Forum Settings
Forums

Would you choose death over a certain situation ?

New
Would you choose death over a certain situation?
May 14, 2013 1:42 PM

Apr 2013
I personally would choose death over :
- Torture
- Lifetime imprisonment
- Becoming an orphan
- Having a deadly cancer and going through therapy
- Being paralyzed
- Losing any limbs unless it is just one leg
- Losing my sight
- Becoming homeless and broke and owning nothing in this world

There is probably more but that all I can think off for now , and I don't mean if you would commit suicide if similar things happened to you I mean before as if you were forced to pick something similar to the things I listed or death. This purely hypothetical of course. Like the saying '' I would rather die before x thing happens to me''.

How much do you value your life ?
Do you think life is worth living if something really terrible happened to you and you have to deal/adapt with it ?
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 14, 2013 1:45 PM

Oct 2009
might only consider it over being paralyzed

otherwise, no
May 14, 2013 1:47 PM

Sep 2011
Nope, I like living too much to not.

Arararraragi-kun said:

- Becoming an orphan

Odd
May 14, 2013 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
I wouldn't choose death over something like a disability or becoming homeless an broke because I could probably learn to adapt to it, I guess.

I would probably prefer death to being tortured or being terminally ill though, as long as the death is quick and painless..
May 14, 2013 1:54 PM
May 2013
Arararraragi-kun said:

- Becoming an orphan

But look at all the good anime that started out because of that
May 14, 2013 1:57 PM

May 2013
this question 2deep4me
"I hate all of you." - Squidward
May 14, 2013 1:58 PM

Dec 2012
TehBlindSamurai said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

- Becoming an orphan

Unfortunately real life is far off from what you see in animes.
May 14, 2013 1:59 PM

Aug 2012
Death death death.

It'd be a huge dinger on my psyche to be impaired bodily or financially, and being in prison for a lifetime or being an orphan just sounds like too much of a bummer.

Although, if I managed to work my way out of those situations (parole, medical technology, adoption, a shot at financial stability, etc.), then I'd stick it out any day.
May 14, 2013 2:03 PM

Mar 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:

- Having a deadly cancer and going through therapy
- Being paralyzed

And rape.

I'd choose death over.

EDIT: If the cancer was untreatable I should say.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 14, 2013 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
What about choosing death over life?
May 14, 2013 2:11 PM

Mar 2011
I imagine there are certain situations where I would choose death rather than some drastic alternative, but I would have thought this much would be true for anyone.
May 14, 2013 2:17 PM
May 2013
IntervisioN said:
TehBlindSamurai said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

- Becoming an orphan

Unfortunately real life is far off from what you see in animes.

I know it's just that sometimes I like to dream that anime and real life can become one.

But jokes aside the only thing that would make me choose death is probably just some really hardcore torture
May 14, 2013 2:18 PM
May 2010
Unless it's infinite painful torture, no.
May 14, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2011
Nicole said:

And rape.

What, really? Not to underplay the severity of rape, but death seems far worse to me. I'm curious, do you think the punishment for rape should be greater than that of murder?
May 14, 2013 2:21 PM

May 2013
Dammit woodstock. dont u kno wut ur getting urself into
May 14, 2013 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
Woodstock said:
Nicole said:

And rape.

What, really? Not to underplay the severity of rape, but death seems far worse to me. I'm curious, do you think the punishment for rape should be greater than that of murder?
Pedophiles and rapists should be punished just as hard as murderers.
May 14, 2013 2:25 PM

Oct 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
- Becoming an orphan

BATMAN would disagree.
May 14, 2013 2:27 PM

Feb 2013
Not really.
I would rather endure any torture or extreme situation than let myself die. I appreciate my life enough to withstand something like that. If I'm going to die, it's because I couldn't resist anymore, not because I chose it.

May 14, 2013 2:28 PM
May 2013
Maor said:
Arararraragi-kun said:
- Becoming an orphan

BATMAN would disagree.

WE CAN'T ALL BE BATMAN"S DAMN IT!!
Some of us only have the potential to be Robin
May 14, 2013 2:31 PM

Apr 2008
Woodstock said:
Nicole said:

And rape.

LOL Just putting this out there, as a straight male I wouldn't rather die than be raped, I mean as awful and harrowing and perhaps mentally scarring as rape is...it's not the end of the world, you live on, you can have an abortion, you can move on with your life, it's not permanently debilitating like paralysis or eternal torture.

In response to Araragi kun - a lot of those problems have remedies nowadays, blindness - you can be fitted with some sort of bionic eyes that let you see the outlines of shapes. Lost your limbs? No problem get prosthetics, you'll be used to them in no time.

Becoming an orphan...well that would suck but I wouldn't commit suicide, homeless/broke - still wouldn't want to die.

The only thing in that list that is probably worse than death is torture and imprisonment (imprisonment depends on the conditions of your imprisonment i.e. solitary confinement in an inhumane box vs a nice spacious prison with a decent library)
May 14, 2013 2:31 PM

Dec 2009
Being paralyzed, coma, etc. some stuff like that yeah.
May 14, 2013 2:35 PM

Mar 2012
Woodstock said:
Nicole said:

And rape.

I've said it before here and I know a lot of people won't agree, but I personally think rape is worst than murder, now I'm also not trying to downplay murder, I know how I'd feel if my mother or sister were killed and I'd be crushed, but I just think that rape can destroy a persons life and sometimes they never recover, sometimes it takes years and years before someone can overcome it. While it might sound a bit harsh, at least you don't really feel pain after you've died.

I think both of them are the worst things that a person can do, I just think rape (to me) is just a little bit worse than murder.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 14, 2013 2:36 PM

Mar 2012
apatch3 said:
you can have an abortion

That's not as easy a decision as you think though.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 14, 2013 2:41 PM

Apr 2008
Okay...well you can take morning after pills, early enough to prevent an abortion?
May 14, 2013 2:41 PM

Apr 2012
I would choose death over torture or becoming blind.
May 14, 2013 2:46 PM

Mar 2012
apatch3 said:
Okay...well you can take morning after pills, early enough to prevent an abortion?

Sure, but I doubt it's the first thing someone thinks of after that happens.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 14, 2013 2:47 PM

Mar 2011
Woah woah woah, rape is worse than murder? Rape is horrible and can leave lasting affects, but murder is so final. Once you're dead you're dead. If you're raped you have the opportunity to eventually get past it and go on to live a happy fulfilling life, but if you're murdered...
May 14, 2013 2:50 PM

Mar 2012
InfiniteRufus said:
Woah woah woah, rape is worse than murder? Rape is horrible and can leave lasting affects, but murder is so final. Once you're dead you're dead. If you're raped you have the opportunity to eventually get past it and go on to live a happy fulfilling life, but if you're murdered...

Yea, I know the arguments against it, it's just my personal opinion, I don't really expect any other people to understand it.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 14, 2013 2:50 PM

May 2013
i would choose death over going blind, lifetime imprisonment, and going deaf.
May 14, 2013 2:51 PM

Feb 2012
I would say torture is worse than murder, but that's about it.
May 14, 2013 2:53 PM

Aug 2011
Yes. I would choose death over becoming paralyzed, being tortured, my whole family being killed, being in a coma, having alzheimer, etc.
May 14, 2013 2:54 PM

May 2013
apatch3 said:
as a straight male

you can have an abortion

im a dirty dirty playing bunny
May 14, 2013 3:10 PM

Apr 2008
Nicole said:
apatch3 said:

Sure, but I doubt it's the first thing someone thinks of after that happens.

Well that's the victim's own fault then, for instance you've just been shot, there's a chance the wound could get infected but since it's not the first thing you think about i.e. you're too traumatised by the experience of being shot you let the wound fester and end up needing a much larger and more complicated medical procedure later on.

No matter how traumatising something is, once it's happened to you, it's your job to take remedial steps.

I think the argument that rape is worse than murder is completely untenable. The justice system would agree; murder = mandatory life sentence while, Rape = discretionary sentence. As infinite Rufus said..The finality of murder means there's absolutely no going back. A doctor can perform an abortion, the human mind can overcome whatever trauma it's put through but necromancers can't raise the dead.

You're entitled to your opinion but I feel you're just raising another feminist straw man the same way you did in the Friendzone thread alleging that the term is a product of male entitlement.
apatch3May 14, 2013 3:26 PM
May 14, 2013 3:53 PM

Mar 2012
apatch3 said:
No matter how traumatising something is, once it's happened to you, it's your job to take remedial steps.
What an absurd view to hold in any context.

I think the argument that rape is worse than murder is completely untenable. The justice system would agree; murder = mandatory life sentence while, Rape = discretionary sentence.
"The justice system agrees" isn't a strong argument, especially when rape, or any other crime that is still largely dismissed or diminished by the justice system, is part of the discussion.

As infinite Rufus said..The finality of murder means there's absolutely no going back.
Didn't know a person could be un-raped.

The human mind can overcome whatever trauma it's put through.
Didn't know you had the authority to speak on every single individual's traumatic experiences and the long-term effects those experiences should or shouldn't have.

I don't even have an opinion on this (I just think the two are different), but I think you aren't accepting that experiences are subjective. What about rape cases where the victim is then bullied (over the course of months or years) into committing suicide? Would you not agree that that's worse than if the victim had just been murdered from the start? Would I personally rather be murdered than be raped? No, I wouldn't. Just don't try to make it black and white, is all I'm saying.
JoshMay 14, 2013 3:58 PM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
May 14, 2013 3:56 PM

Jun 2008
Someone has to be at the end of masochism if there isn't any situation where death is more preferable.

I feel if I get to an old age where I've lost everybody and is lying in a bed somewhere, I'd choose death than the couple of days/months/years I have left over. I assume this would especially be a comforting option if I don't end up with offsprings, or that my offspring did not end up with offsprings and I outlived my offsprings.
May 14, 2013 3:59 PM
Jan 2013
I will only die for the right reason. Fuck this options. (:
May 14, 2013 4:01 PM

May 2013
gissellebatista said:
If I'm going to die, it's because I couldn't resist anymore, not because I chose it.

This. Right. Here.
May 14, 2013 4:08 PM

Apr 2008
Araby said:
apatch3 said:
What an absurd view to hold in any context.

I think the argument that rape is worse than murder is completely untenable. The justice system would agree; murder = mandatory life sentence while, Rape = discretionary sentence.
"The justice system agrees" isn't a strong argument, especially when rape, or any other crime that is still largely dismissed or diminished by the justice system, is part of the discussion.

As infinite Rufus said..The finality of murder means there's absolutely no going back.
Didn't know a person could be un-raped.

The human mind can overcome whatever trauma it's put through.
Didn't know you had the authority to speak on every single individual's traumatic experiences and the long-term effects those experiences should or shouldn't have.

I don't even have an opinion on this (I just think the two are different), but I think you aren't accepting that experiences are subjective. What about rape cases where the victim is then bullied (over the course of months or years) into committing suicide? Would you not agree that that's worse than if the victim had just been murdered from the start? Would I personally rather be murdered than be raped? No, I wouldn't. Just don't try to make it black and white, is all I'm saying.

Disclaimer:

I am speaking in general terms, and enunciating my own opinion on the matter in each instance.

I do not speak for all human beings only my own ideal of what makes a reasonable human being, feel free to disagree but try to justify yourself instead of willfully misconstruing the points I've made.

- A reasonable human takes steps to remedy any injury done to him or her
(Please explain why this is an absurd view? Are we not all responsible for ourselves? - It's absurd to suggest that people aren't responsible for what happens to them if they fail to seek help)

- A reasonable human being can overcome the mental trauma of rape
(most rape victims go on to live the rest of their lives - humans are surprisingly resilient creatures)

- A reasonable human being cannot be unraped but can mitigate the consequences and move on with life, while a reasonable murdered human being has no life to move on with.

IN RESPONSE TO THAT FINAL QUIP

The discretionary sentence would apply in such a scenario it's very possible that a rapist in extreme circumstances like that would be sentenced more harshly than a murderer, but the starting point is discretion (as opposed to mandatory life).

While it's true that rape is under-reported this is not the Justice System's fault but the Victim's fault for being too ashamed to talk about it - rape is a crime not only to the victim but to society at large and the victim is under a moral duty to report rape at the same time the state sympathizes with the victim and will obviously never require them to do so.
apatch3May 14, 2013 4:15 PM
May 14, 2013 4:30 PM

Jul 2012
i rather die than see something horrible happen to my mother. rape me torture me i don't care. just not my mom.
May 14, 2013 5:09 PM

Dec 2008
I'd probably kill myself if I was blind, horribly disfigured, or sentenced to life in prison. Stuff like that.
May 14, 2013 5:12 PM

Feb 2013
Stupid topic...

Give in to Death over anything...you're a puss. It takes strength to have the will to pull through the worst of experiences. It's easy enough to say you'd rather die until you're looking Death in the eye. At least have the guts to fight whatever it is 'til the end. At least then you don't have to go out like a chump.

Whether it be you're surrounded by a thousand foes, fighting off a disease or being fucked in the ass by the Booty Warrior. Stand up and fight.

Death'll have to come and try to take my life, because I ain't giving that punk shit.
May 14, 2013 5:14 PM
May 2010
Ntad said:
Stupid topic...

Give in to Death over anything...you're a puss. It takes strength to have the will to pull through the worst of experiences. It's easy enough to say you'd rather die until you're looking Death in the eye. At least have the guts to fight whatever it is 'til the end. At least then you don't have to go out like a chump.

Whether it be you're surrounded by a thousand foes, fighting off a disease or being fucked in the ass by the Booty Warrior. Stand up and fight.

Death'll have to come and try to take my life, because I ain't giving that punk shit.
Seems you have taken my advice.

Anyway, easier said than done.
May 14, 2013 5:21 PM

Feb 2013
LanaNi said:
Ntad said:
Stupid topic...

Seems you have taken my advice.

Anyway, easier said than done.

I only speak from experience...

I had an episode when I was 13...I can't remember it too well but I DO remember my mom telling me that I was freaking out on the couch after having fallen asleep when I got home from school that day and screaming "I DON'T WANT TO DIE" over and over. I ended up being hospitalized for a couple of days...that's all I remember.

It might have just been a nightmare but it was that event that helped me accept my mortality. I don't fear Death anymore...but I also don't welcome it.

And no, it has nothing to do with finding Jesus. I don't identify with any religion.

I'll do whatever the fuck I can to survive til the end...period.
NTADMay 14, 2013 5:24 PM
May 14, 2013 5:26 PM

Nov 2009
Saying that you would prefer death over something is honestly not something one can say seriously unless they have truly faced their own mortality, alot of people never actually face their own mortality and due to this don't know the fear of death (it's actually very difficult for humans to wrap their minds around the concept of death) ... Trust me, their is almost no situation where you wouldn't be clinging on the the hope that you will live ... if you can name such situations where you would rather die (unless extremely gruesome) and aren't just talking out of your ass, then you should probably seek psychological help since you would also be admitting to being at high risk of committing suicide or stuff like that.

Arararraragi-kun said:
- Becoming an orphan

Pirating_NinjaMay 14, 2013 5:29 PM
May 14, 2013 7:02 PM

Mar 2012
daintybiscuit said:
i rather die than see something horrible happen to my mother. rape me torture me i don't care. just not my mom.

This too, I don't think I could bear watching anything happen to my mother or my sister.
"If you love someone
Follow your heart
Cause love comes once
If you’re lucky enough"
May 14, 2013 7:11 PM

Feb 2013
"Hey Mom! Guess what? I decided it'd be better off if I were dead than have to see you go through any kind of crisis or harrowing ordeal! Isn't that great?! I take the easy way out and you still have to deal with whatever it is YOU'RE dealing with PLUS the grief you'll end up having to suffer over my death! No thanks needed, it's all because I love you so much!"

Best gift ever.
May 14, 2013 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
Overestimating our petty lives, life is only worth living if you got someone to live for and to call those that perhaps have lost everything in life weak because they chose death? I'd give those who actually have the balls to go through with it credit rather than spit on them for being weaklings.
May 14, 2013 7:15 PM

Feb 2013
Amadyeus said:
Overestimating our petty lives, life is only worth living if you got someone to live for and to call those that perhaps have lost everything in life weak because they chose death? I'd give those who actually have the balls to go through with it credit rather than spit on them for being weaklings.

Our? Speak for yourself, brah. Sucks that your life is so petty. Mine's pretty damn sweet cause I wake up every damn day and realize that I'm still alive.

And it feels fucking great.
May 14, 2013 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
I bet it does.
May 14, 2013 7:25 PM

Feb 2013
Amadyeus said:
I bet it does.

Damn right it does. I get to wake up, stretch, go to work, eat food that's unquestionably bad for me, come home, watch anime, talk shit on MAL, maybe read a book or 3, curse my EX for being a cheat, eat a bagel (like a boss) and then do all that shit over again with maybe a few alterations here or there.

And I'm not giving up any of it without a fight. If I died before MY mom, she'd kill me.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» スキンケア事は男性にとって必要でしょうか? is skin care necessary for men ?

ISeeLifePeople - Yesterday

13 by Yuno »»
39 minutes ago

» Why do people feel bored ? どうして人間は退屈を感じるのでしょうか?

ISeeLifePeople - 45 minutes ago

2 by rohan121 »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Today

19 by Serafos »»
48 minutes ago

» I believe in solipsism. Is that crazy?

purple_rayn - 6 hours ago

15 by Serafos »»
55 minutes ago

» How often do you go to the gym or workout in general?

ZakuF_ - 6 hours ago

9 by Serafos »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.