Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Nov 7, 2014 9:36 AM

Mar 2013
notsomacho said:

The show fell apart somewhat around the 20-ish? mark when they started dumping enormous amounts of dialogue and information on us. The conspiracy isn't that interesting and I don't like how they're handling the psychological elements: I preferred watching Shinji slowly deal with the burdens of fighting a robot and having crewmates.

You didn't like the Rei episodes that much due to not being much of a fan of Rei in whole?
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Dec 9, 2014 4:17 PM

Nov 2013
I thought it was a fantastic ending... it certainly wasn't the one I was expecting considering the build up throughout the series though. It felt like they ran out of story and didn't know how to tie up their series with regards to NERV/SEELE and such so they just did a major character exploration for the final two episodes to bring a satisfying finish to the emotional journey they've all went through.

I think this series is definitely worth a rewatch at some point now I know how it turns out. The paper sequence with the watercoloured characters and simple pen drawings was surprisingly really effective and was in harmony with the really raw realisation Shinji has. No holds barred, even if it was most likely the result of budget.

I'm genuinely satisfied with the series. Some of the early episodes, especially around the 8-13 area were very hit or miss but aside from those, great experience c:
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 18, 2014 12:40 AM

Oct 2013
O-FUCKING-ME-DE-TOU!
UnoPuntoCincoDec 18, 2014 12:44 AM
Jan 6, 2015 1:38 PM

Jan 2013
This is pure gold, I can't express myself in words. The story officially ended at episode 24 I believe, the last two are just heavey psychologia of Shinji. But, this ending in a pure gold way, it's hilarious, intriguing, good, terrible.. = GOLD.

Oh, and congratulations to everyone who managed to get past these two episodes sane. CONGRATULATIONS!
Jan 6, 2015 1:39 PM

May 2014
The clapping part was certainly hilarious. I dont think I was normal after it.
I've been here way too long...
Jan 13, 2015 1:19 PM

Dec 2012
Well, the first thing that crossed my mind after this episode was that I was expecting something mere than being worthy of living in this world.

About the part with "another world". I think it was supposed to mean not something like another dimension in which Shinji would have his normal parents and so on, but the "world" in the minds of some other people who think that he lives this way. On the other hand, from what was in the anime, I had the feeling like it was about paralel dimensions or spaces.

My option about it is that it would be really awesome if the "another world" was the real world and all the story was his dream and it was just going to happen to him.

My view on the whole episode is that there were really very interesting parts(e.g. the part in the free world with no limitations) for me as well as these that disappointed me a lot, and the same goes for the whole anime.
Feb 13, 2015 9:46 AM
Jan 2015
Vexper said:
I thought it was a fantastic ending... it certainly wasn't the one I was expecting considering the build up throughout the series though. It felt like they ran out of story and didn't know how to tie up their series with regards to NERV/SEELE
From what I've heard and the way things look, it seems like they didn't have enough of a budget to end the story the way they wanted to. You can see some of their attempts to save money in places like where Kuwaro or whatever his name was died. Shinji held him for a full minute. The elevator ride between Rei and Asuka is another place.

I feel like they did a really good job at making their budgeting attempts expand on their characters, however. That elevator ride did a great job at depicting the tension between Rei and Asuka.
Feb 14, 2015 2:45 PM
Dec 2013
trash ending tried to go all deep (for budget reasons apparently) but failed horribly

The series until ep 25 was pretty good nothing special as many claim
but still entertaining the last two episodes though were pure garbage

can't believe people are defending this shit and coming with the classic its 2deep4you fanboys

overall the plot was very interesting (angels, adam, lilith, second impact, etc.) and intriguing but sadly they rather focused on the characters (which were way too whiney)

Shinji was ok at times but at others just a whiney brat, asuka was just annoying throughout, Kaworu appeared out of nowhere and then died in the same episode etc.

I liked Katsuragi and Rei 2 though and Commander Ikari was very interesting

FuckMAl4132Feb 14, 2015 7:05 PM
Feb 16, 2015 2:24 PM

Jun 2013
Journey_95 said:
trash ending tried to go all deep (for budget reasons apparently) but failed horribly

The series until ep 25 was pretty good nothing special as many claim
but still entertaining the last two episodes though were pure garbage

can't believe people are defending this shit and coming with the classic its 2deep4you fanboys

overall the plot was very interesting (angels, adam, lilith, second impact, etc.) and intriguing but sadly they rather focused on the characters (which were way too whiney)

Shinji was ok at times but at others just a whiney brat, asuka was just annoying throughout, Kaworu appeared out of nowhere and then died in the same episode etc.

I liked Katsuragi and Rei 2 though and Commander Ikari was very interesting

Yet another victim.

Feb 25, 2015 8:47 AM

Oct 2013
what the fuck man...

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 10, 2015 3:37 AM
Jan 2013
iAmZiro said:
''Understanding 100% of anything is impossible. That’s why we spend all our lives
trying to understand the thinking of others. That’s what makes life so interesting.''

-Kaji Ryoji, a quote that I think fits in perfectly for the ending.

Another masterpiece to be added to the collection. 99% of the times when I start watching a show I'm hyped for I
find myself being disappointed with something but not with NGE funny enough, also never been a huge fan of old
aired shows but man I loved watching this and I'll be sure to rewatch it in the future.

About the last two episodes, you can see they started to struggle with their budget hehe, that said I
may be one of the few but I still enjoyed it, I have a special place for stories that start to make me think
twice after a while.

Any anime can spam any quote,

But there is no story element in evangelion to back it up.

This scene had one important flaw, if he had all the answers inside of him,why was it a problem in the first place?

Mar 10, 2015 8:02 PM

Nov 2012
Uhh, ummm... definitely not the ending I expected! It's like a fast forward button to the end of the series. I guess I'll move on to the movie series.
Mar 26, 2015 2:59 PM

Feb 2015
They gave good arguments about individuality vs. human instrumentality project. I'm glad that they lowered the budget which ultimately led to EoE.
Apr 5, 2015 3:13 PM

Jun 2012
Well, it was definitely an interesting ride... I hope the movie will tie up the story.

8/10

I'll probably rewatch 1.0 and 2.0 soon since I watched them last summer before this.
N☆ 
Apr 17, 2015 6:32 AM
Apr 2015
very overrated anime in my opinion
unlikable characters, a convoluted plot and a terrible ending

It was your typical monster of the week show until they started to go crazy and 2deep4me just so this anime is special

definitely not a revolutionary anime or even a masterpiece
Apr 28, 2015 2:00 PM

Feb 2015
Congratulations!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2015 12:34 PM

Nov 2013
FanEu said:
very overrated anime in my opinion
unlikable characters, a convoluted plot and a terrible ending

It was your typical monster of the week show until they started to go crazy and 2deep4me just so this anime is special

definitely not a revolutionary anime or even a masterpiece

This guy gets it, just because it's confusing doesn't mean it's deep, it means Anno is fucking with you while he laughs all the way to the bank. Ugh, I really want to write a review on just why this series deserves a 1 from me, but I don't feel like getting flamed by a bunch of pseudo-intellectual circlejerkers who think "OMG best anime ever, you just don't get it, 2deep4u" bullshit. I absolutely get it. The symbolism is a fucking joke. There is no meaning at all to this series. Absolutely none whatsoever. Perhaps if it had a storyline that actually made sense when you thought about it like with RahXephon or Eureka Seven instead of being confusing just because it can be, I'd be a little nicer to it
cassisarobotApr 29, 2015 12:46 PM
Apr 30, 2015 2:35 PM
Nov 2014
It wasn't a boring watch or bad but the series really went into shit in the last two episodes for me and I don't like any of the characters from the cast. I found most of them to be very obnoxious, 4/10.
VirginAmirulOct 14, 2015 6:03 AM
Apr 30, 2015 3:08 PM
Oct 2011
BruceLad said:
It was a quality watch but the last two episodes are deep pretentious shit 7/10.
The problem withe Evangelion in my mind, is that it is a case of the whole being less then the sum of its parts. If great ideas but did not really tie them together well.
Jun 1, 2015 2:28 PM

Jan 2013
I actually really enjoyed the series after rewatching it.
After knowing more about the motives, the message behind the show ... it's a great watch.

I actually didnt mind the final 2 episodes, in fact even though it was kind of rushed the message was clear.

9/10
PrOxAntoJun 2, 2015 2:27 AM
Jun 7, 2015 5:04 PM

Aug 2012
That could be the most confusing ending I've seen so far. I wanted to see what happens with the Evas and all that actiony stuff. I'll just have to watch the movies.
Really liked the scene where Shinji is living as a normal student in normal situations. It's nice to see a different and happier Shinji. =3
Overall for this series, 8/10
Jun 16, 2015 7:02 PM

Apr 2013
I really don't know what to think… Guess I'll have to watch the movie like everyone's saying.
Jul 5, 2015 7:54 PM

Dec 2011
Wow, they really did run out of budget.
Jul 8, 2015 8:50 PM

Sep 2014
Congratulations. Finale ep 26.

Plot-Shinji's final psych evaluation happens as he discovers himself, his perspective, and that it is his choice on how he lives his life. He can be happy. He can love himself and others. He can have an AU life where Asuka is the childhood friends, his parents are happy and beside him, he can talk normally with the boys and appreciate girls.

It is his choice.

And I must say it was my choice to watch this series and enjoy it as much as I did. Granted the last two eps were caused by a gone budget, the message was still loud and clear. I'd like to consider them OVAs that happened during 3rd Impact(EoE) in Shinji's head and is the true reason he stopped 3I and gave humanity the chance to come back from Instrumentality.

So I loved this show. It was funny, mind bending, sad, actiony, and all around fun. Even in the dark times, and in the hurt and pain, I've come to add this as one of my favorite anime ever.

5/5 for a 10/10 series.

In the words of Gainax(Anno and co): Take care of yourself.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jul 12, 2015 10:48 AM

Dec 2009
So many unanswered questions and a meditation on existence & choice at the end.
Such junk...
Jul 12, 2015 4:03 PM

Jan 2014
This was so beautiful
and touching
and relatable
and very easy to watch
because it was very easy to feel it.
I loved it <3
Jul 18, 2015 1:24 PM

Apr 2015
I actually loved these last two episodes, on their own. I really enjoyed the in-depth look at the characters' minds, and emotional states. There's really no conclusion, or resolution, though, so it's pretty disappointing as a series finale. But we have EoE so it's okay.

Also, am I the only one who laughed at that last congratulation scene? Everybody's just like, Congrats, Shinji, you finally fuckin did it.
Jul 23, 2015 3:15 PM

Nov 2014
4/5 for the episode for being completely based.

7/10 for the series.
Sep 21, 2015 10:11 AM

Dec 2014
[i never read the manga or watched the other movies so i don't know what the ending is supposed to be but]

episode 25 wasn't needed, it was like a re-cap / filler

i like episode 26, it was interesting and philosophical
i think the anime tries to take its own adaptations on why God created humans
> like how the anime talks about the creation of identity can only take form from two lenses (observer) and (self).
I think it hints on the creation of man because of how God needed something to identify Himself with

i felt like they could have used episode 25 and 26 to explain what happens to explain SEELE more in-depth and what happens to Commander Ikari and NERV. They also need to explain what the heck happened / caused 1st and 2nd impact. I know the series already hints it was man created, but i still wan't to know how and why those events happened, since its pretty much a big event that affected like all the main/side character's backstories. Explaining 1st and 2nd impact would also explain the Dead Seal Scrolls and Angels too probably.

This anime has a lot of themes tied to Christianity. . .
-13 Angels: Are there 13 angels because of their relationship to the thirteen things that defile a person? (mentioned by Jesus), which all things happen in the anime.
adulteries, fornications, evil thoughts, murders, covetousness, thefts, wickedness, licentiousness, guile, blasphemy, foolishness, pride and an evil eye (Mark 7:20 - 23). - the only thing not apparent is Theft, but i think if i re-watched Eva i could probably find that theme happening at one point.
-How the 1st angel ADAM was on a cross, with the Spear of Longinus
-The creation and power of God ("Man can only create things from something, God creates something from nothing " - Misato
- The obvious one is Adam and Eve.
How Eva's are created from ADAM (1st angel)
Also I think in the series they hint that all Evangelion's are female, I think the 13th Angel calls Eva II a she, and also Commander Ikari calls Eva 1 Yui, also you can see Shinji's mom bound to Eva I in an episode.
There's so much more but those are the most apparent ones.

i also kind of noticed how in the end they used really basic drawings and actually used real life photos in some slides o.O

the last two episodes felt more like a slide -show than an anime xD
they just kept flasing words and pictures etc, it felt like they ran out of money to make a better ending @_@

i did enjoy the later half of episode 26 though, starting from how they talked about Freedom and how you lose freedom each time you gain something to enjoy in.

Like how Shinji loses the Freedom to just float around and feel Free by being bound to the floor. But he gains the pleasures of being able to walk, run and lie down.

I feel like they need something like a FMA: Brotherhood remake to redeem themselves, they definitely need a lot more episodes to explain more about what Adam is, what the Spear of Longinus is, and why it was on the white thingy (i think they said that wasn't the real ADAM, not sure :p)
and that crazy bacteria thing growing on Commander Ikari's hand

Also I think they hint that Yui got fused with Eva Unit 01, that's why Ikari wants to protect it so much.
I wouldn't re-watch this, (i never re-watch anime unless I've started a series before but never finished it and forgot what happened in the beginning)

but if they remade this series like a FMA:brotherhood kind of thing, i would rematch this.
i'm wondering if that's what the 4.0 movie series is about (i never watched the movies yet)
Sep 21, 2015 11:12 AM

Aug 2015
The last 2 episodes were extremely disappointing; they left a sore taste in my mouth.
Oct 15, 2015 12:02 PM

Dec 2012
Trash. Wasted my time

Oct 24, 2015 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
CONGRATS SHINJI
Oct 25, 2015 11:03 AM

Oct 2015
i prefer the ending of end of evangelion rather than the tv series.
Nov 1, 2015 2:08 AM

Jun 2013
Oh my god wtf! XD

I'm so happy I've finally gotten to this ending. It does actually does fit in a way, though. As someone else said, episodes 1-24 were filler, 25-26 are NGE.

Okay, now lets get serious.

* opens "Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_The_End_of_Evangelion.mkv" *
Nov 1, 2015 2:36 PM

May 2015
Finished a rewatch. I managed to stay awake during this rewatch.
Nov 7, 2015 1:03 AM

Apr 2014
The part near the end where Shinji realizes that the perception of himself is only a matter of perspective and a state of mind that can be changed and then his proclamation that he can learn to love himself and that he can have greater value was very touching.

It was evident early on that this show is more of an examination into human nature and philosophy with the focus on the characters rather than the overall plot itself. However, the sudden escalation of the plot and then subsequent lack of attention to it created a rather disappointing feeling, but at least End of Evangelion was created to resolve that issue from what I've heard.

The characters were very entertaining to observe throughout their development, backstory, dealing with their struggles, and interaction with other types of personalities, however I don't feel much attachment to any of them. It was also great witnessing how each person dealt with what was at heart the same issue in different ways, I did find the main cast quite realistic overall though, and even Asuka's tsundere tendencies felt natural. Rei acted the most unnatural, but that was because she herself wasn't actually human. Shinji's development was paced well and very visible. He progressed from being completely broken to arrogant, back down to low self-esteem, and then the realization that allowed him to move forward and see value inherent within himself for the long term.

The plot on the other hand, seemed more akin to a stage that provided the setting and context on which the character examination and philosophical ideas could take place rather than being the focus of the show. It was given varying degrees of attention and I wasn't fond of its pacing and it's lack of resolution. The background behind the plot and story setting had more than enough material from which to derive an epic story from, but I felt that the potential was missed.

Overall, the show was a good watch and was a blast to overanalyze in terms of the characters, the symbolic references, and the philosophical messages. I just wish that the plot had been much better paced, more coherent, and contained more substance with which to complement those aspects.

Ratings:

Episodes 1-7: 8/10
Episodes 8-16: 7/10
Episodes 19-24: 8/10
Episodes 25-26: 6/10

EDIT: End of Evangelion is a required watch in order to witness the actual events that occurred at the story's conclusion outside of Shinji's mind.

End of Evangelion Rating: 9/10

Overall Rating: 8/10
ZeroDragonNov 7, 2015 4:41 PM
Nov 9, 2015 6:55 AM

Jan 2015
25 and 26th episodes was pointless....
Nov 22, 2015 12:20 PM

Feb 2013
Gonna be honest, I really did not enjoy these last 2 episodes. This was not a good way to end off the season imo, just so many questions left unanswered, with no satisfying conclusion, or any conclusion at all for that matter.

I guess that's why the movie exists, which I'll be watching next.

But, the series as a whole was fantastic, I really did enjoy it for the most part.

Sadly these last 2 episodes really did bring down my score.

8/10.

Here's hoping the movie actually gives us some answers, and provides a satisfying end to this great series.
Nov 22, 2015 1:08 PM
Oct 2011
Shape430 said:
Gonna be honest, I really did not enjoy these last 2 episodes. This was not a good way to end off the season imo, just so many questions left unanswered, with no satisfying conclusion, or any conclusion at all for that matter.

But, the series as a whole was fantastic, I really did enjoy it for the most part.

8/10.

Here's hoping the movie actually gives us some answers, and provides a satisfying end to this great series.

Answers? Debatable. Satisfying end? I would say so.
Dec 7, 2015 1:05 PM

Nov 2012
Shape430 said:

8/10.

^This,though would give the series a 9/10 (depending on how EoE turns out might lower this to an 8/10 afterwords).
Dec 7, 2015 6:45 PM

Oct 2012
I love it.
Absolutely brilliant. These last two episodes, even with a plagued budget, have excellent direction, a great script.
I understand why people would be pissed about these last two episodes, but hey at least there's a movie to look forward to if you didn't like it.
I really tried to put off watching the last episodes because I really didn't want it to end, I didn't want to miss all of those characters, and to be honest during the infamous congratulations I felt fulfilled, but now I feel empty knowing there won't be anymore of the TV series to watch.
Ultimately, NGE is an anime about insecurities, and I really think this episode showcased the brighter side of life.
It's very interesting to see this anime, since you must remember Anno was depressed when he was making NGE, and it really shows through the entire series, particularly through Shinji, but also Asuka, Rei and Misato. This last episode may have been a real turning point in Anno's life, and I think it's quite symbolic because of that.
Dec 17, 2015 1:21 PM

Jan 2015
I'll just pretend that the last two episodes never happened. 2deep4me.
Wanted to give a 10 but...

8/10
Dec 18, 2015 12:38 AM

Jul 2014
i owe my life to this.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 30, 2015 10:24 PM

Oct 2015
We still don't know what EVAS or Angels are. The last two episodes were way to long. Lack of budget is not an excuse to have extremely long pauses without animation. Overrated garbage series just like Eureka 7.
Jan 3, 2016 6:54 PM

Feb 2013
(finished rewatching again)

5/5 "Congratulations!"

This ending is so full of hope. Just let it settle in.

This series remains 10/10 and the 3rd best anime I have ever seen.
Jan 7, 2016 2:09 AM

Jul 2013
How can one says that the 2 final episodes were pointless? I honestly thought it was brilliant (especially ep 25). I always wanted to watch NGE but I procrastinated for so long... everywhere I saw people belittling the final, and now that I finished it I don't get why all the hate.

I'm glad I get to understand the point that Anno wanted to transmit.

10/10

Thank you, Anno.
charlerwJan 7, 2016 2:17 AM
Jan 23, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2010
The final two episodes was the worst, found myself so bored so only that lowers the rating, overall it was good but I really don't get the people that rate this anime as a masterpiece.
Jan 29, 2016 5:52 PM

Jul 2013
You're kidding me right ? Those last 3 episodes were a bit of a letdown.
I was expecting more stuff with Eva 01 but that sure as fuck didn't happen.
Jan 30, 2016 5:40 AM

Oct 2014
Once again I fell for the "ONE OF THE BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME!" trap.
Another case of an overly dedicated community praising an anime to be something it's simply not.
Jan 30, 2016 5:54 AM

Aug 2015
R9K said:
Once again I fell for the "ONE OF THE BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME!" trap.
Another case of an overly dedicated community praising an anime to be something it's simply not.

Can you explain yours self? I want to see your opinion about the show just to understand better.
Pages (17) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

274 by menacce »»
Yesterday, 1:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

192 by menacce »»
Sep 24, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

207 by menacce »»
Sep 24, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

221 by Pakutto »»
Sep 24, 6:20 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

219 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 3:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.