Forum Settings
Forums

Director Ikuhara Kunihiko's New Project 'Penguinbear' Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 14, 2012 5:20 AM

Feb 2010
Please let it be a series!
Aug 14, 2012 5:43 PM

Sep 2007
Augh I'm so excited, whatever it is! I doubt he'd do a full-on sequel - my guess would be more of a spinoff, but like others I'll be watching it regardless. 8D
Aug 31, 2012 8:53 PM

Sep 2011
we are going to be trolled again ;A; (?)
Sep 5, 2012 2:17 PM

Mar 2009
vermont- said:
we are going to be trolled again ;A; (?)

It's Ikuhara. His trolling hurts so good~
Sep 12, 2012 8:55 PM
Mar 2011
Am I one of the few people hoping that this is a direct sequel to Penguindrum?

I really want it to be because I felt that the series ended with too many questions left unanswered and I would have preferred a more definite ShoumaXRingo, HimariXKanba ending, if it had been more similar to the Angel Beats ending I probably would have been more satisfied.

However I'm guessing if anything this is going to be a spin off series. But I can dream can't I? T.T
Sep 13, 2012 1:07 AM

Jun 2011
So we get to see penguins mixed with bears?
Ikuahara must have smoked again some strange weed, that's a really good news to me.
Oct 11, 2012 10:51 AM

Apr 2012
I'm thinking it will be a movie retelling the series, sort off like Adolescence of Utena.
Either that or a spin off, who knows, maybe it'll give a purpose to Mario in the story. What I do not want it to be is a sequel, the ending of the series was great and continuing the story would ruin it.
Matthew-sanNov 4, 2012 5:48 AM
Oct 22, 2012 1:23 PM

Dec 2011
whatever it is, I'm into it
Oct 23, 2012 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Oh my God! If this is even a little similar to Penguindrum, I know I'll love it. can't wait to see what it's about!!
Dec 1, 2012 9:08 PM

Mar 2008
OH!!! It's absolutely Fabulous Max!!!! I so hoped there would be something like an OVA or a spin-off to the whole series, without all the serious topics Ikukhara have raised in it. You know, just something for fun.. and here we are! WOAH! Can't wait, really!

And that sentence on the website... The word "transparent" (透明) has been heavily used throughout the series and was translated as "invisible" in the subs. It was a synonym (allusion) to pretty much "death" in that crashing machine in the Child broiler (see flashbacks in episode 18 and episode 20 to remember). I think the "transparent storm" refers to the rain of those shivers of broken glass produced by that machine.

So it's like Ikuhara trolls with a message, "Find out more about Penguinbear without turning to trash and melting away!", i.e. don't you dare die before you check out my new work xDDDD
Dec 20, 2012 8:22 AM
Jun 2012
On December 23rd we will get new info http://0taku.livedoor.biz/archives/4360425.html
Dec 28, 2012 12:24 PM

Dec 2009
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Dec 28, 2012 12:28 PM

Nov 2011
Oh fuck yes.
Dec 28, 2012 12:51 PM

Apr 2010
Confirmed to be a movie, meh. I'd always take a TV Series over a movie due to the 9 month wait for subs + shorter airing time.

Dec 28, 2012 12:54 PM

Nov 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Confirmed to be a movie, meh. I'd always take a TV Series over a movie due to the 9 month wait for subs + shorter airing time.

Series > Movie > Nothing. :)
Dec 28, 2012 1:36 PM

Jan 2011
Marow said:

This is a fake. Quoting tensorpudding:

C83 hadn't started when this was posted

The only link for the video is on a fake site of recent vintage that is a visual clone of the Japanese blog yaraon (but isn't related and the DNS records show it being registered to some other party) but is of spanish-speaking origin.

It happens to be a certain feast day, the Day of the Massacre of Innocents, which is equivalent to April Fools in Catholic Latin America.

The video contains dialogue that was confirmed to be taken from the original anime, and mostly reuses animation from the original anime, with small alterations.
Dec 28, 2012 1:38 PM

Nov 2011
Boo.
Dec 28, 2012 2:17 PM

Oct 2011
Penguindrum was outstanding.
I'm sooo ready to this "Penguinbear"
Dec 28, 2012 3:03 PM

Jul 2011
I need to watch the first season >.> But look forward to this all the same :)
Jan 12, 2013 8:42 AM

Mar 2008
Marow said:
kyuuuuu~! ^^
Jan 29, 2013 4:15 PM

Sep 2012
There's new pictures on the website!!
Jan 29, 2013 9:45 PM
Sep 2009
Already confirmed as a manga. In march we'll have more info about the project.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-01-30/penguindrum-anime-inspires-manga-almost-2-years-later

Preview of march issue of Comic Birz magazine:

Jan 30, 2013 3:13 PM

Aug 2008
A new update on the website:
http://penguinbear.com/

:D
Jan 30, 2013 5:31 PM

Apr 2012
I don't think the manga is comfirmed to be the Penguinbear project; they might be two different things. I really hope they are.
Mar 23, 2013 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
ANN is reporting that Ikuhara presented some footage from this new project. It will be called "Yuri Kuma Arashi" and has a bear that transforms into a girl.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-23/utena/penguindrum-ikuhara-reveals-yuri-kuma-arashi-anime
Mar 23, 2013 2:42 PM

Mar 2012
Gosh, my body is destiny.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Mar 23, 2013 2:47 PM

Nov 2011
Baptism said:

IMAGINE!!!!
Mar 23, 2013 2:51 PM

Nov 2011
By the way, this site has a full breakdown of the PV but it's in Japanese and Google Translate is sadly lacking.

http://yuuki101percent.hatenablog.com/entry/2013/03/24/051344

I think he liked it. I know enough Japanese to know what "totemo subarashi" means. :)
neontasterMar 23, 2013 3:02 PM
Mar 23, 2013 3:17 PM

Mar 2012
neontaster said:
Baptism said:
IMAGINE!!!!
Listen up, Neon. You lowlife that will never amount to anything.

But seriously, this is awesome news. Can't wait to see the PV or, better yet, get news on the release date/format.
JoshMar 23, 2013 3:23 PM
LoneWolf said:
Mar 23, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2011
Baptism said:
neontaster said:
Baptism said:
IMAGINE!!!!
Listen up, Neon. You lowlife that will never amount to anything.

But seriously, this is awesome news. Can't wait to see the PV or, better yet, get news of the release/format.

LOL. Yeah, I am watching Utena right now (I'm a huge Penguindrum fan). I just want more Ikuhara. I find his style highly enjoyable.
Mar 23, 2013 3:26 PM

Mar 2012
I couldn't get into Utena because of old art style :(. I might try again some day, because I know that I should enjoy it.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 23, 2013 3:27 PM

Nov 2011
Baptism said:
I couldn't get into Utena because of old art style :(. I might try again some day, because I know that I should enjoy it.

I don't mind the old style. I more mind the Bishounen, but the show is good enough so that I don't care.
Mar 23, 2013 3:35 PM

Aug 2009
neontaster said:
ANN is reporting that Ikuhara presented some footage from this new project. It will be called "Yuri Kuma Arashi" and has a bear that transforms into a girl.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-03-23/utena/penguindrum-ikuhara-reveals-yuri-kuma-arashi-anime

I cannot wait for this mahou kuma stuff. It will be FABULOUS.

Baptism said:

Perhaps you could try the remastered version. Of course, the art style remains the same, but the image quality is much better compared to the old version. It's got crispier and cleaner animation.
Mar 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Aug 2011
Christ, I am so excited for this.

So "Yuri Kuma Arashi" is pretty much confirmed to be "Penguinbear", right? The tagline on the Penguinbear website was something like "Find out without getting caught in that transparent storm." So now we have the bear/storm connection between this one and Penguinbear. So "Lesbian Bear Storm" as I really enjoy calling it, will most likely be connected to Penguindrum, I think.
Mar 23, 2013 8:44 PM

Aug 2010
Wow, it's been forever since I visited the website and I didn't know changes were made by now. Can't wait to see the PV! :D
Mar 24, 2013 12:21 AM

Nov 2011
Just finished Shoujo Kakumei Utena and boy has it upped my anticipation for this big time. I was already a big fan of Penguindrum, but now I see it wasn't a fluke and Ikuhara is serious business. Can't fucking wait for this.
neontasterMar 24, 2013 12:25 AM
Mar 25, 2013 12:23 PM

Mar 2008
I bet the story of the new show will be based on the following incident:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident
As you can see, it's already been dramatized in 70-80's under the name "Kuma Arashi" or "The Bear Storm", but, of course, Ikuhara will most likely use it in a fashion similar to what he did with the Sarin gas attack incident.
And since at penguinbear.com the storm is mentioned with an adjective "clear/transparent/invisible", it will most likely contain a similar idea/concept/allusion as the child brolier from penguindrum, which processed the "trashed" kids into pieces of broken glass.
So... looks like we expect a girl capable of transforming into a bear to crush the world with yuri love. LOL xDDD Ikuhara-sensei, I Love You! Thanks for sharing another fruit of art with us!
Mar 25, 2013 12:33 PM

Mar 2012
That wiki article is terrifying.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 25, 2013 2:16 PM

Jan 2011
metamorphius said:

Baptism said:

Perhaps you could try the remastered version. Of course, the art style remains the same, but the image quality is much better compared to the old version. It's got crispier and cleaner animation.

The movie is also a Option. I mean its only what? 1 hour 30 min, 2 hours tops?
VioLinkMar 25, 2013 2:23 PM
[center]
Mar 25, 2013 3:12 PM

Mar 2012
I was actually about to watch the movie, but then I read that it doesn't make any sense if you haven't seen the series. Do you guys disagree with that?
LoneWolf said:
Mar 25, 2013 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
Baptism said:
I was actually about to watch the movie, but then I read that it doesn't make any sense if you haven't seen the series. Do you guys disagree with that?

A big portion of the movie may not make sense even if you have seen the series. It's full of symbolism and all that jazz.
But yeah, I definitely wouldn't recommend watching it without having seen the TV series. Being familiar with the series definitely helps you understand the movie better.
Besides, the series is better. At least, for me.
metamorphiusMar 25, 2013 3:21 PM
Mar 25, 2013 3:17 PM

Nov 2011
Baptism said:

I literally watched the movie right now and you'd really be confused if you haven't seen the show. It's also kinda weird and not nearly as good.
Mar 25, 2013 3:22 PM

Mar 2012
Hmm, okay. I'll probably just give the remastered version another try (I assume that's what I was watching the first time) at some point.
LoneWolf said:
Mar 25, 2013 3:33 PM

Nov 2011
Baptism said:
Hmm, okay. I'll probably just give the remastered version another try (I assume that's what I was watching the first time) at some point.

I actually remember looking at the show for the first time and thinking that the style was kinda meh, but it grew on me pretty quickly, and in many ways it isn't as old school as you think. A similar thing happened to me with Shiki. Initially the character design seemed really stupid, but by the end it made total sense (there are like 60 characters so they really have to look unique and instantly recognizable or else it would get super confusing).
Mar 25, 2013 7:14 PM

Mar 2008
Baptism said:
Yes, just force yourself to the first arc - I bet you'll get used to the style after that (though it'll likely happen even faster). Then force yourself to the second arc - it might get a little boring and repetitive there. But believe me, and I guarantee I'm not the only one sharing the same opinion - it DOES truly pay off in the 3rd arc, which you can't help but marathon with your jaws in the opposite hemisphere. I can also assure you that only after watching the TV version will you love elephants and cows xDDD
And really... Utena's art style is so unique and magnificent in my books that I actually miss it a lot in today's shows. Those reddish-blueish shades and colours. Those backgrounds. Such a framing... You probably just need to get used to the 90's shoujo character design and the 480p DVD blurriness, but once you do, I'm sure you'll see how Utena's amazingly revolutionary in its visuals!
As for the movie, one could call it a storyboard paradise, I guess... and the directing is of course great... but it lacks so much in comparison to the original in the story department. It really is more like a bonus to the series. I would probably even recommend you to make a half a year break between watching a series and a movie, otherwise you might end up in the same boat as I did, downscoring it too much until rewatching a year later.
Mar 25, 2013 7:29 PM

Nov 2011
soulelle said:
Baptism said:
Yes, just force yourself to the first arc - I bet you'll get used to the style after that (though it'll likely happen even faster). Then force yourself to the second arc - it might get a little boring and repetitive there. But believe me, and I guarantee I'm not the only one sharing the same opinion - it DOES truly pay off in the 3rd arc, which you can't help but marathon with your jaws in the opposite hemisphere. I can also assure you that only after watching the TV version will you love elephants and cows xDDD
And really... Utena's art style is so unique and magnificent in my books that I actually miss it a lot in today's shows. Those reddish-blueish shades and colours. Those backgrounds. Such a framing... You probably just need to get used to the 90's shoujo character design and the 480p DVD blurriness, but once you do, I'm sure you'll see how Utena's amazingly revolutionary in its visuals!
As for the movie, one could call it a storyboard paradise, I guess... and the directing is of course great... but it lacks so much in comparison to the original in the story department. It really is more like a bonus to the series. I would probably even recommend you to make a half a year break between watching a series and a movie, otherwise you might end up in the same boat as I did, downscoring it too much until rewatching a year later.

Hahaha the cow and the elephants. And yes, the last 10 or so episodes are insane. I will also add that much like Penguindrum, this show take a while to show it's depth and serious side, but like you said it really pays off, so if you liked that aspect of Penguindrum I really can't recommend Utena enough.
neontasterMar 25, 2013 7:32 PM
Mar 25, 2013 9:34 PM

Jan 2011
Penguinbear "Yuri Kuma Arashi" PV info
http://yuuki101percent.hatenablog.com/entry/2013/03/24/051344
The PV starts with these lines:

>Are you "YURI"?
>Is that a sin?
>The "YURI" trial begins.

The MC's name is Kureha. It seems she has a dislike for bears, for whatever reason. She saves some bear from a truck accident, but ends up pulling some assault weapon out of nowhere and shoots the bear dead. The dead bear splits into two.
The words "The meeting that wasn't meant to be, between a person and 2 bears," "Miraculous meeting," and "Unforgivable mistake" are shown.

A spinning 3D object rolling around with the words 「罪Guilty」 (Guilty of sin) is shown.

Anyhow, later on those 2 bears turned into human girls. One is named Ginko and the other one Ruru. They went to live together with Kureha, and in the PV they are shown getting naked, taking a bath together and hugging while doing so. The one writing the entry described it as erotic.

It seems that while the bears can transform into humans, they-re not yet humans but they want to become humans.

There's also a trial, in which the scene itself seemed like the summoning of the PotC in Penguindrum - you know, some whacky atmosphere. The judges are 3 men.

The words "365 days until the fated kiss" "YURI acknowledgment" were said and they're sealed with a bear stamp. The PV ends there.
[center]
Mar 25, 2013 9:37 PM

Aug 2009
Nice. Thank you for a detailed description of the PV, Violink.
Mar 25, 2013 9:39 PM

Nov 2011
metamorphius said:
Nice. Thank you for a detailed description of the PV, Violink.

Seconded. Thanks!
Mar 25, 2013 10:55 PM

Jul 2011
Echo what the guys have said above, Thanks for providing the info, your a star. That was a very interesting read that has already provoked a few head scratchers. Cant wait to see the trailer and anyone know when this might air?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» 'Trillion Game' Reveals Additional Cast, Theme Songs, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» Aniplex Announces Lineup for Aniplex Online Fest 2024 [Update 8/30]

Snow - Aug 19

3 by Snow »»
11 hours ago

» 'Kimi wa Meido-sama.' Unveils Additional Staff, Second Teaser Promo

Nioxys - Yesterday

2 by IzayoiSk »»
Yesterday, 9:10 AM

» Madhouse, Cyclone Graphics Adapt 'Wondance' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Aug 21

19 by deg »»
Yesterday, 9:02 AM

» Manga 'Ganbare! Nakamura-kun!!' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - Aug 15

29 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Yesterday, 8:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.