Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Jan 24, 2014 10:59 AM

Dec 2013
I was kinda sad and thought that this was the last episode, at least for a while. Then I remembered there's still the epilogue to watch which cheered me up. Can't wait for Mirai Fukuin get subbed. The series has been one of the specific type of anime I've been searching for and I hope I'll find more anime like this.
Feb 7, 2014 11:01 PM

Dec 2012
After the calm that came with the sixth movie, it was great to get back to the intensity, brutality, and insanity that was seen in the second and fifth. I like how everything was carefully weaved together from the previous movies to bring about the events in this one and there was a sense of satisfying closure that came with this one. Lio was absolutely crazy and it was intriguing to explore the mindset of Shiki and the thought of what it means to kill someone. A 9/10 from me, the ending after the credits was cute, Shiki blushing is just priceless.

Overall this series of movies was an interesting one and I'll definitely have to rewatch them again someday to get a greater understanding of the bigger picture. Top tier animation, art, music, and one of a kind for sure. 8.5/10 for Kara no Kyoukai.
Mar 21, 2014 4:54 PM

Aug 2012
Wow those moments at the end were kinda cringeworthy.
Also wtf are those salivary glands
Apr 30, 2014 3:48 PM

Jul 2010
Am I the only one that disliked Mikaya this last movie? I know what he was trying to do saying she should not kill etc but god damn that was annoying.
Apr 30, 2014 4:22 PM

Sep 2011
10th_man_down said:
Am I the only one that disliked Mikaya this last movie? I know what he was trying to do saying she should not kill etc but god damn that was annoying.

Well to be fair, Shiki wasn't just planning to kill Lio, she was planning to run away afterwards as well, which is why Mikiya wanted her to stop her pursuit even for just a sec (this feels much clearer in the retail subs where it's obvious that Shiki actually agrees with Mikiya but is too stubborn to admit it to him, unlike in the fan subs where it sounds like she just flat-out disagrees with him). In all fairness, Touko, Shiki, and Mikiya altogether could have easily worked on this as they usually did if Shiki wasn't so hell-bent on chasing Lio on her own accord out in the night. Shiki was taking unnecessary risks and venting out because she felt she had been living a lie the entire time (basically she finds out that she was never the killer she thought she was, which meant that she never had to impose unto herself a mentality of a killer in the first place, post-coma anyway). But then that's where the hypocrisy lies now that the truth is out: why bother running around like a killer if she isn't a killer after all and never wanted to be one in the first place?

Mikiya might seem dense but he actually knew what he was doing and his words didn't apply on the entirety of the situation (basically he was saying all those things with a sense of awareness). Mikiya might have initially helped Lio, but when he was rescuing Shiki in the end he practically condemned Lio for his crimes so it's not like he was saying all those things just to protect Lio or anything. Rather his goal was to protect Shiki from doing more unnecessary damage to her own (already unstable) mind. It was only through their developed experience together and Mikiya's stubbornness did Shiki realize what she really wanted for herself this entire time ever since she met Mikiya (i.e. live a normal happy life).

I'd argue that point comes across better in the retail subs though, but I'm not sure which one you might have watched...? Anyway I hope that helped in clearing up some parts for you! ^_^
ronriApr 30, 2014 4:35 PM
Jun 26, 2014 3:11 PM

Jul 2013
Ah damn, I just marathon these KnK movies, all 7 of them, in 3 days. (Need to to take a break in between them.) I was pretty astonished of these films, and how ufotable handle it really well. From it's action thriller moments, supernatural powers, and emotional moments, My mind was mindfuc- throughout the movies, (#5 was probably the best one, then #7). The ending was pretty nice and they survived from the long run :D.

Though maybe I should have watch it in chronological order, because it sort of jump between places and the timing was pretty odd. The final movie gives me a 10/10 but the rest for the series would be 9/10. Time to watch the epilogue,

Aug 4, 2014 1:53 PM

Nov 2013
Wow, Japan, really? Such a rollercoaster. I really wanted these two to be together, but then I thought one of them would die, then at the end it seemed both of them would die and I thought "What the actual hell?" and was about to rate this 1 because I became so pissed off. Then they both survived and became closer as a couple. Phew.
Aug 7, 2014 6:13 AM

Aug 2014
10/10 of course.
HandsomeMan said:
Wow, Japan, really? Such a rollercoaster. I really wanted these two to be together, but then I thought one of them would die, then at the end it seemed both of them would die and I thought "What the actual hell?" and was about to rate this 1 because I became so pissed off. Then they both survived and became closer as a couple. Phew.

That would have been quite the twist.
I might even have liked it in a weird way XD Sad endings have something to them. Though I guess it would have been a bit much.
But I was satisfied with this.
InsertanamehereSep 14, 2014 12:42 PM
Aug 15, 2014 7:19 AM

Jun 2012
Best thing about these movies was the animation.
Sep 9, 2014 12:22 PM
Aug 2014
Just beautiful in every single way. The action was superb, and I definitely boarded the feels train and had tears shed. Just perfect. 10/10 Complete masterpice and the ending after the credits with the cherry blossoms. <3
Oct 1, 2014 6:03 PM

Jun 2014
At first I thought Rio was SHIKI incarnated.. Oh wait, no, hes just a psychotic stalker/murderer that dresses like Shiki...

wtf the scene with him slobbering more saliva than the human body can produce all over shiki.
Oct 9, 2014 11:36 PM

Nov 2012
I thought the blonde guy happened to be SHIKI. Nope, it's just some psycho drug addict who dresses up like Shiki. I really did not enjoy Rio secreting three gallons of saliva onto Shiki. Also, a special mention to Kalafina's song. Seventh Heaven was yet another beautiful song. In fact, it might just be their best one.
ShigureOct 10, 2014 9:23 AM
Oct 19, 2014 7:05 PM

Jan 2013
Not as good as the 5th film but is the 2nd best. The saliva scene was entirely unnecessary though. I'm cool with sexually gratifying scenes like the next guy, but that was totally unneeded in a finale.

9/10

And kokuto should have died from the poison.
Oct 19, 2014 7:31 PM

Sep 2011
Udgey said:
Not as good as the 5th film but is the 2nd best. The saliva scene was entirely unnecessary though. I'm cool with sexually gratifying scenes like the next guy, but that was totally unneeded in a finale.

9/10

I should say, the scene actually more so illustrated Lio's descent to animalistic tendencies. I personally found it less "gratifying" and more just downright unsettling. It's one thing to have blatant rape in the story, but the depiction of sexual assault on Lio's part was far more calculated than any typical depiction of gratuitous shock value. He glorified Shiki and put her on a pedestal, both as a person and as his meal, and it really shows in the scene. His movements and careful treatment towards her, like a spider playing with its food, where he was carefully tracing the surface of her body, made for a convincing moment of power; not simply through sexual dominance but of one's control over someone's very life at the edge of death (the literal biting especially).

In this regard, I thought it was a fairly convincing scene. Couple that with the purposeful exposition and narrative exchange between Shiki and Lio (Lio's persistent questioning and desperate pleas contrasted with Shiki's internal monologues of strength and self-acceptance), and I felt it served to communicate their conflict of ideals in a tensely convincing manner. The saliva may have been "excessive" but people tend to forget that Lio's biology was slowly phasing out as a human being. In this case, his salivary capabilities are the same, and it's closer to those of animals than that of a normal person.

I should mention that Lio was practically becoming delirious by the end especially with his mind being slowly consumed by his own origin. His thought process and deduction of the effects of his own drugs are questionable and dubious at best. While the poison would have certainly killed Mikiya, it's not unbelievable to say that both Shiki and Mikiya managed to get out of the warehouse in time to get help. The creators have also commented that Mikiya's crippled state isn't just because of his physical injuries but also because of the toll his body took from the poison, so that's definitely something worth noting in terms of the damage that was done.
ronriOct 19, 2014 7:45 PM
Oct 20, 2014 11:55 AM

Jan 2013
ronri said:
Udgey said:

9/10

I should say, the scene actually more so illustrated Lio's descent to animalistic tendencies. I personally found it less "gratifying" and more just downright unsettling. It's one thing to have blatant rape in the story, but the depiction of sexual assault on Lio's part was far more calculated than any typical depiction of gratuitous shock value. He glorified Shiki and put her on a pedestal, both as a person and as his meal, and it really shows in the scene. His movements and careful treatment towards her, like a spider playing with its food, where he was carefully tracing the surface of her body, made for a convincing moment of power; not simply through sexual dominance but of one's control over someone's very life at the edge of death (the literal biting especially).

In this regard, I thought it was a fairly convincing scene. Couple that with the purposeful exposition and narrative exchange between Shiki and Lio (Lio's persistent questioning and desperate pleas contrasted with Shiki's internal monologues of strength and self-acceptance), and I felt it served to communicate their conflict of ideals in a tensely convincing manner. The saliva may have been "excessive" but people tend to forget that Lio's biology was slowly phasing out as a human being. In this case, his salivary capabilities are the same, and it's closer to those of animals than that of a normal person.

I should mention that Lio was practically becoming delirious by the end especially with his mind being slowly consumed by his own origin. His thought process and deduction of the effects of his own drugs are questionable and dubious at best. While the poison would have certainly killed Mikiya, it's not unbelievable to say that both Shiki and Mikiya managed to get out of the warehouse in time to get help. The creators have also commented that Mikiya's crippled state isn't just because of his physical injuries but also because of the toll his body took from the poison, so that's definitely something worth noting in terms of the damage that was done.
If Mikiya was able to get help, then the previous victims of Lio would have just gone and get help instead of take the LSD. Mikiya should have died.

Even if salivating over Shiki is an attempt to express the carnal desire within Lio, I doubt there's many predators that do that. We're mainly giving imagery of lion predators and without a doubt they don't salivate over their food before biting. I doubt there's many animals that do that either. I'd rather they just animate him raping/biting Shiki right then and there.
Oct 20, 2014 6:13 PM

Sep 2011
Spoiler-tagging my responses to avoid clutter:
Udgey said:
If Mikiya was able to get help, then the previous victims of Lio would have just gone and get help instead of take the LSD. Mikiya should have died.

Udgey said:
Even if salivating over Shiki is an attempt to express the carnal desire within Lio, I doubt there's many predators that do that. We're mainly giving imagery of lion predators and without a doubt they don't salivate over their food before biting. I doubt there's many animals that do that either. I'd rather they just animate him raping/biting Shiki right then and there.

I must say, I apologize if I come across as a bit stand-offish since it is definitely not my intention. It's just that there are parts where I felt that you seem to have misconstrued with regards to the film and certain elements of the antagonist, and I couldn't help but point them out. In this regard, I simply wish to offer a different perspective in order to give a better understanding, and I hope that comes across through my response.

EDIT: Fixed some of the phrasing for better clarity.
ronriOct 20, 2014 8:22 PM
Oct 22, 2014 8:50 AM

Oct 2014
Superb ending to a superb series..But i felt like i was being trolled when Mikiya and Shiki moved close to each other only to end up hugging after the fight with Lio..I felt so sure they were going to kiss then..:(
They should have kissed at least once IMO..A superb romance like MikiyaXShiki deserved it..My only complaint about an otherwise excellent series
Dec 16, 2014 2:58 PM

Apr 2009
7/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2015 10:51 PM

Dec 2010
Kiss her you fool!
Jan 28, 2015 6:31 PM

Jul 2012
It took me a little over two years to finish this film series, but I made it haha (Well I guess I still gotta get to the epilogue and the two side stories, but I'll get to them)! It wasn't because the series was bad as a whole or anything. It's just some of the films in between we're a bit too slow for my liking. Although, the animation and OST were amazing for this series.

I loved how they portrayed the inner struggles between Mikiya and Shiki in this film. Especially within the last two scenes :)

8/10 for this last film.
Feb 20, 2015 6:56 PM

Sep 2013
Not as big of a fan of the KnK movies as some are, but this one really got to me.

10/10 Shiki x Kokotou forever ;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2015 10:06 PM

Sep 2011
Mickdrew said:
Not as big of a fan of the KnK movies as some are, but this one really got to me.

10/10 Shiki x Kokotou forever ;_;

Glad to find someone who loved this movie. While I'm a huge fan of the entire series, I always thought that the 7th film really delivered that emotional payoff, hence why it's still my most favorite. ;_;
Feb 21, 2015 4:56 AM

May 2014
So beautiful... The lack of OST and action in the first 3 quarters were kinda bothersome but all the answered questions and the emotional ending compensated everything.

I'm very glad I started this series :D
10/10
Feb 21, 2015 5:06 AM

Aug 2014
Hibiki07 said:

10/10

Just in case you don't know, there's a bit more to watch;

http://myanimelist.net/anime/6954/Kara_no_Kyoukai:_Epilogue
http://myanimelist.net/anime/22763/Kara_no_Kyoukai:_Mirai_Fukuin_-_Extra_Chorus
http://myanimelist.net/anime/14807/Kara_no_Kyoukai:_Mirai_Fukuin
ronri said:

Glad to find someone who loved this movie. While I'm a huge fan of the entire series, I always thought that the 7th film really delivered that emotional payoff, hence why it's still my most favorite. ;_;

Is that Lio in your avatar?
InsertanamehereFeb 21, 2015 8:45 AM
Feb 21, 2015 9:15 AM

Sep 2013
ronri said:

I feel the exact same way :D

Hibiki07 said:
So beautiful... The lack of OST and action in the first 3 quarters were kinda bothersome but all the answered questions and the emotional ending compensated everything.

10/10

I didn't have a problem with the use of the OST here at all. I think the 7th film actually had some of the best tracks in the series.
Feb 21, 2015 9:46 PM

Sep 2011
Insertanamehere said:

Indeed it is! I appreciate his overall role and character as an antagonistic foil against Shiki. I find that his design and characterization possessed a lot of thematic significance and complexity in their writing/construction, and it's based on those elements why he's become one of my most favorites from the series. ^_^
Feb 22, 2015 9:46 AM

Aug 2014
ronri said:
Insertanamehere said:

Indeed it is! I appreciate his overall role and character as an antagonistic foil against Shiki. I find that his design and characterization possessed a lot of thematic significance and complexity in their writing/construction, and it's based on those elements why he's become one of my most favorites from the series. ^_^

I agree. A lot of people say he felt underwhelming after Araya, but I think in terms of character he was a better and more thematically fitting final antagonist and obstacle for Shiki (and to a lesser extent Mikiya) to face and overcome, in their respective character arcs.
Feb 22, 2015 3:34 PM

Sep 2011
Insertanamehere said:
I agree. A lot of people say he felt underwhelming after Araya, but I think in terms of character he was a better and more thematically fitting final antagonist and obstacle for Shiki (and to a lesser extent Mikiya) to face and overcome, in their respective character arcs.

Oh definitely! I know people often prefer Araya since he's essentially the root of the series' entire conflict and tends to bring in the more existential aspects of the series, but I really love how Lio touches a little closer on the human side of the series, especially on the notion of fate vs free will (a concept that harkens really closely to Shiki's internal struggles). I think people tend to easily forget how Lio was actually the one who nearly drove Shiki to suicide and was essentially the one who had been psychologically manipulating her to further push the notion that she was a killer the entire time (in which the disastrous outcome was something that even Araya didn't anticipate).

I find that a lot of Lio's complexities aren't readily apparent due to his more seemingly "crazy" personality so people tend to hand-wave his actions as simply that of a "crazy guy". I think the most interesting part is how he seemingly conducts his mannerisms very differently depending on who he's talking to (almost like he's putting a "show" just so either one of them would join him as his companion), yet he barely puts any of the blame of his circumstances towards either Shiki or Mikiya due to possessing such a guilty mind.

Honestly I think it interesting how, despite claiming otherwise, it's explicitly shown in the end that he's afraid of taking responsibility for his crimes and is probably one of the most guilt-ridden antagonists in the entire series. While Araya is definitely more fun in terms of being cosmic and grand in his schemes/goals, I just find that Lio's more humanized characteristics as an antagonist that is slowly spiraling out of control to be much more interesting and actually serves as a perfect counterpoint to Shiki internal conflict and insecurities.

In this regard, I was pleasantly surprised to find that he ended up being the final antagonist of the series and it actually made the emotional payoff of seeing Shiki and Mikiya finally being together all the more rewarding.
ronriFeb 22, 2015 3:43 PM
Feb 23, 2015 10:21 AM

May 2014
I know. It's just that the main thing is over. I'm gonna watch them as soon as I have some free time to spare.

Mickdrew said:
I didn't have a problem with the use of the OST here at all. I think the 7th film actually had some of the best tracks in the series.
I also think they are great but at some times the movie felt rather silent to me.
Mar 25, 2015 2:13 AM

May 2014
I.. I don't even know what to say. It's been a long time since I got off my chair and started clapping when an anime ended. But this deserves so much more. This is probably the greatest set of movies I'll ever see in my life.

As for the actual movie 9/10. Not sure exactly why, but I liked Paradox Spiral a little more. This was the most satisfying movie though. Such a great ending to an amazing story.
"You either die an Ashita no Joe, or you live long enough to see yourself become a Naruto."
Apr 11, 2015 10:29 AM

Jun 2014
the first half was boring and I can't stand Mikiya's perfectness. But he was just hypocrite.

4.5/10
Apr 11, 2015 9:29 PM

Nov 2014
It was good, but 5 is still best

May 30, 2015 6:44 PM

Oct 2013
Great movie, 5 is still my favorite, still got one question though, I keep hearing that Shiki has never killed anyone, at least innocent right, but in the second movie she clearly is standing in front of a person with it's head cut off, or does SHIKI not count with Shiki?

May 31, 2015 12:02 AM

Sep 2011
-Ziro said:
Great movie, 5 is still my favorite, still got one question though, I keep hearing that Shiki has never killed anyone, at least innocent right, but in the second movie she clearly is standing in front of a person with it's head cut off, or does SHIKI not count with Shiki?

That scenario was set up by Lio to further implicate Shiki. So no, Shiki still didn't kill anyone since that was by Lio. It's heavily hinted when Mikiya visited Lio's apartment and you see Lio filming Shiki from the bushes in one of the camera videos during that same moment. Also, Lio explains that he purposely called Mikiya to have dinner with him on that night so that Mikiya would find out about Shiki "killing" someone. Mikiya points out that he's lying, heavily hinting that Lio killed the person on the way near Shiki's house in order to frame Shiki (Lio killed the guy just as Shiki was returning to her home to make it seem like it was her doing).
May 31, 2015 4:05 AM

Oct 2013
ronri said:
-Ziro said:

That scenario was set up by Lio to further implicate Shiki. So no, Shiki still didn't kill anyone since that was by Lio. It's heavily hinted when Mikiya visited Lio's apartment and you see Lio filming Shiki from the bushes in one of the camera videos during that same moment. Also, Lio explains that he purposely called Mikiya to have dinner with him on that night so that Mikiya would find out about Shiki "killing" someone. Mikiya points out that he's lying, heavily hinting that Lio killed the person on the way near Shiki's house in order to frame Shiki (Lio killed the guy just as Shiki was returning to her home to make it seem like it was her doing).

I guess that makes more sense now, It's just that Shiki chasing after Kokutou to kill him in that same movie got me more confused with that first scene.

May 31, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2011
-Ziro said:
ronri said:

I guess that makes more sense now, It's just that Shiki chasing after Kokutou to kill him in that same movie got me more confused with that first scene.

Haha fair enough. That was sort of the point behind Lio's actions. Admittedly that last part was more like Shiki breaking down from all the pressure around her, and Mikiya almost became her first murder had she not held back.
Jun 1, 2015 10:56 PM

Sep 2010
Speechless. Ending was magnificent and satisfying beyond relief. Biggest emotional journey/rollercoaster I've experience since Steins;Gate and Guilty Crown. I will remember this series forever! Ufotable was pro in animation even before Fate/stay Zero/UBW which made it even more bloody amazing.
Jun 6, 2015 8:38 PM
Mar 2015
ronri said:
-Ziro said:

Haha fair enough. That was sort of the point behind Lio's actions. Admittedly that last part was more like Shiki breaking down from all the pressure around her, and Mikiya almost became her first murder had she not held back.

I am still a little confused about this. So we know Shiki never killed anyone, but why does she call herself a murder when she's talks to Kokutou in the classroom in movie 2? Or am I completely overlooking something like a fool?
Jun 7, 2015 1:16 AM

Sep 2011
sirodneh said:
I am still a little confused about this. So we know Shiki never killed anyone, but why does she call herself a murder when she's talks to Kokutou in the classroom in movie 2? Or am I completely overlooking something like a fool?

Lio was screwing around with her psychologically by manipulating her to think that she's a full-fledged killer. If you look back in Movie 2, Lio even went out of his way to meet and blame her for the murders.

Beyond just that, Shiki has an affinity for death and murder since her Origin is "Nothingness"; in this case, it manifests as a desire for death. Every time she saw a corpse she'd be in complete ecstasy and would often find herself in a trance. She blames her memory lapses on the possibility that her masculine personality "SHIKI" might have been at work in terms of killing people, thus convincing herself that she's an actual killer. The reason she keeps saying that she might end up killing Mikiya is because she's scared that she'll end up going crazy and kill him. Since she actually likes him, she tried committing suicide instead.

Basically, Lio messed with her head, and because Shiki already had a natural affinity for death, that didn't help matters.
Jun 7, 2015 8:35 PM
Mar 2015
ronri said:
sirodneh said:

Lio was screwing around with her psychologically by manipulating her to think that she's a full-fledged killer. If you look back in Movie 2, Lio even went out of his way to meet and blame her for the murders.

Beyond just that, Shiki has an affinity for death and murder since her Origin is "Nothingness"; in this case, it manifests as a desire for death. Every time she saw a corpse she'd be in complete ecstasy and would often find herself in a trance. She blames her memory lapses on the possibility that her masculine personality "SHIKI" might have been at work in terms of killing people, thus convincing herself that she's an actual killer. The reason she keeps saying that she might end up killing Mikiya is because she's scared that she'll end up going crazy and kill him. Since she actually likes him, she tried committing suicide instead.

Basically, Lio messed with her head, and because Shiki already had a natural affinity for death, that didn't help matters.

I came back here to delete my question because after a second viewing of movie 7, I realized that she was in fact being messed with and manipulated by Lio. But your reply helped even more so thank you. By the way, I've been reading the discussion page of the Epilogue movie, and I noticed your comments and I must admit, you really do understand these movies really well! You've dedicated a lot to explaining things to people who have questions and its really helpful. Hell, don't be surprised if you find a reply from me over in that discussion haha!
Jun 27, 2015 3:36 PM

Feb 2015
Well that scene was disgusting.
Jul 5, 2015 10:48 PM

Nov 2014
Shirazumi was so f***ing annoying with all his over the top expressions and laughing. I briefly hated Mikiya too for making Shiki show that disgusting asshole mercy. Shiki's confidence and strength are reduced to passivity and submissiveness for his sake.

I liked the art and OST in the first half.

These shots were really nice.

aikaflipJul 5, 2015 11:35 PM
Jul 6, 2015 9:58 PM

Sep 2011
aikaflip said:
Shirazumi was so f***ing annoying with all his over the top expressions and laughing. I briefly hated Mikiya too for making Shiki show that disgusting asshole mercy. Shiki's confidence and strength are reduced to passivity and submissiveness for his sake.

It's not so much a case of simply showing mercy though. While initially Mikiya did care about Lio, his warning was more to do with caring about Shiki's mental well-being. You ought to recognize that Shiki was recklessly handling the case by doing things on her own accord with little regard for how things might turn out. The fact that she didn't consult Touko and Mikiya about it and how she even planned to part ways with them because of the incident showed just how much the case was affecting her state of mind.

While it's fine that Shiki built up the strength and confidence in herself throughout the years to cope with her problems, you ought to realize that a lot of that was based on her self-condemning attitude of being a killer which actually proved to be false as this movie revealed. The key thing to note is that Shiki's sense of self up to this point had essentially been built up on a lie, a misconception more specifically. It's easy to dismiss this as her being reduced to passivity and submissiveness for Mikiya/Lio's sake but this isn't the case at all. Rather, with the pretense of being a serial killer being proven false it essentially meant that she could finally achieve what she had always dreamed for herself: a normal life.

Shiki lived most of her life thinking she's insane and that she essentially committed a series of murders. She tried to build up her identity and sense of self around this idea for a very long time until she was essentially resigned to never truly possessing a normal life. The revelation of Lio's identity as the true culprit behind all those murders was more or less a huge slap to the face. This frustrated her as it essentially served to show that she had been living a lie. However, the contradiction lies in the fact that she wanted to distinguish herself from him by literally abandoning all the good things she had in her life at that time.

It's what makes the 7th film so crucial in characterizing Shiki's character development: she's NOT a crazed serial killer. It's what makes Lio such an effective final antagonist, his life as a person who avoided the responsibility of their guilty actions is the complete opposite of what Shiki stands for. The 7th film's story essentially serves as the culmination of Shiki's internal conflict between her self-imposed mindset as a crazed serial killer and her desire for a normal life.
Jul 14, 2015 4:13 PM

Jan 2015
As people stated above, the drooling scene was really disgusting and downright disturbing. Didn't like it.
Same for the gay kiss... Why do I keeo seeing this in anime dammit ! There are other more efficient ways to forcibly make someone swallow something, rather than kissing them, fuck their moe culture this is just cringe-worthy.

Mikiya also returns to his stupid roots of self-righteousness. Someone so weak doesn't get to say what is right or wrong. He's just lucky to be a main character, that's the second time he's illogically escaped death (first time was in the 5th movie with the repeated head-bashing against the wall).
"When you kill someone, you also kill yourself in the process", even if you agree with this (which I don't), a being like Rio doesn't qualify as "someone" anymore. More like a rabid dog that needs to be put down. It is clearly stated that he embraced his origin willingly after all.

I can understand the thought behind it, which is proving that Shiki does not need to murder. But killing a single "individual" (more like a beast), one that specifically targets you and threatens your way of life at that, does not make you a monster...

Rant off. Overall a pretty good movie, but as stated the absurdity of "don't kill the killer" really downplayed it a lot, sadly. 7/10
Jul 14, 2015 9:07 PM

Sep 2011
HapHazrD said:
Same for the gay kiss... Why do I keeo seeing this in anime dammit ! There are other more efficient ways to forcibly make someone swallow something, rather than kissing them, fuck their moe culture this is just cringe-worthy.

I get that it's disturbing but it's definitely not playing on anime's "moe culture". Lio's mental capacity has broken down all moral barriers he's had before. Not to mention, if one pays attention Lio was actually trying to goad either Shiki or Mikiya independently. It's why his actions/words are so contradictory with each other as he only serves to show a side of him to either person to cater to what he feels would convince them to join his side. Also Nasu (the author) has expressed that although Lio loved Shiki, he also loved Mikiya and only realized it upon "killing" him.

HapHazrD said:
Mikiya also returns to his stupid roots of self-righteousness. Someone so weak doesn't get to say what is right or wrong. He's just lucky to be a main character, that's the second time he's illogically escaped death (first time was in the 5th movie with the repeated head-bashing against the wall).
"When you kill someone, you also kill yourself in the process", even if you agree with this (which I don't), a being like Rio doesn't qualify as "someone" anymore. More like a rabid dog that needs to be put down. It is clearly stated that he embraced his origin willingly after all.

I can understand the thought behind it, which is proving that Shiki does not need to murder. But killing a single "individual" (more like a beast), one that specifically targets you and threatens your way of life at that, does not make you a monster...

Again I think people keep forgetting that the entire point behind Mikiya's reasoning had less to do with his self-righteousness and more to do with his worries over Shiki's mental state and well-being. Lio's death was essentially beside the point.

Even Mikiya was putting down Lio by the end of the story, and the way he was treated as a rabid beast further cements that Mikiya's intentions weren't directed at trying to save Lio, rather it's to stop Shiki from acting so recklessly without his and Touko's aid. The fact is he didn't even give a damn about Lio's death in the end and he was simply happy to see that Shiki was fine. Mikiya has been known to keep up pretenses to mask his actual intentions of caring for Shiki, and this is another case of him doing just that (similar to a number of things he said to Shiki in Movie 2).

Again, when Shiki was hunting down Lio, she was actually pretty dead-set on leaving Mikiya and the others behind. It's why she stopped staying at her apartment and dropped any contacts with Touko and Mikiya any longer. If it weren't for Mikiya's "self-righteousness", she wouldn't have come to her senses even after she killed Lio since she was pretty resigned to the idea of throwing her life away just to settle a score.
ronriJul 14, 2015 9:11 PM
Jul 14, 2015 11:11 PM

Sep 2013
Well that was a satisfying ending. While I felt that the kiss scene, cross-dressing and the weird-ass drool scene was unnecessary and there are still some loose ends, overall I enjoyed this last episode. Now time to move on to the epilogue and the next movie.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 15, 2015 10:18 PM

Oct 2014
I was actually hoping shiki and mikigaya would actually kiss. god damn it.... didn't happen.

i thought it was pretty stupid to show mikiya magically grow like 10 inches of bangs in less than a year. the most stupid and bizarre thing to happen in this series.
Jul 21, 2015 5:22 AM

Dec 2014
There' s something that has been bothering me, about the exchange beetween mikiya and shiki when he finds out that she is still alive. When thinking to himself "i will carry your sins blabla" he also adds "...So I will kill you"

Wtf is that? Am i missing something? Is that a sub error because to this day that line still bothers me.
Jul 21, 2015 5:29 AM

May 2012
HapHazrD said:

Mikiya also returns to his stupid roots of self-righteousness. Someone so weak doesn't get to say what is right or wrong.

Really? What makes you special then? You're just a faceless corpse in a sea of people, if someone so weak doesn't get to decide what's right or wrong, what makes you think you do?
Jul 21, 2015 7:55 AM

Sep 2011
flo7 said:
There' s something that has been bothering me, about the exchange beetween mikiya and shiki when he finds out that she is still alive. When thinking to himself "i will carry your sins blabla" he also adds "...So I will kill you"

Wtf is that? Am i missing something? Is that a sub error because to this day that line still bothers me.

It's not literal, more like figure of speech. It's a sentiment used to express one's desire to be by their partner's side, even in death.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rate all the KnK! (ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN ALL SEVEN!) ( 1 2 3 4 )

KaminaKai - Dec 13, 2009

187 by TierraRobada »»
Jul 16, 2023 6:53 AM

» Your thoughts on it all

FauxAzn - Jan 24, 2012

29 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 19, 2023 1:13 PM

» Opening music?

amade0 - Jul 13, 2010

9 by Ougii_00 »»
Feb 5, 2023 12:11 AM

» What order should I watch Kara no Kyoukai? ( 1 2 )

Snaita - Sep 23, 2012

67 by NekoZamurai »»
Dec 26, 2022 8:55 AM

» understanding kara no kyoukai movies symbolism

mcskops - Jul 14, 2015

6 by Zelot »»
Jul 14, 2015 4:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.