Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 25, 6:02 AM
Sep 2022
I have been studying Japanese for a while now and Bashame's Japanese has caught my attention.
I was wondering what kind of way of speaking does Bashame Meme use?
It sounds kind of unnatural to me and different from most common spoken Japanese that I'm used to hearing in anime.
It sounds slower and honestly, it's really easy for me to understand her Japanese. I also hear her using he own name and referring to herself in the third person. Do any of you who know Japanese better than I do know what is up with Bashame's way of speaking?

Jul 25, 6:24 AM
Apr 2023
I don't understand japanese but maybe she's the classic slowly thinking Charakter (My Guess)
Jul 25, 6:27 AM
Jun 2019
Watching lots of animes and searching a few things on the internet, I learned that talking about yourself in third person is considered childish and/or eccentric.

Dunno about the slow talking. I'd say it also means the character is somewhat childish or slow. It's just my guess tho.
Jul 25, 6:29 AM
Feb 2024
I’m Japanese.
It’s not a dialect or anything.it’s probably just her personality. And by the way using your name as your third person is viewed as childish and immature.
Jul 25, 6:33 AM
Dec 2018
ScionxB2 said:
I have been studying Japanese for a while now and Bashame's Japanese has caught my attention.
I was wondering what kind of way of speaking does Bashame Meme use?
It sounds kind of unnatural to me and different from most common spoken Japanese that I'm used to hearing in anime.
It sounds slower and honestly, it's really easy for me to understand her Japanese. I also hear her using he own name and referring to herself in the third person. Do any of you who know Japanese better than I do know what is up with Bashame's way of speaking?

Her Japanese is normal. Refering to yourself with your name in Japanese is normal too (not as much as she does but that's more about building a dumb character, here)

Her speed when speaking hints towards a lazy character.
Jul 25, 6:40 AM
Oct 2022
Referring to yourself in the third person is a thing kids do. This is not unnatural. There are a ton of ways to refer to yourself in Japanese, and picking out the right one can be hard. I don't know if it's a deliberate move to be polite, or it's just a thing kids naturally do when they're learning the language, but that's the gist of it. Other than that, Bashame's just using perfectly normal, standard Japanese. If anything, it's unnaturally standard in its use, tone, and delivery; the sheer lack of contractions, slurring, and other colloquialisms stands out to me. She's just speaking a bit more slowly than usual.
Jul 25, 11:36 AM
Nov 2023
she's just being sleepy while talking japanese, and referring to herself in third-person (which nobody does).
Jul 25, 2:33 PM
Dec 2018
H_A_R_M said:
she's just being sleepy while talking japanese, and referring to herself in third-person (which nobody does).

Joke on you I have a friend who does.
Jul 25, 2:36 PM
Nov 2023
DragyG said:
H_A_R_M said:

i have no idea what ur friend said, could you perhaps translate, i still stand by what I've said.
Jul 25, 2:38 PM
Dec 2018
H_A_R_M said:
DragyG said:

i have no idea what ur friend said, could you perhaps translate, i still stand by what I've said.

You have no idea what she said but you be talking like you know what Japanese people say...

The distance between Kana (her name) and Kiran is wider than the one between Kiran and Itsuko (my name)
Jul 25, 2:41 PM
Nov 2023
DragyG said:
H_A_R_M said:

You have no idea what she said but you be talking like you know what Japanese people say...

The distance between Kana (her name) and Kiran is wider than the one between Kiran and Itsuko (my name)

what's that supposed to mean?
Jul 25, 2:42 PM
Dec 2018
H_A_R_M said:
DragyG said:

I won't show the whole private conversation but basically she is talking about how I an European born is closer to another European born than she is.
Jul 25, 2:44 PM
Nov 2023
DragyG said:
H_A_R_M said:

I won't show the whole private conversation but basically she is talking about how I an European born is closer to another European born than she is.

bro the more you speak the more confused i become😭, how is your European heritage supposed to relate to bashame's way of speaking?
Jul 25, 2:46 PM
Dec 2018
H_A_R_M said:
DragyG said:

bro the more you speak the more confused i become😭, how is your European heritage supposed to relate to bashame's way of speaking?

You said nobody use their own name to talk about themselves in Japanese. I show you you are wrong.

I only translated the message because you asked.
Jul 25, 2:50 PM
Nov 2023
DragyG said:
H_A_R_M said:

You said nobody use their own name to talk about themselves in Japanese. I show you you are wrong.

oh, sorry my bad. do most japanese people refer to themselves like this or is it just niche thing?
Jul 25, 2:53 PM
Dec 2018
H_A_R_M said:
DragyG said:

oh, sorry my bad. do most japanese people refer to themselves like this or is it just niche thing?

It's pretty girlish and informal.

Most of the time it's used in order to sound a little bit childish (which is somehow linked to cuteness in Japan it seems)

However sounding childish too much make the speaker sounds immature and dumb so it's better to avoid it in most cases.

(To build Bashame's character of slow thinking girl it's the perfect way of speaking)
Jul 25, 2:54 PM
Nov 2023
DragyG said:
H_A_R_M said:

It's pretty girlish and informal.

Most of the time it's used in order to sound a little bit childish (which is somehow linked to cuteness in Japan it seems)

However sounding childish too much make the speaker sounds immature and dumb so it's better to avoid it in most cases.

(To build Bashame's character of slow thinking girl it's the perfect way of speaking)

that's cool, you learn something new everyday👍
Jul 25, 10:45 PM

Aug 2021
I think she’s just dumb/slow. Talking in third person is a common trope in a lot of media, Japanese or otherwise, to express unintelligence.
Jul 26, 1:49 AM
May 2024
I like her accent ....
Jul 26, 6:40 AM

Jun 2021
dont think she's using native accent or any accent in particular. The character is just slow and childish therefore she's using easy to comprehend japanese to emphasize her character.

im still learning japanese, correct me if im wrong
Jul 29, 7:27 AM
Sep 2022
I've done a little more research and according to Japanesewithanime, "In some cases, an anime tries to make a character moe 萌え by making them very, very slow intellectually. Such slow characters also end up having their own name as first-person pronoun, since that sounds slow as well." Also, "Teenagers, adults, in real life and in anime, also sometimes use their own name as first-person pronoun. It's mostly girls that do this. That's because it's cute. And it's cute because it's silly. And it's silly because it's something little children would say."
The article also explains why children speak in the first person. You can read the article with the link below.

Own Name as First-Person Pronoun
Aug 5, 1:03 AM

Feb 2023
Moeko in BokuYaba also refers to herself as Moe, I understand it as a cutesy affectation reflecting her playful personality.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 28

52 by LuisSV23 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 21

51 by LuisSV23 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » best brainrot anime of all time?

asdewqw3erfgt - Aug 29

36 by vainothegamer101 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 17

147 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Today, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jul 10

206 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Yesterday, 11:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.