The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 7, 2013 2:41 AM

Feb 2012
entropy13 said:
The style is quite weird actually.

It's like they're trying for the Tekken 6/Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (i.e. Namco) look but ended up in between it and with the Street Fighter X Tekken (i.e. Capcom) look instead.

Or maybe I should put it this way, it can't decide for itself whether it should look real, or look animated. The 'Uncanny Valley' so to speak of motion, with 'animated' in one side and 'real' on the other.

This Uncanny Valley is, what i actually like at this animation. It makes the people somehow unreal. They are with no doubt human, but they don't feel like humans, more like some kind of ghost or monster. That's really fitting if you keep in mind, that this is about Baudelaire
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Apr 7, 2013 2:45 AM

Jan 2008
Nucksen said:
Even better:

He said, he wished he could have drawn some scenes in the way they were done in the anime, but wasn't able to do it at that time.

Expect if he HAD drawn it like that, it would not have GOTTEN an anie.
Apr 7, 2013 2:46 AM

May 2012
DmonHiro said:
Nucksen said:
Even better:

He said, he wished he could have drawn some scenes in the way they were done in the anime, but wasn't able to do it at that time.

Except if he had drawn it like that, it would not have gotten an anime. True
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 7, 2013 2:47 AM

Jun 2012
DmonHiro said:
Nucksen said:
Even better:

Yeah but...

What if he started doing it in like 1 panel every couple pages...

And it already has an Anime, so there's no going back really.

Apr 7, 2013 2:52 AM

Feb 2012
Tommk said:
DmonHiro said:
Nucksen said:
Even better:

I am at a point to think, this would be good as i have the feeling, the anime community does not deserve anything good.
Apr 7, 2013 3:50 AM

Mar 2007
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Heres what rotoscope looks like when you dont skip the entire 2nd half of animating it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNPdUjaXys#t=1m35s

It looks fantastic, notice how character have eyes even the ones in the background, move like normal human beings. Notice how theres actually detail on the characters. Thats cause they didnt skip half the steps of animating.

I remember reading that Sakamichi no Apollon wasn't rotoscoped, so it doesn't really work as an example.

Here's some rotoscoping:

Apr 7, 2013 3:54 AM

Jun 2007
For the record - the mangaka is exactly that, a mangaka. Him saying he likes an anime or not is amazingly irrelevant, even if it's an adaptation of his own work. Please don't try using him saying he liked it as some unbreakable defense.

His opinion matters as much as any random fan's does, because that's all he is when it comes to anything but the writing.
Apr 7, 2013 3:58 AM

Feb 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
For the record - the mangaka is exactly that, a mangaka. Him saying he likes an anime or not is amazingly irrelevant, even if it's an adaptation of his own work. Please don't try using him saying he liked it as some unbreakable defense.

His opinion matters as much as any random fan's does, because that's all he is when it comes to anything but the writing.

Sorry dude, but when the only person, who really knows how this story should look(because it's out of his head) gives us his opinion about the looks of this anime, then this becomes relevant
Apr 7, 2013 4:03 AM

Jun 2007
Nucksen said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Sorry dude, but when the only person, who really knows how this story should look(because it's out of his head) gives us his opinion about the looks of this anime, then this becomes relevant

Sorry, but as someone who works in an industry that involves people having their work adapted into other things, I can say you're pretty much entirely wrong. He's a fan of his own work and he has his own imagination of how he'd like to see it, this does not hold any relevancy because it's the view of a fan - not of a professional. Whether he likes it or not does not mean anything aside the fact that he likes it; this is not something that you can use to say "this makes it good". It's not evidence at all of the quality of the series whatsoever, nor any aspects of it - it's simply an opinion of a fan. He may have contributed to it's creation by writing the original material, but his opinion is still that - an opinion. This is nothing you can use to defend the way the series looks because he can't make an objective statement saying it's good or not.

Saying because he wrote it means his word shows it's good or bad is like saying Mass Effect 3 had an amazing ending because that's what Bioware said. And hey, they made it, so their opinion is unarguable.

So, actually, even if he was entirely professional in this area and could make a valid opinion - it's STILL an opinion, which still makes it entirely worthless as defense. It might hold merit to a certain handful of fans, but if you want to actually argue that the anime's art direction, style, quality, etc are good to anyone remotely intelligent? You can't use it to defend your point there because it's got no value to an actual discussion or debate - no matter who he is, how involved he is, or what he's done. It's opinion. It's invalid as an argument.
TallonKarrde23Apr 7, 2013 4:11 AM
Apr 7, 2013 6:07 AM

Nov 2008
It's not like this is a book being adapted into a Hollywood movie. There's plenty of overlap between anime and manga, to the point that directors can get away with adapting one panel-by-panel. If the director had decided to go off on his own, I'd treat it as a stand-alone work, but if he wants to work with the original author's vision, then that one is damn relevant to me. If the author says the anime has met his vision, then it has. Same with Bioware. Everyone else is free to judge for themselves whether or not that vision had any worth to begin with. I think it did and I refuse to judge art purely on its objective, technical merits when that's not what it's about. I don't expect to convince anyone who sees it that way on his own terms, I'm just arguing in favour of giving the two artists' idea(s) a chance.
Apr 7, 2013 6:45 AM

Feb 2012
NyuuuuSaaaan said:
It's not like this is a book being adapted into a Hollywood movie. There's plenty of overlap between anime and manga, to the point that directors can get away with adapting one panel-by-panel. If the director had decided to go off on his own, I'd treat it as a stand-alone work, but if he wants to work with the original author's vision, then that one is damn relevant to me. If the author says the anime has met his vision, then it has. Same with Bioware. Everyone else is free to judge for themselves whether or not that vision had any worth to begin with. I think it did and I refuse to judge art purely on its objective, technical merits when that's not what it's about. I don't expect to convince anyone who sees it that way on his own terms, I'm just arguing in favour of giving the two artists' idea(s) a chance.

/thread

Thank You.
Apr 8, 2013 1:30 AM

May 2012
TallonKarrde23 said:
Nucksen said:
TallonKarrde23 said:

Sorry, but as someone who works in an industry that involves people having their work adapted into other things, I can say you're pretty much entirely wrong. He's a fan of his own work and he has his own imagination of how he'd like to see it, this does not hold any relevancy because it's the view of a fan - not of a professional. Whether he likes it or not does not mean anything aside the fact that he likes it; this is not something that you can use to say "this makes it good". It's not evidence at all of the quality of the series whatsoever, nor any aspects of it - it's simply an opinion of a fan. He may have contributed to it's creation by writing the original material, but his opinion is still that - an opinion. This is nothing you can use to defend the way the series looks because he can't make an objective statement saying it's good or not.

Saying because he wrote it means his word shows it's good or bad is like saying Mass Effect 3 had an amazing ending because that's what Bioware said. And hey, they made it, so their opinion is unarguable.

So, actually, even if he was entirely professional in this area and could make a valid opinion - it's STILL an opinion, which still makes it entirely worthless as defense. It might hold merit to a certain handful of fans, but if you want to actually argue that the anime's art direction, style, quality, etc are good to anyone remotely intelligent? You can't use it to defend your point there because it's got no value to an actual discussion or debate - no matter who he is, how involved he is, or what he's done. It's opinion. It's invalid as an argument.

/thread and Nucksen didnt even reply as usual. Typical fanboy that dodges many questions.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 8, 2013 2:51 AM

May 2012
NyuuuuSaaaan said:

Nicely put, for those that really have an issue with technicalities to begin with.
Apr 8, 2013 4:45 AM

Oct 2007
Nucksen said:
Tommk said:
DmonHiro said:
Nucksen said:
Even better:

I am at a point to think, this would be good as i have the feeling, the anime community does not deserve anything good.
In that case stop infecting anime community with your pretentious being because you're obviously oh so great. We don't deserve you. Now, go away. Shoo.
Apr 8, 2013 4:46 AM

Oct 2012
SantaPoncho said:
Indeed

Looks pretty good..
Apr 8, 2013 4:47 AM
Mar 2012
If you want to make an anime realistic at least choose one with fanservice in it, hohoho
Apr 8, 2013 4:50 AM

Apr 2013
Indeed its beautiful. They should rotoscoped every new anime.
Apr 8, 2013 12:55 PM
Dec 2008
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Its completely half assed and entirely lazy, Heres what rotoscope looks like when you dont skip the entire 2nd half of animating it

It looks fantastic, notice how character have eyes even the ones in the background, move like normal human beings. Notice how theres actually detail on the characters. Thats cause they didnt skip half the steps of animating.

Except that it isn't rotoscoped at all.
http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/interview-with-bahi-jd

Now I'm not defending Aku no Hana's rotoscoping job,I think it's quetionable,and one can probably find examples of much better rotoscoping,but that Kids on a Slope was rotoscoped seems to be a misconception.Infact,the person responsible seemingly isn't too keen on people mistaking his work for rotoscoping.
Apr 8, 2013 3:35 PM
Dec 2011
Kind of off topic but people were talking about it earlier. It really annoys me when people talk about the slow pacing of this first episode and then proceed to say that it only covered half a chapter of the manga thus it will cover hardly any of the manga story. Firstly this is only the first episode and as such the story of the manga could be radically altered. Secondly the pacing of this episode, while too slow for some, was prefect for the story told in the first episode. It is completely irrelevant how this relates to the pacing of the manga.. The problem is that too many people view both the manga as one work, rather they should be viewed as two different works.
sim1234103Apr 8, 2013 3:38 PM
Apr 8, 2013 4:01 PM

Sep 2009
YorozuyaGinSan said:
Am I the only one who genuinely enjoyed this work of art?

The landscapes were fucking beautiful, that may not be so for the characters, but they still have their charms. Calling them ugly is an exaggeration, unless you're trying to make yourself believe that.

Kasuga's dick is gonna find it's way into dem pantsu.

This shit is reel.

I agree. As strange as a choice it was to swing the style so far out, it's quite perfect for this type of setting. Everything feels organic and ominous, as if insanity is just peeking out from the corner of your eye. The studio really wanted to emphasis the story above all, that in my book is very commendable and I look forward to following such confident decision making.
Apr 8, 2013 11:13 PM

Mar 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:

Kasuga's dick is gonna find it's way into dem pantsu.

Fuck yeah he is Is that really good though, considering the situation?
Wait, what am I saying? Fuck yeah he is!
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Apr 9, 2013 5:54 AM

May 2012

/Thread fanboys
Apr 9, 2013 6:01 AM

Mar 2013
Your signature applies to me, unfortunately. I went against my usual rule of rating things after I've completed them and rated Aku no Hana an 8 in an effort to stem the tide of hatred that was [potentially] permanently ruining it's rating. Though to be fair, I also think that that's the likely score I'll give it.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Apr 9, 2013 6:12 AM

Jan 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Its completely half assed and entirely lazy, Heres what rotoscope looks like when you dont skip the entire 2nd half of animating it

People are throwing this misconception around alot so I will post the interview section bellow.

Ben: Some people wondered whether your shots in Apollon were rotoscoped (though some said they weren't rotoscoped enough, go figure). What do you think about rotoscoping?

Bahi: Well, first of all, my shots were not rotoscope. I view this kind of audience reaction in both a positive and negative way. Positive because I'm glad it looked that realistic for them that they call it roto XD. But also kind of sad of course when they don't see/appreciate the "animation". But an artist should not get offended when people don't understand his work. People have different opinions & thoughts and I can't just explain it to all of them. My goal was to achieve my own realism in this work. Satoru Utsunomiya and Mitsuo Iso are a nice example, their animation is believable in their own way. I personally don't like to rotoscope, but there are some animators in the industry that do it often and some that mix it with animation, and some people just roto because there is not enough time and etc. I have no problem with all these but it's not my thing. I personally want my mind to do the movement and not the video-material. Our world is full of beautiful and dynamic movements, but they are only my reference, inspiration and motivation.
Apr 9, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2012
Pusswookie said:
Your signature applies to me, unfortunately. I went against my usual rule of rating things after I've completed them and rated Aku no Hana an 8 in an effort to stem the tide of hatred that was [potentially] permanently ruining it's rating. Though to be fair, I also think that that's the likely score I'll give it.

Thats just wrong, I used to think that way too. But imo, I think its wiser to rate something that goes with your own thought (without getting affected by others rating ).

But its only 1 ep, how sure are you that it will be the most likely score you will give it :\
Apr 9, 2013 6:26 AM

Mar 2013
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Thats just wrong, I used to think that way too. But imo, I think its wiser to rate something that goes with your own thought (without getting affected by others rating ).

But its only 1 ep, how sure are you that it will be the most likely score you will give it :

I am....reasonably sure. So far I like the style, story, and directing.
At any rate, I fully intend to change my rating to whatever I want it to be once it has at least a good 6 episodes or so, but as of the moment, consider this an act of altruism [lending it a helping hand if you will].
- Douglas Adams

Apr 9, 2013 6:34 AM

May 2012
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

But its only 1 ep, how sure are you that it will be the most likely score you will give it :

At any rate, I fully intend to change my rating to whatever I want it to be once it has at least a good 6 episodes or so, but as of the moment, consider this an act of altruism [lending it a helping hand if you will].

Oh I see, your ratings is up to you anyways.

Each and everyone to its own.

Welcome to MAL btw.
Apr 9, 2013 6:46 AM
Feb 2012
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

It's a shame conventionalists chastise those who claim that rankings are based on what their eyes see.

You think I may be a sock-puppet since I'm really disgusted by this anime, but I'm clearly not. 100% of my current grades are me, me, and me. No hipsters are going to control them.

I have plans to get into SNK by the way. It actually looks pretty cool.
Apr 9, 2013 6:47 AM
Nov 2007
RisingCascade said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

It's a shame conventionalists chastise those who claim that rankings are based on what their eyes see.

You think I may be a sock-puppet since I'm really disgusted by this anime, but I'm clearly not. 100% of my current grades are me, me, and me. No hipsters are going to control them.

How cute.
Apr 9, 2013 7:10 AM

Mar 2013
Tommk said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

Thanks, glad to be here.
- Douglas Adams

Apr 9, 2013 7:42 AM
Feb 2012
pressboardshelf said:
RisingCascade said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

How cute.

Yeah, I'm 18 years old and I have erudite vocabulary, I know. How percocious I am!
Apr 9, 2013 8:08 AM

Mar 2013
RisingCascade said:
pressboardshelf said:
RisingCascade said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

How cute.

Yeah, I'm 18 years old and I have erudite vocabulary, I know. How percocious I am!

You kind of just gave away that you're trying, as he was actually making fun of your douchey "rebellious" attitude. I'm not going to judge however; simple misunderstanding I suppose.
StickyWizardApr 9, 2013 8:13 AM
- Douglas Adams

Apr 9, 2013 8:13 AM
Feb 2012
Pusswookie said:
RisingCascade said:
pressboardshelf said:
RisingCascade said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

How cute.

You kind of just gave away that you're trying, as he was actually making fun of your "rebellious" attitude.

>trying

That's the last thing I would do. I actually know where I stand in my argument and ain't afraid to state honest opinions. How is that trying?
Apr 9, 2013 8:18 AM

Mar 2013
No, I mean... with the clearly forced use of vocabulary [not in your original post, scarcely an impressive word there].
It's just hilarious that you're clearly trying to impress with your magniloquent speech [threw that in there because I thought you'd like it].
I'm just saying that going out of your way to use words like precocious [you misspelled it] and erudite makes you look [unintentionally, I know] like an asshole.
At any rate, I'm not judging, just offering constructive criticism. Us teenagers have gotta stick together amirite?
StickyWizardApr 9, 2013 8:22 AM
- Douglas Adams

Apr 9, 2013 8:23 AM
Nov 2007
RisingCascade said:
Pusswookie said:
RisingCascade said:
pressboardshelf said:
RisingCascade said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:
Tommk said:
Pusswookie said:

Welcome to MAL btw.

How cute.

You kind of just gave away that you're trying, as he was actually making fun of your "rebellious" attitude.

>trying

That's the last thing I would do. I actually know where I stand in my argument and ain't afraid to state honest opinions. How is that trying?

Your argument is based on the flawed assumption that your tastes are not shaped by others.

Needless to say, those who try and pretend that they are unique butterflies for liking this show are also wrong. Nobody's grades are 100% "them, them, and them" -- even mine. Lay off the thesaurus, too. Pick up some philosophy instead.
Apr 9, 2013 8:28 AM

Mar 2013
Or keep sticking to anime; I've actually learned copious amounts of interesting shit from anime.
- Douglas Adams

Apr 9, 2013 8:33 AM
Jun 2009
ReasonDesu said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

People are throwing this misconception around alot so I will post the interview section bellow.

Ben: Some people wondered whether your shots in Apollon were rotoscoped (though some said they weren't rotoscoped enough, go figure). What do you think about rotoscoping?

Bahi: Well, first of all, my shots were not rotoscope. I view this kind of audience reaction in both a positive and negative way. Positive because I'm glad it looked that realistic for them that they call it roto XD. But also kind of sad of course when they don't see/appreciate the "animation". But an artist should not get offended when people don't understand his work. People have different opinions & thoughts and I can't just explain it to all of them. My goal was to achieve my own realism in this work. Satoru Utsunomiya and Mitsuo Iso are a nice example, their animation is believable in their own way. I personally don't like to rotoscope, but there are some animators in the industry that do it often and some that mix it with animation, and some people just roto because there is not enough time and etc. I have no problem with all these but it's not my thing. I personally want my mind to do the movement and not the video-material. Our world is full of beautiful and dynamic movements, but they are only my reference, inspiration and motivation.

All of the performance parts were rotoscoped. The only bit that Bahi JD worked on and drew by hand was the student calling everyone to the gym.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNPdUjaXys#t=1m58s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZNPdUjaXys#t=2m9s

He only worked on episode 7.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=107990
Apr 9, 2013 8:49 AM

May 2012
Trisection said:
ReasonDesu said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

All of the performance parts were rotoscoped. The only bit that Bahi JD worked on and drew by hand was the student calling everyone to the gym.

Apr 9, 2013 10:40 AM

Jan 2012
Trisection said:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I read it from a previous post and thought it was concerning the whole animation.

... LoL Tommk do you do anything but pad out your posts by quoting other peoples posts. I mean seriously it's like the post before yours, put your e-peen away or atleast add something constructive :P
Apr 9, 2013 6:13 PM

Jun 2012
Tommk said:
Trisection said:
ReasonDesu said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

I don't get it...

How is a student waving his/her hand considered Key animation and layout?
That's more in-between animation which he's also credited for.
Apr 9, 2013 6:15 PM

Jan 2012
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I don't get it...

Haha yeah that is another story, I don't get it either... but that's how anime works apparently. I don't disbelieve it either.
Apr 9, 2013 6:51 PM
Jun 2009
YorozuyaGinSan said:
I don't get it...

Layout can be described as the camera movement/angle used along with the positioning of objects on screen. Usually one guy does this for an entire episode but letting animators do their own layouts can also speed up the process. Key animation refers to the frames that guide the movement while in-betweens make it smoother and more convincing. The former is done by experienced animators while the latter is given to those with less skill. For those particular cuts Bahi decided how to frame the shot and drew all the movement by himself.
Apr 14, 2013 3:55 AM

Apr 2013
It really really okay if the character design have good looks..
*just my opinion...
Apr 14, 2013 5:40 AM

Mar 2010
And i thought the backgrounds are real pictures with some extra lines added, am i wrong?
Apr 26, 2013 12:59 PM

Jun 2012
Lylaaz said:
And i thought the backgrounds are real pictures with some extra lines added, am i wrong?

Does that have to be a problem?
Apr 26, 2013 1:07 PM

Jan 2008
0cean27 said:
People mostly have problems with Nakamura. I actually prefer her being like this. She looks crazy and fits the plots.

Yeah... because only ugly people can ever be crazy, right?
Apr 26, 2013 3:10 PM

Jun 2012
DmonHiro said:
0cean27 said:
People mostly have problems with Nakamura. I actually prefer her being like this. She looks crazy and fits the plots.

Yeah... because only ugly people can ever be crazy, right?

The Anime look emphasizes it.. Greatly

In the Manga her initial appearance just comes off as a stuck up little bitch with no eyebrows who enjoys talking down to people far superior to herself.

>
Apr 26, 2013 3:49 PM

Oct 2010
That manga drawing doesn't say anything about the character, her emotions or her state of mind. It is a perfectly standard face that could cover many ranges of emotions, so maybe there's a point of disturbance (putting non-standard attitudes in a standard-looking person) in it.

What seems clear is that the anime seems to emphasize more her craziness.
jal90Apr 27, 2013 4:39 PM
Apr 26, 2013 4:14 PM

Mar 2013
I don't hate the art style, I'm just not a big fan of it. though I can now more accurate say who is good looking in this anime and who is not without every chara being a bishi or a shota lol XD there are still things that bug me.

The background is well done, but I wish they would shade the characters in and make them at least blink if all they are doing is staring. (I just finished with episode 4 and it got a little better in this respect) It makes me feel like whoever did the background was paid more than the one that do the characters. >_<

I like this anime and like I said in another thread I want to see how they portray the events in the manga in this anime ._.

Apr 27, 2013 12:40 PM

Jun 2012
Hiroi_Kusaji said:

I like this anime and like I said in another thread I want to see how they portray the events in the manga in this anime ._.

I haven't read the Manga yet myself, but I've noticed from the cast of characters that alot of Kasuga's friends seem to be filler stand ins or just weren't important enough to get a name....

Makes me really wonder how loyal of an adaptation this is.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Chances of getting a Remake?

MyAntonioList - Jul 29

14 by IoriSei »»
Aug 1, 4:12 AM

» Aku no Hana is probably not getting a second season so...

iiKrina - Apr 17, 2014

33 by MyAntonioList »»
Jul 29, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

327 by Quaggy »»
Jul 23, 10:49 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

87 by littlefrank103 »»
Jul 17, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

132 by littlefrank103 »»
Jul 17, 7:00 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.