Saiyuuki Gaiden

Licensors: Sentai Filmworks
Studios: Anpro
Source: Manga
Genres: ActionAction, AdventureAdventure, DramaDrama, FantasyFantasy
Duration: 30 min. per ep.
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

1 indicates a weighted score.

External Links

Dec 21, 2015
spartakiss (All reviews)
Let me explain. ... No, it is too much. Let me sum up.

Kazuya Minekura's Saiyuki is a fabulous manga, but due to publisher switches and long hiatuses, it has never quite made it to the world of animation without some major confusion.

The manga is composed of four series: Saiyuki, Saiyuki Reload (which continues from the end of Saiyuki), Saiyuki Reload Blast (which continues from the end of Saiyuki Reload), and a Prequel series called Saiyuki Gaiden which stars the previous incarnations of the series' main characters.

Confused yet? We're only getting started.

If you are coming to the Saiyuki anime for the first time, read more
Apr 18, 2012
Tetsumine (All reviews)
I highly recommend Saiyuki Gaiden. Story wise the Gaiden arc is amazing and definitely my favorite Saiyuki story. It's by far my favorite prequel and one of the best i've seen. It has a brilliantly touching plot that leaves me crying every time, and the character relationships are heart breaking and beautifully depicted. The Gaiden left a strong impact on me, its the type of story that you keep thinking about hours, even days after you've seen it.

The anime however, is not as good as the manga but still a great watch. The Gaiden arc actually starts in Saiyuki episode 40 and 41. So you read more
Feb 3, 2019
Broofy (All reviews)
I have not come to give an analytical review. No, that is not why I’m here. This left me sobbing, I’ve genuinely never been such an emotional wreck before. The story is definitely my favorite in the Saiyuki world, the characters are incredibly well-done. Definitely more bloody than most of the series in general, though given the entire arc as a whole, what did you expect?

Given that this was an OVA, the pacing is fast and can be somewhat chaotic if you’re not totally concentrated. Personally, I would recommend watching at least episodes 40 and 41 from the original series. Though if you really want read more