Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 5, 2022 9:28 PM

Jul 2017
Ryo and Gui Zhang's fight with the Mad Angels under Terry witnessing the fight, and Goro has to witness Nozomi being kidnapped by them. Everything is happening concurrently at the Yokosuka Port, though the recurring gag between Mai and Goro feels shoddy at best.

Mai requesting help from Mark to use the forklift to disrupt their operations, but Mark decides to do that instead to save Nozomi and the rest out. Of course, their fight was faked to belief while Ryo managed to get the message across to Gui Zhang, but they have to face the gang head on as a consequence. This is the holy mother of street fights in Shenmue, and I think they did a decent job here.

Ryo has no choice, but to move on to Hong Kong, but not before bidding farewell to the Alpha Trading Company, a weird marriage confession between Goro and Mai, and also to Jiu Feng Co. under Master Chen...and the most important: facing the final boss Chai and his antics. Too bad that Gui Zhang got injured over this, and that put a stop to his plans to follow Ryo to Hong Kong in search for Lan Di and the Chi You Men cartel.

So far, IMO a good adaptation of Shenmue 1 based off of the main events. Onto Hong Kong with Shenmue 2!
KANLen09Mar 6, 2022 6:30 AM
Mar 5, 2022 9:31 PM

Mar 2014
Damn, I like how I knew they were gonna get married 100% because of how often she was hitting him lmao

Don't like the idea that they just sent a high schooler who can't read or speak any Chinese alone to Hong Kong. Luckily he's the protagonist so surely he'll run into the exact right people he needs to survive
Mar 5, 2022 9:41 PM

Jul 2011
I thought Mark would interrogate Mad Angels boss.

Was bad having to fight half of a gang, but at least Ryo got the motorcycle.

So good be young and marry soon.

Sadly Guizhang was hurt even before beginning the travel, but a least was before, if was mid trip would have a moment where Ryo would have to decide keep going or take care of Guizhang.
Mar 5, 2022 9:52 PM
Nov 2021
Vysarine said:
Damn, I like how I knew they were gonna get married 100% because of how often she was hitting him lmao

Don't like the idea that they just sent a high schooler who can't read or speak any Chinese alone to Hong Kong. Luckily he's the protagonist so surely he'll run into the exact right people he needs to survive

He was speaking in Chinese with Master Chen just before boarding the ship. Not sure if that was included in the dub, if that’s what you’re watching. In episode 4 the travel agent also speaks to Ryo in Mandarin and he acknowledges her but only in the Japanese audio version. The dub just had her talk to him in English.
Mar 5, 2022 9:57 PM
Nov 2021
Pretty good episode I thought. They finished Shenmue 1’s plot and hit all the beats they needed to. Shenmue 2’s story will get plenty of exposition with 8 episodes dedicated to it. I’m looking forward to that.
Mar 5, 2022 10:50 PM

Feb 2019
Wow actually good pacing to wrap up the first game story here. I didn’t realise how short the game was, been so long since I played it. We really need remakes/remasters. Felt bad about him leaving childhood waifu :/
Mar 6, 2022 12:08 AM

Aug 2016
Fitting changes were made and the story of the first game has been wrapped up, as predicted in five episodes.
The battle of 70 men, not quite the motorbike scene and the return of Chai, but finished with a different move.
Onward to game two, this is what I've been looking forward to the most.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Mar 6, 2022 12:50 AM
Sep 2015
What's Ryo's specialized martial art? Karate? Is it what his dojo teach? Anyway, I love him! They don't make a protagonist like him anymore.
Mar 6, 2022 6:35 AM

Nov 2020
phantomfandom said:
What's Ryo's specialized martial art? Karate? Is it what his dojo teach? Anyway, I love him! They don't make a protagonist like him anymore.

Hazuki style, the style of his father, primary jujitsu, and a mix of karate, taijiquan, bajiquan, judo, aikido, etc.

Very good conclusion to Shenmue 1, the new scenes were very funny, and the action was great again, I like how they used real martial arts moves.

It is clear that the creators of the anime are fans of the games and know them well, the way that they have restructured some things and focused on what is important in 5 episodes is really good. Very happy with the adaptation.

Now to Shenmue II!
Mar 6, 2022 8:08 AM

Dec 2018
Beautiful episode, very nice conclusion of the Yokosuka arc, now is time for the Hong Kong arc, i think this arc will be awesome and intense.

To me the anime complement the games and the games complement the anime, if someone want to have a complete Shenmue experience then i recommend both the anime and the games.
Mar 6, 2022 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
Shenmue is my favorite show in this year so far. I don't know if it's because of sentiment left over from the Dreamcast game or it's just really that good. On the way to Hong Kong, let things get started 🔥
Mar 6, 2022 11:55 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So the fake fight between Ryo and Gui Zhang ended in a draw which lead to both of them fighting the Mad Angels. The Mad Angels were defeated when Gui Zhang beat Terry and Nozomi was saved thanks to Mark, Mai, and Goro. Ryo has enough money to take a trip to Hong Kong and his trip was arranged by Gui Zhang's father. Gui Zhang was supposed to go with him, but that sneaky bastard Chai showed up again only this time Ryo was able to dispose Chai by having him sleep with the fishes. However Gui Zhang was not able to travel with Ryo due to his injury while protecting his father, so Ryo is forced to take the long journey to Hong Kong alone and find Lan Di.
Mar 6, 2022 4:15 PM

Jun 2015
I liked this one. The way they gave Goro, Mai, and Mark a bigger role was great, and I LOVED that added scene between Guizhang and Chen. They really did a wonderful job at expanding upon their relationship in the show.
As much as it pains me to say it, though, there were some things that I did not like. First off, the motorcycle scene and Nozomi's goodbye were underwhelming. She didn't even confess, which is such a big part of their goodbye in the game. And for the motorcycle scene, I understand not being able to license Wish... but come on, you could have at least given us a ride through Yokosuka. I love the anime's pacing, but they really would have benefited from slowing down a bit here. Next, both the 70-man battle and the final fight against Chai were sorta...eh? Compared to the fights in previous episodes, they looked a bit cheap and underanimated. Nothing terrible, just a considerable fall in quality. Hopefully, this trend won't continue.

Still, I liked the rest and am staying optimistic :D
Now that I think about it, it's been a while since we've seen Shenhua. Hopefully, there's another added Bailu scene in the next ep.
Mar 8, 2022 7:55 AM
May 2021
I'm still debating on whether or not to play the game.
Mar 8, 2022 6:20 PM

Apr 2008
How can anyone have faith in this adaptation without the forklift races? More seriously, I only played the first game, so I wonder if this will hold my attention without the nostalgia.
Mar 8, 2022 7:29 PM

Jul 2017
Bio said:
How can anyone have faith in this adaptation without the forklift races? More seriously, I only played the first game, so I wonder if this will hold my attention without the nostalgia.

Shenmue 2 has an unbelievable amount of content so the adaption of its story should keep you satisfied.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2022 1:41 AM

Apr 2013
Bio said:

Do you like Kung Fu? Because the next half is definitely going to explore more of it. There's no going around it. Ryo is about to take his next steps in China. The place where kung fu is born, where kung fu masters live.

If that doesn't get you hyped then I dunno what else I can say.
Mar 10, 2022 9:00 AM

Feb 2016
Marinate1016 said:
We really need remakes/remasters.
We got remasters of I & II on 2018 tho.
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Mar 10, 2022 10:40 AM

Feb 2019
StallionXD said:
Marinate1016 said:
We really need remakes/remasters.
We got remasters of I & II on 2018 tho.

Oh word? Never heard about it
Mar 13, 2022 5:02 AM

Nov 2016
Where did that engagement come from? xD I didn't think that so much was going on between those two.

This is fast paced and an example of old school simplicity in a good. I like how the story is straight to the point without wasting time on half assed shit. Characters are simple but likeable, especially Mark, Goro and Chen. Too bad the latter couldn't accompany Ryo on his trip. Gotta keep things more challenging.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2022 1:36 AM

Jul 2015
Too bad Guizhang got injured by that stalker rat, he and Ryou would've formed an unstoppable tagteam otherwise. On a sidenote, Mai and Goro going to marry was some unexpected nice development.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 13 Discussion

KANLen09 - Apr 30, 2022

28 by divlyfein »»
Feb 9, 3:45 PM

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 2 Discussion

KANLen09 - Feb 12, 2022

21 by divlyfein »»
Feb 1, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Shenmue the Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Vysarine - Feb 5, 2022

75 by divlyfein »»
Feb 1, 12:21 PM

» Second season as been canceled

Katzu_kun - Sep 30, 2022

29 by TarikKabir »»
Nov 19, 2023 1:44 PM

» Why is this rated R-17 when the games are teen?

AkihitoZero1224 - Nov 30, 2022

3 by TheRealRouges »»
Dec 1, 2022 12:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.