Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2:38 PM

Oct 2020
Every character talks fast and there is no room to breathe between dialogues. I'm all up for dialogue heavy anime but this is too tiring to watch especially because they talk a lot and say very little. It just isn't as engaging as the fast speech in say Tatami Galaxy or the heavy dialogue in Monogatari which is a shame because I was really looking forward to watching this and I like the op and art style.
Apr 16, 2:46 PM
May 2023
Personally I like the way they talk
Apr 16, 2:51 PM

Aug 2013
I love everything about this anime
Apr 16, 3:07 PM

Jul 2021
Yes, but I actually like how weird the conversations feel. It's a little disorienting, which I think fits the show's fast pace, surreal world and comedic tone.

As for the characters not saying anything of substance, I also don't mind that in a gag anime. There are a lot of other things to like about this show. If you're looking for good dialogue, I'm afraid this show is not really trying on that front and may not be for you... But who knows what will happen in the later episodes.
Apr 16, 3:12 PM

Sep 2009
yes because their talking is the weirdest shit in thus series.
Apr 16, 3:54 PM
Nov 2018
I am actually enjoying it.
Apr 16, 3:58 PM
Sep 2016
I kinda hate it too. I'm sticking around for the premise though. Anything can happen.
Apr 16, 4:05 PM
Sep 2019
Definitely don't watch tatami galaxy, or night is short walk on girl.
Apr 16, 4:14 PM

Jun 2019
Well, I just enjoy the sound of the voice of the seiyuu who played Chisato in Lycoris Recoil regardless of the content and substance thereof of what she's actually saying.

But yes, I know what you mean. I love series with extensive and detailed dialogue on pretty much any topic or range of topics, but the pacing of the dialogue can be a little too hurried at times. It may even be the case if I were watching something in my own native language of English and the pacing of spoken dialogue was the same, but when you add in the foreign language element which necessitates the reading of subtitles, then it's just another extra minor layer on top of that. In 99.9% of works that wouldn't be a problem (have no problem reading subs, have been watching everything created in a foreign language in subs for many years now since I prefer to watch everything in its native language, and it's to a point where I often enable subtitles of whatever I'm watching even when they're speaking English), but if it ever was an issue, this would be the 0.1% standout example of something that would be it.

But honestly, it was worst and more of an issue in the first episode when the burden of establishing the world the most thoroughly yet compacted in a format of around 20 minutes was the most heavy. A lot of exposition required for the worldbuilding (or not "required", but it was with the way they wrote and chose to tell the story). The second episode was a little more relaxed with a few more breathers in that respect. And the third episode which just aired was the best yet. If the pacing balanced with the amount of dialogue included was more in line with the third episode for the rest of the season/series, then it would be perfectly fine and even out quite nicely. You'd just have a heavily front-loaded first episode or two and then it will even out and can coast on exploring some of those concepts and circumstances mentioned in the premiere episode.

So yeah, while I see what you're saying and did notice it, it doesn't come across to me as that big of a deal or any form of dealbreaker. At worst I just would rewind or revisit a scene after the fact (even after the episode completely ends - even the next day, next week, or whenever if need, because why not?) to go back if I felt there was any missed spoken information or conveyance of some detail or nuance of a scene.
Apr 16, 4:34 PM

Sep 2018
"Talk a lot and say very little" describes it perfectly.

This anime reminds me of Odd Taxi: a mystery anime in which the banter between the characters is more important than the mystery itself since it makes up 90% of the anime; the difference is that the banter in Odd Taxi is excellent, whereas in Shuumatsu Train... I can see they're trying to make it quirkier than the average anime but the execution is lacking.
Apr 16, 5:10 PM
May 2017
I do not know how it works on your place, but here, teenage girls talk almost like the four cuties, world seems normal, e pur si muove.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Apr 16, 5:46 PM
Feb 2022
i know, this anime is like made in abbys, moe but dark🗿
Apr 16, 5:57 PM
May 2022
SenshadouOtaku said:

yes, each one has their own personalities and different ways they talk, bring more depth to their character.
Apr 16, 6:21 PM
May 2023
Shibaroo said:
SenshadouOtaku said:

yes, each one has their own personalities and different ways they talk, bring more depth to their character.

Yes. I especially like the interactions between reime and akira
Apr 16, 6:36 PM
Aug 2023
I like the back and forth, fast paced banter. I feel it’s actually paced quite well. Sometimes it can feel a little fast but I found that it would always feel good by the end of the interactions.
Apr 16, 7:10 PM
Jan 2019
fair enough, personally I like it because their conversations feel exciting but I get where your coming from
Apr 16, 9:15 PM
Jul 2022
ok so they do talk fast, i thought i was tripping cause none of my friends brought that up yet
personally i think this style of dialogue is closer to the way childhood friends talk to each other
when you've known each other for a long time there arent many pauses, just fast paced banter
but also maybe thats just me and i definetely can understand if this feels overwhelming for people
Apr 16, 10:16 PM

Feb 2020
I agree with you 100%. It's so annoying. I feel like watching Machikado Mazoku, Saiki K or Teekyuu.
Apr 17, 12:29 AM
Dec 2021
I love it, it’s so natural
Apr 17, 1:25 AM

Jun 2020
i hope the writers can have them argue about something that isnt money 🤦‍♂️
Apr 17, 5:56 AM

Oct 2020
Nyamaste said:
Definitely don't watch tatami galaxy, or night is short walk on girl.

I've already seen them and I love them
Apr 17, 12:40 PM
May 2023
I was fine with how they talk ngl
Apr 17, 1:23 PM

Feb 2014
I haven't thought it was fast at all and felt the conversations were natural
maybe you just need to read faster?
Apr 17, 4:13 PM
Apr 2021
Give these girls several cups of coffee and they’ll start talking like the cast of Teekyu!
Apr 17, 4:49 PM
Dec 2022
i personally like how they talk and act. it’s like instead of the normal scary mystery stuff we normally see, we get to see each of them have their own personalities and such. i’ve never watched k-on (i still need to😭) but they remind me so much of that show
Apr 18, 12:58 PM
Jun 2017
I actually love it! But I also mostly understand their banner, if I had to follow all the lyrics I imagine growing tired of that.
Apr 21, 6:34 AM

Jun 2021
Yea I agree, Idk if that's the tone they are going with the anime but I'm not a fan of it.
“Think not of your future or your past, just your current self. Think about the now and focus, then throw out your very identity”
Apr 22, 9:19 AM
Aug 2018
They talk pretty normally I think, I did not notice anything weird about it auntil I read your post.
It's also in character for them to talk about unnecesarry topics because they are bored on that train as hell.
They are also young girls who will talk about pretty much anything to spend the time. They also talk with the speed of a native.
Apr 22, 10:34 AM

Aug 2017
That's the best part about it imo.
Apr 22, 1:52 PM
Mar 2023
It's mimicking manzai comedy, which is supposed to be rapid fire set up punchline routines

When I realized this I had fun spotting how the dialogue sets up jokes

Apr 22, 3:55 PM
Oct 2019
That's the best part of this Anime.
Apr 23, 4:36 PM

May 2014
Teenage girls can talk fast for real.
Apr 28, 6:21 AM
Nov 2020
As someone who watched Saiki Kusuo Psi-nan i don't mind the fast talking... Actually it's slower than the talking in Saiki and their nonsensical talks are also fine with me since they're kids/teenagers. Young girls like to talk a lot and say very little.

I like the diverse personalities of each girl. I think i like Reimi the most then Shizuru (Chika Anzai, didn't expect to find Chisato's VA here makes me like her even more)... The girl with big boobies (forgot her name) is also good to be there to keep Akira and Reimi in check.
May 25, 3:20 PM

Nov 2022
yeah the pacing is too fast, almost like they're purposefully annoying the viewer or clueless about dialogue pacing, there's no breathing room between dialogue lines
May 26, 8:16 AM

Aug 2016
I in turn hate when characters in a show are slow talkers. It feels so sluggish it makes me yawn. Shuumatsu Train banter is perfectly fine for me. The girls are quick to reply and i love that every bit of screen time is put to a good use.
May 26, 8:54 PM

Aug 2016
tatami galaxy and monogatari have the crappiest and most pretentious dialogues in history of anime, that comparison is awful
:v
May 27, 2:23 AM
Aug 2023
The way they talk isn't too bad and kind of entertaining; it's far easier to understand than something like Monogatari
May 28, 9:58 AM

Aug 2020
It's hilarious and serves well to the story wdym

Jun 17, 3:54 AM

Nov 2019
MIME_07 said:
they talk a lot and say very little.

I agree, that has been like 90% of the series. I was expecting more emphasis on the environment for this series since it has some fairly captivating backgrounds and terrain.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jun 24

118 by badabass »»
Sep 1, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10

67 by badabass »»
Sep 1, 5:34 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 3

60 by badabass »»
Sep 1, 6:45 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 27

77 by badabass »»
Aug 30, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Train Doko e Iku? Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 20

103 by badabass »»
Aug 14, 6:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.