Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 25, 2010 12:21 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Great series must start somewhere.

And Kappei Yamaguchi and Ikue Ohtani starring in another long series, learn something everyday.
May 24, 2010 5:56 PM

Jun 2009
Ok just watched the first episode and i am sold dude this is kick ass.I love the feel of the anime from the start I dont know what else to say i am going to enjoy this show and i have plenty to watch
Jun 1, 2010 10:12 AM
Mar 2008
NinjaRudy said:
Ok just watched the first episode and i am sold dude this is kick ass.I love the feel of the anime from the start I dont know what else to say i am going to enjoy this show and i have plenty to watch

I completely agree with you.

I've been putting off starting this show (but also been craving it) for a long time since I was missing a lot of the episodes due to them not yet being subbed. After I was finally able to collect the first couple hundred episodes with subs I figured it was time to begin this wonderful anime, and I can't be more pleased with that decision. I know I will enjoy watching this show for a long time to come.
Aug 16, 2010 7:25 PM

Jul 2010
I see, no one has created an episode 1 discussion.

Anyway, seems like an interesting show. 500+ episodes to catch up on.
JawaeseAug 16, 2010 8:38 PM
Sep 14, 2010 3:00 PM
Nov 2009
Jawaese said:
I see, no one has created an episode 1 discussion.

Anyway, seems like an interesting show. 500+ episodes to catch up on.

agreed lol.
Dec 24, 2010 1:25 PM

Aug 2009
And here I go, starting to watch a show that spans 600 episodes and counting. Oh god, what am I getting myself into? lol

Leaving that aside, that was a pretty good first episode. I think I'm gonna enjoy this show, even if it takes years just to catch up on.
"I know about people who talk about suffering for the common good. It's never bloody them! When you hear a man shouting "Forward, brave comrades!" you'll see he's the one behind the bloody big rock and the one wearing the only really arrow-proof helmet!"

-- Rincewind gives a speech on politics. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)
Jul 7, 2011 12:33 PM
Apr 2010
Finally decided to start it...and dam do i have a long way to go to catch up,lol
English dub is great.Funimation did a good job there to bad they stoped dubbing it.
Sent with Mal Updater
Nov 30, 2011 7:57 PM

May 2008
Finally started watching the series. +600 episodes and counting. It Now Begins.
Jun 7, 2012 9:38 PM

Apr 2011
TechDragon said:
Finally started watching the series. +600 episodes and counting. It Now Begins.

Yeah that's how I feel, I've started it a bunch of times and never gotten very far, let's get this party started!

P.S. His voice get's cute when he turns into a kid!
Aug 22, 2012 7:35 PM

Aug 2010
Stopped watching 2 minutes into it due to the subs I'm too set on the dubs
I'll pick up the dubs for now and hopefully be brave enough to watch the subs when I get to season 6.. hopefully.
Aug 23, 2012 9:36 PM

Jul 2012
Ah I didn't find this thread when I wanted to post. XD I actually watched episode 1, around a week ago.
Anyways, I'm watching dubs for now. I find it equivalent to the subs in skill-wise and I'm more comfortable with English over Jap obviously...I'd rather just listen to the audio and focus on the video more. :)

I have to say, what a wonderful series! Even the beginning is great. :D

Threepwood said:
And here I go, starting to watch a show that spans 600 episodes and counting. Oh god, what am I getting myself into? lol

Same! LOL
Aug 24, 2012 5:11 PM

Apr 2011
I recommend you guys (or should I say girls? :p) switch to english subs as quick as possible, especially if you don't plan on dropping it. It's not going to get dubbed over and I promise you'll get used to the subbed version very fast, probably within 5-10 episodes. The dub is kind of annoying because the english producers changed the names of the main characters. Also a lot of the tricks and puzzles are related directly to the Japanese language and the translation to English usually butchers them.
Aug 24, 2012 5:17 PM

Aug 2012
giraffesyo said:
I recommend you guys (or should I say girls? :p) switch to english subs as quick as possible, especially if you don't plan on dropping it. It's not going to get dubbed over and I promise you'll get used to the subbed version very fast, probably within 5-10 episodes. The dub is kind of annoying because the english producers changed the names of the main characters. Also a lot of the tricks and puzzles are related directly to the Japanese language and the translation to English usually butchers them.

I agree. Most of detective conan cases have evidences or explanations that requires the japanese sub and can only be explained by it
Aug 24, 2012 5:21 PM

Aug 2012
meepsheep said:
Ah I didn't find this thread when I wanted to post. XD I actually watched episode 1, around a week ago.
Anyways, I'm watching dubs for now. I find it equivalent to the subs in skill-wise and I'm more comfortable with English over Jap obviously...I'd rather just listen to the audio and focus on the video more. :)

Threepwood said:

Same! LOL

the series really is great. the movies are aswell but they keep the romance stuff to a minimum level so it focuses in solving cases and hunting the black organization. as giraffesyo said we strongly recommend you switch to jap subs because to understand most cases and the evidence you need jap subs to explain stuff like kanji characters or when they note how two things sound the same but different meanings. you wont understand it with english dub. you'll get used to subs in 5-10 eps. but its just a recommendation so you can understand it alot better, you dont have to do it
Aug 24, 2012 9:57 PM

Jul 2012
kusoatsui said:
meepsheep said:

Threepwood said:

Same! LOL

the series really is great. the movies are aswell but they keep the romance stuff to a minimum level so it focuses in solving cases and hunting the black organization. as giraffesyo said we strongly recommend you switch to jap subs because to understand most cases and the evidence you need jap subs to explain stuff like kanji characters or when they note how two things sound the same but different meanings. you wont understand it with english dub. you'll get used to subs in 5-10 eps. but its just a recommendation so you can understand it alot better, you dont have to do it

Alright. :) I'll give it a try! XD Thanks.
...And yeah, it's kinda annoying how all the names are um...Westernized. LOL
May 22, 2013 6:12 PM

Nov 2010
Wow this is even more cliche than I remember it the first time. If she was able to hide the hook in her purse, why didn't she do the same with the wire.
Jun 1, 2013 6:08 AM

Mar 2013
This is my first long anime ever... I hope I'll be able to catch up somehow, someday...
Jul 30, 2013 7:14 PM

Mar 2012
My body is ready for the 700+ episodes that i still need to watch xD Looking like a good series so far.
Jan 10, 2014 3:44 PM

Apr 2012
Started today. I mean how long can it be.... What? over 700 episodes!! Plus OVAs and movies??!! oh. Meh might finish before I die. Anyhoo nice first episode. Used to watch the old Sherlock movies when I was a kid and this feels a bit like them.
Mar 22, 2014 7:12 AM

Aug 2013
Seems decent... wonder if I'll end up loving it.
Mar 23, 2014 1:46 AM

Jan 2014
Re-watching... Don't know where I've stopped...
Anyways... I know already it will be awesome! :D
Aug 28, 2014 9:47 AM

Mar 2014
1 down, only 749 (and more) to go! Better get cracking lol
Nov 19, 2014 3:18 PM

Dec 2012
:o
Nov 29, 2014 7:46 PM

Jun 2011
re-watching the anime... forgot what episode i've stopped. xD 757 to go!
Jan 10, 2015 9:37 AM

Jul 2013
this was the first anime i ever watched (that was before i even knew what anime was haha) so much more awesome now that i actually understand his backstory and all
May 18, 2015 1:41 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Great first ep. Just Love this show. Seen most of the stuff until ep 300.
Can't wait to continue watching this show.
I just love Detektiv Conan

May 18, 2015 1:48 PM

May 2014
Looks like I'll rewatch the first episode :p

Feb 15, 2016 1:03 PM

Feb 2015
Rewatching again! Conan is the best.
Mar 14, 2016 3:55 PM

Mar 2012
Couldn't resist the urge to rewatch as well!

Wow, that girl was crazy as hell for killing her ex-boyfriend just because he dumped her o_O
Apr 5, 2016 3:05 PM
May 2010
Ah, here we are. The very first episode of probably the longest-running anime in history. It was a remastered version of the episode I had just watched. Good to see that the HD-upgrade has not taken away the awkward drawing of the characters from back then. Conan has taken a more realistic human shape nowadays, but classic character designs like these still retain their charm.

The episode opens with high school detective Kudo Shinichi confidently talking his way through a deduction. For much of the series, whenever this guy walks into a room, everyone will listen to him talk. That's just how shounen anime works, apparently. Never underestimate their plot-armor. But to be fair, the deductions adapted from the manga are often logical and convincing enough that Kudo could pass off as the "Heisei-era Sherlock Holmes" (or "the modern day Holmes of Japan"), as the press had labeled him.

Funny thing about Kudo and Holmes is that our hero often sung praises about Conan Doyle and his books, but this anime character was the one who got me interested in Holmes in the first place. "He's always calm and composed no matter the situation," said Kudo of Holmes, "and he's practically overflowing with intelligence and refinement! And his keen powers of observation and deduction are unparalleled!" It's almost like he's describing himself, as you'll come to see in the series. Kudo always has a kind of finesse that grabs everyone's attention in the room, and his observational skills are almost god-like that some parodies portrayed him as an overpowered psychic. ;D Like, seriously, he could see the dirt on your shoe and could tell that you've ran eight miles off the coast of Costa Rica or some s***. This guy's deductive skills would make Cumberbatch look bad in his own take of Sherlock.

Some time when the DC manga was released, other teenage detectives like him had appeared on the scene as well, including Kindaichi from the "Kindaichi Case Files", and the CLAMP detectives from "CLAMP School Detectives", both first published in '92. The good thing about these younger detectives is that you could pass these gentlemen off as snarky, sarcastic geniuses who make adults look bad and the hearts of young girls flutter. Oddly enough, none of these detectives I've mentioned were ever like that, even Kudo himself. While he can come off as a bit obnoxious in off-hours, when deducting, he's often serious, professional, and even pacifistic. In fact, he's so well-rounded as a person that over the years I began to treat him like a Gary-Stu, wishing that he had at least some flaws in his early days as a detective that made him look reckless and brash. While it was indeed his own carelessness that caused him to be shrunken into the body of a seven year old by the main antagonists of the series (more on that later), later flashbacks indicated that he was nowhere near obnoxious in his pre-shrinking days.

As mentioned earlier, I gained my interest in Holmes from watching the anime. Often in the show, Kudo would recite something from the books, like in this episode, when he mentions the first time Sherlock met his assistant, Watson, how he could tell he went to Afghanistan as a medic by merely shaking his hand. Kudo proceeded to demonstrate the same technique immediately to deduce the identity of a female gymnast - with the additional observation of some pressure marks on her thighs. Yeah, anime boys and their perviness. Don't ask.

The titular murder soon occurs in the now famous Tropical Land theme park that would be referenced multiple times later in the series as the last place Kudo took Ran to a date before he got turned into a small child. Speaking of Mouri Ran, don't pay too much heed to her Japanese name. I know it's a strange name in English, but being the purist that I am, I've always preferred it to the name of "Rachael Moore" they gave her in the American-licensed dub, which just sounds like another kind of weird in my book.

The classic "Roller Coaster Murder Case" is actually pretty simple for the series' pilot episode. Guy cheats on girl and girl gets revenge on guy by hooking the necklace he gave her onto his neck - during the roller coaster ride. Not a good way to go. Simple as it is, the effective delivery of the emotional background score (playing as the murdereress explains her motive) was enough to got me bawling nearly everytime. :'( ;D It's funny that I had got emotional over this despite having seen the same kind of revenge-killing so many times. Kudo mentions in this episode that he has no such problems as he's pretty much desensitized to the whole thing after so many cases. As mentioned, the element that strike an emotional chord in this show is the music orchestrated by the famous Katsuo Ono Band who will be scoring for pretty much the entire series. You might say it's emotionally-manipulative and, dare I say it, schmaltzy, but surprising enough, I was okay with the schmaltz here, probably because I grew up with it and became used to the dramatic tune that plays everytime something tragic happens in the show.

And honestly, the soundtrack is well-made enough that one should give it a listen, regardless of having seen or having interest in the show or not:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBFAB41DB241E8037

There are a few 'cliches' in the show that have already presented themselves in this episode. The first one is that the murderer/ess will almost always explain his motive after the deduction show. None of that interrogation at the station, nope. Straight off, after being exposed as the culprit, he just conveniently spills everything about why he did it to further the emotional impact. lol It might seem cheap, but it's effective in emphasizing the drama of the story, especially for bleeding-hearts like myself. The second cliche is that jerks will almost always die first, so don't be a jerk in this show.

As the episode comes to an end, our dear young Kudo eavesdrop on an illegal business deal going on with some men in black (no, not the Sonnenfeld kind) who are, as we later find out, part of a shadow organization conveniently named... you guessed it, "Black". Yep. That's anime naming for you. Of course, Kudo's carelessness made him miss the top dog of the organization, Gin himself, who sneaks up behind him and hits him on the head with a metal bat. Honestly, in real life, such a concussion would nearly kill you or cause brain damage. Gin then proceeds to force-feed him an experimental drug that finally turns him into the little seven year old boy we all now know and love.

Why create a drug that de-ages you? Why not? It's a fountain of youth.

4/5 (Not bad for a pilot)
Oct 29, 2017 6:32 AM

Jan 2015
Rewatching this episode after a long time!
Last time I watched the anime was 4 or 5 years ago on TV.
I am going to watch it again.
Dec 2, 2018 11:13 PM

Oct 2015
I disliked how they censored the severed head and it's strange to see them introduce Conan's friends so early.
Jul 3, 2019 1:43 PM
Apr 2016
Well, Conan's personality is way different than I expected it to be. Really clever plot, loved it. Looking forward to this long long long anime.
Oct 30, 2019 4:14 PM

May 2016
My memories with this anime goes back to 2003 T-T
Jan 14, 2020 11:52 AM
Jan 2020
I like detective cona dont end it...
Make more suspense...make more bosses of organization...even though if revealed...make another boss of him
Sep 3, 2020 2:06 AM

Jun 2020
Been holding off on Conan since forever and holy shit? This is actually good, I'm sold

I watched a few episodes as a kid but didn't remember shit lol
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 12, 2020 6:45 PM

Apr 2020
Just started the long journey XD I can already tell this is going to become one of my favorite anime.
Feb 13, 2021 3:16 PM
Feb 2021
This anime is promising... and really long too. I hope I can reach the end before I die of spontaneous combustion
Feb 25, 2021 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
opal909 said:
this was the first anime i ever watched (that was before i even knew what anime was haha) so much more awesome now that i actually understand his backstory and all

SAMEEEEEEE IT WAS MY FIRST ANIME AND I NEVER KNEW ANIME :DDDDDD
Apr 10, 2021 10:34 PM
Sep 2020
The journey has beguns ヘ( ̄ω ̄ヘ) (1000+ eps LOL)
May 19, 2021 2:41 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Beheaded in a rollercoaster that's harsh... and wow, that's actually how he became little
Jun 26, 2021 8:48 AM
Jun 2021
I love detective conan, bought the manga, but prefer the anime.
I have a feeling that I will not get to see the ending.
I hope that is not the case.
Sep 19, 2021 5:45 PM

Jan 2021
Even though this is long. This looks really promising.
Nov 18, 2021 9:00 AM
Nov 2021
Where can I watch this
Aug 13, 2022 10:58 AM

Aug 2022
I'm getting the feeling that Shinichi mentioned in just 1st episode.
Oct 23, 2022 8:31 PM
Oct 2022
Interesting first case, definitely set the mood for the whole series.
Nov 3, 2022 7:38 PM
Nov 2022
Fue un buen inicio
Dec 6, 2022 7:01 PM
Oct 2022
el capitulo 1 es bien chido y sencillo, ideal para un anime tan largo jaja xd
Jan 24, 2023 8:49 AM

Jun 2020
Ok first episode but that may be because i have never really watched detective shows before

Feb 12, 2023 4:02 PM

Dec 2021
First time watching, impressive start.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 470 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Dec 14, 2013

5 by Alvie48xi »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 291 Discussion

IntroverTurtle - Nov 25, 2013

6 by ZZZ111000 »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 290 Discussion

Mayuka - Mar 11, 2013

8 by ZZZ111000 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 465 Discussion

4 by Alvie48xi »»
Yesterday, 9:45 AM

Poll: » Detective Conan Episode 464 Discussion

3 by Alvie48xi »»
Yesterday, 9:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.