Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Jan 3, 2013 11:55 AM
Jan 2013
I like anime better simply because some Real Life shows get really annoying when a show shows a crime scene and you can tell that it is not real, like you can see the "dead" bodies finger move. I mean, Nice acting bro -.-t
Jan 3, 2013 11:57 AM

Sep 2012
Kamina- said:
I like anime better simply because some Real Life shows get really annoying when a show shows a crime scene and you can tell that it is not real, like you can see the "dead" bodies finger move. I mean, Nice acting bro -.-t

Yeah, cause anime is way more realistic.
Jan 3, 2013 12:46 PM
Sep 2012
There are some good shows out there, Dexter, Walking Dead (first season that I watched at least), Monk, weeds...

I like anime better but it's just taste I guess.
Jan 3, 2013 1:04 PM

Apr 2012
SetsukoHara said:

There's a subtlety that you're completely missing there. Live-action looks like reality. So it's jarring when it fails to behave like reality. Animation doesn't look like reality, so it gains license not to behave like reality, it can be unreal far more easily.
Jan 3, 2013 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
logopolis said:
SetsukoHara said:

There's a subtlety that you're completely missing there. Live-action looks like reality. So it's jarring when it fails to behave like reality. Animation doesn't look like reality, so it gains license not to behave like reality, it can be unreal far more easily.

Nice sweeping generalizations.
The Art of Eight
Jan 3, 2013 9:29 PM

Sep 2012
I have more anime that I enjoy more than tv. However TV shows like Breaking Bad, Game of thrones, Sherlock and Arrested Development all rank up with my favourite anime. 9used to enjoy dexter but quality has dipped, also still need to watch the wire)
Jan 3, 2013 10:57 PM

Oct 2012
dankickyou said:
logopolis said:
SetsukoHara said:

I don't think it's sweeping to assume live-action looks more like reality than anime.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 4, 2013 12:04 AM

Jun 2010
as much as i love anime, i also love real life tv series.
Kamina- said:

are you sure you aren't watching The Walking Dead? ^_____^

both are appealing but i think i'll choose Anime over Real Life TV series any day. One proof is that i'm a member of an anime forum and not a real life tv series one. Uhm.. hehe ~
Jan 4, 2013 12:09 AM

Nov 2011
katsucats said:
dankickyou said:
logopolis said:
SetsukoHara said:

I don't think it's sweeping to assume live-action looks more like reality than anime.

You dont say. I was talking about this part mainly. I only quoted ^that part because it was the last quote in their argument. Also, live action breaks out of reality all the time that it actually effects our perception of real life. Many things that the people take for granted as realistic isnt real at all because of live action shows.

logopolis said:
That depends. In drama, anime wins. I think the peak of live-action television drama is seasons 26 and 27 of Doctor Who. But even these can't compete with something like Utena, because live-action is so restrictive, you can barely play with the look of the thing, you have to include all sorts of irrelevant details just to look realistic, you can't change the proportions of your cast and so forth.

In comedy, there's no anime which can quite match the likes of Monty Python or Yes Minister. Because using subtle visual cues isn't nearly so useful, animation is far less of an advantage, and the quality of personnel behind those shows takes precedence.
The Art of Eight
Jan 4, 2013 12:22 AM

Feb 2012
Over the last 2 years I've pretty much stopped watching tv. The only shows I even bother to watch nowadays are How I Met Your Mother & The Big Bang Theory and even then I only watch them online.
Jan 4, 2013 1:41 AM
Jul 2010
I stopped watching TV soon after I started watching anime. Most American movie and series only seemed "more of the same" to me. And while that stands true for some anime, there is just so much variety each season, that you're bound to find one gem or two. It's purely personally opinion but hey, I don't miss the TV a single bit.
Jan 4, 2013 2:31 AM

Mar 2012
Live action tv shows are better for me... Game of Thrones, Lost, Dexter etc, etc...

Some anime are great but overall TV series have more quality and quantity of that quality :P

PS: I don't really use TV to watch TV shows... I never really used a TV properly for years. If I needed something I'd either stream it or watch the tv on my laptop >.>

TV is for noobs
End Zionazism
Jan 4, 2013 2:50 AM

Mar 2012
Before I watched anime, the only shows I watched in TV were Family Guy and a show about video games. Now that I watch anime, I've given up on video games completely so I don't see the point in continuing to watch the show. I don't watch Family Guy on TV all that much, but I still buy the DVDs and watch the show every now and then. Although unless you have Foxtel, Australian TV is pretty shit. If I had that, I'd probably watch TV more often.
Jan 4, 2013 3:00 AM

Oct 2012
I don't watch TV shows much, not because live-action is somehow inadequate to present drama, but mostly because I don't like the directing that is usually associated with the format: episodic cliffhangers, pointless twists, melodrama, unreasonable villains, etc. Come to think of it, a lot of these plague anime too. There are some TV shows I could get into, but they aren't that common.

The only genre that I consistently appreciate are Chinese wuxia shows, which to me are kind of like live-action versions of shounen fighting anime (underdog hero learns all the world's greatest martial arts, finds love, and defeats villain, saving the world in the process). These are based off of short novels, the most famous author being Jin Yong, so they are closer to anime based off of manga or visual novels in their source, instead of being written by a team of career show scriptwriters that compose most TV shows. I think you could just feel the difference in the details when a show or movie is based off a book.

However, the best venue for drama remains with big budget movies.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 4, 2013 3:01 AM

Mar 2012
Family guy is animated >.<
End Zionazism
Jan 4, 2013 3:24 AM

Jan 2012
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Before I watched anime, the only shows I watched in TV were Family Guy and a show about video games. Now that I watch anime, I've given up on video games completely so I don't see the point in continuing to watch the show. I don't watch Family Guy on TV all that much, but I still buy the DVDs and watch the show every now and then. Although unless you have Foxtel, Australian TV is pretty shit. If I had that, I'd probably watch TV more often.

that's because you're 16
Jan 4, 2013 5:06 AM
Sep 2012
I generally prefer Anime but that dosen´t mean that I don´t like Live-Action TV Series or Movies.
Jan 26, 2013 11:17 PM

Jul 2012
renders said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:

that's because you're 16

I would normally say age doesnt affect what you watch, but...

I watch stuff from buck rogers to legend of the seeker, so I dont let what I was born into affect what I watch.
Jan 26, 2013 11:19 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe Dr Who would be better than some anime, but live-action shows usually don't compete.
Jan 26, 2013 11:23 PM

Mar 2012
Generally speaking, I prefer to watch anime. There are just so few American TV shows I really don't care to watch. I do like some comedies like Two and Half Men (with Charlie Sheen, not Ashton Kutcher), The Big Bang Theory, Family Guy (the last four or five years have generally sucked), The Simpsons (see Family Guy), and Bob's Burgers. I did like a lot of the classic comedies such as Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, and Spin City. There are very few dramas/action TV I enjoy. I'd say my favorite TV dramas have been Elementary as of late, Last Resort (although it's starting to bore me with how BS it's getting), and Flashpoint (Canada represent).
Jan 26, 2013 11:25 PM

Aug 2012
Spongebob > All Anime
Jan 26, 2013 11:33 PM

Sep 2012
I prefer anime. I only really like one or two live action shows.
Jan 26, 2013 11:37 PM

Aug 2009
It really depends on the show or the anime some shows are fucking amazing like The Wire, Game of Thrones, Dexter, Breaking Bad and Spartacus, but the majority of stuff on T.V is total garbage, but that said so it most anime, considered its mainly tailored towards Japanese Otakus. Like T.V shows though there is some amazing stuff like Berserk, Kemonozume, Samurai X Trust and Betrayal and ofcourse the new Jojo anime. Overall theres a lot more anime in general considering like 20-30 come out every season, but the quality of anime can just be really really low compared to the quality of most T.V series.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 26, 2013 11:51 PM

Nov 2012
I'd have to say Game of Thrones can definitely compete.
Jan 26, 2013 11:52 PM
Jul 2018
If we go outside of live action, Gravity Falls and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic are pretty awesome.
And admittedly, I like Family Guy.
._.
Jan 27, 2013 12:16 AM

Mar 2012
Coolspot said:
renders said:
SquadmemberRitsu said:

that's because you're 16

I would normally say age doesnt affect what you watch, but...

I watch stuff from buck rogers to legend of the seeker, so I dont let what I was born into affect what I watch.
Don't mind him, he's an idiot.
Jan 27, 2013 12:17 AM

Feb 2010
There are Tv shows in genres that usually don't see many anime adaptions. Psychological or mature slice-of-life or political manga usually get live action adaptions instead of anime even in Japan.

Stuff like The Wire would be a perfect example, it wouldn't make sense as an anime. I'm still surprised that Monster got an anime adaption, or Uchuu Kyoudai, because they might as well have been live-action only.

In that regard I highly value The Wire or Boston Legal simply because there'll never be an anime like those. And they are great shows too in every aspect I care about.

Then there's your classic sitcoms with adult main characters - another rarity. Shows focusing on Doctors are also rare (I love Black Jack but it's the only one I can think of). So I personally love Scrubs more than most anime - because it has both and it's hilarious and interesting at the same time. Similar things can be said about House.

Another genre I enjoy very much is sci-fi and anime DOES have many shows in that area. LOGH is of course my alltime favorite anime and Babylon 5 my alltime favorite live-action in those departments and their focus is very similar although the setting is not. I still find them next to impossible to compare to each other though, which just shows that topics like this don't make much sense. Be it an american TV show or an anime - it always oozes the culture that spawned it into existence, has different priorities and different expectations to meet. Even if we ignore the different focus in terms of the genres they support and focus on the similar ones, a fair comparison is basically impossible without taking cultural differences into account. Add to that the fact that animated/non-animated stuff has as many different priorites as products of different cultures have and just give up on topics like this ever attracting anyone but people who want to bash or praise either side. Anyone with a serious interest in making fair comparisons will know better and stay away from such topics.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 27, 2013 12:24 AM

Jul 2012
I prefer Live action shows and the series I think can compete have been repeated through out this thread so I wont bother.
Groovy_QJan 27, 2013 12:35 AM
Jan 27, 2013 12:29 AM

Feb 2012
My rational side tells me that Western Series are written better in every single way. But then again, being a film student, the style of writing that is taught as the 'right' way to write is very narrow.

When it comes to anime, despite the format of series of episodes I would liken anime to movies in structure and writing. Western TV series focus very much on the characters, and you would not last long in the business without realistic characters with fleshed-out character development arcs, inner and outer motivations, witty, polished dialogue and everything else under the sun. Though I'm mostly talking about AMC and HBO series, I legitimately have not dabbled in any western TV other than that, so I suppose I'm comparing anime to the cream of the crop of western writing.

However, I prefer the format of anime - and I only just figured this out the other day - but I adore the romanticism and not perfectly realistic stories. I find I can empathise with characters much more when it's not so completely realistic and I'm a total and utter romantic which is one of the biggest reasons I love Air so much.
Feb 10, 2013 7:19 PM

Jul 2012
Im suprised too see so many oppsoties It seems that you either watch alot of one or the other, me watching a little of each seems to be the minority.
Feb 10, 2013 7:21 PM

Oct 2010
The Wire was the last real good TV drama, IMO. Nothing else since then has come close.
Feb 11, 2013 2:07 AM

Oct 2012
I stopped watching TV a long time ago.I still watch some TV shows on my PC but they are no match to anime.
Feb 11, 2013 3:38 AM
Jan 2013
Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Suits, White Collar, and House are shows that I watch whenever they come on and they are better than most anime.
Feb 11, 2013 4:11 AM

Jul 2008
Quantum Leap is my favorite TV show ever :)
not only that if i made a list of my favorite (TV+Anime+Movies+Cartoon+comic+book+all media)
Quantum leap is No1 :D

yes i'm totally a fanboy

there are others Tv show :-
sliders
Doctor Who
The Adventures Of Brisco County Jr. (brouse cample)
Angle
According To Jim: Season 1
Cosby
The Golden Girls: The Complete 1st Season
Married... With Children: Season 1
Scrubs (i TV show that i hate alot at first, love like crazy now)
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Star Trek: TNG
Star Trek: DS9
Star Trek: Enterprise
Feb 11, 2013 4:16 AM

Dec 2012
I like TV series but i much prefer anime...

TV is always limited compared to anime, anime can literally do anything and do it well.

Feb 11, 2013 4:24 AM

Dec 2012
I haven't watched TV for a good 2 years or so, so it's only natural that I think anime is better.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Feb 11, 2013 5:52 AM

Apr 2012
Kamio-chan said:
My rational side tells me that Western Series are written better in every single way. But then again, being a film student, the style of writing that is taught as the 'right' way to write is very narrow.

When it comes to anime, despite the format of series of episodes I would liken anime to movies in structure and writing. Western TV series focus very much on the characters, and you would not last long in the business without realistic characters with fleshed-out character development arcs, inner and outer motivations, witty, polished dialogue and everything else under the sun. Though I'm mostly talking about AMC and HBO series, I legitimately have not dabbled in any western TV other than that, so I suppose I'm comparing anime to the cream of the crop of western writing.

However, I prefer the format of anime - and I only just figured this out the other day - but I adore the romanticism and not perfectly realistic stories. I find I can empathise with characters much more when it's not so completely realistic and I'm a total and utter romantic which is one of the biggest reasons I love Air so much.

Something that can be said about nearly all fields of human endeavour:

To become competent, you must learn how to follow the rules.

To become an expert, you must then learn how to break them.

So it's important that a writer knows how to write realistic characters, but it's generally a bad idea to actually do so. All you can do with a realistic character is tell stories about a fictional character. And ultimately, fictional characters are unimportant. They're made up, they don't really exist. So why care about them. But an unrealistic character can be so much more. At best, an unrealistic character can embody fundamental ideas like "hate" or "pity" or "love so strong it drives men to violence".

Take Misuzu from AIR. One thing you can observe about her story is that she successfully finds reason to live and be happy even in the face of hardship and impending doom. If AIR was some HBO show, she would be an imitation person, so that's all it would be. A story where a fictional character manages to find reason to live and be happy even in the face of hardship and impending doom. But because she's not realistic, she has the freedom to be so much more. Misuzu is the finding of reason to live and be happy even in the face of hardship and impending doom. (In the relevant parts of the story.) So it's no longer just a story about a fictional character. To nick a phrase from those Shakespeare fans who may be weird but do have good ideas sometimes, it's a story about the human condition. It's a story about something which countless real people over the globe will be trying to do right at this very moment, some of whom you might even know, maybe it could even be you at some point in the future. So unlike a fictional character, it's important. It's something worth caring about.

And even if nothing like this has ever been thought about by a person, or even makes sense, you recognise this sort of thing instinctively. A fictional character is something you look at on a TV screen. But what that character represents are the things which affect your life, the lives of loves ones, real people you don't know but care about anyway. And it makes the whole thing real. It's a connection to actual reality, rather than just the empty mimicry of reality. Which makes it worth caring about.

HBO stuff may be the pinnacle of TV writing as a craft. But writing is an art. It's communicating things the writer cares about, not making the perfect product according to the rules of the craft. (One of the reasons Key stuff works so well is that Jun Maeda clearly cares about the things he's writing about, constant topic of different sorts of 'family' and the like, so he communicates these feelings to the reader/viewer.) Which is why, for those who can process information in a sufficiently abstract way to like the fact that they're watching drawings rather than photo-realistic recordings and not get upset that they don't look real, the best of anime (and a few other things, some of which are even Western in origin) will always be so much more meaningful, so much more powerful, and ultimately, so much better than anything the conformity-and-correctness-inducing American television system can produce.
Sep 20, 2015 4:57 PM
Mar 2015
From the mainstream American TV series I've seen (Dexter, Walking Dead, Breaking Bad) they're really good at keeping you hooked and creating a lot of drama, but they're never deep enough for me. I also think they focus way too much on the drama genre, like in The Walking Dead, instead of showing how difficult it would be to produce food and survive from Zombies, it focused more attention on who slept with who, and the relationships between the group of people, which isn't very interesting/unique to me.

In my opinion Anime does a much better job with just about everything, while it might not hook you in the first few episodes, once you get invested in an anime series they don't disappoint. Most anime I've seen offer beautiful art while presenting a very complex, thought provoking plot. Different genres offer different shows for different moods, whether you want your mind blown with a thought provoking psychological anime, or you want to go on adventure to a mysterious world, anime offers so much more than American TV has ever offered me.

American TV doesn't even have a "Psychological" genre .-. (my favorite anime genre)

TLDR: American TV is generally more dramatic and cliche, while anime tends to be more thought provoking in my opinion.
Sep 20, 2015 5:14 PM

Sep 2015
I think real life series are overall better.
Friends, GoT, Breaking Bad, Sherlock, True Detective, Fargo, Scrubs and Psych are the real life series I consider somewhat masterpieces when it comes to animes there are only DN, CG, OP, HxH, FMA:B.

erjo5055 said:

TLDR: American TV is generally more dramatic and cliche, while anime tends to be more thought provoking in my opinion.

How is anime less cliche ?
Sep 20, 2015 5:16 PM

Aug 2013
Hmm I don't really think I can compare the two just because they're so different from each other. I have favorites with both types just more with anime currently :P

I love me some Ghost Whisperer though~
Sep 20, 2015 11:43 PM

Oct 2014
Anime_Name said:

If only boring shows get canceled, yes.

Uh, I don't think it takes a lot of observation to know that this isn't the case. I mean, one if my favourite tv shows, Jericho, was cancelled because of american idol.

There's quite a bit of bias floating around. There are plenty of non technical reasons one medium is better than the other, and people are mostly comparing technical details like drama quality or realness. That's not the main thing that separates both media.

The biggest contributing factor (that I'm surprised no one has mentioned) is the target audience is completely different. Culture-wise different things will interest different people. The reason I mostly dislike American dramas is because so many rely on gore, sex or violence as popularity fuel. The more gore, more sex the better it sells regardless of actual plot content (see true blood, game of thrones). Now granted, I enjoy game of thrones and the plotline is interesting but the sex is extremely unnecessary at times. That's why popular dramas that don't rely on it are usually really good (breaking bad, house md, house of cards). Though granted it's definitely one of the advantages live action has over anime (that violence/gore is more realistic and thus more immersive). Let's not even touch on how cringeworthy and mind numbingly boring american sitcoms are. I've laughed more in one season of anime than 10 of any american sitcom.

The second biggest problem is the unnecessary extension and prolonging of series to milk it dry, rather than ending them where they should. In that aspect breaking bad did well, instead of dragging the story any further it ended, a very short duration for its popularity level. So many dramas suffer from this sickness. House md is one of them, though I enjoyed it because I like watching the character interactions, it was kind of obvious they ran out of ways to execute cases a few seasons in. I stay away from long running anime for this reason, and I get to pick and choose shorter, well received shows or shows that have been fully adapted/concluded. At least anime has this option. There are very few tv shows if any that have ended in less than 5 seasons of their own volition. Even extremely popular manga like bakuman, mushishi and death note ended in no more than 3 seasons.

Now if we get into the technicals, imo there are 2 main points. Anime can be more expressive in its own unique way because of how you can portray an unrealistic expression or emotion, taking things to the extreme (eg steam coming out of your ears). But with good acting, live action can become very immersive and emotionally engaging when you can really feel the emotion from more subtle queues via facial expressions and body language.

TL;DR: different target audience, unnecessary story dragging, unique technical differences

Each have their own appeal. Neither is strictly "better"
Sep 20, 2015 11:55 PM

May 2012
I only watch anime and thats because knowing me, If I were to jump over to that medium today, I'll end up with a huge backlog which is something I would really hate to experience again.
Sep 21, 2015 12:02 AM
Feb 2013
If you like mushishi atmosphere, Black Mirror has a similar feel to it, and its very good. The show is episodic and each episode tells a very interesting dark tale
Jan 31, 2016 1:22 PM
Feb 2013
i completely despise tv shows, I usually watch only shonen animes and they are far beter than tv series. While on tv series the aim is to make as much episodes and seasons as possible by stuffing every episode with cheap drama and characters soap-opera anime focus on a precise story without forgetting about character development. For isntance, in most animes the true protagonists are very few, while in tv shows they love to create as many as possible so every retarded watching the tv can at least relate to someone.
Look at walking dead, that show is crap, it could be a drama buhu story with zombies setting, there isn't anything more.. Anime have a far lower audience which doesn't influence or pilot the story. It stays as it was meant to be, ok sometimes you have fillers but they are clearly fillers and can be easily distinguished from the story.
Feb 2, 2016 11:41 AM

Oct 2015
I barely even care about TV anymore the only thing I'm really watching right now is the X-Files mini series. I just find anime more interesting.
Feb 2, 2016 11:52 AM

Sep 2011
Random X Vs Y Thread. Both are totally different. While they both air on TV, TV shows are totally different than that of anime.

Thread Locked
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
9 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

57 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 6 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
17 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

8 by Tirinchas »»
46 minutes ago

» Which anime(s) would any of your favorite characters watch?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.