Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 10, 2013 9:41 AM

May 2013
So, we have a confirmed TV Special for Sword Art Online.

It seems like it's only been recently added to MAL's database and not many members have released it yet. Like around 50 people or something.

Anyway, it's said to come out this year. What could it be about? A possible hint to a season 2 at some point?

There is literally no data for this on it's page. I'm not sure if the news team have or are going to cover it since I don't know how long it's been here.

What are your thoughts? Personally, I can't wait.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 10, 2013 11:42 AM

Oct 2011
I just also recently found out about this 0___0

I hope it's a teaser for the next arc GGO. <--------- Hoping for this XDDD

Other possibilities are that it could be an un-aired episode taking place somewhere in Aincrad arc or ALO arc. But I do wonder if it's a re-do of the Aincrad arc since a lot was cut out. Anything could be possible. I also can't rule out them doing a beach/hot spring like episode too.

Can't wait to see it when it comes out : )
Aug 10, 2013 11:50 AM

Jan 2013
I think it's probably(not so secretly hoping for) a teaser for GGO. 1 episode for a re-do of the Aincrad arc is a no no and I think if it was a beach/hot spring episode they would've showed the characters in swimsuits or at a hot spring in the ad.
Aug 10, 2013 11:52 AM

Apr 2013
added to my list!
Aug 10, 2013 11:57 AM

May 2013
I'd be happy with a beach episode. But, if you think about it, there's not much more they can do for a special.

To be honest, there's not a lot of possibilities other than a sequel hint. Sword Art Online is pretty much ruled out, unless it's back in time. ALO? Maybe. I'm pumped.

Another thing to take into consideration is the duration. We don't know how long it will last. It could be 10 minutes or 30.

It looks like we'll be seeing all the characters again. Note how it says "Extra Edition".

The fact that it shows both the visual worlds from the TV show might hint something. Also, extra could mean that it is, in fact, a continuation possibility.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 10, 2013 12:08 PM

Oct 2011
Aincrad2013 said:
I think it's probably(not so secretly hoping for) a teaser for GGO. 1 episode for a re-do of the Aincrad arc is a no no and I think if it was a beach/hot spring episode they would've showed the characters in swimsuits or at a hot spring in the ad.

Diran-kun said:
I'd be happy with a beach episode. But, if you think about it, there's not much more they can do for a special.

To be honest, there's not a lot of possibilities other than a sequel hint. Sword Art Online is pretty much ruled out, unless it's back in time. ALO? Maybe. I'm pumped.

Another thing to take into consideration is the duration. We don't know how long it will last. It could be 10 minutes or 30.

It looks like we'll be seeing all the characters again. Note how it says "Extra Edition".

The fact that it shows both the visual worlds from the TV show might hint something. Also, extra could mean that it is, in fact, a continuation possibility.

Can a special duration be an hour or 2 or that's usually in Anime OVA?

Anyway I also agree with you on a continuation. It could take place right where the anime ended. Then gives us a glimpse of GGO
Aug 10, 2013 12:11 PM

May 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Aincrad2013 said:

Diran-kun said:

Can a special duration be an hour or 2 or that's usually in Anime OVA?

Anyway I also agree with you on a continuation. It could take place right where the anime ended. Then gives us a glimpse of GGO
I not sure on what borderlines them. I have seen 40 minute movies in the MAL database. I just think a special is aired on TV. OVAs might be what normally come with purchased series of the Anime or something.

I just thought about Accel World. We haven't heard about that in a while. Maybe a cross over adaption with SAO is the way to do it.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 10, 2013 12:14 PM

Nov 2011
I guess I'll watch this but wondering what this might be about or if a teaser for GGO will come to fruition. Guess I'll have to watch it when it debuts to find out.
Aug 10, 2013 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
It's probably going to be one of the side stories.
I think the one that fits well would be 'The Day After'.
But who knows? It could be anything at this point.
Aug 10, 2013 12:24 PM

May 2013
honeydolly said:
It doesn't look like a side story focused on a side character, as you can tell.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 10, 2013 12:57 PM

Oct 2011
Diran-kun said:
honeydolly said:

You mentioned Accel World and the crossover. Could this special be Kirito vs Silver Crow? I listened to the drama CD a while back and it was epic!! Seeing it in anime would be awesome XD
Aug 10, 2013 1:00 PM

May 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Diran-kun said:
honeydolly said:

You mentioned Accel World and I just though of something. Could this special be Kirito vs Silver Crow crossover? I listened to the drama CD a while back.
Not sure. I'm not sure if you're aware, but they did a live crossover involving VAs from both shows. I also think they may have crossed over in the novels ect. ect.

I am expecting a crossover, but I doubt this is it. I'm still waiting on Accel World season 2.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 10, 2013 1:00 PM

Jan 2013
If it really is airing this year it'll probably be at the end of the year? Or is there a time where they usually air specials during fall season? Also a TV special means that it's either 20 or 40 mins long right? Not too familiar with this stuff. A continuation with a glimpse of GGO would be perfect.
Aug 10, 2013 1:03 PM

May 2013
Aincrad2013 said:
If it really is airing this year it'll probably be at the end of the year? Or is there a time where they usually air specials during fall season? Also a TV special means that it's either 20 or 40 mins long right? Not too familiar with this stuff. A continuation with a glimpse of GGO would be perfect.
A special can be any length. We don't have a release date, but it'll be aired on TV.

Here's a thing. There is only one episode, yet it says that it's airing 2013-?

Does that mean there might be more episodes? Maybe.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 10, 2013 7:42 PM

May 2013
Just thought I'd share this. I received this via PM. It pretty much explains everything.

symbv said:
The SAO TV Special is most recap with promises of "some new footage". Now the question is how much new footage there is. Is it just a gimmick to get people to watch the TV program? As I understand recaps are not popular news in MAL, so I have held back from posting it in news board.

I am still pumped. It seems like a perfect set up for a sequel hint.
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 11, 2013 5:53 AM

Nov 2007
Here's the news post from the official website:

TVアニメ特別番組『ソードアート・オンライン Extra Edition』放送決定
TVアニメ特別番組『ソードアート・オンライン Extra Edition』を2013年末に放送予定です。

詳細は追ってお知らせします。

It will air near the end of 2013, and more information will be released later on, as stated in the news post.

As symbv has stated in a PM from the post above, the thing to wonder about is how much new footage there will be. One thing I also wonder is if there could be another surprise such as a second season announcement for GGO perhaps at the end of the TV special program?

Diran-kun said:

It seems like it's only been recently added to MAL's database and not many members have released it yet. Like around 50 people or something.

It's still in the queue waiting to be added to the DB.
EjcAug 11, 2013 6:01 AM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).

More topics from this board

Poll: » is it just me, or do you guys also like asuna a lot? ( 1 2 )

college_boy - Yesterday

59 by Linx_0 »»
2 hours ago

» SAO watch order

18s - 6 hours ago

11 by Linx_0 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

492 by ItsXolo »»
Sep 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Aug 25, 2012

535 by AliQasim22 »»
Sep 13, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

951 by Rexnihilo »»
Sep 7, 11:16 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.