Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 11, 2013 8:50 PM

Feb 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Koalaman is boss
May 11, 2013 9:02 PM
Apr 2013
Damn! Nothing really happened until the last five minutes, but I felt tense watching the whole episode!
May 11, 2013 9:11 PM

Oct 2008
gedata said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Koalaman is boss
Indeed he is.
May 11, 2013 9:14 PM

May 2008
Can't wait for next ep.
May 11, 2013 9:14 PM

Oct 2011
Filler, filler, filler and more filler.....
May 11, 2013 9:17 PM

Mar 2013
DAMN.This was an awesome episode,I really expected that they would censor more,glad they didnt.There was filler,but it was good filler.
May 11, 2013 9:43 PM
Jul 2012
That koala dude is a badass. :p Looks like some shit is gonna go down next ep and gon and comp meets up with ponzu and comp :D
May 11, 2013 9:51 PM

Jul 2010
I was hoping for no fillers (at least for now) to be honest :/ but well it wasnt bad.It was actually pretty good, its just that i prefer to see original material.I mean who dont.
Anyways, Koalaman seems to be first Chimera that i actually like.
May 11, 2013 10:21 PM
Feb 2013
iLostReason said:
I was hoping for no fillers (at least for now) to be honest :/ but well it wasnt bad.It was actually pretty good, its just that i prefer to see original material.I mean who dont.

How are these fillers? This episode introduces Meleoron (one of the most important Chimera Ant in the arc) and Gon & friends entered NGL for the first time. This is a buildup episode, certainly containing IMPORTANT part of the arc.
May 11, 2013 10:24 PM
Feb 2013
fearthebeard85 said:

So what do you expect to see?
May 11, 2013 10:32 PM

Apr 2013
Keep calm & enjoy the fillers!
I mean srsly, there are only two arcs to animate :(
May 11, 2013 10:45 PM
May 2013
This episode did at least adapt properly the fall of the "shadowy ruler" of the NLG, which was mostly guide book material but not nearly as detailed in the manga. It fleshed out many Ants personalities, which will be very important to the plot later on. While this may seem like pointless padding, it is needed (and I hope they will do the same to the parts Togashi rushed towards the end of the arc).

But I expected them to be done with

Come to think of it, unless I'm mistaken, wasn't HxH banned at one point in South Korea for its parody of North Korea (which will be more blatant as the story progresses)? How then did they animate it there?

About the ending...

The whole Chimera Ants arc draws many similarities to on of the story arcs of Togashi's earlier stellar yet sadly short-lived work, Level E. Episode 4 in the animated adaptation.
MonteGabarMay 11, 2013 10:51 PM
May 11, 2013 11:01 PM

Jan 2009
mediocre episode, come on madhouse
May 11, 2013 11:01 PM

Jun 2009
fearthebeard85 said:

If so it was very gripping filler. I mean, these Ants are very interesting so far. Especially Koalaman. Can't wait for when the King shows up. But, considering the Royal Guards haven't even been introduced, it'll probably still be a while. Just a guess, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 11, 2013 11:11 PM
Sep 2012
Seems like the Chimera ant is a saga more than an arc, and we're in the first arc which introduces ants in general up until the birth of the king
May 11, 2013 11:26 PM

Apr 2012
insan3soldiern said:
If so it was very gripping filler. I mean, these Ants are very interesting so far. Especially Koalaman. Can't wait for when the King shows up. But, considering the Royal Guards haven't even been introduced, it'll probably still be a while. Just a guess, though.

Yeah, given the relatively slow pace of the anime so far, it will probably be a few weeks before we even get an appearance from the Royal Guards.

Speaking of pacing, I also don't mind the filler. I like the fact that they are adding onto the Pokkle and Ponzu stuff, for example. Those sections always seemed a bit thin in the manga.
May 11, 2013 11:28 PM

Apr 2012
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. The episode was pretty good. Plus we got to see Pokkle's nen ability, some breakdown of the Chimera Ant hierarchy, and Secret agent Koala take out some people.
May 11, 2013 11:38 PM

Oct 2011
I wouldn't mind the filler if it were productive. Episodes 76-78 all had productive filler which built upon the original story. Here we just had filler

My problem was not the fact that there was filler, but that this week contained some mediocre filler that felt more like stalling than adding quality story to shore up some of the weaker areas to the beginning of the arc.
fearthebeard85May 11, 2013 11:54 PM
May 11, 2013 11:40 PM

Oct 2011
xieghart said:
iLostReason said:

How are these fillers? This episode introduces Meleoron (one of the most important Chimera Ant in the arc) and Gon & friends entered NGL for the first time. This is a buildup episode, certainly containing IMPORTANT part of the arc.

Did you miss a good amount of this episode? Just because important scenes from the manga were included does not mean that filler was not present in this episode. A good portion of this episode contained filler scenes at that.
May 11, 2013 11:47 PM

Aug 2010
PONZUUUUU

They need more of her.

But I feel like we'll be getting a lot less of her next episode.

Also, the people calling this filler clearly don't know what filler is. Filler is when a series wastes an episode doing nothing for the sake of buying the manga time to catch up. Which is why you didn't see any filler in FMA Brotherhood, or this show.

This was buildup. It introduced characters and pushed the story along. A filler would be a beach episode, or an episode that develops nothing and focuses on no element of the plot. That's the technicals of it anyways. I think the key word you were looking for with this episode was slow. But it's a shounen, we already knew that.
ovoon7May 11, 2013 11:51 PM
May 12, 2013 12:17 AM

Oct 2011
ovoon7 said:
Also, the people calling this filler clearly don't know what filler is. Filler is when a series wastes an episode doing nothing for the sake of buying the manga time to catch up..

I'm not trying to be the tyrant here who argues with everyone about the filler, but this is completely wrong.

The definition of filler as it applies to anime:

A segment of anime, whether it be an entire episode or part of one, which does not appear in the manga of the title. Fillers, as the name implies, "fills" an episode with non-canonical material which has been written usually by the same company which animates it.

The second half of what you said about this being build up was correct. We've had 3 episodes into this arc (excluding the Kaito introduction episode) that have included build up that Togashi should've included in the first place. However, filler is filler. Not saying the included filler scenes were bad because they were filler, in this episode they just felt mediocre to me and instead of build up felt more like stalling.
May 12, 2013 12:36 AM

Nov 2011
The design of the chimera ants are getting more and more....eccentric

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
May 12, 2013 12:41 AM
Oct 2008
Good episode kinda slow but it actually talks about NGL's Shady Leader so many pluses dor that also with the Ponzu and Pokkle scenes are always a delight to see more of them though I'm wondering if the whole arc MH is gonna expand on shallow moments in the manga hope not or this could drag on way too long
May 12, 2013 12:48 AM

Jun 2012
Wow, NGL is really whacked, with no artificial anything allowed inside...

Arrow ability is nothing original, but the koala and chameleon were awesome!

The arc's finally leading somewhere, I'm getting excited
May 12, 2013 1:23 AM

Oct 2012
time for hunting... they don't have any chance to win from ant

May 12, 2013 1:27 AM
Dec 2012
How the FUCK are these Ants so strong. This Koala-bear-faggot comes out of no where and starts shooting projectiles at the speed of light and owning everyone.
May 12, 2013 1:39 AM

Jan 2011
Wait this was a filler?? thought it was more of a build up episode

these ants are ruthless already almost wiped out NGL and the strongest ones haven't even shown up yet

was laughing my ass off when the koala came on with such a deep voice but he was still pretty cool
May 12, 2013 1:46 AM

Sep 2012
Sometimes I completely forget that HxH airs today. Can't say much about this episode since we haven't reached the meat of this arc yet.
May 12, 2013 1:47 AM

Jun 2012
Dat Ponzu x Pokkle Shipping : P

If there's one thing the anime is doing I appreciate about this arc in particular is seeing the steady developments of the Ants every episode. We're seeing all the things that make them special and individual from each other which kind of goes against what being part of an ant colony is about. They're all becoming more human ironically albeit twisted versions of their past lives who are fierce predators but are becoming more empathetic showing a range of emotions like boredom/envy/fun. That last point is what makes the Ants scary for me

Now whether you like "filler" or not I'm not even going to try to force an opinion but let me tell you first this is not pointless and will play into later plot points I can already see it now . I'm surprised we got a Zakaihal name drop already for crying out loud. Some of these events we are seeing in the anime took place off screen in the manga so for me at least I don't mind seeing it animated like

- Yunju making his domain
- First ambush of Pokkles squad

In an anime format it feels organic and I like it but I can see people loathing this episode for having different preferences/expectations

Lastly, Don't Fuck with the Koala Bear
HybridMBLMay 12, 2013 1:59 AM
May 12, 2013 2:38 AM

Mar 2012
This is how filler should be done! It improve the original material.
Common, we have to admit that the mangaka was not in his best physical shape when he is writing this. He was rushing in both his art and plot during the worse of his conditions.
The animators are able to fill in the plot and make things more fluid.
They did a great jobs imho
May 12, 2013 2:44 AM
Mar 2012
When I saw those 3 ants in last episode's preview, I thought they'll be covering what's before them because they don't appear until later, meh episode, great but doesn't really interest me
May 12, 2013 2:56 AM

Mar 2013
I didnt expect that we are going to see the face of the Commentator of the series

May 12, 2013 2:56 AM
Apr 2013
I love that not everyone is complaining about how the episode was "slow". Most who are complaining are those who have read the manga and already know the story - thus, they want to get to "juicy" parts. Others just want non-stop action.

For me, personally, I love character building. I feel that manga anime/manga pass over things so fast that you don't get a feel for... anything. Ponzu and Pokkel were sorely given so little time in the manga. With the amount of ants that are here, I feel the anime is doing great giving each one character and screen time needed before things really get rolling.

Honestly, I would have been disappointed if there wasn't filler.

Ultimately, I loved this episode a lot and love the job Madhouse is doing. :D
May 12, 2013 3:03 AM

Jun 2008
Which parts were filler?
May 12, 2013 3:08 AM

Sep 2010
MCAL said:
Damn! Nothing really happened until the last five minutes, but I felt tense watching the whole episode!

Yep, the same. Looking forward to next one! Hope to see other arrows of Pokkle. And like most other people, naming it filler would be unjust. It's more like the progression will be better as we go on.
May 12, 2013 3:09 AM

Dec 2009
I was expecting this episode to not have added material, but I was wrong. But hey, it was good filler. It's just... building up slowly.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 12, 2013 3:33 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I agree with Zoleth when it comes to the pacing. I think it's been pretty great so far, it's slowly building up into something that could be very memorable. Frankly, it's just great storytelling to build up the ants like they are doing so far. It honestly kind of confuses me as to why people have a problem with this?

I remember hearing someone compare this to One Piece's pacing in a previous episode thread. Well, I love One Piece, but I wish it was paced this well.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2013 3:37 AM

Jul 2010
It's not that bad, if you ask me. Filler, sure, but it was informational just the same; you get to know the personalities of the squad leaders. Pace is picking up, at least, and we'll get to see more action next episode
insan3soldiern said:
I remember hearing someone compare this to One Piece's pacing in a previous episode thread. Well, I love One Piece, but I wish it was paced this well.
It is paced the same way; it's just that HxH has a lot of background info it can use to fill the time, while One Piece, with its simplistic plot, has a few or none, so it resorts to "dialogue time" most of the time.

P.S. Spin's out though, so no one sexy around :(
P.P.S
Hybridbloodszak said:
Dat Ponzu x Pokkle Shipping :P
While Ponzu is kinda cute, I felt that dat snugglez came out of nowhere LOL
BigbuffoonMay 12, 2013 3:48 AM
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
May 12, 2013 3:47 AM

Sep 2010
I don't mind these added scenes, because they're fricking good. It's still the original stuff, just a little bit slower. Come on, it's not bad. It's not Bleach kind of filler.
And I'm sure, when we get to the action, it will be faster without filler scenes.
(Sorry if my English is bad.)
May 12, 2013 5:12 AM

Apr 2013
I think for manga readers, this episode would seem a little bit fillerish and for anime only viewers, it might seem a little bit slow. BUT, I think that everyone can agree that there is a buildup happening and the filler is being used tastefully by Madhouse, so props to them.

Overall, pretty good episode: 4/5
May 12, 2013 5:53 AM
Feb 2010
At the end of the arc you´ll thank MH for giving those squadron leaders more screen time.
May 12, 2013 6:21 AM

Jul 2012
I must know, does Ponzu's group end up dieing. . .
May 12, 2013 6:25 AM

Oct 2012
Next episode we'll finally see the confrontation between Gon's group and chimera ants.
May 12, 2013 6:48 AM

Mar 2012
Great build up for whats going to be this arc. Good Job Madhose. I can slowly remember a lot of creepiness i felt while reading manga.
5/5
May 12, 2013 6:57 AM

Feb 2013
next one will be interesting
May 12, 2013 7:08 AM

Jun 2010
Koalaboss!
May 12, 2013 7:10 AM

Aug 2011
you can smell the badassness from this koala mafia
May 12, 2013 7:12 AM

Jan 2008
Feel like someone important is gonna die soon.

/not a manga reader.
May 12, 2013 7:38 AM

Nov 2012
nice episode as usual
5/5

love the koala sir
May 12, 2013 7:46 AM
May 2013
I think said 'filler' was needed. When I read Chapter 204 at first it didn't make any sense the first time. Glad they properly dealt with
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Knov's shoes

Guaxinito - Sep 22

3 by Cory0905 »»
Sep 23, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 105 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2013

150 by oozePOP »»
Sep 22, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1046 by Ougi0Best0Girl »»
Sep 20, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 15, 2013

162 by samagra7 »»
Sep 19, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

933 by LizIsListing »»
Sep 18, 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.