Forum Settings
Forums

Do fillers influence what you rate an anime?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 9, 2012 12:43 PM
Jun 2011
I generally enjoy anime-only episodes because they offer a new and unique story. Like Fairy Tail, Naruto, and Detective Conan. So I guess. Always find it silly when people go crazy mad when the anime does it's own thing.. like getting MORE story than the manga is somehow a bad thing.
Sep 9, 2012 12:58 PM

Sep 2010
sasuke_kun said:
Offcourse it does, you cant just take out the bad and ignore when youre going to rate the show. Thats stupid on every level.

If someone doesn't watch fillers then they can't rate an anime based on those unseen fillers. Calling unseen fillers bad or downrating a show based on content you haven't actually watched for yourself is stupid on every level.

Sep 9, 2012 1:37 PM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
ZetaZaku said:
One Piece also has problems with this, but it's difficult to judge it since it's an adventure, and the story is...exploring. Even though nothing happened between Arabasta and Water 7, it's weird calling Skypia a filler, even though it sucked ass and didn't do anything for the story nor character development. You could skip all those 100 episodes and watch Water 7 right away and wouldn't miss out anything.

With Bleach over 155 of the 366 episodes are filler with most of them happening during a major arc, Naruto is about 1/3 taking place usually in between arcs but there are some during.One piece only has a little over 80 out of 563 that's in between arcs, that's as little in a long running shounen anime that you will ever get. Why would you call Skypia a filler? Even if there was no character development or story developement it's still canon(which there was story developement). I don't know how much episodes you got to because your list only says 60, but something in the Skypia arc becomes pretty relevant later and that's also where Nico Robin found out that Roger could understand the Poneglyphs and that the rio poneglyph could be on raftel. The manga even showed Enel after he escaped, and what they showed could become important later on, basically you would lose out if you skipped Skypia.

So what, one scene in 100 episodes makes them all relevant? Still nothing much happened except for that one scene. They could have easily made someone just mention it and it'd be the same, except without 100ep fillers. Also, all episodes are canon. You can't say that fillers aren't canon. And just because it happened in the manga, doesn't mean that it ain't filler.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 9, 2012 1:49 PM

Nov 2010
ZetaZaku said:
So what, one scene in 100 episodes makes them all relevant? Still nothing much happened except for that one scene. They could have easily made someone just mention it and it'd be the same, except without 100ep fillers. Also, all episodes are canon. You can't say that fillers aren't canon. And just because it happened in the manga, doesn't mean that it ain't filler.

First of all the Skypia arc was only 43 episodes, unless you are counting Jaya which was 9 episodes and pretty important because that's where they first meet Blackbeard and we first see Donflamingo disciplining bellamy. How could someone have easily mentioned it? the only people who knew about the poneglyph were Roger's crew because it was hidden way up above where only Roger has gotten to it since it went up there, and also that the Skypians use
becomes relevant later, and don't forget about Enel
, and besides you are saying that it should be considered filler because you didn't like the arc, that's all opinion. Fillers are anime only episodes that are usually put in the anime to give the manga artist more time to get ahead from the anime.

And what episode have you gotten to?
Sep 9, 2012 1:58 PM
Sep 2012
well imo if the fillers are good then they only give plus rating but if there bad then you can just skip then not changing your opinion at all thats just the way i think about it.
Sep 9, 2012 3:11 PM

Sep 2008
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:
Offcourse it does, you cant just take out the bad and ignore when youre going to rate the show. Thats stupid on every level.

If someone doesn't watch fillers then they can't rate an anime based on those unseen fillers. Calling unseen fillers bad or downrating a show based on content you haven't actually watched for yourself is stupid on every level.

Dont quote me out of context, thats just part one of the argument. Anime is NOT the same package as the manga.

Fillers are somtimes impossible to not see. I remember seeing the first episodes of Beelzebub, i loved the manga but wanted to die when i saw the anime. Talk about turning something awesome into rubbish. Each and every episode where fillers. I gave when there was only like 13 episodes out.
Sep 9, 2012 3:49 PM
May 2012
Yes. An anime should be rated on all of it's parts, just like anything else.
Sep 9, 2012 4:21 PM

Feb 2008
IntroverTurtle said:

Ennies Lobby. Nico Robin's flashback. I'm not talking only about Skypia. Everything that happened after Arabasta and before Water 7 was filler. Sure, maybe few episodes had some story, but everything that happened didn't really serve any purpose to the story. It's like that Shippuuden filler arc with Asuma.

And no, fillers aren't just anime original episodes. That wouldn't make any sense, since manga/books/tv shows/video games have fillers too. Example X Files. Most episodes that weren't about aliens and conspiracy were fillers.

Sep 9, 2012 4:49 PM
May 2010
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:

Except skipping filler is an implication you think it is bad, or at least inferior to the rest of the show, and you should lower the rank accordingly, tbh.
Worships Asparagus.
Sep 9, 2012 5:07 PM

Nov 2010
ZetaZaku said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Ennies Lobby. Nico Robin's flashback. I'm not talking only about Skypia. Everything that happened after Arabasta and before Water 7 was filler. Sure, maybe few episodes had some story, but everything that happened didn't really serve any purpose to the story. It's like that Shippuuden filler arc with Asuma.

And no, fillers aren't just anime original episodes. That wouldn't make any sense, since manga/books/tv shows/video games have fillers too. Example X Files. Most episodes that weren't about aliens and conspiracy were fillers.

I don't care about the definition when talking about books, tv shows, and video games. When talking about anime, filler episodes are episodes put in by the company producing the anime to give the manga more time to get ahead. urban dictionary definition, tvtropes definition, and the One Piece Episode Guide that lists only the anime only episodes as filler.

All of it except for the fillers(with the definition I gave) are meant to be there by the Author, you can't take out any episode that might not have much story or character developement and call them fillers, because the author added them for a reason, and no matter how little story or character developement there is in an arc, you can't call that arc filler, which there was important stuff in the Jaya and Skypia arc, I don't know about the Davy back fight, he might appear in the new world and be important, you don't know. The Jaya, Skypia, and Davy back fight arcs are canon while the others in between Alabasta and water 7 are filler. And if you have only gotten to enies lobby, how do you know that anything is actually filler since you don't know and or haven't gotten to the place when those become relevant.
Sep 9, 2012 10:05 PM

Sep 2010
sasuke_kun said:
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:

Dont quote me out of context, thats just part one of the argument. Anime is NOT the same package as the manga.

Fillers are somtimes impossible to not see. I remember seeing the first episodes of Beelzebub, i loved the manga but wanted to die when i saw the anime. Talk about turning something awesome into rubbish. Each and every episode where fillers. I gave when there was only like 13 episodes out.

What did I misquote? You think that if someone doesn't watch filler that it is stupid on every level if they don't also downgrade the anime based on what they haven't even seen. You presume that the filler is bad when it could just as easily be that the person simply wants to see the canon animated and has no interest in watching non-canon episodes.

So what if the beginning fillers in Belzebub weren't easy to ignore. That isn't the only anime out there and there are plenty of websites that track and catalog episodes as filler or canon which in turn helps certain individuals skip as much filler as possible if they like.

Sep 9, 2012 11:51 PM

Feb 2012
ZetaZaku said:

That wouldn't make any sense, since manga/books/tv shows/video games have fillers too. Example X Files. Most episodes that weren't about aliens and conspiracy were fillers.

Or alternatively, everything about aliens and conspiracy were filler. To many people, maybe even most, it was an episodic supernatural mystery show first and foremost.
Sep 10, 2012 12:21 AM

Oct 2008
Probably somewhat but I mostly skip fillers if I can even if it means putting that show on hold...Fairy Tail....Bleach. I usually rate based on overall enjoyment and how much I like the characters.
Sep 10, 2012 1:49 AM

Apr 2008
It depends....
1. how long are the fillers
2. how creative are the fillers

If it's something totally stupid, like slapstick comedy within a dramatic series or dramatic story arc where the characters' behaviour goes completely against how they would normally act, then I'm annoyed. If fillers are longer than 5 consecutive episodes, then I'm annoyed

I like fillers if the characters operate within their usual profile or if they want to focus on other supporting characters that usually don't get a lot of spotlight. then I'm cool with that as well
Sep 10, 2012 3:04 AM

Aug 2012
miereneronaile said:
Can I ask why fillers WOULD NOT impact anyone's ratings? Even if you skip them, they are still a part of the show and they are frequently inferior to the rest of whatever show they are in(Not always, I know, dont bother saying it)

I mean, it seems to me that not letting fillers influence the rating is like ignoring the ending of a show when rating it because you didnt enjoy it..

maybe its their favorite show. of course if they intend to rate it with the fillers, its going down hard. but a little white lie on their fave anime wont hurt. if said anime have or without fillers it should be rated as whole.
Lyndon_OngSep 10, 2012 5:57 AM
Sep 10, 2012 3:10 AM

Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:

that's why i don't watch anime anymore with fillers. hence if i skip it i wont be able to put it on my completed anime list.
i think any anime that you skipped even a single episode shouldn't be part of your completed anime list.
Sep 10, 2012 3:21 AM

Aug 2012
I try not to let fillers get in the way of me judging a show. /Some/ fillers can be useful, like that obligatory "we have no idea what to write this week, so lets have all the characters sit around a fire and reminiscent about their past so we can just stitch old scenes together" for new comers to a long running show.
Sep 10, 2012 3:38 AM

Jul 2011
a lot
Sep 10, 2012 3:46 AM

Feb 2010
Yes, greatly so.

Now first, my definition of fillers is not 'episodes that differ from the manga', but rather 'episodes that do not contribute to the plot and can be skipped without problems'.

Comedy shows often don't suffer problems from this, as they might not have a plot in the first place, nor could such an episode be bad as long as it's funny, but there's a whole bunch of semi-serious shows who throw in a couple fanservice/nonsense episodes that contribute next to nothing to what is supposed to be done and are just used as a cheap way to fill up the amount of episodes they were supposed to air.

There's a margin of what I consider to be alright. If your show is a double season, it's not bad if you put in a filler episode every 6 to 10 or so episodes. If it's any more than a double season, of course you get filler episodes, perhaps even filler arcs. For shame, there's nothing you can do about it.

If it's a single season, at most 1 filler episode is what I can tolerate before I go mad. The most egregrious example is Arcana Famiglia, which promised something really cool in the first episode, then spammed us with 5 filler episodes right from episode 2 and onwards. This is a 12 episode anime. I was expecting something that had at least 75% plot and perhaps less than 25% nonsense, but I think it might be the other way around, for shame. I dropped it.

I know a lot of people who watch the holy trinity of mainstream anime. (Naruto/Bleach/One Piece) Most of them switched to reading the manga, their main reasons being filler episodes. I would recommend them not to read/watch the holy trinity of mainstream in the first place, as there's better ways to spend your time.
Sep 10, 2012 6:28 AM

Sep 2010
shmirkies said:
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:

that's why i don't watch anime anymore with fillers. hence if i skip it i wont be able to put it on my completed anime list.
i think any anime that you skipped even a single episode shouldn't be part of your completed anime list.

If you switch that "your" to just "my" then we'll be in agreement. You can do whatever the hell you like with your anime list but I'm getting sick of people my anime list needs to be like your anime list.

Good luck with the whole not watching anime with fillers thing. That might work well for anime with a known amount of filler but you can't predict what new adaptations will or will not have filler. Having such an absolute rule seems for ridiculous for TV shows.

Sep 10, 2012 7:06 AM

Sep 2010
LEGOF said:
Yes. Anything that makes me feel like I'm not enjoying it will lower the score.

And anything that makes you enjoy it will increase the score.

Here's the million dollar question.
Why are so many people assuming the filler in an anime is worse than the whatever canon there is? Some anime have bad filler and some have good. From what I've seen quality of both non-canon and canon fluctuates sometimes to the point where a good non-canon episode is better than a bad canon episode.

Sep 10, 2012 7:18 AM

Jun 2012
It depends on if it is a bad filler (what it mostly is) or a good filler. I stopped mid-way in watching bleach because I just could' t stand the fillers anymore. But the Bounto arc (don' t know if spelled correctly :3) was worth watching but some people consider it as a filler arc because it isn' t about the main story. If it frustrates me then I'll rate it lower then before the fillers.
Sep 10, 2012 8:11 AM

Sep 2010
It depends if its good filler and no recaps my score stays the same or will rise depending. same goes to series that do not have any filler/recaps if its good it will be rated highly.

If its shitty filler and the series also has recaps then my score will drop. Also if the story is shit without any filler/recap low score.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Sep 10, 2012 8:26 AM

Feb 2012
Roloko said:
It depends if its good filler and no recaps my score stays the same or will rise depending. same goes to series that do not have any filler/recaps if its good it will be rated highly.

If its shitty filler and the series also has recaps then my score will drop. Also if the story is shit without any filler/recap low score.

I hate recaps so much more than fillers.

Sep 10, 2012 9:18 AM

Feb 2008
Looterz said:
I hate recaps so much more than fillers.

At least you can skip them, since they are..recaps. Like Wolf Rain. That show had like 4 recaps, and the show is 2 cour.

Sep 10, 2012 11:44 PM

Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:
shmirkies said:
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:

If you switch that "your" to just "my" then we'll be in agreement. You can do whatever the hell you like with your anime list but I'm getting sick of people my anime list needs to be like your anime list.

Good luck with the whole not watching anime with fillers thing. That might work well for anime with a known amount of filler but you can't predict what new adaptations will or will not have filler. Having such an absolute rule seems for ridiculous for TV shows. [/quot
Anime_Name said:
shmirkies said:
Anime_Name said:
sasuke_kun said:

Good luck with the whole not watching anime with fillers thing. That might work well for anime with a known amount of filler but you can't predict what new adaptations will or will not have filler. Having such an absolute rule seems for ridiculous for TV shows.

why would you label an anime completed when it's incomplete, so skipping some of your anime content or episodes shouldn't be part of your list.
it's just common sense right?
Sep 11, 2012 12:06 AM

Sep 2010
why would you label an anime completed when it's incomplete, so skipping some of your anime content or episodes shouldn't be part of your list.

Because I don't label shows as complete, the site does. The site doesn't allow for the exclusion of random episodes. The site is setup in such a way that once you say you see the final known episode of a series the site calls it completed. The only common sense there is knowing the limitations of the site and using it as best I can.

A person including an anime on their list that they skipped episodes of would be their call to make and perhaps some would figure if they saw the majority of the content and everything that was actually relevant to the story or canon that it is good enough for their lists. The common sense there would be allowing for people to manage their lists the best way they see fit in accordance to the rules set up by MAL and not another common user's preference.

Sep 11, 2012 6:08 AM

Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:

Because I don't label shows as complete, the site does. The site doesn't allow for the exclusion of random episodes. The site is setup in such a way that once you say you see the final known episode of a series the site calls it completed. The only common sense there is knowing the limitations of the site and using it as best I can.

A person including an anime on their list that they skipped episodes of would be their call to make and perhaps some would figure if they saw the majority of the content and everything that was actually relevant to the story or canon that it is good enough for their lists. The common sense there would be allowing for people to manage their lists the best way they see fit in accordance to the rules set up by MAL and not another common user's preference.

simple solution, don't label it as completed. you can put it under on-hold because it's not finished and it make sense.
Lyndon_OngSep 11, 2012 7:26 AM
Sep 11, 2012 6:53 AM

Jul 2007
It does for sure. Depending on the quality of the fillers my score stays the same or it drops 1 or 2 points based on the enjoyment i get out of the fillers.
Sep 11, 2012 7:07 AM

Feb 2005
Obviously, when I score a anime, I score what I'm seeing on the screen, , so if they fuck up and throw in lots of bad fillers, then obviously that's going to influence the score.

And that's not just limited to filler deviating from any original source either. Any form of pointless addition that does not progress the story (in a otherwise story oriented series) or cause character exposition is obviously also filler.
The aim of most stories should be to immerse the viewer into a believable and organically flowing plot, and anything that breaks this illusion, be it stupid plot devices or fillers breaking up the flow, clearly leaves a negative impact on the final product.
Sep 11, 2012 7:14 AM

Mar 2012
fillers are a part of the anime, and if you have to wait another week until the next real episode releases, its always a bother, especially if this continues for a long time.
Sep 11, 2012 7:18 AM
Sep 11, 2012 7:33 AM

Sep 2010
shmirkies said:
Anime_Name said:

simple solution, don't label it as completed. you can put it under on-hold because it's not finished and it make sense.

That's not a simple solution. That is just how you want to do it. There are other solutions and the one I am using works fine for me.

The shows are not on hold as the fillers I decided to skip are not going to be watched by me ever nor is calling the show dropped more correct. The most accurate description available on MAL for anime that I have skipped filler for but seen all of the canon of is 'completed' and unless a MAL admin comes up with a better description or way to breakdown episodes that is how I manage my list.

Sep 11, 2012 8:13 AM

Nov 2010
Yeah, totally.
Sep 11, 2012 8:35 AM

Sep 2012
yes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2012 9:53 AM

Aug 2012
Anime_Name said:
shmirkies said:
Anime_Name said:

That's not a simple solution. That is just how you want to do it. There are other solutions and the one I am using works fine for me.

The shows are not on hold as the fillers I decided to skip are not going to be watched by me ever nor is calling the show dropped more correct. The most accurate description available on MAL for anime that I have skipped filler for but seen all of the canon of is 'completed' and unless a MAL admin comes up with a better description or way to breakdown episodes that is how I manage my list.

No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude.
Sep 11, 2012 9:56 AM

Dec 2008
I don't watch the fillers, so no.
Sep 11, 2012 12:22 PM

Mar 2010
yes
especially in naruto
Sep 11, 2012 1:30 PM

Sep 2010
shmirkies said:

No rational argument will have a rational effect on a man who does not want to adopt a rational attitude.

Wonderfully said and that's what your problem has been since the beginning.

Sep 11, 2012 1:44 PM
May 2007
it fucked up rurouni kenshin anime for me to some degree. but i think if the jinchu arc got animated, it would have saved it for me
Sep 11, 2012 4:26 PM

Dec 2008
yea, if theres fillers they better be more interresting than the main show if not its going to get a low score.
FMP is one of the few if not the only one which fillers i like, but hey, all of the second season was fillers.
Sep 12, 2012 12:22 AM

Aug 2012
ParaParaJMo said:
it fucked up rurouni kenshin anime for me to some degree. but i think if the jinchu arc got animated, it would have saved it for me

rurouni kenshin should have ended after shishio and his gang lost to kenshin.
but they kept going until that amakuza and feng sui guy, which was extremely boring. i cant really remember in detail hence its my first completed anime.

to make things short, fillers ruined it. just like any other anime.
Sep 12, 2012 5:31 PM

Mar 2012
It depends. Fillers annoy me when it's really obvious that they're fillers. But otherwise I don't really mind. I would never skip fillers anyway, just in case they do have an impact on later episodes.
Sep 12, 2012 5:53 PM

Jul 2010
yeah, depends on how entertaining they are.

Sep 13, 2012 2:19 AM

Apr 2010
If I'm watching while it's airing, then yes. But if I'm marathoner after it finished airing, I usually skip the fillers.
Sep 17, 2012 4:07 PM

Sep 2011
Yes: if they're entertaining.

No: if they aren't.

Sep 17, 2012 4:18 PM
May 2012
Absolutely.

Animes such as Bleach and Naruto immediately lose my complete respect with all of the fillers. I would rate them higher if they didn't have so many. Not to mention that the fillers aren't "good" fillers imo either, unlike FT's extravagant fillers.

Also, Naruto and Bleach have fights that last over 20 episodes...People easily get bored with that too.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Which series should be watched by every anime enthusiast? ( 1 2 )

Rally- - Sep 23

74 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
4 minutes ago

» What Anime is boring to you ( 1 2 )

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 24

57 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

19 by MasterTasuke »»
12 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 3 hours ago

8 by Tirinchas »»
41 minutes ago

» Which anime(s) would any of your favorite characters watch?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

14 by IpreferEcchi »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.