Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2009 8:17 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think Shizuru and Sakyo would make a cute couple.

RtheO
May 16, 2010 12:51 PM

May 2009
Awesome ep, and kinda sad
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Aug 18, 2010 3:57 PM

Mar 2010
ya sure great ep.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jun 30, 2011 9:42 PM

Sep 2010
Amazing episode~

I feel bad for Shizuru and Sakyo.
May 18, 2012 12:44 AM

Jun 2010
This silly five-minute love story between Shizueu and Sakyo is a rare complete failure for this series. They spend nearly no time together so I can't believe they could feel any more than that the other is good-looking. The big farewell scene is laughable.
Jan 20, 2013 10:45 AM

Nov 2011
Fronzel said:
This silly five-minute love story between Shizueu and Sakyo is a rare complete failure for this series. They spend nearly no time together so I can't believe they could feel any more than that the other is good-looking. The big farewell scene is laughable.

It was right? I thought perhaps I was missing something about their past but no..
What's up with everyone saying it was sad?
Feel free to suggest me new series on my profile or through pm, or send me anything else really and let's have a chat
Jul 10, 2013 9:35 PM

May 2012
Finally, this is all over! I'm ready for the new arc!
Feb 22, 2014 2:14 PM

Jun 2009
Fronzel said:

Yeah, it felt rather hokey.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 20, 2014 4:15 AM

May 2013
Hahaha! I thought the Sakyo ending was silly as hell. Shizuru fell in love with a weirdo that disects humans for fun? And was blowing up the stadium in fifteen minutes with everyone inside really the best way to settle the bet? Couldn't he have just shot himself?
Dec 10, 2014 7:15 PM

Feb 2014
That was sad.. Yusuke slapping Keiko around was really funny.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

Apr 20, 2015 7:35 AM

Aug 2013
The reactions and emotional responses of just about every character was off this episode, especially Shizuru.

The absurdity for her to worry more about Sakyo's demise over her brother's supposed death is utterly ridiculous to witness.
Jun 30, 2015 9:49 PM

Jul 2010
StevenHu said:
The reactions and emotional responses of just about every character was off this episode, especially Shizuru.

The absurdity for her to worry more about Sakyo's demise over her brother's supposed death is utterly ridiculous to witness.

This, kinda shocked when she shed tears for the BAD GUY and not her own BROTHER. Such useless character and felt like her whole character was created for this little shitty "romance" side plot...
Dec 28, 2015 3:27 AM

Dec 2012
Well, at least Shizuru had some kind of role in the arc other than commentary I guess...
Oct 26, 2016 6:35 AM

Dec 2014
If I could rate this anime below a 1 I would. The worse part is that I have this dumb hope that it might get better and it always teases that it might just to fail, making me dislike it more than I already do. "Only" 47 episodes to go though!
Mar 27, 2017 9:33 PM

Sep 2015
Rip SakyoXShizuru ship
Apr 11, 2017 3:28 AM

Dec 2013
Rip Sakyo

Kuwabara trolling Yusuke was funny.
Jun 15, 2017 9:24 AM
Apr 2016
What was with that fake two min tragic romance?
Jun 26, 2017 9:27 AM
Nov 2015
Eh, I always like Shizuru x Sakyo. Not all romances need development to be good. There can only be glances and there's already chemistry, the fatalistic kind, the kind doomed to fail from the start.
It maybe just that Shizuru has the kink for terrorists who would blow up your house for no reason, or maybe she's bored with her present life herself and wants to break through. I don't know all their circumstances and I don't criticize the show for it, it's just personal stuff of 2 people, should leave them alone.
Sean_NessmanJun 26, 2017 9:30 AM
Jul 29, 2017 8:23 PM

Jun 2016
Of course Kuwabara isn't dead, just like I said, no stakes. I wish this show would take risks. Apart from that, a very cheesy episode that did it's job to conclude the arc. I would of really liked to see them all make a wish honestly, I was looking forward to that since the start.

Sakyo's death was so badass.

Sayonara...
Jan 10, 2018 6:00 PM

Jul 2017
Sakyo blowing up the entire stadium was kind of ridiculous, though it's not totally out-there considering the type of show this is. The romance subplot between him and Shizuru was okay, but, yeah, the end was over-dramatic. He is a total sociopath, but I don't think that means much when you don't know that about the person. Also, this was kind of a fate thing.

Kuwabara not dying was actually pretty cool. I was sure he wouldn't actually die, and I was glad to not see some resurrection stuff. It was interesting to see that Toguro had not meant to kill him. I figured that Toguro had tried to set something up to lose to Yusuke for some reason. I didn't figure it all though, and I actually reconsidered it after all the stuff that happened.

Cool episode.
Sep 29, 2018 10:22 AM

Jun 2015
I feel sorry for Sakyo and shizuru. I was so shipping it.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Oct 4, 2018 10:33 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty good conclusion for this arc, especially the last few minutes.

Genkai :(

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 17, 2019 6:56 PM

Oct 2015
I thought to myself when Keiko didn't want to snap out of it, "Yusuke slap her her out of it" and then he did and he got slapped back harder Xd.

The dark tournament was my favorite tournament arc in my history of anime. Even better than HxH hunting competition. I will miss those demons insults on Urameshi's team, they made me laugh every time. As for Shizuru and Sakyo, I didn't get why Shizuru why she felt so emotional about his death, he hardly knew him. It was one of those slapped In romance moments that held little meaning.

In anime if you save someone they become your lapdogs, they will love you for life even if they just met you.
lihle808May 17, 2019 7:00 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 1, 2019 8:14 AM
Apr 2016
Well, Kuwabara turned out to be alive like expected. Keiko went out of it, damn. Self-destruct, well that was dangerous, everyone made it alive though. Finally the end of this giant arc.
Sep 5, 2019 1:47 PM

Jun 2015
What was their wish upon winning the tournament again? This arc is so dragged I've even forgotten at this point.
Sep 5, 2019 3:04 PM

Jun 2015
This was the highlight of the episode
Apr 21, 2020 10:20 PM

Mar 2020
Did she really cry over this weirdo who she talked to for like 2 minutes 30 episodes ago.

Comparing this meaningless shit to
is crazy. Togashi's writing really came a long way.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Aug 24, 2020 1:08 AM

Apr 2020
Oh man I was really hoping that they could wish Genkai back to life,
but Oh well...
Anyways quite an ending for Toguro and Sakyo
--AbiSa--
Aug 26, 2020 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
The Dark Tournament... is finally over! Everyone will have good memories from these moment.

RIP Genkai :(
Nov 12, 2020 5:07 AM

Nov 2017
sakyo and shizuru barely even knew each other. lol
Jan 4, 2021 9:30 AM

Dec 2007
wonder what even been going on between sakyo and shizuru ><

what next?
Jul 3, 2021 12:14 PM
Sep 2007
Kuwabara is not dead, yay!

Kuwabara's sister apparently has a crush on Sakyo. Bad choice. Hello, he's a boss of the guy who apparently killed your brother and was close to killing his best friend, remember?

Keiko excels at PTSD, lol.
Jul 29, 2021 12:12 AM

Aug 2018
KUWABARA, I LOVE YOU! Pls dont ever die!

Mar 31, 2022 11:29 PM

Sep 2021
I agree the romance angle between Shizuru and Sakyo was rather bizarre. Maybe it was one of those things that was given far much more time in the manga.
Oct 10, 2022 4:49 AM

Jan 2021
That was one of the best tournament arc’s
Jamk_Oct 10, 2022 2:18 PM
Jun 6, 2023 5:01 PM

Jul 2021
Sean_Nessman said:
Eh, I always like Shizuru x Sakyo. Not all romances need development to be good. There can only be glances and there's already chemistry, the fatalistic kind, the kind doomed to fail from the start.
It maybe just that Shizuru has the kink for terrorists who would blow up your house for no reason, or maybe she's bored with her present life herself and wants to break through. I don't know all their circumstances and I don't criticize the show for it, it's just personal stuff of 2 people, should leave them alone.
Agreed, I think there is tons of potential between these two in a weird messed up way. Considering she cares more about a human dissecting psychopath than her own brother I wouldnt be surprised if she was atleast a bit of a sociopath herself lol, eitherway I heard this was made up for the anime.
AzafuseKingToraJun 7, 2023 10:10 PM
Jul 9, 2023 2:47 AM

Mar 2022
Yes it turns out Kuwabara wasn't dead after all and he was faking his death the all time. Though I knew he was going to be alive I guess I didn't know how that was the case. I don't understand how his sister though was in love with a guy she literally met just once and was the same person betting against his friend's team and was hired by a guy who wanted to kill him in the first place anyway. I can't really get too worked up over it cuz it was pretty brief but it is a bit bizarre. Maybe it's a thing in the manga who knows? Doesn't really matter, the Dark Tournament arc is over, god to think this started all the way back in episode 26. So many fights, so much development on Team Urameshi's part.
Nov 3, 2023 2:22 PM

Mar 2020
I think Sakyo was an interesting and memorable character. I know it's the unpopular opinion but I liked the interaction between him and Shizuru. It showed his last remains of humanity that could not be saved anymore.
Dec 25, 2023 9:52 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to TheStarscream759
Yes it turns out Kuwabara wasn't dead after all and he was faking his death the all time. Though I knew he was going to be alive I guess I didn't know how that was the case. I don't understand how his sister though was in love with a guy she literally met just once and was the same person betting against his friend's team and was hired by a guy who wanted to kill him in the first place anyway. I can't really get too worked up over it cuz it was pretty brief but it is a bit bizarre. Maybe it's a thing in the manga who knows? Doesn't really matter, the Dark Tournament arc is over, god to think this started all the way back in episode 26. So many fights, so much development on Team Urameshi's part.
TheStarscream759 said:
. I don't understand how his sister though was in love with a guy she literally met just once and was the same person betting against his friend's team and was hired by a guy who wanted to kill him in the first place anyway.

Because it's filler
Mar 5, 6:04 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Tenth
StevenHu said:

This, kinda shocked when she shed tears for the BAD GUY and not her own BROTHER. Such useless character and felt like her whole character was created for this little shitty "romance" side plot...
@Tenth she didn't cry for Kuwabara because he wasn't actually dead. She has heightened spirit awareness.
Mar 5, 6:11 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to tim777
I think Sakyo was an interesting and memorable character. I know it's the unpopular opinion but I liked the interaction between him and Shizuru. It showed his last remains of humanity that could not be saved anymore.
@tim777 Apparently, it was anime only. Rare Studio Pierrot W. I wonder if this influenced the Meruem x Komugi pairing that was in Hunter x Hunter.

I liked this ship as well. I can see how they would like each other. It's very similar to the reasoning for ships in Cardcaptor Sakura. Power attracts power (it's a huge thing in CCS). Both of them have heightened spiritual awareness, so that's likely what attracted them to each other. Plus, they're both smokers with a cool demeanor, and they're both attractive.
Apr 15, 4:32 PM
Jan 2021
So, I was right about Toguro!
Also, what's wrong with Kuwabara's sister? I mean, seriously, she just cried for Sakyo? I get it, he rescued her a couple of times, but he was the mastermind behind all of this(guy was really a great villain), threatening her brother's life. It really just ruined the 'hardcore woman' vibe she was giving.

May 26, 9:14 PM

Apr 2016
One of the most stupid episode I have ever watched, literally every scene was followed by something stupid just to drag some big finale for an arc that doesn't even make that much sense anymore, but then the bad guy's goal was stupid from the moment he revealed so maybe blowing up everything will make everyone forget this whole tournament even happened.
Aug 27, 10:50 AM

Jun 2017
Part of me was hoping that Shizuru would dissuade Sakyo. Perhaps if given a chance, a life without chaos or settling down isn't so bad but full of contentment for him. It was so bittersweet when Sakyo died. I supposed for all the crimes he did, he didn't deserve Shizuru. But I know deep down, there was an attraction between the two.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 73 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 15, 2009

34 by KoniginElle »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 112 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarthDaimyo - Jun 7, 2010

130 by Flomik »»
Sep 22, 3:01 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 72 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Dec 15, 2009

29 by KoniginElle »»
Sep 22, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 22 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 18, 2009

28 by oozePOP »»
Sep 20, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Yu Yu Hakusho Episode 21 Discussion

DarthDaimyo - Oct 18, 2009

39 by oozePOP »»
Sep 19, 10:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.