Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 8, 2016 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
So here's a weird thing I've noticed.
I can think of 3 girls in anime that keep a flying squirrel as a pet (possibly with a kawaii neckerchief)

Suou Pavlichenko - Darker Than Black

Fuu - Samurai Champloo

Kunoichi - Sengoku Musou

So what's up with that?
Is it common to keep flying squirrels as pets in Japan?
Can anyone think of any other characters who have a pet flying squirrel?
Apr 8, 2016 7:53 PM
Jul 2018
Might be because the Japanese Dwarf Flying Squirrel is cute af.

Apr 8, 2016 7:57 PM
Jan 2013
Squirrels are adorable
And since they fly, they're fucking cool
It's perfection in form of a pet
It's pet-rfection
You can't complain bout that
Cause they're perfect
gone bai bai
Apr 8, 2016 8:04 PM

Oct 2014
It's because they're cute.

Cute girls like cute things.
Apr 8, 2016 8:05 PM

Sep 2015
I don't care. They are cute, so every anime should have one squirrel IMO.

You just lost the game
Apr 8, 2016 8:09 PM

Dec 2015
Because they're damn cutes.

I mean, just look at them, how can you not possibly want them animated?
Apr 8, 2016 8:20 PM

Sep 2015
Because they're moe af.

Actually, we need more squirrels in anime...
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Apr 8, 2016 8:42 PM

Dec 2015
Oh my fucking god that's the cutest piece of shit i ever seen!

I want a stupid flying squirrel!
Banner credit to @turnip
Apr 8, 2016 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
What about yellow hamsters that shoot electricity?
Apr 8, 2016 9:04 PM

Jul 2015

I know this is a hamster people don't freak out.
-
-

γ€Œ π˜›π˜©π˜¦ 𝘡𝘳𝘢𝘡𝘩 π˜ͺ𝘴, 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘀𝘩𝘒𝘯𝘨𝘦π˜₯. π˜‰π˜­π˜’π˜€π˜¬ 𝘡𝘰 𝘸𝘩π˜ͺ𝘡𝘦 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘴𝘡π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 𝘨𝘳𝘦𝘺. 」
◐ - βœ‰

-
Apr 9, 2016 1:55 AM

Apr 2010
AvianConfit said:
Might be because the Japanese Dwarf Flying Squirrel is cute af.

+1

Especially when drawn. Also there are usually not ib slice of life, as much as I seen.

Apr 9, 2016 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
Friendly reminder that JoJo has the best squirrels:

Apr 9, 2016 8:39 AM

Dec 2015
I found another one.
From Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland (pretty sure that's not an anime but it's listed on MAL)

Apr 9, 2016 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
The ho from Brothers Conflict also has a pet squirrel. That's one of the few things I remember about that bland ass show.

He's pretty cute though
Apr 9, 2016 10:03 AM

Dec 2015
dizzyur said:
The ho from Brothers Conflict also has a pet squirrel. That's one of the few things I remember about that bland ass show.

He's pretty cute though

You sure that's a he?
The pretty pink bow would suggest otherwise.
Apr 9, 2016 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
dizzyur said:

He's pretty cute though

You sure that's a he?
The pretty pink bow would suggest otherwise.

no, he's definitely male, but seeing as how he's from a reverse harem anime, what do you expect?
I don't even know why precisely he's in the series besides some flimsy comedic relief, although considering that the girl mc gets hassled by the weird ass stepbrothers I guess his description as "bodyguard squirrel" isn't so far off.
Apr 9, 2016 10:07 AM

Jan 2015
They're actually very cute so I don't have an issue with it.
Apr 9, 2016 10:10 AM

Dec 2015
Cute. Do you need any other reason for using em in series?
Apr 9, 2016 10:11 AM

Dec 2015
dizzyur said:

He's pretty cute though

Wow I don't even remember a squirrel in that show. I went in to watching Brother's Conflict not knowing what I was getting myself into. The whole reverse harem thing with generic brothers fighting over one bland ass MC was a turn off to me. It could be that I'm a straight male and don't care about a bunch of anime dudes, but I stuck with it and finished it. Point being, I hated that show so much that I don't even remember a squirrel in it lmao.
Apr 9, 2016 10:13 AM

Dec 2015
edenfruitmasify said:
Robiiii said:

I don't have a problem with them, of course I think they're cute.
I was just wondering whether it's a common thing in Japan to keep them as pets.
Apr 9, 2016 10:14 AM

Dec 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
edenfruitmasify said:
Robiiii said:

I don't have a problem with them, of course I think they're cute.
I was just wondering whether it's a common thing in Japan to keep them as pets.

Probably very rare unless sold in shops nearby. You'll have to google that or go to japan pet shops :p
Apr 9, 2016 10:15 AM
Jul 2018
Cejara said:
dizzyur said:

He's pretty cute though

Wow I don't even remember a squirrel in that show. I went in to watching Brother's Conflict not knowing what I was getting myself into. The whole reverse harem thing with generic brothers fighting over one bland ass MC was a turn off to me. It could be that I'm a straight male and don't care about a bunch of anime dudes, but I stuck with it and finished it. Point being, I hated that show so much that I don't even remember a squirrel in it lmao.

Most reverse harems end up being generic borefests, or they're awful like Diabolik Lovers. Of course they're even worse to the straight male audience, who basically derives even less from them than a female audience does. The only reason why I could stand that stupid show throughout was the artstyle, which like all bland to bad reverse harems with decent art is wasted on the attempts at a "story". Either way the main reason I remember the squirrel is because he was voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya combined with the fact that I like cute animals.
removed-userApr 9, 2016 10:18 AM
Apr 9, 2016 10:49 AM

Dec 2015
dizzyur said:
Cejara said:

Most reverse harems end up being generic borefests, or they're awful like Diabolik Lovers. Of course they're even worse to the straight male audience, who basically derives even less from them than a female audience does. The only reason why I could stand that stupid show throughout was the artstyle, which like all bland to bad reverse harems with decent art is wasted on the attempts at a "story". Either way the main reason I remember the squirrel is because he was voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya combined with the fact that I like cute animals.

I mean, I honestly wouldn't mind a reverse harem if it was a truly good anime, but ones like Brother's Conflict, Diabolik Lovers, and Amnesia are just truly the gold standard for horrible anime. If people actually have one of these in their favorites, it pretty much correlates to poor taste in anime xD. A reverse harem I enjoyed was Ouran Highschool Host Club.

As for the squirrel I kind of remember now that you brought it up. I do remember it acting sort of like a buffer between her and the guys. I almost forgot about the squirrel in Darker than Black too. There is oddly alot of squirrels in anime as pets. Guess the OP found a new re-occuring characterization/trope: the pet flying squirrel lmao.
Apr 9, 2016 11:00 AM

Dec 2014
FLYING SQUIRRELS ARE THE REAL MVPS.
Apr 9, 2016 11:04 AM

Oct 2014
Cejara said:
dizzyur said:

I mean, I honestly wouldn't mind a reverse harem if it was a truly good anime, but ones like Brother's Conflict, Diabolik Lovers, and Amnesia are just truly the gold standard for horrible anime. If people actually have one of these in their favorites, it pretty much correlates to poor taste in anime xD. A reverse harem I enjoyed was Ouran Highschool Host Club.

As for the squirrel I kind of remember now that you brought it up. I do remember it acting sort of like a buffer between her and the guys. I almost forgot about the squirrel in Darker than Black too. There is oddly alot of squirrels in anime as pets. Guess the OP found a new re-occuring characterization/trope: the pet flying squirrel lmao.

Oh boy, you two definitely forgot the that squirrel turned into this by the end of the series.

Yes, ^ this is the squirrel. He turned into the handsome guy because the show thought they need more in the harem.

Brother's conflict was shit same goes with Diabolik lovers and Amnesia. I lost my hope in reverse harem ever being good thx to these shows with their bland ass main female characters.

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character that you whole-heartedly hate? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

swirlydragon - Apr 17, 2021

205 by RareAnimeHunter »»
6 minutes ago

» Are open-ended ending just lazy writing?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

10 by deg »»
12 minutes ago

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - 5 hours ago

20 by Clarissah »»
12 minutes ago

» In Isekai anime, why are some fans so fond of "Truck-kun?"

Trivia-man-Frank - 5 hours ago

6 by alshu »»
22 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows ( 1 2 )

Treatise - Sep 19

70 by RareAnimeHunter »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.