2011

Yeah I saw that one this morning.....what the fuck are they doing...? memes literally everywhere.
Feb 12, 2016 4:29 PM

Feb 2010
Rinshansan said:

Vanisher said:
Fun thing, I work at a video game dev company and the other day one of my coworkers was talking to me and said me "hey did you read about that controversy about the new fire emblem game? you could pet characters with the stylus in the japanese version? that's creepy" and I remembered this thread and laughed.

But hey it's a "extremely small minority" right?

I don't actually advocate the censorship, my problem comes with this kind of shit being in the original version to begin with. I don't care if they leave them or take them away for localizations.

Also I don't know what the fuck you are on about there at the end.

Btw the translation itself does look awful though.
VanisherFeb 12, 2016 4:38 PM
Feb 12, 2016 5:43 PM

Apr 2012
This fits this situation a lot.

Autocrat said:
Feb 12, 2016 8:22 PM
Feb 13, 2016 3:50 AM

Jan 2013
I'm only a mark away from bingo

Feb 13, 2016 4:23 AM

Apr 2012
I'd say you tick "It's a cultural difference!", it's been used in this very thread.

@Vanisher also tried to talk about my "shit taste", so I guess the "common decency" one COULD be ticked if we wanted to stretch it.

Autocrat said:
Feb 13, 2016 5:10 AM

Apr 2012
@dragonage2ftw Don't bother arguing with me on YouTube.

At least if you want to lose an argument, lose it here on this thread.

Autocrat said:
Feb 13, 2016 8:49 PM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
SaltySeaking said:

Do you think thats going to be greater than the physical sale copies of the game?

E.g.

Any other site that respects themselves is the same, like Nichegamer.

And I think I told you already, I never thought that any of these groups will make a dent in the sales, MOST PEOPLE INDEED DON'T CARE EITHER WAY. The issue is the anti-censorship group is bigger than the pro-censorship group. That also translates in more freedom of content. So why pick the idiots?

No, the top upvoted comment on that video is one that's making fun of the anti censorship group.

In fact, most of the videos regarding Tates that talk about the censorship that have the most upvotes are ones that are against censorship.

Also, if you're interested, here's a full list of people that are doing the American dub for Fates.
http://nintendoeverything.com/full-lineup-of-english-voice-actors-in-fire-emblem-fates/

Feb 13, 2016 8:51 PM

Apr 2014

Out of all of the things that you had to complain about, you chose to complain about the character that most people think has gotten better with the localization?

Like, that other kid's translation was garbage, but Kana's is fine.

Feb 14, 2016 12:11 AM

Jan 2013
DateYutaka said:
megahobbit said:

you art has to be changed its censorship yes im that hardliner on this any art audio visual or textual censorship in genreal if not its cultural censorship witch is even worse the us us not be as melting pot s people says if cultural censorship is needed

#Translatenotlocalize

For me unless the government is involved I wouldnt call it censorship.
Feb 14, 2016 1:48 AM
Mar 2011
megahobbit said:
DateYutaka said:

#Translatenotlocalize

For me unless the government is involved I wouldnt call it censorship.

any time art is changed from it proper from fir this sort reason its censorship

simple as that this forced self censorship that this is a case of is the mst insidous forn of censorship and it also shows how gutless noa is as it always has been of noa cared about artistic intgraty at all they would have stood no censorship but its always noa

fe needs kaga back now hes always had guts or at least a yamauchi style leader as a whole what both noj noa and Nintendo has whole needs fire reggie and get someone whose back ground is video games and not someone who is the kyp frye of video games

Feb 14, 2016 3:55 AM

Apr 2012
Dragonage2ftw said:

Out of all of the things that you had to complain about, you chose to complain about the character that most people think has gotten better with the localization?

No one cares if you think your small group of 20 people is fine with the translation or not. This isn't faithful nor fits the situation or character.

No, the top upvoted comment on that video is one that's making fun of the anti censorship group.
I doubt asking for a patch to install the lost content means making fun of the anti-censorship group.

In fact, most of the videos regarding Tates that talk about the censorship that have the most upvotes are ones that are against censorship.
Yes, indeed, the ones that are against censorship are the most popular, thanks for agreeing with me.

@megahobbit

And you are wrong.

E.g. one source to dismiss your assertion https://www.aclu.org/what-censorship

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 6:40 AM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
Dragonage2ftw said:

No one cares if you think your small group of 20 people is fine with the translation or not. This isn't faithful nor fits the situation or character.

I doubt asking for a patch to install the lost content means making fun of the anti-censorship group.

Yes, indeed, the ones that are against censorship are the most popular, thanks for agreeing with me.

@megahobbit

And you are wrong.

E.g. one source to dismiss your assertion https://www.aclu.org/what-censorship

Yeah, no.

That line is faithful, and it fits the character.

Just because it isn't exactly translated doesn't mean that it isn't faithful.

Feb 14, 2016 6:47 AM

Apr 2012
@dragonage2ftw
That line is faithful as shit, in your mind.

Too bad the Japanese from which it was "localized" says otherwise.

And yes, just because it isn't exactly translated, it really does mean it isn't faithful. She never growls like a retard in that situation which was meant to be dramatic yet still heart warming.

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 6:55 AM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
@dragonage2ftw
That line is faithful as shit, in your mind.

Too bad the Japanese from which it was "localized" says otherwise.

And yes, just because it isn't exactly translated, it really does mean it isn't faithful. She never growls like a retard in that situation which was meant to be dramatic yet still heart warming.

Yeah, how dare a child do something childlike!

It's ALMOST as bad as the lack of consistency between titles!

http://i.imgur.com/qfMK7ER.png

/sarcasm.

Feb 14, 2016 7:18 AM

Apr 2012
@Dragonage2ftw

You have no idea what you're talking about. To fit a stereotype you've made up does not mean that it fits the character.

She wasn't meant to be a dumb retarded kid in the Japanese version, especially not in that scene. This is the AFTER SCENE of a succeeded paralogue. Before that, to give you some context since you have no idea, she was being kidnapped.

Yes, Kanna is waiting for her father to pick her up, only to find herself surrounded by kidnappers, which get to do jack shit, since Kamui steps in and tells her everything's going to be ok, that she should hide, even if he's clearly overwhelmed by the numbers, this is plot wise.

She disobeyed orders and transforms into a dragon out of fear and anger at this scene. What you have to do is calm her down by killing every enemy unit basically.

Finally, the scene right before this dialogue happens, when you succeed and Kamui breaks the truth to her kid about her identity and also tells her that he's going to leave her home, to which Kanna disagrees because she fears for her father's safety.

Kamui agrees to this and she says she's really happy to be with her father for more than those mere moments (which is the scene at hand).

There is no growling, there is no "This kid is being outrageous because it's a kid.", nothing of the sorts. The meme is an addition by Amerintendon't.

That fucking addition did nothing but change the tone of the scene, what meant to be a dramatic but heartwarming moment is now a joke. It changes her character completely too. I'm sure you're all for coloring book narratives and dumb-downed characters and all, but not everyone has that mentality, surely not anyone that isn't willfully ignorant.

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 7:39 AM

Sep 2011
Slightly off topic but I found this a couple of days ago;

Reminder that Atlus localization team wont be giving us the glorious original dub for this game.
Feb 14, 2016 7:45 AM

Apr 2012
What game was it exactly? Can't be asked to Google. @Fullmetal89

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 7:48 AM

Sep 2011
Immahnoob said:

That is the cast of Persona 5 with the voice actors next to the characters.
Feb 14, 2016 7:55 AM

Apr 2012
Fullmetal89 said:
Immahnoob said:

Oh lol, I didn't actually notice.

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 8:20 AM

Jan 2013
Fullmetal89 said:
Immahnoob said:

Oh shit someone has Char's voice? Game of the year
Feb 14, 2016 8:55 AM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
@Dragonage2ftw

You have no idea what you're talking about. To fit a stereotype you've made up does not mean that it fits the character.

She wasn't meant to be a dumb retarded kid in the Japanese version, especially not in that scene. This is the AFTER SCENE of a succeeded paralogue. Before that, to give you some context since you have no idea, she was being kidnapped.

Yes, Kanna is waiting for her father to pick her up, only to find herself surrounded by kidnappers, which get to do jack shit, since Kamui steps in and tells her everything's going to be ok, that she should hide, even if he's clearly overwhelmed by the numbers, this is plot wise.

She disobeyed orders and transforms into a dragon out of fear and anger at this scene. What you have to do is calm her down by killing every enemy unit basically.

Finally, the scene right before this dialogue happens, when you succeed and Kamui breaks the truth to her kid about her identity and also tells her that he's going to leave her home, to which Kanna disagrees because she fears for her father's safety.

Kamui agrees to this and she says she's really happy to be with her father for more than those mere moments (which is the scene at hand).

There is no growling, there is no "This kid is being outrageous because it's a kid.", nothing of the sorts. The meme is an addition by Amerintendon't.

That fucking addition did nothing but change the tone of the scene, what meant to be a dramatic but heartwarming moment is now a joke. It changes her character completely too. I'm sure you're all for coloring book narratives and dumb-downed characters and all, but not everyone has that mentality, surely not anyone that isn't willfully ignorant.

Yeah, no.

This doesn't change anything.

This shows that she's happy to be closer to her dad, both literally and talent wise.

I don't really think that you can call her a dumb kid in the American version, seeing that in the Japanese version, she didn't realize what was going on, while in the American version, she immediately recognizes that the Faceless are there to hurt her, and she doesn't run because she thinks that they'll do something bad to someone else if she runs.

Feb 14, 2016 9:31 AM

Apr 2012
@Kokuoh

You still have to hack your 3DS for that. The 3DS is region locked.

@Dragonage2ftw

So there's no difference between:

"HEY DAD, IM A COMPLETE RETARD HURR, I LOVE YOU TOO." which is completely out of context.

And

"HEY DAD, IM HAPPY TO BE WITH YOU." in the context that she's really happy to be accepted by the father she loves as an equal.

I think we're done here, you're willfully ignorant, you can't be more wrong than this.

I'm not entirely sure you're talking about the same scene either, since in the Japanese version she knows exactly what is going on, that's what pushes her to become an enraged dragon, what she doesn't know is that she is a dragon. And who she wants to protect is her father.

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2012
Kokuoh said:
Immahnoob said:
@Kokuoh

The user I quoted spoke about pirating the game, so I assumed he had already done that. But yeah, true that.
True, just wanted to say that so people don't go on and get the Japanese version and find out it's impossible to play.

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 10:00 AM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
@Kokuoh

@Dragonage2ftw

So there's no difference between:

"HEY DAD, IM A COMPLETE RETARD HURR, I LOVE YOU TOO." which is completely out of context.

And

"HEY DAD, IM HAPPY TO BE WITH YOU." in the context that she's really happy to be accepted by the father she loves as an equal.

I think we're done here, you're willfully ignorant, you can't be more wrong than this.

I'm not entirely sure you're talking about the same scene either, since in the Japanese version she knows exactly what is going on, that's what pushes her to become an enraged dragon, what she doesn't know is that she is a dragon. And who she wants to protect is her father.

I was talking about before Corrin arrived. She had no clue that these obviously evil monsters were there to hurt her in the Japanese version.
https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4599p3/differences_between_the_localization_and/

Again, I'm still failing to see how a child talking like a child instead of a miniature adult ruins the tone of that scene.

Feb 14, 2016 10:05 AM

Apr 2012
@Dragonage2ftw

Probably because that's not how Kana talks? That's not her actual character?

You keep on saying it "fits her", no, it doesn't, it fits YOUR perception of what Kana is ("she's a child so she should talk the way I see fit for a child"), not what the ORIGINAL Kana is (made by the actual writers of the game on how THE character that is ALSO a child acts).

Autocrat said:
Feb 14, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2014
Immahnoob said:
@Dragonage2ftw

Probably because that's not how Kana talks? That's not her actual character?

You keep on saying it "fits her", no, it doesn't, it fits YOUR perception of what Kana is ("she's a child so she should talk the way I see fit for a child"), not what the ORIGINAL Kana is (made by the actual writers of the game on how THE character that is ALSO a child acts).

You mean, that's not how the horribly bland fanslation makes her talk, right?

Feb 14, 2016 10:08 AM

Apr 2012
@Dragonage2ftw

No, I mean that's not how the Japanese version makes her talk.

Autocrat said:
Pages (27) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Nvidia CEO: "We can't do computer graphics anymore without artificial intelligence"

deg - Sep 16

15 by EmiliaHoarfrost »»
2 minutes ago

» California’s new law forces digital stores to admit you’re just licensing content, not buying it

deg - 10 hours ago

5 by Theo1899 »»
1 hour ago

» Overwatch 2 x My Hero Academia | Collaboration Trailer

Old_School_Akira - 9 hours ago

3 by RobertsahDHDA »»
3 hours ago

» Minecraft???

_spoon_ - Nov 21, 2021

24 by VampireLord1024 »»
8 hours ago

» Microsoft Office 2013+ on Linux

Agamendon - Jan 14, 2022

13 by RudeRedis »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.