Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 14, 2012 2:12 PM

Sep 2008
ZagDrassil said:
Hello everyone, I am new here :).

koreye said:
Gjkl345 said:
I don't understand the Un and Ah concept. Given they live simultaniously without one dying from the other's certian needs suchas how Ah needs silence to feed off of and Un needs noise that is readily supplied by the world around them, how the hell did the plot ender of the lava hand sounds work? Do the Ah hate direct sound contact or something? So no one's spoken to him upfront and personal? Hmm this is the only conclusion I can come up with, fascinating story, but I truly do want to make sense of it more. If anyone can help me with this, please respond right away, even if this forum is pretty dead by now I suppose and I might be ignorant for not understanding it fully. My bads.

just finished watching it. Might be a problem with the subs, but the way I got it is: Ah feeds off the silence that Un creates by feeding off all the sound from the surroundings. Ah lives through that silence, which is created when Un absorbs all the sounds from the surroundings (except for mushi sounds). That is how they co-exist, or rather that is why Ah follows Un. So the only thing that should work against Ah is sound, and the sound of ones own "vitality" is something that cannot be completely absorbed (unless the person is weakened, like mahos mum).

I agree with interpretation of symbiosis between Un and Ah, but (just as Gjkl345) I think that remedy against Ah was illogical. Both of Maho and his mother covered theirs ears before Ginko had came. I suppose that Maho's mother didn't win against Ah, because she didn't lost her horns. I construe that the silence of her last day was just a consequence of change of Ah's host. So what was a remedy? Focusing on own body sounds? I don't think so - when You isolate noises, its natural to hear own heartbeating or breath. Therefore, in my opinion, this solution doesn't have any sense. Deus ex machina.

I dont think so. The remedy is not just the sound of body or any sound, but the sound of 'vitality', and that can only work when Ah has followed Un, resulting in horns growing in the head. as surrounding sounds cannot reach the ears, sound of 'vitality is needed to 'kill' Ah. Notice that at the time mahos mom and maho put their hands on the ears, Ah had infested the mother (the symptom of which is growing of horns), and Maho was only suffering from 'Un' (no sound). Putting hands on the ears did not work for the mom cuz she was weakened (as GInko points it out towards the end), and it did not work on Maho at that time because he was only suffering from 'Un' and not 'Ah'...it worked on Maho muhc LATER after he got infested by Ah and grew horns because he was not in the final stages, and had more 'vitality'
Which means, that if Un infests the ears, the only solution is to find an Ah and let it infest the ears as well, and then use sound of your 'body' to cure yourself, if the sound is strong enough. Its like a paper scissor rock thing, Ah overcomes Un, which is cured by sound.

I have not seen the ep in over an year, but that is what I remember (anyone is free to correct if I'm wrong)
eyerokOct 14, 2012 2:20 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 20, 2012 1:06 PM

Sep 2010
I like how this show has taken strange every day things, but subtle things and woven them into the supernatural. Things you see when you close your eyes and things you hear when its really quiet.
OomyungJan 9, 2013 6:26 AM
Oct 26, 2012 3:54 AM

May 2012
Amazing episode, really great story and an amazing pace!
Nov 3, 2012 7:21 PM
May 2012
The whooshing sound actually comes from your internal carotid arteries bringing blood to your brain.
Dec 3, 2012 12:02 PM

Dec 2012
As others have said, I'm really enjoying the slow, peaceful feel of this show. It makes the supernatural stuff all the more creepy and effective. It reminds me a lot of Kino's Journey with each individual episode being its own little story. Great stuff, and I'm looking forward to learning more about those interestingly creepy little Mushi, lol
Jan 8, 2013 4:21 PM

Dec 2010
Great episode, I start to love this anime too. Also, it has some great pictures, like the snowy mountains in this episode :3 :3 :3 Man, I just want to watch more and more...

fudgy said:
Kittenia said:
I actually covered my ears and could hear it.

THIS.
I'm so in love with this show so farrrr~

THIS!
Jan 9, 2013 6:20 PM

May 2012
I'm becoming addicted to this show!!!! XD

Feb 4, 2013 8:18 AM

Jan 2012
Wow, such a beautiful episode.

Mar 5, 2013 8:46 PM

Sep 2011
Kittenia said:
I actually covered my ears and could hear it.

True fact.

Anyways, started off pretty slow, but it got better towards the end. Seeing the horns just fall off like that was just so weird... LOL
Apr 3, 2013 6:23 PM
Jul 2018
The snow was beautiful in this episode.
May 18, 2013 8:46 PM

Jun 2008
Ah man, it is the sound of lava when you cover your ears. What a beautiful show this is.
May 29, 2013 8:46 AM

May 2013
brakesforturtles said:
Ah man, it is the sound of lava when you cover your ears. What a beautiful show this is.

It's one of the more thoughtfull written series.. It manages to create a peacefull atmosphere around thing's that would be found ''creepy'' otherwise.
Jun 12, 2013 10:10 AM

Dec 2012
fiane said:
I covered my ears and I hear wind blowing through a cave. I guess this kinda things are personal...

For me it has always been the sound of the sea when you are under water :) Never thought it sounds like lava too. But the sound of fire and rain can be similar too if you think about it, which makes everything even more magical.

This show is like snow. Pieceful and powerful, calm and terrifying in the same time. It's pure poetry...
Jul 15, 2013 12:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Maho is such an adorable kid. I love the part when he sneaks to go outside and turns around and is surprised by Ginko. This anime is really interesting, like the second eyelid, or the sound you hear when you cover your ears. I've covered my ears before, but have never thought of it sounding like lava. It's kind of weirdly calming if you think about it that way.
Jul 19, 2013 8:37 AM

Jul 2013
marywhistley said:
fiane said:
I covered my ears and I hear wind blowing through a cave. I guess this kinda things are personal...

For me it has always been the sound of the sea when you are under water :) Never thought it sounds like lava too. But the sound of fire and rain can be similar too if you think about it, which makes everything even more magical.

This show is like snow. Pieceful and powerful, calm and terrifying in the same time. It's pure poetry...

Well personally i always thought it as "cave sound" but i guess it can be interpreted many ways.
Jul 22, 2013 12:33 AM

Jan 2013
Loving this show so far. The atmosphere of this episode with the snow and everything was wonderful, sharp contrast to the "lava" we hear when covering our ears. Those little Mushi seem so innocuous and innocent but are actually very unintentionally malignant (oxymoron?).

The interactions between Ginko and the other characters in this series are excellent, I will not tire of the dialogue that is for sure.

Also, like others in this thread I immediately thought FLCL when I saw the horns and was half expecting there to be a Rickenbacker shaped Mushi.
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
Aug 7, 2013 1:13 AM

Aug 2012
Maho has such a cute voice! (jap. ver.) I'm starting to like this anime more each time I watch an episode so far. The anime is really calming in a way. The snow is just beautiful and the sound of lava is very calming. I would definitely fall asleep to that sound. The music is very beautiful too. Very soothing.
I never thought the horns would fall off. I thought they were just going to go back inside his head.
Can't wait to watch more episodes. Loving this. n_n
Aug 10, 2013 2:33 PM

Sep 2009
Aww' I feel for them. Try imagining it .. like you're also listening to lava. It feels weird. like there's a water inside you and when you try to move, you can hear it and it's very weird and and and.. you know what I mean :D
Aug 22, 2013 9:54 AM
Jul 2013
Episodes like this with, a mother figure always brings me to tears
Sep 2, 2013 10:18 PM

Mar 2012
Another great episode, now I'm on board the Mushishi train :)
Dec 1, 2013 2:46 PM

Nov 2013
This is a bit late, but I hope someone can answer it!

I understand that the Ah dies when it hears the sound of your vitality, so what makes the Un die as well? Since the Un feeds on sound, it should stay alive from the sound of your vitality, right? I guess you could say that the Un only feeds on noise from your surroundings (rather than the noise of your vitality), but if so, then you could just cover your ears (thus blocking surrounding noise and kill off the Un without needing to be infected by the Ah.
Jan 11, 2014 7:53 AM

Sep 2012
Tienjt said:
This is a bit late, but I hope someone can answer it!

I understand that the Ah dies when it hears the sound of your vitality, so what makes the Un die as well? Since the Un feeds on sound, it should stay alive from the sound of your vitality, right? I guess you could say that the Un only feeds on noise from your surroundings (rather than the noise of your vitality), but if so, then you could just cover your ears (thus blocking surrounding noise and kill off the Un without needing to be infected by the Ah.

Covering your ears doesn't create complete silence, and that little sound from the body is exactly what kills Ah.
And what kills Un is salt.
Feb 4, 2014 4:24 AM
May 2012
I can already see that this is going to be one of my favourite animes.. it's creepy, but also beautiful and full of world's wonders..

This episode was extra beautiful with all the snow silently falling, but I have to admit that the way Ah dies seems still a little bit confusing to me. Does it die if the person with the horns himself covers his own ears, or does it have to be someone else to to do the covering? I don't really understand the way it dies.. If someone can answer this, I'm really thankful!
Feb 5, 2014 10:06 PM

Oct 2013
so deep. love dat shiet.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 17, 2014 12:13 PM

Oct 2013
Some of the things I don't understand get explained here, thank you for those who explained! I'm glad I lurked around the episode discussion after I watch the said episode.

brakesforturtles said:
Mar 1, 2014 7:27 PM
Jun 2012
I don't get it.
The Ah dies when he hears the sound of one's vitality(hand), isn't it?
But Maho did it often, and it didn't work.
Ginko also asked for Maho to put his hands on his ears, but couldn't he do it himself?
Why the hand trick only worked after Ginko told him?
Mar 11, 2014 4:07 AM

Sep 2008
lotusgg said:
I don't get it.
The Ah dies when he hears the sound of one's vitality(hand), isn't it?
But Maho did it often, and it didn't work.
Ginko also asked for Maho to put his hands on his ears, but couldn't he do it himself?
Why the hand trick only worked after Ginko told him?
Makum said:
I can already see that this is going to be one of my favourite animes.. it's creepy, but also beautiful and full of world's wonders..

This episode was extra beautiful with all the snow silently falling, but I have to admit that the way Ah dies seems still a little bit confusing to me. Does it die if the person with the horns himself covers his own ears, or does it have to be someone else to to do the covering? I don't really understand the way it dies.. If someone can answer this, I'm really thankful!

Un absorbs surrounding sounds, Ah follows later as it is attracted to the sound vacuum created by Un. Ah is killed by your own vitality (its symptom is growing of horns). When Maho and Maho's mom initially tried putting their hands on their ears, it did not work for the mom because she was weakened and her 'vitality' (and its sound) was not strong enough, and it did not work on Maho because he was only suffering from Un, not Ah. It worked later when GInko told him, because Ah infested his ears later in the episode. Ah is killed by covering the years, not Un.

Litrydow (above) mentions that Un is killed by salt, but I can't recall that piece of info, its been some time since I saw it. I was under the impression that when Un infests the ears, the only solution is to let in Ah and then kill them both off with the sound of body's 'vitality'.

Whether or not someone else has to do the covering of ears is unclear I think, but I presume that it has to be the sound of your own body's 'vitality'
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 16, 2014 4:42 AM

Jun 2013
Coming from a guy who usually only like action/fast paced animes... this show is amazing. The atmosphere and the sounds are just outstanding. I get this really cozy feeling when watching this.. Absolutely love it.
Mar 18, 2014 2:56 AM

Jan 2014

Un absorbs sound. Ah absorbs silence
Un alone can be killed with salt. But if
Ah comes horns grow. And then both
of them can be killed only after listening
to those lava sounds hands can produce.
But the problem is: it didn't work with Maho
all those times he tried it earlier but later on
when Ginko came and told him to do that,
it magically worked. The only plausible thing
I could come up with is that maybe they
couldn't be killed at the beginning because
Maho was only making silence with his hands
then. He just had to move them a bit for the
muscles to produce sound which only then
could kill both. I guess due to Ah being killed
by any kind of sound and Un not being able
to survive with only that small amount of
sound. And that sound couldn't be any other
than the 'vital' one. Great episode, btw. ^_^
Mar 24, 2014 6:49 AM

Sep 2011
the atmosphere in this series is one of a kind

also each episode having a new and utterly beautiful song different than the rest is a nice touch

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 9, 2014 1:10 PM

Oct 2013
I'm having the weirdest boner, lol.
Apr 10, 2014 11:56 AM
Jul 2011
If people are still confused over the how Maho got cured by using the sound of his 'vitality' here's my thoughts on it:

When Ginko has his monologue when trying to find Maho out in the snow, he mentions something along the lines of sounds losing their distinction when there is too much around you; and he reasoned that this, in the extreme, could be the same as sound disappearing. I think Maho and his mother were only infected by the An and not the Un, and the An was feeding off the silence created by the abundance of sound around it that only it could hear (i.e. the cacophony of mushi noises)... which sounds like an oxymoron but thats what Ginko thought.

So by covering your ears, you silence out the vast amount of sounds and instead only lead yourself hear a single sound (the sound of your vitality), and that kills the An...

Thats what I think anyway
Apr 18, 2014 1:26 PM
Aug 2013
good episode. Man even though it's kind of confusing at times, it's still very interesting. Pretty crazy how you can hear lava flow when you cover your ears.
Apr 29, 2014 2:59 PM

Mar 2014
weird series... I love the opening! english lyrics?? SUGOI!!!
May 14, 2014 5:54 PM

Dec 2010
KatsuraRen said:
Loved the concept of hearing lava.
Yeah, it was great.

First a mushi that steal away your sight, and then a mushi that steals away your hearing. It was a nice follow-up.

Maho's voice was great.

Zell182 said:
I love how this series is both peaceful but disturbing at the same time
Yeah, this makes it feel really credible.
May 20, 2014 7:01 PM

Jun 2012
This series really makes you think.

The soundtrack is just great too. All of the ED songs so far have been so nice and tranquil.
Jun 18, 2014 8:29 AM

Jun 2011
KatsuraRen said:
Loved the concept of hearing lava.

Yea... I was surprised Ginko didn't ask the granny why she didn't mention anything about her daughter though.
Jul 14, 2014 10:56 PM

Oct 2013
wow interesting as fuck little bit of feels for the mother though :,<
[/quote]
Aug 13, 2014 6:25 AM

Jan 2014
Another beautiful episode!
Aug 19, 2014 7:22 PM

Dec 2011

These rare moments of humour and adorableness.❤
Sep 2, 2014 1:01 AM

Jan 2014
I loved it.
Great music, and obligatory snow episode was actually beautiful
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2014 5:26 PM

Aug 2012
Guess the Mushi don't only affect children. This show is super calming to watch right before going to sleep.
Sep 30, 2014 8:11 AM
💉 🩸 🩹 💖 🏥

Feb 2012
fuven said:
Guess the Mushi don't only affect children. This show is super calming to watch right before going to sleep.

I did this last night. I agree. Without a doubt it's definitely best when the entire house is silent.

Oh, question. Wasn't it someone elses life vitality that caused the An to ooze out or was it just what the mother was seeking? How did the boy get it out with his own hands then? with his own "laval" i presume?
"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

Oct 5, 2014 6:39 PM

Feb 2013
So, how many of you put your hands over your ears at some point during this episode?
Oct 18, 2014 2:35 AM

Oct 2013
BurntJelly said:
So, how many of you put your hands over your ears at some point during this episode?

I did it after the episode just to see if it sounds like lava. It does.

Gosh, this show is so relaxing and beautiful. It's like poetry in motion. This just might end up being one of my favorite anime.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 25, 2014 2:58 PM

Oct 2012
Does this show stay like this for the rest of its run?

I'm asking because the show is so good already, it's hard to believe it can stay this consistently amazing over the course of 26+ episodes. I'm taking my time with this show, and it's paying off in spades. Mushishi is awesome.
Nov 7, 2014 6:38 AM

Jan 2014
This would be great for Christmas time.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 11, 2014 1:16 PM

Jun 2014
slow and steady

Dec 18, 2014 5:06 PM

Dec 2013
i know that maybe its to late to comment but i just start watching mushishi and i like it a lot but i don t get how the kid got cured it simply makes no sense , at the begining of the chapter their clearly show you the boy with the horns ( alredy infected by the ah ) covering his ears and then at the end out of the blue he covers his eras again and the "ah" suddenly dies, also i read the other comments when they explain that his mother was too weak to hear the sound of her own vitality but that dosent make sense either she clearly says that she had been doing this since a long time ago coz it reminded her husband, well i have my theories and other doubts but it would be to long for a dead thread i just wanted to clear my doubts hearing other opinions
pd: sorry for the poor english is not my language
Dec 21, 2014 3:30 PM

Nov 2012
I got confused with how the Ah was killed off, but nonetheless the beauty of the episode was expressed clearly.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Cruchyroll no longer has season 1 - where can we stream it instead?

Xinners - Sep 25

6 by Rohan_King »»
Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

289 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 5:19 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

121 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 5:00 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

95 by menacce »»
Sep 23, 4:30 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

178 by menacce »»
Sep 22, 4:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.