Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 8, 2013 11:09 AM
Feb 2012
A friend of mine recommended me this show and said that it's rather unique in its execution. After finishing the first episode, I can say that it is unique for me personally. NGE being a '95 anime is a first for me (not counting my childhood shows) so the quality threw me off and it will probably take some time to get used to it, I suppose.
I won't marathon it, that much is sure, but instead watch it slowly.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jun 10, 2013 7:27 AM

Aug 2012
I like the animation. One thing that bothers me is that Shinji and apparently some others are the only ones who can pilot the mechas. Why the heck would you design a huge mecha and have that condition?
Jun 26, 2013 7:31 PM

Dec 2012
Starting this anime after hearing that it is a very good old anime. Not a bad first impression.
Jul 3, 2013 2:31 PM

Nov 2011
Oh no! I'm taking a break from the Gundam franchise to try another popular mecha series (this is close enough, right?), and I still can't escape Amuro Ray as a protagonist! This one even has an annoying, weak female captain with purple hair that's incapable of Brightslapping Shinji into a man of destiny. What to do!

I really like the opening and animation. I just like the old anime feel they have.

I'm not a fan of the monster design so far. "Angels"?
Aug 7, 2013 9:17 AM

Mar 2013
I think it was the best characterization for sinji, i mean noone would have jumped straight on the EVA with no experience at all... I really thought he would let that other chick fight in his place.
Aug 10, 2013 7:47 AM

Oct 2009
Excited to see what the hype is about.
Sep 2, 2013 10:09 PM

Sep 2011
Well that sure was a fked up situation to be thrown in, but I guess there was no other choice.

I'm also watching this because of all the hype Ive heard, so lets see what this anime has to offer! (really stepping out of my comfort zone here)
Dec 1, 2013 4:39 PM
Mar 2010
Been wanting to watch this for a while as it's a classic and the themes from the synopsis sound like they'd fit with stuff I'd like. I enjoyed the episode, the animation actually held up relatively well I thought compared to other 'old' shows I've seen.
Dec 2, 2013 4:04 PM
Sep 2013
LC_Mestre1 said:
Disliked that first episode ;(
Hopefully the things get better and this main character change his sick personality.

lol

I've got bad new for you.
Dec 9, 2013 9:33 PM

Aug 2007
Well...
I'm embarrassed to say I've been meaning to watch this series for a good ten years now.
I just never got around to it.

I personally liked the first episode pretty well. I'm very curious how things will progress since I've been recommended this series from quite a lot of people.

I was debating on waiting another year just so the years would match, but ah well. Close enough.

Dec 16, 2013 8:59 AM

Dec 2012
if this is as bad as Shinji's whining gets, I think I'm going to be okay. in fact, it probably wouldn't even bother me if his VA didn't make him sound like such a pussy.
Dec 24, 2013 6:37 PM

Jun 2012
I watched the first episode twice before and this time I was able to watch it all the way. The last two times I got sooo annoyed at Shinji's pissy attitude and just stopped watching, but now, I wasn't as annoyed. Maybe I've been desensitized to it after watching twice already. Still, I hate cowardly characters like him, but this was actually quite enjoyable.
Dec 30, 2013 7:48 PM

Mar 2012
Shinji didn't seem that annoying, he was just scared, who wouldn't be. Thought that I'd watch this after finding out how boring Pacific Rim was.
Interesting first episode.
Jan 17, 2014 6:43 AM

Aug 2013
This is some seriously overdue watching.
Feb 13, 2014 5:58 PM

Oct 2013
the contrst of the EDs jazz to the tense launch scene. so weird
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 17, 2014 11:28 PM

Aug 2013
I never got to finish this series, bout time I did.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 7, 2014 2:21 AM
Apr 2013
This episode lacks explanations. The whole scenario is just not plausible. I hope things get better.
Mar 12, 2014 12:05 AM

Dec 2012
And so it finally begins.

Lycan said:
Well...
I'm embarrassed to say I've been meaning to watch this series for a good ten years now.
I just never got around to it.

I personally liked the first episode pretty well. I'm very curious how things will progress since I've been recommended this series from quite a lot of people.

I was debating on waiting another year just so the years would match, but ah well. Close enough.

Pretty much my story word for word. I've known about this series since 2004 and people have repeatedly said it's a must watch, but it's taken until now to finally get to it. When I saw the year I thought I should wait too, but maybe it'll give a possibility of something to look forward to next year. "Will it really happen?"

Fairly standard boy meets mech episode. Heard this is supposed to be a philosophical mind boggler so I'll do my best to keep away from mental cruise control. All I ever hear about Shinji is him being an obnoxious pussy, but so far he's reacted like any normal person would and the people, although desperate, are placing a tremendous weight on him.
Mar 13, 2014 5:07 PM

Jul 2012
I heard Shinji was an annoying character but this first episode makes him really likable. :O Anyway, solid episode. Looking forward to this ride.
May 2, 2014 5:19 AM

Jun 2013
This was pretty good for a first episode. I've heard Shinji is supposed to be a really whiny unlikable character, but he doesn't really bother me at all. I think I'm really going to like this anime. Lots of great action sequences, and for an anime from the 90s, it's animation is about on par with DBZ, maybe better. Unlike every other anime I've put on hold from losing interest, I will keep watching this one to see how much better it gets!
May 5, 2014 1:04 PM

Jan 2014
Well, i think this episode was OK, but really nothing special to be praised...
May 20, 2014 4:50 AM
Jan 2012
Alright, so I finally decided to watch this series. I know it since I was a kid, but never felt like renting the VHs back in the day.

Anyway, interesting first episode. I think I get why people hate Shinji so much, but I liked how he faced his fear and decided to pilot the Eva by the end of the episode. So far he is a likable character to me. So, was Rei injured like that because of piloting an Eva? Will Shinji be badly injured after piloting the Eva, too?

Also, the anime is BEAUTIFUL. I can't believe it was made in the 90s. It looks better than a lot of crap made nowadays. Lastly, I have listened the bossa nova-ish ending music somewhere before, I just can't remember where.
Jun 4, 2014 4:19 AM

Jul 2012
god sake MC is annoying
Jun 16, 2014 9:52 PM

Aug 2013
millefeui said:

Also, the anime is BEAUTIFUL. I can't believe it was made in the 90s. It looks better than a lot of crap made nowadays. Lastly, I have listened the bossa nova-ish ending music somewhere before, I just can't remember where.

THANK YOU. So far I really love the art overall. Granted, I did just finish watching Shoujo Kakumei Utena so I might be used to the 90's style. But generally, its just a different aesthetic that people will have to get used too. Its like classic books. The language may change, but the story is still beautiful!

So, it seems that I, just like everyone else here watching this, have been putting this anime off for quite some time. Well its time to begin. I'm hoping I'll be able to blast through all of this show this summer so I can cross it off of my list.

Currently I'm really digging the post-apocalyptic plot and the feel of the setting. Can't wait for more.
Jul 23, 2014 1:16 AM

Aug 2009
Finally getting around to watching this. Took a few years. The first episode was very interesting. The art work doesn't bother me much I consider it pretty good for the time in which it came out. I like the ending theme, its in English and I thought that was cool.
I'm excited to go on this Evangelion journey! Let's Go!

Aug 24, 2014 6:35 PM

Dec 2012
Twas okay
Sep 15, 2014 12:19 PM

Feb 2013
I finally managed to start this series. I've been meaning to watch it for 2 years but it always slips my mind. lool
It looks promising. I need to watch out for those "deep philosophical ideas" though. xD

I was expecting Shinji to be a pussy but I got disappointed. lol
He eventually stepped up to the challenge. Looks like nobody can beat Yukki from Mirai Nikki.
But then again, this is just the first episode....

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Oct 7, 2014 1:36 PM

Jan 2013
I didnt like this episode and Shinji is getting on my nerves already.
Nov 17, 2014 7:43 AM

Aug 2014
Shinji isn't a pussy he is just a kid (he even accepted to pilot the damn thing) if anyone wants to see a whiny bitch see Yukiteru Amane(Mirai Nikki) or if anyone wants to see a brain dead idiotic whiny bitch see Shirou Emiya (Fate Stay Night).
Dec 23, 2014 1:21 PM

Aug 2014
I really liked the part where the robot protected Shinji. That was cool. Nice episode, hope it gets even better.
Dec 28, 2014 6:52 AM

Dec 2012
Well not much to say, it was just the first episode and the beginning was a bit weird. They didn´t even tell him why nobody else couldn´t operate the evangelion. On the other hand that Rei girl or what she was called was really cool.
Jan 13, 2015 3:53 AM

Dec 2013
Well now that I've seen everything mainstream modern anime has to offer I think looking at some oldies wouldn't be a bad idea. Decent start, I'll hope to pick up some pace in time to join everyone with the movie series xD
Jan 18, 2015 5:16 PM

Aug 2013
Great first episode! I'm glad Shinji got his shit together... kinda.
Rei looks like an interesing character! (I love the color of her hair UGH)♥
Can't wait to see what is next!!!
Jan 22, 2015 8:14 PM

May 2014
Harmonical said:
I really liked the part where the robot protected Shinji. That was cool. Nice episode, hope it gets even better.

It's not a robot... DUH! (Don't matter, the same thing happened to me the first time I watched it. You, as well as I, came to Evangelion with all this preconceibd notions and informations about mecha and young MC that makes the show all the more confusing. It would be better to wath the show with a clean mind)
Jan 24, 2015 9:49 PM

Nov 2012
For me, I think Shinji is actually the most interesting character from this episode alone. If this series truly is something magnificent, then I hope it lives up to its expectation.
Jan 26, 2015 10:27 PM

May 2013
And so it begins. I really should have already watched this show, just been putting it off for so long. Decent episode, hope Shinji's character develops to into more of a less-poofter character. Please do not remain the same throughout the entire series :L
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Feb 15, 2015 10:03 AM

Oct 2013
Am I supposed to have a thorough understanding of what's going? 'Cause I don't. O_o

It was good, but... confusing. Oh well, mecha anime always throw you right into the chaos from the very first episode and due to the chaotic nature take a few episodes to get into. The way this began reminded me a fair bit of Code Geass, actually; hopefully I enjoy it even more!

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Feb 22, 2015 7:22 PM

Oct 2013
Misato looks to be pretty cool, can't wait to see more from her and shinji.
A really great start for the show if you ask me, loved this first episode.

Mar 7, 2015 5:57 PM

Jul 2012
Mar 23, 2015 7:07 AM

Feb 2015
I'm rewatching NGE to understand everything. The first episode has a clue too. Around 2:40-2:50, Rei appears for a moment though she is supposed to be in hospital. There is a theory about it but i don't want to spoil it much for first timers.
Mar 23, 2015 11:13 PM

Apr 2014
second time round. let's do this again (ノ・ェ・)ノ

existentialist-j said:
I'm rewatching NGE to understand everything.

^
Apr 24, 2015 7:50 AM
Nov 2014
I LOVED the OP. Episode was OKAY nothing special or amazing yet.

DAT preview, cannot wait for that fan service :P
Apr 24, 2015 7:52 AM

Jun 2014
Love the opening and the episode did not make me want to watch more. But I will later.
Apr 24, 2015 8:43 PM

Mar 2013
RobertFjall said:
Love the opening and the episode did not make me want to watch more. But I will later.

Keep watching it.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Apr 25, 2015 9:18 PM

Sep 2014
Now getting into the series proper. Ep 1 was a good intro.

Pros:
Dialogue- Enough info is given to know what the main plot is and we get into the charas. a bit through their interaction.

Animation-It was well drawn but felt like they skipped a small frame or two.

Character-Everyone was pretty good in their role. I can see why people would dislike Shinji but he's fine to me. Though if it were me, I'd be a bit more angry.

4/5. Pretty good opener and a great tease for the next.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
May 16, 2015 6:08 PM

Oct 2013
Wow... this episode has so much more depth rewatching it after knowing how the plot unfolds and knowing (most of) the details of the Evangelion universe. I think I enjoyed it a lot more now than when I first watched the series.

It's understandable why everyone sees this as a standard mecha opener; I felt that when I first watched it as well. It feels like much more than that now.

existentialist-j said:

Same story. I didn't intend to rewatch it now, but I randomly opened the first episode just to hear the OP again and was like, "Screw it, I'll keep watching."
ZadionMay 16, 2015 6:33 PM

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
May 28, 2015 4:39 AM

Jan 2013
Zadion said:
Wow... this episode has so much more depth rewatching it after knowing how the plot unfolds and knowing (most of) the details of the Evangelion universe. I think I enjoyed it a lot more now than when I first watched the series.

It's understandable why everyone sees this as a standard mecha opener; I felt that when I first watched it as well. It feels like much more than that now.

existentialist-j said:

Same story. I didn't intend to rewatch it now, but I randomly opened the first episode just to hear the OP again and was like, "Screw it, I'll keep watching."

Just like you and many others, rewatching it after 2 years.
Definitely getting a better vibe from back then, knowing what's going on etc.
Jul 9, 2015 8:37 AM

Jan 2014
Eva looks cool. I like purple. Pink would be better though :D
I like Shinji's screams and cries. Aww, poor booy ;-;
Jul 25, 2015 11:08 PM

May 2015
heard the dub gets better

Aug 3, 2015 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
Episode 1 was a really good into and while Shinji is a little annoying i think I would have reacted the same way to being told I have to go pilot a giant Eva and save the world.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

274 by menacce »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

192 by menacce »»
Sep 24, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

207 by menacce »»
Sep 24, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

221 by Pakutto »»
Sep 24, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

219 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.