Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 8, 2013 3:44 AM

Jan 2013
That reason is one of the common pitfalls of this club: to assume that if something is popular, it should be in relations.
Is Yuno extremely hyped? Most certainly, but we should also objectively access the quality of the character/series in relation to its hype. In this case, I'd say that she's too good to be entered into our hall of shame.

Then again, I seem to have a habit of defending lost causes...
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 8, 2013 3:47 AM

Oct 2012
Maegil said:
That reason is one of the common pitfalls of this club: to assume that if something is popular, it should be in relations.
Is Yuno extremely hyped? Most certainly, but we should also objectively access the quality of the character/series in relation to its hype. In this case, I'd say that she's too good to be entered into our hall of shame.

There there, I don't hate her either. You're not alone on this stand.
Feb 8, 2013 7:50 AM

Sep 2012
Maegil said:

Male Characters like Spike or L or female like HITAGI are also popular but no one HERE say put them into relation so saying popularity=character relation is pitfall of this group might be over the top.
Put Amano yukiteru in list and take out Yunno then(I guess he deserves more than Yunno)
Feb 8, 2013 8:07 AM

Oct 2012
Feb 8, 2013 8:10 AM

Jan 2013
Yuno has a lot of fans, but is also a well reasoned character; on the other hand, the reason why Yuki won't go to the list is the opposite - he's so bad that nobody likes him.

Remember: this is a list for the bad, but over-hyped. Just being either very hyped or bad isn't enough, the character must be well-loved by the fans and have notorious flaws.

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 8, 2013 8:13 AM

Sep 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
Hey, don't pull Spike and Senjougahara in this. They deserve better.

And I agree. Take Gasai out.

I love spike(who don't) and make a poll on Gasai then
Feb 8, 2013 8:16 AM

Oct 2012
2_Steps_Ahead said:
Ducat_Revel said:
Hey, don't pull Spike and Senjougahara in this. They deserve better.

And I agree. Take Gasai out.

I love spike(who don't) and make a poll on Gasai then

I don't have the authority to make a poll. That's Maegil's thing.

SPIKE IS AWESOME. Sorry. Just had to say it.
Feb 8, 2013 8:44 AM

Jan 2013
It's not as if you need permission, but OK, today's poll will be Gasai Yuno.

Feb 15, 2013 4:34 PM

Nov 2011
Can we add Nagisa, Reina and Lucy (Elfen Lied) to the character relations? Purty please?
Feb 15, 2013 6:49 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
Can we add Nagisa, Reina and Lucy (Elfen Lied) to the character relations? Purty please?

People like Nagisa?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 15, 2013 6:56 PM

Nov 2011
BloodRequiem said:
Amberleh said:

People like Nagisa?

http://myanimelist.net/character/4604/Nagisa_Furukawa

4k favorites.
Feb 15, 2013 7:24 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
BloodRequiem said:
Amberleh said:

People like Nagisa?

4k favorites.

Oh wow. My world just got shattered.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 15, 2013 7:50 PM

Nov 2011
I'm really good at shattering peoples' worlds.

Speaking of which, I need to go inform my friend who thought that Sailor Mars had no lover that she did, in fact, have a lover.

If you want your childhood shattered, click below:
Feb 15, 2013 7:59 PM

Aug 2009
Yeah, people seem to like her as a character. So yes, I'd say put her in the relations list. Don't know about Lucy, never seen Elfen Lied.

Also, yeah...Sailor Moon. I saw bits and pieces when I was a kid. Usually I'd hang out at a friend's house and watch an episode of Ultraman or something...and Sailor Moon would come on. Thought it was the weirdest thing. I've been meaning to go back to it and see if I actually will judge it better than that time. So...should I go for it or just move on?
Feb 15, 2013 8:04 PM

Nov 2011
dietmango said:
Yeah, people seem to like her as a character. So yes, I'd say put her in the relations list. Don't know about Lucy, never seen Elfen Lied.

Also, yeah...Sailor Moon. I saw bits and pieces when I was a kid. Usually I'd hang out at a friend's house and watch an episode of Ultraman or something...and Sailor Moon would come on. Thought it was the weirdest thing. I've been meaning to go back to it and see if I actually will judge it better than that time. So...should I go for it or just move on?

Ummmm no. No you shouldn't. I can't even go back and watch it- I can watch the final season and that's it. It's so chalk-full of fillers that the actual story gets lost in some parts. Sailor Moon is the number 1 offender of the Monster of the Week format abuse. The final season still uses the monster of the week but each episode actually moves the plot forward where the previous seasons' monster of the week episodes did not. Maybe one episode out of every 5 or 6 would actually have real content.
Feb 15, 2013 8:09 PM

Aug 2009
Okay then, duly noted. What about the upcoming reboot? Worth giving a shot?
Feb 15, 2013 8:12 PM

Nov 2011
dietmango said:
Okay then, duly noted. What about the upcoming reboot? Worth giving a shot?

Won't know 'till it's out, but I am for sure going to. I'm still a die-hard Sailor Moon fan because I secretly haven't changed much in the past 12-13 years. I will be watching that as it airs.
Feb 15, 2013 8:18 PM

Aug 2009
I'm just awfully curious is all, but I'll wait till it airs and get first impressions from you and other people I know who will actually see it.
Feb 15, 2013 8:21 PM

Nov 2011
dietmango said:
I'm just awfully curious is all, but I'll wait till it airs and get first impressions from you and other people I know who will actually see it.

If you're that curious then go ahead and watch the original. I don't know how many episodes you'll be able to take though.
Feb 15, 2013 8:47 PM

Aug 2009
Nah I'll follow what you said and just move on to whenever this new reboot airs.
Feb 15, 2013 11:05 PM

Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
Amberleh said:
BloodRequiem said:
Amberleh said:

People like Nagisa?

4k favorites.

Oh wow. My world just got shattered.

God bless this world Now.That wiafu material with plastic doll personality got 4K fav.PUT HER IN RELATIONS.
Feb 20, 2013 12:48 AM

Apr 2009
I think we need to add one or two Dragonball characters as well.
Any sugggestions?
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 20, 2013 1:23 AM

Sep 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Any sugggestions?

GOHAN
Feb 20, 2013 6:25 AM

Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Any sugggestions?

YAMCHA!
Feb 20, 2013 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
The only Dragon Ball character I liked was Vegata, so I won't nominate him. I'll nominate Goku.

From the beginning of this thread, I've wanted Nagisa to be on the character relations.
removed-userFeb 20, 2013 10:17 AM
Feb 20, 2013 10:57 AM

Sep 2012
Neane1993 said:
The only Dragon Ball character I liked was Vegata, so I won't nominate him. I'll nominate Goku.

From the beginning of this thread, I've wanted Nagisa to be on the character relations.

Indeed.Actually he was the only character in dragon ball which never irritates me and having Nagisa in relation makes me so happy NEVER knew why so many people like her anyway.
Feb 20, 2013 11:54 AM

Aug 2009
I've got nothing meaningful to contribute here, but this whole talk about Nagisa reminded me of something I saw a while ago.

OK, it's a different Key title and character but still...
Feb 20, 2013 12:00 PM

Nov 2011
metamorphius said:
I've got nothing meaningful to contribute here, but this whole talk about Nagisa reminded me of something I saw a while ago.

OK, it's a different Key title and character but still...

This. Yes.

As far as putting DBZ characters on there- I'm very against it. We've got it on the list, I think that's enough. DBZ contributed a LOT to anime and let's face it, you wouldn't have One Piece if it weren't for DBZ. DBZ shaped the shounen demographic into what it is today- Not to mention that despite his poor plot writing skills, Akira Toriyama is one of- if not the- most brilliant anime artist out there.
Feb 22, 2013 1:10 AM

Sep 2012
Yes DBZ contributed a lot but characters act like
Feb 22, 2013 10:25 AM
Jul 2018
That's why I liked Vegata...he was the closet the series had to a complex character.
Feb 22, 2013 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
Sorry for the Double Post, but I just found out that this...thing has about 4000 favorites.
Feb 22, 2013 3:51 PM

Apr 2012
I'm more angry that Zero Kiryuu has 6k favourites than any K-on character.
Feb 22, 2013 4:11 PM

Apr 2009
We could add all three main "characters"/abominations from Vampire Knight if you ask me.
Feb 22, 2013 4:11 PM

Aug 2009
Allow me to join the rant.
I wasn't exactly upset or angry, but I was definitely surprised to see oh the perfect guy Usui in top 30 popular characters, with over 6k favourites. I never thought Kaichou wa Maid-sama! was that popular.

Nidhoeggr said:
We could add all three main "characters"/abominations from Vampire Knight if you ask me.

Yes.
Feb 22, 2013 4:18 PM

Sep 2012
Amberleh said:
most god-awful trope-tastic but well-loved (for some stupid reason) gary stu/mary sue characters

"Ouma Shu"
"Amano Yuki"

..Gary Stu... wat?
Feb 22, 2013 4:25 PM

Apr 2009
Red_Keys said:
Amberleh said:
most god-awful trope-tastic but well-loved (for some stupid reason) gary stu/mary sue characters

"Ouma Shu"
"Amano Yuki"

..Gary Stu... wat?

They are not Gary Stu's, but they are horrible characters nontheless.
Feb 22, 2013 4:32 PM

Sep 2012
lol fair enough.

But Kirito being the character that "defines the Harem lead stereotype" is just flat out wrong. Kirito is confident, cocky, decisive, talented, and the closest thing to a gary stu on this list.

The "typical Harem protagonist" would better be suited to somebody like Rito Yuuki. A bumbling, dense, freak out-having, idiot who lacks the ability to communicate with other human beings properly.

At least Kirito actually had some sort of valid reason for girls to be attracted to him, as opposed to just "because he's the main character".
Feb 22, 2013 4:39 PM

Apr 2012
Perhaps the one to represent all shitty harem leads is this guy?

http://myanimelist.net/character.php?id=1037

or this guy?

http://myanimelist.net/character/35659/Ichika_Orimura

By the way, is Infinite Stratos on the relations list yet?
Feb 22, 2013 4:41 PM

Apr 2012
Red Keys
I agree with you for the most part, Kirito should be known more as the second coming of Jesus rather than Hue Hefner the animated version. Rito Yuki, is an anomaly for the most part, I wish I could just stand around and have females swarm me.
Feb 22, 2013 4:42 PM

Apr 2009
I'd say there are several stereotypical harem leads, some more and some less common.
The "Spineless wimp" is very common right now, but that doesn't mean there aren't Gary Stu types of harem leads. Especially within the LN/VN medium there is a small trend to have overpowered characters with several of Kirito's traits to gain a harem.

BloodRequiem said:

By the way, is Infinite Stratos on the relations list yet?

Of course it is!

Is there any opposition regarding the addition of the three VK leads?
NidhoeggrFeb 22, 2013 4:46 PM
Feb 22, 2013 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
I stayed away from Vampire Knight but there is no opposition from me to adding the three leads. Also, what does this club think of Yui Hirasawa..we may not have K-on! on the relations list, that doesn't mean that one character from the series can't be put there.
Feb 22, 2013 5:02 PM

Apr 2009
She has become s sort of personification of "retard moe" by now, so I can see reasons for adding her. Still, more input is inquired.
Feb 22, 2013 5:07 PM

Aug 2009
Neane1993 said:
Also, what does this club think of Yui Hirasawa.

I can at least tell you what a 1/138 part of the club (i.e. me) thinks of her.

Dear Yui
Feb 22, 2013 6:20 PM

Apr 2012
VK leads:

Kaname: Every fat fugly fan girls' wet dream
Zero: EMOSASUKEDARKNESS
Yuki: I want to fuck both of them but for some reason I can't, that's why I'm acting like a bitch
Feb 22, 2013 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
BloodRequiem said:
VK leads:

Kaname: Every fat fugly fan girls' wet dream
Zero: EMOSASUKEDARKNESS
Yuki: I want to fuck both of them but for some reason I can't, that's why I'm acting like a bitch

They really do represent some of the worst cliches out there.
If SAO is Japanese Twilight for little boys/neckbeard otakus than VK is Japanese Twilight for little girls/fujoshis.
Feb 22, 2013 6:48 PM

Nov 2011
This is making me want to watch some Vampire Knight. I sense hilarity..
Feb 22, 2013 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
I hated VK. It was unbearable to read. Every character was blank and mysterious just to appeal to it's naive audience. Toss the lot in our pits and prepare the iron maidens.

Also, I fully support a K-On character to be put here. But I'm more for Mio than Yui. Yui was consistently stupid while Mio's character would take odd shifts in character between cool "sempai" and panophobic otaku-bait. But if you guys insist, we can toss both of them in our list!
Feb 22, 2013 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
I remember that thread on MAL that was created by stanklem28 where they posted K-on! Guro Pictures..........fuck I miss that thread
Feb 22, 2013 7:02 PM

Apr 2012
I suggest Azusa just to piss off Komeiji.
Feb 22, 2013 7:09 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

32 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jul 17, 5:02 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.