Forum Settings
Forums

is it just me or are the explanations sometimes unclear ?(on the world/the way the abyss works etc)

New
Jul 26, 2023 4:21 PM

Jul 2017
I often had problems understanding how the abyss worked and sometimes the story (when they explained things) I felt some tings where implied but not clear enough, and sometimes things were omited.

it may be due to 2 things :
-online translations, that can be mediocre sometimes
-english isn't my first langague (but honestly that'd be like 5 or 10% of it)

still I feel like pretty often, things were unclear. is it just me or does it happen to you ?

also don't get me wrong, the way it works on the big lines is clear enough but I guess on details it isn't
Jul 26, 2023 5:12 PM
Aug 2021
The translations are good and if you dont give any examples of what confuses you then you just look stupid for complaining about something you cant even specify
Jul 27, 2023 4:32 AM
Sep 2021
The impression I've gotten from being in the made in abyss subreddit's discord server, where a number of the online translators at least used to discuss their work and may still do, was that the terms in the Japanese were often quite ambiguous, and relied on the visual context or later dialogue for clarification. The ambiguity you're feeling may be deliberate, in other words.

Spoilers for the most recent chapters of the manga from here on.

As an example, in chapter 63 (or I think it was that one), Faputa told the group that she could sense the approach of something like "layered beings". The 4chan group's quick translation translated this in such a way as to imply that Juusou (Beastmen/Narehate/Hollows outside the village of Ilblu) were made of multiple souls layered as one. Faputa was referring to the approaching Nishagora and Tepasté, layered on top of one another, as pointed out by a member of the more meticulous translation group Narehate scans (or perhaps by an assoicaye of theirs who happened to be in that discord server I mentioned, I really don't remember). This was likely all it was referring to, but the 4chan interpretation was reinforced in the same chapter when one of Srajo's group mentioned "Sherumena", a portmanteau of Sherumi and Menae's names. It would not be until the next chapter (or maybe the one after that?) that it would become clear that the two hadn't been merged into one being, but instead were two distinct characters. I still have no idea why anyone would refer collectively to the two of them as "Sherumena", except to imply that they had some sort of significant bond, which they did, being siblings before they were reincarnated in the abyss (or at least I think that's what happened to them).
The same chapter's release also saw some discussion of a translation discretion between "speeding time" and "hardening time", though perhaps I'm misremembering.
ThuuduujnJul 27, 2023 6:40 AM
Jul 27, 2023 8:53 AM

Jul 2017
Thuuduujn said:
The impression I've gotten from being in the made in abyss subreddit's discord server, where a number of the online translators at least used to discuss their work and may still do, was that the terms in the Japanese were often quite ambiguous, and relied on the visual context or later dialogue for clarification. The ambiguity you're feeling may be deliberate, in other words.

Spoilers for the most recent chapters of the manga from here on.

As an example, in chapter 63 (or I think it was that one), Faputa told the group that she could sense the approach of something like "layered beings". The 4chan group's quick translation translated this in such a way as to imply that Juusou (Beastmen/Narehate/Hollows outside the village of Ilblu) were made of multiple souls layered as one. Faputa was referring to the approaching Nishagora and Tepasté, layered on top of one another, as pointed out by a member of the more meticulous translation group Narehate scans (or perhaps by an assoicaye of theirs who happened to be in that discord server I mentioned, I really don't remember). This was likely all it was referring to, but the 4chan interpretation was reinforced in the same chapter when one of Srajo's group mentioned "Sherumena", a portmanteau of Sherumi and Menae's names. It would not be until the next chapter (or maybe the one after that?) that it would become clear that the two hadn't been merged into one being, but instead were two distinct characters. I still have no idea why anyone would refer collectively to the two of them as "Sherumena", except to imply that they had some sort of significant bond, which they did, being siblings before they were reincarnated in the abyss (or at least I think that's what happened to them).
The same chapter's release also saw some discussion of a translation discretion between "speeding time" and "hardening time", though perhaps I'm misremembering.
okay that's all very interesting, thanks for the answer !
Jul 27, 2023 10:43 AM

Apr 2018
The Srajo arc is just beginning, I am also confused by many things and terms but I guess it will all become clearer in next chapters (hopefully they come soon)
“You are not alone, Ash. I am with you. My soul is with you.” - Eiji Okumura.
Jul 30, 2023 12:05 PM
Jul 2023
I mean the manga isn't finished yet and the anime will have at least 1 more season. I hate shows that explain everything immediately as it happens. the biggest allure in made in abyss for me is the mystery and intrigue. the countless questions and theories i have pop up with every chapter and episode are the strongest factor in propelling me forward. im sure akihito plans to explain everything in time. the manga gives quite a few small but important tid bits of info on the abyss that the anime has left out so far if you haven't read that yet.
May 26, 6:25 PM

Mar 2020
Its unclear because even the characters do not know how the abyss works too, its hard to explain something their cant even understand.
If you like doors welcome to the club Door Lovers!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 61 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Oct 19, 2021

29 by topfloorboss45 »»
Sep 24, 10:06 PM

» When is the manga likely to end

loafing_loafer - Sep 22

6 by loafing_loafer »»
Sep 23, 7:17 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 69 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Aug 31

22 by Dumb »»
Sep 23, 2:57 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 68 Discussion

Satou0Kun - Aug 31

6 by Dumb »»
Sep 23, 2:52 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Chapter 67 Discussion

Xenocrisi - Feb 14

33 by Dumb »»
Sep 23, 2:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.