Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 23, 2012 10:20 PM

Apr 2012
I'm a person that usually like an anime only due to its character, I know that is strange, but I really think that any story, with a good character, can become a good story. For example, what would it be GTO without Onizuka, LoGH without our favourite prince, Kaze no Stigma without Kazuma or FMP without Sagara Sousuke (I've just given, some of my favourite examples)
And like that when a character is awful and the story is nice, it becomes a bad anime.

Right now I was just trying to get past through Mirai Nikki for my third time, and its just...I cant stand the main character, I hate him so much, I dont know why is so laim...(ok, I will stop there)

So,I've thought that I've had similar cases where if the main character wasnt so XXXXXXXXXX (I dont know) for example Toradora!, I dont like tsundere and like that I dropped it for a long time.

Another example for me is probably Evangelion, is an awesome serie but I cant stand the main character, dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that all the characters must be as cold blooded as Saigara Sasuke or Kazuma, but he and his psychological trouble because his father doesnt love him enough ( I know there are more) is something I cant Stand.

Other example is Love Hina...

Please, limit yourselfs to Main Characters, unless the list will be toomuch long.
kentickMay 23, 2012 10:23 PM
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 23, 2012 10:35 PM

Aug 2011
Chihaya made me drop iDOLM@STER
Yamada, Satou, and Souma made me drop Working!!
Azu-nyan made me drop K-ON!
Chitanda made me drop Hyouka
Ken made me drop Seitokai no Ichizon
Shizuo made me drop Durarara!!
May 23, 2012 10:37 PM

Jan 2012
I have yet to drop a show for good, but some MCs single-handedly made me hate/dislike shows that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Those three perverts in Green Green weren't main characters, but I just can't go without mentioning them. They got at least as much on-screen time as the actual MC so they should pass anyway.

The little kid in Kanokon. He never did anything in the show except being a pussy and get sexually assaulted. Oh, and his voice.

Some other mentions, but not nearly as extreme
Elfen Lied
Amagami SS+ plus
Final Approach
Zero no Tsukaima (the last few seasons anyway)
GuZMay 23, 2012 10:42 PM
May 23, 2012 10:40 PM

Jan 2012
Sakamichi no Apollon - Ritsuko Mukae

She made it so horrible for me to watch that anime so I dropped it.
May 23, 2012 10:43 PM

Nov 2011
mitch3315 said:

B-b-but your avatar. lol

I've never actually dropped a anime yet due to a character(I try to stick through with it all the way through no matter how unbearable.)

One character that did make me just want to DROP the show so badly though was Emiya Shirou from Fate/Stay Night. God I never wanted to drop a show so badly as I did. Almost did it to but when I realized their was only about 4 episodes left I just punched my pillow, and kept watching.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 23, 2012 10:43 PM

Apr 2012
GuZ said:
I have yet to drop a show for good, but some MC single-handedly made me hate/dislike shows that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Those three perverts in Green Green weren't main characters, but I just can't go without mentioning them. They got at least as much on-screen time as the actual MC so they should pass anyway.

The little kid in Kanokon. He never did anything in the show except being a pussy and get sexually assaulted. Oh, and his voice.

Elfen Lied
Amagami SS+ plus
Final Approach

I totally agree with the two first ones (you can see it in my tags from my list xD)...But in zero no tsukaima, who's the annoying? Because I do like Saito character, he has a lot of guts and for a harem leader is quite decissive (I remember the ending of the second season (at least the first ending if you get me) that was awesome, what annoys me is that annoying tsundere (He should have chosen the queen...I dont understand it...why why why)
May 23, 2012 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
Well the main character in Mirai Nikki does start out a bit uninteresting compared to everyone else but he gets better later on and actually becomes really how you say believable if that makes any sense. It's just that Gasai Yuno happens to have been conceived by gods of awesomeness since she's actually able to carry the main character on her back and make up for the fact that he's not that interesting early on anyway. I think they were going for the dichotomy of Yukiteru being an ordinary character everybody else being odd and interesting so I suppose it works on that level. But that's just my opinion.

As far as irritating main characters go I tend to generally end up liking the main characters but Evangelion is probably what comes to mind. I didn't mind the movies so much but Shinji Ikari is by far the most annoying main character I've ever seen in an anime. But then again almost all the characters are unlikable save for Rei Ayanami.
May 23, 2012 10:47 PM

Jan 2012
kentick said:
I totally agree with the two first ones (you can see it in my tags from my list xD)...But in zero no tsukaima, who's the annoying? Because I do like Saito character, it has a lot of guts, what annoys me is that annoying tsundere (He should have chosen the queen...I dont understand it...why why why)

Yeah, I was talking about Louise. She was the only one who got under my skin from the very start, but I started to dislike pretty much everyone after the charm of the first season wore off and every single character became perverted and illegally dumb.
May 23, 2012 10:49 PM

Feb 2011
Shana from Shakugan no Shana.

Anime I felt like dropping but didn't:

Taiga from ToraDora.

Everyone from Love Hina.

Everyone from Peach Girl

Romeo and Juliet in Romeo x Juliet
May 23, 2012 10:51 PM

Apr 2012
Ardamaeus said:

Really!? Shana? Wow...
May 23, 2012 10:56 PM

Apr 2012
I guess GuZ and Ardameus that we three have a lot of trouble with the tsunderes characters...

I did like Zero no Tsukaima, but because I thought (if you see at the second season) that there would be a romantic twist, like Saito falling in love with the princess, because ok, let's be realistic: You have a jelous-extreme slayer that seriously hurt you, an idiotic and normal but kind hearted maid or a pretty, kind, mature queen. At the beginning of the third season, my hopes were growing, but then with the new big tits elf fell, it pass from an interesting love polygon to a typical tsundere perverted harem.
I havent watched Shakugan no Shana totally, because I had more than enough from that seiyuu and her kurosai kurosai kurosai (sorry I dont know how its written)
And the same from Toradora, I cant stand that girl...
May 23, 2012 11:00 PM

Jun 2009
Mami_Tomoe said:
Ardamaeus said:

Really!? Shana? Wow...

Well, imagine my confusion that you seemingly find Shana to be more tolerable than any of the characters in Eva (except for maybe Rei). Different opinions and all...
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 23, 2012 11:06 PM

Jan 2010
I finished it, but Index nearly made me drop Toaru Majutsu no Index. It was one hell of a trek though. Already forgotten why too. Must have been mentally blocked or something.
May 23, 2012 11:15 PM

Apr 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Mami_Tomoe said:
Ardamaeus said:

Really!? Shana? Wow...

Well, imagine my confusion that you seemingly find Shana to be more tolerable than any of the characters in Eva (except for maybe Rei). Different opinions and all...

Well yeah...I think you took my comment too seriously...
May 23, 2012 11:35 PM
Sep 2011
I wouldn't drop an anime if it wasn't one of the main characters who was annoying.

The iDOLM@STER - Azusa. Not a fan of the big breasted, ditzy types, and this one came off as being a mary sue. Really blatant in that episode where she runs around in a wedding dress and everyone adores/is inspired by the very sight of her.

K-On! - Yui, Mio and Ritsu. I don't think I need to explain Yui and Ritsu, but Mio aggravated me because of her tendency to swing from aggressive to "Ooooh I'm so delicate. I'll never get married waaaah."

Keroro Gunsou - Keroro. Every utterance of "Pekopon" made me facepalm.

A-Channel - Run. The show was boring enough but the painfully unfunny level of "too dumb to live" from this girl was too much.
May 24, 2012 1:43 AM

Sep 2011
The main girl on Uta no Prince Sama

I don't know about her character but the color of her eyes creeped me out so much I couldn't get past the first episode.
May 24, 2012 1:53 AM

Aug 2011
Ragix said:
mitch3315 said:

B-b-but your avatar. lol

Yeah, about that... Every character I named are from my favourite characters list.
May 24, 2012 1:54 AM

May 2009
GuZ said:
I have yet to drop a show for good, but some MCs single-handedly made me hate/dislike shows that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Elfen Lied
Amagami SS+ plus
Final Approach

Yeah, I tried to watch green green out of morbid curiosity. I got about 15 minutes in and couldn't take the stupidity. Agree on the three perverts, the MC was just the generic shy/dorky harem lead, and I couldn't become attached to any of the female characters.

Everybody in gantz. Everyone is a scumbag, and aren't really given any human depths to them at all, they just seem like vehicles for the show to be 'edgy' and 'dark'.

Pretty much everyone in Ichigo 100% too. The main character is just an idiot, plain and simple and the female charcters are just stereotypes and objects of his romantic (i'm being generous) fixation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2012 2:03 AM

May 2010
I don't really recall hating an anime character so much that it made me drop an anime. Characters may be the most important for me; but when there's a good character in return for the bad one, I'll sit through it (Like Shana & co.).
However, I did notice that the anime I've dropped pretty much don't contain any characters that I do like. Granted, I dropped a lot early on so there's little chance to get to know the characters, but by now I roughly know what character I'm going to like just from comparing the synopsis to the basic archetype of the character.

~ Love knows no boundaries ~ -- Thanks to -Luzifer- for the signature.
May 24, 2012 2:14 AM

Aug 2011
RLinksoul said:

The iDOLM@STER - Azusa. Not a fan of the big breasted, ditzy types, and this one came off as being a mary sue. Really blatant in that episode where she runs around in a wedding dress and everyone adores/is inspired by the very sight of her.

You dropped iDOLM@STER at episode 16, which means you miss the amazing-ness of episode 20.
May 24, 2012 3:10 AM

Mar 2009
Shana and Yuji from Shakugan no Shana. Damn annoying .
May 24, 2012 3:22 AM

Apr 2012
RLinksoul said:
Keroro Gunsou - Keroro. Every utterance of "Pekopon" made me facepalm.

Why does that make you facepalm?

For me, the two main characters in Bakuman and the girl that Mashiro likes (I might read the manga version anyways though, lol)
May 24, 2012 3:35 AM

Dec 2008
mitch3315 said:
Ragix said:
mitch3315 said:

B-b-but your avatar. lol

Yeah, about that... Every character I named are from my favourite characters list.

But...you're saying you liked a character so much, you dropped a series...THAT RAISES EVEN MORE QUESTIONS!
May 24, 2012 3:45 AM

Aug 2011
autisticanime said:
mitch3315 said:
Ragix said:
mitch3315 said:

B-b-but your avatar. lol

But...you're saying you liked a character so much, you dropped a series...THAT RAISES EVEN MORE QUESTIONS!

I didn't drop them, they are some of my favourite series actually, which was the whole point of my post.
May 24, 2012 3:48 AM

Nov 2011
mitch3315 said:
autisticanime said:
mitch3315 said:
Ragix said:
mitch3315 said:

B-b-but your avatar. lol

I didn't drop them, they are some of my favourite series actually, which was the whole point of my post.

Huehuehue sarcasm.
It's tough to use on the interwebzz.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 24, 2012 4:39 AM
Apr 2012
The Nazi midget in Monster. He was the last straw.
"Holy shit I can't remember how I got to your page but thank you so much for posting that Clannad piano video it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard thank you I fucking love you man"

XD
May 24, 2012 4:41 AM

Jan 2012
Every one on love hina :/
Meanwhile, in the magical world of anime.

May 24, 2012 4:42 AM

Jun 2008
Ragix said:
mitch3315 said:
autisticanime said:
mitch3315 said:
Ragix said:
mitch3315 said:

B-b-but your avatar. lol

Huehuehue sarcasm.
It's tough to use on the interwebzz.

No it was just bad sarcasm. Maybe he thought that those characters as so awesome that no one could think is not sarcasm but he was wrong. Not all share his view of them to consider hating them as impossible.
May 24, 2012 4:42 AM

May 2012
well I dropped Ah! My Goddess some time ago only because of Keiichi, that kid simply made me hate anime for a while. Though I watched after a while the whole anime (which I regret)
Sore Wa Himitsu Desu
May 24, 2012 4:53 AM

Aug 2011
both yuno and yuki from mirai nikki
yuuji (seirei no hebi) in shana 3
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
May 24, 2012 5:34 AM

Apr 2012
Golden Boy - Kintaro Oe
One Piece - Chopper
May 24, 2012 5:38 AM

Aug 2009
I dropped Rozen Maiden because I thought most of the characters were annoying, I do like the story though.
May 24, 2012 5:53 AM

Jun 2009
mitch3315 said:

In other words there was no point and we just wasted space on the internet!

But I guess my post would be pointless too if I wouldn't contribute to the topic. So on topic: none.
May 24, 2012 6:01 AM

Aug 2011
Monad said:

No it was just bad sarcasm. Maybe he thought that those characters as so awesome that no one could think is not sarcasm but he was wrong. Not all share his view of them to consider hating them as impossible.

It had nothing to do with me thinking other people share my view on those characters.
May 24, 2012 6:04 AM

Feb 2010
Kuroko Shirai from A Certain Scientific Railgun. It's even worse considering how awesome she is in the manga.
May 24, 2012 6:29 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't like the MC of Karin so... :<
May 24, 2012 7:47 AM

Mar 2009
The only one I can think of is Reborn from Hitman Reborn. The most annoying voice ever...
May 24, 2012 8:03 AM

Sep 2010
The Lucky Star cast made me drop Lucky Star. These things are not characters just ugly blobs of art.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
May 24, 2012 8:08 AM

Aug 2009
That Nijiima guy in Kenichi...

May 24, 2012 8:13 AM

Mar 2009
Ekvi said:

Lol. I find Nijima hilarious personally :P To each their own~
May 24, 2012 8:39 AM

Aug 2011
That one pink-haired chick from ZnT. I couldn't stand looking at her face anymore, so I stopped watching and sold the box set I wasted money on. I know, "watch it before you buy it"...

Ichigo was one main reason I stopped watching Bleach, other than my lack of interest. He was the typical Shounen character and I just got so annoyed with watching him and his battles.

Then we have Naruto...the villains and Naruto himself just couldn't hold my interest anymore, and I got annoyed with them quickly, so I pulled the plug. I didn't like any character at all by the 90's, so I knew I wouldn't pull through to the recent ones.

May 24, 2012 9:12 AM

Apr 2008
I can't say that I have yet; but I have quite a huge ptw list so I am sure that some will be coming up. I pretty much just try and stick it out because all instances that I can think of where I really disliked a character; the characters that I liked have far outweighed and balanced out my disliked characters. Mainly because I really enjoy series mostly due to the characters. So I even if I dislike one or two characters, I can easily enough like 10 or more in the same series lol.
May 24, 2012 9:22 AM
Aug 2011
glitchhunter said:
Ekvi said:

Lol. I find Nijima hilarious personally :P To each their own~

+1

AKB0048 - That's the latest thing I dropped because of characters. I think I disliked everyone a lot.
May 24, 2012 10:22 AM

Dec 2010
I gave Love Hina a fair chance but the characters have absolutely no redeeming features at all. I just kept watching, hoping for some glimmer of development or depth from any character but eventually decided I had suffered enough. Be gone, foulness.
May 24, 2012 10:40 AM

Feb 2012
I dropped Canvas 2: Niji-iro no Sketch because of the main character there..
He may seem like the standard main character from a comedy/romance anime, but i just don't know why, i hate his guts. Give me a spiked bat and let me hit him, pretty pleeeease!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 2012 10:43 AM

May 2012
The main character from Yosuga no Sora made me drop it. All the character became annoying in Gundam 00 and Freezing.
May 24, 2012 11:37 AM

May 2009
Kiren said:
The main character from Yosuga no Sora made me drop it. All the character became annoying in Gundam 00 and Freezing.

They don't improve in the second season of gundam00 either.
May 24, 2012 2:34 PM

Jan 2012
The only 2 characters that come in mind that made me drop a serie were
Aichi from Cardfight Vanguard (whiny and homosexual for Kai)
And the main character from Fate stay Night
May 24, 2012 2:58 PM

Mar 2008
^I so agree with Cardfight Vanguard. I wasted my time on that anime..

probably Shakugan no Shana II - I can't stand Kazumi..
May 24, 2012 3:01 PM

Apr 2010
Hmmm I guess I dropped the second season of Hayate no Gotoku because of hinagiku (although it also had to do with a lack of humour)

I also didn't like any of the characters in Full Metal Panic, so more of a joint thing there.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 21 minutes ago

3 by Yuuko_Momo »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Vampires

Shizuna - 4 hours ago

16 by Sphealz »»
3 minutes ago

» If you could have 1 anime get licenced what would pick?

RareAnimeHunter - Yesterday

12 by RareAnimeHunter »»
5 minutes ago

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - 57 minutes ago

3 by 61969 »»
7 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

4 by Rally- »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.