Forum Settings
Forums

Toonami to Air 'Akira', 'Summer Wars', 'Full Metal Alchemist', and 'Trigun' Movies

New
Nov 15, 2013 10:41 PM

Feb 2012
According to an announcement on Toonami's official tumblr page, the following films will be airing on Toonami in December of this year.

December 7th: "Akira"

December 14th: "Summer Wars"

December 21st: "Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa"

December 28th: "Trigun: Badlands Rumble"

Source: Toonami tumblr page

Story by Battlechili1
myanimelistllcMay 1, 2016 9:25 AM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 15, 2013 10:43 PM

Feb 2012
Big name movies all December then Space Dandy and Naruto Shippuden in Janurary. Toonami is really stepping it up.
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Nov 15, 2013 10:54 PM
Jul 2018
I actually submitted this earlier and Dubois rejected it saying it wasn't newsworthy enough to get its own thread.

:/

Anywho, looking forward to this. Especially Akira, as I haven't seen it. I think FMA: Conqueror of Shamballa was an odd choice considering its the end of the original FMA rather than Brotherhood, what Toonami's been airing.
Nov 15, 2013 11:00 PM

Aug 2012
People still watch Toonami?

Kids these days.
Nov 15, 2013 11:01 PM

Jan 2009
the only problem i have is why they did not show the latest Full Metal Alchemist movie instead

but im glad anime is getting more attention
Nov 15, 2013 11:03 PM

Mar 2012
Battlechili1 said:
looking forward to this. Especially Akira, as I haven't seen it.

Imagine if Toonami never got shitcanned and was still running during primetime.
Half of Akira would've been cut for broadcast.

Even then, you'd probably be better-off watching a hard copy just so you don't have commercial breaks interrupting an already-hard-to-follow movie.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Nov 15, 2013 11:07 PM

Feb 2012
Battlechili1 said:
I actually submitted this earlier and Dubois rejected it saying it wasn't newsworthy enough to get its own thread.

I'll message him asking why he denied. Sorry about that.
Wind_SrNov 15, 2013 11:10 PM
Nov 15, 2013 11:10 PM

Jun 2012
I guess this is good news, I'd like to see Akira and Badlands Rumble again.

Toonami should try to find a show that isn't already massively popular, otherwise I don't really see the point.
Nov 15, 2013 11:13 PM

Feb 2012
MellowJello said:

Kids these days.

Most Saturday nights till I fall asleep :)
Nov 15, 2013 11:15 PM

Jan 2011
Wind_Sr said:
December 7th: "Akira"

Only seen if once and I don't remember much so I'll watch.
Wind_Sr said:
December 14th: "Summer Wars"

KOI KOI! Odd time to broadcast this though.

Always down for FMA goodness.
Wind_Sr said:
December 28th: "Trigun: Badlands Rumble"

Will watch since I haven't seen the dubbed version of it.
j0x said:
the only problem i have is why they did not show the latest Full Metal Alchemist movie instead.

Oh well, I like the Wrath vs Gluttony fight in this one anyway.
[center]
Nov 15, 2013 11:25 PM

May 2011
Damn, those are some nice movies they're showing. Haven't seen any of them either.

MellowJello said:

Kids these days.

For me, it's all about the nostalgia. If it weren't for Toonami, I likely wouldn't be posting in this thread right now.
Nov 15, 2013 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
Houndtwo said:

Toonami should try to find a show that isn't already massively popular, otherwise I don't really see the point.

Back when they aired Casshern Sins it was kind of something unknown, but it seems like since then everything is popular stuff.

MellowJello said:

Kids these days.

I love watching anime on Toonami.
Negative-Travis said:

Even then, you'd probably be better-off watching a hard copy just so you don't have commercial breaks interrupting an already-hard-to-follow movie.

Eh, the commercial breaks are a small loss. It won't be heavily censored thankfully (it being on Adult Swim now and all) and I'll get to watch it with other people and post about it as it airs. It'll be fun.
Nov 16, 2013 12:12 AM

Nov 2011
Oh God, this brings me back to my childhood.
Nov 16, 2013 12:22 AM

Nov 2012
I still have not seen Akira. May decide to watch it. Glad they're finally airing Conqueror of Shamballa. If by chance some fans of the old series still haven't discovered the Internet, they'll finally get to see the real conclusion to the series.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Nov 16, 2013 12:24 AM

May 2008
Toonami really is stepping up their game now, First The current lineup and now the movies for December. That Q&A session that aired cleared a couple of questions and hinted the movies for december.
Nov 16, 2013 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder how that's going to effect the other shows. Not Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece. I really hope they move Soul Eater around to keep it going, I can't wait a whole month without new episodes of that. FLCL will be done by then and who cares about Star War Clone Wars, so maybe they'll just move Soul Eater and SAO back a half an hour or hour to accommodate the movies.
Nov 16, 2013 4:44 AM
Aug 2013
Not bad
something is happening at least on tv
Nov 16, 2013 5:13 AM

Oct 2011
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
Nov 16, 2013 5:59 AM

May 2013
Nice. Can't wait to be watching these movies on Toonami.
Nov 16, 2013 6:04 AM

Sep 2011
Houndtwo said:

space dandy

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 16, 2013 6:11 AM

Apr 2011
Are these going to be dubbed? :/
Nov 16, 2013 7:22 AM
May 2012
Wind_Sr said:
Big name movies all December then Space Dandy and Naruto Shippuden in Janurary. Toonami is really stepping it up.

Yeah good for them.
Nov 16, 2013 7:41 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Pretty awesome. Summer wars is the best anime movie I know.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 16, 2013 7:47 AM
Jul 2012
Will watch Akira since I have an intrest on trying it out since it is quite different.
Might watch Summer Wars, but I don't know it quite fits to be on there.
not watching fma movie.
Can't watch trigun since I haven't watch trigun tv show before.

Finally this will step up from a lack of good shows to watch other than popular shows or seen it bunch of times. End of 2013-2014 will do a excellent job if this countiunes from going forward. Keep it going.
Nov 16, 2013 7:55 AM

Sep 2011
DarknessOfEmo said:
Will watch Akira since I have an intrest on trying it out since it is quite different.
not watching fma movie.

Finally this will step up from a lack of good shows to watch other than popular shows or seen it bunch of times. End of 2013-2014 will do a excellent job if this countiunes from going forward. Keep it going.
Summer wars is a perfect fit, and you really dont need to have seen trigun to watch or enjoy badlands rumble, its a standalone story

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 16, 2013 8:09 AM
Jul 2012
JizzyHitler said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
not watching fma movie.

Summer wars is a perfect fit, and you really dont need to have seen trigun to watch or enjoy badlands rumble, its a standalone story

Oh. That's cool. Then I will watch the movie since the synopsis of the movie and the show is quite cool. Will see the tv show after I watched the movie to see if I liked Trigun.

Now I think about it, you're right on Summer Wars fits there since it has sci-fi on there. I have to think about if I want to watch this since first I don't to watch this, but the synopsis is kinda intresting.
Nov 16, 2013 8:54 AM

Nov 2012
Glad Toonami is getting their groove back, but when are they going to air Inuyasha: The Final Act? Instead of all these anime that Adult Swim aired years ago. (Old Inuyasha, Naruto, One Piece, FLCL etc). I want to see new anime on there. And I don't like getting up at 5-6 just to watch some old Inuyasha Lol but I do it anyways.
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Nov 16, 2013 9:31 AM
Feb 2012
It's funny because they're all under Funi's distributions, which is how Toonami is able to present these in the future.
DarkAngelz said:

... they were all dubbed years before. The Blu-ray/DVD releases of these films from Funi have both original and dubbed. ... and I don't recall Toonami presenting content in its original language (not saying that Toonami presenting Anime dubbed is a bad thing, but it's been like this since the beginning.)
filmftw1Nov 16, 2013 9:36 AM
Nov 16, 2013 11:02 AM
Nov 2009
Is Toonami only in the US?
Nov 16, 2013 11:17 AM

Sep 2011
DarknessOfEmo said:
JizzyHitler said:
DarknessOfEmo said:
not watching fma movie.

Oh. That's cool. Then I will watch the movie since the synopsis of the movie and the show is quite cool. Will see the tv show after I watched the movie to see if I liked Trigun.

Now I think about it, you're right on Summer Wars fits there since it has sci-fi on there. I have to think about if I want to watch this since first I don't to watch this, but the synopsis is kinda interesting.
You might as well just watch trigun right now before the film, its a great series, its a series that really goes places you wouldnt expect at first and handles a vast array of emotions. Its probably one of the darkest shows toonami ever aired

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 16, 2013 11:18 AM

Nov 2012
To read or watch Akira..... That is the question. Too bad I can't make up my decision.
Nov 16, 2013 11:43 AM
Mar 2013
Battlechili1 said:

:/

Fixed. I've PM'd you about this.
Nov 16, 2013 1:04 PM

Aug 2010
This is really cool.

I still need to watch Akira.

I loved Summer Wars. Any anime fan should watch it.

No comment on the FMA film, but I think Toonami should have aired the Brotherhood film.

Oooh, I'm most excited for the Trigun film, since I really enjoyed the show.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Nov 16, 2013 1:17 PM

Jan 2013
Unit-01 said:
To read or watch Akira..... That is the question. Too bad I can't make up my decision.

Film>manga.

Manga is forgettable. The comparison is even bigger in Ghost in the shell film vs manga. Forget the manga even exists.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Nov 16, 2013 1:46 PM
Sep 2012
Negative-Travis said:
Battlechili1 said:

As someone who's just seen the movie for the first time yesterday, to call the film "hard to follow" is a great overstatement. Maybe the ending warrants a bit of confusing, but the story is pretty easy to follow along with if you pay attention to every piece of dialogue.
"I got a life in my grip, she holding tight to my wrist
She screaming: "Don't let me slip"
She see the tears in my eyes, I see the fear on her lips"
Nov 16, 2013 2:09 PM

Jun 2013
Can't wait! I hear Akira and Summer Wars are some of the best anime movies around.
My signature is lame...
Nov 16, 2013 2:10 PM

Sep 2011
ShatteredWorld said:
Negative-Travis said:
Battlechili1 said:

As someone who's just seen the movie for the first time yesterday, to call the film "hard to follow" is a great overstatement. Maybe the ending warrants a bit of confusing, but the story is pretty easy to follow along with if you pay attention to every piece of dialogue.
akira isnt that hard to follow if your paying attention, but then that ending happens and fucks everything up.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 16, 2013 2:14 PM

Mar 2011
"Full Metal"? Better than "Full-Metal", though.
Nov 16, 2013 3:36 PM

Sep 2011
oh just saying, if showing akira is fine then they better show sword of the stranger one day

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 16, 2013 4:57 PM
Dec 2007
moomoonya1 said:
Glad Toonami is getting their groove back, but when are they going to air Inuyasha: The Final Act? Instead of all these anime that Adult Swim aired years ago. (Old Inuyasha, Naruto, One Piece, FLCL etc). I want to see new anime on there. And I don't like getting up at 5-6 just to watch some old Inuyasha Lol but I do it anyways.

They can't air what they don't have.
Nov 16, 2013 5:03 PM
Dec 2007
Houndtwo said:

The point is to get viewers,and they won't be able to unless a show is massively popular.
Nov 16, 2013 5:17 PM

Nov 2012
joe-anime said:
moomoonya1 said:

I'm asking when they are going to. Not "why aren't they airing it". I don't care if it's in late 2014, I just want to know when since it's been out for a 3-4 years already.
"Hey, assbutt!"—Castiel, Supernatural

"Do you ever have a problem where you just don't know how to reply to an argument-- not because you don't know the answer, but you just don't where to begin? Like, the foundation of knowledge you'd need to impart to this person before you could even begin to drag them out of their sinkhole of ignorance would cost thousands of dollars, if it were coming from a University?" -MAL in a nutshell.
Nov 16, 2013 6:35 PM
Dec 2007
moomoonya1 said:
joe-anime said:
moomoonya1 said:

I'm asking when they are going to. Not "why aren't they airing it". I don't care if it's in late 2014, I just want to know when since it's been out for a 3-4 years already.

Toonami won't say anything unless they get it.
Nov 16, 2013 7:41 PM
Mar 2009
Wot.

I haven't seen Conqueror of Shamballa yet, so this is great friggin news to me.
Nov 16, 2013 9:31 PM

Apr 2010
Summer Wars is the only one I haven't seen from that list so I'll check that out. I also wish it would've been the more recent FMA movie. I honestly did not care much for Conquerors of Shamballa.
Nov 17, 2013 2:34 AM

Jun 2011
oh very nice line up toonami, i see they're stepping up their game. ;)
Nov 17, 2013 5:39 AM

Apr 2011
filmftw1 said:
It's funny because they're all under Funi's distributions, which is how Toonami is able to present these in the future.
DarkAngelz said:

... they were all dubbed years before. The Blu-ray/DVD releases of these films from Funi have both original and dubbed. ... and I don't recall Toonami presenting content in its original language (not saying that Toonami presenting Anime dubbed is a bad thing, but it's been like this since the beginning.)

Oh my bad - didn't mean : Is Funi dubbing them-
I meant, Will they be shown dubbed?
Well, you answered that too. It was just a clarifying question. I was 95% sure it would be dub... and because I prefer sub, there was a :/ at the end. Just checking.

Also, I heard somewhere that OP won't be showing during December... which leads me to believe that it's because of those movies...

Whether this is true or not:

Anyone know the schedule? What shows will air when, and what time slots the movies will take up?

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongNov 19, 2013 10:57 AM
Nov 17, 2013 11:05 AM
OG Rewriter

Aug 2009
j0x said:
the only problem i have is why they did not show the latest Full Metal Alchemist movie instead

but im glad anime is getting more attention

I saw FMA: Sacred Star of Milos on Netflix, along with Trigun: Badlands Rumble, so if you have Netflix look for it on there, and some of the anime on there has dual audio, if you wanna watch with subtitles. I'll definitely be tuning in to watch Conquerer of Shamballa because I have yet to see it, along with Akira and Summer Wars.
Nov 17, 2013 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
DarkAngelz said:
Also, I heard somewhere that OP won't be showing during December... which leads me to believe that it's because of those movies...

Whether this is true or not:

Anyone know the schedule? What shows will air when, and what time slots the movies will take up?

The schedule isn't out yet, last I checked.
The schedules should be out soon though.
Nov 17, 2013 3:23 PM

Oct 2011
If I had to guess. Bleach, One Piece, Soul Eater and Sword Art Online will still air. Since Naruto will end on Nov 30. Not sure what will replace its time slot since Shippuden starts in January with Space Dandy. But at 3am is when they will air the movie that week.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Musicians Sayuri, Amaarashi Announce Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Mar 18

6 by kizumi91 »»
41 minutes ago

» Manga 'Gorilla no Kami kara Kago sareta Reijou wa Ouritsu Kishidan de Kawaigarareru' Gets TV Anime in 2025

Vindstot - Sep 24

5 by malvarez1 »»
48 minutes ago

» 'Akuyaku Reijou Tensei Ojisan' Reveals Supporting Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

2 by malvarez1 »»
48 minutes ago

» Video Game 'Decapolice' Gets TV Anime in 2026

DatRandomDude - Sep 24

6 by malvarez1 »»
49 minutes ago

» 'Kinnikuman: Kanpeki Chоujin Shiso-hen' Season 2 Announced for Winter 2025

Vindstot - Sep 22

7 by malvarez1 »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.