Forum Settings
Forums

did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 20, 8:03 AM

Feb 2024
I didn't really develop an intense anime-watching habit until this year. I started with popular stuff such as My Hero Academia, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, TenSura and Konosuba, and now I tend to get more into quirky slice-of-life series like Horimiya, 100-Kanojo or Aharen-san wa Hakarenai.

(images created in AI)
Jun 20, 8:19 AM
Dec 2023
I watched some anime in the 2000s which aired on Toonami (Inuyasha, FLCL) and some Ghibli movies, but didn't really start watching anime regularly until around 2018, when someone recommended that I watch Your Lie in April, Clannad, and Your Name, which sent me down the anime rabbit hole.

When I first started really watching, I intentionally did not watch battle shounen series, as I was looking more for series that gave me the same emotional impact. As I've been watching over these last 6 years, my tastes have definitely expanded to include these as well as other genres.
Jun 20, 1:31 PM

Apr 2024
The only thing that changed was that I read Reverend Insanity around 2020 and that was too good of a story.
So now everything I try is kinda bland and disappointing.

I re-read Reverend Insanity and it was just as good the second time around.
By the way, that book has over two thousand chapters so it takes about a year, maybe a year and a half to to read.

I've managed to watch more anime again this year, but I guess I have to accept that I won't be finding anything as good as Reverend Insanity anytime soon.

But yeah, until I encountered Reverend Insanity nothing much changed in my viewing habits and I've started watching anime in 2005.
Jun 20, 1:31 PM

Aug 2020
Yes. I used to actually finish shows, nowadays I just start them and never finish because a) busy with life and b) I can pretend they continue forever while I don't catch up x)
Jun 20, 2:14 PM

Sep 2020
I barely finish them since I'm pretty burnt out. It took me 1 1/2 years to resume episode 1 of Bocchi the Rock, and I regret not continuing to watch this anime sooner.
Jun 20, 2:27 PM
May 2020
My viewing habits have decreased over time as I get more busy in life. This applies to my video game and book habits as I don't have much time to invest in.
Jun 20, 3:10 PM

Jul 2013
My anime viewing habits have remained the same since I started watching anime in the late 1990s.
Jun 20, 6:44 PM

Oct 2019
Oh most definitely. Change is just common when you do something for a long time. The easiest way to prove it is by just watching more anime and your taste gets more refined. That's how you see the mean score gradually getting lower as time goes on. My mean score used to be around 7.5 or above back in 2021 compared to now. Even in older shows, they are not completely immune to new scores, I'll switch it if I have a new change of opinion. I used to hold To Your Eternity, Oregairu, and Bunny Girl Senpai in high regard until I tried to rewatch them in my later days and realized how drastically my views changed. They're still good, but they don't hold a candle compared to what I think are incredible masterpieces. I mean, for instance, Bunny Girl Senpai was mostly a show about deadpan expressionless talking until it decided to be emotional out of nowhere. From there I realized, I only looked at the positive side of things and didn't consider a more consistent experience in general. That's kind of how my scores change over time.

Excuse me for going out of topic, but yeah. It seems this season has been quite dull and pale in comparison to other seasons, kind of like every Summer that happened before 2023. I became someone who just take a watch for like 5 mins and then gave up if it sucked complete gorilla poopy pants. There are even shows I can't even make myself to finish the last episode and kind of just let it go without trying to finish it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 7:08 PM

Jul 2013
I like watching anime television shows about conspiracy theories. Are you surprised by that?
Jun 20, 9:05 PM
May 2012
Maybe the older I get the more I look for original content because I'm a little tired of the same plots I've seen over and over again.
Jun 20, 9:11 PM
Feb 2021
I used to really like battle shounens. Now I've gotten sick and tired of them. That's all.
Jun 20, 10:16 PM

Feb 2024
I once avoided anime that went over 24 episodes like the plague. 12 eps was better. I just couldn't stand the filler. I wanted anime that knew what it wanted to say and did it succinctly.

In recent years (like, really recent) something in me gave up on that and my ability to sit through filler has gotten way better. It helps that I can crochet and read subs at the same time now. It keeps me occupied. I think the longer works and their more meandering plotlines are charming now.
Jun 21, 1:15 AM

Mar 2021
They've changed a ton. At first, I was watching it pretty much every day. Then, when I got to university, my numbers dropped significantly, but I still tried to watch as much as I could. Then, from about September '23 to March '24, I watched almost no anime. I'm happy to say I'm getting back into it now.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you care more about Art or Entertainment?

zaganGao - 19 minutes ago

2 by Mualani »»
30 seconds ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 )

Cestlavie_ - 7 hours ago

84 by Cestlavie_ »»
10 minutes ago

» Are you a fan of the Touhou Project series?

DesuMaiden - 3 hours ago

17 by MasterTasuke »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

removed-user - Yesterday

31 by RudeRedis »»
16 minutes ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 9

75 by Punkero »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.