Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 4, 2009 12:02 AM
Jul 2008
Lol at Hughes for hiding the whole time XD! Nice one on one fight between Armstrong and Scar. Great brother fighting and making up scene after all the havoc. Mustang should really remember that he can't fight during rainy days =P. Winry next week.
May 4, 2009 12:45 AM

Sep 2008
brilliant!! i haven't seen the first series in years but from what i can remember of this bit, this version was much better (and it was great originally). This episode was perfectly paced in my opinion, we got a great mix of story, action, and mystery. (Even if i know of a lot of the mystery it still contributes greatly to the feel). Scar sure feels a lot more vicious in this version, he seemed a lot more threatening.

Was great to see Armstrong in action and kicking ass, he was always my favourite character from this series and to see him in such an intense and big fight was awesome. :)

there was some moments in this episode that the animation seemed even better than it's already been (which it has been amazing so far), it makes the visual appeal so much better.

I haven't read the Manga but it seems like this version may end up being far better for the reason that it will probably be constantly working the main plot line for the entire series, instead of having some side stories like in fma1 (or at least that's what i remember correct me if I'm wrong been awhile :/). I just hope people will finally stop complaining about the pace, it hasn't been rushed at all so far, it just seems that way cause the first was more dragged out. Doesn't mean that this is rushed though.
May 4, 2009 12:57 AM

Oct 2008
DeathfireD said:
ShaolinRibiero said:
The best episode thus far by a considerable amount, which unfortunately isn't saying a great deal.

It's also the only one not to feature jokes about Ed's height.

Coincidence?

I agree. This episode and the last one where far better then episodes 1-3. I can only hope they continue like this.

Basically I felt like I was having a flashback, but everything was just a little bit different. Episode was Ok, but wasn't able to achieve the emotional congruency with FMA1 like episode four. *Orion Yawns, then laughs at himself for continuing to torture himself.* Interesting enough, If I look at it like I'm just re-watching FMA1 then I think I'll be able to continue. Oh but wait everything is a little bit different. Where am I? Am I in an alternate universe? Is this how the artists envisioned FMA in this parallel dimension? Yes, Yes I hear all the yes people, BUT IT'S LIKE THE MANGA. Oh darn I might miss how the manga artist envisioned the story just slightly different this way or a little different that way. *Orion imagines how cows must feel.* {Here's your hay, it's the same as the hay you ate yesterday, but today it has a bit more green hay.}

May 4, 2009 1:11 AM

Jul 2007
I really enjoyed this episode, and next episode Winrey! :)
May 4, 2009 1:24 AM

Oct 2008
What can I say? Armstrong makes me smile, I loved getting to see him take on Scar in his unique way. I think it's a great portrayal. Scar really gave Ed and Al a beating, and yes, I can't wait to see the upcoming episode with Winry in it.
May 4, 2009 1:34 AM

Aug 2008
The battle scenes were nicely animated as always similar to the first episode. The pacing was fast. However, it's already a given fact since it's a remake.

They managed to fill in everything into one episode. You can say that I am very impressed. I'm looking forward to next week's episode!

May 4, 2009 1:59 AM

May 2008
lol Roy almost got owned by Scar xD

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 4, 2009 6:10 AM

Apr 2009
Nice ep, action was great.

Looking forward to more.
May 4, 2009 6:17 AM

Apr 2008
not bad this episode ... so much action xD

May 4, 2009 6:45 AM

Jul 2008
This was really nice episode, finally some action and it's great that first volumes are going a little faster so soon we can have some 'new' stuff to FMA anime.

And this episode was funny too, really liked :3

May 4, 2009 6:45 AM

Oct 2007
so boring to rewatch this @_@
its like this episode was lacking in every aspect
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2009 7:55 AM

Jul 2008
Hmmm... it's getting better but I still like the introduction pace of the first FMA more.
And I still think that they had better art in the first season ;P

But if it's keep getting better like this I think by EP 10 it should be awesome once again^^
May 4, 2009 8:21 AM

Jul 2008
Jaen-ni-rin said:
And I still think that they had better art in the first season ;P

On first season they made good-looking characters. On second season they try to make characters look as similar as in the manga. That's the biggest difference in art.

May 4, 2009 9:33 AM

Jul 2008
Yeah, but that's a pretty weak explanation on their part.
The art Arakawa does in manga still looks better (at least further down the line... the art starts to be consistently nice around, say, tankobon 9) than what we have in the current season. And IMO the old wasn't THAT far from manga as to justify such a eyesore of a change ;P

For example how Scar looked this episode kinda bugged me.
Also all the State Military character look wrong to me. Mustang, Havoc, Riza and Hughes being most strikingly ugly. Well I have a nitpicking quality in my character (I'm never satisfied with how my drawings come out for eg.) so I may be exaggerating a bit.
It's nothing too bad to stop me from watching nuFMA, but still - it bugs me every time I see characters drawn wrong. Especially when they are nearly perfect in the OP.

I agree though - having consistent art quality in amation is harder than in still drawing.
May 4, 2009 11:11 AM

Jun 2008
Awesome episode. I like it.
May 4, 2009 11:24 AM

Apr 2009
Peralisc said:

How so? I thought it was superb in every aspect.

Jaen-ni-rin said:
The art Arakawa does in manga still looks better (at least further down the line... the art starts to be consistently nice around, say, tankobon 9) than what we have in the current season. And IMO the old wasn't THAT far from manga as to justify such a eyesore of a change ;P

Also all the State Military character look wrong to me. Mustang, Havoc, Riza and Hughes being most strikingly ugly. Well I have a nitpicking quality in my character (I'm never satisfied with how my drawings come out for eg.) so I may be exaggerating a bit.
It's nothing too bad to stop me from watching nuFMA, but still - it bugs me every time I see characters drawn wrong. Especially when they are nearly perfect in the OP.

I agree though - having consistent art quality in amation is harder than in still drawing.

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I think the new art it positively gorgeous, while the first series' art seemed boring and generic to me. So to each their own, I guess?

And I don't know what you're talking about with regards to the state military characters. I think Mustang, Havoc, Hawkeye and Hughes are looking sexy as hell thus far.

On a completely unrelated note, I love your avatar. :3
May 4, 2009 11:35 AM

Jul 2008
Aww Scar gots away (as expected) XD
great episode, looking forward to next episode =D
May 4, 2009 12:00 PM

Jun 2008
Is anyone else having technical problems while watching this? the screen freezes a lot almost to the point of being unwatchable and it's starting to get on my nerves.

Anyway, I'm liking it so far, didn't read the manga nor I watched the first season so I don't have any problems with the pacing, so..
May 4, 2009 12:04 PM

Apr 2009
Luisen123 said:
Is anyone else having technical problems while watching this? the screen freezes a lot almost to the point of being unwatchable and it's starting to get on my nerves.

It might be that it's too high def for your computer to handle. I know that my computer gets finicky when I try to play HD files. There are SD versions of both the subs I found, perhaps you could try downloading one of them instead?
May 4, 2009 12:08 PM

Feb 2009
I found this episode very productive, everything was paced perfectly. The anime is of a really high standard,I suppose that is the reason why it is so popular. I like how they add the comedy relief in the right sections of the series as well, the anime prods you in and makes you care about every character as well, which you don't get in some others. By the way how far ahead is the manga, episode wise in the anime and chapter wise please, thank you!
May 4, 2009 12:25 PM

Jul 2008
Jaen-ni-rin said:

Everybody has their opinions. I myself consider the art of FMA2 gorgeous and consider teh art of FMA1 boring and one of its weakest elements.
May 4, 2009 12:33 PM

Aug 2008
It's just as Sami said, they're getting some good comedy moments in at the right times. I'm loving this new FMA so far. The art work is lush. I adore this so far.
May 4, 2009 1:17 PM

Aug 2008
I really didn't see big differences in the artwork until the Homonculi in Lior and Ed in the bed of this episode. Outside of that and the SD, I'm sorry, the differences are minimal like width of outlines and slight proportions in faces.
May 4, 2009 1:35 PM

Dec 2007
This is the best episode of Brotherhood so far, the scene where they are sitting in the rain and scar comes was perfection to me. 5/5
May 4, 2009 2:22 PM

Dec 2008
This episode, my friends....was so good! I mean I knew I was going to enjoy it in one way or another, but I really loved how you get to see almost all of the important characters all in one episode. How wonderful is that :D?

So many things I loved...but the biggest thing I loved? The art and animation. Holy crap it's gorgeous! I don't know if the art got better or it's just me getting used to the artwork...but I was sure aware of the fact that the animation went up a few notches. The confrontation between Scar and Ed & Al? Extremely impressive imho :P

I got sick of Armstrong from FMA1, and I wasn't particularly excited when we got to see him again this time around....but this episode refreshed my love for him XD Was it just me, or was he extra sparkly and awesome in FMA:B? I hope he's always like this hahaha~

Riza is also awesome, loved how she saved Mustang (and called him impotent, I literally LOLed) and I loved how she seems extra cooler with her gunwork :D

And we get to see Winry next week! Yay~

I wonder how many times I've used the word "loved" in this post? What can I say, I LOVE this episode XD

Bakayaro said:
Good episode, I had fun. I was kinda weirded when I heard Envy's new voice, trying to rack my brain. Then I remembered Kati.
No way! No wonder I was weirded out too XD not only is the seiryuu female but she's Kati hahaha I'm surprised I didn't recognize her voice :P

Omegaoveride said:
BTW anyone still looking for the subs I would go with Eclipse. I was on the SS forum earlier today and read that they are suspended till further notice because their FMA translater left and the Sinshen Subs Sucks subs are meh...
Yea SS dropped it :(...but I read that "The Alchemists" are actually them, I downloaded it and I'm certain that they are the same people. Same font, same translations. However episode 4's translations didn't please me....so right now I'm caught between Eclipse and "SS"....any suggestions guys? I think I have a slight attachment to SS since I've followed them for a while.. Both of their subs are good, it's just that I'm nitpicky for some lines and such...

noteDhero said:
I was a little surprised about Al's reaction to Ed in the aftermath. I don't remember him being so direct (this is a really good thing) and aggressive with Ed, so I enjoyed that tons.
Me too! I I was quite caught off guard by the aggressive way he talked....but I really like it. I think it's an interesting change (from FMA1 since I haven't read the manga, i don't know if that's his personality) After being impressed with Al's outburst, I was really impressed with Rie's voice acting, I'll say she definitely improved.

Peralisc said:
Ehhh o___o really? Are you sure you weren't watching the wrong episode? Jkjk XD did you read the manga? Maybe that's why it doesn't seem impressive ><...
May 4, 2009 2:31 PM

Apr 2009
robbydesu said:

Omegaoveride said:
BTW anyone still looking for the subs I would go with Eclipse. I was on the SS forum earlier today and read that they are suspended till further notice because their FMA translater left and the Sinshen Subs Sucks subs are meh...
Yea SS dropped it :(...but I read that "The Alchemists" are actually them, I downloaded it and I'm certain that they are the same people. Same font, same translations. However episode 4's translations didn't please me....so right now I'm caught between Eclipse and "SS"....any suggestions guys? I think I have a slight attachment to SS since I've followed them for a while.. Both of their subs are good, it's just that I'm nitpicky for some lines and such...

SS was releasing as the Alchemists because Funi sent them a C&D. The translator leaving happened sometime since last episode, so there's no more SS subs until they find someone else. I'm sticking with Eclipse at least until SS comes back, because Omegaoverride was right about those other subs. I also have a preference for SS, though. ^^;
I do think their translations are fairly close to SS's, though. At least, the OP was translated the same (those other subs had a difference trans).

robbydesu said:
Peralisc said:
Ehhh o___o really? Are you sure you weren't watching the wrong episode? Jkjk XD did you read the manga? Maybe that's why it doesn't seem impressive ><...

I've the manga, and I thought the episode was great. This one was probably the most faithful to the manga so far, and that's saying something because the others have been remarkabley faithful as well.
May 4, 2009 2:43 PM

Dec 2008
magelet said:
robbydesu said:

Omegaoveride said:

SS was releasing as the Alchemists because Funi sent them a C&D. The translator leaving happened sometime since last episode, so there's no more SS subs until they find someone else. I'm sticking with Eclipse at least until SS comes back, because Omegaoverride was right about those other subs. I also have a preference for SS, though. ^^;
I do think their translations are fairly close to SS's, though. At least, the OP was translated the same (those other subs had a difference trans).
Wait WHAT? Funimation sent them a SECOND C&D?! That's just so sad XD...and no wonder episode 5 didn't come out. Oh well, that means I'll stick with Eclipse, not that it's a bad thing....it was just the attachment thing I was having a problem with XD Hahaha yes, you know you have a problem when you start developing attachments to fansubbing groups >_>..
May 4, 2009 2:47 PM

May 2007
Amazing episode once again... the animations was superb and the pacing was great actually. And gawd I just love Ed's facial expressions. And I love the strong bond the Brothers share. Lol'd at Armstrong though, that guy never cease to amuse me. XD Also... hey there Envy! XD

Anyway Winry next ep whooo!

May 4, 2009 3:41 PM

Jan 2008
Jaen-ni-rin said:

I think it's a matter of personal preference. I think the new art it positively gorgeous, while the first series' art seemed boring and generic to me. So to each their own, I guess?

And I don't know what you're talking about with regards to the state military characters. I think Mustang, Havoc, Hawkeye and Hughes are looking sexy as hell thus far.

On a completely unrelated note, I love your avatar. :3

I kind of notice artistic differences, mostly in the eyes and faces. Sometimes the character's faces are much more rounded, it somehow makes them appear childish or younger. I'm not really a fan of that, but otherwise the art's pretty good. And there's something about Mustang's face that really irks me. It's so different from the first series, I dunno, I don't really like it. Can't quite pinpoint what it is, I think it might be the eyes and face shape too...either way I thought he was better looking in the first series.
May 4, 2009 3:50 PM

Jan 2009
The morning before I watched this, I had catched this episode's version of the story from the first anime on TV.

This made the new episode suffer in one sense... the animation was clearly choppier in comparison. Specifically, characters talking looked cheap in some scenes (particularly Armstrong and Hughes). Though in some scenes it had a good flow, in others it was really distracting. I can see this episode getting some make over in DVD.

The pacing was interesting, as it felt weird at first that Armstrong started fighting and everyone was just looking instead of helping, but they acknowledged this and justified it (while in the manga it was just left there). Also it missed the reason Ed started moving (thanks to the clock sounding he managed to get a grip). But well, that's nitpicking.

All in all it's still a great series, and at the rate is going I can see it entering completely original (to the anime) material around episode 15; can't wait!
May 4, 2009 3:58 PM

Jan 2008
I know what you mean about the animation quality.

Again, the overall artwork in this series is wonderful, but I find that they slack off on things that the first series didn't. When characters are talking they sometime just animate the bare minimum. Tthey also seem to use the 'chibi' characters too much in my opinion.

They take a lot more shortcuts whereas the first series had more of a solid quality. Still, nothing I'm too ticked off over, just something I noticed.
May 4, 2009 7:41 PM

Apr 2009
Really great. Poor Roy wasn't able to show off though. T_T
May 4, 2009 8:39 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
so far i still prefer the first FMA.
p r o f i l e 👀
May 4, 2009 8:41 PM

Jul 2008
I loved FMA series but I can't find brotherhood episodes anywhere :P
May 4, 2009 9:57 PM

Apr 2009
kamigranato04 said:
I loved FMA series but I can't find brotherhood episodes anywhere :P

Animebreaker has them here.
May 4, 2009 9:59 PM

Jul 2008
Thanks!
May 5, 2009 12:06 AM

Dec 2007
sup with Shinsen? did they finally drop it? o_0
episode was great, except minor bags with Armstrong gloves, in the middle of the battle they've just disappeared, and messed up Roy's face.
it's getting harder and harder to compare it with the first adaptation, because I don't even remember what exactly was different... and reading manga messes up memory even more...
May 5, 2009 8:25 AM

Apr 2009
Shinsen lost their FMA translator.

@kamigranato- No problem. :)
May 5, 2009 10:37 AM

Aug 2008
Finally we got to see scar kick some ass. Cant wait for the next episode
May 5, 2009 12:35 PM

Mar 2008
Pretty good this week again.
May 5, 2009 1:07 PM

Mar 2007
Animation suddenly got much more detailed!
May 5, 2009 1:09 PM

Dec 2008
yFANTgirl said:
Animation suddenly got much more detailed!
Wasn't it just delicious?! XD <3 ~
May 5, 2009 2:15 PM

Jan 2008
great episode as usual... xD i still love the darkness of the series. and as my cousin said (as scar and the miltary and then hughes came in) WTF did they come from and why weren't they heard? XD one track mind indeed. lovin' fma and it's "OMGFIGHTSCENE" or "OMGSADSCENE" and the random lol moments in between xD

loving it.
May 5, 2009 4:28 PM

Jun 2008
I loved it!

The Al "tears" were a great effect, as well.
May 5, 2009 10:07 PM

Dec 2008
This time go round it just seems more depressing and angsty than the first series, or the manga. I mean, I just re-read all the chapters to straighten up what info came from what 'verse and Brotherhood follows the manga really closely but it still wasn't this dark. Not that I know this series is supposed to be light hearted or anything, but I don't think its supposed to be depressing either. Yeah, this episode is going to be filled with such more so than others, but still.

On the other note, I do like how the action scenes are elaborated more. That deal with Scar on the stairs was a nice touch, though I wasn't fond of the oversized Cornello in the 2nd esp.
May 5, 2009 10:42 PM

Nov 2007
I just love the effect of "muryoku" added to Roy.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 6, 2009 2:55 PM

Sep 2008
Winry next episode ^o^

May 6, 2009 3:40 PM

Mar 2009
Best episode yet. ^^ I lol'ed a few times through out the episode. xD

I agree, the animation quality looks great, particularly in this episode.

Didn't really like Winry in the first series. Perhaps she'll be more likable this time around?
May 6, 2009 5:18 PM

Feb 2009
--5/5--

It was the best episode yet, great adaptation from manga. The animation is really getting better and better.

Winry next episode, I can't wait !! <3

OFF: Once more time - People should stop comparing the two series....
May 6, 2009 7:03 PM

Oct 2007
It's an awesome episode. I'm happy with how fast it's going. I can't wait to see Winry and her wrench.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 64 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jul 4, 2010

1000 by KitsuFrost »»
Yesterday, 3:03 AM

Poll: » Favorite op?

infinite_Shadows - Sep 14

26 by Mualani »»
Sep 25, 6:47 AM

» Favorite moment // Episode

Salvaged - Sep 16

38 by Mualani »»
Sep 25, 6:42 AM

Poll: » I'm the only one who likes 5th opening more ?

Kishorklr - Sep 11

40 by Gear707 »»
Sep 17, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Apr 26, 2009

453 by Ankibank »»
Sep 15, 10:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.